PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 8, 2017 vs West Coast

Eastdog
27-04-2017, 11:45 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 8, 2017 match against West Coast at Domain Stadium?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
06-05-2017, 05:44 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
06-05-2017, 10:58 PM
Outs: Stringer (inj), Dunkley (inj), M. Boyd (cooked, prove me wrong)

Ins: Wallis, Dale, Campbell/English

Would love Cloke right now, and Dicko, Crameri & Redders being afl ready.

Go_Dogs
07-05-2017, 12:05 AM
Short break and travel, I'd be looking at a few changes and holding a couple back:-

Out: Dunkley, Stringer, M Boyd, Liberatore

In: Dale, Webb, Biggs, English

Dunk and Stringer injured, Boyd and Libba rested (I'm not convinced Libba is at 100%, no idea if a week off will help if he isn't, so likely that won't happen)

Keen for Dale and Webb to play and English gives us a more mobile chop out in the ruck and debuts at home.

Wally, Dicko, Red can all wait another week.

1eyedog
07-05-2017, 12:40 AM
Ins: Wally and Dicko. That's two games for Dicko now and given he had a reasonable preseason and played early in the seaosn I think he comes in. His fitness base is good. I'm picking Wally cause I just want him out there.
Outs: Dunks and Stringer. Dependent on Jake's knee.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-05-2017, 12:45 AM
In: Webb, Campbell, Wallis
Out, Dunkley, M Boyd, Stringer .

GVGjr
07-05-2017, 12:59 AM
Outs Dunkley and Stinger (Both Injured)
In English, (Ruckman for Ruckman) and Dickson (Forward for Forward)

I understand the temptation to drop Matthew Boyd but we will given him another week.

kruder
07-05-2017, 01:24 AM
Outs Dunkley and Stinger (Both Injured)
In English, (Ruckman for Ruckman) and Dickson (Forward for Forward)

I understand the temptation to drop Matthew Boyd but we will given him another week.

How did English go tonight?

GVGjr
07-05-2017, 03:54 AM
How did English go tonight?

Split the ruckwork with Campbell. English did OK. Playing back in WA might be a good time for him to debut.

Go_Dogs
07-05-2017, 09:58 AM
Split the ruckwork with Campbell. English did OK. Playing back in WA might be a good time for him to debut.

Agree on English. Perfect opportunity to play a similar role to Dunkley last night against a WCE ruck division which shouldn't hold significant fear for us.

Re Libba who I mentioned earlier had more of the footy than I realised so I retract that.

DOG GOD
07-05-2017, 12:18 PM
Out - Dunkley, stringer (inj), mboyd (rested/dropped)
In- Webb, dale, English

I'd leave Wallis, Dickson and maybe red for cats

Rocco Jones
07-05-2017, 12:18 PM
I watched all the VFL game yesterday. I was super impressed with English but he spent chunks of the game off the bench and out of the ruck/action. I really do not think he could get through an AFL game. Fans mention him playing a role similar to Dunkley however there is a massive different at the moment with cardio and body strength capacity to get through games. If English was being managed as he is in line to play next week, then that's fine. Just seems like he isn't ready cardio wise and we are building him up.

With the Eagles tall forwards, I think we will get Adams down back. We really need another tall forward and I was very impressed with Redpath. If our medicos think he is right, I would bring him straight in.

I still think Matthew Boyd can offer us value, even depth wise however a 6 day break trip to Perth isn't the scenario.

Dickson is quality but there are doubts over him being able to get through a game. He was on and off a lot in the first half and I think he needs another game. Redpath to me looks a lot more ready fitness wise.

In: Redpath, Wallis, Dale
Out: Stringer, Dunkley, M.Boyd

bornadog
07-05-2017, 12:22 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if Cloke comes back next week.

always right
07-05-2017, 03:41 PM
Out: Stringer, Dunkley
In: Wallis, Dale

I'd prefer Campbell in but he's not demanding a spot and I think Bevo is happy to go in with one ruckman. Wallis and Dale are in great form and deserve being promoted.

Mantis
08-05-2017, 08:32 AM
Talk that Roughy is good to go.. Does he come straight in?

Go_Dogs
08-05-2017, 08:36 AM

Wouldn't have thought so after such a long layoff.

Ozza
08-05-2017, 10:31 AM
Might be a crazy idea - but is it worth considering just playing English this week even though it is premature?

Gives Boyd the opportunity to spend more time forward and both Big boys would hopefully make it a bit harder for McGovern and Barrass to mark. He's a WA boy, get him to debut in front of his family and friends and get the experience of an interstate trip - inject a debutant into the side which seems to get the team up at times.

Mofra
08-05-2017, 10:51 AM
Might be a crazy idea - but is it worth considering just playing English this week even though it is premature?
No. After seeing him in the flesh on Saturday, hell no.

He is miles off it physically. On potential I think he's been a little undersold from what I saw (he'll be a star, he looks fantastic in space and had some very quick off the ground touches/taps that are AFL quality cleanness) but he looks a couple of pre-seasons away.

Mofra
08-05-2017, 10:53 AM

Tempted by Dickson but not sure we'd roll the dice with two underdone players. Webb is close too.

LostDoggy
08-05-2017, 11:53 AM
West Coast have Yeo, Barrass & McGovern who are elite intercept players. Richmond had 1 in Rance and we still struggled to even half a contest in our forward 50.

We need a tall or 2 to be able to atleast get the ball on the deck for our smalls to go to work. Cloke or Redpath would be ideal, but doubt either are ready.

Adams will be needed back this week, so it will be very interesting how we shape up forward...

I think we have no choice but to go in small and hit lead up targets. Which goes against our constant bombing long blindly we have been doing to date.

West Coast lost the inside 50s 68-39 on the weekend. Yet still won the game.

Ins - Dickson, Wallis, Biggs

Outs - Stringer, Dunkley, Boyd

Rocco Jones
08-05-2017, 11:58 AM
Really hope Dickson was managed with Eagles in mind in the VFL rather than not able to play a full game. He would be a massive in this week if physically up to it.

Rocco Jones
08-05-2017, 12:01 PM
I think Redpath looked more physically ready to play Friday than Dickson.

westbulldog
08-05-2017, 12:06 PM
With our goal kicking inaccuracy write off this game, bring in anyone.

Happy Days
08-05-2017, 12:13 PM

Out: Dunkley, Stringer

(EDIT - Just remembered that Boyd rested last week. He stays in)

Wallis seems ready and Dale needs to be rewarded. Dickson back in next week, and the temptation to bring Red back in has to be resisted. Badly wanted to bring TC in but the VFL thread makes that sound impossible to justify.

bornadog
08-05-2017, 12:50 PM
I think Redpath looked more physically ready to play Friday than Dickson.

Redpath has missed 9 months of senior footy - too early at this stage.

bornadog
08-05-2017, 12:50 PM
In: Cloke, Wallis

Out: Dunks, String

1eyedog
08-05-2017, 01:53 PM
In: Cloke, Wallis

Out: Dunks, String

Has Cloke recovered?

Mofra
08-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Has Cloke recovered?
AFL website still lists him as 2-4 weeks away

LostDoggy
08-05-2017, 02:26 PM
[QUOTE=Mofra;553281]AFL website still lists him as 2

It also listed Redpath as 3-4 weeks away!

bulldogtragic
08-05-2017, 07:15 PM
So we're not likely to have Stringer, Dicko, Roughy, Crammers, Cloke & Redders (all injured or not afl ready). Bloody hell.

So... Do we bring in Collins down back and move Cordy &/or Adams forward all match? The way Bevo spoke about Campbell, I'm not sure he'd even play him as a deep forward/ruck and McGovern/Barass would work off him I imagine. Or look at English as a forward/ruck with Boyd? I imagine it would be nice for English to debut in front of family and friends.

So mulling over it again:

Ins: English, Wallis & Dale
Outs: Stringer, Dunkley, M. Boyd

Where in the ground M. Boyd was making mistakes, was up around high half forward. I don't want him there, so I'd much rather have Bailey Dale there and using his nice touch there. Inside mid for inside mid. English forward/ruck for Stringer, and helping Boyd out. Without so many good forwards, we will simply adapt as we do. Precise entries and not school yard bombing long will be the order of the day.

Biggs maybe stuff, be he should be told to string some good games, dominate the shit out of VFL. I'd be happy with Webb if Wallis needs another VFL run. I'd like one of Adams or Cordy up forward, but we might not get that with WCE having tall forwards, unless we select Collins, but I don't see that happening. Perhaps Bob as a roaming CHF and checking McGovern, with our tall forward deep. Will be interesting again to see what we do and how we do it.

GVGjr
08-05-2017, 07:29 PM

Perhaps if this game wasn't interstate.. I wouldn't risk it

Axe Man
08-05-2017, 07:41 PM
Do we really need all of Cordy, Roberts and Adams back against West Coast? They have Kennedy, Darling and the resting ruck (Vardy/Giles who are hardly forwards we would be losing sleep over).

I would have thought Roberts to Kennedy, Cordy to the resting ruck and Wood to Darling would suffice with Adams able to go forward as he did against Richmond. Alternatively swap Adams and Cordy.

comrade
08-05-2017, 07:53 PM
Does WC have an overly tall forward line? They've got Kennedy of course, but Darling doesn't play overly tall. Who else am I missing?

EDIT: didn't see the above post which essentially asks the same question :eek:

ratsmac
08-05-2017, 08:43 PM
Out
Stringer, Dunkley

In
Wallis, Campbell

I think Wallis is as ready as he'll ever be and is an ideal replacement for Dunkley.
I really wanted Redpath in but I think he'd be better for the run if he plays at least another game at Footscray. That's why I went with Campbell because he can ruck and go forward to mark or at very least bring the ball to ground which is something we struggled to do against Richmond. Its make or break time for Campbell .

Darling is over the moon that Dunkley is out injured too BTW

always right
08-05-2017, 09:36 PM
We torched the Eagles in the final with our run. I'll be staggered if we don't take a similar approach this week. For that reason Campbell won't come in.

ratsmac
08-05-2017, 11:38 PM
We torched the Eagles in the final with our run. I'll be staggered if we don't take a similar approach this week. For that reason Campbell won't come in.

I know what your saying but we are a ruckman down from last year and also no Stringer. I also feel teams are preparing for our run and handball game a lot better this year because of the success we had with it.

I don't think Campbell is our answer to fixing any our forward issues but I think with what we have available at the moment we need either Boyd or someone with some sort of height in our forward line to keep the Eagles defenders accountable for someone.
I don't think English is quite ready yet from what I've heard and Redpath probably needs to be eased back. Campbell wins because he's tall. I didn't think his form was that bad either to be honest. He's just not everything Bevo wants him to be unfortunately.

boydogs
09-05-2017, 12:23 AM
In: Wallis, Campbell

Boyd has to play forward with Stringer out

MrMahatma
09-05-2017, 12:41 AM
Out: Stringer and Dunks
In: Dickson and Wallis

The Pie Man
09-05-2017, 11:13 AM
They probably won't play Red but it must be tempting, especially with Stringer out - has also pinch hit in the ruck as well.

Wallis looks a no brainer

In: Dale, Wallis

I'd be very surprised to see Campbell come in.

always right
09-05-2017, 11:32 AM
In: Wallis, Campbell

Understand your thinking but Stringer is not really an aerial threat so I'm not sure Boyd is a like for like replacement.

Mantis
09-05-2017, 12:12 PM
Understand your thinking but Stringer is not really an aerial threat so I'm not sure Boyd is a like for like replacement.

At least he is >190cm.. McGovern & Barrass will have a field deal if we go small and deliver the ball like we have all year.

Clint EastonWood
09-05-2017, 12:16 PM
Out: Strings, Dunks, Boydy.
In: Dicko, Wallis, Dale.

Campbell is being taught a lesson by Bevo (won't go to Perth), he has to reward VFL form with our 3 ins.

LostDoggy
09-05-2017, 12:32 PM
Out: Jakey and the Dunk
IN: Red/Dicko (whoever is fitter, straight kicking would be nice), WALLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEE (if its safe, otherwise Webb or Dale)

bornadog
09-05-2017, 01:22 PM
Out: Strings, Dunks, Boydy.
In: Dicko, Wallis, Dale.

Campbell is being taught a lesson by Bevo (won't go to Perth), he has to reward VFL form with our 3 ins.

Do you think he will drop MBoyd - I would be surprised

Nuggety Back Pocket
09-05-2017, 03:15 PM
Out: Jakey and the Dunk
IN: Red/Dicko (whoever is fitter, straight kicking would be nice), WALLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEE (if its safe, otherwise Webb or Dale)

You would be tempted to play both Redpath and Dickson, given their ability to straighten us up forward. Without both Jake and Dunkley maybe this is the week to experiment with a different attack. Redpath also becomes a better option as a second string ruckman to Tom Boyd.

Mofra
09-05-2017, 03:30 PM
Boyd is a crumber?
That's how Stringer generally plays

Rocket Science
09-05-2017, 03:38 PM
Something tells me we'll be seeing a bit of Adams forward in this one.

Jeez it'll be comforting when in some far off fantasy land the injury and form gods conspire to give us some freakin continuity inside forward fifty.

LostDoggy
09-05-2017, 06:20 PM
Out-Stringer,Dunkley.

In-Big Jack,Wallis

1eyedog
10-05-2017, 11:39 AM
I think Dicko just has to play thia week.

ledge
10-05-2017, 12:06 PM
Just heard it looks like Wallis and Dickson will come in as they are training with the main group.

Bulldog4life
10-05-2017, 04:23 PM
If we beat West Coast it will be the first time in history that we have beaten them 3 times in a row. Let's do it doggies.

kruder
10-05-2017, 05:11 PM
Mclean looked a little cooked against Richmond I wouldn't mind Dale coming in for him was unlucky to be dropped and Perth should suit him. Wallis and Dickson(play deep all night) to cover the obvious.

bornadog
10-05-2017, 05:24 PM
Open Training

The Western Bulldogs will hold an open training session on Thursday May 11 at Domain Stadium (Subiaco Rd, Subiaco WA 6008), commencing at 4:00pm (approximately).

ratsmac
10-05-2017, 06:39 PM
Mclean looked a little cooked against Richmond I wouldn't mind Dale coming in for him was unlucky to be dropped and Perth should suit him. Wallis and Dickson(play deep all night) to cover the obvious.

I was thinking the same thing about McLean then I looked up his stats and he still had the pill 20 times. Stats aren't everything but it shows he is still getting it. I suppose the coaches would know if he needs a break or not.

boydogs
11-05-2017, 12:21 AM
Boyd is a crumber?
That's how Stringer generally plays

What would you do?

jeemak
11-05-2017, 01:21 AM
Having now watched the game.

In - Dickson, Wallis

Out - Stringer, Dunkley

Wallis is disciplined to do a job forward if need be. He can kick goals.

bornadog
11-05-2017, 10:12 AM
Webb on the plane to Perth. Playing or emergency?

bornadog
11-05-2017, 11:18 AM
Bevo Press Conference:

* We're not getting caught up too much in team selection this week and what they'll do, we'll wait until later in the day to see the 22s

* We're pretty firm with the team we'll name, how West Coat go, particularly around the ruck, will influence tactically how we go.

* Lukas Webb is one we're taking on the plane across, he's a beautiful kick and he's developed a good balance as a midfielder.

* Mitch Wallis will play again at VFL level this week. He's just has the two games and we want to let him build still at that level.

* We had to be at our best to beat the Eagles in Perth last time, they're a formidable opponent, with a strong intercept defence.

* Jordan Roughead and Stewart Crameri will both play at VFL level this week, Tory Dickson will have a spell this week

soupman
11-05-2017, 11:27 AM
So based on that likely cadidates to be in would be Dale, Campbell, Biggs. Sounds like Webb is the travelling emergency.

Although no mention of Redpath playing in the VFL again (he mentions all the others returning from injury) could mean a surprise selection.

kruder
11-05-2017, 11:43 AM
Dickson to have a spell is a strange one?

Mofra
11-05-2017, 11:52 AM
What would you do?
Play small. Stringer plays forward / mid and we have a number of players who can play forward / mid. Bailey Dale was unlucky to get dropped, Webb comes in for Dunkley considering Bevo has said Wallis and Dickson won't play.

We beat WCE last time with run (and their selection of Brown didn't help them). We're not going to beat them with height, their talls are outstanding.

comrade
11-05-2017, 11:55 AM
If Dale & Webb come in, I'd be giving them the ball as much as possible. Williams too. 3 of our better inside 50 kicks.

bornadog
11-05-2017, 11:58 AM
Dickson to have a spell is a strange one?

Maybe he has been a naughty boy

bornadog
11-05-2017, 11:59 AM
Is Tim English a chance to come in and debut in front of the family?

Mantis
11-05-2017, 11:59 AM
Play small. Stringer plays forward / mid and we have a number of players who can play forward / mid. Bailey Dale was unlucky to get dropped, Webb comes in for Dunkley considering Bevo has said Wallis and Dickson won't play.

We beat WCE last time with run (and their selection of Brown didn't help them). We're not going to beat them with height, their talls are outstanding.

So if we select small, we have to play small.. No long bombs to McGovern, Barrass & Yeo... Kick it out in front or along the ground.

Mofra
11-05-2017, 12:45 PM
So if we select small, we have to play small.. No long bombs to McGovern, Barrass & Yeo... Kick it out in front or along the ground.
That's the plan.
Last time we did play Zaineforward purely defensive though to try and stop McGovern's intercept marking, he absolutely kills teams over there.

Mofra
11-05-2017, 12:46 PM
Is Tim English a chance to come in and debut in front of the family?
With respect, I hope not.
Physically he looks a mile off.

always right
11-05-2017, 02:02 PM

That would obviously be the plan.....implementing it is another thing. I can see us going in with one tall(ish) forward, Marcus Adams to keep their defenders as honest as possible. I don't see Boyd as someone who would do that as effectively.

1eyedog
11-05-2017, 02:12 PM
We'll be going in with a team of mids soon. Not a bad option.

soupman
11-05-2017, 02:39 PM
Is this week the week for dribble kick inside 50s?

LostDoggy
11-05-2017, 02:58 PM
Bevo Press Conference:

* Lukas Webb is one we're taking on the plane across, he's a beautiful kick and he's developed a good balance as a midfielder.

* Mitch Wallis will play again at VFL level this week. He's just has the two games and we want to let him build still at that level.

* Jordan Roughead and Stewart Crameri will both play at VFL level this week, Tory Dickson will have a spell this week

Damn, I was hoping to see Wally. For me that means Webb and hopefully Red to come in for the injured duo.

Is this week the week for dribble kick inside 50s?

I've been waiting for years us to fully implement game plan Z.

always right
11-05-2017, 03:10 PM
Must say, I'm really concerned about us kicking enough goals. Has never been as much pressure for us to win clearances.

bornadog
11-05-2017, 05:38 PM
Bob Murphy not on plane to Perth

Nuggety Back Pocket
11-05-2017, 05:38 PM
Must say, I'm really concerned about us kicking enough goals. Has never been as much pressure for us to win clearances.

We are beginning to look very light on in attack without Stringer Cloke Dunkley Dickson Crameri and Redpath. This is going to be very tough to see where the goals are going to come from.

dadsgirl16
11-05-2017, 05:40 PM
Yeah just heard that on SEN...rested?

bornadog
11-05-2017, 05:53 PM
Yeah just heard that on SEN...rested?

Bob Officially Rested

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_hrhqfVYAAyvsC.jpg:large

Mofra
11-05-2017, 06:00 PM
We are beginning to look very light on in attack without Stringer Cloke Dunkley Dickson Crameri and Redpath. This is going to be very tough to see where the goals are going to come from.
Stringer was hampered last finals series so it's only Dickson who was really a threat up forward that we're missing, with Dunkley spending a lot of time in the middle.

If Smith can maintain his form we're in with a real chance, West Coast have excellent tall defenders but small forwards can worry them.

ledge
11-05-2017, 06:04 PM
Triple m reported bizarre scenes as big name doesn't show at airport .. Bizarre scenes ??? Really ? I wonder what the bizarre scene was ?

bulldogtragic
11-05-2017, 06:05 PM
Triple m reported bizarre scenes as big name doesn't show at airport .. Bizarre scenes ??? Really ? I wonder what the bizarre scene was ?

A Tiger flight actually took off on the day they scheduled. Stranger things hey.

bornadog
11-05-2017, 06:08 PM

Bob Murphy not playing - officially rested

ledge
11-05-2017, 06:13 PM
Bob Murphy not playing - officially rested

Hardly a bizarre scene !

ledge
11-05-2017, 06:14 PM
A Tiger flight actually took off on the day they scheduled. Stranger things hey.

Now that is bizarre

kruder
11-05-2017, 06:49 PM
Makes sense now Bevo was cagey in the interview which is unlike him going in with a real young side indeed

soupman
11-05-2017, 06:52 PM
Apparently both Hamilton and Redpath are training with the side in Perth

Bulldog4life
11-05-2017, 06:52 PM
From what I have heard in Redders Dale Webb out Stringer Dunks Murph.....emergency Hamilton

Eastdog
11-05-2017, 07:00 PM
From what I have heard in Redders Dale Webb out Stringer Dunks Murph.....emergency Hamilton

Will be keen to see how Jack and Lukas. Jack was fantastic last week in the VFL and we are in need of some forward power particularly now that Stringer is likely to miss.

I guess not that surprising with Bob. We are looking after our veterans. Bob this year has been very good in our games.

Eastdog
11-05-2017, 07:01 PM
Hardly a bizarre scene !

That's the media nowadays for you.

comrade
11-05-2017, 07:14 PM
I'm not a huge Jack Redpath fan as I think he's too limited to really prosper at the top level, but if he does play, you can't begrudge his work rate to get back from a knee so quickly.

Mantis
11-05-2017, 07:15 PM
Apparently both Hamilton and Redpath are training with the side in Perth

I thought that was him in the pic Bornadog posted... looking away from us wearing the black nikes.

1eyedog
11-05-2017, 07:22 PM
I thought that was him in the pic Bornadog posted... looking away from us wearing the black nikes.

I thought that was Adams.

1eyedog
11-05-2017, 07:26 PM
Yep confirmed Redpath, Dale and Webb as ins.

Redpath starting FF. Good luck to him.

Full back: M Boyd M Adams J Johannisen
Half back: E Wood F Roberts B Williams
Centreline: L Hunter L Dahlhaus J Macrae
Half forward: C Daniel Z Cordy C Smith
Full forward: L Jong J Redpath L Picken
Follower: T Boyd M Bontempelli T Liberatore

Interchange: M Suckling T McLean L Webb B Dale

Emergencies: M Wallis M Honeychurch D Hamilton

bulldogtragic
11-05-2017, 07:27 PM
Yep Redpath, Dale and Webb.

We are going to be the youngest and/or most inexperienced team this round again for sure. Good test for the lads.

Eastdog
11-05-2017, 07:27 PM
Who do you think will do the ruck duties this week?

G-Mo77
11-05-2017, 07:30 PM
Jack's back!

Huge surprise. I thought it would have been a week or two at VFL level. No true ruck again this week so Boyd, Redpath and I guess Jong share the duties

Eastdog
11-05-2017, 07:32 PM
Yep confirmed Redpath, Dale and Webb as ins.

Redpath starting FF. Good luck to him.

Hopefully Red can bring his VFL form from last week into tomorrow's game. Will be a good challenge for him.

Mantis
11-05-2017, 07:34 PM
Huge surprise. I thought it would have been a week or two at VFL level. No true ruck again this week so Boyd, Redpath and I guess Jong share the duties

I would be hoping that Jack goes no where near the ruck.. I think Cordy might be in there a little more this week instead of Jong who's shoulder looked sore last week.

comrade
11-05-2017, 07:38 PM
I'm not a huge Jack Redpath fan as I think he's too limited to really prosper at the top level, but if he does play, you can't begrudge his work rate to get back from a knee so quickly.

bornadog
11-05-2017, 07:46 PM
Honeychurch emergency

jeemak
11-05-2017, 07:46 PM
I'm super happy for Red, hopefully he's confident in the knee and good to go.

Go_Dogs
11-05-2017, 07:47 PM
Any word on HC? Hasn't played for a few weeks and named as emergency.

Red to spend time in the ruck?

bulldogtragic
11-05-2017, 07:49 PM
3 knee recos, first game back, harder WA ground. I hope Jack isn't running knee first into other players and landing however his legs drop down.

Bulldog4life
11-05-2017, 07:57 PM

Was playing his best footy just before he got injured. Kicked 20 or so goals in 10 games and his leading and aggressive forward play was very impressive. I think he will be a good player for us over the next few years

Rocco Jones
11-05-2017, 08:04 PM
I watched the whole VFL game and called for Jack to come straight in. I think Bevo is less about how many VFL games a player plays and more about how close to their running load they are at. Jack ran out the game at least to his normal level whereas Dickson was constantly on and off (which he has some fitness base issues at the moment too).

I was also impressed with Dec Hamilton's kicking inside 50 on Saturday, very impressed actually. Definitely something we need. He just needs to not go missing, massive risk to play at AFL level at the moment but there is massive upside.

Rocco Jones
11-05-2017, 08:07 PM
I really hope Jack doesn't play in the ruck though. Tom Boyd and Jong should be fine against Vardy and McInnes. Zaine could also have a go there.

Happy Days
11-05-2017, 08:18 PM
Woah that forward line looks anaemic. Gonna need a few goals from the mids if we're any chance.

Nuggety Back Pocket
11-05-2017, 08:19 PM
I watched the whole VFL game and called for Jack to come straight in. I think Bevo is less about how many VFL games a player plays and more about how close to their running load they are at. Jack ran out the game at least to his normal level whereas Dickson was constantly on and off (which he has some fitness base issues at the moment too).

I was also impressed with Dec Hamilton's kicking inside 50 on Saturday, very impressed actually. Definitely something we need. He just needs to not go missing, massive risk to play at AFL level at the moment but there is massive upside.

Like you I am happy to see Redpath back as we badly lack a key leading forward. Pleased to see also Webb and Dale given chances as they together with Williams should become regular senior players in the future. This will be a tough assignment given the number of senior players missing at the moment.

Doc26
11-05-2017, 08:19 PM

Tend to hold the same opinion but a worthwhile stop gap nonetheless and super impressed by the big man's hunger and capacity to come back from his second reco.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-05-2017, 08:34 PM
I tend not to overthink our team selections with our current coaching panel, given the success we've had. I trust their decision making more than that of our previous coaching regimes.
I wonder if Big Red's selection comes down to the fact we think that with Darling & Kennedy we are certain that we will need Adams all game down back? And thus with Boyd rucking we would have no other tall targets up front?

The only concern for me is that Jack's lack of mobility without the ball is going to make it hard for us to keep the ball inside our forward 50. And a good portion of our scoring opportunities rely upon our ability to keep the ball inside our 50 and get repeated shots on goal. To me the extent that we can keep the ball inside our 50 for large periods of time is going to be pivotal to us getting the outcome we want.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-05-2017, 08:43 PM
Who is captain tomorrow. Easton or Bont?

bulldogtragic
11-05-2017, 08:46 PM
Who is captain tomorrow. Easton or Bont?

Easton is VC.

comrade
11-05-2017, 08:50 PM
Woah that forward line looks anaemic. Gonna need a few goals from the mids if we're any chance.

I can see Bont playing 50%+ up forward this week and wouldn't be surprised if he kicked 4 or 5.

always right
11-05-2017, 09:11 PM
Some don't believe Redpath is up to senior level. If he isn't he's as close you'll ever come. I think he's our best leading forward by some way and apart from Dickson, our best set shot within 40m. Happy if we can get the ball into his hands regularly tomorrow.

bornadog
11-05-2017, 09:12 PM
Let's hope Red doesn't ruck

ratsmac
11-05-2017, 09:19 PM
Tend to hold the same opinion but a worthwhile stop gap nonetheless and super impressed by the big man's hunger and capacity to come back from his second reco.

Its actually his 3rd reco doc.

Im happy with these ins. Again I was way off in my predictions. I'm sure Bevo reads WOOF and deliberately does the opposite of the popular opinion.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-05-2017, 09:35 PM
This and next week are season shaping games i reckon. We can afford to drop one, but not both.
And a won this week could be vital in getting the momentum required to beat Geelong next Friday.

westdog54
11-05-2017, 10:15 PM
Hardly a bizarre scene !

Triple M have become very on "click-bait" with their online articles. It shots me to tears.

Can't wait to see Redpath.

Doc26
11-05-2017, 10:33 PM
Its actually his 3rd reco doc.

Im happy with these ins. Again I was way off in my predictions. I'm sure Bevo reads WOOF and deliberately does the opposite of the popular opinion.

Yes, you're spot on, my error. Even more impressive that he's had the mental strength to keep persevering.

Dry Rot
11-05-2017, 10:38 PM
Who's going to bash Sam Mitchell?

bornadog
11-05-2017, 11:43 PM
Who's going to bash Sam Mitchell?

Cordy of course :D

Rocket Science
12-05-2017, 12:49 AM
Cordy of course :D

Battle of the wayward knees.

LostDoggy
12-05-2017, 01:41 AM
Fantastic seeing Jack back, might straighten us up nicely.

G-Mo77
12-05-2017, 01:48 AM
I would be hoping that Jack goes no where near the ruck.. I think Cordy might be in there a little more this week instead of Jong who's shoulder looked sore last week.

Hopefully not. Dale to play Dunkley's role and do some ruck work?

Axe Man
12-05-2017, 11:38 AM
Hopefully not. Dale to play Dunkley's role and do some ruck work?

Dunkley has got 7cm on Dale though. Might as well just toss Caleb into the air for the ruck contests!

Daughter of the West
12-05-2017, 11:44 AM
Might as well just toss Caleb into the air for the ruck contests!

Cheer leading style? That would be all kinds of amazing!

The Pie Man
12-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Seems temptation proved too great re: big Red.

I'm a fan, but after just a week back at VFL after a knee reco with his history? Must be confident.

Yet Mitch has to play a 3rd week at VFL?

It'll all make sense once the next few weeks play out I'm sure. Just doesn't right now.

Rocket Science
12-05-2017, 01:30 PM
Might as well just toss Caleb into the air for the ruck contests!

We've tried just about everything else so if we haven't at least workshopped this behind closed doors I'll go hee.

G-Mo77
12-05-2017, 02:03 PM
Dunkley has got 7cm on Dale though. Might as well just toss Caleb into the air for the ruck contests!

I really don't think he's just over 180. In person Bailey looks much taller than that.

Axe Man
12-05-2017, 02:32 PM
I really don't think he's just over 180. In person Bailey looks much taller than that.

Even so I'm not sure he's cut out for ruck work. Hopefully Cordy can go in there against McInnes and at least break even.

G-Mo77
12-05-2017, 02:39 PM
Even so I'm not sure he's cut out for ruck work. Hopefully Cordy can go in there against McInnes and at least break even.

Dunkley didn't seem like it either and he still isn't yet he still does a small amount of work there.

Adams will likely do most of hiis time down back so Cordy could be a candidate.

It's nice being inovators even though it's been forced on us.

Mofra
12-05-2017, 03:41 PM
Worried about Redpath - first game back after a knee reco against a red hot tall defensive unit who are likely to rotate through him and run him around as much as possible. Hope he goes ok.

LostDoggy
12-05-2017, 04:28 PM
Although it is a risk, I'm pretty excited by Red's inclusion. I remember him playing a very good game at Subiaco a year or 2 ago despite us geting flogged. He seemed to really appreciate the space to lead into. If he leads hard, provides movement and a physical presence, he'll be a good addition to the team.

Whilst a few of us have been disappointed with our performances this year, a win here gets us to 6-2 off a short pre-season with a very young team and the most injuries in the comp. With massive room for improvement and Roughy, Dickson, Morris, Cloke and others not far away, a win here would really leave us very well positioned.

Huge game. Go Dogs.

1eyedog
12-05-2017, 05:00 PM

He is. I posted up last year being surprised by Dale's growth spurt. He stood next to me in the outer at Etihad and I'm 186cm and he was clearly taller than me. I'd say 189ish. Good third tall size.