PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 9, 2017 vs Geelong

Eastdog
27-04-2017, 11:49 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 9, 2017 match against Geelong at Simonds Stadium?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
12-05-2017, 11:26 PM
Bump

comrade
12-05-2017, 11:39 PM
Matt Boyd out, Murphy in.

Libba out, Wallis in.

comrade
12-05-2017, 11:40 PM
Smith out, Dickson in if fit.

bulldogtragic
12-05-2017, 11:41 PM

Libba out, Wallis in.

Out: M. Boyd, Libba, Hunter/Suckling

Ins: Bob, Wallis, Dicko/Roughy/Cram/Cloke/English

josie
12-05-2017, 11:44 PM
Agree with Comrade. Also I would drop Suckling and bring in Roughy or Dickson in for Suckling. Is Libba carrying an injury? Never seen him so ineffectual. Webb, Dale and Williams all did enough to stay in for mine.

bulldogtragic
12-05-2017, 11:45 PM
Agree with Comrade. Also I would drop Suckling and bring in Roughy or Dickson in for Suckling. Is Libba carrying an injury? Never seen him so ineffectual. Webb, Dale and Williams all did enough to stay in for mine.

Agreed, and the kids need some strings of games. They have silky skills which can't be said for all.

westbulldog
12-05-2017, 11:54 PM
early days but :_

Out Libba, Smith, M Boyd
In Wallis, Murphy, Dickson

G-Mo77
12-05-2017, 11:55 PM

Libba out, Wallis in.

Never happen, should but won't. Suckling has got to go for mine as well.

Roughy any chance to come up?

always right
13-05-2017, 12:42 AM
In
Murphy, Wallis, Dickson

Out
Moyd, Libba, Dale

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-05-2017, 12:45 AM
In: Wallis, Murphy
Out: Suckling, Libba(can't believe I'm saying this)

bornadog
13-05-2017, 02:43 PM
In: Wallis, Dickson, Murphy
Out: Libba, Boyd, Dale,

1eyedog
13-05-2017, 03:44 PM
In: Wallis, Dickson, Murphy
Out: Dale, Boyd, Suckling

bulldogtragic
13-05-2017, 04:30 PM
Looking at Geelong's set up, they have a good ruck spread, Stanley (good sized, mobile), Smith (tall/strong) & Blicavs (ruck/winger/flanker).
We could try to match them up really well with Roughy (good sized, mobile), Boyd (tall, strong) & English (ruck/winger/flanker).

Ins: (1) Wallis, (2) Bob (3) English (4) Roughy
Outs: (1) Libba, (2) Moyd (3) Suckling (4) Smith/Dale (I'd personally prefer to have a few games in a row. In & out isn't great.

1 & 2 are like for like. 3 is owing to match ups. 4 helps make our forwardline taller/diverse with Boyd & Roughy spending time forward.

If we can nullify Danger & Selwood getting first hands on it by using our best ruck options, and diverse options, and then clamping them throughout the game we go a long way to winning. But having Roughy we allow ourselves Toyd & Redders as genuine tall options (& English depending on where he impacts most) which should help in the aerial aspect, but also bringing the ball to ground which will hopefully bring in crumbling options. It will also, assuming we can get momentum, force them into paying more respect down back with leaving Taylor and others down there. If English can do a similar job to Blicavs, use height to mark, ruck only if needed, use his skills like a midfielder and work hard on Blicavs, then they may to use Blicavs more defensively if English has some impact. By having three genuine rucks, we don't have take Cordy out of defence or force Jong into the ruck. Again, helps the team.

Plus we can use Adams back at CHB, as a variety of defenders for Hawkins, Menzel, Black etc.

1eyedog
13-05-2017, 05:22 PM
Agree with much of the above BT bearing in mind Blicavs has been absolutely useless this year and is horribly out of form. No one has the third man up rule affected more than him.

GVGjr
13-05-2017, 05:25 PM
How confident are we that the coaching team would pull the trigger on M.Boyd or Suckling?

I tend to this they should be candidates but I doubt they would seriously be considered by those making the decisions.

GVGjr
13-05-2017, 05:26 PM
Agree with much of the above BT bearing in mind Blicavs has been absolutely useless this year and is horribly out of form. No one has the third man up rule affected more than him.

I still think he would be a great addition in our team. We could use him as a key defender who moves into the ruck.

1eyedog
13-05-2017, 05:37 PM
I still think he would be a great addition in our team. We could use him as a key defender who moves into the ruck.

I agree. I think his drop in form can be attributed to the aforementioned rule change as well as Geelong having a plethora of his type which means he does not get to play his primary role, which I think is as you've described.He seems to fill gaps at the moment and not very effectively and he has not adjusted to the multitude of roles he's been assigned this season.

He was essentially a midfielder last year but has hardly played there this season due to the rule change.

Happy Days
13-05-2017, 06:13 PM
Nope. At the risk of getting Billingsed Blicavs has been totally exposed since the one thing he could do well got legislated out of the game. He's also pretty much stopped racking up the gaudy possession numbers that were formerly his standard fare. If the Geelong ruck situation wasn't somehow worse than ours he'd be just about dropped.

Rocco Jones
13-05-2017, 11:39 PM
In: Wallis, Bob
Out: Dale, Williams

Really do not want to drop two kids but we seem destined to be play heaps of games decided in the last quarter and I don't think they will help us win games short term.

Ironically, when the side gets stronger with the return of quality players, it will be easier to play the kids. I also think Etihad environment suits them more than Friday Night in Geelong.

GVGjr
14-05-2017, 08:00 AM
In: Wallis, Bob
Out: Dale, Williams

Really do not want to drop two kids but we seem destined to be play heaps of games decided in the last quarter and I don't think they will help us win games short term.

Ironically, when the side gets stronger with the return of quality players, it will be easier to play the kids. I also think Etihad environment suits them more than Friday Night in Geelong.

I think this is the most likely scenario. As much as the likes of M.Boyd and Suckling should be dropped/rested we don't seem to make those types of decisions.

1eyedog
14-05-2017, 08:32 AM
I won't be surprised to see three changes with Dicko in as well. Two VFL games and then a rest implies he'll come in as we don't want him playing off a six day break.

Rocco Jones
14-05-2017, 10:43 AM
I think this is the most likely scenario. As much as the likes of M.Boyd and Suckling should be dropped/rested we don't seem to make those types of decisions.

For me, next week is about the short term. A win would really help set up our premiership race and we will be a bit undermanned. Williams and Dale just do not do enough to effect a game when it's there to be won. I think M.Boyd and Suckling are safer bets. That said, I have the pair next to go when other players are back.

I trust our VFL development system. When we are closer to full strength, I would like to see 1-2 spots in the side with more of a developmental/long term focus for players like Dale, Webb and Williams. Hopefully they can just warrant a spot soon enough as we do also need their types.

If Dickson is right and just being managed for Geelong, I would have Matthew Boyd coming out for him.

G-Mo77
14-05-2017, 12:12 PM
I won't be surprised to see three changes with Dicko in as well. Two VFL games and then a rest implies he'll come in as we don't want him playing off a six day break.

Yep. Bevo did mention him and the 6 day break in his press conference. I think he'll come in as well.

bornadog
14-05-2017, 01:01 PM
For me, next week is about the short term. A win would really help set up our premiership race and we will be a bit undermanned. Williams and Dale just do not do enough to effect a game when it's there to be won. I think M.Boyd and Suckling are safer bets. That said, I have the pair next to go when other players are back.

I trust our VFL development system. When we are closer to full strength, I would like to see 1-2 spots in the side with more of a developmental/long term focus for players like Dale, Webb and Williams. Hopefully they can just warrant a spot soon enough as we do also need their types.

If Dickson is right and just being managed for Geelong, I would have Matthew Boyd coming out for him.

what is your view on Libba?

Dry Rot
14-05-2017, 01:33 PM
What's the story with Stanley's injure knee?

Murphy'sLore
14-05-2017, 01:34 PM
Would we consider tagging Danger and Selwood? Give Wallis and Picken their old jobs back for a week. Might help Picken regain some touch to give him a more defined task?
And yes, I know Bevo doesn't like tagging, but tactically it seems to be the way to shut down Geelong.

Dickson, Wallis, Murphy must come in.

Rocco Jones
14-05-2017, 02:05 PM
what is your view on Libba?

My view on Libba is influential where it matters, despite being off by his standards. He is still elite in tacking and have been one of our best in contested possessions and clearances. That said, was very poor on Friday night. Still overall, I actually think he has contributed a fair bit this season.

Rocco Jones
14-05-2017, 02:07 PM
Would we consider tagging Danger and Selwood? Give Wallis and Picken their old jobs back for a week. Might help Picken regain some touch to give him a more defined task?
And yes, I know Bevo doesn't like tagging, but tactically it seems to be the way to shut down Geelong.

Dickson, Wallis, Murphy must come in.

We went with close checking jobs on the pair last time we played. Libba and Macrae were doing a great job until they got injured.

I watched the VFL game against Richmond and Dickson struggled to run out a game at that level. Think he would need to burn it on the track.

Nuggety Back Pocket
14-05-2017, 03:39 PM
My view on Libba is influential where it matters, despite being off by his standards. He is still elite in tacking and have been one of our best in contested possessions and clearances. That said, was very poor on Friday night. Still overall, I actually think he has contributed a fair bit this season.

Libba might just rise to the occasion if given added responsibility in being used again as a tag on Dangerfield. In form Libba is still one of our real strengths. Providing he came through unscathed yesterday you would have to be tempted to play Roughead. Tom Boyd is a lot better as a second string to Roughy and was pretty ordinary against West Coast without taking one mark. Boyd/ Roughead can also go forward allowing Adams to play more permanently in defence.

Rocco Jones
14-05-2017, 04:58 PM
Libba might just rise to the occasion if given added responsibility in being used again as a tag on Dangerfield. In form Libba is still one of our real strengths. Providing he came through unscathed yesterday you would have to be tempted to play Roughead. Tom Boyd is a lot better as a second string to Roughy and was pretty ordinary against West Coast without taking one mark. Boyd/ Roughead can also go forward allowing Adams to play more permanently in defence.

Roughy blowing hard pretty early and he was in and out of the ruck. I think he might need another week.

Moz could be a chance. We know he is the type of player who can come back and contribute straight away. He would be massive.

Whilst I think Libba has still been good, I agree there's something a bit off with him (his default is so good though). I am not sure he has the legs to go with Danger or Selwood. Maybe in spurts? Macrae is my best bet.

ratsmac
14-05-2017, 06:24 PM
Outs

Dale, M. Boyd, Smith

Ins

Wallis, Murphy, Dickson

I've pretty much gone like for like with my selections.

Wallis for Dale in the mid forward role, Murphy for Boyd in the mature defender role and Dickson in for Smith in the small forward role.

I would love to bring in Roughy if his fitness is good but I'd imagine he'd need a couple more games in the two's first. Webb would be the unlucky one to miss in this case.

Libba hasn't been himself lately and I am hoping the terrible game against West Coast is enough to wake him from his slumber.
Suckling is on notice as well. His strength is his foot skills and they haven't been anything special. Special is what he needs to bring because he isn't the best defender getting around.

Bullies
14-05-2017, 06:49 PM
Yep. Bevo did mention him and the 6 day break in his press conference. I think he'll come in as well. Mail is Dickson is a certainty having been set for this game

Rocco Jones
14-05-2017, 10:32 PM
Would love to have Dickson back in if he is right.

With all our injuries, we need as many players who can positively influence a game as possible for us. With Dickson, he can have a quiet one and still snag a couple of goals.

Looking at the peripherals of our 22 from Friday night from least influential onwards...

Dale- I think he is going to reach a tipping point where he only needs 15 touches to influence a game but at the moment I think he goes missing for too long during games. Massive upside and I would love us to be able to 'carry' him a bit when we have a stronger side in.

Williams- love his kicking but feel he is a safer bet to the outside friendly Etihad Stadium. Again can be very quiet for chunks of the game and doesn't seem to get near it when the heat is really on. Very positive on him long term.

M.Boyd- struggling clearly but can at least find it 20ish time and have a mature body so gives him a better base. Safer option whilst we are waiting for our best 22. Would be an out for me if Dickson, Bob and Wallis are all in.

Suckling- again can find it a bit and have a weapon in his kicking (which isn't great atm).

Clay- it's a bit all or nothing with Clay. He either kicks a few and is a constant presence or doesn't get near it. Is it his body? Do we need to mange him? (perhaps needs to miss every 6 day break, not travel etc).

Webb- continually adding to his physicality and has a weapon in his kicking. Just needs to find his role in the side.

Mantis
15-05-2017, 06:05 PM
In - Dickson, Wallis, Murphy, Morris

Out - Dale, Libba, Suckling, Roberts

Still early in the week, but that's what I'm thinking at the minute.

bornadog
15-05-2017, 06:10 PM
Cloke and Morris will be tested this week, so may be available.

Roughead pulled up well and Murph was rested.

ratsmac
15-05-2017, 06:56 PM
In - Dickson, Wallis, Murphy, Morris

Out - Dale, Libba, Suckling, Roberts

Still early in the week, but that's what I'm thinking at the minute.

Sheesh! What did Roberts do wrong to be dropped? I know he was caught out 1 on 1 with Kennedy a few times but I thought he's earned a few credits this season to have an off day. Although if he's one out with Hawkins it could get ugly.

Rocco Jones
15-05-2017, 07:23 PM
What a list of potential ins!

In- Bob, Moz, Dickson, Wallis, Roughy
Out- Dale, Williams, Z.Cordy, Suckling, I would say Matthew Boyd but would leave us short on HBFs! So not sure. The 5th in line would need to be really right (crazy what not HAVING to find guys to fill your 22 does

Ozza
15-05-2017, 08:09 PM
We've really struggled to keep key forwards under control since Morris got injured.
And yes, before you jump on that, I know Morris doesn't always play on a tall forward - but he either does sometimes, or he shuts down another player which impacts the way the ball comes inside 50.
Since Morris went down;

Syd:
Reid 6.1
Buddy 4.3

Freo:
No bigs got a hold of us - but only because McCarthy dropped several chest marks and could have done better than 2 goals.

North:
Ben Brown 4 goals.

Lions:
Hipwood 3 goals

Giants:
Cameron & Patton 7 between them.

Tigers:
Riewoldt 4.1

Eagles:
Kennedy 3.6
Darling 2.0

Mantis
15-05-2017, 09:12 PM
Sheesh! What did Roberts do wrong to be dropped? I know he was caught out 1 on 1 with Kennedy a few times but I thought he's earned a few credits this season to have an off day. Although if he's one out with Hawkins it could get ugly.

I don't rate his ability to defend individually and prefer others... He is good at coming off his man, but is too often left in no mans land.

comrade
15-05-2017, 09:31 PM
Just play Morris so I don't tear my hair out every time it goes inside defensive 50. I know we've kept teams to under 100 in every game but his presence is worth at least an extra goal saved.

I would include all of Morris, Roughy, Cloke, Murphy & Wallis.

I'd take out Roberts, Dale, M Boyd, Libba (spell) & Smith.

boydogs
15-05-2017, 10:21 PM
6 changes this week

Out: Dale, Williams, Webb, M Boyd, Libba, Cordy
In: Dickson, Murphy, Cloke, Morris, Wallis, Roughead

I agree. Geelong's losses have come with those two well down. They just don't have anyone else stepping up

GVGjr
15-05-2017, 10:55 PM
What a list of potential ins!

In- Bob, Moz, Dickson, Wallis, Roughy
Out- Dale, Williams, Z.Cordy, Suckling, I would say Matthew Boyd but would leave us short on HBFs! So not sure. The 5th in line would need to be really right (crazy what not HAVING to find guys to fill your 22 does

I talked to Moz tonight, I don't think he is confident of a return this week to the seniors. Tomorrow's training might tell the story

You would have to think Dickson is ready to return

bornadog
15-05-2017, 11:31 PM
I don't rate his ability to defend individually and prefer others... He is good at coming off his man, but is too often left in no mans land.

I thought he was terrible v West C. Bevo should have put him forward and Adams back in the last quarter.

LostDoggy
16-05-2017, 05:45 AM
After the hard trip to Perth and a few tough games in a row where we have looked a little bruised and tired, I think the time is right for a significant freshen up:

In: Wallis, Murphy, Roughy, Dickson
Out: MBoyd, Smith, Suckling, Libba/Dahl (injured/in need of rest?)

INS
Our biggest problem seems to be our forward set up. I'd put Roughy straight back in as a Roughy, TBoyd/Jack Ruck/key forward combo significantly alters the dynamic (should be for the better). With Cloke and Stringer 1-3 weeks away, we will have a lot of big decisions to make in the coming month or so.
Dicko will also add to the forward mix as a smart natural forward who runs to the right spots and finishes. Sorely needed attributes at present.
Bob and Wallis are obvious quality and must come in. A few of our mids/flankers are looking tired and, after a WA trip, 2 sets of fresh legs will be a plus.

OUTS
At this point of the season (especially after the Perth game), I'd like to see the younger/freshe Williams, Webb and Dale kept in the team. They have worked hard for opportunity and have shown enough to be retained. For our long term its best their efforts are rewarded with further games.

On the other hand, a few of the more senior players are looking tired/out of form. MBoyd an Suckling are plain struggling and would benefit from a little break from AFL level action.

Smith is a little stiff as he remains dangerous, but one of the semi-permanent forwards needs to make way for Dicko and his form has been marginal, a freshen will most likely do him good also.

Libbas lack of output has been well covered (although he remains our best hard ball winner and tackler) whilst Dahlhaus has undertaken a prodigious workload this year and may be in need of rest - his 4 contested possession, 0 clearance, 0 tackle game last week was well below the standard he has set. Suspect both have injury issues and either o both will need a game off.

Ozza
16-05-2017, 09:49 AM
6 changes this week

I don't think it would be ideal to bring in all 6 at once - 5 of which could potentially be under done.

Mantis
16-05-2017, 09:51 AM
I don't think it would be ideal to bring in all 6 at once - 5 of which could potentially be under done.

Yeah, bringing in 5 under-done players never works. ;)

Ozza
16-05-2017, 09:53 AM
Yeah, bringing in 5 under-done players never works. ;)

I knew there'd be someone....

1eyedog
16-05-2017, 11:51 AM
6 changes this week

I agree. Geelong's losses have come with those two well down. They just don't have anyone else stepping up

I'd keep Libba in and drop Smith. With the extra goal kickers coming in (Dickson / Cloke) and the addition of Redpath last week i feel we now have enough goal scoring potential. Clay has a knack of kicking bags of goals but he's been inconsistent. If he's not kicking goals regularly he lacks impact elsewhere, he'll continue to build no doubt.

I like Libba in the team against Geelong which is probably a reflection of how well he was going down there last time before he was injured. I'd be surprised if we tag Danger or Selwood but I reckon Bevo will be inclined to put a defensive mid on one of them and this role may be the tonic for Libba.

LostDoggy
16-05-2017, 01:35 PM
I'd keep Libba in and drop Smith. With the extra goal kickers coming in (Dickson / Cloke) and the addition of Redpath last week i feel we now have enough goal scoring potential. Clay has a knack of kicking bags of goals but he's been inconsistent. If he's not kicking goals regularly he lacks impact elsewhere, he'll continue to build no doubt.

I like Libba in the team against Geelong which is probably a reflection of how well he was going down there last time before he was injured. I'd be surprised if we tag Danger or Selwood but I reckon Bevo will be inclined to put a defensive mid on one of them and this role may be the tonic for Libba.

I wouldn't drop Smith, with the extra goal kickers coming in like you said it's all the more reason to keep him in. I think he plays his best when he gets less attention and if Dickson / Cloke come in I can see him getting off the leash so to speak.

Plus Geelong aren't the quickest side.

1eyedog
16-05-2017, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't drop Smith, with the extra goal kickers coming in like you said it's all the more reason to keep him in. I think he plays his best when he gets less attention and if Dickson / Cloke come in I can see him getting off the leash so to speak.

Plus Geelong aren't the quickest side.

Yeah I don't want to but the quality under him is pretty high. Cordy needs to be omitted I think. He's obviously kept his place due to structural requirements rather than form so with Cloke and Morris* shoring up our big man stocks and with Boyd freed up due to Roughie's returnI can't see him retain his place.

Availability is potentially very high leading into the bye and we are very close to best 22 available which is a lovely issue to have.

*Big re. play on 3rd talls like Menzel.

bornadog
16-05-2017, 04:18 PM
Bevo Press Conference:

* We've got to process before Friday night, so good thing is we're pretty healthy

* Jordan pulled up really well and got through unscathed. Tory, Dale will definitely play, but still got to get through training

* It's always a trade off, coming back do they have the fitness. So need to make informed decisions. Mitch will be in the mix

* Its a big positive, but two most important things is dedication to conditioning and our staff to get them ready

* They probably need continuity, we like to provide it and when we can we want to back our young kids in

* It's the most we've had to select from for a while. Stewart Crameri will go in for surgery on hip Monday, could miss a month

* We felt like in last quarter we came back into game and some control, felt way we playing gave ourselves a chance

* Quite a bit is between the ears, not accurate enough in general play. Continue to work on it

* I imagine Cats will be stinging, there's a challenge for us to finally beat them after so long. Very best players can dismantle

* Always prepare for the very best and ferocity and that's the challenge

* Our mandate to look at their last performance, aware of how they've stayed in games and come back.

comrade
16-05-2017, 05:12 PM
Bevo Press Conference:

* It's the most we've had to select from for a while. Stewart Crameri will go in for surgery on hip Monday, could miss a month

Probably not the exact thread to go into this in detail, but Crammers has been struggling with a hip injury all year and has missed at least 1 game with it already. Why has he been playing through it rather than getting it sorted out early, giving him a better chance to come back and play some meaningful footy in the back half of the year.

bornadog
16-05-2017, 05:56 PM
Can we play Boyd, Roughead, Cloke and Redpath in the same team?

bornadog
16-05-2017, 06:06 PM
Top Dogs return as Crameri heads for surgery

Ryan Davidson May 16, 2017 4:01 PM

WESTERN Bulldogs forward Stewart Crameri has re-injured his troublesome hip and will be sidelined for at least a month.

But it's not all bad news for the Dogs with with Bob Murphy, Travis Cloke, Jordan Roughead and Mitch Wallis all in the mix to return for Friday night's match against Geelong,.

Crameri appeared hampered in the VFL over the past fortnight, and coach Luke Beveridge said the hard-running forward would require surgery to fix the problem that's allowed him to play just two senior games this season.
Lured from Essendon on a lucrative four-year deal at the end of 2013, the 28-year-old has battled indifferent form in his time at Whitten Oval.

"Stewie Crameri is going to some surgery next Monday, so he won't be available for probably a month or so," Beveridge said on Tuesday.
It's just a little bit of a clean out. It's just been impeding him a little bit and giving him a fraction of grief.
"Hopefully that will help free him up and in the back end of the year he'll find best form."

All Australian defender Dale Morris is almost a certain starter for the Bulldogs' clash with Geelong on Friday night, after recovering from a broken leg.

The 34-year-old sustained the injury in the round-one win over Collingwood, and Beveridge said the reliable veteran would be a welcome addition to the eighth-place Dogs if selected.

Key forward Cloke (ribs) is also a chance to return, as is goal sneak Tory Dickson from an abdominal strain.

Ruckman Roughead is likely to spend another week in the VFL in his return from a serious hamstring injury, but could be called upon to face the Cats.

Wallis will also be considered for the Simonds Stadium clash after three impressive weeks at state-league level since returning from a badly broken leg.

With the Dogs not having beaten the Cats since 2009, Beveridge will have a different type of selection headache this week as he plans for the club's first win in Geelong since 2003.

"It's probably the most (fit players) we've had for a quite a while," he said.
"One week it's like this, the next week who knows? It's always a trade off with boys coming back.
"Have they got the match fitness? (Are) they acclimatising to the level, especially players who have been out for a while like Dale?
"So we need to make studious and informed decisions around (selection) to make sure we go in fit and healthy and ready to be our best."

For the second year running, the Dogs will stay the night before the game on the Bellarine Peninsula to avoid the traffic snarls of driving to Geelong in peak hour.

While he refused to divulge the location of where the team will bunk down, Beveridge said the practice was a logistical one.
'It just makes sense, so we'll do that again and we felt it worked for us last year," he said.

"Our performance was OK, and in the end it allows us to take control of (the trip) and know that our 22 players are down there and we don't have to worry about a staggered arrival."

comrade
16-05-2017, 06:10 PM

IMO, no but we might structure it up so Red plays deep, Cloke leads up higher from HF and Rough/Boyd share ruck duties while pinch hitting up forward.

always right
16-05-2017, 06:45 PM
Reckon the cats are pretty slow in defence so I'd prefer we go in with a more mobile forwardline. Redpath stays in and Cloke comes back via Footscray. Dickson in for Smith, Murphy in for Dale, Morris in for Williams, Wallis in for Libba. Roughy one more week at Footscray.

Reckon Libba and Webb fighting it out for the same spot. Would like to see Bevo back the young bloke in even though he might be tempted to give Libba the job on Selwood.

G-Mo77
16-05-2017, 07:08 PM

Nope. One of Redpath and Cloke should miss.

LostDoggy
16-05-2017, 07:13 PM
Webb played very well against WCE, I'd be disappointed to see him dropped

Mantis
16-05-2017, 08:17 PM
Webb played very well against WCE, I'd be disappointed to see him dropped

To your view what made his game so good?

boydogs
16-05-2017, 11:37 PM

Yeah, it will probably be 3 or 4. Maybe Cloke & Roughead miss

Very much the same situation as before the EF though, we decided to bring them all in and it paid off

Libba needs to lift his game, 8 touches doesn't cut it. Even a decent game from Libba last week could have been the difference

Probably not the exact thread to go into this in detail, but Crammers has been struggling with a hip injury all year and has missed at least 1 game with it already. Why has he been playing through it rather than getting it sorted out early, giving him a better chance to come back and play some meaningful footy in the back half of the year.

They must have been hoping it would settle down after the swelling and bruising dissipated, but it didn't

Sedat
17-05-2017, 12:03 AM
Maybe bring in Our Mastermind for Bevo this week, seeing as Rhoder was the last Dogs coach to salute at the Cattery. Christ I hate that ground.

Bulldog Revolution
17-05-2017, 01:21 AM
Maybe bring in Our Mastermind for Bevo this week, seeing as Rhoder was the last Dogs coach to salute at the Cattery. Christ I hate that ground.

Was he really?

I remember winning their in 1998 - but can't remember one since

Sedat
17-05-2017, 01:29 AM
Was he really?

I remember winning their in 1998 - but can't remember one since
Late in season 2003 - we got the spoon but beat Geelong twice that season. In R1 we beat Geelong at Etihad when Granty did his ACL. From memory we didn't win another game until the return fixture at the Cattery about 16 weeks later. Just a bloody awful season.

1eyedog
18-05-2017, 10:53 AM
Geez I'm getting bloody edgy about this game. There's no one I'd rather beat than this mob.

jeemak
18-05-2017, 11:55 AM
I'm with you 1ED. I hate the dominance these jerks have over us, I hate their faces and I hate their arrogance.

bulldogtragic
18-05-2017, 12:12 PM
I'm with you 1ED. I hate the dominance these jerks have over us, I hate their faces and I hate their arrogance.

What I hate is that we know in advance that Dangerfield won't get holding the ball against him, while we will. And that Selwood will get high contact frees for dropping his knees, while Toby McLean will not and that knob Ling will laud the first two names and criticise McLean for trying to get frees and calling out comments about our handballs being 'too quick' etc.

Death, taxes and this shit.

jeemak
18-05-2017, 12:27 PM
One thing I can give credit to Cameron Ling for is that he's realised a career as a sycophant will be more prosperous for him than one as a coach.

Unfortunately for us we have to hear the reasons why every weekend on the TV, rather than watch him torture and prove himself to be no good at the latter.

Axe Man
18-05-2017, 01:07 PM
Watching the West Coast game last week my wife asked "Does Cameron Ling not like the Bulldogs or something?"

She doesn't barrack for the dogs and I've never mentioned him to her before, so there is a neutral view of his continual extremely thinly veiled swipes as us.

1eyedog
18-05-2017, 01:42 PM
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/05/18/dogs-should-pull-the-trigger-plough/

That is the question.

soupman
18-05-2017, 04:00 PM
What I hate is that we know in advance that Dangerfield won't get holding the ball against him, while we will. And that Selwood will get high contact frees for dropping his knees, while Toby McLean will not and that knob Ling will laud the first two names and criticise McLean for trying to get frees and calling out comments about our handballs being 'too quick' etc.

Death, taxes and this shit.

Correct me if I'm wrong but has Toby ever not been given a high freekick? And tbf he contributes to his fair share of them.

1eyedog
18-05-2017, 04:12 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but has Toby ever not been given a high freekick? And tbf he contributes to his fair share of them.

Yep a clear one paid in the WC game and a clear one not paid.

comrade
18-05-2017, 04:25 PM
The best thing about Toby is when he draws a free it looks like attempted murder and the umpires find it hard not to pay it.

bornadog
18-05-2017, 04:56 PM

Only one this year from memory, since the rule change.

Mantis
18-05-2017, 05:04 PM
Does the poor weather forecast change our selections?

I had Libba as an out initially, but in an in-close game he needs to play... Not sure what impact Redpath has in the wet, damn those 2 joe-the-gooses as I prefer others.

bornadog
18-05-2017, 05:07 PM
Does the poor weather forecast change our selections?

I had Libba as an out initially, but in an in-close game he needs to play... Not sure what impact Redpath has in the wet, damn those 2 joe-the-gooses as I prefer others.

Cloke in Geelong training.

Smads57
18-05-2017, 07:23 PM
Libba a definite out according to Tim Watson while Cloke and Wally in.

Mantis
18-05-2017, 07:26 PM

5 changes in total.

In - Morris, Cloke, Murphy, Wallis, Dickson

Out - M.Boyd (shoulder), McLean, Cordy, Libba, Roberts

bornadog
18-05-2017, 07:27 PM
See above

bulldogtragic
18-05-2017, 07:29 PM
It would be nice if the article and email to members called spell Zaine's name correctly...

Clokey, Dickoey, Wally, Bobby, Morrisy

comrade
18-05-2017, 07:29 PM
Bevo has a fair set to pull off those changes.

bulldogtragic
18-05-2017, 07:31 PM
Official In:

Competition for spots
Continuity and reward for kids in Webb, Dale & Williams
Players playing in their recruited positions, Adams & Boyd

Outs:

Just OK form holding your spot
Yo-yoing kids in and out
Having to use plan b because of *!*!*!*!ing injuries

bornadog
18-05-2017, 07:32 PM
Libba had to be dropped, Matty shoulder problem

bulldogtragic
18-05-2017, 07:32 PM
Dear Geelong VFL, whomever has the ball best fear with their well being from Tom Liberatore. Sincerely *!*!*!*! you all, BT.

DOG GOD
18-05-2017, 07:34 PM
With cordy and Roberts out, surely Adams has to play on Hawkins....thank god Stanley's out

comrade
18-05-2017, 07:39 PM
Redpath and Cloke on a wet Geelong night doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. Late out on the cards?

josie
Wow!! Glad Bevo gave the young ones another game as I felt they all deserved it. Sends a clear message if you do not perform chances are you will be dropped. Will be fascinating to see how Redpath and Cloke gel. Also dropping Roberts and Cordy means Morris and Adams will have to deal with Hawkins. Anyone surprised by Maclean being dropped? I was. And is Roughy emergency in case Cloke or Morris not able to play? Any chance Bevo does not plan to play Cloke and will do late swap with Roughy? Sounds like a soap opera. Heading to game tomorrow and reckon it will be a beauty with plenty of fire. Go Dogs!!

ratsmac
The team looks good but I hate seeing it without Libba. I'm not saying he should be in because his form hasn't been great, I just like seeing him out there. He'll be back and he'll be angry.

Roberts and Cordy out is a surprise. Maybe weather conditions forced this one.

always right
18-05-2017, 07:46 PM
Redpath and Cloke on a wet Geelong night doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. Late out on the cards?

You still need some big bodies in the wet. Reckon they're good selections.

Love how Bevo has shown faith in the young blokes....great for their confidence.

Rocket Science
18-05-2017, 07:51 PM
Curious, particularly after the media surrounding Libba this week.

Is it form-related? Is he a definite VFL starter? Is he injured?

Pretty thrilled with those ins though. Warms the heart to see Wally back in the squad.

Webby
18-05-2017, 07:56 PM

Pretty thrilled with those ins though. Warms the heart to see Wally back in the squad.

I'd say the Mumford crunch had an effect on Tom.. Has been a bit down since..

SlimPickens
18-05-2017, 08:00 PM
It would be nice if the article and email to members called spell Zaine's name correctly...

Clokey, Dickoey, Wally, Bobby, Morrisy

Not 100% sure the club provides the content for team announcements. Ie the club provides the teams to the AFL, the AFL provide the story

kruder
18-05-2017, 08:08 PM
Bont to get more midfield minutes in this one with the forward line strengthened. Big game indeed the most interesting of our year so far and probably our most important. It's time doggies time to beat the cats!!!!!!!!!!!

GVGjr
18-05-2017, 08:11 PM

Libba has been selected for Footscray as has Tristian Tweedie

Cordy, Roberts, Biggs, Mullenger-McHugh, Collins and Russell make for a tall Bulldogs backline.

1eyedog
18-05-2017, 08:12 PM
I'm amazed Dale keeps his spot. Has not shown anything and a wet Geelong track, really? Kind of game that would suit Libba. Weird selection.

Rocket Science
18-05-2017, 08:14 PM

Aye. So if he's labouring surely we wouldn't put him through the rigmarole of a VFL tilt.

Looking ahead, tend to think having Wally back will help lighten Libba's load.

1eyedog
18-05-2017, 08:19 PM
Aye. So if he's labouring surely we wouldn't put him through the rigmarole of a VFL tilt.

Looking ahead, tend to think having Wally back will help lighten Libba's load.

Is Libba playing VFL?

comrade
18-05-2017, 08:20 PM
Is Libba playing VFL?

He's named.

comrade
18-05-2017, 08:22 PM
I'm amazed Dale keeps his spot. Has not shown anything and a wet Geelong track, really? Kind of game that would suit Libba. Weird selection.

I think it's a team culture decision like Stringer, Macrae, Crameri previously. Dale may not have the outward output but still ticking off internal KPIs, while Libba may be (and obviously is) miles off where Bevo wants him. Just reinforces to the group that no one is bullet proof, which I think is a good thing long term. Takes balls of steel to pull the trigger but let's be honest, Libba has given us little the past fortnight and would be playing if he had. Wallis is a nice replacement and finger's crossed, this propels Libba to the level we know he's capable of.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
18-05-2017, 08:26 PM
Sad to see Libba dropped but i hope he can rediscover his best in the VFL and get back to being the force he is.
As for Wally I'm so stoked to see him back. Hopefully he can inspire his teammates and have an immediate impact. He must be absolutely champing at the bit to get back on the big stage.
The acid is really on us this week and i hope we can rise to the challenge.
I think we are going to come out super aggressive and really put Geelong under immense pressure.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-05-2017, 08:28 PM
Will be throwing it down in Geelong tomorrow night. Surely suits us

Remi Moses
18-05-2017, 08:31 PM
As we saw with Jake last year you need to perform .
Bailey Dale didn't do much last week, and is a tad lucky to keep his spot .
Will be interested to see how Redpath and Cloke go together . Cordy and Roberts perhaps also unlucky

comrade
18-05-2017, 08:35 PM
Interesting to compare Bevo's approach to Scott's. Geelong have lost 3 on the trot and are playing some average footy, yet the only unforced change he makes is omitting a fringe midfielder.

bornadog
18-05-2017, 08:39 PM
Interesting to compare Bevo's approach to Scott's. Geelong have lost 3 on the trot and are playing some average footy, yet the only unforced change he makes is omitting a fringe midfielder.

They have no depth at Geelong

comrade
18-05-2017, 08:41 PM
They have no depth at Geelong

Easy for their senior players to get away with sub par performances.

bornadog
18-05-2017, 08:41 PM

Hasn't played well the whole year. Should have been dropped a few weeks ago.

Rocket Science
18-05-2017, 08:42 PM
Must confess when the heat's on tomorrow night I reckon I'd rather have McLean at the coalface than Dale.

Hope he rewards the faith.

Remi Moses
18-05-2017, 08:45 PM
On the flipside Stanley killed us last year , andcnive to see him out

comrade
18-05-2017, 08:45 PM
Must confess when the heat's on tomorrow night I reckon I'd rather have McLean at the coalface than Dale.

Hope he rewards the faith.

Hope he has a good one. The McLean omission is a strange one, seems to be playing ok but we're obviously not privy to the objectives the players are working towards so all we can do is trust the MC. Their track record is pretty good.

1eyedog
18-05-2017, 08:46 PM
I think it's a team culture decision like Stringer, Macrae, Crameri previously. Dale may not have the outward output but still ticking off internal KPIs, while Libba may be (and obviously is) miles off where Bevo wants him. Just reinforces to the group that no one is bullet proof, which I think is a good thing long term. Takes balls of steel to pull the trigger but let's be honest, Libba has given us little the past fortnight and would be playing if he had. Wallis is a nice replacement and finger's crossed, this propels Libba to the level we know he's capable of.

I hope so I just have a strong feeling that the Libba dropping is premature. Would rather him go out last week on a dry track in Perth as opposed to a wet one in Geelong. Wally in potentially reduces damage in the midfield even if only half fit. Still, it's a game that would test Libba's mental resolve. He's good in the wet and good on Dangerfield. Admittedly he's been sub-par since the Mummy knock, just hoping we haven't shot ourselves in the foot.

bulldogtragic
18-05-2017, 08:47 PM

I think it sends an additional positive messages that if you get promoted you'll get a chance to stay and prove yourself. Personally, I don't like yo-yoing players. But the existing message is you need to put a body of form in the VFL to get promoted, so if you do, you'll get a good chance to show it in the big boy league. I really like it, if they succeed that's awesome. If they don't, they can't blame anything or anyone else and they go about getting that form to get promoted again. For the others trying to get in, it's a good carrot about the rewards that can come through hard work and consistent excellent form. Once they get promoted they can stay there, it's up to them. I think Williams, Webb & Dale all showed a little bit more last week so I hope they see the names in the VFL trying to get their spot and they lift their game again. I really, really like it.

bornadog
18-05-2017, 08:47 PM
With Cloke coming back from cracked ribs, you wouldn't think he will be second ruck? Perhaps we go with Jong again.

1eyedog
18-05-2017, 08:49 PM
I think it sends an additional positive messages that if you get promoted you'll get a chance to stay and prove yourself. Personally, I don't like yo-yoing players. But the existing message is you need to put a body of form in the VFL to get promoted, so if you do, you'll get a good chance to show it in the big boy league. I really like it, if they succeed that's awesome. If they don't, they can't blame anything or anyone else and they go about getting that form to get promoted again. For the others trying to get in, it's a good carrot about the rewards that can come through hard work and consistent excellent form. Once they get promoted they can stay there, it's up to them. I think Williams, Webb & Dale all showed a little bit more last week so I hope they see the names in the VFL trying to get their spot and they lift their game again. I really, really like it.

I'm ok with yo-yoing players, especially young ones. Give them a taste and make them work on their continuity at VFL level to force their way back in. A quality best 22 player should play before worrying about whether yo-yoing young players is detrimental to their development.

comrade
18-05-2017, 08:54 PM
I'm ok with yo-yoing players, especially young ones. Give them a taste and make them work on their continuity at VFL level to force their way back in. A quality best 22 player should play before worrying about whether yo-yoing young players is detrimental to their development.

Libba isn't performing at best 22 levels and was our WOG last week. If we're going off current form, Webb/Williams/Dale are all ahead of him (existing credits not withstanding).

comrade
18-05-2017, 08:57 PM
Anyone else think Boyd's 'shoulder injury' is possibly an omission in disguise?

bulldogtragic
18-05-2017, 09:04 PM

Yep. Smacks of 'we don't want this becoming a bullshit media story or distraction, so let's go with an injury as the reason'.

comrade
18-05-2017, 09:07 PM
Yep. Smacks of 'we don't want this becoming a bullshit media story or distraction, so let's go with an injury as the reason'.

Also allows us to bring him back via the VFL to get match fitness and if his form isn't great, we can then use that reasoning.

ratsmac
18-05-2017, 09:12 PM

Its hard to say really. Maybe his shoulder was the reason for his form. Footy is a tough gig and if he's playing sore you would expect even the best to be a little off.

Going by all the other omissions though, why would the MC save Boyd's face?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
18-05-2017, 09:19 PM
For me, if ever Charlie Sutton's edict of 'shop early and avoid the rush' had relevance outside of a GF, its this week.
We need to do something this week which we've largely been able to do thus far this year; get the game on our terms from the outset and put the points on the board.

Geelong will be trying to use this game as a way to recapture a semblance of 'Geelong football'.
They have doubts, 3 weeks of poor performance and they want to put that behind them.

I have no doubt that they view us as their bitch. That's evidenced by previous comments from their players as well as comments from as far back as when Bomber was coach.

We need to put them on their heels early and let those recently acquired self-doubts come rushing back and then pile it on the scoreboard.

If its close in the 4th i fear they will surge. We need to remove that from being an option by getting a good lead early and having the game beyond doubt by the end of the 3rd quarter.

Nuggety Back Pocket
18-05-2017, 09:34 PM
I found some of the selections puzzling. Hard to imagine to see Libba out of the side whilst retaining Dale. Libba has the experience and class to match up with Dangerfield. Leaving out Roberts and Cordy limits the flexibility of Adams and Cordy to move forward where they are capable of playing well. Good to see both Williams and Webb retained as they are the future. Morris was a natural replacement for the injured Matthew Boyd. Tom Boyd is a better player with Roughead in the team and do not understand why you would recall Cloke and not Roughead if fit. Good to see Dickson back as his class and straight kicking has been sadly missed. Murphy's inclusion is obvious. Suckling is lucky to be retained.

Doc26
18-05-2017, 09:42 PM
Hasn't played well the whole year. Should have been dropped a few weeks ago.

Agree BD. The Mumford tackle was big but Tom's form was waning before the GWS game. Nice reasoning for those outside the Club to refer to but not accurate and probably time to send Tom back to find some form i'm afraid.

Also feel that the Toby dropping was about due. As much as I like him he just hasn't risen to the next level and seems to be coasting too often. He should be in our bests given the talent at his disposal but is just not commanding it.

1eyedog
18-05-2017, 10:18 PM

Yeah it's what I thought when I heard the teams on SEN on the way home.

jeemak
18-05-2017, 10:58 PM
I don't see the coaching staff being honest about their thoughts on Boyd's form last year, omitting players due to form and being open about it, but all of a sudden giving him an excuse this week.

McLean's not kicking the footy, Libba hasn't been either. Piling on the handballs doesn't cut it and would be a big reason why they're out of the team, it smacks of not running hard enough, getting into space and being an option.

ratsmac
18-05-2017, 11:01 PM
5 premiership players out of the team.

bornadog
18-05-2017, 11:03 PM
do not understand why you would recall Cloke and not Roughead if fit.

Roughead is not match fit at this stage, whereas Cloke is even though he missed a few weeks. Roughead will get his chance, and it is better to ease him into the team.

No doubt Roughead will be (or should be) back next week.

kruder
18-05-2017, 11:50 PM
I must say i really like the fact the match committee stuck fat with Webb and Dale for another week. We really need to see what these kids can do this year(3rd year players I doubt anyone knows if they are AFL players or not yet) and a Friday night game against good opposition is another great development opportunity. They both are pretty solid by foot something we have been seriously lacking for a while now so do provide a point of difference particularly with a leading Dickson and Redpath back in the team. Here's hoping they have a break out game.

josie
18-05-2017, 11:59 PM
Libba isn't performing at best 22 levels and was our WOG last week. If we're going off current form, Webb/Williams/Dale are all ahead of him (existing credits not withstanding). Agree, also had a chuckle at the acronym/double meaning!!

GVGjr
19-05-2017, 08:36 PM
Sorry guys, this thread was accidentally closed

All fixed now

ledge
19-05-2017, 11:31 PM
Why the *!*!*!*! do we have to play geeling after 3 losses and they are opening the new stand ??
Why wasn't Dangerfield tagged as well as Selwood .. It's proven you stop them you beat Geelong .. FFS
I'm pissed off at our coaches game plan tonight.
Don't usually comment after a loss but this one really irks me.

Remi Moses
20-05-2017, 12:18 AM
Why the *!*!*!*! do we have to play geeling after 3 losses and they are opening the new stand ??
Why wasn't Dangerfield tagged as well as Selwood .. It's proven you stop them you beat Geelong .. FFS
I'm pissed off at our coaches game plan tonight.
Don't usually comment after a loss but this one really irks me.

Until the ground can hold Etihad capacity they shouldn't be hosting vic teams .
Should just be renamed Taxpayer stadium

The bulldog tragician
20-05-2017, 12:30 AM
Until the ground can hold Etihad capacity they shouldn't be hosting vic teams .
Should just be renamed Taxpayer stadium

Or Marginal Seat Stadium

Stefcep
20-05-2017, 12:32 AM
Who would have tagged Danger or Selwood?

Picken? I'm 100% convinced he has not been right since his concussion.

Who else?

always right
20-05-2017, 12:34 AM
Who would have tagged Danger or Selwood?

Picken? I'm 100% convinced he has not been right since his concussion.

Who else?

Couldn't agree more.....must be close to being dropped, along with Hunter.

bornadog
20-05-2017, 12:47 AM
Couldn't agree more.....must be close to being dropped, along with Hunter.

Picken ended up with 20 disposals and 7 tackles. Whilst he was poor in the first half, I thought he was good in the second half.

Stefcep
20-05-2017, 12:52 AM
Picken ended up with 20 disposals and 7 tackles. Whilst he was poor in the first half, I thought he was good in the second half.

How effective were those 20 disposals and 7 tackles?

always right
20-05-2017, 12:56 AM

You're right....his second half was much better but he is really struggling to impact games. He needs to be more than just a link player.

Mantis
20-05-2017, 09:33 AM

He had 4 kicks... For a player who plays on the flanks/ wing that isn't good enough.

soupman
20-05-2017, 09:57 AM
He had 4 kicks... For a player who plays on the flanks/ wing that isn't good enough.

I'm with you. Had no influence and has been a shadow of the player he was pre concussion.

Seeing Libba's form got even worse post concussion I would be happy if we took more conservative approach with them from now on and rested a concussed player for a week.

SlimPickens
20-05-2017, 10:09 AM
Seeing Libba's form got even worse post concussion I would be happy if we took more conservative approach with them from now on and rested a concussed player for a week.

Should be a mandatory 2 week rest post concussion. The AFL have grown up a lot in regards to concussion management, still a way to go.