PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 12, 2017 vs Sydney Swans

Eastdog
27-04-2017, 11:55 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 12, 2017 match against Sydney Swans at the SCG?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
27-05-2017, 03:54 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
27-05-2017, 05:33 PM
Edit:

Outs: Bob (injured), Hunter

Ins: Libba, McLean

I'd like Cloke, but I'm not sure how to squeeze him in as I wouldn't drop English.

The Underdog
27-05-2017, 06:23 PM
Outs: Bob (injured)

Ins: Libba

I'd like Cloke, but I'm not sure how to squeeze him in as I wouldn't drop English.

I'd go Cloke for English. Not sure, depends on how Murph pulls up, Matt Boyd probably comes in for him if injured and maybe Bailey W if not

comrade
27-05-2017, 06:26 PM
If McLean plays well tonight, I'd include him for Murphy.

anfo27
27-05-2017, 07:30 PM
Edit:

He did a good job on Jack Stevens today BT

bulldogtragic
27-05-2017, 07:34 PM

Yeah, I'm struggling to squeeze 30 players into 22 spots. Good luck to the match committee, especially if Footscray players play well tonight.

I'd love McLean, Dale & Daniel with elite foot skills feeding our forward line, and guys like Cloke, Boyd & Stringer presenting for it.

chef
27-05-2017, 08:16 PM

Yep. Kept him under 20 possies and played well himself.

Bullies
27-05-2017, 08:43 PM
Edit:

Hunter destroyed Steven today. He was one of our best as Steven can cut you up.

josie
27-05-2017, 11:28 PM
Based upon VFL, Maclean in for Bob. They may put Cloke or Webb or Honey in for English, however I would like to see Tom get another go.

bornadog
27-05-2017, 11:37 PM
Hunter destroyed Steven today. He was one of our best as Steven can cut you up.

Hunter may have played well on Steven, but his ball usage let him down.

josie
27-05-2017, 11:59 PM
Hmm, thinking about Swans, maybe Roberts plays for English or (my preference) Suckling.

Hotdog60
28-05-2017, 08:00 AM
I think Suckling had very little impact on the game and must be teetering on the edge.

Go_Dogs
28-05-2017, 09:40 AM
Out:-
Bob (injured), English, Williams

In:-
McLean, Honeychurch, Cordy

McLean and HC appear to have had consistent, strong fortnights at vfl level. I like McLean for this game because where space is at a premium his tricks will come in handy. HC adds some more tenacity to our front half and with Boyd/Rough now spending more minutes forward, I'm keen to see what influence HC can have at the drop of the ball.

Cordy for some height down back and added flexibility.

Bulldog Revolution
28-05-2017, 10:38 AM
Hmm, thinking about Swans, maybe Roberts plays for English or (my preference) Suckling.

Fletcher or Cordy will have to be considered to counter Franklin et al

I'd hope McLean and Libba beat down the door also

1eyedog
28-05-2017, 10:53 AM
Out: Williams, Murph, Suckling
In: Libba, Cordy, Boyd

We have too many half backs and feel that JJ and Biggs provide enough run and Moz and Boyd can do the mopping.

Suckling's had enough chances he needs to work harder in the VFL we bat deeper now and have best 22 who aren't playing.

I agree that Cordy needs to come in to mind Franklin.

always right
28-05-2017, 11:09 AM
In
Boyd, Libba, McLean

Out
Murphy, Suckling, English

Not sure the right blokes to play on Buddy can be found at Footscray. Neither Cordy or Roberts have the strength or pace, although it is possible that Roberts might come in to play on the resting ruckman. Adams is in great form to play on Buddy with support from Wood.

English unlucky but Roughy and Boyd are sufficient in our big men department.

lemmon
28-05-2017, 11:37 AM
Will be interesting to see what's done with English. I think he genuinely helped our structure in the second half by moving into the ruck. I liked the two pronged talls playing deep and it helped us tie Carlisle to full back.

He looked a bit of a fish out water in the first half without an obvious role. Give it 3 years when he can spend half his minutes in the ruck and we've got a superstar.

Hotdog60
28-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Although he was in the ruck he was easily moved off the ball and a lot of time didn't even get near it.
But for his first hit out I think he did well and there is plenty to work with.
His after game interview gave me the impression he maybe in for just the one game as he stated that he hope to get more games in the future.
Bevo may have just rewarded some good work in the VFL and to give him a taste of the different level.

westbulldog
28-05-2017, 01:32 PM
In Cloke Cordy Libba McClean

Out English Murphy Williams Suckling

boydogs
28-05-2017, 01:50 PM
English showed his skills and agility, had a few almost moments but you can see he will be an aerial threat, he was double-teamed at one stage in his first game

Don't think he can do enough at senior level to be best 22 yet, but the experience will benefit him

Honeychurch's VFL numbers were outstanding, I'd like to see him get another go at AFL level to see if he can bring the same high production & scoreboard hitting game

Rocco Jones
28-05-2017, 02:26 PM
Out: Bob, Williams, English
In: Roberts, McLean, Cloke

bornadog
28-05-2017, 02:53 PM
Out: Bob, Williams, English

Rocco, you have nailed it for me again. Roberts to play on Tippett, Adams to Buddy (or vica versa)

Rocco Jones
28-05-2017, 03:18 PM
Rocco, you have nailed it for me again. Roberts to play on Tippett, Adams to Buddy (or vica versa)

Roberts isn't an ideal option but we need someone to support along the chain vs Buddy, Reid and Tippett (who I am not so much worried about).

On my other ins and outs- I really like Williams but struggling to consistently have an influence, which is fine as he is developing. Toby McLean is a very reliable option and deserves a game.

Cloke for English is again all about the short term aim of winning. We could also go with Honey for English and play a smaller set up but I think Cloke brings more in teams of greater needs of the team,

LostDoggy
30-05-2017, 08:16 AM
Out: Bob, Suckling, English
In: McLean, Cordy, Cloke

McLean was unlucky to be dropped and responded well. He offers a lot and his solid contested game should be suited for Swans/SCG.

Cordy was another a little stiff to be dropped. With Sydney's tall fowards, his inclusion makes sense structurally. His slightly better mobility, versatility and aggression give him the edge over Roberts for mine. Suckling is struggling to significantly impact games and is unlikely to find the time and space he craves against the Swans at the SCG.

English's huge potential is obvious but he's still in development mode. For this game and venue, we need a contested marking option to complement the fowards, Cloke looks the option.

Bullies
30-05-2017, 08:42 AM
Franklin gave Adams a hiding at the SCG last year. (He has done the same to others as well) The Swans isolated Franklin and Adams was completely lost. Adams prefers it where he can run and mark or spoil not looking to see his where his man is. May need back up in case Swans do this again.

always right
30-05-2017, 11:10 AM
Roberts isn't an ideal option but we need someone to support along the chain vs Buddy, Reid and Tippett (who I am not so much worried about).

On my other ins and outs- I really like Williams but struggling to consistently have an influence, which is fine as he is developing. Toby McLean is a very reliable option and deserves a game.

Cloke for English is again all about the short term aim of winning. We could also go with Honey for English and play a smaller set up but I think Cloke brings more in teams of greater needs of the team,
After reading your post I've changed my mind Rocco as your rationale makes sense. Knowing Bevo's penchant for playing a bit shorter in defence, the only possible alteration might be for Honeychurch to come in instead of Roberts. Bevo likes to reward continued good form in the VFL and Honeychurch is pounding the door down for a chance in the seniors.......and I think the smaller SCG suits his style where he doesn't get exposed for lack of pace. His defensive pressure could be important.

always right
30-05-2017, 11:12 AM
Franklin gave Adams a hiding at the SCG last year. (He has done the same to others as well) The Swans isolated Franklin and Adams was completely lost. Adams prefers it where he can run and mark or spoil not looking to see his where his man is. May need back up in case Swans do this again.

Few teams have a good matchup for Franklin.....Adams is our best one but will need support from Wood and defensive pressure further up the ground.

Ozza
30-05-2017, 11:25 AM
At this point I would suggest the following changes;

Out:

Murphy Injured
English - great that he got an opportunity, but 3 rucks is too many.

In:

McLean - dominating VFL, with Murph going fwd v the saints, and having plenty of half backs - McLean is a good replacement.
Cordy - can go back as extra support, or forward.

Would probably leave it at that for now.
Cloke may well have earned a spot with what looks like good output in the VFL, but I worry that the SCG might be the wrong track for him. Has only played there twice in his career - but two poor performances there. The congested nature probably doesn't suit his strengths.

BornInDroopSt'54
30-05-2017, 11:56 AM
The hard focus is coming down on Reid and Tippett. We need Roberts or Cordy as insurance against one of them clunking marks as a desperate survival response. Buddy of course isn't a great mark but is greatly mobile. Can Mozza contain him? I hope so. Sydney would love our scalp. I'd love for Honeychurch to be rewarded and to have the chance to ply his craft in the ones but no room with McLean ahead of him.
Out: Murphy, Williams, English

The Pie Man
05-06-2017, 02:01 PM
Only heard a snippet on SEN re: selection from Bevo's presser today, though I did hear that M Boyd is fit but not guaranteed inclusion as Biggs came back well and 'we like what Bailey Williams is doing'

Happy Days
05-06-2017, 02:12 PM
Only heard a snippet on SEN re: selection from Bevo's presser today, though I did hear that M Boyd is fit but not guaranteed inclusion as Biggs came back well and 'we like what Bailey Williams is doing'

The tin foil hatter in me thinks that this was the plan all along.

1eyedog
05-06-2017, 02:31 PM
Ins: Cloke and McLean
Outs: English and Murph

The Pie Man
05-06-2017, 03:13 PM
Thinking they'll struggle to fit Honeychurch in but gee he deserves another chance. Small forward is an area we're not blessed in either.

I'd select..

In: Honeychurch, Roberts
Out: Murphy, English

I suspect it might be (and would be comfortable with)

In: McLean, Roberts
Out: Murphy, English

bornadog
06-06-2017, 06:16 PM
Open Training

Captain's Run at the SCG will be open to the general public on Wednesday afternoon, commencing at approximately 3pm.

Rocco Jones
06-06-2017, 08:06 PM
My guess trying to decode Bevo's comments...

In: Libba, Cloke, M.Boyd
Out: Bob, English, Williams

I think we will go with a more senior, harden side at the SCG v Swans.

ratsmac
06-06-2017, 10:47 PM
I already know this is wrong because it always is. Bevo never seems to pick a team that anybody expects.

Franklin, Tippet and Reid are tall so I think we need to go in with an another tall defender. So Cordy or Roberts could be called upon. We need the ball to hit the ground in their forward line. We can't afford them too many f50 marks because SCG 50M line is only really about 43m if you ask me.

McLean must be s shoe in for a call up from his VFL form. Sydney have plenty of mids that can cut you up if we aren't on guard. I'd love Libba for that reason but magic has earned his spot back more than Libba from all reports.

Out
Murphy, English.

In
McLean, Roberts

If we want to stretch their defence with a bit more height I'd be inclined to bring in Cloke at the expense of probably Suckling or maybe Williams.

bulldogtragic
06-06-2017, 11:02 PM
Outs: English (unlucky), Murphy (inj)

Ins: Libba (head to head with Kennedy, Cloke (adds flexibility for Roughie to drop back or run around the place on Tippett, keeping forward structure)

McLean & Honey have claims for promotion, but competition is bloody fierce.

Dry Rot
07-06-2017, 10:42 AM
Heaviest rain here (Sydney) today since February, and will continue a bit lighter for the next few days.

Does that affect your ins and outs?

1eyedog
07-06-2017, 11:05 AM
Nup gotta pick best available to beat the Swans. Few showers forecast so it may be fine and we go in too short...

Ozza
07-06-2017, 11:10 AM
Heaviest rain here (Sydney) today since February, and will continue a bit lighter for the next few days.

Does that affect your ins and outs?

What a shock that its raining in Sydney!!!

Bulldog4life
07-06-2017, 12:35 PM
Heard from my cousin that Cloke was first player at airport

kruder
07-06-2017, 12:43 PM
Heard from my cousin that Cloke was first player at airport

Mark Stevens twitter

No sign of two Toms, Boyd and Liberatore, at Melb Airport ... Toby McLean and Matty Boyd in travelling party ...

Will be disappointed if Tom Boyd is out due to injury, we finally just got he and Roughead back together.

soupman
07-06-2017, 12:44 PM
According to Mark Stevens:
-Cloke first one at airport
-Mclean and Matt Boyd also spotted
-No sign of Libba or Tom Boyd

Rocco Jones
07-06-2017, 02:05 PM
To me, it looks like...
In: Matty Boyd, Cloke, McLean
Out: Bob, Tom Boyd, English/Williams (being travelling emergency).

merantau
07-06-2017, 02:32 PM
Why are we being cursed with injury again? Well maybe it's a good omen. Didn't hurt us last year. Makes those who get the call up hungry as.

craigsahibee
07-06-2017, 03:22 PM
Mark Stevens twitter

No sign of two Toms, Boyd and Liberatore, at Melb Airport ... Toby McLean and Matty Boyd in travelling party ...

Will be disappointed if Tom Boyd is out due to injury, we finally just got he and Roughead back together.

Tom Boyd travelling by Private Jet and Tom Libba by Party Bus. I can't claim these. Saw them on Facebook ;)

bornadog
07-06-2017, 04:51 PM
Pouring rain in Sydney

bornadog
07-06-2017, 05:05 PM
English in Sydney

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBslopGXoAIU5je.jpg

bornadog
07-06-2017, 05:06 PM
Very wet

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBslopDXUAE43Ba.jpg

Mantis
07-06-2017, 06:06 PM
Reporting that Morris & T.Boyd out injured.. Williams omitted.

bornadog
07-06-2017, 06:23 PM

Who comes in? Backline will be very small.

aker39
07-06-2017, 06:28 PM

Plus Murphy

KT31
07-06-2017, 07:06 PM
Libba was training at Whitten Oval this morning so definitely not an in.

KT31
07-06-2017, 07:17 PM
Tippet reported to be dropped.

bornadog
07-06-2017, 07:26 PM
In Roberts, MBoyd, Cloke and Mclean

Axe Man
07-06-2017, 07:30 PM
SYDNEY
In: K.Jack, S.Naismith
Out: K.Tippett, O.Florent (omitted)

WESTERN BULLDOGS
In: M.Boyd, T.Cloke, F.Roberts, T.McLean
Out:R.Murphy (hamstring), D.Morris (ankle), T.Boyd (back), B.Williams (omitted)

soupman
07-06-2017, 07:31 PM
FWIW emergencies Cordy Honeychurch and Redpath.

Go_Dogs
07-06-2017, 07:32 PM
Morris out really hurts us this week.

Hopefully the guys selected get it done, but it's going to be difficult with some key players missing.

bulldogtragic
07-06-2017, 07:35 PM
I'm really happy for English and him getting back to back games, for the big out of Tom Boyd.

Go_Dogs
07-06-2017, 07:35 PM
Conditions don't look great for Timmy English. Hope he can do more than provide shelter from the rain to our smalls.

Axe Man
07-06-2017, 07:37 PM
FWIW emergencies Cordy Honeychurch and Redpath.

Strange that Williams isn't an emergency - I thought he flew to Sydney but haven't heard that any of those guys had?

westdog54
07-06-2017, 07:39 PM
Tom Boyd travelling by Private Jet and Tom Libba by Party Bus. I can't claim these. Saw them on Facebook ;)
That would be the handiwork of our own Rocco Jones. He runs the 'Footscray Bulldogs' unofficial Facebook Page

Conditions don't look great for Timmy English. Hope he can do more than provide shelter from the rain to our smalls.

I wouldn't speak to soon. His ball handling is supposed to be quite good.

bulldogtragic
07-06-2017, 07:46 PM
That would be the handiwork of our own Rocco Jones. He runs the 'Footscray Bulldogs' unofficial Facebook Page

I wouldn't speak to soon. His ball handling is supposed to be quite good.

Yep. English isn't your one dimensional tall player where if he drops a mark, he's out of the contest or unable to get involved at ground level. It's pretty good actually and why he's so exciting... we've got a player who can contest as a 205cm player in the air (which will be limiting to all big talls/rucks), but with his abilities, we've got another midfielder on the night too. Literally the best of both worlds.

Rocket Science
07-06-2017, 08:28 PM
Spewing Tippett's been dropped.

LostDoggy
07-06-2017, 09:06 PM
I don't mind if it rains in Sydney. I don't mind that at all.

bornadog
07-06-2017, 09:40 PM

Last minute change, English out Honey in?

Rocco Jones
07-06-2017, 09:43 PM
Who is the travelling emergency?

Dry Rot
08-06-2017, 02:50 AM
FWIW Still absolutely bucketing down rain here tonight.

jeemak
08-06-2017, 03:22 AM

FWIW Still absolutely bucketing down rain here tonight.

Hopefully Honey gets a chance. He's earned it, and the conditions might suit him.

Go_Dogs
08-06-2017, 08:08 AM
Yep. English isn't your one dimensional tall player where if he drops a mark, he's out of the contest or unable to get involved at ground level. It's pretty good actually and why he's so exciting... we've got a player who can contest as a 205cm player in the air (which will be limiting to all big talls/rucks), but with his abilities, we've got another midfielder on the night too. Literally the best of both worlds.

In time I've got no doubt he will be capable of this, but I'm not confident the big man in his second game is going to mix it with the Swans midfield.

Mantis
08-06-2017, 08:52 AM

Not sure if they've taken more than one, but Cordy is up there... Unless of course he dressed up in Bulldogs attire and went out to the airport to see the boys off.

Mantis
08-06-2017, 08:53 AM
In time I've got no doubt he will be capable of this, but I'm not confident the big man in his second game is going to mix it with the Swans midfield.

He had 7 disposals last game as pretty much a midfielder (rucked for maybe 15min).. Need more output from him.

Cyberdoggie
08-06-2017, 12:11 PM
He had 7 disposals last game as pretty much a midfielder (rucked for maybe 15min).. Need more output from him.

Yeah I didn't see anything that suggested he will thrive in the physical slog of a SCG game against the swans who are on the ropes.

LostDoggy
08-06-2017, 01:13 PM
Can't help but feel that Libba would've been a very handy inclusion in what is bound to be a fierce contested game on a wet, muddy, tight SCG. I'm supportive of the MC forcing him to work hard to earn his spot back in principle, but gee he would be suited this week.

Rocket Science
08-06-2017, 02:23 PM
Supercoach Garry Lyon spouting much the same line.

'Tis an odd one - nobody disputes we're a far more formidable outfit with a fit and focused Libba in it - but this suggests if you happen to lose the coach's faith there'll be nothing token about earning it back.

I hope Libba returns pissed off and with a point to prove.