PDA

View Full Version : Three things you've learned-round 6 v the Plastics.

Twodogs
28-04-2017, 03:41 PM
The Bont came down like the wolf on the fold
And through the middle JJ streamed, his delivery was gold
And the sheen on Bont's boots sparked him into the forward 50
As the red, white and blue finally won a preliminary!

With apologies to lord Byron tell us three things you've learned tonight.

GVGjr
28-04-2017, 11:20 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
28-04-2017, 11:35 PM
1. 36 behinds in two weeks is criminal, and someone has to fix this. It's long overdue.
2. Outcry over umpiring is killing us. Some decisions tonight are staggering.
3. That's a huge result. Four points off our tally, four points on theirs. Badly, very badly result.

comrade
28-04-2017, 11:44 PM
1. Libba plays in the last and we win.
2. Kicking it to the same spot in the forward 50 every time is just stupid footy.
3. We're back.

westbulldog
28-04-2017, 11:52 PM
1. I despise the corporate plastic fakes more than ever.
2. Bailey Williams is a fine prospect.
3. I lauded Clay Smith but he was down tonight however congratulations young man on your 50th game after 3 knee reco's.

bornadog
28-04-2017, 11:53 PM
1. We need a tall in the forward line - can't just keep bombing it in to midgets. But what do we do when they are all injured.

2. Deliberate OOB is a joke

3. Bevo needs to get stuck into players giving away 50 metres.

MrMahatma
29-04-2017, 12:56 AM
1. Losing close games sucks
2. At least we're getting shots on goal this year
3. So many key players out, such horrible kicking... we're a 3-5 goal better team than them when it clicks

Sedat
29-04-2017, 01:06 AM
1. When did we draft Phil Baker?
2. Good to match it with the competition favourites all night and on their own turf. Their relief on the final siren tells me they are very, very nervous about confronting us again in September.
3. Our back 1/3rd and middle 1/3rd are working very well - once we get the front 1/3rd functioning effectively we will be hard to beat.

KT31
29-04-2017, 01:18 AM
1. I despise the #$%ing Plastic Oompa Loompa's more than any AFL team ever.
2. We aren't too far off the pace.
3.The colonoscopy I had yesterday was not as intrusive as the AFL, Umpires and GWS cohesion.

SonofScray
29-04-2017, 01:21 AM
3. Bevo needs to get stuck into players giving away 50 metres.

Wood was incredibly stiff I thought.

Remi Moses
29-04-2017, 01:56 AM
1. The last two weeks our inefficiency in front of goals has been horrific, it costs games
2. We showed tonight that you can exit out of their forward half easily . Weakness they have
3. Got our game back tonight , even though we bloody lost

LostDoggy
29-04-2017, 02:03 AM
1. They won't beat us again this year. Anywhere.
2. When the game is at it's hottest, Libba is invaluable.
3. Greens face when he looked in Clays eyes was priceless. What a little bitch.

Dancin' Douggy
29-04-2017, 09:52 AM
1. I want to hurt Toby Green.
2. Some of the umpiring was sickening. Enough to make you a conspiracy theorist.
3. We have drafted some poor kicks over the years, and while they bring grunt and heart to the team, it really does hurt us at crucial times.

comrade
29-04-2017, 09:54 AM
1. I want to hurt Toby Green.
2. Some of the umpiring was sickening. Enough to make you a conspiracy theorist.
3. We have drafted some poor kicks over the years, and while they bring grunt and heart to the team, it really does hurt us at crucial times.

You have to take the good with the bad with a lot of our players. Yes, the lack of polish hurts but would they be the same maniac Desperados at the contest if they grew up with laser kicking skills? I doubt it.

bornadog
29-04-2017, 10:44 AM

How many 50 metre penalties for the night - I think it was 5

chef
29-04-2017, 10:49 AM

The grunt and heart won us the flag.

The bulldog tragician
29-04-2017, 10:59 AM
1. Our dislike of the Acronyms is shared by our players. THey came out absolutely committed to the contest, and with pride in being the premiers.
2. WHen you lose by under a kick so many little things would have made a difference.Take your pick: the serial thug Toby Greene shouldn't have even been out there. Umpiring howlers. Libba unable to return to the field in a desperate last quarter. The absence of our most accurate forward, or the two bigger guys (Cloke and Crameri) that would have freed up Jake.And of course, our own goal kicking woes.
3. We will beat them next time.

anfo27
29-04-2017, 11:22 AM
You have to take the good with the bad with a lot of our players. Yes, the lack of polish hurts but would they be the same maniac Desperados at the contest if they grew up with laser kicking skills? I doubt it.

If Jong was a good kick he never would have been available in the rookie draft. Dunkley & Smith would have been top 10 selections if they were beautiful kicks. All great selections but like you said you have to take the good with the bad.

1. We are the team to beat! They were missing a few, we were missing a few but our game just doesn't allow them to be that team everyone fears.
2. Like everyone else I HATE THEM more than any team ever!
3. Bailey Williams is a potential gun. Did some things last night that got me excited. He made a few errors as well but once he gets comfortable at this level he will be dangerous.

comrade
29-04-2017, 11:30 AM
We just have to keep playing Williams, IMO.

comrade
29-04-2017, 11:40 AM
Just watched the highlights clip. Not that it mattered but the last 50 was garbage too. Clay Smith didn't even get to the mark, he stopped about a metre away then sort of just stumbled forward (so didn't even go over the mark) yet was pinged. I hate umpire bashing but the rules have made umpires lose all sense of control.

choconmientay
29-04-2017, 11:52 AM
- We are playing better as an underdog and need to get away from this mentality. Develop the traits of alpha male.

- Our goal kicking need a fix. Can not win close games if this continue.

- We need to get back to the discipline from last year. 50m penalties to allow them kicking easy goals and brought the ball out of our attacking zone contributed to the lost.

Flamethrower
29-04-2017, 12:39 PM
1. It seemed like there were 2 footballs out there - they had clean hands and kicked straight with their ball, whereas ours was a cake of soap - causing us to fumble continuously and kick at goal like it was a foreign concept.

2. It was a decent crowd for a backwater locale, but like Hobart last year, Canberra should not be getting Friday night football. That game deserved 80K at ANZ, or at least 25K at the Cow Paddock next door.

3. Using your fat guts to squash another player's head into the ground should be a reportable offence, especially when it forces a key player off the ground for the rest of the match.

DOG GOD
29-04-2017, 12:43 PM
1. My hate for their players is on par with the Heady era weagles
2. Our kicking is woeful..there's not one player I'm confident of kicking a goal from 35-40 out directly in front (except Dickson)
3. If I had a punching bag, GWS #4's face would be all over it

westdog54
29-04-2017, 02:00 PM
1. This is the rivalry we've been crying out for, and this thread is testament to that.
2. If there's another International Rules series, Easton Wood is a shoe in to play as Goalkeeper.
3. Toby Greene is tarnishing his legacy.

S Coast Simon
29-04-2017, 02:57 PM
Was a great game so don't won't to whinge to much but.

50 against wood was pretty rough the ump gave him way to long to kick the ball.
As was the 50 against Clay he didn't make it to the mark.
Pattons goal from the boundary was marked just outside the 50 but the mark was set at 47 m ivwonder if he would have still had the shot from 55 out.
they got away with a lot of throwing the ball. A couple of them were ridiculous to not be pulled up.
Green out of bounds was a disgrace not even close to looking like he was going for a teammate.
And finally Macrae nearly lost his head in the dying seconds 15 out directly in front.

Well ill I got that off my chest. Thanks

Scorlibo
29-04-2017, 03:04 PM
3. Using your fat guts to squash another player's head into the ground should be a reportable offence, especially when it forces a key player off the ground for the rest of the match.

The AFL needs to introduce a red card system - if a player directly causes an opposition player to leave the field with an injury then that player should sit on the bench and only come back on if/when the player they injured comes back on. It would be the best way to ensure that players are always wary of injuring other players, while maintaining fairness during the course of the game. Libba going off was a massive dagger, we were always going to be up against it to win after that.

1. We are way too reliant on the couple of goalkickers we have in the team - Bont, Jake. Desperately need Dicko, Wallis, Crameri and one of Redpath or Cloke back.
2. Easton Wood showed the kind of form that he can produce last night and needs to bring it every week from here.
3. Dogs vs Giants is the new Swans vs Eagles, and I love it!

kruder
29-04-2017, 03:21 PM
Only one for me, we are the best equipped side to beat GWS and Adelaide in a final. While not pretty at times, locking the game in the forward line along with our no frills kamikaze attack on the pill is the only way to beat both teams who will tear you apart allowing too much outside ball. Walking away last night, if you add Dickson in the forward line we win that game by 3 goals and firm for the premiership. I do think our outside game will improve significantly in the second half of the year with more continuity in the form of personnel in the forward half, but it will be our fundamentals that get us the second premiership. 7-1 is a good bet for mine...

jeemak
29-04-2017, 03:34 PM
1. This is the rivalry we've been crying out for, and this thread is testament to that.
2. If there's another International Rules series, Easton Wood is a shoe in to play as Goalkeeper.
3. Toby Greene is tarnishing his legacy.

Disagree on point three. Being a dirty little coward who can also kick goals is his legacy.

Being a shit is an inherent trait and his legacy is being fulfilled as scripted.

Twodogs
29-04-2017, 06:01 PM

We are taught to play to the umpire's whistle and the *!*!*!*!ing umpire blew his *!*!*!*!ing whistle and then didn't say anything. Wood is supposed to be physic now? He should just know why the umpire blew his whistle or does he stop concentrating on his opponent to look at the umpire and ask? Unbelievable.

If Jong was a good kick he never would have been available in the rookie draft. Dunkley & Smith would have been top 10 selections if they were beautiful kicks. All great selections but like you said you have to take the good with the bad.

1. We are the team to beat! They were missing a few, we were missing a few but our game just doesn't allow them to be that team everyone fears.
2. Like everyone else I HATE THEM more than any team ever!
3. Bailey Williams is a potential gun. Did some things last night that got me excited. He made a few errors as well but once he gets comfortable at this level he will be dangerous.

Exactly. They are our bitches.

- We are playing better as an underdog and need to get away from this mentality. Develop the traits of alpha male.

- Our goal kicking need a fix. Can not win close games if this continue.

- We need to get back to the discipline from last year. 50m penalties to allow them kicking easy goals and brought the ball out of our attacking zone contributed to the lost.

Spot on. We are taking the talk but not walking the walk.

The walk is the best bit!

jeemak
29-04-2017, 06:23 PM
TD a blown whistle has never been the signal for play on.

Wood made a mistake. Yes the umpire should have called play on, but Wood should have waited for the umpire to call play on.

It was a brain fade on his behalf pure and simple.

Scorlibo
29-04-2017, 09:39 PM

Wood made a mistake. Yes the umpire should have called play on, but Wood should have waited for the umpire to call play on.

Agree with you, but 'Move it ON!' and 'play ON!' are too similar for mine. Good opportunity for umpires assoc. to review the phrases they're teaching the umpires to use on the field.

ratsmac
29-04-2017, 11:15 PM
1. We found a way to lose that game. We dominated the 2nd and 3rd quarters and didn't score nearly enough.

2. The umpires ruined that game.

3. Once we getting our forward line working properly we are capable of some big scores.

Twodogs
30-04-2017, 10:09 AM

Fair enough. My bad.

Stefcep
30-04-2017, 11:58 AM

Technically you're right.

However, is Woods action deserving of a 50 meter penalty, and then a free shot on goal as his punishment? How did Woods actions disadvantage GWS to the point where they deserved a shot on goal? Baring in mind that kicking a goal is the objective of the entire game and should be earned rather than gifted?

I don't understand the rationale for the rule, would be happy to hear what other's think it is

always right
30-04-2017, 12:31 PM
Technically you're right.

However, is Woods action deserving of a 50 meter penalty, and then a free shot on goal as his punishment? How did Woods actions disadvantage GWS to the point where they deserved a shot on goal? Baring in mind that kicking a goal is the objective of the entire game and should be earned rather than gifted?
I don't understand the rationale for the rule, would be happy to hear what other's think it is

I'm struggling with your question. Are you saying players shouldn't be penalised for running over the mark.....in this case by a couple of metres? What do you think the umpire should do?

ratsmac
30-04-2017, 01:33 PM
The 50 was there against Wood. If a GWS player ran over the mark while Stringer was lining up I wouldn't be saying give the GWS player the benefit of the doubt. Wood had to be and must be in future sure the ump called play on. Waiting an extra second wouldn't have impacted the game but running over the mark 60 out from goal certainly does.

Stefcep
30-04-2017, 03:22 PM
I'm struggling with your question. Are you saying players shouldn't be penalised for running over the mark.....in this case by a couple of metres? What do you think the umpire should do?

A 50 metre penalty is too severe IMO. Bring back the 15 m.

Happy Days
30-04-2017, 03:31 PM
1. GWS operate in common law and not in equity. Toby Greene should have gone into his shell (rat hole?) after cheaply belting Daniel, not turned the game and win it for his "club". That's not how the story is supposed to go.

2. Intercept markers who play on no one in particular are the future of the CHB position. Geez that Nick Haynes can go; hope his groin has been stitched back into one piece.

3. Dominating play and being disgustingly inefficient in front of goal actually does cost you games sometimes. Who knew? We need Dickson back in the worst way.

I'd add in that Clay Smith is nowhere near AFL standard at the moment but I think most of us already knew that.

boydogs
30-04-2017, 03:50 PM
And finally Macrae nearly lost his head in the dying seconds 15 out directly in front

More like 45 out. Would have been an outside chance to make the distance, and probably would have gone for a pass

Happy Days
30-04-2017, 03:59 PM
More like 45 out. Would have been an outside chance to make the distance, and probably would have gone for a pass

Only 6 games after a premiership and that patented Bulldogs nihilism has already set it.

macca
30-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Just some observations from the game :
- Jong needs to demand the ball on the lead and take those marks . He dropped a few on the lead. His got all the physical attributes to be an elite player just needs to take the first option and do something with the ball. The Long bomb in he last quarter was just frustrating . His won 2 BOG in a vfl final he is more than good enough. I just want him to achieve and reach his potential
- when green was awarded the 50 m Penaly he grabbed smith face and started shaking his Chin. Why did the ump not overturn the free.? The umps are ruining the game too many 50 m frees Awarded in games now. There were a couple yesterday in hawks vs saints
- Dunkley needs to work on his kicking. Your a forward go back and have confidence in kicking the goals. The play on was terrible and his other miss in the last quarter
It was a very frustrating game to watch we did not deserve to win it, but main concern is our goal kicking 9.19 not going to win this games

SonofScray
30-04-2017, 08:17 PM
Just some observations from the game :
- Jong needs to demand the ball on the lead and take those marks . He dropped a few on the lead. His got all the physical attributes to be an elite player just needs to take the first option and do something with the ball. The Long bomb in he last quarter was just frustrating . His won 2 BOG in a vfl final he is more than good enough. I just want him to achieve and reach his potential
- when green was awarded the 50 m Penaly he grabbed smith face and started shaking his Chin. Why did the ump not overturn the free.? The umps are running the game too many 50 m frees Awarded in games now. There were a couple yesterday in hawks vs saints
- Dunkley needs to work on his kicking. Your a forward go back and have confidence in kicking the goals. The play on was terrible and his other miss in the last quarter
It was a very frustrating game to watch we did not deserve to win it, but main concern is our goal kicking 9.19 not going to win this games
Green raked his face. Should have been reported again. High, intentional, low impact = weeks. There is no reason whatsoever any player should be gripping an opponents face when the ball is not in play.

jeemak
30-04-2017, 09:00 PM
Green raked his face. Should have been reported again. High, intentional, low impact = weeks. There is no reason whatsoever any player should be gripping an opponents face when the ball is not in play.

Stupidly if the ball was in play he'd have received a free kick.

hujsh
30-04-2017, 09:24 PM

Should have been a reversal. They've warned him enough and suspensions/frees will either force him to change his game or force Cameron to force him.

always right
30-04-2017, 11:26 PM

No way was it reportable.....a free kick probably. I think some are getting carried away because of the individual involved.

I used to hate seeing umpires paying free kicks or reversing them for incidental high contact. I reckon they are pretty good at knowing when players are milking free kicks nowadays.....which is not to say that Smith was guilty of this.

Bulldog4life
01-05-2017, 09:45 AM
Any touching of the other players face is normally a free kick. It should have been reversed.

bulldogtragic
01-05-2017, 11:32 AM
Any touching of the other players face is normally a free kick. It should have been reversed.

It should at minimum be a fine by the MRP, possibly more. We saw with the punching players in the stomach last year, if you ignore it, you condone it, and players will do it. Players deserve not to aggressively have their jaws grabbed.

Ozza
01-05-2017, 12:30 PM
3 things....

1. We're back. I'm now more confident than ever, that we can win the flag again. We have several key players coming back. The Giants are gettable - we clearly should have won on Friday, and if we either kick straight, or Libba stays on the ground, we win.

2. Luke Beveridge was more filthy with our two losses this season than me. If you saw his members message after Friday night - you'll have noted he was seething and that "4-2 is not the ideal start - we should be 6-0". High expectations. And here I was thinking we are building into the season.

3. The 'no Boydy, no Bulldogs' theme continues. We haven't won without him in 2015, 2016 & 2017. Get him back in the team.

Mofra
01-05-2017, 01:03 PM
1. Our intensity has returned, it's almost like we're starting the season proper when the non-finalists did (noting we started 5-6 weeks later than those teams)

2. Our kicking for goal is horrendous, perhaps the worst I can ever remember. We may need to sacrifice ability to win the ball for guys who will get it less but finish more effectively.

3. Question marks over the head of some regulars last season should give fringe players more opportunity. Still harping on about it, but I really hope Bailey Williams gets another week in the seniors. He's gonna make it.

KT31
01-05-2017, 01:05 PM
3 things....

1. We're back. I'm now more confident than ever, that we can win the flag again. We have several key players coming back. The Giants are gettable - we clearly should have won on Friday, and if we either kick straight, or Libba stays on the ground, we win.

2. Luke Beveridge was more filthy with our two losses this season than me. If you saw his members message after Friday night - you'll have noted he was seething and that "4-2 is not the ideal start - we should be 6-0". High expectations. And here I was thinking we are building into the season.

3. The 'no Boydy, no Bulldogs' theme continues. We haven't won without him in 2015, 2016 & 2017. Get him back in the team.

Geez, its all down hill from next year then.

boydogs
01-05-2017, 10:38 PM
Only 6 games after a premiership and that patented Bulldogs nihilism has already set it.

Didn't mean to come across as negative, just that it was much further out than the poster recalled

boydogs
01-05-2017, 10:42 PM

"Below the impact level required to constitute a reportable offense" ;)

LostDoggy
02-05-2017, 01:10 PM
Agree with you, but 'Move it ON!' and 'play ON!' are too similar for mine. Good opportunity for umpires assoc. to review the phrases they're teaching the umpires to use on the field.

Nothing wrong with 'hurry up' I wouldn't think?

Twodogs
02-05-2017, 01:45 PM

Something that can't get misconstrued for 'play on' anyway.

Ozza
02-05-2017, 03:08 PM
Is there really that many cases of players misconstruing the instruction that this is really an issue that needs to be addressed? And we aren't sure that Easton misheard anyway - could have just been impatience and NOT listening which brought him undone.

Mantis
02-05-2017, 03:32 PM
Is there really that many cases of players misconstruing the instruction that this is really an issue that needs to be addressed? And we aren't sure that Easton misheard anyway - could have just been impatience and NOT listening which brought him undone.

I think it was the arm action from the ump that caught him out.. I think he thought the 'move it on' gesture was actually a 'play on' call.

SlimPickens
02-05-2017, 03:45 PM
I think it was the arm action from the ump that caught him out.. I think he thought the 'move it on' gesture was actually a 'play on' call.

Think it was bloody ordinary by Easton, i was pretty filthy on him.

LostDoggy
02-05-2017, 08:11 PM
"Get on with it!!!"

ratsmac
02-05-2017, 09:34 PM
Say nothing except play on. No warnings. The player knows he has 6 seconds or whatever the number is.

always right
02-05-2017, 10:19 PM
Think it was bloody ordinary by Easton, i was pretty filthy on him.
I can forgive him....considering he saved our arse on numerous occasions in the game.

1eyedog
02-05-2017, 10:37 PM
I can forgive him....considering he saved our arse on numerous occasions in the game.

Plus he is the first Bulldog to captain a premiership side since Charlie.

hujsh
03-05-2017, 06:45 PM

I sure as hell thought he called play on