PDA

View Full Version : Player Mateships

BulldogBelle
09-01-2008, 03:27 PM
There have been a few players at our club that have formed great mateship’s with each other that have spilled over into their life outside of football.

Here are couple that spring to mind straight off –

Brad Johnson & Rohan Smith –

Started their careers almost at the same time at the Dogs.
They both live in Williamstown right near each other.
Constant jokes about the tunnel being built under their houses because they live in each others pockets.
Their wives have their own business and are the best of friends.
Johnno and Smith started a few business ventures together, the last being the restaurant which unfortunately is no longer in existence.
Along with Scott West they take their annual trips together with the family to Qld

Dimma, Libba & Romero

Well these three were known as the Wog Squad back when they all played together.
The three went into the Restaurant field together – Dimma having an advantage as his family have many restaurants in Lygon Street.
Whilst at the club they did everything together, on the field, off the field etc.

Boyd & Cross

These two are best friends –
They both train hard together, share lockers next to each other and are always as thick as thieves.

Any others?

The Coon Dog
09-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Doug Hawkins & Stephen MacPherson

The Bulldogs Bite
09-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Although very early days, apparently Everitt & Grant are close - particularly on the field in a competitive nature. Hopefully they can be a star 'duet' of KPP's for the next decade. Certainly helps having two close friends at the same club, as they strive to push each other.

wb_age
09-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Murph and Gia, i do recall an interview where one said they were like an elderly couple (re: rooming on roadtrips)

Mofra
09-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Griff & Ray are known as the new B1 & B2 (Smith & Johnno were the original B1 & B2)

I don't think Chris Grant ever forgave Wallace for trading Wira to Freo - even Wallace said after his coaching time at the Bulldogs ended that he mis-judged what trading does to the fabric of the playing group.

Eagle & Harris are pretty tight by all acounts, two ex-SA boys starting a business together.

hujsh
09-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Griff & Ray are known as the new B1 & B2 (Smith & Johnno were the original B1 & B2)

I don't think Chris Grant ever forgave Wallace for trading Wira to Freo - even Wallace said after his coaching time at the Bulldogs ended that he mis-judged what trading does to the fabric of the playing group.

Eagle & Harris are pretty tight by all acounts, two ex-SA boys starting a business together.

Who was Wira?

bornadog
09-01-2008, 11:51 PM
Murph and Gia, i do recall an interview where one said they were like an elderly couple (re: rooming on roadtrips)

and still good mates with Brownie

Sockeye Salmon
10-01-2008, 10:19 AM

Kevin Sheedy also once made the comment that after winning the 84-85 premierships he ripped the guts out of the club by trading Stephen Carey and Peter Bradbury (even though neither was very good).

always right
10-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Simon Beasley and Lally Bamblett. Beaser used to drive him to training so he wouldn't stop at the fast food outlets on Ballarat Rd.:D

BulldogBelle
11-01-2008, 01:31 AM
even Wallace said after his coaching time at the Bulldogs ended that he mis-judged what trading does to the fabric of the playing group.

He was probably referring to the Monty and Cameron trades.

Dogs 24/7
11-01-2008, 10:13 PM
It's a bit strange that Grants name isn't mentioned with a best mate type. I got the impression that Grant split his footy and the non footy part of his life and tried to keep things separate.

BulldogBelle
11-01-2008, 10:30 PM
It's a bit strange that Grants name isn't mentioned with a best mate type. I got the impression that Grant split his footy and the non footy part of his life and tried to keep things separate.

Yes, to a degree he did try and separate things somewhat - but earlier in his career - he had great friendships with Wira, Grgic, Libba and Cameron. Cameron and Grant have always shared a close friendship - they used to have their AFL shop together at Highpoint.

LostDoggy
12-01-2008, 12:21 AM
I love hearing about the players tight friendships with one another, because it gives me a little more security in the players incentive to stay at the club, if they were around their best friends. It's just nice to hear about the blokes getting along, as opposed to the whole Carey debacle....eugh.

bornadog
12-01-2008, 12:31 AM
- they used to have their AFL shop together at Highpoint.

Yes I got a flag for my daughter there and they both signed it.

hujsh
12-01-2008, 12:32 AM
I love hearing about the players tight friendships with one another, because it gives me a little more security in the players incentive to stay at the club, if they were around their best friends. It's just nice to hear about the blokes getting along, as opposed to the whole Carey debacle....eugh.

Anthony Stevens and Carey were great mates as far as i know. The problem was that Carey liked his wife allot as well.

I was young then so my memory is very fuzzy but didn't A.Steven's and Carey's wife say they slept together too.

I fell like i saw it on the news but it sounds like a crappy soap opera.

LostDoggy
12-01-2008, 01:56 AM
Judging by the way Gilbee responded to Aker in his first game against Brisbane I think they have a strong friendship.

Who is close to Cooney?

Mofra
12-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Judging by the way Gilbee responded to Aker in his first game against Brisbane I think they have a strong friendship.

Who is close to Cooney?

Izaac Thompson was his roomate :eek:

Going back a bit, Groenewegan (forgive the spelling) had a special relationship with airline cockpits

Sockeye Salmon
12-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Anthony Stevens and Carey were great mates as far as i know. The problem was that Carey liked his wife allot as well.

I was young then so my memory is very fuzzy but didn't A.Steven's and Carey's wife say they slept together too.

Most definately not.

LostDoggy
12-01-2008, 11:51 AM

If you don't know about it, why spread BS rumours then?

hujsh
12-01-2008, 03:28 PM
If you don't know about it, why spread BS rumours then?

Just checking with the elite panel

hujsh
12-01-2008, 03:31 PM

Who is close to Cooney?

Actually i think Harbrow and Acker might be pretty good mates. They did this handshake thing after the Brisbane match

LostDoggy
12-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Just checking with the elite panel

It was a legit question. Its rubbish, you knew that but still posted it.

hujsh
12-01-2008, 06:33 PM
It was a legit question. Its rubbish, you knew that but still posted it.

Actually i wasn't sure but no, you would know ;)

LostDoggy
13-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Actually i wasn't sure but no, you would know ;)

Know as much that know more than you. Nor do I spread BS then think I didn't know.

hujsh
13-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Know as much that know more than you. Nor do I spread BS then think I didn't know.

You English are good

Was only checking not spreading rumors.

If anyone else was offended then I'm sorry. But if it was just you than i don't care

I thought i saw it on the news so it was either true or completely in my imagination. Remember i was young as, so it aint hard to get confused.

LostDoggy
13-01-2008, 11:10 PM
You English are good

Yes I know I'm good but sorry I'm not English.
If you are going to bag someones grammar then get it right yourself.

Was only checking not spreading rumors.

If anyone else was offended then I'm sorry. But if it was just you than i don't care

I thought i saw it on the news so it was either true or completely in my imagination. Remember i was young as, so it aint hard to get confused.

Checking rumours? More like making them up.
No need to worry I wasn't offended, more like it confirmed the type of stuff you post.

hujsh
14-01-2008, 01:29 AM
Yes I know I'm good but sorry I'm not English.
If you are going to bag someones grammar then get it right yourself.

Checking rumours? More like making them up.
No need to worry I wasn't offended, more like it confirmed the type of stuff you post.

The grammar was to prove a point Einstein

It wasn't a rumor, I was mearly asking. You, however, should sort out whatever issues you have with me outside the threads.

No more from me on this issue