PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs hope Ballarat clash persuades state government to boost Eureka Stadium’s capacity

bornadog
06-05-2017, 09:51 AM
link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/western-bulldogs-hope-ballarat-clash-persuades-state-government-to-boost-eureka-stadiums-capacity/news-story/e8343fded36e2696ac5ed4c2431847b6)

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Hero/2016_Hero/DefCon/HERO_EurekaDrawingsWBE.jpg

THE Western Bulldogs hope their historic Ballarat fixture this season persuades the state government to almost double Eureka Stadium’s capacity.

In Round 22 the Dogs host Port Adelaide in what looms as a September-shaping clash with both clubs targeting the top four.
But thousands of the club’s approximated 43,000 members could be locked out due to an expected capacity of 11,000 when the stadium’s $15 million upgrade is completed in June.

The renovation will shrink the playing surface to mirror Etihad Stadium and add a 5000-seat grandstand.
Bulldogs chief executive Gary Kent wants Eureka Stadium to grow to about 20,000, similar to Tasmania’s Hobart and Launceston venues.
The Dogs are exploring the possibility of hosting two Ballarat matches for premiership points next season plus an AFL Women’s fixture.

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/98ba8213ddeb31b1b99d9c27aa660907?width=650

Kent said the club made a strategic decision to “win over the town of Ballarat” given the region is home to 100,000 people and remains an untapped market.
But Kent said the extra Ballarat game in 2018 might not come at the expense of the Dogs’ annual Cairns fixture against Gold Coast.

That would drop the Dogs to only eight home matches at Etihad Stadium.
Hawthorn plays four home games in Launceston each season but struggles to fill the venue.
“We’ve got to make this a real success and convince the state government to go to the next stage, so it’s closer to the capacity at Launceston and Hobart in future years,” Kent told the Herald Sun.

“We need to make (Round 22) a great success and show what demand there is in Ballarat for a venue of that size.”
Kent said the allocation of tickets wasn’t finalised, but urged Dogs fans to secure seats quickly.

https://i1.wp.com/pixel.tcog.cp1.news.com.au/track/news/content/v2/89efe76f4c20e2083a55795d727d352a?t_product=HeraldSun&t_template=s3/chronicle-tg_tlc_promo/index&td_loadTlcCss=true&td_device=desktop&td_clientDebug=false
“It’s only 11,000 capacity and out of that we’re allocating tourism packages, because part of the whole arrangement with us, the state government and the city of Ballarat is to promote the city.

“We’ve got over 43,000 members, so they won’t all be coming.
“People are used to not buying their tickets and seats until quite close to the game. That’s one of the things we’re trying to get the message out to people to take up these offers.

“When general tickets go on sale there’s going to be a pretty big rush.”

The Dogs are selling $140 three-game Ballarat memberships and $75 add-ons to residents in the region.
Power business and marketing manager Matthew Richardson said their fans were already making inquiries.
“Our members and supporters like when we play in Victoria and we get a good number travelling to games,” Richardson said.

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/dda4e7b86a093d47bac81230eec7059e?width=650
Bob Murphy will lead the Dogs in Ballarat. Picture: AAP Images

“We also have several thousand Victorian members who have access with their memberships. The ‘away’ club always gets an allocation for their members and we are sure this game will be no different.”

AFL fixturing boss Travis Auld said it was too early to predict demand for the Round 22 clash.
“At the moment (Eureka Stadium) is considered to be a good size, certainly to launch games into Ballarat,” Auld said.
“The facility is going to be outstanding as a regional ground. It’ll have everything you need to host a home-and-away game.
“Over time we’ll have to assess whether there’s opportunity to further expand the ground.”

Remi Moses
06-05-2017, 10:01 AM
Would have thought they'd build a stadium with at least 20 thou to begin with.

comrade
06-05-2017, 10:06 AM
Would have thought they'd build a stadium with at least 20 thou to begin with.

More money required and if local/state government was to tip in, you'd expect they'd want more than 1 or 2 AFL games a year. Would you be happy with 4 games in Ballarat a year?

ledge
06-05-2017, 10:10 AM
Yes it's not like 11000 is a big crowd . Would like to know the Last time we played a game with less in Victoria.
Even if it was 20,000 it would still be full.
I don't like the way this could end up being so small, member revolt, complaints etc. we could end up losing members.

GVGjr
06-05-2017, 11:23 AM
Understandably they started off slowly but i dont think our fans will have the patience to wait another 3 years for an extension to 20k.
I know dealing with councils and governments is often a slow process but they need to attack this with some urgency now.

It always looked to be half done and before we've even played a game we want it expanded. I think many of us predicted this.

comrade
06-05-2017, 11:35 AM
Understandably they started off slowly but i dont think our fans will have the patience to wait another 3 years for an extension to 20k.
I know dealing with councils and governments is often a slow process but they need to attack this with some urgency now.

It always looked to be half done and before we've even played a game we want it expanded. I think many of us predicted this.

What does half done mean though? There was only funding for phase 1.

bulldogtragic
06-05-2017, 11:43 AM
It feels a little Edgewater to me. Another $15,000,000 or so to increase crowds for 2 games a year is irresponsible by any government. Irrespective of what we want as members of a football club. North Ballrat could fold (like Bendigo Gold) and then it's a big money pit with little return on investment for the branches of government. They'd probably need 4 games to argue the case, and mirror the Hawthorn example. That we are obviously not interested in dropping the Cairns match, has me concerned as a member. Firstly, that we've lost every week, every time after playing in Cairns which hurts us on field, but if we are flogging off 3-5 games to make more money then that also hurts us potentially by reducing our games at Etihad. Then as above, if members can't get in, then members get pissed off. There's a fair bit of risk financially, on field and impact on members - I hope the reward is worth it and eventuates.

comrade
06-05-2017, 11:55 AM
It feels a little Edgewater to me. Another $15,000,000 or so to increase crowds for 2 games a year is irresponsible by any government. Irrespective of what we want as members of a football club. North Ballrat could fold (like Bendigo Gold) and then it's a big money pit with little return on investment for the branches of government. They'd probably need 4 games to argue the case, and mirror the Hawthorn example. That we are obviously not interested in dropping the Cairns match, has me concerned as a member. Firstly, that we've lost every week, every time after playing in Cairns which hurts us on field, but if we are flogging off 3-5 games to make more money then that also hurts us potentially by reducing our games at Etihad. Then as above, if members can't get in, then members get pissed off. There's a fair bit of risk financially, on field and impact on members - I hope the reward is worth it and eventuates.

Agree that we must cut ties with Cairns if we are to proceed with Ballarat.

Disagree that this is an Edgewater type scenario. For one, the club isn't on the hook for millions, nor are they tasked with running the stadium. The Ballarat council is about to pay millions to take over the stadium from North Ballarat to ensure its long term survival, so even if the Roosters fold, the ground isn't at risk.

GVGjr
06-05-2017, 12:00 PM
What does half done mean though? There was only funding for phase 1.Read the post again and draw some obvious conclusions.

comrade
06-05-2017, 12:26 PM
Read the post again and draw some obvious conclusions.

The club wants the capacity to double, is that what you're referring to as half done? I agree that dealing with governments and councils is slow going, and by publicly stating our desire for capacity to increase, it seems like we are trying to force this through.

I doubt the club ever thought an 11,000 capacity stadium was going to be sufficient, hence the multiple phases in the initial planning brief. So no one here predicted it per se, increased capacity was always the plan.

Sedat
06-05-2017, 12:54 PM
The wheels of govt and beurocracy grind slowly. Establishing a presence in 2017 with a fully funded 11k stadium and a genuine footprint in a fast growing footy mad region of Victoria that is our region alone makes very smart business sense IMO.

It is actually risk averse for the club - we are diversifying and spreading our risk so as to not be exposed if we put all our eggs in the one basket. Do we honestly believe Etihad will survive the next 20 years? It is some of the most lucrative land value in the country and it is now owned by the AFL, who let's be honest have shown a propensity in the past to be motivated by nothing more than filthy lucre. I would be staggered if Etihad was still in operation by 2037.

comrade
06-05-2017, 12:57 PM
The wheels of govt and beurocracy grind slowly. Establishing a presence with a fully funded 11k stadium and a genuine footprint in a fast growing footy mad region of Victoria that is our region alone makes very smart business sense IMO.

It is actually risk averse for the club - we are diversifying and spreading our risk so as to not be exposed if we put all.our eggs in the one basket. Do we honestly believe Etihad will survive the next 20 years? It is some of tbe most lucrative land value in the country and it is now owned by the AFL, who have shown a propensity in the past to be motivated by filthy lucre.

Yeah, I don't see too many downsides to investing in the Ballarat region, on the proviso that we cut ties with Cairns. To me, that is the obvious move and needs to be implemented from 2018 onwards.

hujsh
06-05-2017, 12:59 PM
Please drop Cairns. Really should be replaced by Ballarat (hell even up it to three games there and invest in the area if you want)

ledge
06-05-2017, 01:03 PM
Funny isn't it . We can play at a stadium that only fits 11,000 but can't play a game at Whitten oval.

Sedat
06-05-2017, 01:17 PM
Yeah, I don't see too many downsides to investing in the Ballarat region, on the proviso that we cut ties with Cairns. To me, that is the obvious move and needs to be implemented from 2018 onwards.

I'm not quite as anti Cairns as others - happy to get rid of it once the next stage of Eureka is completed. But $500k plus for one game is still critically important for our bottom line, and this game would be a massive loss if played at Etihad in front of 17-18k.

If we play 4 games at Eureka in front of 20k (GC, GWS, Port and Freo as examples) and 7 home games at Etihad against all the higher drawing clubs that is a fantastic mix IMO.

comrade
06-05-2017, 02:06 PM
I'm not quite as anti Cairns as others - happy to get rid of it once the next stage of Eureka is completed. But $500k plus for one game is still critically important for our bottom line, and this game would be a massive loss if played at Etihad in front of 17-18k.

If we play 4 games at Eureka in front of 20k (GC, GWS, Port and Freo as examples) and 7 home games at Etihad against all the higher drawing clubs that is a fantastic mix IMO.

My anti-Cairns position stems from the fact we never win after playing there.

bulldogtragic
06-05-2017, 02:26 PM
My anti-Cairns position stems from the fact we never win after playing there.

Yep, we've signed Asics, Mercedes, PowerCor, PCCU and re-signed Mission. Coteries & Social Club sold out. The Premiership cheque. 8,000 new members up on last year. More exposure to Friday & Saturday nights. And Ballarat hopefully bringing in some cash.

Agree, I get Cairns makes good money too, but it's not helping on field performance and we've got a chance to remodel our finances to leave Cairns out among these new revenue sources (especially if we can improve WO to make more cash). If it means taking Ballarat to 3 games so be it.

But Ballarat right now seems a little shaky to me. If the club was confident in Ballrat then surely Cairns would go. The inference I draw is we are not prepared to let Cairns because we are not as confident in Ballarat.

comrade
06-05-2017, 02:37 PM
Sacrificing on field performance for a cash injection is a small club behaviour that we need to get away from. I'd hope we're very close to being in a position to forgo Cairns, given all the off field goals we've kicked in the last 6 months (as BT detailed).

GVGjr
06-05-2017, 02:53 PM
The club wants the capacity to double, is that what you're referring to as half done? I agree that dealing with governments and councils is slow going, and by publicly stating our desire for capacity to increase, it seems like we are trying to force this through.

I doubt the club ever thought an 11,000 capacity stadium was going to be sufficient, hence the multiple phases in the initial planning brief. So no one here predicted it per se, increased capacity was always the plan.

All what you've said is a given. My point is phase two can't take 3 years plus because there is a strong chance our members will just write off going there if it's too hard to get a seat and then vastly more expensive to acquire. Has Phase 2 even been funded yet?
For Gary Kent to come out before we have even played our first game and say it needs to be closer to 20K to me is a sign he's reading the play and hoping he can up the ante.

Having worked on a couple of high priced projects over the years there are always compromises that can be reached and settling for a venue that holds 11K was always far from ideal but now possibly made worse by our expanding membership base.
We have also discussed this on other threads but Phase one needed to be closer to 15K especially if we are drawing teams from SA to the venue because we are anticipating they will travel there.

We have some challenges ahead to make this work.

GVGjr
06-05-2017, 02:56 PM
Yep, we've signed Asics, Mercedes, PowerCor, PCCU and re-signed Mission. Coteries & Social Club sold out. The Premiership cheque. 8,000 new members up on last year. More exposure to Friday & Saturday nights. And Ballarat hopefully bringing in some cash.

Agree, I get Cairns makes good money too, but it's not helping on field performance and we've got a chance to remodel our finances to leave Cairns out among these new revenue sources (especially if we can improve WO to make more cash). If it means taking Ballarat to 3 games so be it.

But Ballarat right now seems a little shaky to me. If the club was confident in Ballrat then surely Cairns would go. The inference I draw is we are not prepared to let Cairns because we are not as confident in Ballarat.

Don't we also need to push for a more favorable draw when we play at Cairns? Could we play there before the bye?

I agree with your inference, we need to keep Cairns for the short term.

bornadog
06-05-2017, 02:59 PM
Yes it's not like 11000 is a big crowd . Would like to know the Last time we played a game with less in Victoria.
Even if it was 20,000 it would still be full.
I don't like the way this could end up being so small, member revolt, complaints etc. we could end up losing members.

There is no benefit in playing a game at WO. The reason for Ballarat is to increase our membership into regional areas.

bornadog
06-05-2017, 03:00 PM

I think that would be ideal.

Remi Moses
06-05-2017, 03:30 PM
More money required and if local/state government was to tip in, you'd expect they'd want more than 1 or 2 AFL games a year. Would you be happy with 4 games in Ballarat a year?

I'd imagine you're right, and more money would be tipped in if we play more games up there.
I'd say 4 would do it and Cairns getting the Tijuana

bulldogtragic
06-05-2017, 03:36 PM
Don't we also need to push for a more favorable draw when we play at Cairns? Could we play there before the bye?

I agree with your inference, we need to keep Cairns for the short term.

I think that would be ideal.

Cairns before the bye should be our first request, I wonder if our club has asked for that?

If we needed to play 3 at Ballarat, then I think we need to push for more Etihad games to be the venue for at least 3 away games. That is we will play other tenants there no matter what (home or away team), but some away teams like Geelong & Collingwood occasionally play home games there. So we should be asking for 3 replacement games for our members all at Etihad and for support for us growing into regional Victoria. With the AFEL now owning Etihad, more games at their ground suits them too.

So I'd say a mix like (dependant on ladder position, and grouping):

(Based on this year, indicative only)

3 Ballarat (Port, GWS, Brisbane)
8 Etihad - Home (North, St Kilda, WCE, Adelaide, GCS, Richmond, Melbourne, Sydney)
4 Etihad - Away/Replacememt (minimum 3) (North, Essendon, Carlton, Geelong)
5 Interstate - Away (No Cairns) (WCE, Freo, Sydney, GWS, Brisbane)
2 MCG - Away (Collingwood, Hawthorn)

Sedat
06-05-2017, 04:00 PM

My takeout from the article is that Cairns will go as soon as the next phase of construction for Eureka is confirmed, and Gary Kent is doing the right thing to keep this issue in the public domain. I'd be very happy to give Cairns the 'lemonade and sars' as soon as Eureka is at 20k capacity, but the reality is that we still need Cairns and the cash injection until such a time as an alternative arrangement presents itself - hopefully this is Ballarat. Playing GC at Etihad would be a disaster - the net loss would be closer to 750k (loss of Cairns revenue plus loss of gate receipts for hosting the match at Etihad) and we'd be scheduled an extra interstate away match in any event.

Twodogs
06-05-2017, 05:43 PM
That whole article was written to deliver one message to the new management of Etihad stadium:

That would drop the Dogs to only eight home matches at Etihad Stadium

Don't dick us around any more. We will take our club and our support elsewhere. Things have changed, get used to it.

Twodogs
06-05-2017, 05:45 PM
My takeout from the article is that Cairns will go as soon as the next phase of construction for Eureka is confirmed, and Gary Kent is doing the right thing to keep this issue in the public domain. I'd be very happy to give Cairns the 'lemonade and sars' as soon as Eureka is at 20k capacity, but the reality is that we still need Cairns and the cash injection until such a time as an alternative arrangement presents itself - hopefully this is Ballarat. Playing GC at Etihad would be a disaster - the net loss would be closer to 750k (loss of Cairns revenue plus loss of gate receipts for hosting the match at Etihad) and we'd be scheduled an extra interstate away match in any event.

And frankly who wants to see Gold Coast play footy live. At least on TV you only have to pretend to be interested.

AndrewP6
06-05-2017, 09:34 PM
I love the Cairns games. The prospect of travelling to Ballarat in the middle of winter does absolutely nothing for me. If they go there, I'll be watching from home.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-05-2017, 12:48 AM
Cairns is an aberration. No home crowd, climate, membership or home ground advantage.
Ballarat given the chance and with the right promotion, can cover all of these bases.
I live in Brisbane, love the Dogs.. and I will NEVER travel there. What's the attraction, apart from giving a potential boost to Gold Coast for a parochial, and tiny Qld audience. Yay for the 100 Bulldog supporters that ultimately choose to seek a bit of sun up north.
I'd rather the noise of 5000 parochial Dogs supporters who make the journey to Ballarat, and perhaps the 8000 locals and near locals who appreciate the Dogs for getting an AFL game to Ballarat.

Twodogs
07-05-2017, 12:54 AM
Cairns is an aberration. No home crowd, climate, membership or home ground advantage.
Ballarat given the chance and with the right promotion, can cover all of these bases.
I live in Brisbane, love the Dogs.. and I will NEVER travel there.

Cairns do you mean YHF? Cairns is lovely but footy is the last thing I associate with it. Great Barrier Reeef, the Daintree and Kuranda and the sugar train are what I remember about Cairns. And the Hard Ons happened to play two shows while we were there-they were as surprised to see us as we were to see them " I thought you guys never left St Kilda" Keish said.

Eastdog
07-05-2017, 02:13 AM
Funny isn't it . We can play at a stadium that only fits 11,000 but can't play a game at Whitten oval.

We are focused into Ballarat now but certainly wish that was a possibility still. Certainly would need a revamp from its current state although it has certainly progressed in getting a lights for night games there. I wonder why we didn't go for the WO option originally? I'd say for our country supporters are great opportunity for them to go to a game closer to home.

AndrewP6
07-05-2017, 03:08 PM
I live in Brisbane, love the Dogs.. and I will NEVER travel there. What's the attraction, apart from giving a potential boost to Gold Coast for a parochial, and tiny Qld audience. Yay for the 100 Bulldog supporters that ultimately choose to seek a bit of sun up north.
I'd rather the noise of 5000 parochial Dogs supporters who make the journey to Ballarat, and perhaps the 8000 locals and near locals who appreciate the Dogs for getting an AFL game to Ballarat.

The attraction?,How about getting out of Melbourne's oppressively cold winter and seeing the sun for few days. I went last year for the first time, left work at 4.30 and it was 10 degrees. 10 bloody degrees. Arrived up north the next day at lunch, and it was 24 (and that was unseasonally cool) . Absolutely no contest. I don't know how you reach the conclusion that the climate isn't a factor, or that Ballarat can match the climate. The ground has a great atmosphere and the locals love having us up there. I won't ever go to a game in Ballarat in winter. It'll be just another game on TV.

comrade
07-05-2017, 03:14 PM
I won't ever go to a game in Ballarat in winter. It'll be just another game on TV.

As is the Cairns game for 99% of Dogs fans.

And an even better bonus of playing in Ballarat? We may actually have a chance at winning the week after, given we don't have to slog it out in tropical conditions.

boydogs
07-05-2017, 03:48 PM

And an even better bonus of playing in Ballarat? We may actually have a chance at winning the week after, given we don't have to slog it out in tropical conditions.

The game is on July 22 at 4:30pm, the temperature will be below 25 degrees. The older blokes will probably have a better time of it than in Ballarat. We have an 8 day break afterwards against Essendon at home

I get selling home games is not great for our heartland, but Ballarat is not going to come close in terms of the money it nets the club

comrade
07-05-2017, 03:52 PM
The game is on July 22 at 4:30pm, the temperature will be below 25 degrees. The older blokes will probably have a better time of it than in Ballarat. We have an 8 day break afterwards against Essendon at home

I get selling home games is not great for our heartland, but Ballarat is not going to come close in terms of the money it nets the club

We need to move beyond chasing money over on field results. Check our record in the round following the Cairns match. It's not pleasant.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-05-2017, 03:57 PM

Ballarat represents a great opportunity to grow our membership base in a football area. Cairns offers nothing other than coin.
Any Cairns locals at the game are going to be supporting Gold Coast.
As for the climate for our players comfort, i think a cold game will be more easier in termsof post match recovery than a humid game in Cairns.

bulldogtragic
07-05-2017, 04:21 PM
Ballarat represents a great opportunity to grow our membership base in a football area. Cairns offers nothing other than coin.
As for the climate for our players comfort, i think a cold game will be more easier in termsof post match recovery than a humid game in Cairns.

Plus the players save 8 hours of flight time, and get to sleep in their own beds, maintain normal routines and I'd imagine getting able to do quicker and more thorough post game recovery. If that helps with winning the game, and a better chance of winning the next week then take the cash on offer at Ballarat and drop the Cairns game. With revenue from Ballarat memberships, Ballarat Council and you'd think a percentage from gates and food/grog sales then even if we only make $300,000 compared to $500,000 (Cairns), it's worth it from a winning perspective. Which is actually the point of a footy club that has plenty of sponsors, which we now do.

AndrewP6
07-05-2017, 05:05 PM

Not necessarily. Spoke to quite a few, and there were neutrals there happy to see us.

AndrewP6
07-05-2017, 05:09 PM

They'll find another excuse. If players who are professional athletes, highly trained with the latest and greatest support systems on offer, can't sit on a plane for 3 and a bit hours, or pay a match in weather conditions that are very mild, I give up. They don't walk to Cairns.

comrade
07-05-2017, 05:15 PM
They'll find another excuse. If players who are professional athletes, highly trained with the latest and greatest support systems on offer, can't sit on a plane for 3 and a bit hours, or pay a match in weather conditions that are very mild, I give up. They don't walk to Cairns.

How long have you been a qualified Sports Scientist?

In all seriousness, why do you think we struggle to win post-Cairns matches?

LostDoggy
07-05-2017, 05:25 PM
The Ballarat Game is scheduled for early afternoon, around 1.45 pm kick-off. That means that the game will finish around 4.15 pm meaning plenty of time to get to the train station or well on your way home while it is still light. More importantly, fans won't be subjected to the brutality of a chilly Ballarat winter evening. If the weather is grey on the day, the new lights at the oval will take the edge off the dullness on the field. They're not bright enough for AFL TV broadcasting but are still very bright for night football games in the VFL, they can add more lights onto the towers if needed, but they are also putting supplementary lights onto the grandstand to brighten the oval more without pissing the local residents off too much.

Putting the weather aside, we'll keep our fingers crossed and just hope that it doesn't rain on the day. It's Ballarat and even if the sun's out in August, it'll still be frigid and chilly. As long as you are rugged up (wear a coat, gloves and scarf) and get a couple of hot pies and a couple of beers into you, you'll be more than comfortable.

LostDoggy
07-05-2017, 05:38 PM
Some good images of Eureka Stadium have emerged on Facebook on the Ballarat Council's page. The ground's coming along nicely. I think that it's scheduled for completion late next month.

https://proxy.bigfooty.com/forum/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi1030.photobucket.com%2Falbums% 2Fy368%2Faquarianone1%2F18237858_1327951040574350_1104025668 810887471_o_zpslpftppdf.jpg&hash=c20ed48cb0621d4aaae3c9fab068c767

https://proxy.bigfooty.com/forum/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi1030.photobucket.com%2Falbums% 2Fy368%2Faquarianone1%2F18238849_1327951043907683_8757554463 856699645_o_zpsdnffy5be.jpg&hash=3c30d4a6db7f2c06c0f136c1715cad12

https://i0.wp.com/theminer.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/EUREKA-STADIUM-A-COLOSSEUM-FOR-SPORT.jpg

bornadog
07-05-2017, 05:52 PM
Some good images of Eureka Stadium have emerged on Facebook on the Ballarat Council's page.

Starting to take shape:

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/18238849_1327951043907683_8757554463856699645_o.jpg?oh=1d8d4 5acf61ff7495874d9a4dbd69628&oe=597AAD42

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/18278377_1327951037241017_6860953130782305578_o.jpg?oh=b87b0 37e59bde54c7bb654ae2c004df0&oe=59789CFA

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/18237858_1327951040574350_1104025668810887471_o.jpg?oh=895ed 4236335bcfa124e227ed5314689&oe=5978F4AC

LostDoggy
07-05-2017, 06:35 PM
Quote 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot': "Ballarat represents a great opportunity to grow our membership base in a football area. Cairns offers nothing other than coin.
As for the climate for our players comfort, i think a cold game will be more easier in termsof post match recovery than a humid game in Cairns."

That's exactly what it's all about mate, growing the footprint and reach of the 'WESTERN' Bulldogs beyond Footscray and Caroline Springs.

LostDoggy
07-05-2017, 07:02 PM
The attraction? How about getting out of Melbourne's oppressively cold winter and seeing the sun for few days.

That's fair enough for those who can afford it. I think that Cairns offers equal conditions for both teams where as Ballarat for the Dogs will become what Hobart is to North Melbourne. 'A total shock to the system for visiting teams'. Eureka Stadium plays very similarly to Hobart's Blundstone Arena. The winds can be so strong at Ballarat that 90% of the scoring will happen at one end of the ground on a really bad day. Eureka Stadium is described by locals as like playing in a cyclone. It might be a bit different once the stands are all built because the wind will be largely blocked around the goals. But later this year, it will be entertaining because the South boundary is still very much open and will only be partially blocked by the new scoreboard. But at least the goals at that end of the ground are sheltered by some trees and the old scoreboard.

Twodogs
07-05-2017, 07:11 PM
Not necessarily. Spoke to quite a few, and there were neutrals there happy to see us.

I was in Cairns 25 years ago and there seemed to be a lot of bulldog supporters.

The Ballarat Game is scheduled for early afternoon, around 1.45 pm kick-off. That means that the game will finish around 4.15 pm meaning plenty of time to get to the train station or well on your way home while it is still light. More importantly, fans won't be subjected to the brutality of a chilly Ballarat winter evening. If the weather is grey on the day, the new lights at the oval will take the edge off the dullness on the field. They're not bright enough for AFL TV broadcasting but are still very bright for night football games in the VFL, they can add more lights onto the towers if needed, but they are also putting supplementary lights onto the grandstand to brighten the oval more without pissing the local residents off too much.

Putting the weather aside, we'll keep our fingers crossed and just hope that it doesn't rain on the day. It's Ballarat and even if the sun's out in August, it'll still be frigid and chilly. As long as you are rugged up (wear a coat, gloves and scarf) and get a couple of hot pies and a couple of beers into you, you'll be more than comfortable.

Looking forward to it. I kind of wish Bendigo had got its act together.

Twodogs
07-05-2017, 07:13 PM
That's a fair bit of standing room. If that's what the green area is.

AndrewP6
07-05-2017, 08:08 PM
How long have you been a qualified Sports Scientist?

In all seriousness, why do you think we struggle to win post-Cairns matches?

That's never stopped anyone on WOOF before. Other teams travel too. It's a self fulfilling prophecy, keep believing we can't win post travel and we won't.

comrade
07-05-2017, 08:17 PM
That's never stopped anyone on WOOF before. Other teams travel too. It's a self fulfilling prophecy, keep believing we can't win post travel and we won't.

Melbourne travels to NT for their one off money games and also struggle on the return fixture. It's not a self fulfilling prophecy, it's just a fact that teams don't recover as well after playing in humid tropical conditions when they're acclimatised to winter in Melbourne. I'd rather us have the best chance of winning as many games as possible over providing a weekend away for those fans fortunate enough to attend.

LostDoggy
07-05-2017, 08:23 PM
What does half done mean though? There was only funding for phase 1.

That's it, Ballarat Council had to build the first phase on time, on budget, and of course the final test will be if they can fill it it at 11,000 capacity. If they can cross those lines and run the game without any glitches on game day, then we'd expect an announcement on ongoing development either on the day or very soon after. My tip is that we should expect an announcement perhaps on game day when all of the media will be there and Mr Andrews won't miss the political capital/opportunity to perhaps announce further development then.

LostDoggy
07-05-2017, 08:36 PM
It feels a little Edgewater to me. Another $15,000,000 or so to increase crowds for 2 games a year is irresponsible by any government. Irrespective of what we want as members of a football club. North Ballarat could fold (like Bendigo Gold) and then it's a big money pit with little return on investment for the branches of government. They'd probably need 4 games to argue the case, and mirror the Hawthorn example. That we are obviously not interested in dropping the Cairns match, has me concerned as a member. Firstly, that we've lost every week, every time after playing in Cairns which hurts us on field, but if we are flogging off 3-5 games to make more money then that also hurts us potentially by reducing our games at Etihad. Then as above, if members can't get in, then members get pissed off. There's a fair bit of risk financially, on field and impact on members - I hope the reward is worth it and eventuates.

You're right on the money there. Why build a 20,000 capacity ground for only two games a year? Current plans only call for developing the ground to 15,000 capacity in three stages. Although according to one of the promotional videos released a couple of months ago, the architects have made provision in the design of the new Eastern Stand which is presently eight rows deep, to remove the back and the roof and extend it rearward by another 16 rows to add a further 2000 seats if that is ever required. That would boost the ground to 17,000 seats. A 17,000 seater would be quite unique because Manuka Oval only seats 10,000 (the other 3,000 stand); Blundstone Arena and Aurora Stadium both hold 20,000 but each only accommodate 13,000 seated. The Western Bulldogs would have to commit to playing four games in Ballarat per-year to justify a 20,000 seat venue.

LostDoggy
07-05-2017, 09:05 PM
That's a fair bit of standing room. If that's what the green area is. There are two hills. One is at the foot of the old scoreboard (and can accommodate around 1500 people) which will eventually be cut into and removed so that the grandstand can be extended around behind the southern goal (Stage 2 (4000 seats)). The asphalt gap between the two green hills is where the new 50 sqm video scoreboard is going (sometime soon). The larger green hill was created last year from the excess soil when the oval was rebuilt in 2015/16. That mound holds around 4000 people (but is only intended to be temporary to boost the capacity of the oval) planned to eventually go and be replaced by a third stand (seating around 5000) which will extend from Stage 2 and around the ground almost joining the smaller eastern terrace.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-05-2017, 09:06 PM

I think its pretty clear that there is more upside for the club in forging a partnership in Ballarat than there is in playing a single game in Cairns.
Whilst I appreciate that the Cairns game may provide you with a nice opportunity to get some colour in your cheeks I fail to see how, other than $'s it is anything but a negative for the club.
1. Adds unnecessary travel with all of the inherent logistical and recovery issues it presents to the players.
2. No real home game advantage.
3. No meaningful benefits to membership growth
4. No growth opportunities. Its just one game, in a non football market, with little relevance to the local population.
5. The climate. Even in winter its a humid place. That takes a toll. Perhaps that and the travel goes some way to explaining why we don't back up well the following week.

Ballarat, even at its chilliest is still more like what our guys are used to playing in most weeks. Add in that the strategic benefits of pushing our brand in a local market and its just a clear winner.
Fair enough its not your cup of tea & you're not going to ever make the journey to watch a Ballarat game, but i can't see anyway you can seriously suggest a Cairns game over a Ballarat venture makes more sense.

Sedat
07-05-2017, 09:22 PM
We need to move beyond chasing money over on field results. Check our record in the round following the Cairns match. It's not pleasant.

What is our record in the actual Cairns matches? Would have to be almost 100%.

boydogs
07-05-2017, 09:37 PM
We need to move beyond chasing money over on field results

I agree, but that includes Ballarat. If we're selling games, Cairns is probably worth 4 games in Ballarat

boydogs
07-05-2017, 09:38 PM

Haven't lost. Had to kick 10 goals in the last quarter once, but we did it

comrade
07-05-2017, 09:39 PM

Don't think we've lost there & don't think we've won the week after.

bulldogtragic
07-05-2017, 09:43 PM
Don't think we've lost there & don't think we've won the week after.

And we'd be 100% against GCS at Etihad too, if we played them at our actual home.

boydogs
07-05-2017, 09:49 PM

Respectfully I think you've got this wrong. Ballarat is already an AFL town meaning most of the people there who might be interested already have a team. The growth is in other areas that aren't an hours drive from weekly games. We'll sell more memberships and merch in Cairns than in Ballarat

Why do you think North ditched Ballarat for Hobart?

comrade
07-05-2017, 09:52 PM
Respectfully I think you've got this wrong. Ballarat is already an AFL town meaning most of the people there who might be interested already have a team. The growth is in other areas that aren't an hours drive from weekly games. We'll sell more memberships and merch in Cairns than in Ballarat

You could say that Tassie is a footy region and everyone there already has a team, yet it hasn't stopped Hawthorn or even North from adding thousands of members from the area.

LostDoggy
07-05-2017, 10:29 PM

The history behind that is that North were effectively horse-traded out of Ballarat. Their separation from Ballarat definitely wasn't by their choice. They were quite happy to stay there and were offering four games per season if Eureka Stadium was redeveloped. But it was the Ballarat Council who announced in early 2015 that they would cease their $300,000 per year sponsorship of North Melbourne to maintain a VFL presence in Ballarat and instead pursued an association with the Bulldogs backed by the State Government, noting that the Bulldogs had expressed a desire to the AFL and the Ballarat Council back as far as 2012 to harbor Ballarat as a potential playing venue. As far back as 2014, the Tasmanian government and Tourism Tasmania were concerned that North Melbourne was being courted by Ballarat and may be lured away from Hobart so in 2015 they gave North an offer that they couldn't refuse. North were forced to quit Ballarat and to go where the money was being offered. The Bulldogs have definitely gotten the better end of the deal.

LostDoggy
07-05-2017, 10:40 PM
You could say that Tassie is a footy region and everyone there already has a team, yet it hasn't stopped Hawthorn or even North from adding thousands of members from the area.
In effect Tassie is an island of 520,000 which has two AFL teams vying for the affections and loyalty of 250,000 each. Ballarat is adding as many people per year as what the whole of Tasmania does combined. North Melbourne are effectively working in a region of 250,000 people in southern Tasmania and Hawthorn have effectively the top half of the island. Where as the Bulldogs are now expanding across an area that includes Melton, Bacchus Marsh, Ballarat, Warrnambool, Portland, Hamilton, and Horsham. So you can now picture that they are now dominating an area of regional Victoria with a population of half a million people with Ballarat at its heart.

bulldogtragic
07-05-2017, 10:50 PM
1,000 Victorian public sector jobs are moving into Ballarat very soon too. Counting that some will have families, that maybe 2,000-3,000 people moving up there on top of their decent growth rate too. A footy team up there will give them a little bit of Melbourne over there. If the venue can grow to 20,000 and if it's maybe 3 games a year, then I'm happy enough if the financial returns help us enough that Cairns is dropped. A lot of 'if's'. We should be passed being the poor nomads of the competition playing wherever for a buck.

A home away from home is much more palatable, especially if we get the old school WO type home good advantage where clubs Fong know how to play wet, cold & windy conditions like we do. Our link to Maryborough (60km away) through Crameri & Stringer who have significant business and community reach into Ballarat should be an advantage, and hopefully getting some pups from up that way could really grab the towns attention and affections.

But at the moment, it looks like a suburban ground with one bigger grandstand.

boydogs
08-05-2017, 12:18 AM

Hawthorn and North both play multiple games down there and offer packages designed around attending those games. The venues sell out and so the memberships become your only option as a ticket. Anyone who wants to go and see the biggest thing in town becomes a card carrying member of the Hawthorn or North Melbourne football clubs

People in Ballarat aren't as footy starved, they can and do go to games in Melbourne. We're only playing one game there. You can see we're trying to do the same thing with selling out a small venue, tourism packages, Ballarat memberships etc. but it won't be as successful purely because people in Ballarat can go to the footy every week if they are that passionate

boydogs
08-05-2017, 12:23 AM
The history behind that is that North were effectively horse-traded out of Ballarat. Their separation from Ballarat definitely wasn't by their choice. They were quite happy to stay there and were offering four games per season if Eureka Stadium was redeveloped. But it was the Ballarat Council who announced in early 2015 that they would cease their $300,000 per year sponsorship of North Melbourne to maintain a VFL presence in Ballarat and instead pursued an association with the Bulldogs backed by the State Government, noting that the Bulldogs had expressed a desire to the AFL and the Ballarat Council back as far as 2012 to harbor Ballarat as a potential playing venue. As far back as 2014, the Tasmanian government and Tourism Tasmania were concerned that North Melbourne was being courted by Ballarat and may be lured away from Hobart so in 2015 they gave North an offer that they couldn't refuse. North were forced to quit Ballarat and to go where the money was being offered. The Bulldogs have definitely gotten the better end of the deal.

Yes, North didn't want to leave Ballarat, but they were forced to choose between Ballarat and Hobart. Why didn't they do what we are doing, try and own the rural extension of their inner city homeland instead of playing interstate? Because Tassie offered more money. It's worth more to them because people fly there, stay there, eat there etc. Same as Cairns

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-05-2017, 08:05 AM

No doubt it has its challenges, and it would need to a number of things to occur to fully leverage the opportunity - not the least of which are we need to play more than once a year and the stadium needs to hold more than 11,000.
I think North's leaving isn't necessarily an indicator of our prospects, that it may seem on first glance. I think there were other issues at play than it not being profitable.
I just see there are multiple potential positives in growing the Ballarat link that don't exist in Cairns.
People may have teams already in Ballarat, however there are kids there now, and into the future who don't. And given our special zoning access out that way, the club is clearly going to be making efforts at being visible in the community.
A couple of games there a year on top of our promotional, recruiting & games played there could be used to good effect to create an emerging Bulldogs enclave.

The fact they are only an hour a way from Melbourne and thus supporters can see more games, may actually be an enticing reason for locals to sign up.

Clearly though a number of things need to be worked on if the Ballarat proposal is going to have the right conditions to be strategically successful.

LostDoggy
08-05-2017, 08:21 AM
Hawthorn and North both play multiple games down there and offer packages designed around attending those games. The venues sell out and so the memberships become your only option as a ticket. Anyone who wants to go and see the biggest thing in town becomes a card carrying member of the Hawthorn or North Melbourne football clubs

People in Ballarat aren't as footy starved, they can and do go to games in Melbourne. We're only playing one game there. You can see we're trying to do the same thing with selling out a small venue, tourism packages, Ballarat memberships etc. but it won't be as successful purely because people in Ballarat can go to the footy every week if they are that passionate

The crowds in Launceston and Hobart have been well and truly down. Aurora Stadium in 2017 has averaged 15,571 out of a capacity of 20,000 and 14,324 over four games last year. While Blundstone Arena with a capacity of 20,000 has averaged 9,411 over both of its games so far in 2017 and 15,649 over its 3 three games in 2016. (Source: http://afltables.com/afl/crowds/2017.html).

On your second point, if Eureka is built to a 15,000 capacity it is likely that the crowd will be a mix of local Bulldogs supporters, passionate Melbourne based supporters (who never miss a game regardless of where its played), and of course supporters from across the wider western Victoria (Melton - Horsham). After all for people living in the country ... "I enjoy the trek to Melbourne and negotiating city traffic" said nobody who lives in the country EVER ;)

LostDoggy
08-05-2017, 08:37 AM
No doubt it has its challenges, and it would need to a number of things to occur to fully leverage the opportunity - not the least of which are we need to play more than once a year and the stadium needs to hold more than 11,000.
I think North's leaving isn't necessarily an indicator of our prospects, that it may seem on first glance. I think there were other issues at play than it not being profitable.
I just see there are multiple potential positives in growing the Ballarat link that don't exist in Cairns.
People may have teams already in Ballarat, however there are kids there now, and into the future who don't. And given our special zoning access out that way, the club is clearly going to be making efforts at being visible in the community.
A couple of games there a year on top of our promotional, recruiting & games played there could be used to good effect to create an emerging Bulldogs enclave.

The fact they are only an hour a way from Melbourne and thus supporters can see more games, may actually be an enticing reason for locals to sign up.

Clearly though a number of things need to be worked on if the Ballarat proposal is going to have the right conditions to be strategically successful.
You're dead right! The Bulldogs are actively getting into to schools across the region to win the hearts and minds of future generations od AFL supporters.

Topdog
08-05-2017, 11:19 AM
So as a full social club member do I need to "buy" tickets for this game?

comrade
08-05-2017, 11:22 AM

Yes, I believe so.

bornadog
08-05-2017, 01:05 PM

I tried to do an ad on with a Ballarat membership giving me a reserved seat, but it was sold out.

I will have to watch on TV.

Bulldog4life
08-05-2017, 02:12 PM
That's fair enough for those who can afford it. I think that Cairns offers equal conditions for both teams where as Ballarat for the Dogs will become what Hobart is to North Melbourne. 'A total shock to the system for visiting teams'. Eureka Stadium plays very similarly to Hobart's Blundstone Arena. The winds can be so strong at Ballarat that 90% of the scoring will happen at one end of the ground on a really bad day. Eureka Stadium is described by locals as like playing in a cyclone. It might be a bit different once the stands are all built because the wind will be largely blocked around the goals. But later this year, it will be entertaining because the South boundary is still very much open and will only be partially blocked by the new scoreboard. But at least the goals at that end of the ground are sheltered by some trees and the old scoreboard.

Might suit our goalkicking:)

Happy Days
08-05-2017, 02:41 PM
The crowds in Launceston and Hobart have been well and truly down. Aurora Stadium in 2017 has averaged 15,571 out of a capacity of 20,000 and 14,324 over four games last year. While Blundstone Arena with a capacity of 20,000 has averaged 9,411 over both of its games so far in 2017 and 15,649 over its 3 three games in 2016. (Source: http://afltables.com/afl/crowds/2017.html).

Probably doesn't help that games in Hobart are the AFEL-equivalent of the BBL; ridiculous scores coupled with horrific skills at every turn. I didn't keep an "official" count but by my estimation there were approximately 350 kicks that went out of bounds on the full on the non-broadcast wing during the Crows/North game.

Sedat
08-05-2017, 03:25 PM
The western corridor of Melbourne is the fastest growing region in Australia and is a cornerstone of our own growth strategy. It won't be long before Ballarat (which itself is growing rapidly) is joined to the western corridor. This represents a fantastic opportunity to grow our supporter base incrementally and establish an exclusive 2nd home in a growing market that is already footy mad. I love it and I hope we continue to nurture this relationship and market.

Ozza
08-05-2017, 04:12 PM
Probably doesn't help that games in Hobart are the AFEL-equivalent of the BBL; ridiculous scores coupled with horrific skills at every turn. I didn't keep an "official" count but by my estimation there were approximately 350 kicks that went out of bounds on the full on the non-broadcast wing during the Crows/North game.

Looking at the Ballarat ground - with one side of the ground completely open (no Grandstand), should we expect to see the same type of game riddled with errors and out of the full kicks due to winds?

LostDoggy
08-05-2017, 06:23 PM
Yes, North didn't want to leave Ballarat, but they were forced to choose between Ballarat and Hobart. Why didn't they do what we are doing, try and own the rural extension of their inner city homeland instead of playing interstate? Because Tassie offered more money. It's worth more to them because people fly there, stay there, eat there etc. Same as Cairns
No let's not gloss it over or try to re-write any history. I live in Ballarat, make no mistake, North were shown the door and were told that they were no longer going to be sponsored by the City of Ballarat in early 2015. They didn't even get the 2015 NAB cup gig in Ballarat, that instead went to the Bullies and the Dees (that tells you something). There was a lot of back room wheeling and dealing that went on between the Ballarat Council, the AFL and State Government. At the same time, because the Andrews government were still to confirm if they were going to develop Eureka Stadium (which wasn't announced until June 2015), it was the Tasmanian government (Tourism Tasmania) who got in first having made a very lucrative offer to the Roos. They offered the Roos 1 million per year to play three games in Hobart until 2021. The Hawks get around 1.5 million for four games in Launceston.

bornadog
08-05-2017, 06:33 PM
No let's not gloss it over or try to re-write any history. I live in Ballarat, make no mistake, North were shown the door and were told that they were no longer going to be sponsored by the City of Ballarat in early 2015. They didn't even get the 2015 NAB cup gig in Ballarat, that instead went to the Bullies and the Dees (that tells you something). There was a lot of back room wheeling and dealing that went on between the Ballarat Council, the AFL and State Government. At the same time, because the Andrews government were still to confirm if they were going to develop Eureka Stadium (which wasn't announced until June 2015), it was the Tasmanian government (Tourism Tasmania) who got in first having made a very lucrative offer to the Roos. They offered the Roos 1 million per year to play three games in Hobart until 2021. The Hawks get around 1.5 million for four games in Launceston.

Thanks for all your insights Woofer, and a great welcome to the forum.

jeemak
08-05-2017, 06:49 PM
I visited Ballarat a week ago and checked out the ground.

The gap between the large stand and the hill seemed to big for my liking, but with a score board going in there that will be addressed somewhat.

The ground really needs the second phase, without it it's been over-capitalised in my view.

GVGjr
08-05-2017, 07:53 PM

On your second point, if Eureka is built to a 15,000 capacity it is likely that the crowd will be a mix of local Bulldogs supporters, passionate Melbourne based supporters (who never miss a game regardless of where its played), and of course supporters from across the wider western Victoria (Melton - Horsham). After all for people living in the country ... "I enjoy the trek to Melbourne and negotiating city traffic" said nobody who lives in the country EVER ;)

I'm not sure this logic paints a correct picture.

The joint crowds in Tasmania have been pretty strong and there and there is an element of the north south divide to consider in people being prepared to drive to both venues. I also think North have done a poor job in selling Hobart to it's existing and potential members. They are clearly taking the moment and not putting enough back into it. Crowds would also be down this year based on the performances of both clubs.

At this moment our clubs strength in performance on field means that Ballarat isn't great option for it's Melbourne based members.
11K is less than half of what we can draw against most interstate teams at Etihad. Playing a SA based side and knowing their supporters are prepared to make a weekend of it and travel is also perplexing. Given the challenges of the weather in Ballarat a stadium that isn't enclosed that also offers little coverage to a lot of members standing in the outer could lose appeal very quickly.

I get that there is a financial benefit for us and that when this was originally planned we really needed it but things have change since.
For the venue to become something more meaningful for some members we need phase two and or three to be fast tracked.
I know it's not the council, the state government or the clubs fault but I have some doubts it will stick with a lot of our supporters.

I'll be going but I can see many choosing to do what Andrew P6 suggests and just have an afternoon in front of the tele and we can't blame anyone for taking that option.

boydogs
09-05-2017, 12:37 AM
I think that Cairns offers equal conditions for both teams where as Ballarat for the Dogs will become what Hobart is to North Melbourne. 'A total shock to the system for visiting teams'. Eureka Stadium plays very similarly to Hobart's Blundstone Arena. The winds can be so strong at Ballarat that 90% of the scoring will happen at one end of the ground on a really bad day. Eureka Stadium is described by locals as like playing in a cyclone. It might be a bit different once the stands are all built because the wind will be largely blocked around the goals. But later this year, it will be entertaining because the South boundary is still very much open and will only be partially blocked by the new scoreboard. But at least the goals at that end of the ground are sheltered by some trees and the old scoreboard.

We would have to play more than one game a year there to adjust ourselves. So much of the Ballarat exercise - a second familiar home ground, membership packages, replacing Cairns revenue - relies on selling more home games than we are now. That's why I'm against it. BT & Comrade are right that we should be looking to move away from selling home games, not increase the number of games we are selling

boydogs
09-05-2017, 12:40 AM
No doubt it has its challenges, and it would need to a number of things to occur to fully leverage the opportunity - not the least of which are we need to play more than once a year

The Cairns game is what has enabled us to play 10 games at home and only sell one

boydogs
09-05-2017, 12:55 AM

On your second point, if Eureka is built to a 15,000 capacity it is likely that the crowd will be a mix of local Bulldogs supporters, passionate Melbourne based supporters (who never miss a game regardless of where its played), and of course supporters from across the wider western Victoria (Melton - Horsham).

Point taken, but we will still be a long way behind North & Hawthorn's second home membership tallies whilst we are only playing one game there. This link shows North's Tassie memberships are heavily centred on game day attendance at the multiple games they play down there

https://membership.nmfc.com.au/tasmania-memberships-1

After all for people living in the country ... "I enjoy the trek to Melbourne and negotiating city traffic" said nobody who lives in the country EVER ;)

Said nobody anywhere, ever ;)

boydogs
09-05-2017, 01:00 AM
The western corridor of Melbourne is the fastest growing region in Australia and is a cornerstone of our own growth strategy. It won't be long before Ballarat (which itself is growing rapidly) is joined to the western corridor. This represents a fantastic opportunity to grow our supporter base incrementally and establish an exclusive 2nd home in a growing market that is already footy mad. I love it and I hope we continue to nurture this relationship and market.

Are you happy driving out to Ballarat and back to go to the game, or potentially not getting a ticket at all to a ground with an 11,000 capacity? Or committing to more games away from Etihad to help build the case for the capacity to be improved?

boydogs
09-05-2017, 01:09 AM

North wanted it redeveloped to a 25,000 capacity, without that commitment they chose Tassie. They did have commitment from John Brumby in the 2010 state election, but Ted Baillieu got in

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/550187/eureka-stadium-funding-on-the-way-brumby/
http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/550672/afl-coup-for-ballarat/

We're doing all this community work with only an 11,000 capacity signed off. Melbourne-based supporters will sell that out and prevent the locals from getting a ticket

Webby
09-05-2017, 10:41 AM
For all the dollars and cents of it all, let's not forget the valuable symbolism of it. I agree that 11k is too small and I hate that I may miss out on seeing the Dogs play a Vic home game for the first time in several seasons.

However the symbolism and goodwill available, as well as the synergy of the club moving further into the Western Victorian corridor brings value. It makes sense of the name change to the Western Bulldogs, as well as stamping the territory as one that we now represent. Perhaps a few families from places like Camperdown, Colac, Stawell, Ararat, Horsham, Portland, Hamilton etc. might make the trip and appreciate the little bit of convenience-cum-accessibility.

Hopefully in future they can increase the capacity and make it a bit of a carnival type atmosphere. Terraced embankments would be enough. It should have more of a country feel. But you've gotta start somewhere!

Topdog
09-05-2017, 10:52 AM
We really do like to confuse our members.

On the members page it has a heading

"Going to Ballarat"

so clearly to me that means people from Melbourne going to Ballarat. It costs $75 which I thought was absurd.

But clicking on it we see the following note

^To be eligible for a Ballarat membership members must permanently reside in the following regions; Ballarat, Pyrenees, Ararat, Horsham, Southern Grampians, and the Northern Grampians

So really the heading should say

"From Ballarat"

Also we put out an announcement like this and tell members to buy tickets yet they still haven't announced when tickets go on sale....

LostDoggy
10-05-2017, 05:50 PM
Might suit our goalkicking:) At least we're not alone on the shit goal kicking front, I think that the standard of kicking across the AFL has gone down hill over the last five or six years. Has anybody else noticed?

LostDoggy
10-05-2017, 05:52 PM
We really do like to confuse our members.

On the members page it has a heading

"Going to Ballarat"

so clearly to me that means people from Melbourne going to Ballarat. It costs $75 which I thought was absurd.

But clicking on it we see the following note

^To be eligible for a Ballarat membership members must permanently reside in the following regions; Ballarat, Pyrenees, Ararat, Horsham, Southern Grampians, and the Northern Grampians

So really the heading should say

"From Ballarat"

Also we put out an announcement like this and tell members to buy tickets yet they still haven't announced when tickets go on sale....

I agree, it's been poorly promoted. For people from Melbourne $75 should also include free VLine travel to Ballarat Station and coach/bus transfer to Eureka Stadium.

LostDoggy
10-05-2017, 05:54 PM
For all the dollars and cents of it all, let's not forget the valuable symbolism of it. I agree that 11k is too small and I hate that I may miss out on seeing the Dogs play a Vic home game for the first time in several seasons.

However the symbolism and goodwill available, as well as the synergy of the club moving further into the Western Victorian corridor brings value. It makes sense of the name change to the Western Bulldogs, as well as stamping the territory as one that we now represent. Perhaps a few families from places like Camperdown, Colac, Stawell, Ararat, Horsham, Portland, Hamilton etc. might make the trip and appreciate the little bit of convenience-cum-accessibility.

Hopefully in future they can increase the capacity and make it a bit of a carnival type atmosphere. Terraced embankments would be enough. It should have more of a country feel. But you've gotta start somewhere!
Well it's a nice way for the Dogs to mark their territory ... :rolleyes:

bulldogtragic
10-05-2017, 05:56 PM
I agree, it's been poorly promoted. For people from Melbourne $75 should also include free VLine travel to Ballarat Station and coach/bus transfer to Eureka Stadium.

Combined with promising our Premiership team to visit Ballarat on their Mad Monday after the GF (& very obviously couldn't go), I wonder who the hell is managing our PR with Ballarat and then why they have a job still. You get once chance to make a good first impression to existing and new members. We don't seem to understand it very well.

LostDoggy
10-05-2017, 06:13 PM
North wanted it redeveloped to a 25,000 capacity, without that commitment they chose Tassie. They did have commitment from John Brumby in the 2010 state election, but Ted Baillieu got in

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/550187/eureka-stadium-funding-on-the-way-brumby/
http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/550672/afl-coup-for-ballarat/

We're doing all this community work with only an 11,000 capacity signed off. Melbourne-based supporters will sell that out and prevent the locals from getting a ticket

No you're rewriting history again :) Eureka Stadium was never going to ever be built to anything beyond 20,000. David Smorgan (when he was Bulldogs President) first touted the idea of building a 15,000 seat boutique ground in Melbourne 13 years ago and he was laughed at by the Melbourne press. But around the same time in 2005 the first rumblings emerged about developing Eureka as an alternate AFL venue. The idea gathered serious momemtum when Australia first talked about hosting the soccer World Cup and part of the conditions to win the World Cup was that the host country has to have 15 stadiums capable of seating 40,000. Victoria offered up the MCG, Etihad, Simonds Stadium and also have allowed for AMII Park to be able to be expanded in its design to hold 40,000 if needed.

All of this would of course throw the AFL competition into a dilema because every major AFL capable stadium in the country from the SCG and Olympic Park in Sydney, the Adelaide Oval, the Perth Stadium and the Gabba would be off limits for six weeks in the middle of footy season. At the time the AFL did seriously look at alternative venues if a World Cup bid did eventuate. This would have meant for six weeks games would have been played at the Gold Coast, perhaps Subiaco, Darwin, Cairns, Hobart, Launceston, Princess Park and suddenly Ballarat shot onto their radar. In 2010 the Brumby government proposed building a 15,000 seat (20,000) capacity ground in Ballarat as part of their election bid. North Melbourne and the AFL stated that they would only back it once it was built and offered no guarantees of playing in Ballarat unless a stadium was already built. However, after the 2012 NAB cup game in front of record crowd at Eureka Stadium, the Bulldogs announced their interest in AFL games in Ballarat.

North Melbourne had been associated with Ballarat through the North Ballarat Roosters VFL team between 2006 to 2015 and had built up a big support base in Ballarat. We were all surprised when the local council pulled the rug from under them. Eugene Arocca was said to be livid by the decision because both North Ballarat FC and the Roos had shared a very mutually successful association that gave the North Ballarat Roosters 3 VFL Premierships, and offered North Melbourne a strong Reserves base as well as a training facility that was light years ahead of the mess that was at Arden Street at the time.

LostDoggy
10-05-2017, 09:45 PM
WARNING: CUTENESS FACTOR THROUGH THE ROOF

Ballarat Courier Hails New Bulldogs Mascot (http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/4652892/hail-caesar-western-bulldogs-puppy-king-video/?cs=62)

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=861&stc=1

boydogs
10-05-2017, 11:58 PM
No you're rewriting history again :) Eureka Stadium was never going to ever be built to anything beyond 20,000

I didn't say it was, I said it's what North wanted. They got a 15,000 seat stand out of Brumby as you mentioned

Eugene Arocca was said to be livid by the decision because both North Ballarat FC and the Roos had shared a very mutually successful association that gave the North Ballarat Roosters 3 VFL Premierships, and offered North Melbourne a strong Reserves base as well as a training facility that was light years ahead of the mess that was at Arden Street at the time.

Arocca resigned in 2012

LostDoggy
12-05-2017, 12:35 PM
I didn't say it was, I said it's what North wanted. They got a 15,000 seat stand out of Brumby as you mentioned

Arocca resigned in 2012 Arocca was quoted in an interview in the Ballarat Courier in 2015 (while head of CAMS) and asked about his thoughts on North leaving Ballarat and he did not hold back. He was livid because he was historically instrumental in getting the Roos into Ballarat in the first instance and became the main proponent encourging local business and media to get behind the concept of a Eureka Stadium. It is funny because I always found it curious that they renamed from its former name 'AUSTAR Arena' and called it a stadium when in reality it was little more than a jumped up country footy ground with crappy vantage points and a first class social pavilion.

But obviously the renaming had an agenda attached whereby they were trying to sell the idea of the site being one day ambitiously developed into a small stadium arena.

Twodogs
12-05-2017, 01:36 PM

Haha. So true.

You're dead right! The Bulldogs are actively getting into to schools across the region to win the hearts and minds of future generations od AFL supporters.

I'm so happy that footballers are doing school clinics on a regular basis. One of the things that really tied to me to the footy club as a kid was players like Gary Dempsey, Geoff Jennings, Ted Whitten Jr and Peter Featherby coming to my school. Hopefully the same connections are being made today and tomorrow's members and fanatics are currently sitting in classrooms listening to and having a kick with bulldog premiership heroes.

Might suit our goalkicking:)

Sounds a bit like Williamstown footy ground.

LostDoggy
13-05-2017, 10:55 AM
We are focused into Ballarat now but certainly wish that was a possibility still. Certainly would need a revamp from its current state although it has certainly progressed in getting a lights for night games there. I wonder why we didn't go for the WO option originally? I'd say for our country supporters are great opportunity for them to go to a game closer to home.

Eureka Stadium's lights would need further significant upgrade to boost to AFL TV broadcast level. ATM the lights are only rated for VFL professional competition (about 300 lux). Even if they put all of the lights into the four new towers, the ground will only go up to AFL non-televised competition grade (600 lux). Probably the new lights will be used to reduce shadowing cast by the stand late in the afternoon. There are no plans to conduct night AFL games and seriously do many people want to freeze their bottoms off in Ballarat at night, even the locals don't really embrace night footy the way that other places do.

LostDoggy
13-05-2017, 11:23 AM
If they build the second stage grandstand across the southern boundary then that should block much wind. Ballarat's Southerlies can be merciless. The western stand has been strategically placed to block the strong Westerlies, and the players benches will be well sheltered. Although, I think that the way that the Council are talking, I would expect that the Stage 2 grandstand will seat 4-5000 and be built across the area currently occupied by the hill on the eastern side of the ground - backing onto Creswick Road. The third stage would see a stand built to link the two and incorporate the new scoreboard.

If they are to raise capacity beyond that then they can enlarge the new terrace on the North Eastern side of the ground and 'vola' ... a 17,000 seat ground. The lighting may be an issue if the AFL want night games. The ground can realistically be upgraded in its current configuration to 800 lux (if they add lights across the roofs of the stands). But to get to TV standard then either two new towers would need to be added or the existing four towers would have to be upgraded further or replaced.

Eastdog
15-05-2017, 10:48 PM
WARNING: CUTENESS FACTOR THROUGH THE ROOF

Ballarat Courier Hails New Bulldogs Mascot (http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/4652892/hail-caesar-western-bulldogs-puppy-king-video/?cs=62)

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=861&stc=1

Yes they announced that at our last home game.

Eastdog
15-05-2017, 10:49 PM
With the train station Woofer if we wanted to go via vline train from Southern Cross what would be the best station to stop at to get to Eureka in your opinion?

LostDoggy
18-05-2017, 09:12 AM
With the train station Woofer if we wanted to go via vline train from Southern Cross what would be the best station to stop at to get to Eureka in your opinion?
That will come down to how vLine and Council do the transport plan on the day. The Council are still to announce their transport plan, but a key part of it will include provision for ferrying up to 2000 people from and to either Ballarat or Wendouree Stations via hired local busses.

LostDoggy
25-05-2017, 10:59 PM
Seats being installed ... even starting to look like a stadium.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=864&stc=1

LostDoggy
25-05-2017, 11:01 PM
Dear site host, your deletion functions don't work.

LostDoggy
25-05-2017, 11:03 PM
Regards to the moderator

LostDoggy
25-05-2017, 11:06 PM
Quote Eastdog: Yes they announced that at our last home game.

Cheers 'East Dog' acknowledge that :)

Thanks.

bornadog
06-06-2017, 04:37 PM
New scoreboard lights up Eureka (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-06-06/new-scoreboard-lights-up-eureka)

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Files/Images/THUMB_Scoreboard.jpg

Countdown to Ballarat is officially on with the unveiling of the new scoreboard at Eureka Stadium. (Photo: Mayor of Ballarat via Twitter.)

The countdown to the first game for premiership points in Ballarat is officially on with the unveiling of the new 50-square-metre scoreboard on Monday morning at Eureka Stadium.

The Bulldogs will face Port Adelaide in just over two months’ time at the redeveloped precinct, with just the final fit-outs, including asphalting and coaches boxes, to be completed before the first bounce on August 19.
Speaking to the Ballarat Courier, Western Bulldogs CEO Gary Kent said that Ballarat experience will be great for both players and fans.
“It’ll be great for spectators. I think Ballarat Bulldogs’ fans and generally anyone who sits in that stand is going to love it,” Kent said of the 5000 new undercover seats also in place.

“…Hopefully we can build that (home ground) advantage and the boys will love player here.”
But the ground will be for than football, with the Bulldogs bringing its Sons of the West men’s health program and Youth Leadership Project to the region, while also expanding the Club’s literacy program.

Ballarat mayor Samantha McIntosh told the Courier that the community as whole would benefit from the new stadium, and not just sports fans.
“You can’t have a beautiful lush oval like this without the whole community to embrace it and the minute you see people doing that you know you’re actually delivering back,” Cr McIntosh said.

LostDoggy
18-06-2017, 06:06 PM
Images from Eureka Stadium:

A month ago:

Two weeks ago: The official switching on of the scoreboard.

Two weeks ago: Night training - North Ballarat Roosters

LostDoggy
25-06-2017, 06:49 PM
Two aerial shots from a week ago:

Eastdog
25-06-2017, 08:47 PM
Looks really good. A lot in Ballarat and surrounds must be looking forward to AFL footy coming there soon especially our supporters from there. Thanks for sharing Woofer.

LostDoggy
25-06-2017, 09:40 PM
Looks really good. A lot in Ballarat and surrounds must be looking forward to AFL footy coming there soon especially our supporters from there. Thanks for sharing Woofer.

Not everybody in Ballarat is behind it, it still has its critics, but largely those are borne from jealousies and plain ignorance. Most critics are simply ranting about costs and "My rates are paying for this". Well the rate payers haven't stumped up a cent, it has been state government funded. From my perspective ... I say ... "Nobody ever built a monument yet to a single critic anywhere in the world". So the critics can go and get stuffed. ;)

Webby
25-06-2017, 10:51 PM
Put yourself in the shoes of the locals - who largely support clubs other than North Ballarat (the most powerful, dominant & disliked club in the BFL) who are having to watch that disliked powerhouse get an enormous boost to their facilities by the state government, and I reckon some resentment is inevitable.

I don't think it's a reflection on us.

LostDoggy
26-06-2017, 05:25 AM
Indeed Webby, I do put myself in local shoes, consider:

That if it were all about gifting the North Ballarat Roosters then why did the Council take control and ownership of the ground away from them? You don't hear the residents of Ballarat bemoaning the $2.5 million spent so far to upgrade the Eastern Oval and the $750,000 that Cricket Victoria is about to upgrade the lighting at the Eastern Oval to a higher grade than Eureka Stadium, and that the Council has another $1 million of other upgrades to spectator amenities planned for that ground. Yet nobody whinges that East Point is being gifted?

Nobody moaned when $1.7 million was spent at Marty Busch Reserve upgrading Sebastopol's oval, or the $1.65 million for Alfredton home of the Ballarat FNC. They were remarkably silent when the Wendouree-Lakers had their ground rebuilt with new lighting two years ago or the $2.5 million the State Govt kicked in upgrading their pavilion earlier this year. I bet nobody will utter a word when the council start the rebuilding the City Oval later this year for the Redan FNCs benefit. As I said, it's just plain selective-ignorance and/or jealousy. People in Ballarat are fond of beating up on the local council, but they have certainly invested in sports clubs and facilities that would be the envy of many towns and cities around Australia.

Although IMO, first class facilities don't automatically translate to onfield success, otherwise Collingwood should be unassailable, and frankly they're garbage and always have been. They've won 92% of their premierships before 1958, and the bulk of those were before WW2.

Many in Ballarat cannot comprehend North Ballarat's success given that they established their current sports club in 1991 out of nothing. I am old enough to remember when North Ballarat had an old WW2 Nissen hut (relocated from the Ballarat Airport) as their club HQ, cold outdoor showers and that their oval was nothing more than a mud pit in the middle of the old Showgrounds harness racing arena prior to that, and they managed to bury the rest of the BFL even then.

The North Ballarat FNC management today are very aware that they are seen parochially as a local Ballarat suburban team in the VFL and not as a representative club of the whole of the City of Ballarat. There has been much talk recently within the NBFC of splitting the Roosters away from the club and re-branding them as "The Greater Western Roosters" to enable them to focus on being a regional feeder club into the AFL.

LostDoggy
26-06-2017, 06:07 AM
I think that in time many in Ballarat will come to embrace it for what it is. A local asset for the community and not a gift for the benefit of a local football team. It is the Ballarat Football and Netball League (and nobody else) who choose not to play any of their finals there, and instead choose to consign their supporters to older facilites with poor disabled amenities, poor parking, minimal facilities for ladies and minimal seating. I think that Eureka will win locals hearts as a concert venue, as a venue for local carols, as an AFL venue for the Bulldogs and as a BFNL venue for North City FNC. In time locals who experience the redeveloped ground will put it back onto the BFNL and ask why they choose not to use Eureka for their big ticket games? I can't imagine the local media being kind to the BFNL if they remain pig-headed.

LostDoggy
30-06-2017, 05:26 PM
Eureka Stadium now officially 'Mars Stadium':

Local Ballarat international confectionery giant 'Mars' has been announced as the new naming rights sponsor of Eureka Stadium in Ballarat. The newly-renovated venue, which will host its first AFL game in round 22, is now known as Mars Stadium.

LostDoggy
14-07-2017, 08:40 AM
Okay, for those who missed out on a ticket: the bar will serve local craft beers and wines, and the day will be hosted by Fox Footy presenters and beamed lived from the stadium which will be right next door.

http://www.ballarat.vic.gov.au/media/4329731/ballarat_live_site_poster.jpg

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/19990253_1398414440194676_3017578932640948886_n.jpg?efg=eyJp IjoibCJ9&oh=a042aa2a6ca8568474612c9c788c2ddf&oe=5A06ACB2

10am 29th July

Twodogs
16-07-2017, 09:34 AM
Okay, for those who missed out on a ticket: the bar will serve local craft beers and wines, and the day will be hosted by Fox Footy presenters and beamed lived from the stadium which will be right next door.

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/19990253_1398414440194676_3017578932640948886_n.jpg?efg=eyJp IjoibCJ9&oh=a042aa2a6ca8568474612c9c788c2ddf&oe=5A06ACB2

10am 29th July

Sounds good. I went to Adelaide happy to do the same thing. That sounds like fun.

Twodogs
16-07-2017, 09:34 AM

10am 29th July

Sounds good. I went to Adelaide happy to do the same thing. That sounds like fun.mthink I might go up and stay with my mate in Ballarat.

aker39
25-07-2017, 03:11 PM
Port Adelaide confirm Chad Wingard will miss 2-4 weeks with a high ankle sprain.

LostDoggy
29-07-2017, 06:09 PM
STAGE 1 of Mars Stadium was officially opened this morning at 11am. In a nod to Ballarat's history, the new main stand was officially named "The Eureka Stand". People were allowed to walk freely though most areas of the ground including the new Coaches and Media boxes, to test the siren, tour change rooms and so on.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFxysH7UQAAg2m4?format=jpg

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/20286780_1415041278531992_4500943664916450216_o.jpg?oh=9cea1 6f600c637606bbcffef087f6336&oe=59F887C7

Twodogs
29-07-2017, 09:06 PM
The Eureka stand... It does my rebellious heart good to see a name like that.

Eastdog
30-07-2017, 01:03 AM
Great photos Woofer.

So is the seating capacity about 11,000. I would say the grasses areas would be the standing room.

LostDoggy
30-07-2017, 08:32 AM
At this stage only Stage 1 (5000 seated). The grassed areas are spectator mounds that will eventually be removed to make way for extension of the big stand. I think that we will have to wait until next year and the next State election to get further funding and announcements for further expansion.

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20431461_1416091441760309_3681544802956464780_n.jpg?oh=047df 45274743c8caba517b1f64b3484&oe=5A3327CC

https://proxy.bigfooty.com/forum/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fnnimgt-a.akamaihd.net%2Ftransform%2Fv1%2Fcrop%2Ffrm%2FXBHRDThPr8rZ8 LC4FzPP7b%2F2bc2d033-a920-4c21-aae3-adf4ee1a46bb.JPG%2Fr0_254_4928_3026_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg&hash=fd2985980fd3111a09835164fcc79922

https://proxy.bigfooty.com/forum/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fnnimgt-a.akamaihd.net%2Ftransform%2Fv1%2Fcrop%2Ffrm%2FXBHRDThPr8rZ8 LC4FzPP7b%2F3df199af-ca3e-488d-960d-41a4b6270f48.JPG%2Fr0_254_4928_3026_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg&hash=4c8e8871e58f90d7e6c68cce32d0b4e9

https://proxy.bigfooty.com/forum/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fnnimgt-a.akamaihd.net%2Ftransform%2Fv1%2Fcrop%2Ffrm%2FXBHRDThPr8rZ8 LC4FzPP7b%2Fad9f6f85-05b7-45fa-bfb4-52a69bce9602.JPG%2Fr0_252_4928_3023_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg&hash=5a862846dc5274b7eed9d28ecb947c58

Below: Where Bevo will sit

https://proxy.bigfooty.com/forum/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fnnimgt-a.akamaihd.net%2Ftransform%2Fv1%2Fcrop%2Ffrm%2FXBHRDThPr8rZ8 LC4FzPP7b%2F3e9dd806-60c9-4694-9db8-3b5a684ed6f2.JPG%2Fr0_254_4928_3026_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg&hash=739cbef236b179f0f76a3d6affab9409

https://proxy.bigfooty.com/forum/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fnnimgt-a.akamaihd.net%2Ftransform%2Fv1%2Fcrop%2Ffrm%2FXBHRDThPr8rZ8 LC4FzPP7b%2F64d01025-7239-4775-be4a-9a346204660d.JPG%2Fr0_252_4928_3023_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg&hash=53c0195b014311e7f8a7577bd457cec7

GVGjr
30-07-2017, 11:10 AM
It's not long to go now and I'm looking forward to this game.

I wonder if there will be 2 games scheduled next year?

LostDoggy
30-07-2017, 11:45 AM
It's not long to go now and I'm looking forward to this game.

I wonder if there will be 2 games scheduled next year?
That's the plan, I'd expect one around April and the second in August.

GVGjr
30-07-2017, 12:00 PM
That's the plan, I'd expect one around April and the second in August.
And there appears to be some speculation that we might still play in Cairns next year as the away team

Twodogs
30-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Thanks Woofer. It does look good but in all seriousness I would like to see a splash of red in the seating bays to make it red, white and blue. The colour scheme is a bit too Geelongy, we have to bulldog it up a shade!

Twodogs
30-07-2017, 12:05 PM
And there appears to be some speculation that we might still play in Cairns next year as the away team

Don't have a problem playing in Cairns. The North of Australia is a fortress for us, we are almost unbeatable up there. It's the week after (today:() that we have to fix.

GVGjr
30-07-2017, 12:12 PM
Woofer, is there a corporate area or plans for one?

LostDoggy
30-07-2017, 12:20 PM
Woofer, is there a corporate area or plans for one?

Not sure, that may well come with subsequent stages. The North Ballarat Sports Club has private areas that overlook the ground, but I imagine that future developments on the Eastern Side of the oval would likely incorporate private suites.

I did note yesterday that the Council have installed the original 400 seats that were removed from the old Northern Stand and recycled them around the boundary fence in the standing areas. That at least allows for elderly perhaps to access the General Entry as long as people are reasonably fair about it.

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/20414316_1696121587065316_2606632209765817617_o.jpg?efg=eyJp IjoidCJ9&oh=13059b46b3ba5607e167e61ac49b406d&oe=59F2B91A

comrade
30-07-2017, 04:58 PM
Not sure, that may well come with subsequent stages. The North Ballarat Sports Club has private areas that overlook the ground, but I imagine that future developments on the Eastern Side of the oval would likely incorporate private suites.

I did note yesterday that the Council have installed the original 400 seats that were removed from the old Northern Stand and recycled them around the boundary fence in the standing areas. That at least allows for elderly perhaps to access the General Entry as long as people are reasonably fair about it.

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/20414316_1696121587065316_2606632209765817617_o.jpg?efg=eyJp IjoidCJ9&oh=13059b46b3ba5607e167e61ac49b406d&oe=59F2B91A

Looks in ripping nick and comes up a treat on one of those amazing sunny winter days in Ballarat. Fingers crossed the weather gods play nice in a few weeks.

LostDoggy
30-07-2017, 06:47 PM
Looks in ripping nick and comes up a treat on one of those amazing sunny winter days in Ballarat. Fingers crossed the weather gods play nice in a few weeks.
I think that we all concur with those thoughts :)

LostDoggy
30-07-2017, 06:56 PM
The Eureka stand... It does my rebellious heart good to see a name like that.
It is what it is ... the blue and white seats mixed with the triangular patterns at the back of the stands, very Eureka Flag. For my money, still one of the most beautiful flags that this country has produced.

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/20286780_1415041278531992_4500943664916450216_o.jpg?oh=9cea1 6f600c637606bbcffef087f6336&oe=59F887C7

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/5abf432ec233de1976bbfd65b67a5619?width=650

http://nnimgt-a.akamaihd.net/transform/v1/crop/frm/matthew.crossman/2176ca2b-4866-423c-92b0-2a860b6933e5.jpg/r0_87_1696_1044_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Bulldog4life
30-07-2017, 07:11 PM
It is what it is ... the blue and white seats mixed with the triangular patterns at the back of the stands, very Eureka Flag. For my money, still one of the most beautiful flags that this country has produced.

http://nnimgt-a.akamaihd.net/transform/v1/crop/frm/matthew.crossman/2176ca2b-4866-423c-92b0-2a860b6933e5.jpg/r0_87_1696_1044_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Agree Woofer

Twodogs
31-07-2017, 01:02 AM

Fair point about the Eureka flag. I didn't see that first.

aker39
09-08-2017, 11:17 AM
More tickets have gone on sale this morning, both reserved seats and GA

bornadog
09-08-2017, 11:19 AM
More tickets have gone on sale this morning, both reserved seats and GA

I managed to get a reserved seat in new stand.

Topdog
09-08-2017, 11:55 AM
Do you need a ticket for a 2 year old.

aker39
09-08-2017, 12:06 PM
Do you need a ticket for a 2 year old.

No. If you get a reserved seat, they sit on your lap.
If you stand, good luck with a 2 year old.

bornadog
09-08-2017, 12:22 PM
No. If you get a reserved seat, they sit on your lap.
If you stand, good luck with a 2 year old.

My earliest memory of going to the footy in the early sixties, was sitting on my Dad's shoulders at Western Oval. Must have pissed off a few people, but then again, those days it was a done thing.

Bulldog4life
09-08-2017, 12:51 PM
I managed to get a reserved seat in new stand.

Good on you BAD. I am watching this one on tele.

bornadog
09-08-2017, 12:52 PM

I was going to do that, but couldn't resist being there.

Topdog
09-08-2017, 01:58 PM
I'm in the standing area. At worst we sit on the grass at the back

Bulldog4life
09-08-2017, 03:49 PM
I'm in the standing area. At worst we sit on the grass at the back

As long as it is not wet grass:)

Topdog
09-08-2017, 09:21 PM
As long as it is not wet grass:)

Well I'll be annoyed but at least the kids will be happy ��

Eastdog
14-08-2017, 12:36 AM

Yeah will be watching it on the TV as well but a mate will be going to the game so I'll see what he makes of the game day experience in Ballarat. Let's hope we get a first win in Ballarat.

Mantis
14-08-2017, 09:30 AM
Early forecast is for a maximum of 9 degrees, with 30km/hr winds and showers.. The couch is looking a good option.

bornadog
14-08-2017, 10:08 AM
Early forecast is for a maximum of 9 degrees, with 30km/hr winds and showers.. The couch is looking a good option.

A normal day in Ballarat. :D

Bulldog4life
14-08-2017, 01:15 PM

According to the weather bureau the 9 degrees will feel like 6 degrees. Rug up all those woofers who are going.

Eastdog
14-08-2017, 03:02 PM

Yeah that's what I'll be doing :)

Eastdog
14-08-2017, 03:02 PM
According to the weather bureau the 9 degrees will feel like 6 degrees. Rug up all those woofers who are going.

Much colder in Ballarat higher elevation and all.

KT31
14-08-2017, 03:07 PM
A must win game, I would have felt a whole lot better if it was at Etihad.
Predicted conditions are great for hammies and make it anyones game.

Murphy'sLore
14-08-2017, 03:24 PM

Oh glory. Better dig out the snow gear.

bornadog
14-08-2017, 03:32 PM

3 degrees over night

Eastdog
14-08-2017, 03:53 PM
It might snow :) the first ever VFL/AFL match for snow if that happens.

Ozza
14-08-2017, 03:57 PM
I guess if its going to be cold, wet and windy - then it is pretty handy if Wines gets suspended - as probably their no.1 'contested bull' in the midfield.

KT31
14-08-2017, 04:04 PM
It might snow :) the first ever VFL/AFL match for snow if that happens.

Not sure about the AFL, plenty of games at the Western Oval felt like it was close and I remember one game in the late 70's early 80's where it hailed so much it looked like snow.
The NRL on the other hand see below -

http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2016/07/13/remembering_the_snow.html

Bulldog4life
15-08-2017, 01:54 AM

Long Johns, gloves and even hand warmers the order of the day for both sexes.

comrade
15-08-2017, 06:33 PM
We had a glorious day in Ballarat yesterday. Sunshine all day, about 14 degrees, barely any wind.

Today, it's been miserable, rain all day and unlikely to improve all week. It was always going to happen.

Happy Days
15-08-2017, 07:29 PM
I've long considered that games played in Hobart, due to the freezing conditions and windswept nature of the ground, are not part of AFL canon, and therefore anything is likely to happen. I fear the same is true of Ballarat.

bornadog
17-08-2017, 04:25 PM
We need to win and get this bloke to pump in more dollars

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHZjrKHUAAAiw0u.jpg

Twodogs
18-08-2017, 05:36 PM
It's going to be cooold.

Sort of hope it does snow. It'd be fun to tell people that you were at the only match it ever snowed at. Not so much fun to be at though.

Maybe I should buy a bunch of hand warmers for 1.69 and flog them at 5 bucks apiece at the ground?:)

Eastdog
18-08-2017, 05:39 PM
For all woofers going to Ballarat rug up. At the Whitten Oval a few weeks back watching the VFL it was very cold, Ballarat more colder the windchill factor.

Twodogs
18-08-2017, 09:39 PM
I think it's more the elevation that makes Ballarat really cold Easty. Its 450 metres they said on C7 tonight.

Just been over to mum's place to raid it for all the thermals and big, big coats we could carry out of the place. Old person clothes.:D

bornadog
18-08-2017, 10:31 PM
Arrived tonight to motel and who should be standing in reception, Roughy. Players may be staying at same place. The receptionist had a bulldogs/Mars scarf on.

Twodogs
18-08-2017, 10:34 PM
Arrived tonight to motel and who should be standing in reception, Roughy. Players may be staying at same place. The receptionist had a bulldogs/Mars scarf on.

How's the weather? It is pouring in west Footscray ATM. Twopups and I are driving up tomorrow morning.

bornadog
18-08-2017, 10:36 PM
How's the weather? It is pouring in west Footscray ATM. Twopups and I are driving up tomorrow morning.

Rained the whole way to here, when we arrived no rain. Temperature about 4

Twodogs
19-08-2017, 12:03 AM
4? Far out. That 20 dollar multi pack of foot and hand warmers at the chemist is looking like better value all the time.

Webby
19-08-2017, 09:01 PM
Gotta say, really disappointed by today..

11k is just not enough. The capacity meant that our crowd were too heavily corporate. Just too many golf clappers. Simply not enough die hards to really make the place a cauldron in the Subiaco mould.

Huge opportunity lost. Every time I screamed at Razor Ray today,I had people giving me confused looks. Even had one Dogs fan (who was entertaining a number of Port fans) tell me "it was there, mate!" When I protested a free kick against Bont (who was poor, btw. However he was played out of position..)

Can't help but be disappointed that the crowd were far less help than a typical Etihad ensemble.. Couldn't help but notice that, of the 11k, there were a LOT of Ballarat councillors, corporates, hangers on etc. certainly not enough to make the required racket to return serve on a trip to Subiaco or Adelaide Oval...

Really, really disappointed...

comrade
19-08-2017, 09:09 PM
Gotta say, really disappointed by today..

11k is just not enough. The capacity meant that our crowd were too heavily corporate. Just too many golf clappers. Simply not enough die hards to really make the place a cauldron in the Subiaco mould.

Huge opportunity lost. Every time I screamed at Razor Ray today,I had people giving me confused looks. Even had one Dogs fan (who was entertaining a number of Port fans) tell me "it was there, mate!" When I protested a free kick against Bont (who was poor, btw. However he was played out of position..)

Can't help but be disappointed that the crowd were far less help than a typical Etihad ensemble.. Couldn't help but notice that, of the 11k, there were a LOT of Ballarat councillors, corporates, hangers on etc. certainly not enough to make the required racket to return serve on a trip to Subiaco or Adelaide Oval...

Really, really disappointed...

It's the first time factor. The corporate mix will change as the novelty wears off, allowing for more die hard fans to attend.

The ground was in superb nick, the weather held up, the crowd was chock full (yeah, there were plenty there just for the experience but cest le vie) and the Western Bulldogs brand was plastered all over town, including red, white and blue currently being projected on the Town Hall facade tonight.

Webby
19-08-2017, 09:15 PM
It's the first time factor. The corporate mix will change as the novelty wears off, allowing for more die hard fans to attend.

The ground was in superb nick, the weather held up, the crowd was chock full (yeah, there were plenty there just for the experience but cest le vie) and the Western Bulldogs brand was plastered all over town, including red, white and blue currently being projected on the Town Hall facade tonight.

Mitch Wallis's image was plastered all over town..

.. You'd trade it all for four points... Season over. Debacle..

We'd have pulled 35k and won it at Etihad... I've been very bullish about Ballarat, however feeling very, very poorly on this train home...

bulldogtragic
19-08-2017, 09:18 PM

We'd have pulled 35k and won it at Etihad... I've been very bullish about Ballarat, however feeling very, very poorly on this train home...

Interesting point. I guess sometimes money is more important than winning.

comrade
19-08-2017, 09:20 PM

We'd have won at Etihad? Please.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2017, 09:26 PM

Certainly a better chance. The whole 'understand how to play in windy conditions' seemed to confuse them way too much. For blokes who train at the WO it was staggering to watch.

Webby
19-08-2017, 09:30 PM

Well, Razor was at his belligerent best and the crowd simply didn't rise to it. Far too many corporates and fence sitters. Home ground advantage not completely neutralised, but significantly diminished.

Q'n) How often to WCE lose the free kick count at Subiaco??!! Or Adelaide at Ao?!

bornadog
19-08-2017, 10:53 PM

Other than the result, I thought Ballarat did a great job today and to see a sea of RWB all over the ground, with their free flags waving was great.

Well done to all that organised the game.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2017, 10:56 PM
Other than the result, I thought Ballarat did a great job today and to see a sea of RWB all over the ground, with their free flags waving was great.

Well done to all that organised the game.

I just wish someone would tell the club to give a free flag with every junior membership. It looked great.

bornadog
19-08-2017, 11:03 PM
I just wish someone would tell the club to give a free flag with every junior membership. It looked great.

You may recall I have said that plenty of times on this forum :)

bulldogtragic
19-08-2017, 11:33 PM
You may recall I have said that plenty of times on this forum :)

Really? I thought you were the 'awesome' guy and EasternWest was the kids flag guy. :D

Twodogs
20-08-2017, 12:01 AM
There were a lot of Port supporters there today. A lot more opposition supporters than you'd find at Subi. Where I was there was heaps of spite for Razor Ray and all the flags looked great. But you're right there were plenty of corporates and hangers on but like Comrade said they will move onto the next shiny thing and before long the ground will be full of feral fans. Rome wasn't built in a day.

The town looked great with the tricolours everywhere. It's only day one. And don't forget that rich breeding ground now becomes part of our zone. Hopefully like Bogey said to Claude Raines Louis I think this is going to be the start of a beautiful friendship

And I talked to Billy Picken outside at qurter time having a ciggy.

Sedat
20-08-2017, 12:36 AM
We've been shithouse at Etihad most games this season - even West Coke beat us there. Conversely we're unbeaten at the MCG for the last 2 years, so playing in the elements really seems to suit us.

Imagine how damaging Dixon and Ryder would have been in pristine conditions under the roof today.

I love our push into Ballarat. The ground surface is in magnificent nick, the city itself is a great place to visit with a thriving arts scene, and it is the end point of the western region of suburban Melbourne making it a fantastic breeding ground for new supporters in the fastest growing corridor in Australia. We are working the relationship very strongly, and the local community has gotten behind us. If Geelong can weasel $90m of marginal seat Govt funding for their pissant toy ground, I look forward to further funding and investment in Ballarat and Mars Stadium. This will be a game changer for the club for generations to come.

Twodogs
20-08-2017, 01:00 AM
We've been shithouse at Etihad most games this season - even West Coke beat us there. Conversely we're unbeaten at the MCG for the last 2 years, so playing in the elements really seems to suit us.

Imagine how damaging Dixon and Ryder would have been in pristine conditions under the roof today.

I love our push into Ballarat. The ground surface is in magnificent nick, the city itself is a great place to visit with a thriving arts scene, and it is the end point of the western region of suburban Melbourne making it a fantastic breeding ground for new supporters in the fastest growing corridor in Australia. We are working the relationship very strongly, and the local community has gotten behind us. If Geelong can weasel $90m of marginal seat Govt funding for their pissant toy ground, I look forward to further funding and investment in Ballarat and Mars Stadium. This will be a game changer for the club for generations to come.

Good point. Ballarat will effectively be the the outer western region of Melbourne eventually with the fast rail and the improvements to the highway. That gives us a huge catchment area for support if we play our cards right.

comrade
20-08-2017, 09:11 AM
Good point. Ballarat will effectively be the the outer western region of Melbourne eventually with the fast rail and the improvements to the highway. That gives us a huge catchment area for support if we play our cards right.

Fingers crossed (for my sake) house prices sky rocket in Ballarat during this time ;)

comrade
20-08-2017, 09:14 AM

Good point. We would have been torched on a faster track, and their talls would have had an even bigger field day under the roof (if that's even possible).

Playing the game at Ballarat didn't cost us 4 points, the crowd didn't cost us 4 points. Playing crap cost us 4 points.

GVGjr
20-08-2017, 11:15 AM
Back to the venue I have to say I was a bit disappointed. The seating is small and cramped compared to other grounds with little leg room. It certainly doesn't help when so many fans want to take their seat 2 or 3 minutes into the quarter and then get a jump on the queues 2 or 3 minutes before the quarter ends. The section I was in was constantly performing a lame Mexican wave type effort letting people through.

Parking wasn't adequate and I'm told the shuttle buses weren't that quick. People coming off the train waited a while for the buses to move

The positives were the view is great you feel right up close, the surface looked perfect however, many of our players were falling over particularly in the first quarter so it must have been dewy or we had the wrong boots on.

The city seems to have embraced it which is a massive positive and I can't fault the staff and effort that went into organising the day.

comrade
20-08-2017, 11:37 AM
Parking wasn't adequate and I'm told the shuttle buses weren't that quick. People coming off the train waited a while for the buses to move

The positives were the view is great you feel right up close, the surface looked perfect however, many of our players were falling over particularly in the first quarter so it must have been dewy or we had the wrong boots on.

The city seems to have embraced it which is a massive positive and I can't fault the staff and effort that went into organising the day.

You'd almost think it was the first time the venue held an official AFL game, with plenty of positives and some areas to improve.

The bulldog tragician
20-08-2017, 11:55 AM
It was an enjoyable day apart from the result. The ground looked a picture. The sound system worked better than Etihad where in our section it is impossible to hear interviews or even the song. It was magnificent seeing the red white and blue everywhere and hardy souls in the outer with their picnic rugs and blankets.

I don't believe we would have won at Etihad. This is where we are at right now - it's now too apparent over the entire season wherever we've played that for a whole host of reasons - some obvious, some less so - we don't have the same fanatical hunger, our match tactics and selections don't seem to have hit the mark, key players have been inconsistent or injured, and our skill level has dropped alarmingly. The players that missed the flag but could have given us that 10% improvement to cover for the slow form decline of our veterans - Jong, Crameri, Redpath, Wallis - haven't been able to do so. 2017 has been a bust. Roll on 2018.

bornadog
20-08-2017, 05:51 PM
It was an enjoyable day apart from the result. The ground looked a picture. The sound system worked better than Etihad where in our section it is impossible to hear interviews or even the song. It was magnificent seeing the red white and blue everywhere and hardy souls in the outer with their picnic rugs and blankets.

I don't believe we would have won at Etihad. This is where we are at right now - it's now too apparent over the entire season wherever we've played that for a whole host of reasons - some obvious, some less so - we don't have the same fanatical hunger, our match tactics and selections don't seem to have hit the mark, key players have been inconsistent or injured, and our skill level has dropped alarmingly. The players that missed the flag but could have given us that 10% improvement to cover for the slow form decline of our veterans - Jong, Crameri, Redpath, Wallis - haven't been able to do so. 2017 has been a bust. Roll on 2018.

The reason we lost yesterday was when the game was there to be won (remember scores level with 5 minutes to go), there was no one to take hold of the game and be a hero. The Bont was way down yesterday and he is usually the one to take hold and do it for us. We also made some crucial errors that gifted Ryder and Dixon the ball. These were from the kick out. Why would you kick the ball straight to Ryder.

bornadog
20-08-2017, 05:56 PM
Back to the venue I have to say I was a bit disappointed. The seating is small and cramped compared to other grounds with little leg room. It certainly doesn't help when so many fans want to take their seat 2 or 3 minutes into the quarter and then get a jump on the queues 2 or 3 minutes before the quarter ends. The section I was in was constantly performing a lame Mexican wave type effort letting people through.

Yes parking was inadequate, but the city did a great job to have the parkn ride facilities. I drove out to the BWEZ area on the ring rd, and there was massive parking available. The buses were there ready when I arrived, and took off pretty much straight away, and after the game the buses were there at the ground to pick us up. I will say, the architects, like at Etihad, and MCG southern stand, don't know how to design a big enough toilet.

Eastdog
20-08-2017, 08:32 PM
Was speaking to my mate today who went up to Ballarat yesterday. Said he enjoyed the game day experience although like all of us the result in the game not so good in the end. The beers he said were in cans not plastic cups and that it was very much like just going to local footy ground except with a bigger crowd. The crowd number he said was good with many Doggies fans making the trips and locals going as well.

One thing he said is that we need to get used to playing on the ground a bit more and playing in those type of conditions different to Etihad. We train in them a lot at Whitten Oval but don't actually play much in wet and windy conditions which I think is important.

ledge
21-08-2017, 04:51 PM
We have played 3 games there now and haven't won one.
Admittedly two practice matches but it might be a ground that doesn't suit us . Are the dimensions similar to Etihad ? We know the conditions aren't but training at Whitten oval would be the closest you would get in that respect.

Eastdog
21-08-2017, 04:55 PM
Admittedly two practice matches but it might be a ground that doesn't suit us . Are the dimensions similar to Etihad ? We know the conditions aren't but training at Whitten oval would be the closest you would get in that respect.

Yes they said on the TV coverage on Saturday that the ground dimensions are pretty much the same as Etihad. Whitten Oval training and any games we play at the MCG when it rains is the closest we get to that.

bornadog
21-08-2017, 05:10 PM

During the redevelopment, they changed the configuration to be the same as Etihad.

bornadog
21-08-2017, 05:11 PM
The best thing about going to Ballarat (as it turned out), was having a meal at Catfish. Great restaurant and highly recommended.

comrade
21-08-2017, 06:06 PM
The best thing about going to Ballarat (as it turned out), was having a meal at Catfish. Great restaurant and highly recommended.

Yep, probably the best restaurant in the region. The town overall has definitely upped it's food game over the past few years.

Smads57
21-08-2017, 06:06 PM
Really enjoyed the day out with a fellow Bulldog die hard. We were in the outer and it reminded me of the outer at Cazaly Stadium a few weeks back in respect of to having a picnic atmosphere - with the obvious exception of warmer weather. Like someone mentioned above, the atmosphere in the outer was like a local game and was something I really enjoyed.

LostDoggy
21-08-2017, 06:20 PM
That's an honest appraisal, the Council are studying everything from the Live Site which was under patronised to aerial footage to look at how roads were used and where people parked. We would expect the next game to be a little slicker in terms of logistics and they will build on the strengths and improve on the weaknesses.

LostDoggy
21-08-2017, 06:25 PM
You nailed that. We brought our Etihad game to the first quarter. We were handballing when we had a decisive wind advantage that we should have been kicking with. We lost about four goals that quarter. Yes we should have been training in Ballarat from the Monday not at Whitten Oval on the Friday night before the game.

GVGjr
21-08-2017, 06:27 PM
That's an honest appraisal, the Council are studying everything from the Live Site which was under patronised to aerial footage to look at how roads were used and where people parked. We would expect the next game to be a little slicker in terms of logistics and they will build on the strengths and improve on the weaknesses.Many thanks, my concern was also around the seating which appeared to be cramped and uncomfortable and I wouldn't think thats something that will be fixed

bornadog
21-08-2017, 06:27 PM
Yep, probably the best restaurant in the region. The town overall has definitely upped it's food game over the past few years.

On the Friday night we went to The Mallow Hotel for a counter dinner and that was also very good.

LostDoggy
21-08-2017, 06:32 PM
Some cool aerial images on the day:

Pre-game at 10am:

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/20863552_10154589031976441_6570178632866100121_o.jpg?efg=eyJ pIjoibCJ9&oh=cc4bcacd167e7e2b5c656fbac49e5ade&oe=5A35D5BF

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/20994023_1915970881974749_7699264903076780085_n.jpg?efg=eyJp IjoibCJ9&oh=52e39ad1181a9b3db63b408b444736a7&oe=5A36AF06

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/20901564_10154594086666441_1973937984635897926_o.jpg?efg=eyJ pIjoibCJ9&oh=8b4aafa424a5c27243d5fe593623a1a4&oe=5A32CA83

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/20861728_332939040452603_6663269789873811060_o.jpg?efg=eyJpI joibCJ9&oh=d88f6bb968d4bb3514a6cc8444f3862c&oe=5A16092E

bornadog
21-08-2017, 06:38 PM
Great photos, thanks Woofer

dadsgirl16
21-08-2017, 07:03 PM
We caught the train up and had a good day except for the result of course..went to one of the function thingys and was fed and watered beautifully No problem with the seats but then I am vertically challenged!

Eastdog
21-08-2017, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the photos Woofer. Crowd looks great plenty of red, white and Blue I can see.

LostDoggy
21-08-2017, 08:33 PM
Many thanks, my concern was also around the seating which appeared to be cramped and uncomfortable and I wouldn't think thats something that will be fixed
I've been there and I am 6 feet tall and personally haven't found that, but perhaps that might be something looked at with future stands. It will be interesting to see what the Council have learned from the first big event.

The ground has a real sense of closeness to the field and everything else that you loose with the vastness of the bigger stadiums. It was definitely worse in the old days when we used to jam onto bench seats shoulder to shoulder and there was no leg room at all. When the siren blew to start the quarter, that's where you stayed until it blew again. The old standing areas at the VFL grounds were worse, you stood shoulder to shoulder and the kids jostled to look between the adults.

The world of course was much skinnier then too, imagine today's larger generation coping with that :-)

Bulldog4life
22-08-2017, 09:45 AM
On the Friday night we went to The Mallow Hotel for a counter dinner and that was also very good.

Ah the old counter meal and a couple of pots in your lunch hour. The good old days.

LostDoggy
22-08-2017, 09:52 PM
Ah the old counter meal and a couple of pots in your lunch hour. The good old days.

Geez ... The Mallow Hotel, what great old pub that is. It is one of a few traditional pubs left. There of course is "The Queens Head", "The Bunch of Grapes", "The Miller's Arms" (My personal favourite), the "Black Hill", and of course the "North Britain". Old traditional pubs ... there aren't too many of them left nowadays that don't have pokies, TAB or which have been turned into Bistros and Brasseries.

Twodogs
25-08-2017, 07:25 AM
Geez ... The Mallow Hotel, what great old pub that is. It is one of a few traditional pubs left. There of course is "The Queens Head", "The Bunch of Grapes", "The Miller's Arms" (My personal favourite), the "Black Hill", and of course the "North Britain". Old traditional pubs ... there aren't too many of them left nowadays that don't have pokies, TAB or which have been turned into Bistros and Brasseries.

Virtually none left in Footscray anymore.

It was a bit cramped but we had a very large gentleman sitting alongside us. I was happy enough to be under cover just in case it rained like it can in Ballarat.

bornadog
25-08-2017, 10:20 AM
Virtually none left in Footscray anymore.

It was a bit cramped but we had a very large gentleman sitting alongside us. I was happy enough to be under cover just in case it rained like it can in Ballarat.

The last 5 minutes ruined what would have been a brilliant weekend - *!*!*!*!

Axe Man
14-09-2017, 05:26 PM
North Ballarat has just had it's VFL licence revoked, so no VFL games for Eureka next year?

Twodogs
15-09-2017, 12:21 PM
North Ballarat has just had it's VFL licence revoked, so no VFL games for Eureka next year?

It's an intersesting decision that may well affect us but won't get the examination it deserves because we are a bit distracted at the moment.

bulldogtragic
15-09-2017, 01:09 PM
Have to think there's little justification for further expansion if there's only 2 AFL games, no VFL games but maybe some local games. I'd love to have that grand stand expanded and allow many more members to get in.

bornadog
15-09-2017, 02:05 PM
Heard Gillion this morning saying he expects North Ballarat to re group and be back in the future, a bit like a Frankston.

Webby
15-09-2017, 02:14 PM
They should re-launch as a separate brand which encapsulates the broader Ballarat area.

What colours did the old Ballarat league rep side wear?

Webby
15-09-2017, 02:34 PM
Answering my own question here. It's navy blue and white.

In fact, it's traditionally been the same design as North Ballarat's - just navy blue substituting black. Same as the old Sunshine VFA guernsey... That might appeal to all BFL people and give them a bit more or a feeling of ownership or buy-in for the team?

Sedat
15-09-2017, 02:54 PM
Surely Footscray would play some of our home games there moving forward - 50/50 split with the kennel would be a great way to continue fostering our Ballarat relationship at grass roots level.

comrade
15-09-2017, 03:24 PM
Surely Footscray would play some of our home games there moving forward - 50/50 split with the kennel would be a great way to continue fostering our Ballarat relationship at grass roots level.

Some people will get upset about taking games away from WO, and I do love the whole experience attending games there but honestly, the wind makes it unwatchable at times. Splitting some games between WO and Ballarat wouldn't be the end of the world.

Webby
15-09-2017, 03:25 PM

Perhaps also an opportunity to gather some of the in-limbo North Ballarat players and forge a bit of a local link..?
Perhaps a gentleman's agreement to clear them back if/when NB are readmitted? Thus avoiding being seen as vultures..

Twodogs
15-09-2017, 03:55 PM

Some people will get upset about taking games away from WO, and I do love the whole experience attending games there but honestly, the wind makes it unwatchable at times. Splitting some games between WO and Ballarat wouldn't be the end of the world.

That's not a bad idea at all. I'm a Footscray local and I'd go to war to keep games at Whitten oval (I know I've done it before:) ) but Footscray splitting games between Eureka and WO makes a lot of sense and may help aleviate the situation with North Ballarat untimely removal (honestly VFL how much would it have cost to have NB play in the comp as compared to the fact they now have to walk away from a virtually purpose built facility a few weeks after it officially opened?) That makes no sense to me.