PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Tiger Tango's from the past

HOSE B ROMERO
06-05-2017, 04:01 PM
Wins against the 'Terrible Tiges' are so satisfying for me because the tiger fans i've known are always so bloody cocky.

Anyway the first one goes way back to 1983; Anzac day; big crowd. Previous year we were wooden spooners; they were runners up. We had gone on a massive recruiting drive the previous summer and were 3 from 4 going in to the game.
What happened in the first quarter was extraordinary. At qtr time, we led ten goals to nil!! Richmond staged a gradual comeback and from memory, Jim 'the ghost' Jess had the ball in his hands when the final siren sounded. We'd hung on by 2 points with 'Jock' Edmond kicking 6. I lost my car keys and had to break the ignition lock on the Torana but i didn't care.

The other game was actually a drawn game from about 10 years ago at Doglands. The Tiges were well up entering time on in the last. Enter Brad Johnson. Johnno kicked the last 3 goals to salvage a draw from the jaws of defeat. I'm telling you it was a dry day that day but their was 'tiger tears' streaming down the aisles of Etihad....

comrade
06-05-2017, 04:09 PM
I've never known the Tigers to be anything but utter shite so I find it really difficult to muster up any anger or banter at our games. And I love my banter!

Happy Days
06-05-2017, 04:39 PM
Round 1 2006 will always have a special place in my heart. The first time I ever saw us absolutely kill a team.

HOSE B ROMERO
06-05-2017, 05:23 PM
Round 1 2006 will always have a special place in my heart. The first time I ever saw us absolutely kill a team.

Oooh yeah, forgot that one. I took my wife to her first game. She said after the final siren "does this happen every week?"

Twodogs
06-05-2017, 05:36 PM
Wins against the 'Terrible Tiges' are so satisfying for me because the tiger fans i've known are always so bloody cocky.

Anyway the first one goes way back to 1983; Anzac day; big crowd. Previous year we were wooden spooners; they were runners up. We had gone on a massive recruiting drive the previous summer and were 3 from 4 going in to the game.
What happened in the first quarter was extraordinary. At qtr time, we led ten goals to nil!! Richmond staged a gradual comeback and from memory, Jim 'the ghost' Jess had the ball in his hands when the final siren sounded. We'd hung on by 2 points with 'Jock' Edmond kicking 6. I lost my car keys and had to break the ignition lock on the Torana but i didn't care.

The other game was actually a drawn game from about 10 years ago at Doglands. The Tiges were well up entering time on in the last. Enter Brad Johnson. Johnno kicked the last 3 goals to salvage a draw from the jaws of defeat. I'm telling you it was a dry day that day but their was 'tiger tears' streaming down the aisles of Etihad....

Bloody good thread. That match was extraordinary from the huge crowd to the game itself. Richmond actually got in front during the last quarter but we summoned a huge effort and snatched the lead back (I think it was jimmy Edmond kicked the winner)

Anyway my game is from 1979 at the Whitten Oval. It'd been an ordinary year and I took it as a personal affront when a Tasmanian, Michael Roach, was selected in the Victorian SOO team ahead of Victorian born Kelvin Templeton. Richmond come to Whitten oval in round 19. Kelvin kicks six if his own boot, Richmond kicks six between the,, Ian Morrison doesn't let Roach near it (he got 4 handballs for the game) and we win by 56 points!

Stick that where the Sun don't shine Victorian selectors. The mans name is Templeton. Kelvin Templeton.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-05-2017, 08:20 PM

Yep that one was special for me too. Picked me up after my Dad had passed away a couple of days prior to it.

Remi Moses
06-05-2017, 08:24 PM
Bloody good thread. That match was extraordinary from the huge crowd to the game itself. Richmond actually got in front during the last quarter but we summoned a huge effort and snatched the lead back (I think it was jimmy Edmond kicked the winner)

Anyway my game is from 1979 at the Whitten Oval. It'd been an ordinary year and I took it as a personal affront when a Tasmanian, Michael Roach, was selected in the Victorian SOO team ahead of Victorian born Kelvin Templeton. Richmond come to Whitten oval in round 19. Kelvin kicks six if his own boot, Richmond kicks six between the,, Ian Morrison doesn't let Roach near it (he got 4 handballs for the game) and we win by 56 points!

Stick that where the Sun don't shine Victorian selectors. The mans name is Templeton. Kelvin Templeton.

Ditto for the hall of fame selectors

Twodogs
07-05-2017, 01:14 AM
Ditto for the hall of fame selectors

Cannot believe that. It's a farce as an institution until it's put right and he's inducted.

*!*!*!*! just being just in the HOF. He should have been in it years ago. He should be a Legend by now. HE WON A BROWNLOW AND TWO COLEMANS BY THE TIME HE WAS 22!!!!!!! If it was 3 Brownlows there'd be no question.

bornadog
07-05-2017, 10:33 AM
Cannot believe that. It's a farce as an institution until it's put right and he's inducted.

*!*!*!*! just being just in the HOF. He should have been in it years ago. He should be a Legend by now. HE WON A BROWNLOW AND TWO COLEMANS BY THE TIME HE WAS 22!!!!!!! If it was 3 Brownlows there'd be no question.

Unheard of winning a Brownlow from CHF (Royce Hart moved him to CHF and he was so good he won a Brownlow)

The bulldog tragician
07-05-2017, 11:33 AM
I actually think the Tigers' wait for success has become almost as poignant as ours was and I know a few Richmond fans who rejoiced with us last year, maybe seeing it as giving hope for them. One bloke I work with decorated my desk in red white and blue streamers the week before the grand final. And two friends went to the WO on GF day, in their yellow and black gear, and celebrated with the crowd.

having said that, I used to fear them something shocking.

And for a stroll down memory lane, here's something I wrote about that Anzac Day thrilling win. THe Tigers lodged a complaint about the umpiring that day :)

http://www.bulldogtragician.com/the-tragician-blog/dogs-and-tigers-fellow-travellers-on-the-long-and-winding-road

Twodogs
07-05-2017, 12:14 PM
I actually think the Tigers' wait for success has become almost as poignant as ours was and I know a few Richmond fans who rejoiced with us last year, maybe seeing it as giving hope for them. One bloke I work with decorated my desk in red white and blue streamers the week before the grand final. And two friends went to the WO on GF day, in their yellow and black gear, and celebrated with the crowd.

And for a stroll down memory lane, here's something I wrote about that Anzac Day thrilling win. THe Tigers lodged a complaint about the umpiring that day :)

http://www.bulldogtragician.com/the-tragician-blog/dogs-and-tigers-fellow-travellers-on-the-long-and-winding-road

That is fantastic. Especially the news paper articles. I'd forgotten all about the big umpiring sook they had.

HOSE B ROMERO
11-05-2017, 07:09 PM

Hmm... no, still too recent for me. Let them wait another decade... or 62 years.

LostDoggy
11-05-2017, 08:19 PM
1997 Round 3 M.C.G.
10 points down at 3 qtr time with us steamrolling in the last kicking 7 goals to 2.
Can still see Bubba Smith streaming through the centre square and bombing one from outside fifty in the last to put us in front.
His goal celebration of waving his fist in the face of some Richmond Spud was Electrifying!

always right
11-05-2017, 09:16 PM
I grew up in Glen Waverley which was Richmond's zone in the 60's/70's. Going to school and having "the moighty Tiges" rammed down my throat every week was too much to bear. Ever since they have been my most loathed team...although GWS are making ground rapidly.

craigsahibee
12-05-2017, 09:40 AM
1997 Round 3 M.C.G.
10 points down at 3 qtr time with us steamrolling in the last kicking 7 goals to 2.
Can still see Bubba Smith streaming through the centre square and bombing one from outside fifty in the last to put us in front.
His goal celebration of waving his fist in the face of some Richmond Spud was Electrifying!

Remember that game vividly.

As we started running over the top of them, Wayne Campbell was furiously pointing at his Richmond teammates to pick up a man. Which was quite ironic in the fact that Campbell never went anywhere near an opponent for his entire career.

Twodogs
12-05-2017, 11:05 AM
Remember that game vividly.

As we started running over the top of them, Wayne Campbell was furiously pointing at his Richmond teammates to pick up a man. Which was quite ironic in the fact that Campbell never went anywhere near an opponent for his entire career.

My second favourite thing last year was when they miked up Bendan Goddard for a Friday night match. David Zacharakis runs past and Goddard yells out "Zakka, Zakka, where's your man" Zakka (who was captain for the night) stops and looks at Goddard and says "where's YOUR *!*!*!*!ing man?" and then runs off.

Funniest thing I've seen in years.