PDA

View Full Version : All The Small Things, Round 7

bulldogtragic
06-05-2017, 11:10 PM
Celebration or criticism of the little things.

Not shepherding on the line for Dahl's shot in the last quarter. Could've cost us more than just that goal.

Tom Boyds handballing in close. Seems he's a card carrying member of the handball club.

bulldogtragic
06-05-2017, 11:26 PM
Marcus Adams contested Mark with 25 seconds to go.

LostDoggy
06-05-2017, 11:28 PM
Clay kicking 4 goals after being very out of form the last two games

EasternWest
06-05-2017, 11:28 PM

Seconded.

I'm pretty keen on keeping him around next year.

bulldogtragic
06-05-2017, 11:33 PM
Seconded.

I'm pretty keen on keeping him around next year.

No brainer now. With Picko, English & Caleb done, JJ on hold. This is the next one.

SlimPickens
07-05-2017, 08:46 AM

Crucial. Bonts contested mark in defensive 50, with a couple of minutes left.

Sedat
07-05-2017, 09:13 AM
Fletcher Roberts - just about everything he does qualifies for.this thread.

SonofScray
07-05-2017, 09:27 AM
Fletcher Roberts - just about everything he does qualifies for.this thread.

His influence with all the small things is a bit like the flap of a butterfly wing and the ensuing tsunami.

Remi Moses
07-05-2017, 10:12 AM
This thread should be changed to all things Fletcher Roberts

Flamethrower
07-05-2017, 11:28 AM
According to the AFL commission, the deliberate out of bounds is working "perfectly".

If I was as "perfect" at my job I would be sacked immediately and jailed for medical incompetence.

comrade
07-05-2017, 02:31 PM
Anyone pick up on Macrae's massive barrelling of Lin Jong? Jacko had just chased down Dusty and won a HTB free before Lin Jong rushed and took an ill advised advantage (made worse by Murphy coughing it up) that led to a Tigers goal. Macrae was filthy at Jong and let him know about it.

They're great mates off field so I'm sure it will be sweet but I thought it was actually a good sign that Macrae was willing to put his foot down rather than meekly accept the stuff up.

bulldogtragic
07-05-2017, 02:33 PM
Anyone pick up on Macrae's massive barrelling of Lin Jong? Jacko had just chased down Dusty and won a HTB free before Lin Jong rushed and took an ill advised advantage (made worse by Murphy coughing it up) that led to a Tigers goal. Macrae was filthy at Jong and let him know about it.

They're great mates off field so I'm sure it will be sweet but I thought it was actually a good sign that Macrae was willing to put his foot down rather than meekly accept the stuff up.

I didn't notice it. Tough love is still love though. It's those stuff ups Jong needs to get out of his game to really reach his potential.

comrade
07-05-2017, 02:36 PM
I didn't notice it. Tough love is still love though. It's those stuff ups Jong needs to get out of his game to really reach his potential.

It stood out to me as Macrae is such a quiet achiever. He was livid in a 'I'm sick of this ****' kind of way and as he was walking back to the middle, a few of the players were getting around him. He's growing into a real leader.

Ozza
07-05-2017, 02:45 PM
It stood out to me as Macrae is such a quiet achiever. He was livid in a 'I'm sick of this ****' kind of way and as he was walking back to the middle, a few of the players were getting around him. He's growing into a real leader.

From everything Ive heard about Jacko, he is a different man on the field to off it - and is supposedly quite vocal on the field, bit of white line fever.

Twodogs
07-05-2017, 05:29 PM
No brainer now. With Picko, English & Caleb done, JJ on hold. This is the next one.

Isn't JJ back in play? I heard it on SEN last week I think it was.

Crucial. Bonts contested mark in defensive 50, with a couple of minutes left.

How good was the arrogant look on his face when he took that contested mark in the forward 50 in the first quarter. That ball was travelling and it just stopped into those beautiful soft hands as Bont hipped his opponent into the ground. Looked like he'd just swatted a fly. It's a pity he missed the shot at goal.

I missed it. I was on my knees punching the ground. It hurt but it felt better than trying to deal with what I'd just seen Jong and Murph do.

From everything Ive heard about Jacko, he is a different man on the field to off it - and is supposedly quite vocal on the field, bit of white line fever.

I think the most competitive player I've seen. Maybe Scotty West has him covered and Libba sr. was one for making sure everything had been tried before we surrendered. But Jack is right up there.

Mantis
08-05-2017, 08:28 AM

Jong made the wrong call, but it was Murf who coughed the ball up into the wrong spot.

soupman
08-05-2017, 09:54 AM
Jong made the wrong call, but it was Murf who coughed the ball up into the wrong spot.

I didn't really think either player was at fault really, at least not through stupidity.

Jong did what we always do, try and keep the ball moving and give it to a better user. Murphy was a good option, the handball to him was maybe a touch loopy but was alright. Murphy turned for space as he always does but unfortunately was blindsided by the Richmond player. He still had enough time to get the disposal away but couldn't get the power to get it to a teammate.

As bad a turn over as it was I don't really think either player stuffed up anything other than the execution. Which sounds stupid, as that's the most important part.

soupman
08-05-2017, 09:57 AM
On the subject of "small things" though, I thought Dahlhaus' first quarter summed up the whole sides. Intensity was there, possession and inside 50's were there, but his (and our) disposal, particularly into the forward 50, was woeful.

craigsahibee
08-05-2017, 09:59 AM
I just expect Fletch to have a good game these days. Just does the right stuff at the right time.

Rocket Science
08-05-2017, 10:54 AM
I just expect Fletch to have a good game these days. Just does the right stuff at the right time.

Does look to have ironed out the hesitancy and mistiming from his game giving us some much needed peace of mind back there.

Reminds a little of the transformation Biggs went through last year. Here's hoping he recovers that groove.

bornadog
08-05-2017, 01:08 PM
On the subject of "small things" though, I thought Dahlhaus' first quarter summed up the whole sides. Intensity was there, possession and inside 50's were there, but his (and our) disposal, particularly into the forward 50, was woeful.

One thing I noted at the game, Murphy just bombs the ball into the forward 50 - is he instructed to do this?

boydogs
08-05-2017, 11:48 PM
One thing I noted at the game, Murphy just bombs the ball into the forward 50 - is he instructed to do this?

On TV, he was clearly kicking to advantage - long kicks, but to space and areas where we had a tall target or even or better numbers

always right
09-05-2017, 11:47 AM
On TV, he was clearly kicking to advantage - long kicks, but to space and areas where we had a tall target or even or better numbers

It seems to me that Murph's disposal in defence and midfield is as good as ever.....perhaps because his target has a little more space.....but his kicking into the forward line appears to lack the precision he is renowned for. Agree he still kicks to advantage but I miss him lowering his eyes and hitting shorter targets. It does seem like he is playing to instruction.

Twodogs
09-05-2017, 02:19 PM
But what is the tactical advantage of Murph kicking long bombs to the top of the goal square? What is supposed to happen then?

I don't disagree that he is doing it to instruction, that's what it looks like to me, I'm just wondering why.

Mofra
09-05-2017, 02:42 PM
He would have been a star in the 80s. Does the basics well and can kick the ball a mile.

There's some nostalgic goodness in watching a fullback take the kick-ins.

LostDoggy
09-05-2017, 06:12 PM
Riewoldt trying to take unrealistic hangers deep in the last qtr and getting pinged.

bornadog
09-05-2017, 06:15 PM
Riewoldt trying to take unrealistic hangers deep in the last qtr and getting pinged.

gave away a lot of frees. If I were his coach I would tell him to pull his head in. :D

comrade
09-05-2017, 06:19 PM

If I was a Richmond fan, I'd be blaming him for the loss more than the 50/50 OOB call. Terrible teammate.

bulldogtragic
09-05-2017, 07:10 PM
If I was a Richmond fan, I'd be blaming him for the loss more than the 50/50 OOB call. Terrible teammate.

I loved his remonstrating with the umpire.... But the ball was within 25 metres and cane along 2 seconds after I jumped...

Twodogs
09-05-2017, 09:26 PM
He would have been a star in the 80s. Does the basics well and can kick the ball a mile.

There's some nostalgic goodness in watching a fullback take the kick-ins.

There certainly is. Did Brian Lake take many kick outs? He could kick the ball a mile but if Lindsay Gilbee is nearby then he's gonna take the kick. Because he could also kick the ball a mile and land it in a cardboard box.

Bulldog4life
10-05-2017, 04:17 PM
Marcus Adams looking like a reliable forward leading out, taking marks and kicking goals. The going back and taking the last match saving mark across half back. Our new swingman.

bulldogtragic
10-05-2017, 04:21 PM
Bailey Williams in the third. Runs off the back line, through the corridor, gets a handball Recieve off Daniel and gives the best forward 50 entry of the year hitting Magic on the lead with a lace out worm burner right in front.

I hope to see a lot more of that with JJ, and eventually Brad Lynch. I think we need to invest more time into Williams (if he continues to have excellent moments) and let Boyd & Biggs fight for the last HBF spot. Which I'd prefer to be Biggs.

WBFC4FFC
10-05-2017, 06:35 PM
Bailey Williams in the third. Runs off the back line, through the corridor, gets a handball Recieve off Daniel and gives the best forward 50 entry of the year hitting Magic on the lead with a lace out worm burner right in front.

I hope to see a lot more of that with JJ, and eventually Brad Lynch. I think we need to invest more time into Williams (if he continues to have excellent moments) and let Boyd & Biggs fight for the last HBF spot. Which I'd prefer to be Biggs.

Williams creates time and space for himself without running around like a headless chook. Not too many can do that.

ratsmac
10-05-2017, 07:49 PM
Williams creates time and space for himself without running around like a headless chook. Not too many can do that.

Well he's obviously not married then :p