PDA

View Full Version : Carlton Sponsorship Issues

jeemak
11-05-2017, 01:54 AM
It looks as if something messy is about to unfold at Carlton:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/blues-face-1-million-black-hole-as-sponsor-pulls-out-20170510-gw20yl.html

Carlton president Mark LoGiudice has denied the club could be forced to seek financial aid from the AFL following the impending withdrawal of its major sponsor CareerOne, the registered training organisation chaired by former AFL boss Andrew Demetriou.

In a disastrous turn of events for the Blues the club is facing a black hole of more than $1 million after a major client of CareerOne was suspended pending a Federal Government audit.

Demetriou told Fairfax Media he had personally called LoGiudice to inform him that CareerOne could not meet its 2017 sponsorship commitments. He also confirmed that CareerOne had advised Carlton to look for a new major sponsor.

The Carlton president has held talks with both Demetriou in recent days and has also met CareerOne managing director John Wall in a bid to clarify the financial situation. He said that for now the players would continue to wear the CareerOne logo on their jumpers along with co major sponsor Hyundai.

LoGiudice confirmed CareerOne – in the third year of a three-year arrangement with the Blues worth a total estimated $4.5 million – had not met all its 2017 financial commitments to the club and that Carlton was now searching for a new major sponsor.

But despite the current financial strain on the club LoGiudice said the Blues had not yet approached the AFL seeking an early dividend payment or any other form of financial assistance.

"Right now it's business as usual," said LoGiudice.

"We're confident we'll get paid. There has to be a little bit of give and take in all this. They [CareerOne] have been great supporters of ours and we will come to a resolution." Of the Blues' current bottom line and cash flow LoGiudice said: "It's going to be tight but it's not catastrophic. Of course it's tough but our business has improved dramatically in recent years. There's only five clubs out of 18 that actually make money."

Demetriou said the failure to meet its quarterly payment program with Carlton had come about "through
nothing CareerOne has done and I explained that to Mark".

He said the suspension of major client Careers Australia had seen CareerOne fail to meet its financial commitments but denied the company would cease trading.

"CareerOne and Carlton have enjoyed a great relationship," said Demetriou. "I understand better than anyone how tough it is for clubs when they're relying on certain payments so our managing director has advised Carlton to look for an alternative sponsor."

CareerOne is an offshoot of the financially troubled parent Acquire Learning, a vocational education broker which fell foul of government legislation in 2015 overhauling the student loans scheme due to concerns about some RTO providers and marketers.

CareerOne had also been the AFL's official provider in a deal in which Demetriou denied having any involvement. Demetriou added that contrary to previous reports he was not a director with Acquire Learning.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/blues-face-1-million-black-hole-as-sponsor-pulls-out-20170510-gw20yl.html

Twodogs
11-05-2017, 04:57 AM
That's tragic for Carlton. I hope they don't become irrelevant.

ledge
11-05-2017, 05:43 AM
I remember when they built the legends stand and they had pictures of all the star players on the back wall , a year later they were gone and you had to pay $5 to sit in it ., no one paid it, it was empty most games.
I think that was the Collins era , it's been slowly going down hill since.
I've been saying for a few years now the big four clubs is a myth.
Carlton are worse off than us and Essendon are nowhere near the big club either.
Collingwood might be in for some pain also if sponsors start to jump Off and go to up And coming clubs.
The draft and other equalization moves have changed the dynamic of the competition.
Richmond have had their share of trouble to but seem to be coming out of it as they tend to be great at sending false hope to supporters and sponsors.

The Doctor
11-05-2017, 08:30 AM
tragic

The Doctor
11-05-2017, 08:32 AM
The draft and other equalization moves have changed the dynamic of the competition.

more likely mismanagement have led them to their predicaments

soupman
11-05-2017, 09:01 AM
Richmond have had their share of trouble to but seem to be coming out of it as they tend to be great at sending false hope to supporters and sponsors.
Richmond to their credit have never let a lack of success or any real reward deter their supporters from signing up and attending games.

Collingwood also continue to be a big club, but considering how little Richmond have given back the support they receive is phenomenal. I don't particularly like them, but that is one supporter group that deserves success more than others.

comrade
11-05-2017, 09:34 AM
You jump into bed with a sham RTO, this is what you get.

Topdog
11-05-2017, 10:25 AM
Boys club gone wrong.

Remi Moses
11-05-2017, 10:29 AM
Sure we can organise a whip around .
Shouldn't clubs who can't look after themselves be booted out of the comp?
Sure I heard Tom Elliott utter those words

bornadog
11-05-2017, 10:31 AM

Do you mean Jack?

Axe Man
11-05-2017, 10:45 AM
Gold Coast and Melbourne still don't have sponsors on the back of their jumpers at round 8 either.

We are travelling beautifully at the moment, just need to make the most of it because it won't last forever.

Happy Days
11-05-2017, 01:00 PM
This is absolutely awesome. Not just that Carlton are stuffed, but that so are CareerOne; one of the scummiest organisations to ever come into existence.

Ozza
11-05-2017, 01:03 PM

I, for one, am sick of having to prop up these smaller Victorian clubs. Maybe its time to start talking merger or relocation for these clubs battling for sponsorship and cash flow....

Twodogs
11-05-2017, 01:03 PM
Do you mean Jack?

Tom's the lippy one now with all the solutions to the worlds problems on 3aw. I sometimes listen when I need to feed my sense of superiority. Half an hour listening to him and remembering that he had the best education money can buy would be enough to fuel anyone's ego. The guy is a moron.

bornadog
11-05-2017, 01:17 PM
Tom's the lippy one now with all the solutions to the worlds problems on 3aw. I sometimes listen when I need to feed my sense of superiority. Half an hour listening to him and remembering that he had the best education money can buy would be enough to fuel anyone's ego. The guy is a moron.

Cheers, I don't know him at all

aker39
11-05-2017, 01:32 PM

John's son

bulldogtragic
11-05-2017, 01:35 PM

Derryn Hinch has said publicly his nickname at 3AW is JESS... John Elliott's Stupid Son.

Twodogs
11-05-2017, 05:39 PM
Derryn Hinch has said publicly his nickname at 3AW is JESS... John Elliott's Stupid Son.

So if I rang his talkback and accidentally called him Jess instead of Tom I'd probable be hung up on?

jeemak
11-05-2017, 09:09 PM
This is absolutely awesome. Not just that Carlton are stuffed, but that so are CareerOne; one of the scummiest organisations to ever come into existence.

Absolute trash for whom preying on the vulnerable and uneducated is key to business success.

Twodogs
11-05-2017, 09:12 PM
Absolute trash for whom preying on the vulnerable and uneducated is key to business success.

All job providers and RTOs are evil, evil organisations. The government signed the ILO treaty and are supposed to provide a free, universal employment service. What it provides is a el cheapo biased alternative.

Who does Labour Market Testing now? How do we judge which jobs are disappearing and what we need to prepare for?

Sedat
11-05-2017, 10:14 PM
Demetriou sure likes to give it to Carlton with no lube.

comrade
11-05-2017, 10:54 PM
Demetriou sure likes to give it to Carlton with no lube.

Well deserved. How Trigg got another CEO gig after his disastrous Adelaide reign, I'll never know. This just cements his legacy as an A grade lunk head.

bulldogtragic
07-07-2018, 06:51 PM
Just bumping a Carlton thread. I can't see them not sacking Bolton at season's end. He seemed to be a successful assistant coach in the Hawthorn set up, I'm pretty sure at the same time as Bevo.

Question: I wonder if he'd be a good get as a senior assistant coach to shake our coaching group up?

macca
08-07-2018, 12:45 AM
I was thinking of the same watching Today's game. Bolton's days look numbered. The list is shot, and the players look completely disinterested. Silvagni has made some really poor list decisions some even twice with some of the GWS "b" team recruits.

Carlton are now a worse team than Brisbane and have not bottomed out.

Remi Moses
08-07-2018, 10:25 PM
It’s glorious

Happy Days
08-07-2018, 10:46 PM
Bolton took some steps last season but has totally cooked it this year. His defensive set up (having all players 20m in front of their men) is incredibly stupid, his players aren't putting in any effort for him, and his selections are baffling. Would be surprised if he even sees the year out.

Cyberdoggie
09-07-2018, 12:04 PM
I don't think they have the right balance in the side. When your a struggling team, the type of players they have picked hasn't helped. Too many light bodied outside players and not enough big bodied guys to help Cripps in the engine room.
So many young talls that they can't decide on which one or where to play them, and a reject like Jones can keep a number 1 draft pick from developing in defence.

They needed to get Olly Wines and should of offered the kitchen sink for him.

Bolton's run may be ending with the players but I don't think it is dire straights for that team just yet. There is plenty of talent there, they just need to get the balance right and sort out their problems behind the scenes. Carlton is suffering because of it's arrogance of the past and they need to get rid off anyone who had anything to do with the good ol days and start fresh.

Let's hope they don't :)

Happy Days
09-07-2018, 12:40 PM
The talent is there but every single week they play at least 8 guys who aren’t AFL standard, and being in 3-4 more recycled players who are much the same every off-season.

The tactic of taking on bad players or contracts to get capital (as Carlton have done multiple times in trading with GWS) only works in American sports because of the fluid nature of their rosters. I was actually quite bullish for its potential as a tactic in the AFL, but it’s proven to wholly stymie list progression. Of course, their strategy of digging upwards and recruiting bad players merely to fit an age profile hasn’t helped.

The Doctor
09-07-2018, 01:23 PM
best thing for the competition is they keep Silvagni in his current position. It won't matter who coaches them.

Remi Moses
09-07-2018, 02:02 PM
I think they’re worse than Fitzroy
University ?

GVGjr
09-07-2018, 07:32 PM
best thing for the competition is they keep Silvagni in his current position. It won't matter who coaches them.

They should promote him to the senior coaches position and let him explain why they aren't performing to the expected level

Twodogs
09-07-2018, 08:28 PM
They should promote him to the senior coaches position and let him explain why they aren't performing to the expected level

SOS would take the job too.

ledge
10-07-2018, 08:54 PM
A Carlton fan rang Sen today and said that it was ironic they are in this mess when the bloke who is the list manager was one taking money under the table back in the Elliott days.

Twodogs
10-07-2018, 09:15 PM
A Carlton fan rang Sen today and said that it was ironic they are in this mess when the bloke who is the list manager was one taking money under the table back in the Elliott days.

So true. Carlton are still riddled with people who were there in the good old days and haven't really subscribed 100% to the build from the ground up model that Bolton has advocated for. The entrenched cowboy element at Carlton can't see why they have to do that and taking short cuts will limit the pain. They will white ant Bolton until he goes and then they will get someone on who is happy to coach teams comprised of other club's cast offs and the odd superstar.

Long may the Cowboys reign

macca
10-07-2018, 09:25 PM
So true. Carlton are still riddled with people who were there in the good old days and haven't really subscribed 100% to the build from the ground up model that Bolton has advocated for. The entrenched cowboy element at Carlton can't see why they have to do that and taking short cuts will limit the pain. They will white ant Bolton until he goes and then they will get someone on who is happy to coach teams comprised of other club's cast offs and the odd superstar.

Long may the Cowboys reign

PAGAN commenting about troubles still at Carlton ... nothing has changed

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-must-step-in-and-give-blues-priority-pick-pagan-20180710-p4zqn3.html

Twodogs
11-07-2018, 11:32 AM
PAGAN commenting about troubles still at Carlton ... nothing has changed

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-must-step-in-and-give-blues-priority-pick-pagan-20180710-p4zqn3.html

I love it when it's pointed out how draconian the penalties were. They were meant to be severe. Carlton were cheating the salary cap.

ledge
11-07-2018, 11:49 AM
I wouldn't give Carlton a priority pick on the basis they have destroyed top picks careers by their hopeless development process , don't let them destroy another kids career,
If I was the AFL I wouldn't give them one until they could show they can rearrange the environment to the better of a players development.
I wonder when the day will come a player will sue a club for negligence due to poor development and injuries hampering his career , if any club were to be sued it would be them.
They have or have had so many high draft picks it's hard to believe they haven't got a side making the 8.
It has to be the environment there that needs looking at.

Sedat
11-07-2018, 06:17 PM
I love it when it's pointed out how draconian the penalties were. They were meant to be severe. Carlton were cheating the salary cap.
I'm no apologist for Carlton - they were smug pricks when they ruled the roost back in the 70/80's - but Essendon's last 2 premierships (1993 and 2000) were both won over the salary cap, and to this day are the only two flags won when over the cap. If they were NRL clubs these flags would be stripped and stricken from the record books.

Salary cap cheats, drug chests, Sheedy inspired snipers. They are a piece of shit club.

Twodogs
11-07-2018, 07:37 PM
I'm no apologist for Carlton - they were smug pricks when they ruled the roost back in the 70/80's - but Essendon's last 2 premierships (1993 and 2000) were both won over the salary cap, and to this day are the only two flags won when over the cap. If they were NRL clubs these flags would be stripped and stricken from the record books.

Salary cap cheats, drug chests, Sheedy inspired snipers. They are a piece of shit club.

You're not wrong there. Is that why they had to ship those players, Justin Blumfield off to Richmond and one went to Brisbane and another to Melbourne? The AFL found out they were rorting the cap and all of a sudden Essendon had to clear a bunch of space in their SC.

azabob
11-07-2018, 08:46 PM
You're not wrong there. Is that why they had to ship those players, Justin Blumfield off to Richmond and one went to Brisbane and another to Melbourne? The AFL found out they were rorting the cap and all of a sudden Essendon had to clear a bunch of space in their SC.

Caracellea to Brisbane and I want to say Hardwick to port but that doesn’t sound right. Typical spin doctor Sheddy blamed the AFL for having to trade them.

Twodogs
11-07-2018, 09:17 PM
Caracellea to Brisbane and I want to say Hardwick to port but that doesn’t sound right. Typical spin doctor Sheddy blamed the AFL for having to trade them.

I looked it up, Chris Heffernen to Melbourne.

macca
12-07-2018, 01:19 AM
Was Darren Gaspar also one of the highest players at Richmond at the time? Amazing for a bloke who could not kick.