PDA

View Full Version : Everitt to forward line PLEASE

LostDoggy
10-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Ok, so he's not ready just yet to take the reins full-time. But i propose we throw him there for at least a quarter a game all year. He's so perfect for the future of the forward line its disgusting nobody thinks about it.:)

He's taller then Fevola, Tarrant, Pavlich, Lucas, Lloyd
He's a fantastic kick - specially for goal
He reads the play very well - which is vital for a forward to run in the right direction
He's young enough to learn all the ropes
He's dam quick for a player his height, and will be able to get away from defenders.
He's going to fill out nicely, and will weigh in the 93-99kg mark - Perfect.
We have only Tiller and Grant as up and coming forwards - Everitt is taller then both of them.
We already have to many KPP defenders.(well at least in comparison to our forward stocks)
Our lack of forward KPP's is an embarrassment.

The Coon Dog
10-01-2008, 06:07 PM
You make some very interesting points there B2B.

Just thinking through what you have said seems to make some sort of sense.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-01-2008, 06:22 PM
You make some very interesting points there B2B.

Just thinking through what you have said seems to make some sort of sense.

Agreed.

I think there's no doubt that the club will eventually swing Everitt forward in the hope that he can nail down CHF, but I suppose the biggest question of all is when? I would argue '08 would be too early and that he probably needs another year of learning the game, playing off half back & a bit on the wing. '09 would seem sensible to start easing him into such a position, giving him periods of time up forward.

However - giving him a quarter or two at the right time up forward this year wouldn't be silly, either. Along with the list that B2B has compiled, Everitt's also a very good mark so he certainly has all the 'traits' of a quality KPF. The thing that might keep him from playing forward is the fact that he's so versatile, which is why I think he'll play similiar to Chris Grant - where we need him. Most would probably - and understandably - rather him play up forward if he's good enough though, so who knows.

Rocket Science
10-01-2008, 06:22 PM
Concur. He's as dynamic as they come and also demonstrates those heady elements of creativity/confidence/elusiveness with the footy that many quality forwards possess. It's innate, and was evident from game one.

He's entirely capable of being used as a pinch hitter at both ends. That said, his early development and overall game might be better served with more time spent on the defensive side of the centre square over the next 12 months.

Regardless, he's gonna well and truly put to bed any lingering pangs of regret still harboured that we took Griffen instead of Franklin a couple of years back.

The Coon Dog
10-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Seems such along time ago people were calling for Scott Clayton's head when we drafted Everitt & not Sellar.

hujsh
10-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Ok, so he's not ready just yet to take the reins full-time. But i propose we throw him there for at least a quarter a game all year. He's so perfect for the future of the forward line its disgusting nobody thinks about it.:)

He's taller then Fevola, Tarrant, Pavlich, Lucas, Lloyd
He's a fantastic kick - specially for goal
He reads the play very well - which is vital for a forward to run in the right direction
He's young enough to learn all the ropes
He's dam quick for a player his height, and will be able to get away from defenders.
He's going to fill out nicely, and will weigh in the 93-99kg mark - Perfect.
We have only Tiller and Grant as up and coming forwards - Everitt is taller then both of them.
We already have to many KPP defenders.(well at least in comparison to our forward stocks)
Our lack of forward KPP's is an embarrassment.

I'm not sure about that. I wouldn't say i have the best idea but he did miss a few of his shots this year

LostDoggy
10-01-2008, 08:12 PM
I'm not sure about that. I wouldn't say i have the best idea but he did miss a few of his shots this year

from what i remember he is a better kick on the run than set

LostDoggy
10-01-2008, 08:21 PM
He kicked a couple of goals on the run, but they were mungrels.

The Coon Dog
10-01-2008, 09:09 PM

Thanks for your negative contribution once more. Do any of our players do anything right? Just once it would be nice if you said something positive, just once!

LostDoggy
10-01-2008, 09:16 PM

Im finding it hard to see how mungrel punts go in for goal. Was he aiming for the points???

LostDoggy
10-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Im finding it hard to see how mungrel punts go in for goal. Was he aiming for the points???

Sticks Kernahan?

hujsh
10-01-2008, 09:31 PM

Maybe they just span wierd

hujsh
10-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks for your negative contribution once more. Do any of our players do anything right? Just once it would be nice if you said something positive, just once!

Do you think he is a good kick for goal? He is definitely a good field kick

LostDoggy
10-01-2008, 09:34 PM

I have been speaking positively about Malcolm Lynch and Cameron Wight. I dont get all excited because i see a pick of Everitt on big footy and think he is the next Carey.
I think my comments are warranted

The Coon Dog
10-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Do you think he is a good kick for goal? He is definitely a good field kick

Yeah, I do.

LostDoggy
10-01-2008, 10:20 PM
I have been speaking positively about Malcolm Lynch and Cameron Wight. I dont get all excited because i see a pick of Everitt on big footy and think he is the next Carey.

:confused:Nobody mentioned a picture of Everitt at all or Wayne Carey - nobody is making any such comparison except yourself.

When we drafted him i was already thinking CHF/FF in the making. Alas he has been played as a defender/flanker. Fair enough, its a good role to learn the game and he isn't big enough yet to play CHF. But in my opinion he's the perfect candidate for the forward line and I've listed my reasons why. (I also think he's a better prospect then Tiller, Skipper or Williams who have all been touted for forward line roles)

GVGjr
10-01-2008, 10:25 PM

But that isn't being said here so how about just commenting on what the people on WOOF are actually saying. Leave BF for BF.
Despite the negativity you are putting on him he had an excellent first up season and probably exceeded the expectations of most. The challenge now is how does he overcome the second year blues that on occasions brings promising players back to the field a bit.

LostDoggy
10-01-2008, 10:41 PM
But that isn't being said here so how about just commenting on what the people on WOOF are actually saying. Leave BF for BF.
Despite the negativity you are putting on him he had an excellent first up season and probably exceeded the expectations of most. The challenge now is how does he overcome the second year blues that on occasions brings promising players back to the field a bit.

Turn it up! I said a couple of running goals he kicked were mungrels. I think he will be a very good player. I was just disagreeing about his 'set shot vs running shot'. The kid is a lovely kick either way. Lets not get to precious in this forum

GVGjr
10-01-2008, 10:56 PM
Turn it up! I said a couple of running goals he kicked were mungrels. I think he will be a very good player. I was just disagreeing about his 'set shot vs running shot'. The kid is a lovely kick either way. Lets not get to precious in this forum

I think you need to turn it up. It's as simple as don't quote BF as the reason for your frustration on comments about Everitt.

Regarding the highlighted, no one is being precious so get back to the subject at hand or stay away. If you want to discuss the direction or the rules of the board then send me a message.

Sockeye Salmon
11-01-2008, 10:41 AM

The goals on the run I saw him kick were from 55m and went through half post high. Didn't look like mongrels to me.

Dry Rot
11-01-2008, 11:06 AM
If McDougall came good this season (giant if) then Harris, Williams, McDougall, Everitt, Morris and Hargrave can't all play in the backline. Everitt looks most likely out of that lot to go forward.

bulldogtragic
11-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Seems such along time ago people were calling for Scott Clayton's head when we drafted Everitt & not Sellar.
Funny about that hey TCD.....

hujsh
11-01-2008, 02:57 PM

I never really understood why we drafted this defender named Everitt but if he turns out to be a good forward it won't mater what Sellar does.

Cyberdoggie
11-01-2008, 03:38 PM
We've had one of the worst defences for god knows how many years,
i don't see the logic of sending every good defender we have up forward.

In my mind we fell when we really fell apart this year it was because we lost our 3 prolific running defenders/playmakers (gilbee, mcmahon and griffen)

without them we were like chickens with our heads cut off.

Everitt did an admirable job back there considering his lack of experience, and was a standout.

I don't see everitt as a big pack marker, his big skills are his ability to run and carry, and his precise kicking skills (gee sounds like gilbee!!!) I think putting him up forward would stifle his real strengths.

Sure maybe one day if he shows some ability to take a grab and builds up a lot more strength he may be an option there but for now his ideal spot is the back flank.

hujsh
11-01-2008, 03:46 PM
We've had one of the worst defences for god knows how many years,
i don't see the logic of sending every good defender we have up forward.

In my mind we fell when we really fell apart this year it was because we lost our 3 prolific running defenders/playmakers (gilbee, mcmahon and griffen)

without them we were like chickens with our heads cut off.

Everitt did an admirable job back there considering his lack of experience, and was a standout.

I don't see everitt as a big pack marker, his big skills are his ability to run and carry, and his precise kicking skills (gee sounds like gilbee!!!) I think putting him up forward would stifle his real strengths.

Sure maybe one day if he shows some ability to take a grab and builds up a lot more strength he may be an option there but for now his ideal spot is the back flank.

That is actually a very good point. I've not seen him take a contested mark yet and if he can't do that then he might as well be Johnno 2

The Bulldogs Bite
11-01-2008, 04:48 PM
I've seen Everitt take two fantastic contested pack marks, I can't quite remember which games. One may have been in his first, the Port Adelaide one? Anyhow, I certainly recall him taking two strong grabs. His hands - IMO - are sticky, and he's got a nice leap too.

always right
11-01-2008, 04:57 PM
The goals on the run I saw him kick were from 55m and went through half post high. Didn't look like mongrels to me.

I must have been out having a cup of tea at the time:rolleyes:

Seriously though, I have no problem with him going forward occasionally but his body isn't ready to play key forward consistently just yet. It's one thing to come from the back and the side of packs to go for your grabs...it's another thing to have big defenders colliding with you every time you contest a mark from in front.

Sockeye Salmon
11-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Seriously though, I have no problem with him going forward occasionally but his body isn't ready to play key forward consistently just yet. It's one thing to come from the back and the side of packs to go for your grabs...it's another thing to have big defenders colliding with you every time you contest a mark from in front.

Hammer. Nail. Head.

Mofra
11-01-2008, 07:52 PM
I've seen Everitt take two fantastic contested pack marks, I can't quite remember which games. One may have been in his first, the Port Adelaide one? Anyhow, I certainly recall him taking two strong grabs. His hands - IMO - are sticky, and he's got a nice leap too.

They were marks as a backman though, where he is being dragged to the play. Sometimes a great defender can become a marking forward (ie Gehrig), although mostly even the best defensive marks in the league will look a little lost at FF (ie Lake).

Everitt has stated he wants to be a CHB. Grant doesn't want to be "a" forward, he wants to be "the" forward for us. I'm happy enough to let both scenarios play out.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-01-2008, 08:22 PM
They were marks as a backman though, where he is being dragged to the play. Sometimes a great defender can become a marking forward (ie Gehrig), although mostly even the best defensive marks in the league will look a little lost at FF (ie Lake).

I know what you're saying, and I agree, but it at least proves that he can take a strong grab in the air. Most of the guys we've got struggle to do even that, and because he's such an adaptable/versatile player, if he worked on it he may even be able to hold down a key forward post.

Everitt has stated he wants to be a CHB. Grant doesn't want to be "a" forward, he wants to be "the" forward for us. I'm happy enough to let both scenarios play out.

I suppose it'll be a situation that will resolve itself in time. Everitt, Williams & Grant are the three young KPPs. Harris will be our FB for a few years to come, whilst one of Everitt/Williams will become the CHB. I guess the question then becomes do you play the other (Williams or Everitt, depending who doesn't become the 'first' preferred CHB) as the third tall down back? Thus, creating a Scarlett/Harley/Egan type of defence, or do we push one of them up the field to CHF and leave Hargrave to play the third defensive tall?

So, hypothetically in years to come:

FB: Harris
BP: Williams
CHB: Everitt
-------
FF: Grant

or

BP: Hargrave
-------
CHF: Williams

At least in a few years time we should hopefully have a little bit of flexibility with our KPP's, something we've really lacked, particularly in quality.

LostDoggy
11-01-2008, 10:21 PM
I dont think that there is space in our backline for Mcdougall, if he is going to get a game I think it has to be in the forward line.

hujsh
11-01-2008, 11:04 PM
I dont think that there is space in our backline for Mcdougall, if he is going to get a game I think it has to be in the forward line.

That is the reason we got him so bad luck if he wants to be a backman

bornadog
12-01-2008, 12:44 AM
Agreed.

I think there's no doubt that the club will eventually swing Everitt forward in the hope that he can nail down CHF, but I suppose the biggest question of all is when? .

When he puts on some more muscle, he may be able to take on CHF. I believe that is the longer term plan, but for now he is still 18 going on to 19.

bornadog
12-01-2008, 12:46 AM
That is the reason we got him so bad luck if he wants to be a backman

I believe he won't be playing forward as he finds it hard to focus, he is better in the back line when he has a man to chase and hold down.

LostDoggy
12-01-2008, 01:23 AM
Just on the low down, I'm looking further in to the future then this season with Everitt going forward. He isn't ready yet, i think we all understand that. I just propose we give him periods up their if there isn't a match up for him down back or the game requires a bit of switching up.

Mofra
12-01-2008, 10:53 AM
I guess the question then becomes do you play the other (Williams or Everitt, depending who doesn't become the 'first' preferred CHB) as the third tall down back? Thus, creating a Scarlett/Harley/Egan type of defence, or do we push one of them up the field to CHF and leave Hargrave to play the third defensive tall?

So, hypothetically in years to come:

BP: Williams
-------

or

BP: Hargrave
-------
CHF: Williams

At least in a few years time we should hopefully have a little bit of flexibility with our KPP's, something we've really lacked, particularly in quality.

Im still not convinved Williams will ever be able to play CHF - the tougest position on the ground, especially for someone without much AFL background. Then again, CHF isn't really a position these days with the zones & gameplans employed by most coaches.

Our backlien will be something like Lake FB, Williams & Everitt CHB/Tall defenders, Morris small defender, Gilbee on the no 6 forward (to give us rebound), Hargrave as the spare parts defender.

McDougall on the bench as the plan B simple because he can go forward if need be, may not be a 100% effective CHF but showed he is willing to play a role.

Going forward we will look like:
Minson as the stay at home forward, Johnson as the main inside 50 leading forward,
Grant slightly further out (09 & beyond), Welsh as the hard leader/bouble back into space forward for 08 at least & Murphy as the lead up assist marking forward.
That leaves an Aker or Harbrow as small forwards depending on match ups - Aker can change with the midfield, I rate Harbrow as our best defensive forward so he can negate the opposition quarterback player.

Then we have Hahn as a spare parts man depending on the flow of the game, with Skipper still to get back to full fitness providing another option.

Dogs 24/7
12-01-2008, 01:15 PM
I think he could handle a role as a tall forward flanker but not a key position. Everyone seems to be concerned that he will get crunched but that applies all over the ground as well. I suppose playing as a forward might increase that chance but I dont think it is done deal.
My preference is either a back flank or wing but I thing he is good enough and big enough to handle playing in the forward line as well.

LostDoggy
12-01-2008, 03:43 PM
I just going to repeat myself again.

Ok we get it, he's not ready to play like Jon Brown yet. I'm talking in the future when he's 90kg+

The Coon Dog
12-01-2008, 05:05 PM
I just going to repeat myself again.

Ok we get it, he's not ready to play like Jon Brown yet. I'm talking in the future when he's 90kg+

He'll get crunched if he tries to play like Jon Brown! :D

Dancin' Douggy
13-01-2008, 07:24 AM

I'm with you Sockeye

dog town
13-01-2008, 11:46 AM
You usually just get a gut feel for where a player is best suited and mine at the moment is that Everitt is more of a natural defender or winger. He may turn out to be that good that he can play anywhere but some guys just read the ball better from behind the ball or out on a wing. Not easy leading away from your own goal with a big bruising defender breathing down your neck. Until he shows actual signs of being a capable forward I am more inclined to factor him in as a future defender or winger.