PDA

View Full Version : Three things I've learned-Round 9 v Geelong

Twodogs
19-05-2017, 09:58 PM
Three things.

bulldogtragic
19-05-2017, 11:32 PM
1. Stupid decisions hurt. Adams HTB & Clokes torp...
2. We are in a very dangerous place this season now.
3. The kids will be ok.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-05-2017, 11:34 PM
1. We're actually not that good.
2. We're the only club that could gift Taylor 5 goals.
3. Our game plan of happy handball is crap.

comrade
19-05-2017, 11:36 PM

Some solid BF-esque melting.

Greystache
19-05-2017, 11:37 PM
1. Geelong could win the spoon and still beat us twice in a season. They plan their season around the 8 points they get against us.

2. The umpires desperately wanted to make sure we don't don't break a decade long streak. They were practically barracking Geelong home.

3. Our field kicking is almost as bad as our goal kicking. Which is hard to comprehend.

Greystache
19-05-2017, 11:40 PM
1. Stupid decisions hurt. Adams HTB & Clokes torp...
2. We are in a very dangerous place this season now.
3. The kids will be ok.

How was that play on? He went back on the mark and held the back for 5 seconds. Even in Geelong that was a disgrace.

bulldogtragic
19-05-2017, 11:42 PM
How was that play on? He went back on the mark and held the back for 5 seconds. Even in Geelong that was a disgrace.

How was Menzel's play on, not. How did Selwood get two dodgy frees in the last. How did we not get frees in the last. How was Bob paid holding the ball when he legally disposed of it. And so on.

Cheating I'd say, if I had an educated guess.

Mantis
19-05-2017, 11:45 PM
1/ Last year we were super even with solid contributions by all, we aren't getting that this year.

2/ The lack on intensity in the 2nd and 4th quarters was horrid.

3/ Lin Jong is easily in our best 22... One of the few in our team that's improved on 2016 output.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-05-2017, 11:45 PM
Some solid BF-esque melting.

We haven't looked good all year besides a quarter here and a quarter there.

Remi Moses
19-05-2017, 11:47 PM

Gee that's epic face book and bf

bornadog
19-05-2017, 11:49 PM
3/ Lin Jong is easily in our best 22... One of the few in our team that's improved on 2016 output.

He needs to put in 4 quarters. Only had 4 touches in the last, but agree overall he was good.

Remi Moses
20-05-2017, 12:15 AM
1. Can't play Cloke and jack in the one team
2. We are just to inconsistent, it's frustrating to say the least .
3. Last year we were even, but were carrying a few passengers this year

westbulldog
20-05-2017, 12:16 AM
We may end up 10th or 11th by Monday.
Dangerfield is very good (when no-one runs with him or through him), Selwood, like the Pygmy three-toed sloth,
is a highly protected species.
A poor umpiring decision which turns a game will one day see a result challenged in Court.

always right
20-05-2017, 12:24 AM
He needs to put in 4 quarters. Only had 4 touches in the last, but agree overall he was good.

He probably gets buggered from carrying some of his team mates. He was sensational tonight and has been a shining light all season. It could be said that Bont rarely plays four quarters.

always right
20-05-2017, 12:25 AM

That "crap" gameplan won us a premiership.

bornadog
20-05-2017, 12:29 AM
He probably gets buggered from carrying some of his team mates. He was sensational tonight and has been a shining light all season. It could be said that Bont rarely plays four quarters.

Whilst I agree with you, I would like to see him take another step and finish games strongly - Selwood and Danger are good examples.

The bulldog tragician
20-05-2017, 12:35 AM
1. I hate losing. How did we endure it so long?
2. Joel Selwood is a very unlovable footballer
3. There is one thing I'd like to learn, but haven't. Why do Geelong have such a hold over us?

always right
20-05-2017, 12:38 AM
3. There is one thing I'd like to learn, but haven't. Why do Geelong have such a hold over us?

No idea but after the bagging they've received in the press, they were always going to respond. They played like men possessed tonight and tackled like they've never tackled before. I hope we play them again this year but cause they won't perform like that again.

SquirrelGrip
20-05-2017, 01:22 AM
1. It's a long drive home from Geelong.
2. Joel Selwood is completely unlikeable.
3. We will beat them at a neutral ground.

ratsmac
20-05-2017, 09:05 AM
1. I thought I couldn't hate Geelong any more. I was so wrong.

2. Bevo is a brilliant coach but wasn't brilliant last night. Dangerfield was left alone to do as he pleased for far too long. One of Cordy and Roberts also should of been selected.

3. The crappy handball game isn't stacking up. We are now the hunted and teams all want to get our scalp. We need to adjust the kick to handball ratio when teams have shut down our space. Geelong simply hovered around our outlet players and tackled them as soon as they got the ball causing the turn over and because of our set up we had holes everywhere for Geelong to KICK through. Our game plan isn't crap it just needs a plan B. Opposition have adjusted but we haven't. Our gameplan also can't have any passengers either and we have a few atm.

DOG GOD
20-05-2017, 09:06 AM
1. Lose to the saints and we might not make the 8
2. Wallis is a very very good player (future captain)
3. Danger wood LOVES playing us.

lemmon
20-05-2017, 09:10 AM
1. We need to get back to some basics. Play a ruckman, send someone to their best player when he's killing us and play enough tall backs to cover their tall forwards. Lin Jong rucking when we can't win a clearance in the second quarter is pure stupidity.

2. Bonti is human. He was poor tonight, seemed to spend very little time around the ball.

3. Bailey Dale has more about him than I thought. One of our best, his composure was immense.

Mantis
20-05-2017, 09:21 AM
Whilst I agree with you, I would like to see him take another step and finish games strongly - Selwood and Danger are good examples.

The 2 players mentioned are in the competitions best 10-15 players whereas Lin is (was) borderline best 22.. To think he will have a similar impact as them is unreasonable... and when we got on top both were very quiet.

SlimPickens
20-05-2017, 09:23 AM
1. My respect for Mitch Wallis has gone through the roof.

2. We need Tom Boyd to play 30/70 forward ruck. Get Rough or TC in please.

3. We won a flag before our time, still think there is a truckload of improvement in this list. Hope it bears more fruit.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-05-2017, 11:57 AM
That "crap" gameplan won us a premiership.

Our handball game last year was far different to what we're doing now.

always right
20-05-2017, 12:15 PM
Our handball game last year was far different to what we're doing now.

Please explain.

jeemak
20-05-2017, 12:21 PM
Please explain.

Teams have adjusted to it, plus we're being scrutinised for throwing the ball more than we were last year.

To say it's gotten worse is probably off the mark, but we can't rely on it to the extent we did.

bulldogtragic
20-05-2017, 12:24 PM
1. My respect for Mitch Wallis has gone through the roof.

2. We need Tom Boyd to play 30/70 forward ruck. Get Rough or TC in please.

3. We won a flag before our time, still think there is a truckload of improvement in this list. Hope it bears more fruit.

Absolutely, big marks and goals forward. He looked our most dangerous tall forward, despite rucking most of the game. And then when he was rested using Jong, who was having a ripping game, which then nullified his impact at those contests hurt his burst pace ability to hit the contest and go. I know Bevo doesn't like Campbell at the moment for being one dimensional, but he's robing Peter to pay Paul with this stuff.

bornadog
20-05-2017, 12:46 PM
The 2 players mentioned are in the competitions best 10-15 players whereas Lin is (was) borderline best 22.. To think he will have a similar impact as them is unreasonable... and when we got on top both were very quiet.

Maybe you didn't read my post - Quote " I would like to see him take another step"

As I also said in another post, he is progressing along and improving every game.

always right
20-05-2017, 12:54 PM
Teams have adjusted to it, plus we're being scrutinised for throwing the ball more than we were last year.

To say it's gotten worse is probably off the mark, but we can't rely on it to the extent we did.

I don't disagree but Bulldogs Bite stated that "Our handball game is far different". What are we doing differently?

always right
20-05-2017, 02:02 PM
1. Jong is the only one of our players over 22 years of age who has shown significant improvement year on year.
2. Bailey Dale has the makings of a very good AFL footballer and will play many more games this season.
3. JJ continues to provide fantastic run and carry but has a serious case of the yips when kicking for goal on the run and it deflates the team. I can't recall when he last kicked one.

soupman
20-05-2017, 02:18 PM
3. JJ continues to provide fantastic run and carry but has a serious case of the yips when kicking for goal on the run and it deflates the team. I can't recall when he last kicked one.
Add Suckling to this. They are the two we look to the most running towards the 50 and yet they have both kicked almost purely points this season. Not good enough.

ratsmac
20-05-2017, 02:52 PM
I don't disagree but Bulldogs Bite stated that "Our handball game is far different". What are we doing differently?

Our handball game isn't different it's the opposition having plans to combat it. And it's working atm.

chef
20-05-2017, 03:59 PM
1. Chris Scott must wonder what all the fuss is about with Bevo. Owns him

2. We are pretty comfortable with where we are and what we have done. Would have thought the dumpings this week would have put the fear of god into the group. But we just keep doing what we are doing and not playing 4 quarters.

3. We have a few players playing for their careers.

chef
20-05-2017, 04:00 PM
Our handball game isn't different it's the opposition having plans to combat it. And it's working atm.

Plus the umpire pressure making sure we 'connect' with proper hand passes.

comrade
20-05-2017, 04:19 PM
I wish we could play the Cats handball game, which doesn't actually require you to get a fist to the ball.

always right
20-05-2017, 04:30 PM
I wish we could play the Cats handball game, which doesn't actually require you to get a fist to the ball.

Nah....we're the only team that throws.

The bulldog tragician
20-05-2017, 06:13 PM
Thought many of the Cats' "tackles" were just one person driving someone onto the ground ( could have been paid differently as in the back) and then others piling on...

Max469
20-05-2017, 07:44 PM
Nah....we're the only team that throws.

Apparently we are. My boss told me I was burying my head in the sand if I thought we didn't do it and other teams did.

Told him I was not an Ostrich but other teams have taken over from us.

After last night, Geelong have become masters of it as have Richmond.

He barracks for the Hawks.

China Dog
20-05-2017, 10:27 PM
1. We have too many passengers & lost the will to win at all costs
2. Contested ball no longer our strength, no longer the hunter, seem content to let opposition win the hard ball
3. Our stars can't cope with the added attention, the Bont can't dominate like he did

always right
20-05-2017, 10:30 PM
1. We have too many passengers & lost the will to win at all costs
2. Contested ball no longer our strength, no longer the hunter, seem content to let opposition win the hard ball
3. Our stars can't cope with the added attention, the Bont can't dominate like he did
Reckon the Bont might find a way.....even at the ripe old age of 21 (just).

comrade
20-05-2017, 10:33 PM
Reckon the Bont might find a way.....even at the ripe old age of 21 (just).

He needs to step up or the young kids will take his spot :D

lemmon
20-05-2017, 10:36 PM
Only watching on TV but it seemed like Bont spent the majority of the game forward, even when it was up for grabs. Anyone else notice where he seemed to be playing?

bornadog
21-05-2017, 12:00 AM
Only watching on TV but it seemed like Bont spent the majority of the game forward, even when it was up for grabs. Anyone else notice where he seemed to be playing?

It seemed like he was playing forward for a large percentage of the game. Didn't see him in the middle as much as I would have liked.

westdog54
23-05-2017, 10:33 AM
1. I had no idea just how much of a dirty cheat Joel Selwood was. His 'ankle-tap' on Tory Dickson had me seething.
2. No team gets 'looked after' better at home than Geelong. I'm still befuddled by the HTB paid against Bob. Which, funnily enough, the got a goal out of.
3. Bailey and Bailey look more like league footballers with every game.

1eyedog
23-05-2017, 10:36 AM
1. I had no idea just how much of a dirty cheat Joel Selwood was. His 'ankle-tap' on Tory Dickson had me seething.
2. No team gets 'looked after' better at home than Geelong. I'm still befuddled by the HTB paid against Bob. Which, funnily enough, the got a goal out of.
3. Bailey and Bailey look more like league footballers with every game.

I think Bailey Williams will be a good player. I don't think Dale or Webb are progressing as we'd like.

always right
23-05-2017, 10:45 AM
I think Bailey Williams will be a good player. I don't think Dale or Webb are progressing as we'd like.
What would you like to see from Dale that you didn't see on Friday?

EasternWest
23-05-2017, 11:02 AM

I agree Bailey Williams was quite good and clearly will be a player. I think Webb will be ok too. You're a bit harsh on Dale, I thought he did really well on Friday.

1eyedog
23-05-2017, 11:07 AM
What would you like to see from Dale that you didn't see on Friday?

I probably shouldn't have said 'progressing how we'd like' because they are both so young but neither of them are ready yet.

I thought he was better against Geelong than West Coast but I think he's an almost player. Age is on his side though. He needs further development in the gym, he's very slight which affects his ability around the ball and one on one in the air. He needs to work on his fitness too he's run out of steam late on both occasions and has been a non-factor in the last quarter in both games he's played. If he's a third leading tall he needs to work on his leading patterns because he hasn't been nailed on a lead once, much of this has to do with the opposition closing up space, as well as how we move the ball forward as well as his fitness. Dicko does this well though.

He's a nice kick and has showed good vision with his hands in congestion at times so there are positives but I just think he needs further development. The skills are certainly there and additional preseasons may well clean up the other issues.

1eyedog
23-05-2017, 11:14 AM
I agree Bailey Williams was quite good and clearly will be a player. I think Webb will be ok too. You're a bit harsh on Dale, I thought he did really well on Friday.

He was just ok. I can't understand how he's in the team and McLean is in the magoos. McLean is so far ahead of him imo.

Mantis
23-05-2017, 11:25 AM
He was just ok. I can't understand how he's in the team and McLean is in the magoos. McLean is so far ahead of him imo.

Are you happy with the fact that McLean in his last 2 games has had just the 4 kicks in each game?

I'm certainly not, and I think the MC agrees.

Sedat
23-05-2017, 11:42 AM
Williams has elite disposal and generally makes good decisions (crappy right foot banana turnover in the last qtr notwithstanding, which was as costly as anything Clokey did but nobody mentioned it) but I worry about his lack of pace. He looks really slow for a running defender.

Dale has a skillset that is more complete than these two when you factor in his ability to break lines - doesn't make him a better player but the potential ceiling is higher IMO.

bornadog
23-05-2017, 11:50 AM
Williams has elite disposal and generally makes good decisions (crappy right foot banana turnover in the last qtr notwithstanding, which was as costly as anything Clokey did but nobody mentioned it) but I worry about his lack of pace. He looks really slow for a running defender.

Dale has a skillset that is more complete than these two when you factor in his ability to break lines - doesn't make him a better player but the potential ceiling is higher IMO.

Although Williams looks a little slow, I like the way he doesn't panic and he seems to have all the time in the world. He rarely gets caught HTB.

Webb needs to find more of the ball in the mid field.

1eyedog
23-05-2017, 11:53 AM
Are you happy with the fact that McLean in his last 2 games has had just the 4 kicks in each game?

I'm certainly not, and I think the MC agrees.

VFL? 25 touches last week.

His last few AFL games were ok 4 kicks and 16 handballs and kicked a goal and 22 touches in the other game so I'm not sure what you're talking about? No idea why he was dropped in the first place.

He also has bitcoins in the bank as far as I'm concerned. If you're going to make an example of someone for poor form there's far worse than McLean haven't been dropped over the past 6 weeks. Boyd, Suckling, Hunter, Smith...

He's far superior to Dale and Webb in terms of pressure, tackling, touches and shots on goal and should be in the team. I expect him to come in after a strong showing in the VFL against the Cats.

Mantis
23-05-2017, 12:03 PM
VFL?

His last few AFL games were ok 4 kicks and 16 handballs and kicked a goal and 22 touches in the other game. No idea why he was dropped in the first place.

He also has bitcoins in the bank as far as I'm concerned. If you're going to make an example of someone for poor form there's far worse than McLean haven't been dropped over the past 6 weeks. Boyd, Suckling, Hunter, Smith...

In his last 2 games in the AFL team he has had 4-14 & 4-16... For a player who can run and kick that ratio of kicks to handballs is way off the mark.

Agree that he wasn't the only playing struggling, but it's done now and hopefully when he returns he will be a more rounded player.

westdog54
23-05-2017, 12:08 PM

While Dale doesn't get a lot of the ball, there's a level of composure about him that's rare among players his age.

He's got plenty of work to do but I like what I see.

1eyedog
23-05-2017, 12:15 PM
In his last 2 games in the AFL team he has had 4-14 & 4-16... For a player who can run and kick that ratio of kicks to handballs is way off the mark.

Agree that he wasn't the only playing struggling, but it's done now and hopefully when he returns he will be a more rounded player.

He's kicked a goal in both of those games. Dale needs to start hitting the scoreboard otherwise he needs to get more involved around the ball or increase his defensive pressure. Toby had massive games against North and Brisbane leading up to his 18 and 20 possession games plus, those two games you've referenced indicate how and where he got the ball, CPs are up meaning he was playing more midfield time rather than outside / forward.

Anyway, I hope he'll get a call up this week.

Mofra
23-05-2017, 12:26 PM
He's kicked a goal in both of those games. Dale needs to start hitting the scoreboard otherwise he needs to get more involved around the ball or increase his defensive pressure. Toby had massive games against North and Brisbane leading up to his 18 and 20 possession games plus, those two games you've referenced indicate how and where he got the ball, CPs are up meaning he was playing more midfield time rather than outside / forward.

Anyway, I hope he'll get a call up this week.
17 tackles in the VFL last week - he is banging the door off the hinges to get back in. He has to be elevated this week.

always right
23-05-2017, 12:36 PM
Agree that McLean should come in....but not for Dale. For the life of me I can't work out why you'd drop someone who is identified as a future senior player and is actually starting to show his attributes.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-05-2017, 12:45 PM
I'd bring in McLean for Hunter.

The latter has escaped criticism, but he's been horrible this year.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-05-2017, 01:02 PM

His first 3 weeks were fantastic. Since then.....horrible yes

bornadog
23-05-2017, 01:36 PM

I was shot down in flames a few weeks ago for calling his second half disgraceful for picking up only a few disposals. As for McLean, he has not been doing what the coach wants and was sent back to the VFL to work on it.

Other than the first 10 minutes of the first quarter, Clay was useless last Friday. He should also be looked at.

G-Mo77
23-05-2017, 01:44 PM
I was shot down in flames a few weeks ago for calling his second half disgraceful for picking up only a few disposals. As for McLean, he has not been doing what the coach wants and was sent back to the VFL to work on it.

Other than the first 10 minutes of the first quarter, Clay was useful last Friday. He should also be looked at.

Unfortunately there is a long list of players to be looked at.

It's a fine line though. Do you just go cut, cut, cut and bring in inexperience or hold faith in personnel?

bornadog
23-05-2017, 01:46 PM

It's a fine line though. Do you just go cut, cut, cut and bring in inexperience or hold faith in personnel?

At least we have a pretty good list we can choose from.

1eyedog
23-05-2017, 02:57 PM

Agreed it will be an interesting week at the selection table. For me there's a fine line between going cut, cut, cut to set examples and bringing in inexperience against those small moments where experienced, best 22 players have an impact on the fate of the game. I'm not one to question the messiah but my feeling is that Libba should have ran with Danger in the first quarter and then Selwood in the last. It was evident early that Danger was on.

Perfect game for him but he was dropped. People say Mitch comes in like for like but Mitch played nothing like how Libba should have played had he played.

boydogs
24-05-2017, 01:06 AM
The VFL side were horrible. If you give reward for effort for Webb, Williams, Dale etc. doing well down there, you also have to keep them back when they don't step up

Roughead the only one with an excuse returning from injury, maybe he comes in for Cloke and Stringer if fit for Webb

jeemak
24-05-2017, 09:46 AM
His first 3 weeks were fantastic. Since then.....horrible yes

He was pretty close to our best versus Richmond as well.

Nuggety Back Pocket
24-05-2017, 09:00 PM
Agree that McLean should come in....but not for Dale. For the life of me I can't work out why you'd drop someone who is identified as a future senior player and is actually starting to show his attributes.

McLean as a Premiership player has a touch of class and like all young players will have down times. Dale Williams and Webb all lack confidence through lack of senior games highlighted by continuing with highly talented and great servants now in the 30 plus age group such as Murphy Morris MBoyd and Picken. You would expect that at least Morris and Matthew Boyd will not be with us beyond this year which should see the above mentioned younger players step up.A bigger concern has been the loss in form of Libba and the loss of good and experienced players for extended periods such as Roughy Dickson Jake and Crameri. The recruitment of Suckling and Cloke is still problematic as to their on going value.

kruder
25-05-2017, 02:01 PM

He was really dangerous wing/forward early yet he is now playing of half back? Putting him back into his preferred role would help.