PDA

View Full Version : Hawthorn 2009 > Western Bulldogs 2017

bulldogtragic
20-05-2017, 02:38 PM
I'm not saying we are there yet, but the parallels exist with a talented list that got a premiership ahead of expectations, as Dalrymple said this week.

If for some reason we can't turn it around, much like Hawthorn in 2009, it brings up some interesting discussions about whether we continue on with our recruiting. Or do we look at what Hawthorn did.

So what did Hawthorn do? They traded in elite and top end talent. They traded out a fan favourite in Mark Williams (a previous leading goal kicker, and also Kennedy & McGlynn who wanted more opportunity) and their first, second and third rounder to bring in Shaun Burgoyne & Josh Gibson. Bringing in a class ball user into the midfield to get it to their tall forwards and a good second tall defender/intercept player.

They went to the draft later on and picked up Duryea & Stratton, a few misses and upgraded rookies such as Suckling.

Now we have a recruiter who can pick gems late in the draft, and will have upgrades in Smith & Lynch at a minimum. So we can make our minimum 3 draft selections. Also we have a longer game with Rhylee West in particular, Josh Kellett, Oliver Liberatore and any next generation players, such as Buuks, if they're worth/bid on way above our natural picks and we can get them anyway.

If for example we ended up with something around 10, 28 & 40 (via North) that's identical to what Hawthorn had in 2009 which they traded all three. So the questions come up about parallels and seeing what Hawthorn did to turn an early flag into a dynasty, and whether the age and talent profile of our kids is sufficient that do not need more and more kids to develop or go out aggressively in the trade period with our picks on the table and prepared to use our cap on good trades or free agents.

Looking at what Hawthorn did, and the similarity in the youth on our lists after a flag and slow next year, there's a good argument to identify two key needs (like they did) and go hard at filling them with talented & experienced players through trade & free agency. Probably Moreso when Dalrymple says the draft doesn't look to bat deep into the first round (just like the 2009 draft). With so many paralleling aspects, I wonder if we will look at what they did and how they did it, because that trade period really set them up for their dynasty.

comrade
20-05-2017, 02:47 PM
The diluting of the talent pool with expansion needs to be taken in to account. The competition was ripe for a team to top up via trading/FA which Hawthorn did spectacularly well.

I think we clearly have enough depth to pin point some needs and use our first rounder to round out the holes in the squad rather than continue to stock pile kids taken with later picks. A key back, an elite skilled midfielder and a highly productive, converting forward would all be on my wishlist.

bulldogtragic
20-05-2017, 02:55 PM
The diluting of the talent pool with expansion needs to be taken in to account. The competition was ripe for a team to top up via trading/FA which Hawthorn did spectacularly well.

I think we clearly have enough depth to pin point some needs and use our first rounder to round out the holes in the squad rather than continue to stock pile kids taken with later picks. A key back, an elite skilled midfielder and a highly productive, converting forward would all be on my wishlist.

Sorry, trade our first rounder to fill the gaps?

boydogs
20-05-2017, 02:59 PM
I think this is an end of season discussion BT

Too much to play out with player and team performance between now and the next list management period

We need to be thinking about tactical adjustments for this season not strategic list management changes

bulldogtragic
20-05-2017, 03:13 PM
I think this is an end of season discussion BT

Too much to play out with player and team performance between now and the next list management period

We need to be thinking about tactical adjustments for this season not strategic list management changes

For the coaches sure, no doubt. But for Dal & JMac this is a contingency they need to and will be running through, as they do. Obviously plan A is keep winning and get pick 18 again. What's plan B? What's plan C?

When you listen to recruiters and list managers talk about their work during the year, they're constantly assessing all the different scenarios they might face. In the scenario that injuries in inconsistency hold us back, then we will be working on plans for that. Dal has said the first round isn't deep, but does it get to pick 10? Does JMac want to increase the age/talent profile to fill gaps through trade and free agency? Do Dal & JMac want more kids in the VFL while some may retire?

This is an exercise and thinking through a contingency. If JMac says to Dal at what point do you think the first end drops off? And Dal says pick 6, for example. If we have pick around pick 10, then JMac might say let's put it on the table and I'll contract player managers of players who are worth that kind of currency. That stuff needs to be done during the season, not the end. If our plans fail, like Hurley did, and Carlton have been into Marchbank all year, then we are out of that race. We need to know what we might be prepared to trade (or not depending on Dal's view of around pick 10) and who we would want for it and get going as player managers are being inundated on clients like Fyfe, Kelly, Martin, Schache etc.

Then looking at the Hawthorn parallel as an example of what a club did to turn one premiership into 4.

GVGjr
20-05-2017, 07:08 PM
I like the fact that BT is forward thinking and is working up contingency options. I'm not sure I agree with the comparison with the Hawks though because I still strongly believe we can change the course of this season and force our way into a competitive position.
We will probably know within a month.

We made some mistakes with our list at the end of last season and while Dalrymple and the team did as well as they could on draft night we still have some work to do to get the list right.

I think the big test for us at the end of the season is to see if we are regarded as a club on the rise and one that players from other sides want to be a part of or if we have to splash the cash to get them interested. I'm not sure last years flag has convinced the playing community yet so it's vital we don't just fall off this year.

I think we should keep drafting players with early picks but we certainly should go hard at the right type of free agency players.
Given the way clubs let older quality players go for next to nothing last year we might also be able to use that option as well.

BT made reference to Marchbank and I think he would have been a great addition for us. There will be options like that this year as well so I hope J-Mac is well advanced with his discussions with all the player managers.

bulldogtragic
20-05-2017, 07:33 PM
Thanks G. Listening to Dal, the one take away message is that he rates the really pointy end of the draft, but that it falls away sooner than recent drafts. That for me is the one factor that means the club needs to be exploring all avenues. Be it:

- players maybe wanting out who might get us traded up the order a smidge to a player Dal wants,
- trading down the order for double second round picks like we did two years ago, or
- if we want mature good player/s, then trading out our first and/or second rounders.

There's top end kids already being thrown such as around Kelly (pick 2), Schache (pick 2) etc. And obviously free agency options for 'need' like Hansen, McKenzie & Trengrove for tall defenders. The other take home message from Dal was that we still have a good amount of salary cap left, and then the CBA rise too. With losing older players, perhaps 2 or 3 of them, I think we could use mature options much like Hawthorn did in 2009 with Burgoyne & Gibson, the same two types we need (elite kid and KPD). If we agreed our two needs are an elite ball user and KPD, and put (say) 10 up for Kelly and grabbed KPD through free agency we would've done the same thing. That still leaves a second & third rounder and anything we can get for fringe players like Campbell.

The more I think through this scenario, the more I think this is the year to go and get the mature guns/good players. Hypothetically, say West & Khamis are taken, that could take up a big chunk of draft points in 2018. If Ollie Libba & Josh Kellett make the grade for the 2019 draft, and we want them, then again, we might be using up points. So trade wise, we may not have a lot of tradable draft picks and would have to rely upon free agency if we want to top up each year. So perhaps this is the year, list wise, to trade for mature talent and balance retirements and also if Dal is saying he's not overly thrilled with picks passed a certain point, then perhaps the stars are aligning to point us towards trading assertively this year.

ratsmac
20-05-2017, 11:08 PM
I hope we have more to give this season and we don't end up comparing to the 2009 hawks ;). Although, however this season pans out I would like to see us target some established players from other clubs for sure. We have plenty to work with on our list right now in the way of young developering talent so the timing seems right to go for some mature players.

I would like to see us throw our hat in the ring for Martin. The way Richmond continue to rip their own hearts out, a premiership carrot might just be the right thing to lure him for less money than he might be offered elsewhere. He seems to have pulled his head in of late so he might just pass the no dickhead policy.

Kelly would be nice as well but surely he wouldn't knock back the reported 9 mill from North. So he'd be unlikely at best to go anywhere else but North.

Those 2 are dream targets that the dogs rarely are able to pull off so I wouldn't be holding my breath on that front. We are more likely to go with the moneyball style and find the budget players that will fill the gaps where we need the most. It's probably the wiser option anyway.

I would be happy to trade away draft picks for the right player for sure.

Remi Moses
20-05-2017, 11:35 PM
Hawthorn had a couple of holes after 2008 .
Croad's injury and Crawford retiring hurt them that year.
This discussion is a little premature

bornadog
20-05-2017, 11:53 PM
I hope we have more to give this season and we don't end up comparing to the 2009 hawks ;). Although, however this season pans out I would like to see us target some established players from other clubs for sure. We have plenty to work with on our list right now in the way of young developering talent so the timing seems right to go for some mature players.

I would like to see us throw our hat in the ring for Martin. The way Richmond continue to rip their own hearts out, a premiership carrot might just be the right thing to lure him for less money than he might be offered elsewhere. He seems to have pulled his head in of late so he might just pass the no dickhead policy.

Kelly would be nice as well but surely he wouldn't knock back the reported 9 mill from North. So he'd be unlikely at best to go anywhere else but North.

Those 2 are dream targets that the dogs rarely are able to pull off so I wouldn't be holding my breath on that front. We are more likely to go with the moneyball style and find the budget players that will fill the gaps where we need the most. It's probably the wiser option anyway.

I would be happy to trade away draft picks for the right player for sure.

I would love Kelly, he would compliment our midfield. Dusty would be awesome, but I am not sure about his character and the people he hangs around with.

boydogs
21-05-2017, 11:47 AM
For the coaches sure, no doubt. But for Dal & JMac this is a contingency they need to and will be running through, as they do. Obviously plan A is keep winning and get pick 18 again. What's plan B? What's plan C?

Yep, too early for them to be ruling out following the kids that are likely to go top 10

bulldogsthru&thru
21-05-2017, 12:12 PM
Steven May please. Would love to get Haynes too. But May hasn't signed yet so I hope we're into him

ratsmac
21-05-2017, 03:08 PM
Steven May please. Would love to get Haynes too. But May hasn't signed yet so I hope we're into him

Is Haynes gettable? He is a star star bloke. I could see him slotting in just nicely in our backline. He is GWS most important player imo.

bulldogtragic
21-05-2017, 08:39 PM
Running through some comments, I've put my thinking cap on. This scenario plays out with around pick 12. I'm not saying we will go out in the first week of the finals, just running through a scenario, a contingency a what if.

If our Hrovat pick swap stays about the same, thats pick 40 coming to us.

So we'd have picks 12, 30 & 40 (then St Kilda's fifth rounder).

Picks 30 & 40 are worth 1,058 draft points, equal about pick 16 (1,067 points).

A few different sources have Callenden, a Brisbane Academy player going top 10 this year. So Brisbane could do with more draft points as Brisbane's next pick for Callenden will be pick 19 (948 points). We could target Pick 19 with Brisbane to gain at minimum 110 draft points. As a bonus we could throw in a Honeychurch or Campbell if they were interested, or if not, we could look for a very minor upgrade somewhere with these players to a different club to give them a bigger points return towards 200 points, to get us pick 19. A genuine win-win trade.

We would then have picks 12 & 19 to trade with for mature players, in addition to free agency options. With good salary cap available, that gives us good currency to target talent with. That's hoping we re-sign all those we want to, and don't have additional currency.

Obviously we want to keep winning, take pick 18 and go back to back. No dignity, no doubt. But if we can't get out of this rut for any reason, there's an avenue to really improve the list. We then use the draft to upgrade rookies and maybe just one or two later picks, and then rookie draft picks. If we got three mature players, that would offset three possible mature retirements. I wonder who JMac would target if we let him off the chain this year with a scenario like above?

Sedat
21-05-2017, 09:38 PM
Bevo publicly acknowledging that Libba has been in premiership hangover mode is telling. By doing so, he is effectively putting the entire playing group on notice - personally I think this is a positive thing to put this in the public domain. The reality is that we have chopped and changed our team because we have not yet reached our peak form with any level of consistency this season - aside from Libba, there are quite a few players who are really struggling with being an opposition target. Biggs is already out of the team, Hunter has had little or no positive impact on any games in the last month. Even Bont has been below par the last couple of weeks.

We will know an awful lot about season 2017 by the end of June. I still think we'll have a major say in season 2017 so the contingency plans can stay on ice for the time being. I am confident we will respond strongly this weekend and hit the bye 6-4 and with a relatively healthy list.

bulldogtragic
18-06-2017, 07:16 PM
If it was too early to draw comparisons, I think we can start to look at what Hawthorn did to bounce back. It's starting to feel a lot a like, but learning from Hawthorn did is helpful. As above, bringing in Gibson & Burgoyne at their peaks. I could live with something like that this trade season.

westdog54
18-06-2017, 07:19 PM
I was thinking about this comparison on the way in. They finished 9th in 2009.

Remi Moses
18-06-2017, 07:45 PM
If it was too early to draw comparisons, I think we can start to look at what Hawthorn did to bounce back. It's starting to feel a lot a like, but learning from Hawthorn did is helpful. As above, bringing in Gibson & Burgoyne at their peaks. I could live with something like that this trade season.

Thinking along the same lines . They got Burgoyne in to replace Crawford and Gibson in for Croad. Remember Hawthorn playing Robert Campbell at full back in 09

1eyedog
19-06-2017, 11:45 AM

Was Bevo there during this period?

Scraggers
19-06-2017, 12:24 PM
Was Bevo there during this period?

No ... Bevo was with Collingwood for the 2010 premiership. I think he joined Hawthorn in 2012

bulldogtragic
19-06-2017, 12:38 PM
No ... Bevo was with Collingwood for the 2010 premiership. I think he joined Hawthorn in 2012

Yep. He saw Collingwood not go back to back, and joined a club who pinched one early and wandered along until a finding that spark to go 4 GFs in a row.

The talent from Hawthorn 2009, Collingwood 2010 & Bulldogs 2016 didn't just evaporate. It's a matter of the talent wanting it, coaching being excellent, skills improving and in Hawthorn's case, recruiting/trading/free agenting really well.

Twodogs
19-06-2017, 01:42 PM
Watching Murph and the look on his face after the game last week was instructional. He just slumped forward in his seat and fiddled with his watch. He looked for all the world like a man who's happiness was in the hands of others who didn't seem to particularly care about it.

If I had a Medallian in my pocket I don't know how I'd look Murph or Wally or Jongy in the face.

Scraggers
19-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Yep. He saw Collingwood not go back to back, and joined a club who pinched one early and wandered along until a finding that spark to go 4 GFs in a row.

The talent from Hawthorn 2009, Collingwood 2010 & Bulldogs 2016 didn't just evaporate. It's a matter of the talent wanting it, coaching being excellent, skills improving and in Hawthorn's case, recruiting/trading/free agenting really well.

I actually think he had 2011 off ... not involved with any club. Not sure if he went back into private enterprise or what he did.

bulldogtragic
19-06-2017, 02:11 PM
I actually think he had 2011 off ... not involved with any club. Not sure if he went back into private enterprise or what he did.

Pretty sure you're right. The general point was that he's experienced in seeing teams have premiership success, and what they did to win. But also experience is seeing those teams lose 'it' or in the Hawthorn case, rediscover 'it'. Hopefully that experience will come in handy post season because we don't have 'it' right now.

Twodogs
19-06-2017, 02:51 PM

Went into the public service for a year to see if he wanted to use his professional qualification (I want to say he has an MBA but that sounds wrong as well) he was planning infrastructure I think

Remi Moses
19-06-2017, 03:05 PM
Let's just hope the club don't think this is some sort of gap year hangover thingy .
Hawthorn didn't treat it that way after 09, and addressed their defiencies .

jeemak
19-06-2017, 03:12 PM
Here's an article by Chris Judd saying he and Luke Hodge draw comparisons to Hawthorn's 2009.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/chris-judd-after-their-fairytale-reality-bites-the-bulldogs-20170619-gwtuv7.html

bulldogtragic
19-06-2017, 03:17 PM
Interesting to hear that from Hodge, as an example of what may (or may not) be happening.

bornadog
19-06-2017, 03:22 PM
Here's an article by Chris Judd saying he and Luke Hodge draw comparisons to Hawthorn's 2009.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/chris-judd-after-their-fairytale-reality-bites-the-bulldogs-20170619-gwtuv7.html

They must have had a beer together.

westdog54
19-06-2017, 04:17 PM
They must have had a beer together.

Worked together for Triple M over the weekend.

The bulldog tragician
19-06-2017, 04:36 PM
I don't follow/analyse what other teams do as much as others do and I'd be interested to hear views as to what differentiates teams for whom a flag becomes a springboard for success as opposed to One Hit Wonders. I'd really hoped with our very young list we'd build a dynasty a la Geelong - I thought, like them, finally winning a flag might actually be free of the psychological damage haunting us so long and be hungry for more. Collingwood in 2010 were as young as us, I think? What did they do wrong that the Hawks avoided?

bulldogtragic
19-06-2017, 04:42 PM
I don't follow/analyse what other teams do as much as others do and I'd be interested to hear views as to what differentiates teams for whom a flag becomes a springboard for success as opposed to One Hit Wonders. I'd really hoped with our very young list we'd build a dynasty a la Geelong - I thought, like them, finally winning a flag might actually be free of the psychological damage haunting us so long and be hungry for more. Collingwood in 2010 were as young as us, I think? What did they do wrong that the Hawks avoided?

Collingwood = Buckley. They were younger than our premiership team.

Hawthorn = traded very, very well from 2009-2015. (Burgoyne, Gibson, Hale, McEvoy, Gunston, Lake, Frawley etc, etc). Once their attitude and work ethic matched their talent and the core group of kids hit maturity together, it was outstanding. Them staying for less cash was important too (see JJ).

bulldogtragic
20-06-2017, 07:16 PM
Looking at the Hawathorn 2009 trade period, they were bloody busy about setting out what they wanted and in what order. A heap of trades to pull off their bounty of their priority was a tall defender and elite midfielder (Burgoyne & Gibson at their peak). To make it happen they moved on fan favourite and previous club leading goal kicker Williams, plus short of opportunity players Kennedy & McGlynn. The latter had good careers, Kennedy excellent still. But with their good picks included too, they were able to land both key priorities KPD & elite mid, and line up another tall forward for recruiting later on.

I think we are in the same boat as them, including priorities. Except we have the advantage of free agency to help us. Say like Williams, a fan favourite like JJ leaves for a big pay day, then we have the cap to very comfortably pursue Fyfe (or Martin). Then we have what we can get from the trade table for JJ, add it to our first rounder and look to a draft points trade with our second and third to get a highish second rounder. Presumably 3 picks inside 25 should put us in an excellent position to attack a genuinely good KPD and another need, maybe a pacey, dangerous small forward.

I think JJ stays, but if his form and lack of fight is a reflection on where his mind is, then he might be the one that brings in a big salary cap saving and a very good trade return. Retire Boyd & Bob, save big in Crammers contract, move Campbell, Honey & Hamilton to save some extra cash. Add in whatever extra the CBA gets us. Remembering Dalrymple has indicated we still have the Hurkey cash at hand, and ready to use.

Say $2,500,000 and possibly 3 picks inside 25, to (1) land Fyfe as a free agent, (2) land a gun KPD through trade and (3) land a dangerous small forward through trade. That certainly plays to the adage of 'trading for need'.

Hope our young talls come on, sooner rather than later, throw Webb back to the HBF with Williams, Roarke, Dale & Lynch to step up alongside Wood, Biggs & Suckling. In time use this KPD, Adams & Cordy as a third and rebounding defender with Roberts & Collins around too. Pair Bonts & Fyfe up as a paid or huge, and hugely talented mids. Then bring another dimension to our forward line. There's plenty of kids developing, so some mature talent helps the profile if they're decent.

Looking at history, I'd say that's what the Hawthorn list manager from 2009 would do this year with us.

bulldogtragic
07-07-2017, 11:15 PM
2009 Hawthorn traded picks (9) Burgoyne & (25 & 41) Gibson

2017 Bulldogs with around picks (9) & (27 & 38) - Virtually identical picks. I wonder how we are going to approach trade/draft season.

1eyedog
07-07-2017, 11:16 PM
2009 Hawthorn traded picks (9) Burgoyne & (25 & 41) Gibson

2017 Bulldogs with around picks (9) & (27 & 38) - Virtually identical picks. I wonder how we are going to approach trade/draft season.

I hope it is Lever and some midfield pace we are so one dimensional in the middle.

bulldogtragic
07-07-2017, 11:18 PM
I hope it is Lever and some midfield pace we are so one dimensional in the middle.

That's my wish too. Like Hawthorn did in 09, I'd trade all three picks, use free agency on the right players and tinker at the draft.

Twodogs
08-07-2017, 06:57 AM
Who did Hawthorn draft in 2009 BT?

westdog54
08-07-2017, 07:13 AM
Who did Hawthorn draft in 2009 BT?

Sam Grimley at 39;
Ben Stratton at 45;
Jordan Williams at 57;
Rhan Hooper at 58;
Taylor Duryea at 69;
Matt Suckling at 70 (Promoted Rookie).

They also rookied Wayde Skipper.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2017, 05:42 PM
So? What can we learn?

The Bulldogs Bite
19-08-2017, 05:46 PM
So? What can we learn?

That we didn't learn anything as a club from Hawthorn of 2009.

We need to plug many of the holes on our list - only area we look ok for is half back.

GVGjr
19-08-2017, 07:46 PM
So? What can we learn?

I don't think I've seen enough positives to even make this comparison. We will be wishing that we will follow their rebound but realistically how likely is it?

The Bulldogs Bite
19-08-2017, 07:49 PM
I don't think I've seen enough positives to even make this comparison. We will be wishing that we will follow their rebound but realistically how likely is it?

Agreed - think we need a mini rebuild to become contenders again

bulldogtragic
19-08-2017, 07:53 PM

You don't often talk negatives. What are the list of negatives we need to address?

azabob
19-08-2017, 07:55 PM

I'm sure Hawks supporters also couldn't see any positives at the end of 2009 either.

If we can fix up our ball movement and delivery into our forward line I think we will improve in 2018.

Easier said than done.

GVGjr
19-08-2017, 08:13 PM
You don't often talk negatives. What are the list of negatives we need to address?

I think we are a mile off the side that got 15 wins in the home and away season and then put together a faultless finals series.
We can stare into the eyes of the coaches and ask if they were demanding enough of players returning from holidays and ask were they happy with what they saw?

We can ask the hard question of the list managers and see why we started 2017 with a weaker team than what we finished 2016 with?

We should certainly ask questions around player development plans and were the coaches and fitness staff content with the results let alone question why our skill level is still an issue?

We know we had injuries and some players dropped off by an alarming rate so it's going to be very interesting to see how seriously the clubs takes an unfulfilling 2017 season. Was it the gap year we had to have or did we just get lucky in 2016? If the answer is yes to either of those options I'll won't be content with that.

I think it's a lot of wishful thinking to say the difference between last year is comparable to the Hawks

bulldogtragic
19-08-2017, 08:22 PM
I think we are a mile off the side that got 15 wins in the home and away season and then put together a faultless finals series.
We can stare into the eyes of the coaches and ask if they were demanding enough of players returning from holidays and ask were they happy with what they saw?

We can ask the hard question of the list managers and see why we started 2017 with a weaker team than what we finished 2016 with?

We should certainly ask questions around player development plans and were the coaches and fitness staff content with the results let alone question why our skill level is still an issue?

We know we had injuries and some players dropped off by an alarming rate so it's going to be very interesting to see how seriously the clubs takes an unfulfilling 2017 season. Was it the gap year we had to have or did we just get lucky in 2016? If the answer is yes to either of those options I'll won't be content with that.

I think it's a lot of wishful thinking to say the difference between last year is comparable to the Hawks

I think my intention is to ask, 'what did Hawthorn do in response to their narrowly missing finals in 2009, and are there any lessons from how they responded for us to pick up on'.

Twodogs
20-08-2017, 05:52 PM

We didn't retain much of what it was that made us so good at times last year did we? If it was hunger that caused that then we are in trouble and we have to make changes to the list that won't be popular about some players.

Remi Moses
20-08-2017, 06:00 PM
I hope we can pick up some of the intel on how hawthorn responded after 09
One things for sure , they made changes .

ledge
20-08-2017, 06:16 PM
I hope we can pick up some of the intel on how hawthorn responded after 09
One things for sure , they made changes .

Well we are making big changes as well but not our own choice . We have two 300 gamers retiring that's a lot of experience to fill.
We will be a mid to young squad and this year although labelled a failure could bare fruit in the kids that we played due to injury and maybe a lost hunger from other players.

bulldogtragic
18-09-2017, 07:07 PM
Getting even more like a mirror like now.

Rumours of players partying too hard the season after the flag.
Mid sized forward, former/club leading goal kicker & fan favourite with trade currency traded out (likely) (Mark 'Shot Gun Salute' Williams - Jake 'The Package' Stringer).
Recruiting a competent mature tall defender (Josh Gibson - Jackson Trengove, likely)
Hawks put picks & Williams compo up for Burgoyne - Dogs TBA

ratsmac
18-09-2017, 09:16 PM
Getting even more like a mirror like now.

Rumours of players partying too hard the season after the flag.
Mid sized forward, former/club leading goal kicker & fan favourite with trade currency traded out (likely) (Mark 'Shot Gun Salute' Williams - Jake 'The Package' Stringer).
Recruiting a competent mature tall defender (Josh Gibson - Jackson Trengove, likely)
Hawks put picks & Williams compo up for Burgoyne - Dogs TBA

So the question remains, who is our Burgoyne? Is there a gem at a struggling club that wants a fresh start? If so are we in there ear?

bulldogtragic
18-09-2017, 09:29 PM
So the question remains, who is our Burgoyne? Is there a gem at a struggling club that wants a fresh start? If so are we in there ear?

I'd say Rockliff. I rate him fairly highly and free agency is great. Gaff someone said is reported as on the market. Liam Duggan maybe. I'd still be considering pick 9 for a range of players in the midfield or forward. Just don't really know whose available.

But like Hawthorn, pick 9 plus Stringer compo if it happens could buy a very smooth mid surely.

ratsmac
18-09-2017, 10:14 PM
I'd say Rockliff. I rate him fairly highly and free agency is great. Gaff someone said is reported as on the market. Liam Duggan maybe. I'd still be considering pick 9 for a range of players in the midfield or forward. Just don't really know whose available.

But like Hawthorn, pick 9 plus Stringer compo if it happens could buy a very smooth mid surely.

I think Rocky would be a great fit bitnthwnword on the street is that he off to Carlton. Gaff is a real interesting one. He is a good player that hasn't reached the heights I thought he would. Could Bevo make him great. He's also a Marcelin boy just like the Bont. I think you are onto something BT

bulldogtragic
18-09-2017, 10:20 PM
I think Rocky would be a great fit bitnthwnword on the street is that he off to Carlton. Gaff is a real interesting one. He is a good player that hasn't reached the heights I thought he would. Could Bevo make him great. He's also a Marcelin boy just like the Bont. I think you are onto something BT

Off to Carlton? Must be via GWS then. I didn't think SOS looked passed GWS.

GVGjr
18-09-2017, 10:21 PM
Off to Carlton? Must be via GWS then. I didn't think SOS looked passed GWS.

He's off a shoulder reconstruction first

Bulldog Revolution
19-09-2017, 09:05 AM
He's off a shoulder reconstruction first

I'd thought Adelaide were the front runners

So rocky replaces Gibbs?