PDA

View Full Version : 30+ Point Leads Aren't What They Used To Be

bulldogtragic
20-05-2017, 10:27 PM
What's going on with the game? Not long ago getting a lead over 5 goals was enough to rest easy, or consign yourself to a loss, not anymore. Anyone have an idea why?

Twodogs
20-05-2017, 10:55 PM
Teams do seem to score quickly when the momentum changes.

bornadog
20-05-2017, 11:57 PM
Footballers are faster, more athletic aad better kicks than the good old days, and therefore they are able to move the ball very quickly from one end to the other.

A bit of momentum and next thing you know 5 goals.

bulldogtragic
21-05-2017, 11:40 AM
Does that mean teams can not defend well enough then? I agree the scoring ability is improved, but why can't teams defend well enough?

comrade
21-05-2017, 01:29 PM
Does that mean teams can not defend well enough then? I agree the scoring ability is improved, but why can't teams defend well enough?

The change in HTB interpretation might have a butterfly effect. If teams can just propel the ball forward without a legitimate disposal, it's easier to break away and pepper the attacking 50. Teams then go defensive, make mistakes under pressure and all of a sudden, there's 5 goals kicked in a row where previously, a free kick here or there might have stifled the momentum.

I could be off base but the two may be correlated.

GVGjr
21-05-2017, 01:34 PM
A lot of teams have lost the ability to play tempo footy and can't close out quarters or play tight for 5 or 10 minutes.
We see the same in cricket where batsman are still playing their shots in the last over of a session.

I think it's a reflection on how they are coached and that the leaders or senior players on the field can't really control things as well as we think they should be able to.