PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 13, 2017 vs Melbourne

Eastdog
23-05-2017, 09:07 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 13, 2017 match against Melbourne at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
08-06-2017, 10:26 PM
Bump, this one is becoming a critical game for us

Eastdog
08-06-2017, 11:56 PM
Will see first how Footscray go tomorrow night at Whitten Oval. Im hoping Libba has a great game and pushes for selection. Honeychurch is another I'm keen to see play in the seniors. How far away is Tom Boyd?

bulldogtragic
09-06-2017, 12:00 AM
Confused.

Option 1: Tell the 22, less injured players, they embarrassed themselves and tell them as a group to restore their respect.

Option 2: Swing the changes, deep and hard. Tell dropped players to put a month of good footy together or enjoy suburban footy for the rest of the year.

No middle ground.

always right
09-06-2017, 12:39 AM
I'll wait until Footscray play.....but Suckling and Boyd should be very nervous. Toyd in for English, Honeychurch for Suckling, Webb for Boyd, Morris for Adams (inj). Picken on last chance. Desperately want Libba to find form.

Hotdog60
09-06-2017, 06:41 AM
Going by Bevo's presser I don't think Libba will be a automatic call up this week. Some jurno said his sources told him Libba had been playing well and Bevo said what sources.
From the limited games I've managed to see on the tv of the VFL Libba hasn't set the world on fire at that level and I would have thought Mitch Honeychurch would be a mile ahead of him at the moment.
Interesting Bevo also said you get picked on form and not on reputation so with that comment could we see a lot of changes again this week.

soupman
09-06-2017, 02:08 PM
Is this our week to be in the position that Geelong was in against us? A point to prove and 3 home games to do it in? This week we need to come out angry, and seeing as we are playing a team like Melbourne who like to rough teams up like they've achieved something then I want us to pick a few tougher guys and get the side as a collective ready to come out and redeem themselves for our insipid performance last night.

Ins:
First inclusion would be Zaine Cordy, with the added bonus that he is a natural replacement for Adams.
Second in is Mitch Honeychurch, his VFL form has been excellent, he brings pressure and tenacity and enthusiasm.
Third in is Tom Boyd, who physically is much more advanced than English and can have more of an impact in the middle of the ground.
Fourth in is the best performing of Bailey Williams, Tom Liberatore, Lukas Webb or Josh Prudden. All are neat kicks and should be keen to impress.

Outs:
First up is Matt Suckling, I am a fan when he is up and about, unfortunately that hasn't been the case since maybe round 6 2016. Physically underwhelming, and his disposal instead of being a weapon has been a liability of late. I can barely remember him actually doing anything by hand or foot the last few rounds that has made me nod my head and go "that's why we brought him in".\
Second is Matthew Boyd, has been poor this season and considering that should have come back through Footscray. Had an atrocious game last night, fumbling and poor by hand, his two biggest strengths. Give him a chance to rediscover form in the VFL, not an intense match against a fast footed Melbourne.
Third out is Tim English, I like him but he doesn't add enough as a small in the midfield, has yet to show anything up forward and Tom Boyd is a better ruck at this stage. He's had more of a taste than expected at this point.
Fourth out is Marcus Adams, only because of the injury I presume he has, I wouldn't know any details though, Jude Bolton's expert commentary consisted of saying "I wonder where Adams is boys" when Buddy came on at the start of the third unmarked, and a "Haven't seen Adams since he went into the rooms and din't come back out", as if he was helpless to find out any relevant information despite it being his sole role.

I could have dropped more, Picken is one who's form this year has been terrible since the concussion, but he gets another chance. Also I tossed up Cloke and Redpath but Clke didn't get a good run at it this week and his big body will be good to throw around. Redpath however would be good to set on Vince.

Rocco Jones
10-06-2017, 02:30 PM
Listening to Bevo + VFL + own thoughts musings....

Outs
English- awesome upside, just not ready to compete in ruck, does not go close to getting it enough to be a mid and not strong enough to play KP
Adams- injury
Suckling/M.Boyd- at least one has to go out. Really doesn't sell the right message about form over credits whenen Williams is out.
Cloke- just think he is a liability we can't afford at the moment and rather we go with form over rep. Not writing him off and we paid peanuts, fine with him as a backup.

Ins
Would be wonderful to have Tom Boyd and/or Moz back.
Williams- in for Suckling or Matty Boyd
Bevo mentioned in presser that mid pecking order for those out was Honey, Webb and Libba. If he sticks to that post VFL game, it's probably now Webb, Honey and Libba. Would like to see Honey or Webb in. Hard to stick with reasoning to drop Libba and then bring him in.
Zaine- I want him back in. Like his intensity.
Campbell- I would bring him in if Tom Boyd isn't ready. Our ruck work is so poor at the moment, need a guy who will at least compete.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-06-2017, 02:36 PM
Out: Adams, M. Boyd, English, Cloke, Roughy
In: Cordy, Webb, Honeychurch, T.Boyd, Campbell

The first three ins have been playing well in the VFL. Campbell played well on Friday and Roughie looked not ready.

josie
10-06-2017, 04:19 PM
Out: Adams, MBoyd, Suckling, English
In: Cordy, Webb, Honeychurch, Libba

Presuming Morris, TBoyd, Murphy still injured. If TBoyd ok then Libba plays another week in vfl. Saw qtr 2 to 4 in vfl and thought Libba's intensity looked pretty good. After Lipinski builds up his fitness I reckon he will get promoted pretty soon too. MC should be building for future so more senior games for young ones playing well in vfl.

jeemak
10-06-2017, 10:08 PM
I'm a little annoyed we didn't include Honey and exclude English last week. I don't see how Cloke couldn't have had a greater impact in the conditions over and above what English provided, and I don't see how Honey didn't deserve an opportunity to provide some grunt and effort in the middle.

Unfortunately the hubris of our coaching team kept Honey out on Thursday because of some ideological bullshit that they practice rather than preach (remember, the team according to Bevo is supposed to be picked on merit). I can see this week's VFL game being used as a reason to once again keep him out, given he didn't knock the door down with another BOG - or close to - game.

So once again I'm going to refrain from bothering with selection. I'm not as smart as the guys on the panel and I have no idea what their strategy is.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-06-2017, 11:08 PM
I'm a little annoyed we didn't include Honey and exclude English last week. I don't see how Cloke couldn't have had a greater impact in the conditions over and above what English provided, and I don't see how Honey didn't deserve an opportunity to provide some grunt and effort in the middle.

Unfortunately the hubris of our coaching team kept Honey out on Thursday because of some ideological bullshit that they practice rather than preach (remember, the team according to Bevo is supposed to be picked on merit). I can see this week's VFL game being used as a reason to once again keep him out, given he didn't knock the door down with another BOG - or close to - game.

So once again I'm going to refrain from bothering with selection. I'm not as smart as the guys on the panel and I have no idea what their strategy is.

Another solid post jeemak.

I'm not Honey's biggest fan, but how can Bevo continually talk about rewarding players in form and completely ignore him yet play Cloke and English? Especially in wet conditions v Sydney, absolutely mind numbing. I've lost count how many times Bevo has said "Honeychurch is close/our best performed mid at VFL level", followed by him playing another week in the VFL while others find their way back into the side. As you said - we're not practising what we're preaching.

We've been deplorable in the box and at selections this year. What logic was drawn to let Danger and Selwood run free after they'd struggled for the month prior because they'd been receiving close attention? Not to mention our success curtailing them last year.

Bevo has to start taking some blame, ditto the rest of the coaching group.

jeemak
10-06-2017, 11:27 PM
I'd almost be inclined to start a thread on how our coaching panel is performing, alas, I'm not going to given it's likely to descend into a Gia bashing session given stoppages has been a major issues of ours - as was our forward performance last year around this time when we started asking the same questions!

Last year we found out our forward structure was actually pretty good when we moved the ball OK and had consistency in cattle. Perhaps this year we need to take a look at the midfield and stoppages, and see what our cattle situation has been for the first half of the year and how that my have impacted our work in the area to date.

S Coast Simon
11-06-2017, 02:36 AM
I'd like to address the MC firstly
it was raining for two days leading up to this game. Knowing this as we did why would we not pick Libba and Cordy. Also Williams should have stayed as Boyd needed a few runs in the seconds first up as he was rusty before he got injured. Wasn't the weather for English either. That was definitely Tom Cambell weather just smashing the ball and the opposition. Even a feisty little terrier that has I believe earned the chance in Honeychurch. Cloke did better than he got credit for the delivery to him was pretty poor. A few times he was five meters in front and was missed.

In. Cordy. Williams. Libba
Out. Adams. M Boyd. English although better suited to next week under the roof. Roughy and Cloke to ruck.

Im thinking the players these days when dropped need a week off playing to refresh first and break the cycle they are in playing poorly. Then a game in the seconds to get back their footy mojo and get back in the seniors. They are only out for two weeks but seems like not a bad idea they are always playing sore so a week off wouldn't be a bad way of freshening them up as well

Go_Dogs
11-06-2017, 10:00 AM
Out:-
Boyd, English, Adams

In:-
Williams, HC, Cordy

If Tom Boyd and/or Dale Morris are available, I'd look to bring them in too.

Cloke to chop out in the ruck.

lemmon
11-06-2017, 12:16 PM
Out- Boyd, Cloke, English, Suckling, Adams

In- Morris, T Boyd, Honeychurch, Zaine, Libba

We haven't been tough enough this year and Sydney stood over us, so lets actually address it at selection.

Honey, Cordy, Libba and Morris will all bring that in different ways. Really sick of hearing "we're the hunted". The Hawks were the hunted for 4 years and they matched that with physicality.

Rocco Jones
11-06-2017, 01:42 PM
Last year when the side was down on numbers we packed it with contested ball types. The side wasn't balanced but it set a barometer. Do we go down that path again?

bulldogtragic
11-06-2017, 01:51 PM
Out- Boyd, Cloke, English, Suckling, Adams

In- Morris, T Boyd, Honeychurch, Zaine, Libba

We haven't been tough enough this year and Sydney stood over us, so lets actually address it at selection.

Honey, Cordy, Libba and Morris will all bring that in different ways. Really sick of hearing "we're the hunted". The Hawks were the hunted for 4 years and they matched that with physicality.

Not just matched it, they went from already unsociable footy to down right pricks that intimidated most teams. Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge etc relished in it, being free kicks, fines or suspensions. They still hunted, from little dirty things (Mitchell giving blokes corkies, or verbal like the 'jab-jab' incident), to frequent late hard hits (Hodge) or suspendable hits (Lewis often). They never, ever let anyone intimidate them as a team, or stood for anyone of their teammates coping it. No one hunted them really successfully in the cut throat games, from the 2012 GF until we jumped them last year.

Thursday was just confusing. When North tried to do it last year, primarily at Bonts, the team and player did the exact opposite. I thought it would fire us up as a group, but credit to them, they successfully psyched us out.

GVGjr
11-06-2017, 01:58 PM
Last year when the side was down on numbers we packed it with contested ball types. The side wasn't balanced but it set a barometer. Do we go down that path again?

I think we had a bit more depth last year in that regard but I think there is some merit in the suggestion.
Ideally that mean Wallis and Liberatore leading the way.

Rocco Jones
11-06-2017, 02:58 PM
When you're struggling to click, I think you go back to essentials. Our defence is so unclean with their hands. I am picking defenders who can either defend or offer us run. Filling out the side with mid/fwds who can apply defensive pressure.

B: Wood, Roberts, Williams
HB: JJ, Morris, Hunter
C: Daniel, Macrae, Dahl
HF: Dale, Cordy, McLean
F: Dickson, T.Boyd, Stringer
R: Roughy, Bont, Wallis
IC: Picken, Libba, Honeychurch, Jong

- Picken to switch around. He is struggling anyway. Hunter and him can rotate down back and hopefully at least one offers us run.
- Libba, Honey, Jong do the mid/fwd thing that served us alright last year.

If Moz is out, Cloke (hoping Etihad suits him a bit more) comes in and Zaine goes back

If Tom Boyd is out, Campbell comes in. At least he can get his hand near a ruck contest.

Scorlibo
11-06-2017, 03:05 PM
Bevo has backed himself into a corner a little bit by talking about Libba in the post-match press conference. We're past the point of being able to keep Libba back in the twos with the hope that he'll return to his best form, it's a luxury that we can't afford anymore. At even 60% capacity, Libba will improve the team, no question, so he has to play.

In: Libba, Sweet Jesus, Webb, Cordy, Boyd.
Out: English, Adams, Suckling, Cloke, Biggs.

Back the leaders to bounce back: Roughead, M.Boyd.

Cull the main culprits for losing contested ball: Biggs, Suckling.

Remove the tall players not offering anything: English, Cloke.

Put ball players on notice that their output can't reach that kind of low again: Jong, Dale, Johannisen.

Webb plays Suckling's role, Roughead switches down back, Cordy and Honeychurch are tasked with the forward pressure. Boyd back into the ruck.

always right
12-06-2017, 12:23 AM
Bevo has backed himself into a corner a little bit by talking about Libba in the post-match press conference. We're past the point of being able to keep Libba back in the twos with the hope that he'll return to his best form, it's a luxury that we can't afford anymore. At even 60% capacity, Libba will improve the team, no question, so he has to play.

In: Libba, Sweet Jesus, Webb, Cordy, Boyd.
Out: English, Adams, Suckling, Cloke, Biggs.

Back the leaders to bounce back: Roughead, M.Boyd.

Cull the main culprits for losing contested ball: Biggs, Suckling.

Remove the tall players not offering anything: English, Cloke.

Put ball players on notice that their output can't reach that kind of low again: Jong, Dale, Johannisen.

Webb plays Suckling's role, Roughead switches down back, Cordy and Honeychurch are tasked with the forward pressure. Boyd back into the ruck.
Reckon Biggs is more important now with Boyd out of form, Murphy missing, and JJ likely to be a target as he was in Sydney. Who else can run the ball out of defence? Even Adams was good at generating drive from defence and now he's missing.

JohnGentStand
12-06-2017, 10:53 AM
Ins- Boyd, Morris, Webb,

Outs- Adams, English, Picken,

I'd love to have Murph & Libba back too
Cordy would be a chance for Cloke

Eastdog
12-06-2017, 10:14 PM
I don't normally attempt selections but I'll give it a try:

Out: Adams, Suckling, English, Cloke
Ins: Libba, Webb, Honeychurch, T Boyd

Really will be great to have Libba come back.

hujsh
12-06-2017, 11:10 PM
Seeing as it's not quite clear where guys are with injury (Morris Boyd for example) I'll give my selections is a slightly different way. I've split my changes into people I want out of the team or are injured, people I want in the team and those I'm 50/50 on whether they stay or go depending on injuries VFL form etc.

Desired/forced outs: Boyd, Suckling, English, Adams

Desired ins: Williams, Libba, Morris, Cordy, T.Boyd, Honeychurch

Considered outs: Hunter, Cloke

Considered ins: Redpath

I've got more I want to bring in than I am sure I want to go but it's possible one of Morris or Boyd won't be available

OUTS:
M.Boyd and Sucking have been poor. Boyd lost the magic pixie dust that made him a composed backman so hopefully he finds more in the VFL.

English got his run/reward but isn't ready

Hunter hasn't been great so if we have someone who deserves a game ahead of him lets pull that trigger.

Cloke wasn't great but considering the conditions (weather and team performance) he might deserve a second chance

INS:
Morris replaces Adams and if not available Cordy comes in.

I'd be happy with Cordy in regardless and would even consider playing him forward again if no spots open up down back.

Williams replaces one of Boyd or Sucking, Libba adds both defensive grunt and skill if he's ready to come back to Earth and HC has done everything that could be asked of him for another shot. His forward defensive pressure may help re-establish our standard.

Redpath is just if we want a direct replacement for Cloke.

lemmon
12-06-2017, 11:28 PM
Do we know how far away Clay is?

GVGjr
13-06-2017, 03:34 AM
Do we know how far away Clay is?

I looked on the AFL site and it said one to two weeks

bulldogsthru&thru
13-06-2017, 09:08 AM
I'm not sure if i want Gawn to play or not. He's obviously one of the best ruckman in the comp and that is an area we always struggle in. But if he comes straight back after 8 weeks out he will be massively underdone which could work in our favour.

LostDoggy
13-06-2017, 11:26 AM
The club representative on the Facebook page (Red WB) has stated that Morris and Tom Boyd are ready to go this week.

Also stated they are expecting Clay Smith to be available for selection this week.

lemmon
13-06-2017, 12:58 PM
I'd consider Clay coming straight back in. He's not a matchwinner but he hits the scoreboard and brings some competitiveness

bornadog
13-06-2017, 01:00 PM
In: Morris, Tom Boyd, Cordy, Honeychurch (would like Libba, but gut says he won't play)

Out: Adams, English, M Boyd, Dale (unlucky)

Topdog
13-06-2017, 01:22 PM
In: Morris, Tom Boyd, Cordy

Out: Adams, English, M Boyd

Go_Dogs
13-06-2017, 07:49 PM
So Morris, Tom Boyd and Clay all potentially able to resume.

That helps.

Rocket Science
13-06-2017, 08:09 PM
The prospect of Morris alone returning will afford me an extra hour of two of sleep a night.

Eastdog
13-06-2017, 08:09 PM

That helps.

Hopefully they are ready to go and available for selection if required but even if not I sense will be swinging the changes this week as I would expect.

bornadog
13-06-2017, 08:57 PM

That helps.

Clay should come back via VFL, he hasn't exactly set the world on fire

Nuggety Back Pocket
15-06-2017, 12:29 PM
In: Morris, Tom Boyd, Cordy, Honeychurch (would like Libba, but gut says he won't play)

Out: Adams, English, M Boyd, Dale (unlucky)

I would prefer to see Liberatore return. Our performance against Sydney was probably our worst in the three years that Bevo has been at the helm. We were badly beaten in the midfield and up forward where both Cloke and Stringer were poor. I would prefer to see us return to something like our 2016 Premiership team and would be happy to see the following 6 changes:
In. Morris Cordy T Boyd, Liberatore, Redpath and Williams.
Out. Adams (inj) Cloke English Suckling Jong and Dale.
B. Biggs Roberts Morris
HB. Wood Cordy JJ
C. Picken Macrae Hunter
HF. Dahlhaus T.Boyd Dickson
F. Stringer Redpath Daniel
R. Roughead Bontempelli Wallis
Int. M.Boyd Liberatore Maclean Williams
r.

bornadog
15-06-2017, 12:46 PM
I would prefer to see Liberatore return.

Since my post, I am feeling that Libba will play.

Mantis
15-06-2017, 12:46 PM
I would prefer to see Liberatore return. Our performance against Sydney was probably our worst in the three years that Bevo has been at the helm. We were badly beaten in the midfield and up forward where both Cloke and Stringer were poor. I would prefer to see us return to something like our 2016 Premiership team and would be happy to see the following 6 changes:

In. Morris Cordy T Boyd, Liberatore, Redpath and Williams.
Out. Adams (inj) Cloke English Suckling Jong and Dale.

B. Biggs Roberts Morris
HB. Wood Cordy JJ
C. Picken Macrae Hunter
HF. Dahlhaus T.Boyd Dickson
F. Stringer Redpath Daniel
R. Roughead Bontempelli Wallis
Int. M.Boyd Liberatore Maclean Williams
r.

I'm not sure on what basis you can keep M.Boyd in this team who is performed consistently below the level required this year, yet drop Dale & Jong who have been pretty good.. Whilst it's nice to go back to what has worked, that was then and this is now.

bornadog
15-06-2017, 02:18 PM
Hunter press conference:

"Moz trained today so he should be right to go, likewise Tom Boyd. Clay is another one up for selection.

Eastdog
15-06-2017, 02:21 PM
Fascinating what will happen 6:25pm tonight. Many woofers including myself hoping Libba will be selected for this match.

Bulldog4life
15-06-2017, 03:23 PM
Fascinating what will happen 6:25pm tonight. Many woofers including myself hoping Libba will be selected for this match.

Although tonight the final team won't be announced Easty. Not till tomorrow night.

LostDoggy
15-06-2017, 05:06 PM
I have a strong feeling that men of mayhem will be back on Sunday...

Finally we are getting the criticism we deserve.

We are a below average side when we don't bring the pressure and intensity. The dominate Hawthorn side recently could get away with it, getting by with their silk and skill. We don't have that luxury.

if it's not existent on Sunday then I fear it will never be.

bornadog
15-06-2017, 06:23 PM
Mark Stevens tweeting, Libba will be back in.

bornadog
15-06-2017, 07:26 PM
IN: D. Morris, T. Campbell, T. Liberatore, M. Honeychurch, L. Webb, Z. Cordy, B. Williams
OUT: M. Boyd, T. Cloke, F. Roberts, M. Adams, T. English

bornadog
15-06-2017, 07:27 PM
Cloke sore, English , Mboyd Roberts omitted

bornadog
15-06-2017, 07:28 PM
Very short backline

bulldogtragic
15-06-2017, 07:32 PM
IN: D. Morris, T. Campbell, T. Liberatore, M. Honeychurch, L. Webb, Z. Cordy, B. Williams
OUT: M. Boyd, T. Cloke, F. Roberts, M. Adams, T. English

My members email link won't work. Who are the three into the starting 18?

GVGjr
15-06-2017, 07:36 PM

Boyd, Morris and Cordy

Eastdog

I think Morris and Libba are confirmed. From what GVG Libba not in the starting 18.

GVGjr
Very short backline

They don't have a tall forward line.

Bulldog4life
15-06-2017, 07:37 PM
I think Morris and Libba are confirmed.

Libba on bench

Hotdog60
15-06-2017, 07:40 PM
Western Bulldogs

B Dale Morris, Zaine Cordy, Jason Johannisen
HB Shane Biggs, Easton Wood, Matthew Suckling
C Lachie Hunter, Jack Macrae, Tory Dickson
HF Caleb Daniel, Tom Boyd, Toby McLean
F Lin Jong, Jake Stringer, Liam Picken
Fol Jordan Roughead, Marcus Bontempelli, Mitch Wallis
I/C Luke Dahlhaus, Tom Campbell, Lukas Webb, Tom Liberatore, Mitch Honeychurch, Bailey Dale, Bailey Williams
(Three to be omitted)

Bulldog4life
15-06-2017, 07:41 PM
Wouldnt surprise if Campbell plays Roughy spends time in the backline

Flamethrower
15-06-2017, 07:45 PM
Wouldnt surprise if Campbell plays Roughy spends time in the backline

Who would Jordan play on? Garlett? Petraca? Melbourne have no talls apart from the mid sized Jack Watts.

Hotdog60
15-06-2017, 07:47 PM
Suckling needs to take out a lotto ticket.

Bulldog4life
15-06-2017, 07:49 PM
Who would Jordan play on? Garlett? Petraca? Melbourne have no talls apart from the mid sized Jack Watts.

Their second string ruckman is back in and Wedeiman too

Remi Moses
15-06-2017, 08:01 PM
We need another key back at years end . Desperately

bornadog
15-06-2017, 08:31 PM
196cm

soupman
15-06-2017, 08:32 PM
196cm

Isn't exactly a power forward though and plays ore like a flanker. Cordy is plenty big enough to take him when he's deep. Otherwise I imagine someone like Biggs will push up the ground with him.

Debw
15-06-2017, 08:41 PM
I just saw Dahlhaus named in the 2's ? Surely I need glasses ??

bulldogtragic
15-06-2017, 08:42 PM
I just saw Dahlhaus named in the 2's ? Surely I need glasses ??
He's on the bench, and they all on the bench get listed as a matter of course.

divvydan
16-06-2017, 06:04 PM
Final changes

In: Morris, Liberatore, T.Boyd, Honeychurch, Cordy
Out: Adams, M.Boyd, Cloke, English, Roberts

Melbourne unchanged.

bornadog
16-06-2017, 06:05 PM
Western Bulldogs

B Dale Morris, Zaine Cordy, Jason Johannisen
HB Shane Biggs, Easton Wood, Matthew Suckling
C Lachie Hunter, Jack Macrae, Tory Dickson
HF Caleb Daniel, Tom Boyd, Toby McLean
F Lin Jong, Jake Stringer, Liam Picken
Fol Jordan Roughead, Marcus Bontempelli, Mitch Wallis

Final Teams.

Interchange Dahlhaus Liberatore Honeychurch Dale

Em; Campbell Webb Williams

bornadog
16-06-2017, 06:05 PM
Great to see Honeychurch get his chance.

Smads57
16-06-2017, 06:10 PM
Really pleased for HC. Went to a pre-season event where HC was one of the guests and during the Q&A opportunity asked him what he needed to do to get an AFL game in 2017 after strong form in the VFL in 2016. He gave the usual response around working harder with the coaching staff etc and taking his chances when the opportunity arises...hope he nails it on Sunday - he's a good kid.

Axe Man
16-06-2017, 06:10 PM
Melbourne have gone without a recognised ruckman, with Watts as the only tallish forward, so lack of height in the backline shouldn't be an issue.

bornadog
16-06-2017, 06:11 PM
Melbourne have gone without a recognised ruckman, with Watts as the only tallish forward, so lack of height in the backline shouldn't be an issue.

Is the first time we are taller than our opponents.

Axe Man
16-06-2017, 06:14 PM
Is the first time we are taller than our opponents.

Might be the first time we win the hitout count for a while as well. Whether we can take advantage of that is another story...

bulldogtragic
16-06-2017, 06:21 PM
Great to see Honeychurch get his chance.

Yep. I could be way wrong, but I doubt there's that many rising star nominees (Honeychurch) that have played very little in the couple of years after nomination. Fingers crossed he does a Bailey Dale and keeps his spot on form.

bulldogtragic
16-06-2017, 06:22 PM

Why not have a gentlemens agreement to not play rucks. I'm sure Bevo is up for it.

Eastdog
16-06-2017, 09:14 PM
Good luck to Mitch. Good to seem him in the side. Morris and T Boyd now that sounds good.

1eyedog
16-06-2017, 09:21 PM
I like that side against the Dees. I think we'll kill them.

westdog54
17-06-2017, 08:50 AM
Why not have a gentlemens agreement to not play rucks. I'm sure Bevo is up for it.

The equivalent of an 'uncontested scrum' in rugby. I like it!

With both Roughead and Boyd playing we should be able to take advantage of this for once. Both Tom and Jordan are athletic enough for their size that they can cover a bit of ground at Docklands.

I think this will bite Melbourne on the arse in a big way.

We've effectively replaced M.Boyd and English with Honeychurch and Libba. Will be interesting to see how they tweak the line-up to make everyone fit.

azabob
17-06-2017, 10:52 AM
Interestingly no running half back wasn't selected to replace Boyd. From memory we normally have three attacking defenders? Combination of either Boyd, Murphy, Biggs, JJ or Williams.

Could we see Bailey Dale play down back tomorrow?

1eyedog
17-06-2017, 10:59 AM
Interestingly no running half back wasn't selected to replace Boyd. From memory we normally have three attacking defenders? Combination of either Boyd, Murphy, Biggs, JJ or Williams.

Boyd is not a running / attacking half back.

azabob
17-06-2017, 11:06 AM
Boyd is not a running / attacking half back.

Are you surprised he wasn't replaced by Williams though?

westdog54
17-06-2017, 12:01 PM

Could Libba be given a job to do?

Rocco Jones
17-06-2017, 01:13 PM
Earlier in the week I suggest going back to selecting contested ball types ahead of HBs and talls who weren't doing enough. Glad to see it happen. Yes, structurally the talls and runners would be better but if they aren't good enough, they shouldn't be picked. When you are struggling to get value from your 18-22, go with competitors.

Rocco Jones
17-06-2017, 01:15 PM
Backline for mine...
Key-posts: Cordy, Morris
Medium duties: Wood, Biggs
Smalls: Suckling, JJ
Rotating through mid/fwd: Hunter, Picken
Back up: Roughy

I think that's enough.

Happy Days
17-06-2017, 02:00 PM
Could Libba be given a job to do?

I'd start with "getting the ball"

Eastdog
17-06-2017, 04:42 PM
I'd start with "getting the ball"

Hopefully Libba gets a lot of it and more important the disposal efficiency is high.

Twodogs
17-06-2017, 05:41 PM
Final Teams.

Interchange Dahlhaus Liberatore Honeychurch Dale

Em; Campbell Webb Williams

One is probably enough ruckmen given Melbourne aren't playing any.

bornadog
17-06-2017, 11:40 PM
One is probably enough ruckmen given Melbourne aren't playing any.

Roughead and Tom Boyd