PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 14, 2017 vs North Melbourne

Eastdog
23-05-2017, 09:09 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 14, 2017 match against North Melbourne at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
18-06-2017, 12:15 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
18-06-2017, 07:02 PM
No real idea. We need another tall defender though.

hujsh
18-06-2017, 09:03 PM
Who's left? Murph to come back possibly but might need a run.

Webb? Smith? Campbell?

Might just be a case of dropping those who need to be dropped and scraping a team from the rest

meenies
18-06-2017, 09:12 PM
Beto said Murph may return; Clay in, want Webb to have a good run at it, start Collins for a few runs, Jack to sit forward and crash/crush heads. Apart from Lin, take you pick of others to come out - Backs? Forwards? Mids?
We are not showing heart, pace and skill at present.

meenies
18-06-2017, 09:13 PM
should have been Bevo not Beto.

lemmon
18-06-2017, 09:18 PM
Out- Jong, Suckling, Hunter
In- Collins, Campbell, Webb

Give Webb and Collins a good crack at it, let's see if they can play. Campbell comes in so Boyd can actually play forward for an entire game.

I'd consider Biggs or McLean for Bob if he's ready.

G-Mo77
18-06-2017, 10:12 PM
No idea. Defence was putrid today I'd have Roberts back in (no idea why he was dropped anyway) bur hear he got injured.

Jong comes out I'm giving Webb a big run in his place.

Tom Campbell?

No idea on who goes for Smith or Murphy if ready?

bornadog
18-06-2017, 10:28 PM
I would consider dropping Dickson and McLean plus we know Jong is injured.

In: Murphy, Webb and Smith

LostDoggy
18-06-2017, 10:35 PM
Is Roberts injured?

Went off last night didn't he?

GVGjr
18-06-2017, 10:38 PM
Is Roberts injured?

Went off last night didn't he?

Concussion

westbulldog
19-06-2017, 02:06 AM
Out Jong, Dale, Johannisen
In Webb, Redpath, Smith

Eastdog
19-06-2017, 02:19 AM
Out Jong, Dale, Johannisen
In Webb, Redpath, Smith

Could provide us with something up forward as we need something desperately to happen up there.

Will attempt to predict the changes for our next match sometime this week.

Hotdog60
19-06-2017, 06:47 AM
I would consider dropping Dickson and McLean plus we know Jong is injured.

In: Murphy, Webb and Smith

I wouldn't have a clue who to bring in this week but was Dickson that bad or is he made to look bad with our delivery from up the field. He is still one of the few players we have that can still kick at the goals with a chance of making it count.
If you go by the stats he's not much worse than Stringer and Johannisen.
Also on Johannisen, that's two poor games in a row. Does he come under the microscope?
Just some thoughts.

MrMahatma
19-06-2017, 09:21 AM
I'd draw a line under Honey. Bring Webb in as he has more upside medium term. HC won't make it unfortunately.

1eyedog
19-06-2017, 10:08 AM
This 3 changes 5 changes thing week to week does nothing to assist settling the team. Some have been forced but we are chopping and changing a lot. Honey deserves one more week after all the hard work he's done at VFL level.

Ins: Murph
Out: Jong

G-Mo77
19-06-2017, 11:17 AM
5 changes were warranted after the Sydney game. It was disgusting, this week not much better.

I'd be looking to sure up some areas we lack in. Bring a ruckman in, how stubborn are our MC. Get someone in there who can actually help get first hands on the ball. The ruck rules have changed and we have not adapted at all. There is no 3rd man up anymore so this makeshift ruck lineup does not work!

Play Boyd forward. FFS play him forward!!! He can still chop out in ruck but we need a true target and a proper structure.

KPD. Roughy back or Roberts to come in if he's ok.

Murph for Jong

Ins: Campbell, Murphy (Roberts)
Outs: Jong, Biggs

Mantis
19-06-2017, 11:53 AM
5 changes were warranted after the Sydney game. It was disgusting, this week not much better.

I'd be looking to sure up some areas we lack in. Bring a ruckman in, how stubborn are our MC. Get someone in there who can actually help get first hands on the ball. The ruck rules have changed and we have not adapted at all. There is no 3rd man up anymore so this makeshift ruck lineup does not work!

Play Boyd forward. FFS play him forward!!! He can still chop out in ruck but we need a true target and a proper structure.

KPD. Roughy back or Roberts to come in if he's ok.

Murph for Jong

Ins: Campbell, Murphy (Roberts)
Outs: Jong, Biggs

Did you even watch the game yesterday?

Boyd & Roughy had 60 hit-outs between them.. Pederson & McDonald had 17... Winning hit-outs isn't the problem.

Scorlibo
19-06-2017, 12:15 PM
We'll need to bring in at least one tall to combat North's forward line. It might be an in form Campbell and Roughy thrown down back, or Collins, but he might not be ready. I'm concerned about Morris, his last few outings have been a long way off his best. We need him to find form, because the old fella might just be our most important player right now.

G-Mo77
19-06-2017, 01:33 PM
Did you even watch the game yesterday?

Boyd & Roughy had 60 hit-outs between them.. Pederson & McDonald had 17... Winning hit-outs isn't the problem.

I go every week, the condescending tone from you is not needed.

I've got no answers on our inability to get our hands on the footy. Ruck contests yesterday won were not to our advantage and when we did get a clearance we were outnumbered forward and Melbourne cleared with ease. I truely believe we need a sole ruckman. Boyd to chop out and play as a forward.

The Pie Man
19-06-2017, 02:15 PM
Challenging times - throw a few debuts in the mix for a spark.

IN: Smith, Lipinski, Young
OUT: Jong, Dickson, Biggs

Stringer, Picken, Bont , JJ & T Boyd need to do a lot more. I'd give Honeychurch another week, at least he was getting into some dangerous spots and did have 20 touches. Bont's stats of 24 and a goal look ok, but he's off the pace.

soupman
19-06-2017, 02:17 PM
I go every week, the condescending tone from you is not needed.

I've got no answers on our inability to get our hands on the footy. Ruck contests yesterday won were not to our advantage and when we did get a clearance we were outnumbered forward and Melbourne cleared with ease. I truely believe we need a sole ruckman. Boyd to chop out and play as a forward.
Not sure Campbell is the answer to that. Surely if we want a sole ruckman we play Roughead there for longer periods.

Either way the point is that despite our ruckmen winning or losing ruck taps our clearance work is pathetic. Something has to change with the players aropund the ball and how they are setting up. The ruckmen (while not helping) are not the problem.

To me it seemed as if we weren't even communicating though. Multiple times from boundary throw ins Boyd would whack it forward to Melbournes last mid (usually Jones) and our players would have to run past 3 Melbourne players just to get near it. They were good taps, why don't we communicate that it is going to happen so our midfielders have a chance of getting there?

G-Mo77
19-06-2017, 02:26 PM
Not sure Campbell is the answer to that. Surely if we want a sole ruckman we play Roughead there for longer periods.

Either way the point is that despite our ruckmen winning or losing ruck taps our clearance work is pathetic. Something has to change with the players aropund the ball and how they are setting up. The ruckmen (while not helping) are not the problem.

To me it seemed as if we weren't even communicating though. Multiple times from boundary throw ins Boyd would whack it forward to Melbournes last mid (usually Jones) and our players would have to run past 3 Melbourne players just to get near it. They were good taps, why don't we communicate that it is going to happen so our midfielders have a chance of getting there?

We're thin down back and I'd be tempted to throw him back there and bring Campbell into the team. Yesterday was the worst I've seen our back half in a very long time.

Mantis
19-06-2017, 04:16 PM
We're thin down back and I'd be tempted to throw him back there and bring Campbell into the team. Yesterday was the worst I've seen our back half in a very long time.

Is that a personnel issue or the way we set-up?

westdog54
19-06-2017, 04:20 PM
Is that a personnel issue or the way we set-up?

Set-up, without a shadow of a doubt.

Ozza
19-06-2017, 05:45 PM
A big issue with the defence yesterday was speed. It was really only a couple of times that the Dees took contested marks inside 50, most of their goals were either through their forward pressure, or on turnover getting players loose for chest marks or running goals.

North is a totally different proposition this week - and they direct a high % of their I50's to Brown and Waite, with some other medium forwards as lead/mark targets (Wood, Garner, Higgins when he is forward).

Rocco Jones
19-06-2017, 05:54 PM
In: Clay, Collins, Campbell
Out: Jong, Biggs, McLean

bornadog
19-06-2017, 06:26 PM

Pretty sure Murph will come straight back in.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-06-2017, 07:13 PM

Pretty much agree on this.

I do think at some stage we need to play Webb for a block of games. I'd have him ahead of Honeychurch who is neither a goal sneak or a midfielder. With Jong out, our midfield is really light too.

bulldogtragic
19-06-2017, 07:23 PM
Ins - Outs:

Webb - Jong (Inj) (mid for mid)
Williams - Biggs (HBF for HBF)
Murphy - McLean (utility for utility)
Collins - Picken (structural change. Picko needs to find form, urgently)
Cloke - Honeychurch (structural change. With Boyd, two genuine tall targets, plus Stringer. Hopefully there's good supply for them)

I'd consider sending JJ back with a task to develop his game passed what's ahead him now, but that's not going to help negotiations.

westdog54
19-06-2017, 10:10 PM
For mine we've lacked a hard edge and a willingness to take the game to our opponents physically.

On that basis Clay Smith comes in, as does one of Redpath or Cloke. Murph also comes in for class and leadership.

I'm shattered for Jong. Suckling isn't doing enough, nor is Dickson.

If JJ pulls up sore (he was barely moving in the last) Bailey Williams comes in.

Sedat
19-06-2017, 10:40 PM
For mine we've lacked a hard edge and a willingness to take the game to our opponents physically.

On that basis Clay Smith comes in, as does one of Redpath or Cloke. Murph also comes in for class and leadership.

I'm shattered for Jong. Suckling isn't doing enough, nor is Dickson.

If JJ pulls up sore (he was barely moving in the last) Bailey Williams comes in.
We might have to rename ourselves the Clydesdales if we make those changes. We'll be slower than a wet week - I know leg speed isn't the be all and end all, but man we'd be painfully slow.

boydogs
19-06-2017, 11:31 PM
The changes we made from the Sydney game worked

Libba - 29 touches, 9 tackles, 1.1
T Boyd - 36 hitouts, 11 touches, 4 tackles, 1.1
Morris - Pedersen didn't score
Honeychurch - Butchered it but had 20 touches, 4 tackles
Cordy - In most people's votes

Just need to keep ringing the changes to remove the passengers and find others than can contribute

Out: Jong, Biggs
In: Smith, Murphy

Mantis
20-06-2017, 11:04 AM
I have no *!*!*!*!ing idea... But the MC like making 5 changes, so that's what I'll do too.

Out: Jong, Biggs, Suckling, Honeychurch, Dale

In: Murphy, Williams, Webb, Cloke, Young

B- Morris, Cordy, Wood
HB - Murphy, Young, JJ
C - Macrae, Wallis, Hunter
HF - Daniel, Cloke, Stringer
F - Dahlhaus, Boyd, Dickson
R - Roughead, Bont, Libba

Int - McLean, Picken, Webb, Williams

bornadog
20-06-2017, 11:08 AM
I have no *!*!*!*!ing idea... But the MC like making 5 changes, so that's what I'll do too.

Out: Jong, Biggs, Suckling, Honeychurch, Dale

In: Murphy, Williams, Webb, Cloke, Young

B- Morris, Cordy, Wood
HB - Murphy, Young, JJ
C - Macrae, Wallis, Hunter
HF - Daniel, Cloke, Stringer
F - Dahlhaus, Boyd, Dickson
R - Roughead, Bont, Libba

Int - Wallis, Picken, Webb, Williams

I like your team, but I doubt Suckling will be dropped.

Mantis
20-06-2017, 11:14 AM
I like your team, but I doubt Suckling will be dropped.

I know he won't, doesn't mean he shouldn't... He is the new Eagleton!

bornadog
20-06-2017, 11:42 AM

:D:D

If we are keen to keep him in the team, I would like to see him play in the forward half of the ground. He is the worst one on one defender ever.

Nuggety Back Pocket
20-06-2017, 12:01 PM
:D:D

If we are keen to keep him in the team, I would like to see him play in the forward half of the ground. He is the worst one on one defender ever.

I agree with your assessment of Suckling. He did manage to kick goals with Hawthorn at half forward, which just might help to improve our poorly performing forward line. Murphy also becomes another forward option together with Redpath, who I would prefer to Cloke. We have placed too much reliance on Stringer and Dickson to kick goals and both have performed poorly in recent weeks.
We went too small last week and were monstered by the McDonald brothers and Watts.
In. Redpath Murphy Roberts and M. Boyd.
Out. Jong Honeychurch Dale and Dickson.

azabob
20-06-2017, 02:08 PM
Why are posters dropping Dale?

He brings a bit of leg speed, has good kicking skills and if he is forward he will kick a goal or two.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-06-2017, 02:14 PM
Why are posters dropping Dale?

He brings a bit of leg speed, has good kicking skills and if he is forward he will kick a goal or two.

I like Dale as a prospect, but I thought he was one of the guys who's performance typified our problems right now. He looked out of position off the ball, looked a bit slow in and out of traffic, players broke his tackle too easily, was very fumbly with hands on ground balls, and his disposal looked not up to scratch (55% Disposal Efficiency on 20 touches).

The Bulldogs Bite
20-06-2017, 05:55 PM
I like Dale as a prospect, but I thought he was one of the guys who's performance typified our problems right now. He looked out of position off the ball, looked a bit slow in and out of traffic, players broke his tackle too easily, was very fumbly with hands on ground balls, and his disposal looked not up to scratch (55% Disposal Efficiency on 20 touches).

While I agree Dale wasn't great, at this point I'd keep playing him. He's at least starting to find more of the ball and feel more comfortable at the level. On average, he is one of our better ball users.

I'd consider dropping Picken, who has been one of our worst performed this season but escaped criticism.

Cyberdoggie
20-06-2017, 06:53 PM
While I agree Dale wasn't great, at this point I'd keep playing him. He's at least starting to find more of the ball and feel more comfortable at the level. On average, he is one of our better ball users.

I'd consider dropping Picken, who has been one of our worst performed this season but escaped criticism.

he's an outside player who is there primarily because of his kicking ability, goal assists, and outside run.
These are mandatory, but you actually have to provide some level of defensive accountability as well and he just doesn't have that in his game. When things aren't going your way you just can't carry 4-5 guys that don't have that attribute in their game.

He had a couple of good opportunities as well but then blew it with poor passing that overshot it's target. Just didn't look comfortable with the physical pressure from both Sydney and Melbourne, and that is what you are going to get come finals time (if we make it.)

Cyberdoggie
20-06-2017, 07:04 PM
outs:

Honeychurch- looked out of his depth, was slow made bad skill errors and is not reliable by foot, especially around goals. Has a poor record of goal accuracy at VFL level and that doesn't easily correct itself or warrant him a spot in the AFL side. Maybe i'm being harsh but from that performance it was clear in my opinion that he's a decent VFL player but not AFL quality.

Jong - big loss to our variety in the middle.

Dale - He and Suckling are a bit Eagleton like where it's either good or bad and nothing in between. I think the team balance has been off and we need hard nuts in the side.

Suckling - Been poor all year. Get's caught with the ball at least once a game because he holds onto too long, and for his occasional nice kick there are 3 other disposals which are poor.

Ins:
Roberts - Only in because we will need another key defender against North. Unless they want to blood someone else.

Smith - Should always be in, he along with Dunks and Dickson were our best goal scorers in our finals run, 2 of them have been missing and the other can't get a touch. Brings some attitude and physical presence.

Boyd - Needed a run. Will be better after a good VFL game and hopefully add some senior voice the back

Murphy - need his line breaking and creativity

westdog54
20-06-2017, 09:06 PM
^^

CD, there's a fair chance Roberts will be out with a concussion. Would you be giving Collins a crack at it?

The Bulldogs Bite
20-06-2017, 10:48 PM
he's an outside player who is there primarily because of his kicking ability, goal assists, and outside run.
These are mandatory, but you actually have to provide some level of defensive accountability as well and he just doesn't have that in his game. When things aren't going your way you just can't carry 4-5 guys that don't have that attribute in their game.

He had a couple of good opportunities as well but then blew it with poor passing that overshot it's target. Just didn't look comfortable with the physical pressure from both Sydney and Melbourne, and that is what you are going to get come finals time (if we make it.)

You can't condemn Dale who is one of the few to show improvement on our list this year, yet name M Boyd as somebody who should be brought back in the same breath. Boyd has been a turnover king with an ordinary defensive game and a non-existent offensive game. He's been a warrior and was sensational last year, but he would need to string together 3-4 good weeks of VFL footy before I even consider him.

Besides - if you are going to drop Dale based on the last two games, then you must have about another 18 in front of him.

1eyedog
21-06-2017, 08:30 AM

Was waiting for it :D

soupman
21-06-2017, 08:55 AM
Dale - He and Suckling are a bit Eagleton like where it's either good or bad and nothing in between. I think the team balance has been off and we need hard nuts in the side.

I disagree. The balance is about right, it's just our midfield is so woefully out of form that it makes I difficult for us to do anything well.

If we remove Dale and Suckling we remove two of our very few good users in the side, making it far too unbalanced in favour of stacking it with slow to medium pace hard at it players. With those two out the only good users left in the side are JJ, Daniel, Bont, Libba, Dickson and Stringer (and even then Bont is horribly out of form, Libba plays more inside, and Dickson and Stringer have limited touches and are often under pressure due to terrible delivery).

W don't need more hard nuts in the side, we just need the ones we have to start performing.

Mantis
21-06-2017, 11:23 AM
I disagree. The balance is about right, it's just our midfield is so woefully out of form that it makes I difficult for us to do anything well.

If we remove Dale and Suckling we remove two of our very few good users in the side, making it far too unbalanced in favour of stacking it with slow to medium pace hard at it players. With those two out the only good users left in the side are JJ, Daniel, Bont, Libba, Dickson and Stringer (and even then Bont is horribly out of form, Libba plays more inside, and Dickson and Stringer have limited touches and are often under pressure due to terrible delivery).

W don't need more hard nuts in the side, we just need the ones we have to start performing.

We also need our 'outisde' players to start being effective with the ball almost every time they touch it, and both Suckling & Dale miles off from that occuring.. When your foot skills are your main (or only) weapon running at only 50% of kicks hitting the intended target isn't good enough.

The Adelaide Connection
21-06-2017, 03:00 PM
outs:

Honeychurch- looked out of his depth, was slow made bad skill errors and is not reliable by foot, especially around goals. Has a poor record of goal accuracy at VFL level and that doesn't easily correct itself or warrant him a spot in the AFL side. Maybe i'm being harsh but from that performance it was clear in my opinion that he's a decent VFL player but not AFL quality.

Mentioned it elsewhere, but I would give Honeychurch another week. He was far from our worst and it can't be easy to come in and play your best footy when it is your first game for a long time and the blokes around you are playing utter shite. I think the regulars have to put up their hands for letting him down and setting him up for failure. The two misses were costly at pivotal points in the game, but so were a thousand other skill errors/contests/decisions.

kruder
22-06-2017, 12:50 AM
Mentioned it elsewhere, but I would give Honeychurch another week. He was far from our worst and it can't be easy to come in and play your best footy when it is your first game for a long time and the blokes around you are playing utter shite. I think the regulars have to put up their hands for letting him down and setting him up for failure. The two misses were costly at pivotal points in the game, but so were a thousand other skill errors/contests/decisions.

Im more disappointed with his pressure. He lacks class we all know that, he at least has to bring manic pressure and considering he has been waiting a long time for an opportunity thought he was poor indeed on Sunday.

bornadog
22-06-2017, 09:55 AM
Im more disappointed with his pressure. He lacks class we all know that, he at least has to bring manic pressure and considering he has been waiting a long time for an opportunity thought he was poor indeed on Sunday.

On the plus side he had 4 tackles, along with his 20 disposals as well as getting himself in a position to kick 3 goals. I know he didn't get them but at least he positioned himself in the right spot.

I would like to see him play a few more games before I write him off - prior to Sunday, he hadn't played an AFL game for 12 months.

Mantis
22-06-2017, 10:12 AM
On the plus side he had 4 tackles, along with his 20 disposals as well as getting himself in a position to kick 3 goals. I know he didn't get them but at least he positioned himself in the right spot.

I would like to see him play a few more games before I write him off - prior to Sunday, he hadn't played an AFL game for 12 months.

He had 9 kicks.. at least 6 or 7 missed the intended target. Regardless of how long he's been out of AFL action for his ability to use the ball effectively by foot is his greatest knock... and it seems it hasn't improved.

Ozza
22-06-2017, 10:14 AM
My immediate/knee jerk reaction was "he's not up to it, he just doesn't handle the rise in class to senior footy, we're done".... but thinking about it a few days on - I think I would prefer to see us stick with Honeychurch for at least another game or two so that when it comes time to decide his future - we can do so with a very firm view on where he is at.

Happy Days
22-06-2017, 10:29 AM

Yeah inclined to agree. I was neck deep in the books so missed most of the game, but there was one play where Bont was looking to lead up at the ball, and Picken could do nothing except get in the way. It was just so sad.

I'm beginning to get worried about his contract becoming something of an albatross.

Mantis
22-06-2017, 10:47 AM
Yeah inclined to agree. I was neck deep in the books so missed most of the game, but there was one play where Bont was looking to lead up at the ball, and Picken could do nothing except get in the way. It was just so sad.

I'm beginning to get worried about his contract becoming something of an albatross.

Whilst his finals series was amazing I think we were seduced by this in offering a 2yr contract as his performances before & after this period have been poles apart... His form (or lack there of) at present is extremely concerning.

His kicking forward is horrible (bombs away!) and he can't win a contest... Has only kicked 4 goals in his last 10 games which isn't great for a guy who spends most of his time as a high forward.

Needs to lift.

Bulldog Joe
22-06-2017, 11:44 AM
Whilst his finals series was amazing I think we were seduced by this in offering a 2yr contract as his performances before & after this period have been poles apart... His form (or lack there of) at present is extremely concerning.

His kicking forward is horrible (bombs away!) and he can't win a contest... Has only kicked 4 goals in his last 10 games which isn't great for a guy who spends most of his time as a high forward.

Needs to lift.

Picken seems to have struggled since the concussion in round 3 (or maybe I am just looking for a reason). What has struck me most is how indecisive he has become. It now seems that he has no idea what he should do, when he has the ball and he just holds on until he is under extreme pressure and then turns it over.

Perhaps he needs to go back to doing a tagging job for a few games.

kruder
22-06-2017, 02:35 PM
In Campbell Webb
Out Jongy Honey

Campbell was an emergency last week and looks to have had another excellent performance hence I'd suggest he plays which gives us flexibility to play Boyd forward and or Roughead back for a period if they are getting ahold of our short defence. If Boyd is forward it also allows Bont more midfield minutes an area we are really struggling, they might be managing his body but its time to play him in the midfield. Zeibell and Cunnington always play well against us and its time to put our best contested ball players in Libba,Bont,Wallis,Dahl and Macrae in the guts for the majority.

The one bit of flexibility I'd really like to see is Webb come in and play anywhere but inside. We are really lacking class atm and Lucas can hit a target so either forward/back flank for mine and challenge him to have moire kicks than handballs.

The big question is will we bring in an extra tall defender and it looks like Coliins would be next inline with Roberts concussed but I'd put the heat on the mids to win the clearances and get back to locking the ball inside

westdog54
22-06-2017, 07:29 PM
In: Campbell, Redpath
Out: Boyd (Calf) Jong (Knee).

No forced changes.

LostDoggy
22-06-2017, 07:38 PM
Interesting... Brown Daw & Waite forward.. Morris, Cordy & Wood.

Does Roughy play back abit? Fletch a late in?

Rocket Science
22-06-2017, 07:39 PM
Sigh. Any chance Boyd could get a decent run at it?

Noting Norf have recalled Majak Daw. That shouldn't be cause for bother, but it is.

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-06-2017, 08:09 PM
In: Campbell, Redpath
Out: Boyd (Calf) Jong (Knee).

No forced changes.

Campbell and Redpath are good inclusions. On the downside we continue to select only one key defender in Cordy and the decision not to replace a midfielder for Jong is puzzling.

Rocket Science
22-06-2017, 08:55 PM

Does Roughy play back a bit? Fletch a late in?

This is a recipe for all kinds of face-palming fun.

If Campbell struggles against Goldstein and their tall forwards are monstering our mid-sized backs Roughy's in for a long night.

Inclined to start a book on how many contested marks Brown/Waite/Daw take.

Hope our mids are on...

josie
22-06-2017, 09:45 PM
Hope they give Honey a go on ball not just in forward line. Also hope he kicks straight this week. Hope Dale has a good game too, we need our good kickers and mid fielders to play well and Campbell to neutralise Goldy. Go Dogs!!

Ozza
22-06-2017, 10:57 PM

Does Roughy play back abit? Fletch a late in?

Gives us a good opportunity to get our half back run back into things.
As you suggest, Roughy goes back if it becomes a problem.

Ozza
22-06-2017, 11:05 PM
Campbell and Redpath are good inclusions. On the downside we continue to select only one key defender in Cordy and the decision not to replace a midfielder for Jong is puzzling.

I don't mind not replacing Jong with a mid this week NBP. I thought we were oversupplied for mids last week as it was, and had Bontempelli, Macrae, Hunter, Dahlhaus all playing considerable time forward or back - and this is with Jong on the bench nearly the whole game.

Pleased to see Redpath back as a specialist forward. Has kicked 38 goals in his last 18 games (ie. from his 10th career game until now), and has only gone goalless once in those 18 games. We're not overly blessed with goal kickers.

jeemak
22-06-2017, 11:09 PM
I don't mind not replacing Jong with a mid this week NBP. I thought we were oversupplied for mids last week as it was, and had Bontempelli, Macrae, Hunter, Dahlhaus all playing considerable time forward or back - and this is with Jong on the bench nearly the whole game.

Pleased to see Redpath back as a specialist forward. Has kicked 38 goals in his last 18 games (ie. from his 10th career game until now), and has only gone goalless once in those 18 games. We're not overly blessed with goal kickers.

I personally think this is where we're a bit up our own backsides selection and strategy wise, I guess it's hard to really know, but the impression I receive is we worry about what players like Red and TC can't do more so than what they can and our structure suffers for it.

Ozza
22-06-2017, 11:11 PM
I personally think this is where we're a bit up our own backsides selection and strategy wise, I guess it's hard to really know, but the impression I receive is we worry about what players like Red and TC can't do more so than what they can and our structure suffers for it.

Maybe we could go in with some structure - rather than everyone rotating through the positions every 5 minutes.

merantau
22-06-2017, 11:14 PM
Daw kicked 6 against us a few years ago. We simply have to be first to the ball and bring relentless pressure. I expect Campbell to do well against Goldy and I'm happy to see Big Jack back.
Bad luck for Tom Boyd. I hope it's not serious as calf injuries can take weeks to get over.

jeemak
22-06-2017, 11:32 PM
Maybe we could go in with some structure - rather than everyone rotating through the positions every 5 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0X0ZYbnHxA

bornadog
23-06-2017, 11:43 AM
Bevo Weekly Press Conference:

* Travis probably has, there's plenty of support and assistance around. Wrap our arms around him, get him to start enjoying footy again.

* It's up to Travis; if training & staying in program helps - come into the Club . If he needs the time away, we allow that.

* There's a passion in our game we want our players to have. Lets focus on getting Trav back so he can enjoy his career.

* We live in communities where everyone is not concerned with mental health, understand some will take pot shots. You hope people will learn.

* There's always tension at workplaces, at dinner table. For it to be beat up into big issue is disappointing.

* We don't want the game to end up like paparazzi. They're young, maturing - pressure is more year and year.

* Not worried, that's reality we may not find form. Need to focus on things that made us beat good teams.

* It's consistent in what we being doing, couple of injuries/changes. Not sure on Tom Boyd, not a bad calf. Conservative.

* It's there. Concerned? I think about, that's why we gotta take things we can control for good performance. We know what works.

* Bob Murphy is a chance for next week.

always right
23-06-2017, 12:03 PM
Changes make sense.....Campbell has a pretty good record against Goldstein. I don't get too worked up about changes anymore.....we simply need our best players to find form.

Cyberdoggie
23-06-2017, 04:31 PM
Changes make sense.....Campbell has a pretty good record against Goldstein. I don't get too worked up about changes anymore.....we simply need our best players to find form.
Yeah I don't see anyone player making a huge difference, although I would like to understand what Clay Smith isn't doing exactly that is keeping him out of the side.

bornadog
23-06-2017, 04:33 PM
Yeah I don't see anyone player making a huge difference, although I would like to understand what Clay Smith isn't doing exactly that is keeping him out of the side.

Clay has been very ordinary this year. Probably has played one good quarter.

soupman
23-06-2017, 05:58 PM

What has Clay done this year that earns him a spot in the side. Underwhelming at best at AFL level, and has been quiet in the VFL as far as I'm aware.

1eyedog
23-06-2017, 06:16 PM
What has Clay done this year that earns him a spot in the side. Underwhelming at best at AFL level, and has been quiet in the VFL as far as I'm aware.

Yep it would just be more musical chairs rather than an earned spot. With HC at least you can say he earned a few weeks given his consistently good VFL form.

Eastdog
23-06-2017, 07:32 PM
Hoping Jack does well and gives us something up forward.

Remi Moses
24-06-2017, 06:24 PM
After watching today's vfl game , I can't understand why we are not playing Roberts in this game