PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 16, 2017 vs Adelaide

Eastdog
23-05-2017, 09:16 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 16, 2017 match against Adelaide at Adelaide Oval?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
01-07-2017, 03:18 PM
Bump

The Bulldogs Bite
01-07-2017, 04:43 PM
JJ - get out.

bulldogtragic
01-07-2017, 05:22 PM
Outs: JJ, Suckling, Honey, Dickson
Ins: Toyd, Williams, Webb, Libba

DOG GOD
01-07-2017, 05:23 PM
Out - Western Bulldogs
In - Footscray

westbulldog
01-07-2017, 05:59 PM
Outs: JJ, Suckling, Honey, Dickson
Ins: Toyd, Williams, Webb, Libba

agreed

josie
01-07-2017, 06:09 PM
Out: Campbell, Honeychurch, Dickson, Suckling, JJ

In: TBoyd, Lipinski, Webb, Williams, Libba

G-Mo77
01-07-2017, 06:18 PM
No Roberts? What has he done wrong? Have I missed something? Our defence is just letting every team score. Beaten in the air for many weeks now. Roughy just has not helped as much as I'd hoped.

I'm clueless at what they think on selections. We seem to be stubborn with our selection and gameplan ie: No ruck, no tag etc. Nothing wrong with trying something that traditionally can work. Not everything needs to be outside of the box.

Suckling continues to get picked? How its beyond me? Dixon is a shadow out there, how did he get selected?

God I'm ranting now. Time to get back in the road and get home.

bulldogtragic
01-07-2017, 06:19 PM
Is there a sub-thread of not only which to players to bring in, but where to play them? Selecting the 22 is anyone's guess, but selecting them in like, what do you call it, their best positions on the field changes the Complexion of selecting 22 players.

josie
01-07-2017, 06:21 PM
Good call GMo77. With Crows tall forwards he has to be called up.

LostDoggy
01-07-2017, 06:23 PM
It's hard to know how to make this side competitive for a full. Seems to be that nearly every player at times is just toiling.

Remi Moses
01-07-2017, 06:27 PM
I'll just give the outs at this stage
Suckling( looks poor when a team is going poorly ) Dickson ( might as well be jogging around the park )
Honeychurch ( just isn't up to it ) JJ ( needs to go back to get some confidence ) Campbell or Roughead .

always right
01-07-2017, 07:12 PM
They can make whatever changes they like as it's simply moving the deck chairs. I've simply lost interest. Going to be a long remainder of the season.

G-Mo77
01-07-2017, 08:07 PM
Good call GMo77. With Crows tall forwards he has to be called up.

They'll bring in a HBF to cover

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-07-2017, 08:35 PM
As Bevo said in the presser, with Footscray playing tomorrow it only gives them 5 days til our game against the Crows.
If we were to bring any in I'd suspect it would be experienced guys who have the fitness to back up on a short recovery.
We may only see a fresh Libba be selected and maybe Matty Boyd.

Ideally I'd like to see another strong performance from Fletcher, Collins, M and T Boyd, Webb & Smith.

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-07-2017, 09:17 PM
We sadly lacked a physical presence today with WCE simply too big and strong. Campbell has dominated the hit outs in the past two games but we struggle at ground level. Our midfield defence and forward lines all need reorganising. Roughead has been a fill in defender at best and would be better served to assist Campbell in the rucking and spending time as a marking forward. Roberts and Cordy are well capable of being our key defenders. Williams provided pace in his very few senior opportunities and deserves to play at the expense of Suckling. Roughead and Murphy on the forward line would give us experience and possibly more goalkicking options.
Our midfield lacks grunt and I would like to see Matthew Boyd who can find the ball and Liberatore provide the sort of leadership that is desperately needed. Big bodied players are now the order of the day and Dahlhaus is one who has been taking a battering and does his best work at half forward. A number on Woof have called for JJ to be dropped but his recent form has lapsed together with many of his teammates. I think he should be retained as one of our few quick players in a team that lacks overall speed. This is a big factor in recalling Williams who is capable of breaking the lines.
So this is the team I would select next week.
B. Biggs Roberts Williams
HB Wood Cordy JJ
C Hunter Liberatore Macrae
HF Murphy Roughead Dahlhaus
F Picken Redpath Stringer
R Campbell Bontempelli Wallis
Int M Boyd Daniel Dale McLean
In. Roberts Williams Liberatore MBoyd
Out. Suckling Dickson Honeychurch Morris

merantau
01-07-2017, 09:30 PM
Matty Boyd in for Suckling who is mega slow to get boot to ball, ordinary one-on-one and has too many rabbit in the headlights moments in traffic.

I would not drop JJ. He needs to work it out for himself. But, by the same token, so do the umpires. Did I see them warn any Cokers today? No. He was paid one free kick for a push.

Dickson needs to find form in the VFL. Good player but a shadow of last year.
Webb and Williams, Tom Boyd, Libba - all must be considered

Doc26
01-07-2017, 09:46 PM
Five day break makes it difficult as does travelling away to play the Crows but I'm hoping that one of our recruits like Lipinski or Young really pushes their case tomorrow against Collingwood. Time to reward some effort and inject some energy in and call out those bludging.

Sedat
01-07-2017, 09:52 PM
Hamilton a chance this week? From the sounds we desperately need an injection of skillful disposal by foot into the team. I know Suckers is a whipping boy and not without merit, but we have some serious issues with many of our mids who cannot kick over a jam tin - Dahl, Wally, Hunter, HC and Picko just don't hurt the opposition at all.

Bullies
01-07-2017, 10:22 PM
Hamilton a chance this week? From the sounds we desperately need an injection of skillful disposal by foot into the team. I know Suckers is a whipping boy and not without merit, but we have some serious issues with many of our mids who cannot kick over a jam tin - Dahl, Wally, Hunter, HC and Picko just don't hurt the opposition at all. Picken is in trouble. He is looking for contact in each contest hoping for a free. That is a sure sign you are out of form. Why they didnt put him or Stringer on Gaff is beyond me. Sloane will find form next week if we don't tag.

bulldogtragic
01-07-2017, 10:27 PM
Picken is in trouble. He is looking for contact in each contest hoping for a free. That is a sure sign you are out of form. Why they didnt put him or Stringer on Gaff is beyond me. Sloane will find form next week if we don't tag.

There's no 'if'. We don't tag Kennedy, nor Selwood, nor Dangerfield, nor Gaff, nor anyone up to and including Sloane. I don't know why, but we might to to slow him as he gets to 40 touches and 4 goals.

kruder
01-07-2017, 11:11 PM
Out Honey and Suckling

In Roberts and Libba

Libba is slightly lucky in the sense that the VFL play Sunday hence unlikely many will get a game off the back of a 5 day turnaround. We were killed inside and unfortunately Honey isn't an AFL footballer.

Roberts to play back which means Roughead can play ruck/forward and allows Redpath to play deep all night. Suckling out has been average at best for a while now and we have far too many HBF that are poor defensively in our team.

Many players on notice but you cant drop them all.

EasternWest
01-07-2017, 11:23 PM
Hamilton a chance this week? From the sounds we desperately need an injection of skillful disposal by foot into the team. I know Suckers is a whipping boy and not without merit, but we have some serious issues with many of our mids who cannot kick over a jam tin - Dahl, Wally, Hunter, HC and Picko just don't hurt the opposition at all.

We need to look beyond what Suckling occasionally does by foot. He's borderline shameful in every other facet of the game. He's a whipping boy for good reason. Must go.

GVGjr
02-07-2017, 01:32 AM

I'd say he is a huge chance to play. Smith and Roberts as well.

SlimPickens
02-07-2017, 10:30 AM
Out: Roughead, Suckling, JJ, Honey
In: Roberts, Libba, Moyd, Toyd

Can't see any value in Roughy as a defender. JJ is unable to deal with the extra attention so he doesnt play in my mind, Suckling goes as I can't see how he helps the side. Honey not doing enough.

Going to be a tough night in Adelaide if our team defence continues to be poor.

Go_Dogs
02-07-2017, 11:25 AM
Out: Honeychurch

In: Roberts

Roughead forward, Roberts back.

I don't mind HC but his disposal and lack of willingness to want to take a shot on goal was noticeable yesterday. There's a few others who I'd have in the mix to go back to VFL level like Suckers, but can't see us making significant changes.

Rocco Jones
02-07-2017, 11:47 AM
Out: Honey, Suckling, Dickson
In: Roberts, M.Boyd, Libba

Seems like there is a different rule at the moment for Suckling and Dickson.

bornadog
02-07-2017, 11:54 AM
I will wait till today's game, but outs for me are:

* Dickson - should never have played yesterday after a woeful few weeks. needs to find form at VFL level,

* Honeychurch - blotted his good game from last week, although against North he was quiet in the second half which continued on to yesterday

* Dale Morris - yes a controversial one. Cordy ready to takeover his mantle, Roberts to Fullback.

Possible ins from:

Tom Boyd, Roberts, Williams, Clay Smith, Libba.

Remi Moses
02-07-2017, 11:56 AM
I will wait till today's game, but outs for me are:

* Dickson - should never have played yesterday after a woeful few weeks. needs to find form at VFL level,

* Honeychurch - blotted his good game from last week, although against North he was quiet in the second half which continued on to yesterday

* Dale Morris - yes a controversial one.

Possible ins from:

Tom Boyd, Roberts, Williams, Clay Smith, Libba.

Going to be hard today as it's only a 5 day break. I can see whoever isn't playing today saddling up Friday night

bornadog
02-07-2017, 12:05 PM
Going to be hard today as it's only a 5 day break. I can see whoever isn't playing today saddling up Friday night

Tom Boyd is only playing limited time, Libba isn't playing, so hopefully will have recovered.

Happy Days
02-07-2017, 12:18 PM
I'm gonna go to the twos today because I need to feel good about football again, but I would unconditionally be dropping Dickson and Honeychurch. They just are having no impact whatsoever; Dickson needs to regain some confidence and touch (if it's there to regain), and if Hrovat's form last year was enough to get him blacklisted then I would assume we won't see Honey again.

It seems I don't think Dale Morris is as finished as you guys do. He got torched yesterday but he wasn't alone, and as much as I like to pretend he's a joke Darling isn't *totally* a garbage player. I think his place in the side is safe.

Hamilton is a big chance to debut if he plays well today. As should be anyone who is actually willing to kick goals.

josie
02-07-2017, 02:30 PM
Pretty sure Hamilton will not improve our seniors side. Happy to be proven wrong and as Adelaide is his home state a possibility. Williams and Webb should be in seniors way before Hamilton. I would play all of NMM, Greene and Young, and Prudden before him.

lemmon
02-07-2017, 09:23 PM
In- T Boyd (if fit), Roberts, Collins, Libba, Webb

Out- JJ, Suckling, Dickson, Roughead, Honeychurch

The Crows play tall and I'm happy to reward Collins and Roberts who have put together a few solid weeks at Footscray.

Boyd plays 80-20 ruck forward.

I want to see what Webb's got to give at AFL level so I'd lock him in for 6 weeks.

LostDoggy
02-07-2017, 09:46 PM
I want Clay and Libba in for cows game, suckers and honey can miss.

hujsh
02-07-2017, 09:47 PM
At the moment it seems like Campbell-Boyd is potentially a better combo than Roughead-Boyd.

Roughead doesn't seem likely to shoulder the Ruck for more than 50% game time and isn't a very good forward while Boyd could be a better forward with more time there and less energy spent competing in the ruck. Campbell has also shown decent hands these last two weeks compared to when he was last in the team which helps offset the loss of Roughead (though he hasn't shown much in aerial contests this year).

Add Redpath to this as the 1 permanent key forward and I think we have a better balance with the big men.

Nuggety Back Pocket
02-07-2017, 10:50 PM
Out: Honey, Suckling, Dickson
In: Roberts, M.Boyd, Libba

Seems like there is a different rule at the moment for Suckling and Dickson.
Agree with your sentiments on Suckling and Dickson and would place Stringer in the same category. Apart from the odd good game Jake has been a major disappointment. I would leave him out and make a fourth change by rewarding Bailey Williams who was quoted as being our best today for Footscray.

angelopetraglia
03-07-2017, 11:53 AM
We definitely need some additional intensity at the contest. Would like to see Clay (whose form has been good in the VFL) and Libba back.

Ozza
03-07-2017, 12:06 PM
Out: Roughead, Suckling, Honeychurch, Dickson, Picken (didn't look great - sore knee previous week - give him a freshen up).
In: Roberts, Williams, Libba, Smith, Tom Boyd.

Would like to see Smith play a role on Laird.

I'm sure we won't do what every other club has successfully done and tag Sloane. But Libba to run with him. Shuts Sloane down on the outside, and we still get Libba at the stoppages, which is all he can do right now anyway. But we will be too smart(stubborn) to tag Sloane, because it will 'take away from what we are trying to do as a team'.

hlnbidoffer
03-07-2017, 12:28 PM
God, what a disaster this season has become...

Looking at the VFL, there was hardly anyone shooting the lights out justifying selection.

Ins: Libba, Roberts, Hamilton, Williams, Webb
Outs: Dickson, Roughead, Honeychurch, JJ, Suckling

Given where we are, I'd be inclined to just get games into some of the younger guys, particularly Webb. He has shown glimpses throughout the season and just needs more time in the side. M Boyd has been racking it up but as sad as it is, he won't be there next year so we need to play someone who is.

Also, Stringer should be put on notice, if he doesn't perform this week he'll be playing VFL for the rest of the season. Unless of course we need trade currency for him.

Ozza
03-07-2017, 12:32 PM
I'd like to see us play T.Boyd and Redpath deepest in the forward line - and have Stringer play a high half forward, get him into the game.

Dickson has been terrific for us when he has had pre-seasons and continuity in his footy - but clearly doesn't cope with injury interrupted preparations. I wouldn't be playing him until he starts moving a whole lot better, he just can't get himself free and in the right spots at the moment.

Mantis
03-07-2017, 02:11 PM
Wasn't going to bother because I'm getting beyong caring now, but for shits & goggles:

IN - T.Boyd, Liberatore, Smith, Webb, Roberts
OUT - Roughead, Honeychurch, Dickson, Picken, Wallis

DragzLS1
03-07-2017, 02:22 PM
ins: Smith, Libba and Williams
outs: Suckling, Dickson and Honey

Can have too many changes with the 5 day turn around for the VFL team
Stringer in the guts sometime in the first qtr to get his hands on the ball early, JJ to start the game forward, Libba to have 18 tackles...in the first half! And then we win by 73 points to show the competition we are back and we mean business.

bulldogsthru&thru
03-07-2017, 02:44 PM
Are we in any danger of tagging Sloane? The tactic that has shut him down for over a month? Or will we stick to our strategy of not tagging players and allow him to rack up 40 possessions and a few goals. Dangerfield and Gaff style.

Mofra
03-07-2017, 02:51 PM
Smith had 16 tackles on the weekend - automatic selection this week for mine.

Dickson was woeful so he's out, no idea who else is really putting their hand up right now.

1eyedog
03-07-2017, 03:09 PM
Smith had 16 tackles on the weekend - automatic selection this week for mine.

Dickson was woeful so he's out, no idea who else is really putting their hand up right now.

I remember a few weeks ago Toby (I think) had 16 tackles and still wasn't selected for two weeks. But yes, given our current plight I think Smith should come in with Williams and Suckling and Honey need to make way.

LostDoggy
03-07-2017, 05:06 PM
Are we in any danger of tagging Sloane? The tactic that has shut him down for over a month? Or will we stick to our strategy of not tagging players and allow him to rack up 40 possessions and a few goals. Dangerfield and Gaff style.

How could we not given the body of evidence? Why wouldn't we try to slow Gaff down at half time?

Does anyone think we shouldn't tag Sloane? If so why?

soupman
03-07-2017, 05:39 PM
Wasn't going to bother because I'm getting beyong caring now, but for shits & goggles:

IN - T.Boyd, Liberatore, Smith, Webb, Roberts
OUT - Roughead, Honeychurch, Dickson, Picken, Wallis

The rest I understand but why Wallis?

always right
03-07-2017, 06:28 PM
Reckon there might be a couple of names dropped this week.

In:
Roberts, Smith, Webb, Libba

Out:
Stringer, Dickson, Honeychurch, Roughy,

Rocco Jones
03-07-2017, 06:52 PM
Webb and Tom Boyd missed VFL due to injury rather than being rested.

What I want to see happen...

In: Roberts, Libba, Clay, M.Boyd
Out: Honeychurch, Dickson, Suckling, Roughy

What I think will happen...

No change or Libba for Honey.

always right
03-07-2017, 06:55 PM
Webb and Tom Boyd missed VFL due to injury rather than being rested.

What I want to see happen...

In: Roberts, Libba, Clay, M.Boyd
Out: Honeychurch, Dickson, Suckling, Roughy

What I think will happen...

No change or Libba for Honey.
Are you sure about Webb? The media reported he was pulled out to have him available for Adelaide on the back of the short break.

Rocco Jones
03-07-2017, 07:01 PM
Are you sure about Webb? The media reported he was pulled out to have him available for Adelaide on the back of the short break.

Bulldogs injury update said he has an ankle injury.

SonofScray
03-07-2017, 07:33 PM
Bevo patted Roberts on the back at 3/4 time and then the 2s coach pulled him from the game. Pretty sure he said "you're in. Sid."

GVGjr
03-07-2017, 07:36 PM
In Roberts, T.Boyd and Liberatore (Smith)
Out Roughead, Dickson and Honeychurch

azabob
03-07-2017, 07:38 PM
Tom Boyd is still on limited training load. Be a risk to bring him in.

Rocco Jones
03-07-2017, 07:43 PM
Bevo patted Roberts on the back at 3/4 time and then the 2s coach pulled him from the game. Pretty sure he said "you're in. Sid."

Is that right? Definitely think he is in then.

SonofScray
03-07-2017, 08:06 PM
Is that right? Definitely think he is in then.

I was close enough to sniff Bevo's luscious yet wispy hair, if he didn't have a massive black, hooded jacket on with the hood up looking like a member of some Scottish 4th division football hooligan firm. Not quite prepared to put the house on it but confident in what I observed.

Rocco Jones
03-07-2017, 08:09 PM
I was close enough to sniff Bevo's luscious yet wispy hair, if he didn't have a massive black, hooded jacket on with the hood up looking like a member of some Scottish 4th division football hooligan firm. Not quite prepared to put the house on it but confident in what I observed.

More about the missing the fourth quarter without being injured than the pat on the back.

ratsmac
03-07-2017, 11:59 PM
Out
Dickson - horribly out of form. It's a shame because he likes kicking a bag against Adelaide.

Honeychurch - He just can't step up to AFL level for some reason. Probably just not good enough.

Suckling - I struggle to see what value he adds to the team if he can't create and hit targets with his so called great foot skill. He's as soft as they come.

Ins
Roberts - I, like others aren't sure why he got dropped in the first place.

Smith - replaces Dickson for forward line pressure. Hopefully kicks a few. If the 5 day break is too much for him then Libba.

Williams - we need to get games into this kid. Replaces Suckling.

Others are extremely lucky because we can't drop 10 players. JJ, Roughead and Stringer really need to find form quickly for their own sake but more importantly the teams sake. We simply cannot afford passengers.

bornadog
04-07-2017, 10:23 AM
Out
Dickson - horribly out of form. It's a shame because he likes kicking a bag against Adelaide.

Honeychurch - He just can't step up to AFL level for some reason. Probably just not good enough.

Suckling - I struggle to see what value he adds to the team if he can't create and hit targets with his so called great foot skill. He's as soft as they come.

Ins
Roberts - I, like others aren't sure why he got dropped in the first place.

Smith - replaces Dickson for forward line pressure. Hopefully kicks a few. If the 5 day break is too much for him then Libba.

Williams - we need to get games into this kid. Replaces Suckling.

Others are extremely lucky because we can't drop 10 players. JJ, Roughead and Stringer really need to find form quickly for their own sake but more importantly the teams sake. We simply cannot afford passengers.

I would go with this. Like you said, after only a 5 day break from the VFL, really can't make too many changes. I doubt Tom Boyd will be ready, calf injuries seem to take awhile to heal.

Cyberdoggie
04-07-2017, 06:48 PM
Out:
Honeychurch,- Doesn't have the skills as a small forward, and can't play anywhere else either.

Roughead - Was woeful as a defender last week. Slow, soft and was a liability. Made Darling look awesome.
Campbell is clearly better as a ruck at the moment and I don't think we can play both of them.

Suckling - How many free passes does he get? He's a liability as a defender, turns the ball over 2 out of 3 kicks, gets caught with the ball and offers no line breaking ability. If he's not nailing his kicks, he costs us 2 goals a game IMO. (Creates 1, causes 3)

In
Fletcher - Is also slow but a decent defender and we are really needing some stability in tall defenders at the moment. Not ideal match up against the quick and tall Adelaide forwards but might be able to read the ball better to compensate.

Smith - How does he not get a game. Smith, Dunkley and Cordy's forward pressure was a huge factor in us winning a premiership last year, and they have hardly been seen all year up forward together (for obvious reasons). Hence we are not keeping the ball up forward and we are getting smashed on the turnovers and fast break goals. How many easy run in goals did the eagles kick against us last week!
Smith kicks goals from nothing and he's hard as nails. He should be in every week.

Williams - Far more reliable than Suckling and has great awareness. Needs to play and learn from Bob while he's still around.

Sadly I don't think any changes are going to make too differences as opposition teams have worked us out, and know to apply pressure on our handball receive targets to stop our ball movement. As a result our confidence in moving the ball is really low so we get apprehensive and make mistakes.
We don't have a plan B because we can't kick the ball long to tall targets as we are a one of the worst contested marking teams in the comp, so when plan A falls apart, so does our chances.

chef
04-07-2017, 07:04 PM
Really not looking forward to this game as we going going to get pantsed.

My Faith is just about shot.

1eyedog
04-07-2017, 09:41 PM
Really not looking forward to this game as we going going to get pantsed.

My Faith is just about shot.

It will be horrible. Every team brings their A game against us.

kruder
04-07-2017, 09:54 PM
Out:
Honeychurch,- Doesn't have the skills as a small forward, and can't play anywhere else either.

Roughead - Was woeful as a defender last week. Slow, soft and was a liability. Made Darling look awesome.
Campbell is clearly better as a ruck at the moment and I don't think we can play both of them.

Suckling - How many free passes does he get? He's a liability as a defender, turns the ball over 2 out of 3 kicks, gets caught with the ball and offers no line breaking ability. If he's not nailing his kicks, he costs us 2 goals a game IMO. (Creates 1, causes 3)

In
Fletcher - Is also slow but a decent defender and we are really needing some stability in tall defenders at the moment. Not ideal match up against the quick and tall Adelaide forwards but might be able to read the ball better to compensate.

Smith - How does he not get a game. Smith, Dunkley and Cordy's forward pressure was a huge factor in us winning a premiership last year, and they have hardly been seen all year up forward together (for obvious reasons). Hence we are not keeping the ball up forward and we are getting smashed on the turnovers and fast break goals. How many easy run in goals did the eagles kick against us last week!
Smith kicks goals from nothing and he's hard as nails. He should be in every week.

Williams - Far more reliable than Suckling and has great awareness. Needs to play and learn from Bob while he's still around.

Sadly I don't think any changes are going to make too differences as opposition teams have worked us out, and know to apply pressure on our handball receive targets to stop our ball movement. As a result our confidence in moving the ball is really low so we get apprehensive and make mistakes.
We don't have a plan B because we can't kick the ball long to tall targets as we are a one of the worst contested marking teams in the comp, so when plan A falls apart, so does our chances.

So your happy with Redpath/mid for second ruck again?

Rocket Science
04-07-2017, 10:03 PM
It will be horrible. Every team brings their A game against us.

This wouldn't be such a problem if we were remotely inclined to return the favour.

Expecting Walker & Betts to dine out on us.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-07-2017, 10:04 PM
In: Jake Lever

.. sorry, couldn't resist!

S Coast Simon
04-07-2017, 10:11 PM
We just might go alright in this one. We are now officially the hunter again which we seem to do a lot better at. I will save my judgement till after this one last hurrah. Come on boys don't go without a fight

MrMahatma
04-07-2017, 11:32 PM
I'll be at my first ever match in Adelaide.

I'll have some sorrows to drown on Coopers I reckon.

1eyedog
05-07-2017, 02:08 AM
I'll be at my first ever match in Adelaide.

I'll have some sorrows to drown on Coopers I reckon.

Fingers crossed for you. Nothing better than going interstate and seeing a win. The Crows are very beatable, but we couldn't beat a jam lid at the moment.

Eastdog
05-07-2017, 02:15 AM
Fingers crossed for you. Nothing better than going interstate and seeing a win. The Crows are very beatable, but we couldn't beat a jam lid at the moment.

I just hope we come out from the start with great pressure and intensity and keep it up for the entire game really giving ourselves the best chance to get a win.

Agree 1eyedog interstate wins are great (we haven't had one this year) and if we can somehow get this one against are team who has been right up there so far this year then that could be the start of something.

MrMahatma
05-07-2017, 11:40 AM
I just hope we come out from the start with great pressure and intensity and keep it up for the entire game really giving ourselves the best chance to get a win.

Agree 1eyedog interstate wins are great (we haven't had one this year) and if we can somehow get this one against are team who has been right up there so far this year then that could be the start of something.

Given it's all or nothing now, it's probably the perfect time to play a flag fancy on their home deck. If we win, we get belief. If we lose, well we'd prob lose to the Lions at Etihad with half their team out anyway...

bornadog
05-07-2017, 12:15 PM
Well Tom Boyd won't be playing.

MrMahatma
05-07-2017, 01:05 PM
Well Tom Boyd won't be playing.

It's an unsurprisingly common problem for young men in the spotlight. Hopefully he's quick to recover.

No doubt all of our squad are feeling more pressure than ever now, with expectation being at its highest point in decades this year. Hopefully they can all pull together in the one direction.

Nuggety Back Pocket
05-07-2017, 01:32 PM
So your happy with Redpath/mid for second ruck again?

Redpath was clueless as a ruck man last week and should never be moved from his leading forward role. The obvious move would be to have Roughead move back to his rightful ruck position changing with Campbell, with Roughead being used as a key forward when resting. This would allow Roberts to replace Roughy in defence.

bornadog
05-07-2017, 01:46 PM
My new thoughts

In: Roberts, Smith

Out: Dickson, Honeychurch

Nuggety Back Pocket
05-07-2017, 02:00 PM
My new thoughts

In: Roberts, Smith

Out: Dickson, Honeychurch

Given the poor form of both Dickson and Stringer up forward I would prefer to see them both go back to the VFL. Our forward line has become to static on our over reliance on these two players. Murphy to half forward, together with Roughead playing as a marking forward with occasional changes in the ruck with Campbell, should provide more options going forward.

MrMahatma
05-07-2017, 02:02 PM
Given the poor form of both Dickson and Stringer up forward I would prefer to see them both go back to the VFL. Our forward line has become to static on our over reliance on these two players. Murphy to half forward, together with Roughead playing as a marking forward with occasional changes in the ruck with Campbell, should provide more options going forward.

Campbell needs to get his kicking boots on. Is a marking threat and absolutely 0 scoreboard threat.

kruder
05-07-2017, 02:32 PM
Redpath was clueless as a ruck man last week and should never be moved from his leading forward role. The obvious move would be to have Roughead move back to his rightful ruck position changing with Campbell, with Roughead being used as a key forward when resting. This would allow Roberts to replace Roughy in defence.

Hear Hear.

Convincing Bevo to play a genuine Ruckman, a tall leap up forward and a forward/ruck in the same team looks to be a difficult one.

1eyedog
05-07-2017, 02:38 PM

Stringer gets one more week. This is our last roll of the dice and he likes playing Adelaide. If we lose this one it doesn't matter who we play from here on in. Actually if we lose this one we should be bringing in Webb and Williams until the end of the year.

DragzLS1
05-07-2017, 06:07 PM
I dont know why, but am slowly growing more and more confident about this one... Backs against the wall sort of stuff, 2 key players going through depression and made it public, the constant slamming of JJ being tagged and soft.. Its one of those games that a Libba wold come in to, snap at goal from a forward 50 stoppage in the dieing seconds of the game only to be a score review, then confirmed goal to win by 1 point.. Setting up the beleif and momentum the team has been waiting for all season to go all the way again..

always right
05-07-2017, 06:19 PM
I dont know why, but am slowly growing more and more confident about this one... Backs against the wall sort of stuff, 2 key players going through depression and made it public, the constant slamming of JJ being tagged and soft.. Its one of those games that a Libba wold come in to, snap at goal from a forward 50 stoppage in the dieing seconds of the game only to be a score review, then confirmed goal to win by 1 point.. Setting up the beleif and momentum the team has been waiting for all season to go all the way again..
And Adelaide declaring that they won't be taking the same aggressive approach with JJ.

The Adelaide Connection
06-07-2017, 01:03 AM
Adelaide has had 20mm in the last two days with up to another 5mm coming tomorrow and then again early Friday. Weatherzone has it sitting at 40% likelihood from 6pm on at this stage.

Does this change our selections? Does this help us considering their plethora of talls? We inexplicably brought in extra bigs against Sydney in wet conditions and it was horrible to watch Cloke struggle through the game. Could we set up with a small forward line + Redpath/resting ruck and aim to get it to ground and swarm? The wet might take away the intercept marking of Lever, Talia, etc

I am not convinced the wet will help us. I am not convinced anything will help us. But at the same time this could be the game that starts our season. Fingers crossed.

1eyedog
06-07-2017, 01:30 AM

By Friday afternoon I won't see how we could possibly lose!

bornadog
06-07-2017, 10:46 AM
Stevo reporting Dickson will be dropped this week.

always right
06-07-2017, 11:00 AM
Stevo reporting Dickson will be dropped this week.
No surprise. Never a big possession gatherer, if he's not kicking goals he is under pressure to hold his spot.

S Coast Simon
06-07-2017, 12:58 PM
It makes me angry watching our boys getting bumped around. I don't care what Simpson thinks but bumping a man in the back is a coward act. It's as low as it get hitting a person from behind. We need to load up on some tough guys this weekend. Get M Boyd and Smith back in the side and if anyone gets carried away this weekend. Run through them. Don't worry about a free kick or maybe a report. Someone needs to enforce the team. Say what you want about Boyd loosing he touch. He still stands up and takes what he has to for the team. Can't remember what game it was but he got smashed going back with the flight of the ball. Went to the bench got some stitches and ran back on and took a mark running back with the flight. Nearly got smashed again but instead took the mark and played on straight away. Adelaide are big boys we need to match them a little better at it

Cyberdoggie
06-07-2017, 06:18 PM
To beat Adelaide you have to beat them at the coal face. Nullify Sloane and dominate in the middle.

Unfortunately we have stunk in this area all year. if we can't win in the middle they will tear us a new one with their speed
and efficiency up forward. We will be complaining about how slow our defenders are again but really the problems are more upfield.

We need first use and for once we need to move the ball forward quickly and efficiently, give our forwards a chance.

Please don't play Roughead in defence again. If he and Campbell can't fit in together then we can't play both.

bornadog
06-07-2017, 06:22 PM
Libba has to come in this week and play the game of his life.

bornadog
06-07-2017, 07:26 PM
IN: M. Boyd, T. Liberatore, F. Roberts. C. Smith
OUT: R. Murphy (hamstring), T. Campbell (abdominal strain), S. Biggs (calf), T. Dickson (omitted)

lemmon
06-07-2017, 07:29 PM
Another hamstring for Bob. His body may answer the question about next year for him.

bulldogtragic
06-07-2017, 07:30 PM
Bob with a second hammy issue, plus a knee issue too. If there was doubt that this is sadly his final year this confirms it. I've never wanted to see him end his career, but repeat injuries are the curse of the aging footballer.

kruder
06-07-2017, 07:48 PM
ahhh great another week with a midget playing second ruck

Remi Moses
06-07-2017, 07:51 PM
Pretty sad seeing Bob finish like this
Being a night game and some rain around not such a bad thing having the one ruck .
Couple of players coming off a 5 day break and at Boyd's age I'm a bit surprised.
Dickson's run out of chances

chef
06-07-2017, 07:53 PM
IN: M. Boyd, T. Liberatore, F. Roberts. C. Smith
OUT: R. Murphy (hamstring), T. Campbell (abdominal strain), S. Biggs (calf), T. Dickson (omitted)

Some good ins and some big outs.

Rocco Jones
06-07-2017, 07:55 PM
ahhh great another week with a midget playing second ruck

Much rather Redpath playing second ruck than Roughy playing as a key-defender.

kruder
06-07-2017, 07:58 PM
Pretty sad seeing Bob finish like this
Being a night game and some rain around not such a bad thing having the one ruck .
Couple of players coming off a 5 day break and at Boyd's age I'm a bit surprised.
Dickson's run out of chances

When Redpath goes in and we kick long to Honey and Wallis I'd suggest it will be a bad thing no matter the conditions. It will also mean Bont will play too much forward which impacts our clearance situation and Stinger gets stuck deep which hasn't really worked much over the last year. Roughead needs to play 80% ruck at least for us to have any chance of kicking a winning score

jeemak
06-07-2017, 08:11 PM
I am pleased to see our backline look the way it does this week. It seems much more reasonable to have Roughead in the ruck where he belongs and Fletcher in defence, where he belongs.

We need to be smart with our set-up when Redpath is in the ruck. Our best stoppage players need to be there with him, and depending on how Adelaide is setting up and our defenders are working, we might consider moving Cordy forward at these times to nullify Adelaide's interceptors.

If everyone brings something close to their competitive best this week, I don't see how we're not highly competitive. The coaches need to drop the hubris and work Sloane over.

Doc26
06-07-2017, 08:38 PM
And to think Ross Lyon used to be criticised for never playing the kids.
This MC takes the cake.

After such an ordinary season, where our leaders have struggled to show the way, we haven't got a single player of our 22 selected this week selected in the last 2 years of drafts, national and rookie draft included.

GVGjr
06-07-2017, 08:42 PM
And to think Ross Lyon used to criticised for never playing the kids.
This MC takes the cake.

After such an ordinary season, where our leaders have struggled to show the way, we haven't got a single player of our 22 selected this week selected in the last 2 years of drafts, national and rookie draft included.

With the losses mounting I can see why we turn to the experienced players. I don't agree with it but I think I understand why.

Down to one ruckman and a first year player now. We can't ignore this during next years trade and draft periods. We have to find an additional support player

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-07-2017, 08:46 PM
This MC takes the cake.

A bit harsh I think.
The MC during Bevo's reign has shown a great willingness to olay kids. This week was not a great week given the short week from the VFL game to play kids, especially given the importance of the game and the opposition and venue.

Who from our last two drafts is fit and knocking the door down right now? And who has the base coming off a short week to play? Maybe Williams..but even then Bevo has shown a willingness to play him this year so there must be reasons why he's not been considered this week.

bornadog
06-07-2017, 08:50 PM
This MC takes the cake.

The trouble is who do you bring in. No one is kicking the door down from the VFL.

I would have brought in Williams and not MBoyd, in fact Williams should not have been dropped. Other than that who else would you have brought in?

Rocco Jones
06-07-2017, 08:51 PM
I really don't get why we didn't rest a player or two from the VFL game last week.

kruder
06-07-2017, 08:54 PM
With the losses mounting I can see why we turn to the experienced players. I don't agree with it but I think I understand why.

Down to one ruckman and a first year player now. We can't ignore this during next years trade and draft periods. We have to find an additional support player

If you could choose one going forward would you prefer Grundy or Lever? It's an interesting one considering our deficiencies ATM.

ratsmac
06-07-2017, 08:59 PM
Put JJ on Sloane and they can bump each other until their hearts content.

Our injuries have actually made the line up look reasonable for a wet slog. Maybe our luck is turning

Doc26
06-07-2017, 09:04 PM
The trouble is who do you bring in. No one is kicking the door down from the VFL.

I would have brought in Williams and not MBoyd, in fact Williams should not have been dropped. Other than that who else would you have brought in?

Thought a statement should've been made on Johanissen and / or Stringer regardless of cost.

I don't want to see anyone in the RWB put in such selective and selfish effort.

Play NMM, or Young, or as you've mentioned Bailey Williams (who shouldn't be out of the side anyway). Or try something different, bring Collins in and try Fletch up forward.

Bring Declan in for his first go at it - one thing is for sure he couldn't dispose of it any worse than most getting selected.

Rocco Jones
06-07-2017, 09:11 PM
Put JJ on Sloane and they can bump each other until their hearts content.

Our injuries have actually made the line up look reasonable for a wet slog. Maybe our luck is turning

Even when he is flying, JJ is far from a contested ball type, which is needed as a tagger. I'm very surprised we haven't moved him around. I would give him time forward.

In terms of tagging Sloane- Libba? Career maker for Honey? Picken? Share the job around? Crazy we won't tag him anyway...

Sedat
06-07-2017, 09:19 PM
Even when he is flying, JJ is far from a contested ball type, which is needed as a tagger. I'm very surprised we haven't moved him around. I would give him time forward.

In terms of tagging Sloane- Libba? Career maker for Honey? Picken? Share the job around? Crazy we won't tag him anyway...
Picko for mine. He used to be one of the best in the business at it and still has the physical capabilities to carry the job out.

Rocco Jones
06-07-2017, 09:23 PM
A question in relation to Bevo employing tags, instructing players to retaliate to little sniper type actions....do posters think he might be the type to put ethics ahead of tactics? I think it's admirable but this season has seen a shift to more tactics of intimidation.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-07-2017, 09:24 PM
Thought a statement should've been made on Johanissen and / or Stringer regardless of cost.

Play NMM, or Young, or as you've mentioned Bailey Williams (who shouldn't be out of the side anyway). Or try something different, bring Collins in and try Fletch up forward.

Bring Declan in for his first go at it - one thing is for sure he couldn't dispose of it any worse than most getting selected.

I think all things being considered you might be going one game too early on your call for youth.
A short week makes it hard for us to pick youth.
Then you have the opposition, venue and season-on-the-line stakes.
Stringer & JJ have the ability to turn a game. Do you think NMM or Young or Williams have that ability right now & off a shortened week to boot?
Sweeping changes this week with a youth focus would be tantamount to announcing to all we are desperate and ripe for the picking.
I think Bevo, right or wrong, is making one last call to action for those he has shown faith in to put it on the line.
I suspect that should that not be repaid we will see change starting the following week.

always right
06-07-2017, 10:44 PM
Reckon injuries to Murph, Biggs and Campbell may have saved some from being dropped.

Hotdog60
06-07-2017, 10:46 PM
Anyone have any doubts on Campbell's durability. He never seems to get a long run at it.

jeemak
06-07-2017, 10:55 PM
Picko for mine. He used to be one of the best in the business at it and still has the physical capabilities to carry the job out.

It might actually spring him into some meaningful action again.

Remi Moses
06-07-2017, 10:55 PM
When Redpath goes in and we kick long to Honey and Wallis I'd suggest it will be a bad thing no matter the conditions. It will also mean Bont will play too much forward which impacts our clearance situation and Stinger gets stuck deep which hasn't really worked much over the last year. Roughead needs to play 80% ruck at least for us to have any chance of kicking a winning score
Well Campbell and T. Boyd out who plays 2nd ruck ?Its done out of necessity

jeemak
06-07-2017, 10:56 PM
A question in relation to Bevo employing tags, instructing players to retaliate to little sniper type actions....do posters think he might be the type to put ethics ahead of tactics? I think it's admirable but this season has seen a shift to more tactics of intimidation.

Depends how you define ethics.

Some might say throwing/flicking the ball around as a tactic isn't ethical, it's clear we pushed this as far as we could last year and benefited from it. Just because some aspects of tagging are physical, it doesn't mean they are less virtuous than any other testing of the rules.

Eastdog
06-07-2017, 10:58 PM
It might actually spring him into some meaningful action again.

Yes Picko definitely out of form this year. Really hopes I see some Pickolike stuff back tomorrow night. It hasn't been brought to the forefront this year but we all know what he can do. The concussion he got in Round 6 is probably a factor in his performance but that now is about 11 weeks ago that happened.

Rocco Jones
06-07-2017, 11:03 PM
Depends how you define ethics.

Some might say throwing/flicking the ball around as a tactic isn't ethical, it's clear we pushed this as far as we could last year and benefited from it. Just because some aspects of tagging are physical, it doesn't mean they are less virtuous than any other testing of the rules.

I hear what you are saying. Let me re-phrase it. Does he put his interpretation of ethics ahead of tactics if they conflict?

Rocco Jones
06-07-2017, 11:05 PM
Anyone have any doubts on Campbell's durability. He never seems to get a long run at it.

I think it's very understandable to have those doubts. At least the last two weeks have lessened doubts on whether he has the tricks/a trick to make it. Looks like he can be a ruckman who constantly gets his hand to it, not a bad starting point.

bornadog
06-07-2017, 11:08 PM
Well Campbell and T. Boyd out who plays 2nd ruck ?Its done out of necessity

and has been the same every week. We haven't gone a round where Roughy, Boyd or Campbell have all been fit at the same time.

westdog54
07-07-2017, 12:44 AM

For an interstate trip off a five day break? You're kidding right?

The 'play the kids' mantra is probably the most simplistic and thoughtless cry of any struggling team.

For mine Clay Smith is the most exciting inclusion of the four. If you're going to have a team struggling with its footskills you may as well have a relentless competitive animal amongst them. For all Clay's faults he rarely loses a contest and is a very smart footballer.

Doc26
07-07-2017, 01:53 AM
For an interstate trip off a five day break? You're kidding right?

The 'play the kids' mantra is probably the most simplistic and thoughtless cry of any struggling team.

For mine Clay Smith is the most exciting inclusion of the four. If you're going to have a team struggling with its footskills you may as well have a relentless competitive animal amongst them. For all Clay's faults he rarely loses a contest and is a very smart footballer.

Thanks for the constructive citicism of my opinion :mad:

westdog54
07-07-2017, 03:54 AM
Thanks for the constructive citicism of my opinion :mad:

I'm curious, why is your opinion above criticism?

merantau
07-07-2017, 06:32 AM
Win 14 we are in. Win 13 we miss out on %. Massive game. Let's get our hands on the ball first, play a close checking, physical football by getting numbers around every contest and let's nail our chances for once. We can do this. Let's put them under the microscope.

Mantis
07-07-2017, 09:27 AM

The issue this year is that Clay hasn't been able to get to enough contests and thus can't influence them.

Doc26
07-07-2017, 11:42 AM
I'm curious, why is your opinion above criticism?

It's not a different opinion that is at all troubling, it's your abuse that goes with it.

I appreciated YHF's different opinion a few back posts back from yours because it wasn't snide.

And for the record I haven't suggested some wide switch to youth per se, 1 maybe 2 changes in this direction to possibly help inject some renewed vigour to replace a player terribly out of form and possibly focus.

This approach has often had success over all the years I've been watching football for team's down on form and confidence but I do take YHF's point that it may well be a week short.

bornadog
07-07-2017, 11:57 AM
It's not a different opinion that is at all troubling, it's your abuse that goes with it.

I appreciated YHF's different opinion a few back posts back from yours because it wasn't snide.

And for the record I haven't suggested some wide switch to youth per se, 1 maybe 2 changes in this direction to possibly help inject some renewed vigour to replace a player terribly out of form and possibly focus.

This approach has often had success over all the years I've been watching football for team's down on form and confidence but I do take YHF's point that it may well be a week short.

Lose this week and any players down on form need to be dropped, and bring in some young talent. I am keen to see Lipinski given a go as well as Young. I am not sure on Hamilton, but would love him to continue getting the ball in the VFL and maybe he gets a go before year end.

jeemak
07-07-2017, 12:49 PM
I hear what you are saying. Let me re-phrase it. Does he put his interpretation of ethics ahead of tactics if they conflict?

Quite possibly. If you look at his previous career the role of values oriented or ethics based action would be front of mind day in day out.

Nuggety Back Pocket
07-07-2017, 12:57 PM
The inclusion of 4 Premiership players is a major plus. The downside unfortunately is to improve our under performing forward line with Stringer out of form. A better option would have been to recall Bailey Williams to defence with Suckling to half forward. Honeychurch is still to prove he is good enough at this level. Continuing with Redpath as a second string ruckman is also a concern where he was out of his depth last week.

Ozza
07-07-2017, 01:01 PM
Hoping to see Stringer get up the ground more tonight.

NOT as a midfielder - but just to play higher up - get on the move giving us an option up to the wings, and leaving space behind him for Redpath, whose style is that more traditional type of leading deep forward.

We have seemed to have had a bit of an all or nothing approach with Jake. He is either deep forward, or if he isn't getting a kick - its straight to inside-mid or a wing. Would really like a sustained run of him playing high forward.

soupman
07-07-2017, 01:48 PM

Who are the alternatives you're proposing?

English is the only other ruckman available, and he has demonstrated in his games (one of which was a tough night game in wet conditions) that he is not ready to make an impact. NMM pinch hits in the ruck in the VFL, but considering he looks and is built like Shaggy and his VFL form isn't amazing I think it's fair enough we aren't playing a second ruck.

As for forwards, well Cloke is slowly returning, again NMM is too slight to fill the long bomb target role and Young is being developed as a defender. The only other alternative is Roberts, who while never having shown an impact to play up forward at AFL level before could play in that role.

I get your concerns, but not sure what the solution is this week.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-07-2017, 02:00 PM
They can make whatever changes they like as it's simply moving the deck chairs. I've simply lost interest. Going to be a long remainder of the season.

Is that you Bernard?:)

Throughandthrough
07-07-2017, 04:40 PM
Absolutely hosing down in Adelaide right now (and freezing cold)

bornadog
07-07-2017, 05:18 PM
Absolutely hosing down in Adelaide right now (and freezing cold)

I presume you will be there T&T