PDA

View Full Version : Bankers And Anchors - Round 16, 2017 vs Adelaide

Eastdog
23-05-2017, 09:17 PM
This is the round 16, 2017 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Adelaide is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Optional: New addition to the Bankers and Anchors Banchors 3 players we thought who were in the middle in how they went in the game neither a Banker or Anchor.

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
07-07-2017, 10:43 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
07-07-2017, 10:51 PM
B

Macrae doing well.
McLean doing really well.
Bailey Dale. Get the contract signed now.
Some, any, intensity in the first half

A

Ch7. FFS.
Honeychurch. Go away.
Capitulating like a Melbourne team under Mark Neeld.

boydogs
08-07-2017, 12:33 AM
Bankers

McLean has really stepped up as a true centre bounce midfield player, doing well
Macrae never gives in, runs and competes all day
Dale showed some poise, skills and willingness to attack, as well and getting back and helping in defense

Banchor

Zaine Cordy made some good spoils and used the ball well but was outbodied far too often

Anchors

Hunter needs to learn to protect the ball, he turned it over far too often just through little taps and bumps
We were completely uncompetitive in the air and didn't adjust to handball more instead
Goalkicking cost us in the first half, should have had more scoreboard pressure on

G-Mo77
08-07-2017, 12:44 AM
Bankers
Geez hard to find much out of this
McLean is improving every week.
Zaine down back I really like. It's imploding down there but he's doing quite well.
Dale still looks pretty slick in a poor team

Anchors

Tex, that was weak but we all make mistakes and he immediately regretted it. However, Ch7 trying to disguise it like something as fair game. Give me a god dam break! He maybe a good bloke but that was a shit thing to do. If it were one of our players doing it to Walker there would have been an uproar. Imagine if Bugg did it.

Our coaching staff. We bleed goals the same way every week, we don't kick goals the same way every week. Clubs have worked us out, change!

Eff it may as well pot the umpires as well.

boydogs
08-07-2017, 12:47 AM
Tex, that was weak but we all make mistakes and he immediately regretted it. However, Ch7 trying to disguise it like something as fair game. Give me a god dam break! He maybe a good bloke but that was a shit thing to do. If it were one of our players doing it to Walker there would have been an uproar. Imagine if Bugg did it

Walker bumped him from 4 metres away from the goal post, JJ just overbalanced

G-Mo77
08-07-2017, 12:52 AM
Walker bumped him from 4 metres away from the goal post, JJ just overbalanced

Yeah it was JJ's fault. :rolleyes:

SonofScray
08-07-2017, 01:21 AM
Yeah it was JJ's fault. :rolleyes:

Crazy that people are prepared to let him off the hook. It was a petulant shove square in the back in a dangerous position. A definite free kick, except you are allowed to do it to JJ. shit act.

bornadog
08-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Bankers

First half

Anchors

Second half.

Too pissed off to think of individuals.

Remi Moses
08-07-2017, 10:39 AM
Bankers-This part of the assignment is getting harder. Thought McLean has really stepped up .
- The first half I thought our intensity and effort was decent, but just couldn't make our territory count
- My credit card isn't going to take the hit it took last October .
Anchors - The second half was just totally unacceptable . The club and I mean the players have to take ownership on that tripe they served up.
- Need an injection of talent and speed ( easier said than done)
- When's the trade and draft period

merantau
08-07-2017, 10:47 AM
Bamkers
1 Bailey Dale. Has grabbed his chance
2. Toby McLean has stepped up
3. First half intensity

Anchors.
1. Goal kicking
2. We are not fit enough. There is no other explanation for us being so ineffectual in the second half. One goal in a half and conceding 10 in the most important game of the year after an excellent first half! Everything to play for but we had nothing left.
3. Listening to Ch 7 commentators. Bwoooce putting the slippers into us. Insufferable. Ling - pass me the insect spray. Carey - just moronic. "There's nothing in that." "Should have been a push in the back"!!
How about "Reportable Incident"?

Go_Dogs
08-07-2017, 10:54 AM
Bankers
McLean
Cordy
Dale

Our hope for a better future.

Anchors
Picken
Morris
Roughead

Sadly, 3 of our senior players who aren't playing well. I wonder if Roughead is injured? Morris is struggling to get back into the pace of the game and Picken who started the year well hasn't been the same since he got hit.

Ozza
08-07-2017, 10:59 AM
Bankers:

McLean emerging as a midfielder has been good.
Bonti's first half was tremendous
Macrae a pretty solid game.

Anchors:

Easton Wood - can't believe how poor he is going.
Honeychurch - feel for him, in that he seems a great kid and he stuck with us when he probably could have left at the end of the year for more senior footy, but I think the evidence is pretty undeniable now that he doesn't make the grade at AFL level and shouldn't be playing again.
Smith - forgot he was even playing to be honest.

always right
08-07-2017, 12:40 PM
Bankers
McLean has really stepped up as a midfielder and shows out in a team currently devoid of polish.
Cordy has had a really good month. I wasn't certain previously but now convinced he will be a real asset for us.
Roughy has been poor of late but thought he at least competed well against a highly rated ruckman.

Banchors
As usual Dahlhaus never gave up when plenty if his team mates had.....but he just has no influence on games.
Hunter worked harder than most but he spoils a lot if his work with blind snaps and dinky kicks.
Bont looked good in the first half but his disposal and goal kicking continue to be off the mark.

Anchors
Shattered to see Morris performing like he is, no question this is his last season.
Picken has been better in recent weeks but last night he was virtually invisible.
Hate to ask this but is Beveridge a one trick pony? All the talk pre season was about player versatility......seems to be little versatility in match tactics.
Any chance our forwards can at least bring the ball to ground?

LostDoggy
08-07-2017, 04:48 PM
Bankers
McLean has really stepped up as a midfielder and shows out in a team currently devoid of polish.
Cordy has had a really good month. I wasn't certain previously but now convinced he will be a real asset for us.
Roughy has been poor of late but thought he at least competed well against a highly rated ruckman.

Banchors
As usual Dahlhaus never gave up when plenty if his team mates had.....but he just has no influence on games.
Hunter worked harder than most but he spoils a lot if his work with blind snaps and dinky kicks.
Bont looked good in the first half but his disposal and goal kicking continue to be off the mark.

Anchors
Shattered to see Morris performing like he is, no question this is his last season.
Picken has been better in recent weeks but last night he was virtually invisible.
Hate to ask this but is Beveridge a one trick pony? All the talk pre season was about player versatility......seems to be little versatility in match tactics.
Any chance our forwards can at least bring the ball to ground?

Morris is likely to play on as club talking about a 1 yr extension. Boyd will retire and Murphy is possible to retire.

bornadog
08-07-2017, 05:16 PM
Morris is likely to play on as club talking about a 1 yr extension. Boyd will retire and Murphy is possible to retire.

I hate to bang on about it, and I hate seeing ageing champions struggling, but Morris needs to rethink his position.

The bulldog tragician
08-07-2017, 05:37 PM
I hate to bang on about it, and I hate seeing ageing champions struggling, but Morris needs to rethink his position.

Sadly I agree. There have been signs already. He is too much of a champ to end up in reserves - none of us want that for possibly our greatest ever defender.

S Coast Simon
08-07-2017, 07:30 PM
Anchors

Our poor forwards. Was painful to watch us kick to the advantage side for Adelaide. How many kicks all over the ground went to the wrong side of a two man contest.

Playing to much wet weather footy of getting the ball forward at all costs. Adelaide managed to move the ball around with ease. But we just blazed away.

Thought we got the raw deal with the umpires the first half. The crows just dropped the ball at will. And even just placed the ball on the ground at one stage.

Talk of us trying to get Lever. Then him dominating with a best on ground performance. Was pretty dam good last night.

AFL. . Prime time games 7 away 2 at home. Gee thanks AFL for finally giving us Friday nights but still screwing us at the same time.

Bankers

Macrae. Working hard
Dale. Getting better
Cordy. Going to be a great medium to small defender

Eastdog
08-07-2017, 10:44 PM
Bankers

Our 1st half - great effort Bailey Dale's goal I loved

Cordy - liked his game

McLean played very well

Anchors

The 2nd half - not good enough

Our goal kicking, forward line and defence all very poor last night

JJ get knocked by Tex.

westdog54
10-07-2017, 08:37 AM
Bankers

Macrae - Geez he's a hard worker.
McLean - So glad to see him running through the midfield, he's slippery in the clinches. Helps that he has a great leap and hands.
Dale - He's just so composed for such a young player.

Banchors

Redpath - Leads up well and knows how to protect the drop but needs to halve more contests when he's under pressure.
Huter - Works hard as well but can be just so wasteful.
Suckling - That was better, but kick the easy goals Matthew!!

Anchors

Morris - Its been really sad watch his rapid decline this year.
Stringer - Was disinterested and lazy at times.
Picken - Speaking of declines...

Two sidebars:

I'm not going to bang on anymore about Honeychurch as he's the last of our problems but surely he doesn't retain his spot next year.

Yes, Tex's push on JJ was crude, and yes, Seven's fawning over him was cringeworthy. BUT... I'm in no doubt that pushing him into the post was the last thing on his mind.

As far as I'm concerned, if he actually wanted to hurt him he wouldn't have gone running to check if he was ok.

Easton Wood was livid and rightly so, but Tex was barely even remonstrating when challenged by our players.

When I watch it at full speed the push is marginally late and should have been a free kick, but the MRP will have bigger fish to fry than Tex this week.

Edit: Again reaching into the Rule book

Prohibited Contact and Payment of Free Kick
A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player where they are satisfied that the Player has made Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player.

A Player makes Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player if the Player:

(b)
pushes an opposition Player in the back, unless such contact is incidental to a Marking contest and the Player is legitimately Marking, attempting to Mark or spoil the football;

You cannot push in the back while shepherding. Its a free kick.