PDA

View Full Version : Brian Harris now called Brian Lake

The Coon Dog
11-01-2008, 03:14 AM
Brian Harris now called Brian Lake (http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,23035274%255E20322,00.html)

11 January 2008 - Herald Sun - Mark Stevens

THE footballer once known as Brian Harris is resigned to being forever called "Ricki".

Western Bulldogs teammate Matthew Boyd has been quick to give the full-back the nickname and it is more likely to stick than "Swan", the other obvious option.

The reason for the ribbing at Whitten Oval is simple: Brian Harris is now Brian Lake.

Lake, last season's best-and-fairest winner at the Bulldogs, legally changed his name before Christmas.

With the birth of a son, Cohen Ashton, he was determined to carry on his father's family name and drop Harris.

The 25-year-old's birth certificate read Harris, because it was his mother's maiden name.

His mother Chesel Harris and father Brian Lake were a couple, but not married, when he was born.

"I had the chance to change to Lake when Mum and Dad married when I was 10 or 11, but I decided not to," Lake said yesterday.

"With school and footy, I decided to put it off."

So the South Australian started his AFL career under the name Harris.

But the name change was back on the agenda the moment he found out his partner Shannon O'Malley was pregnant.

On the arrival of a son, Lake considered it imperative that the family name lived on.

"Dad's only got sisters, so it was a chance to carry on the Lake family name," Lake said.

"Both of my parents were stoked when I told them about the change, but the first thing they said was, 'What about footy?'."

The paperwork was far more complicated than first thought, but it was sorted in time for his son's birth certificate to read Lake.

Paperwork has also been lodged with the AFL. On historical lists, the Bulldog will now be known as Brian Lake (Harris).

There hasn't been time to work on a new autograph to match.

"I've been too busy changing nappies," Harris said.

LostDoggy
11-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Today 03:14 AM

Thats commitment!

Mofra
11-01-2008, 06:32 PM
It was too hot to sleep!! ;)

The weather or the thoughts of Brian Lake? C'mon, be honest...

LostDoggy
12-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Haha wow thats gunna sound weird....just gunna have to call him Brian as i usually would

Drinking Game next year: Take a shot everytime the commentators get his name wrong!

hujsh
12-01-2008, 10:52 PM
He will always be Harris to me

GVGjr
12-01-2008, 11:20 PM
He will always be Harris to me

It will take a bit of getting used to but we should respect his decision and simply adjust to it.

Mofra
13-01-2008, 10:15 AM
It will take a bit of getting used to but we should respect his decision and simply adjust to it.

Alot of people just call him Psycho anyway - I think Rikki will stick as his new nickname

Go_Dogs
15-01-2008, 10:19 AM
I wondered why people were referring to Brian as 'Lake' on the board since I'd got back from a little holiday, now it all becomes clear.

Didn't Geelong have a bloke change names at the start of the 2007 season?

Mantis
15-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Didn't Geelong have a bloke change names at the start of the 2007 season?

Jared Rooke became Max Rooke.

GVGjr
15-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Didn't North have a player called Kristian Anning who changed his name to Kristian Bardsley or vice-a-versa.

Sockeye Salmon
15-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Didn't North have a player called Kristian Anning who changed his name to Kristian Bardsley or vice-a-versa.

Other way around. Played for St. Kilda, though, didn't he?

tomawk
15-01-2008, 08:51 PM
he can call himself anything he likes as long as he avoids suspension!!