PDA

View Full Version : All The Small Things, Round 10, 2017

bulldogtragic
28-05-2017, 11:49 AM
A celebration of frustration of the small things that happen in a game.

1. Daniel's spoil on Carlisle. Was a ripping spoil on a bloke with 30cm height plus reach.
2. A centre bounce hit out from English in the last half. He got reach over longer, and deftly tapped it straight down for a midfielder torun onto it and use the momentum to surge an inside 50. Was just a sublime piece of ruck work and showed he was thinking about the ruck contests and not just trying to bash it and rack up hit outs.

Twodogs
28-05-2017, 01:46 PM
Tom Boyd's (I think it was Tom, apologies to whoever it was because it was sensational play) two smothers in a row on the Saints forward 50 that turned a two on one in their favour with them in possession into a boundary throw in. He smothered one kick and when the other St Kilda player in the contest grabbed it and tried to kick it forward he went and smothered that kick over the boundary. He fought the contest out to the very end.

I'm going to call it a Biggsy. It was the best Biggsy I've seen this season.

boydogs
28-05-2017, 02:08 PM
Tom Boyd's (I think it was Tom, apologies to whoever it was because it was sensational play) two smothers in a row on the Saints forward 50 that turned a two on one in their favour with them in possession into a boundary throw in. He smothered one kick and when the other St Kilda player in the contest grabbed it and tried to kick it forward he went and smothered that kick over the boundary. He fought the contest out to the very end.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, the first smother was Morris and the 2nd was Johannisen

bornadog
28-05-2017, 02:16 PM
If it's the one I'm thinking of, the first smother was Morris and the 2nd was Johannisen

Correct

westdog54
28-05-2017, 02:27 PM
Not sure if this counts as a 'small thing' or not, but Jake Stringer simply getting back to basics without trying to do the miraculous netted him five goals. All 5 came from run of the mill lead-up or one on one marks.

Twodogs
28-05-2017, 02:58 PM

Correct

Teamwork. Even better.

I know it was only yesterday but the game seems like it happened ages ago.

bornadog
28-05-2017, 03:00 PM
I noticed some of the small things Boyd does, when the ball hits the ground. A little tap forward, a shephard, a block etc. He has really improved in this area.

bulldogtragic
28-05-2017, 03:24 PM
I noticed some of the small things Boyd does, when the ball hits the ground. A little tap forward, a shephard, a block etc. He has really improved in this area.

I think he always has been good at this, but not a lot of attention has been paid to it. He was vital in the last passage of the pre-lim, and he laid two shepards in the GF resulting in Picken scoring two late last quarter goals and winning the thing (on top of his 3 own). The media don't like it because its a kin to having something simple like great reliable blue tooth in a Masserati, you didn't pay a million for it, but it's still a great feature.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
28-05-2017, 03:30 PM
Roughie's shepherd in the third allowed Morris to get a handball out

Smads57
28-05-2017, 03:52 PM
Dale holding his feet in a tackle in the third qtr and kicking the ball into the forward fifty that resulted in an important Bulldog goal

bulldogsthru&thru
28-05-2017, 04:11 PM
Here's an interesting one. After round 10 we have the exact same 'points for' as Richmond and just one less 'points against' than them

Ozza
28-05-2017, 06:55 PM
Here's an interesting one. After round 10 we have the exact same 'points for' as Richmond and just one less 'points against' than them

Not sure why we've been worried about percentage! Remarkably, we have the best % of all of the teams sitting on 24 pts

boydogs
28-05-2017, 10:52 PM
Not sure why we've been worried about percentage! Remarkably, we have the best % of all of the teams sitting on 24 pts

Only after a 40 point win over St Kilda, which was our biggest of the year

Still 10% behind GWS & Geelong, and 40% behind Adelaide & Port (who have a game in hand on us and could join us on 6-4 and knock us out of the top 4)

LostDoggy
28-05-2017, 11:13 PM

I like it!