PDA

View Full Version : 1st half of season 2017 - How are we tracking?

Eastdog
28-05-2017, 04:05 PM
We are 6-4 going into the 2nd half of season 2017. How do woofers think we are tracking?

I pretty satisfied considering the closeness of the competition to be sitting 6-4 and by the end of this round we could remain in 4th position which is where we are aiming to be between 1st and 4th.

We haven't played our best footy yet I believe but yesterday was a good performance which will give us some confidence to get our best back. We have some more players to come in still which will help a lot.

bulldogtragic
28-05-2017, 04:12 PM
Lead 3/4 time Geelong & Freo, should've beaten GWS and probably WCE owing to JK's bad kicking. So we should be higher, but it is what it is,

The run home has a lot of home games, but we've sold two of them away from Etihad and lose after playing in Cairns. So the run home is crucial.

If we can get as much of the list fir and healthy as possible, if we can start to play 4 quarters of our best stuff, then who knows what happens. I'm really hopeful we can do great things, but there's still question marks on our consistency and losing two Etihad games isn't ideal. But let's ride it and see where it takes us again.

comrade
28-05-2017, 04:26 PM
Back to back is definitely on but it will depend on key players getting/staying fit at the pointy end. If Libba, Roughy & Bont are in peak physical condition come finals, we'll be a very formidable team.

Cloke winding back the clock and providing a real presence in the forward line would also be a huge bonus.

Would have loved one more win but our fate is still largely in our own hands, given the evenness of the competition. Yesterday's signs were positive that the balance and structure is starting to come together, with plenty of positive pressure coming from Footscray.

GVGjr
28-05-2017, 04:46 PM
It's hard to believe but at the half way mark we are still a way off playing our best football or at least something close enough to give the competition a hell of a shake again.

Our best is exhilarating and the equal to or better than other sides however that is curbed by the fact that our best football is sporadic and our average football is just about awful to watch. Injuries aside we also haven't settled on what our best side looks like.

Currently on the ladder we have almost mirrored Richmonds for and against for the season and yet in large regard them as pretenders.

We are really well placed but the next 3 games coming back from the bye will shape the season for us. I still like our chances but we need to improve.

lemmon
28-05-2017, 05:03 PM
We've lost some winnable games but also won some when I thought we were clearly the worse side.

We need to find some more avenues to goal if we're going to give it a shake. We've got two players in the top 50 goal kickers in the comp (Stringer is 17th with 19, Bont is 46th with 12) and only 3 in the top 100 goal kickers (Hunter is our third leading goal kicker with 8 coming in at 92nd).

I don't think our forward line worries sides and against very good ones like Adelaide, I just don't see how we restrict them to a score we can match. Dickson back is obviously going to help but I reckon Boyd has to spend more time forward if we aren't playing another traditional tall forward.

I know we won the flag last year with a just okay front half but we're just not scoring enough at the moment. There's still a fair bit to do.

LostDoggy
28-05-2017, 05:22 PM
7 and 3 would have us on track, the freo loss was disappointing. 8 and 2 would have us flag favourites. We need to beat some highly rated teams as most of ours have been teams outside the current 8.

However, we are 2 games off top and players are returning. If we can find the hunger we should go deep.

bornadog
28-05-2017, 07:44 PM
Here is a stat for you. In the last 39 games, we have had one belting in 2015 by 10 plus goals, and one last year by almost 10 goals. The rest of the losses were within 4 goals or less, with many of the losses less than 10 points.

We are very competitive and I can't see why we can't keep being competitive for the rest of the season.

Remi Moses
28-05-2017, 09:16 PM
Like to be 7 and 3 . We haven't hit our straps yet, and hopefully yesterday was the start.
Very tough this year

boydogs
28-05-2017, 11:23 PM
Just coming good now. Hope we can continue this form after the bye and string a run of wins together

LostDoggy
29-05-2017, 08:52 AM
Just to state the obvious, we aren't at the half way point of the season yet. Win next game and we are 7-4 at the half way mark and nicely poised, if we lose we are 6-5 and amongst the midfield pack with plenty to do.

Sydney at the SCG - massive game.

Mantis
29-05-2017, 09:29 AM
As most have stated another win would've been nice, but considering the footy we have played we are at where we probably deserve to be.

Having a full squad to pick from (or near enough) post bye will be a pleasant change and should lead to an improved performance.. Should be looking to win a minimum of 3 of our next 4 which will set us up nicely.

Topdog
29-05-2017, 02:35 PM
A solid B performance so far this year. Feels like we are slowly getting it together.

6-4 with significant games missed to Rough, Morris, Murphy, Stringer and Dickson is a pretty decent return.

Inclusion of Roughy is massive and with Footscray also beating down on some teams things are looking up.

Slightly concerned that we are losing close games this year. Also 1-4 vs teams in the 8.

Next 4 are all very winnable.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-05-2017, 02:44 PM
A solid B performance so far this year. Feels like we are slowly getting it together.

6-4 with significant games missed to Rough, Morris, Murphy, Stringer and Dickson is a pretty decent return.

Inclusion of Roughy is massive and with Footscray also beating down on some teams things are looking up.

Slightly concerned that we are losing close games this year. Also 1-4 vs teams in the 8.

Next 4 are all very winnable.

I'm not overly concerned by this. We are certainly capable of beating the best. I don't think that's a question. The question is whether we reach our potential. That seems to come and go throughout games. We lost to GWS by 2 points - a game we should have won but for inaccuracy. We lost to West Coast by 7pts - should have been more but they kick poorly, but we didn't play overly well. Then you have Geelong where we played a half of football and freo where we played zero football.

Not trying to make excuses at all but my point is we know what we can do. The jury is out on if we can consistently do it this year. I'm really hoping the back half of the season we can get going and maintain a healthy list. Our game stands up in finals and perhaps some teams trying to replicate our game style will start to wear out. I still think GWS are flag favourites. Crows will be hard to beat over there but they can be vulnerable with contested football.

Overall 6-4 is pretty good considering we have played pretty poor football. We've seen patches of what we are capable of. If these patches turn into blankets we'll be hard to stop!

bornadog
29-05-2017, 02:55 PM
and freo where we played zero football.

16 points up at 3/4 time and should have gone on with it.

1eyedog
29-05-2017, 03:18 PM
I'm not overly concerned by this. We are certainly capable of beating the best. I don't think that's a question. The question is whether we reach our potential. That seems to come and go throughout games. We lost to GWS by 2 points - a game we should have won but for inaccuracy. We lost to West Coast by 7pts - should have been more but they kick poorly, but we didn't play overly well. Then you have Geelong where we played a half of football and freo where we played zero football.

Not trying to make excuses at all but my point is we know what we can do. The jury is out on if we can consistently do it this year. I'm really hoping the back half of the season we can get going and maintain a healthy list. Our game stands up in finals and perhaps some teams trying to replicate our game style will start to wear out. I still think GWS are flag favourites. Crows will be hard to beat over there but they can be vulnerable with contested football.

Overall 6-4 is pretty good considering we have played pretty poor football. We've seen patches of what we are capable of. If these patches turn into blankets we'll be hard to stop!

Yeah maybe. We are an errant Lindsay Thomas shot at goal and a lucky DOOB against Richmond away from being 4-6 and 13th and that would be shite.

Topdog
29-05-2017, 03:22 PM
Yeah maybe. We are an errant Lindsay Thomas shot at goal and a lucky DOOB against Richmond away from being 4-6 and 13th and that would be shite.

Why do Richmond get a win for that deliberate OOB.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-05-2017, 03:53 PM
Why do Richmond get a win for that deliberate OOB.

Not forgetting the blatant throw leading to the goal that got them to within a goal.

But i take 1eyedogs point. We could be 4-6. But we also had some close losses meaning we could be 8-2. So i think 6-4 is fair.

And i also think 6-4 is bloody good considering the football we've been playing.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-05-2017, 05:08 PM
6-4 considering our form is flattering.

We can turn it around, but we need to do it quickly. Libba will be a key.

bornadog
29-05-2017, 05:13 PM
6-4 considering our form is flattering.

We can turn it around, but we need to do it quickly. Libba will be a key.

The Saints game was our first 4 quarter effort - I think we are on the way.

always right
29-05-2017, 05:21 PM
I don't think we played that well on Saturday but we did an excellent job in stopping the saint's running game.....plenty to build on.

Our loss to GWS was IMO our best four quarter performance. Would love to have won that one.

Eastdog
29-05-2017, 08:38 PM
I don't think we played that well on Saturday but we did an excellent job in stopping the saint's running game.....plenty to build on.

Our loss to GWS was IMO our best four quarter performance. Would love to have won that one.

Sucked losing the GWS game. I felt we played better and deserved to win. Very unlucky in that one. The Eagles is another I would ha e loved to have won. We didn't take advantage when they were missing the Eagles and didn't get the points.

Topdog
30-05-2017, 11:22 AM
1 more thing I will say is our team are going to be well prepped for finals this season.

We are playing tough, bruising encounters every week (except for the Saints who were soft as butter) and that is great preparation.

Other teams aren't having this effort put into them and most are absolutely struggling the following week.

Geelong needed 130 tackles against us, a record for them, they limped over the line the next week against Port at home with some nice home cooking from the umpires.

LostDoggy
30-05-2017, 12:28 PM
1 more thing I will say is our team are going to be well prepped for finals this season.

We are playing tough, bruising encounters every week (except for the Saints who were soft as butter) and that is great preparation.

Other teams aren't having this effort put into them and most are absolutely struggling the following week.

Geelong needed 130 tackles against us, a record for them, they limped over the line the next week against Port at home with some nice home cooking from the umpires.

True. I read somewhere last week that teams who have played us this year are 1-8 the following week, including some horror performances.

LostDoggy
30-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Going through all our games to date you could just about argue that every team has played there best footy of the season against us.

Certainly Collingwood, Sydney, Freo, Brisbane, GWS, West Coast & Geelong fall into that category.

Even the Saints threw everything at us early only to be still trailing at quarter time.

We are building. Competition for spots will be extremely hot post bye. Can only be a good thing for us.

bornadog
01-06-2017, 11:31 AM
In numbers: 2017 so far (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-05-31/in-numbers-2017-so-far)

With the Bulldogs off this weekend with a bye, westernbulldogs.com.au has taken the opportunity to reflect on the first 10 rounds – breaking down the statistical leaders and how things sit midway through the 2017 season.

Disposals

Luke Dahlhaus: 273
Jack Macrae: 259
Jason Johannisen: 253
Marcus Bontempelli: 238
Lachie Hunter: 217

After a sixth-placed finish in last year’s Charles Sutton Medal, Luke Dahlhaus has elevated his game to another level, averaging a career-high 27.3 disposals in 2017 - including eight games over 25 possessions. Jack Macrae’s numbers are up on last season, as are Jason Johannisen’s at 25.3 disposals a game.

Goals

Jake Stringer: 19
Marcus Bontempelli: 12
Lachie Hunter: 8
Liam Picken: 7
Clay Smith: 7

With a forward-line taking multiple shapes, Jake Stringer has become the side’s most dangerous target inside 50, with four games of 3+ goals to start the season. Marcus Bontempelli’s role closer to goal has been fruitful, while Lachie Hunter is already just two goals shy of his 2016 mark of 10.

Tackles

Tom Liberatore: 68
Marcus Bontempelli: 66
Jack Macrae: 59
Lin Jong: 49
Luke Dahlhaus: 47

Although out of the side in recent weeks, Tom Liberatore’s tackling prowess is still evident – sitting inside the league’s top 10 and second to only Rory Sloane in averages (excluding Scott Selwood who’s played just the two games). A career-high 14 tackles in round 1 from Lin Jong has elevated him inside the top five.

Marks

Easton Wood: 60
Marcus Adams: 58
Robert Murphy: 52
Matthew Suckling: 47
Lachie Hunter: 45

High leaping Easton Wood has showed his value in defence in the first 10 round with his intercept marking capabilities, often cutting off any opposition attack and beginning the rebound himself. Bob Murphy has slotted straight back in, while Hunter’s move forward of centre has him in the Club’s top five for marks inside 50.

Score involvements

Luke Dahlhaus: 81
Marcus Bontempelli: 77
Liam Picken: 72
Jack Macrae: 67
Jake Stringer: 62

Not only is Dahlhaus getting plenty of the ball, but he is damaging with it – involved in nearly a third of all Bulldogs scores this season. Liam Picken has also shown his potency, averaging 8.7 score involvements in our wins.
Turnovers forced

Jack Macrae: 41
Tom Liberatore: 40
Jason Johannisen: 29
Marcus Bontempelli: 28
Caleb Daniel: 26

The Bulldogs have always prided themselves on their pressure, and Jack Macrae is at the forefront of that – averaging 4.1 turnovers per games. Johannisen is bringing the heat off half-back, while 40.7% of Bontempelli’s turnovers result in scores.

Inside 50s

Marcus Bontempelli: 44
Matthew Suckling: 40
Luke Dahlhaus: 39
Robert Murphy: 36
Jason Johannisen: 33

Matthew Suckling has been instrumental in attack, pumping the ball inside 50 on 40 occasions this season. 39 inside 50s highlights Luke Dahlhaus’ value with ball in hand, while Bob has been dangerous both back and forward of centre.

1eyedog
01-06-2017, 02:16 PM
Dahl having his best year, would be on track for a top 2 finish in the CSM. Libba's pressure acts are right up there.

bornadog
01-06-2017, 02:28 PM
Suckling with 40 inside 50s is something we don't notice, but I bet the coaching staff do.

bulldogtragic
01-06-2017, 02:35 PM
Suckling with 40 inside 50s is something we don't notice, but I bet the coaching staff do.

Quite surprised by that.

Mantis
01-06-2017, 05:02 PM

Be interested in seeing how many have lead to scores.. As he is pretty much in as a designated kicker it should be a high %.

bornadog
01-06-2017, 05:05 PM
Be interested in seeing how many have lead to scores.. As he is pretty much in as a designated kicker it should be a high %.

He is down for 6 goal assists, and 5 goals, but of course that doesn't tell us how many of the 40 inside 50s went on to be a goal.

1eyedog
01-06-2017, 05:07 PM

We do give it to him as much as we can. I'd like to know his efficiency across those 40 kicks. I would probably have rather seen Suckling forward than Murph at times this season.

bornadog
01-06-2017, 05:09 PM
We do give it to him as much as we can. I'd like to know his efficiency across those 40 kicks.
His disposal efficiency sits on 77% for the ten games and he has only had 3 games at less than 20 disposals, but I don't have the stats on those 40.

jeemak
01-06-2017, 08:39 PM
Interesting to see that from pure numbers Suckling seems to be delivering what he did for Hawthorn in his last few years there, plus a little bit more tackling.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-western-bulldogs--matthew-suckling

I sometimes don't know what everyone expects of him, or what they expected of him when we recruited him.