PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 18, 2017 vs Gold Coast Suns

Eastdog
03-06-2017, 09:47 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 18, 2017 match against Gold Coast Suns at Cazaly's Stadium?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

bulldogtragic
16-07-2017, 06:43 PM
Ins - Outs:

Cloke - Redpath
T. Boyd - Stringer (inj.)
Wood - Honeychurch

GVGjr
16-07-2017, 06:48 PM
Ins - Outs:

Cloke - Redpath
T. Boyd - Stringer (inj.)
Wood - Honeychurch

Tom Boyd won't be back anytime soon. Perhaps 3 weeks away
Redpath struggled today so maybe Cloke.
I think Honeychurch will stay

bulldogtragic
16-07-2017, 06:55 PM
Tom Boyd won't be back anytime soon. Perhaps 3 weeks away
Redpath struggled today so maybe Cloke.
I think Honeychurch will stay

Then English, if Boyd is away still.
Honeychurch isn't doing anywhere near enough as a midfielder, or small forward. So he shouldn't be playing.

MrMahatma
16-07-2017, 07:12 PM
Wouldn't make wholesale changes.

Out: Stringer, Honey
In: Cloke, Wood

Thought Honey was ok but ultimately not up to this level.

lemmon
16-07-2017, 07:20 PM
Out- Stringer, Williams
In- Cloke, Wood

Cloke to play the second ruck forward so we can stop chewing up Bont.

Unlucky for Williams but Wood has to squeeze back in and Suckling was okay today.

comrade
16-07-2017, 08:21 PM
Out: Stringer, Honey, Redpath, Suckling
In: Lipinski, Webb, Cloke, Wood

always right
16-07-2017, 08:26 PM

Why Suckling? Not a fan but his last two weeks have been pretty good.

Rocco Jones
16-07-2017, 08:39 PM
Wood for Stringer
Cloke for Redpath if Clokey is ready.

Can't drop Honeychurch after his best game in his current sequence of games.

Remi Moses
16-07-2017, 10:05 PM
Wood for Stringer
Possibly Cloke or Dickson for Redpath ( nearly game from jack , just dropped to many marks )

Ozza
17-07-2017, 02:06 AM

4 changes again? After a win?

Honeychurch praised by the coach this week. Bevo referred to Suckling as being 'our best player' against Adelaide. Pretty unlikely either would be dropped on that assessment from the coach.

chef
17-07-2017, 09:26 AM
Sucklings the new Eagleton isn't he.

Mantis
17-07-2017, 10:18 AM
In - Cloke, Wood
Out - Stringer, Williams

Would like to see Webb in for a few games, keep Williams in & get Redpath out, but not sure how we can do it.

SlimPickens
17-07-2017, 11:00 AM
In: Cloke
Outs: Stringer

Wood will come in but i thought our defensive cohesion was the best it has been for a long time yesterday. So i wouldn't change it.

Sedat
17-07-2017, 11:10 AM
I think we should select a squad of about 26 for the next 2 weeks and work on a horses for courses selection policy depending on our opposition. I know we've been all over the shop with selections this season and some continuity would be nice, but the player recovery from Cairns to Etihad the following week (against a lightning quick opponent) needs to be taken into consideration.

Redders would be one player in the gun for mine - just doesn't involve himself enough in the game and lacks the scoreboard impact for a player with is limitations. We will struggle to score heavily in the next couple of weeks so need to bolster up our inside mid stocks and defensive run and carry to try and have both games played on our terms. Webb would be an in for mine on that score.

Not sure of the outs as yet - need to give it some thought.

always right
17-07-2017, 11:13 AM
I would give Repath another game but Cloke may come in for him.
Dickson for Stringer as Bevo praised his game for Footscray. Reckon Dickson would have thrived yesterday in that style of game.
Wood for Murphy. Has to come in and whilst I doubt they'll drop Murph, he was one of our quietest yesterday and appears to be labouring a bit.

After Bevo's presser comments, there is no way Honeychurch will be dropped.

westbulldog
17-07-2017, 11:14 AM
Out
Stringer Honeychurch

In
Wood Cloke

I wouldn't drop Williams in a fit.

always right
17-07-2017, 11:23 AM
Out
Stringer Honeychurch

In
Wood Cloke

I wouldn't drop Williams in a fit.

Bevo described Honey's game as outstanding. Hard to see him dropped.

Ozza
17-07-2017, 11:24 AM
I think we should select a squad of about 26 for the next 2 weeks and work on a horses for courses selection policy depending on our opposition. I know we've been all over the shop with selections this season and some continuity would be nice, but the player recovery from Cairns to Etihad the following week (against a lightning quick opponent) needs to be taken into consideration.

Redders would be one player in the gun for mine - just doesn't involve himself enough in the game and lacks the scoreboard impact for a player with is limitations. We will struggle to score heavily in the next couple of weeks so need to bolster up our inside mid stocks and defensive run and carry to try and have both games played on our terms. Webb would be an in for mine on that score.

Not sure of the outs as yet - need to give it some thought.

Since Redpath's 10th career game - this is only the second time that he hasn't kicked a goal in a game. He has kicked 43 goals in those 21 games since reaching double figures.

For a bloke who has played less career games than McLean, Tom Boyd, Caleb Daniel amongst others - and also coming off a knee reco less than 12 months ago, I think Redpath gets a pretty tough critique. A bad day yesterday - but with the way Carlton flood the D50 - it was a pretty ordinary day to be playing tall forward as the only player competing in the air v Jones, Weitering, Plowman and A.Silvagni.

Topdog
17-07-2017, 11:25 AM
Out Stringer
In Dickson

bulldogsthru&thru
17-07-2017, 11:30 AM
Bevo described Honey's game as outstanding. Hard to see him dropped.

He butchered the ball early but his effort was great. At least he got his hands dirty which can't be said for a lot of the players over the last few weeks (yesterday the exception)

IN: Dickson, Wood, Cloke
OUT: Stringer, Redpath, Murph

I hate saying it but Murph needs to be omitted ahead of Williams based on performance but Murph probably has more spiritual value to the team. It would be incredibly harsh to drop Williams though. I thought he played really well. In either case, given we're playing in Cairns it would be worth giving Murph a spell so he's primed for Essendon at which point we're guaranteed to have another injury anyway given our luck. Who knows, even more players could be rested for the Cairns game given we always play poorly the following week. Given we can only drop 1 more game, we need to 100% for essendon

Sedat
17-07-2017, 11:43 AM
Since Redpath's 10th career game - this is only the second time that he hasn't kicked a goal in a game. He has kicked 43 goals in those 21 games since reaching double figures.

For a bloke who has played less career games than McLean, Tom Boyd, Caleb Daniel amongst others - and also coming off a knee reco less than 12 months ago, I think Redpath gets a pretty tough critique. A bad day yesterday - but with the way Carlton flood the D50 - it was a pretty ordinary day to be playing tall forward as the only player competing in the air v Jones, Weitering, Plowman and A.Silvagni.
I have strong admiration for what Redders has been able to achieve in his career given his injury history and lack of mobility. Bur for mine in the next couple of weeks, we will need to manufacture a score with an unconventional forward set-up, so any players who cannot contribute to keeping the ball locked in our F50 are in the gun. Our F50 just isn't working at all with a conventional set-up. Cloke, Smith and Dickson don't fill me with great confidence with their ability to pressure opposition defensive rebounders either.

Honey saved his bacon yesterday with a really good, hard-working performance. We need that from him every single contest, with a side serve of much better conversion from him.

I'll gladly sign off on two scrappy, low-scoring 20 point wins in the next 2 weeks if we can manufacture them.

Mofra
17-07-2017, 11:48 AM
Stinger - Dickson
Williams - Wood

Would like to keep Williams in but it's hard to play a rebounder who isn't getting enough attacking ball as yet.

Topdog
17-07-2017, 11:57 AM
Oh yes Murphy rested and Wood in.

jeemak
17-07-2017, 12:09 PM
Stinger - Dickson
Williams - Wood

Would like to keep Williams in but it's hard to play a rebounder who isn't getting enough attacking ball as yet.

I think this is how it will pan out.

My preference would be to bring Cloke in as well, the sooner we get him some exposure to senior football again - providing he is mentally ready - the better. Not sure how this is achieved given I don't want Redpath dropped as I'd like both of them to cover for ruck breaks.

I suppose we'll see how our fitness is over the coming days.

bornadog
17-07-2017, 12:40 PM
I thought Williams was excellent yesterday. He shut out his opponent, and took 7 marks. I wouldn't be dropping him anytime soon.

Wood will come back in, Stringer out due to his injury.

In: Wood, Cloke

Out: Redpath, Stringer.

JohnGentStand
17-07-2017, 02:13 PM
Ins: Wood, Dickson

Outs: Stringer, HC

Honeychurch may have had his best game since being recalled, but we need to kick more goals.
It was great to see Picko finally getting back into form.

kruder
17-07-2017, 03:30 PM
Id play Cloke and Redpath and give them a string of games together( until Boyd is ready). We are too trigger happy to drop players and if HoneyChurch deserves a month of footy so do these two. It also enables Bont to play more midfield and never be seen in the ruck again.

Im happy for Easton to play at Footscray and learn how to mark the ball again, I think it will help his confidence significantly.

Out Stringer

In Cloke

Honey isn't AFL standard but will play again after hearing Bevo's comments and Dickson a big chance also.

bornadog
17-07-2017, 03:31 PM
Id play Cloke and Redpath and give them a string of games together( until Boyd is ready). We are too trigger happy to drop players and if HoneyChurch deserves a month of footy so do these two. It also enables Bont to play more midfield and never be seen in the ruck again.

Im happy for Easton to play at Footscray and learn how to mark the ball again, I think it will help his confidence significantly.

Out Stringer

In Cloke

Honey isn't AFL standard but will play again after hearing Bevo's comments and Dickson a big chance also.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DE6OQQXUAAAo_C9.jpg:large

Mantis
17-07-2017, 03:53 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DE6OQQXUAAAo_C9.jpg:large

Be nice if he made the most of those opportunites..A small forward who has kicked 1.9 in 5 games is going to have a short shelf life.

bornadog
17-07-2017, 04:26 PM
Be nice if he made the most of those opportunities..A small forward who has kicked 1.9 in 5 games is going to have a short shelf life.

An insight into what his role was. Us supporters just expect him to be a tackling small forward and kicking goals.

We forget he has only played 12 games.

Topdog
17-07-2017, 05:42 PM
Be nice if he made the most of those opportunites..A small forward who has kicked 1.9 in 5 games is going to have a short shelf life.

We could be looking at him so differently if he was even just 5.5.

He seems like is having constant nearly games. I'm prepared to give him the rest of the season

GVGjr
17-07-2017, 10:55 PM
Huge game for both sides, Rocket needs a win to hopefully get an extension and we need to see if this could be the spark we need.

Happy Days
17-07-2017, 11:26 PM
In: Cloke, Wood

Out: Stringer, Williams

No way that Wood doesn't/shouldn't come back in if he's fit. Our defence looked cohesive sure, but we were playing Carlton, who notably do not currently have Tom Lynch or Peter Wright under contract.

Honeychurch gets another week to show us he can't play before losing his spot to a hopefully rejuvenated Dickson. I'm not thrilled about playing Cloke but our hand is kind of being forced.

jeemak
18-07-2017, 12:32 AM
I started my live viewing experience looking for the things Honey couldn't do on Sunday and boy he didn't disappoint. That intercepted kick, plus the punch at half forward instead of marking or halving the contest had me going rampant pretty early.

But, after being so bloody annoyed the next two or so quarters showed me why I have actually had faith in him to now. Here's an interesting set of numbers that need to be taken with a grain of salt other than thinking - if Honey could kick a bit straighter how would they look?

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=14&type=A&pid1=3973&pid2=1773&fid1=O&fid2=O

bornadog
18-07-2017, 10:13 AM
I started my live viewing experience looking for the things Honey couldn't do on Sunday and boy he didn't disappoint. That intercepted kick, plus the punch at half forward instead of marking or halving the contest had me going rampant pretty early.

But, after being so bloody annoyed the next two or so quarters showed me why I have actually had faith in him to now. Here's an interesting set of numbers that need to be taken with a grain of salt other than thinking - if Honey could kick a bit straighter how would they look?

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=14&type=A&pid1=3973&pid2=1773&fid1=O&fid2=O

Thanks J, Very similar numbers. We expect a lot of some players who have had very little experience.

Topdog
18-07-2017, 10:40 AM

I like him but if he doesnt improve his goalkicking he will be delisted.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-07-2017, 10:43 AM

Feels like Honey has been around for ages but we often forget he's only 22. Those numbers aren't exactly impressive, not bad either, but the one that does stand out as you say is his scoring attempts per game. At least he is hitting the scoreboard.

I suppose this becomes a list management discussion. Because we need to make minimum 4? changes at year end. He's towards the bottom of the pecking order but with a number of retirements (2 or maybe 3) he might get another year at it to prove his worth

azabob
19-07-2017, 10:40 AM
According to Mark Stevens, Redpath in doubt with a hip issue.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-07-2017, 11:18 AM

With Wood coming back maybe we see Young switched forward? It would be very tough to drop him after such a good game, but who else do you drop from the backline? On form its Murph, but one game back you can't really do that. Williams played well too. Finally we have 'good' selection problems. Bevo did mention the side is likely to be as unchanged as possible which indicates we're unlikely to see omissions.

Perhaps:

IN: Cloke, Wood
OUT: Redpath, Stringer

Then Murph swings forward?

Topdog
19-07-2017, 12:03 PM
Murph might be rested with the game in Darwin.

bornadog
19-07-2017, 12:56 PM
Dickson also a chance to come in.

ledge
19-07-2017, 01:22 PM

According to Bevo Redpath is going up.

Axe Man
19-07-2017, 01:41 PM
According to Bevo Redpath is going up.

If I were Redpath I would insist on going up regardless of whether he is going to play or not, simply to escape to the warm weather for a couple of days!

1eyedog
19-07-2017, 04:40 PM
We could be looking at him so differently if he was even just 5.5.

He seems like is having constant nearly games. I'm prepared to give him the rest of the season

Me too. That Kruezer run down, link through the middle kick to Picken and then mark off the boot of Redpath for a goal was stirring stuff.

Mofra
19-07-2017, 05:05 PM
With Wood coming back maybe we see Young switched forward?
I'd hate to see us play Wood as a tall.
He's giving up ~15cm on either Lynch or PW

bornadog
19-07-2017, 06:11 PM

THIS ^^^^

The big problem at our club, that just continues.

Off the top of my head, Wood, Morris, Hargrave, Kretiuk, Ellis all having to give inches away and sacrificing their game for the good of the team.

Eastdog
19-07-2017, 06:18 PM
With Cloke only if he is 100% ready to go we select him. Great reports from the VFL on his performances. We just haven't had any sort of cohesion in the forward line particular also with Crameri out as well as Boyd but hopefully we get it soon.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-07-2017, 08:50 PM

The decision to play Wood for most of the year as a key defender has clearly dimmed his effectiveness which was most evident last year playing on a back flank where his excellent marking and dash against similar size players made him a stand out.

kruder
19-07-2017, 09:05 PM
The decision to play Wood for most of the year as a key defender has clearly dimmed his effectiveness which was most evident last year playing on a back flank where his excellent marking and dash against similar size players made him a stand out.

Your giving him an easy out there. A young kid played his role on the weekend how many intercept marks did he take?

always right
19-07-2017, 09:21 PM
Your giving him an easy out there. A young kid played his role on the weekend how many intercept marks did he take?

Do you reckon Carlton put as much planning into negating Young's influence as clubs normally do for Wood? The benefits of being a first gamer with no expectations versus an AA defender.

kruder
19-07-2017, 09:35 PM
Do you reckon Carlton put as much planning into negating Young's influence as clubs normally do for Wood? The benefits of being a first gamer with no expectations versus an AA defender.

Well of course not but you gotta be able to handle that as a Vice Captain and All Australian at the peek of your career. Being made accountable by the opposition isn't an excuse for mine all good players have to deal with that week in week out. It was refreshing seeing a defender in our back 6 mark the ball it hasn't happened all year.

jeemak
19-07-2017, 09:39 PM
Easton is at least 11cm shorter than Young! Young played against a side that puts extra numbers behind the ball, to a greater extent than we've seen this year.

Let's be reasonable with our comparisons. Young played a fantastic game, but Carlton's set up and scrappy ball movement had a fair bit to do with how he played and the opportunity to influence the game he enjoyed.

always right
19-07-2017, 09:49 PM
Well of course not but you gotta be able to handle that as a Vice Captain and All Australian at the peek of your career. Being made accountable by the opposition isn't an excuse for mine all good players have to deal with that week in week out. It was refreshing seeing a defender in our back 6 mark the ball it hasn't happened all year.

Not to diminish Young's performance but it helps when your opposition doesn't make you accountable and is so predictable with their ball movement.

boydogs
19-07-2017, 11:05 PM

Agree, it didn't stop Wood in 2015 or 2016. Watching Young mark it and set up attacks in the other direction made me realise how much we miss Wood's work in launching attacks from the backline

jeemak
20-07-2017, 01:25 AM
Just watching the second quarter again because that's about as good as things get for this mediocre season, and just reviewed the Honeychurch tackle on Kreuzer, possession that Picken did his best to not mark, and then follow up to the Red mongrel - then goal -
and thought that if this was any other season in which a 12 game veteran did what HC did in that sequence we'd be creaming.

Premierships change people. Find me a better play this year.

Mantis
20-07-2017, 01:24 PM
Cloke & Redpath both on the flight up North.

edit. AFL website reporting that Cloke isn't making the trip with the rest of the team.

bornadog
20-07-2017, 04:34 PM

edit. AFL website reporting that Cloke isn't making the trip with the rest of the team.

Maybe he is on a separate flight?

Danny the snakeman
20-07-2017, 05:53 PM

And you said it with such confidence.;)

Mantis
20-07-2017, 06:21 PM

I listened to Stevo... Lesson learnt.

bornadog
20-07-2017, 06:25 PM

Mark Stevo usually on the ball, so we will see.

Sedat
20-07-2017, 06:26 PM
Our problems up forward could be resolved with Bob moving into F50 on a more permanent basis. Young has added much needed height and flexibility down back and we could really do with some creativity and talent into the forward 50. With Zaine, Dale, Wood, Biggs, Williams, Suckers and JJ all part of the D50 we have a good mix without Bob needed down there. Bob knows his forward craft as well as anyone and would add an element of danger for opposition defenders. Worth a shot as our forward 50 is borderline dysfunctional.

bulldogsthru&thru
20-07-2017, 07:23 PM
Wood in Stringer out

Also Ablett out for suns

hujsh
20-07-2017, 07:26 PM
if that's all the changes then Murph forward sounds even better to me.

Scraggers
20-07-2017, 07:28 PM
if that's all the changes then Murph forward sounds even better to me.

What about Lewis Young going forward. He played most of his junior footy as a lead up forward.

bornadog
20-07-2017, 07:50 PM
What about Lewis Young going forward. He played most of his junior footy as a lead up forward.

Who plays on their monsters?

Ozza
20-07-2017, 08:01 PM

Plan B (or C) only i think. The kid is playing his second game - prefer if he is somewhat settled.

Happy to see only the one change - nice to be quite settled for once. Nice to see the little master miss for them (plus May and Lyons too obviously - both good players).

hujsh
20-07-2017, 08:03 PM

Not sure about it. Has played mostly in defence at Footscray from reports and would him playing back means Wood can play smaller and hopefully help out Cordy/Young against their tall forwards instead of having him or Morris take them directly

merantau
20-07-2017, 08:09 PM
Mark Stevo usually on the ball, so we will see.

Stevo has a very good relationship with the Club. His old man went to Maribrynong High. I played against him in 1966. I'd say Stevo's a lifetime Bulldog supporter.

Remi Moses
20-07-2017, 08:12 PM
Mark cops heaps on social media for his bulldog bias , but he's usually on the money with his reporting .
Bit of buyer beware for Geelong with Ablett . He's body isn't standing up

bornadog
20-07-2017, 08:13 PM
Stevo has a very good relationship with the Club. His old man went to Maribrynong High. I played against him in 1966. I'd say Stevo's a lifetime Bulldog supporter.

Yes he is a doggies supporter. Nice bloke too, played golf with him and Bob once and it was alot of fun.

jeemak
20-07-2017, 08:21 PM
I think I'd like Young to settle in defence, and agree that we should play Murphy in attack.

It wouldn't surprise me if a couple of the emergencies fly up tomorrow and more changes are made.

Doc26
20-07-2017, 08:59 PM
Yes he is a doggies supporter. Nice bloke too, played golf with him and Bob once and it was alot of fun.

Wow, great experience BD.

ledge
20-07-2017, 09:04 PM
Bontempelli was asked if Stevo spent more time at the club than him,his reply was yes :-)
Had a great time with stevo at training before the pre Lim last year , my mate had those bulldog sunglasses on , he borrowed them for about an hour , I have some pics with him giving the thumbs up with them on.

bornadog
21-07-2017, 11:19 AM
Dickson in Cairns as the travelling emergency.

boydogs
21-07-2017, 12:49 PM
Went to the open training session this morning

- Dickson is the travelling emergency, Cloke & Webb not here

- Training consisted of an opening jog, kick to kick over 30m in pairs, kicking to the side of the player to run onto it over 30m in pairs, gathering a loose ball and handballing back, leaping for a mark with the ball thrown in the air, and goalkicking practice

- Dickson, Wallis, Morris & Murphy did handball drills after the 30m kicking

- This is the cleanest Bulldogs side with their skills I have ever seen. Very few fumbles, dropped marks or shanked kicks. Perfect execution on both sides of the body, clean pickups and quick hands

- When the players got in a line to have a set shot from the same spot (35m out 45 degree angle), everyone kicked the goal except Mitch Honeychurch. Not fair on him though as he was kicking straight before that when they were all spread out having shots. Remarkable accuracy, most put it through the middle with only Macrae and Cordy towards the far post but still straight

- Suckling is a lair, every shot was a torp, snap or off one step. Most missed

- Daniel didn't do a thing wrong all session. Remarkably well balanced and clean with his skills, keeps the ball low when kicking so it travels to his target quickly

- Lewis Young looks like an excitable kid who can't believe where he is and is enjoying every second

- We look short and slight as a group with Roughead, Redpath, Cordy & Young the only talls, Morris & Bonts excluded

Mantis
21-07-2017, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the summary... How did Redpath move? Reports are that he hasn't trained much all week.

Topdog
21-07-2017, 01:27 PM
Looking at the team names Murphy on the wing with Bont lining up at CHF.

bornadog
21-07-2017, 03:43 PM

Resting Ruck/Forward. :D

bornadog
21-07-2017, 03:45 PM
Went to the open training session this morning

- Dickson is the travelling emergency, Cloke & Webb not here

- Training consisted of an opening jog, kick to kick over 30m in pairs, kicking to the side of the player to run onto it over 30m in pairs, gathering a loose ball and handballing back, leaping for a mark with the ball thrown in the air, and goalkicking practice

- Dickson, Wallis, Morris & Murphy did handball drills after the 30m kicking

- This is the cleanest Bulldogs side with their skills I have ever seen. Very few fumbles, dropped marks or shanked kicks. Perfect execution on both sides of the body, clean pickups and quick hands

- When the players got in a line to have a set shot from the same spot (35m out 45 degree angle), everyone kicked the goal except Mitch Honeychurch. Not fair on him though as he was kicking straight before that when they were all spread out having shots. Remarkable accuracy, most put it through the middle with only Macrae and Cordy towards the far post but still straight

- Suckling is a lair, every shot was a torp, snap or off one step. Most missed

- Daniel didn't do a thing wrong all session. Remarkably well balanced and clean with his skills, keeps the ball low when kicking so it travels to his target quickly

- Lewis Young looks like an excitable kid who can't believe where he is and is enjoying every second

- We look short and slight as a group with Roughead, Redpath, Cordy & Young the only talls, Morris & Bonts excluded

Good Crowd there:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFOCsL0UAAAx1PO.jpg

Axe Man
21-07-2017, 04:56 PM
Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-21/late-mail-live-team-news-and-whispers-ahead-of-round-18)

WESTERN Bulldogs key forward Jack Redpath has shaken off a hip concern and will line up against Gold Coast in Cairns on Saturday.

The hulking 26-year-old was spotted getting scans during the week, but he trained strongly at Cazaly’s Stadium on Friday afternoon, and ruckman Jordan Roughead says Redpath will face the Suns.

Premiership forward Tory Dickson is the travelling emergency in case the Kyneton product doesn’t come up.

“As far as I’m aware (he’s going to play), he trained strongly this morning, so he looks good,” Roughead said.

While Roughead expects Redpath to give him a hand in the ruck against Sun Jarrad Witts, he’s not anticipating superstar Marcus Bontempelli to reprise his part-time role in the highly-combative position like he has done in the past.

"They try and keep the Lamborghinis out of the ruck, so we’ll let him run around in the midfield and do his best work in there," Roughead said.

"Big Jack Redpath will give me a bit of help in there, no doubt."

"Jarrad Witts is some good form in his first year at the Suns, so the challenge is ahead of us, but we look forward to it."

With speculation strong Travis Cloke would be a replacement for the injured Jake Stringer, the former Magpie didn’t make the trip to Cairns, and remained in Melbourne along with fellow emergency Lukas Webb.

westdog54
21-07-2017, 06:35 PM

From Damian Barrett's Sliding Doors column today:

If

Danger managed 11 shots at goal last week ...

Then

... we reckon Bont has got a dozen in him this week. If he starts and stays forward against the May-less Suns backline, look out.

As much as I don't rate Barrett's knowledge of the game itself, I think he's onto something. With no Gaz in the engine room and no May down back, they're ripe for the picking.

Topdog
21-07-2017, 07:29 PM
From Damian Barrett's Sliding Doors column today:

As much as I don't rate Barrett's knowledge of the game itself, I think he's onto something. With no Gaz in the engine room and no May down back, they're ripe for the picking.

It's actually just Barrett being Barrett and placing ludicrous expectations on our players. He has done it probably 5 times this season.

boydogs
21-07-2017, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the summary... How did Redpath move? Reports are that he hasn't trained much all week.

He and Dickson seemed short of a gallop, might be why we played Bonts in the ruck last week

Roughead made some interesting comments about that though in the article above

boydogs
21-07-2017, 11:35 PM

Yep, time to unleash Colemanpelli

LostDoggy
22-07-2017, 08:27 AM

And our named CHF for Footscray is Lukas Webb.....

Rocket Science
22-07-2017, 01:35 PM

Shades of way back when, feeling much the same about the West Coke game.

I'll happily settle for the largely unconvincing 2 goal win we'll likely scrape together today.

Twodogs
22-07-2017, 03:05 PM
And our named CHF for Footscray is Lukas Webb.....

Zaine Cordy is an actual premiership CHF. I love Zaine and everything but that takes a bit to get your head around. Especially when you think premiership CHFs? Hmmm Royce Hart, Darryl Baldock, Zaine Cordy!

bornadog
22-07-2017, 03:40 PM
Zaine Cordy is an actual premiership CHF. I love Zaine and everything but that takes a bit to get your head around. Especially when you think premiership CHFs? Hmmm Royce Hart, Darryl Baldock, Zaine Cordy!
In his 11 th game