PDA

View Full Version : Bankers And Anchors - Round 19, 2017 vs Essendon

Eastdog
03-06-2017, 09:51 PM
This is the round 19, 2017 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Essendon is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Optional: New addition to the Bankers and Anchors Banchors 3 players we thought who were in the middle in how they went in the game neither a Banker or Anchor.

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
30-07-2017, 11:34 AM
Bump

bulldogtragic
30-07-2017, 05:05 PM
B

Lewis Young's inside 50 pass to Dickson. That's the best inside 50 kick of any player, of any team this year. What a kick.
Webby. Kicked two in the first half to keep us in it. Good leading. Nice kicking. I think a run of games will get the 'Bailey Dale' result.
Bonts. What a freak.
Zaine. That 5-7 minutes must have killed him physically and impact his concentration. He was a one man wall, just don't let Trump know how good is at a bring a wall and keeping drugs (cheats) out.

A

Missing easy shots. Just fix it please.
(Soft one, very, very soft anchor) Lewis Young. Came up against blokes twice as big as him, who have taught him good learnings about positioning. As I say not a real anchor, but he played ok and this was valuable experience against really big blokes. And I like him giving it to them as well, he doesn't take a backwards step either.

hujsh
30-07-2017, 05:12 PM
Banker:
Kicking goals. It's fun. Lets keep doing it.
Return of some stars to their best. JJ & Bontempelli in particular but also Biggs and Roughead playing their best games in a while (though Biggs has been good since returning) and even Cloke kicking that goal was great
Young guys making their mark. Webb standing up early, Young, McLean and Dale continuing to play well and Cordy putting in some amazing efforts (or is he an old veteran, I can never remember)

Anchor:
Most of the last quarter
Missing easy set shots still

Bonus Baker!!!!!!
Goddard being a dickhead and giving us extra percentage. Thanks. Hope you miss the 8 by a goal

comrade
30-07-2017, 05:26 PM
Bonus Baker!!!!!!
Goddard being a dickhead and giving us extra percentage. Thanks. Hope you miss the 8 by a goal

Nothing I love more than a good Toby high free kick. To then get a 50m penalty and a goal, and the fact it was against that flog, well that's as sweet as it gets.

Loved the response from the whole team too. The most united we've been since last October.

bornadog
30-07-2017, 05:54 PM
Nothing I love more than a good Toby high free kick. To then get a 50m penalty and a goal, and the fact it was against that flog, well that's as sweet as it gets.

Loved the response from the whole team too. The most united we've been since last October.

Goddard's gutless dog act, pressing Mclean's head into the turf - shit his pants when The Bont grabbed him by the jumper.

bornadog
30-07-2017, 05:59 PM
Bankers

1. JJ's 4 goals and his hard running.

2. The Bont turning it on and sealing the game in the last 5 minutes.

3. The backline - Cordy, Young, Williams - all kids under 21 years old, all with poise and not panicking.

Anchors

1. I thought Wood played his worse game, but as usual, he had to play on tall players which stops his effectiveness.

2. Goddard's dog act

3. The inconsistency of the umpires for similar things, like HTB, chopping arms etc

The fans

Great to see a huge crowd - I think it was one of the biggest between the two clubs.

Happy Days
30-07-2017, 06:11 PM
Goddard's gutless dog act, pressing Mclean's head into the turf - shit his pants when The Bont grabbed him by the jumper.

How good was him giving it to Toby *after* he kicked the goal too?

Getting into him about a goal he kicked, in a game he won? Wanker.

hujsh
30-07-2017, 06:31 PM
3. The backline - Cordy, Young, Williams - all kids under 2 years old, all with poise and not panicking.

Fair effort

https://brokenaarrow.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/267046-gabriel-caride.jpg

bulldogtragic
30-07-2017, 06:34 PM
Fair effort

Time to make a call on this spud. We need to play the 6 month olds to see if they can play.

bornadog
30-07-2017, 06:45 PM
Fair effort

That made me laugh, good pickup

boydogs
30-07-2017, 07:00 PM
Bankers

Biggs' ball use was exceptional
JJ brought his kicking boots, 3 goals from outside 50
Bonts standing up when we needed him to in the last

Banchor
Cordy struggled to get a spoil in most of the day but his last quarter deserves a mention

Anchors
Lewis Young pushed or held off it too easily, not just through a lack of strength but through a lack of awareness of his opponent, and therefore a lack of energy in the contest. It will come but he looked much more vulnerable this week
Out the back defense - if we didn't manage to tackle and win the ball back around our 50, it was a shot at goal for Essendon. We're lucky they missed so much, we both had 32 scoring shots
Slow start - we've conceded the first 3 goals in each of the last 3 weeks

merantau
30-07-2017, 08:25 PM
Bankers.
Biggs. Great 4 quarter game. Hardly put a foot wrong apart from a missed tackle in the last.
JJ - his dash, marking and goal kicking make him a very dangerous player. Multi -pronged weapon. All is forgiven JJ. You are back in my good books
LIBBA!!! Kept a very good player quiet, did some damage by foot, kicked a goal and got summoned up his mongrel. Great to have him back.

Anchors.
1. Missed easy shots
2. Missed easy shots at critical moments
3. Some work to do still on bringing the ball inside 50

Eastdog
30-07-2017, 09:20 PM
Bankers:

JJ - he is back I reckon - loved his run today through the middle and kicked a couple

Dicko - great to see him back got a few as well

Hardworking defence - Cordy and Young in particular

Anchors

Suckling turning it over in the last quarter - his best is really good but his worst not good at all

A few missed shots at goal a little frustrating

Our defence at times earlier in the game but as the game went on they held up quite well.

Eastdog
30-07-2017, 09:21 PM
Libba very Banker worthy today as well.

Remi Moses
30-07-2017, 09:26 PM
B- The Bont ( looked like there was two of him out there)
- JJ's freed up with the contract all sorted
- scoring over 100 pts
A- Conceding 32 scoring shots.im sure Bevo's not happy with that
- The turnovers . Just so costly

westbulldog
31-07-2017, 02:31 AM
Bankers
Libba, glimpses today of how damn good he can be.
The kids in the backline and Cordy's one percenters.
Bontempelli, surely in the absolute elite category of the AFL.

Anchors
Missing a few gettable shots but 19-13 is a positive.

always right
31-07-2017, 09:58 AM
Bankers
Bont.....have rarely seen anyone in our team influence a game like he did yesterday. He was playing on a different level.
JJ.....what a crowd lifter he is when he takes off with ball in hand. His conversions from long range were just what we needed.
Williams and Webb....without getting a huge amount of the ball, their kicking stands out in a side where our field kicking sometimes lacks precision.

Banchors
Terrific game from Roughy but I'd love him to improve his goal kicking percentage.
Ditto for Hunter who kicks the difficult ones and then sprays the easy ones.
Suckling....he's just a permanent fixture in the Banchors section.

Anchors
Goddard.....perfect pointing game from him.
Hooker.....just for the haircut and his arrogance.
Bellchambers.....never seen a worse player when the ball hits the ground...and he just looks like a flog of a bloke.

ratsmac
01-08-2017, 01:42 AM
Bankers

1. Lewis Young's save on the goal line against Hooker. Stopped a certain goal.
2. Biggs return to form. His pressure and sharp skills were outstanding.
3. Kicking over 100 points before 3qtr time.

Banchors

1.Zaine Cordy. Last quarter effort. Some game saving spoils against Daniher who was running hot. Banchor because Daniher still kicked 6.4 I'm assuming Cordy was responsible for him most of the time.
2. Bont's goal kicking. He could of easily had 5 goals and we would be talking about this game for years. However his clutch set shot goal in the last is a banker every day of the week.

Anchors

1. Allowing players out the back. There were countless times where Essendon forwards had ideal position to mark with our defenders running back with the flight.
2. Giving away silly 50 metre penalties.

bornadog
01-08-2017, 10:57 AM
1.Zaine Cordy. Last quarter effort. Some game saving spoils against Daniher who was running hot. Banchor because Daniher still kicked 6.4 I'm assuming Cordy was responsible for him most of the time.

He was also conceding 8cm, and Joe can jump a mile in the air as well.

Mantis
01-08-2017, 11:39 AM
Bankers

1. Lewis Young's save on the goal line against Hooker. Stopped a certain goal.
2. Biggs return to form. His pressure and sharp skills were outstanding.
3. Kicking over 100 points before 3qtr time.

Banchors

2. Bont's goal kicking. He could of easily had 5 goals and we would be talking about this game for years. However his clutch set shot goal in the last is a banker every day of the week.

Anchors

1. Allowing players out the back. There were countless times where Essendon forwards had ideal position to mark with our defenders running back with the flight.
2. Giving away silly 50 metre penalties.

His tackling was horrid though... Just got brushed aside far too easily.