PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 20, 2017 vs Brisbane Lions

Eastdog
03-06-2017, 09:52 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 20, 2017 match against Brisbane Lions at the Gabba?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
30-07-2017, 11:34 AM
Bump

bulldogtragic
30-07-2017, 04:56 PM
No Change

(Unless Stringer or Tom Boyd are match fit)

Bulldog4life
30-07-2017, 05:03 PM
One change for me Red in for Cloke. At this stage of their careers Red is better than Cloke. Simple as that.

Pickenitup
30-07-2017, 05:38 PM
Clokey was good provided a great target

bornadog
30-07-2017, 05:39 PM

Agree, I thought he played well. Wouldn't drop him at all.

josie
30-07-2017, 05:40 PM
No change for me. Suckers played well today. Happy for Webb and two Baileys too.

bulldogtragic
30-07-2017, 05:42 PM

Yep. Some good tackling and pressure efforts too. Webb's missed shot in the last came from repeat tackling efforts from Cloke. And kicked a good goal on his right foot. He's done enough to keep his spot, but where he's at right now, investing in his confidence off the back of team things could reap us some big rewards.

Bulldog4life
30-07-2017, 05:59 PM
Agree, I thought he played well. Wouldn't drop him at all.

I thought he was ok too. Yet if it was Redders playing as good as Cloke did there would be screams from the gallery he should be dropped. Very puzzling.

GVGjr
30-07-2017, 06:24 PM
No Change

(Unless Stringer or Tom Boyd are match fit)

Stringer confirmed today that the focus for him is to return against GWS. He ran 10K yesterday and pulled up well today
Adams a slight chance to return before the end of the season

LostDoggy
30-07-2017, 06:26 PM
Yep No change

bulldogtragic
30-07-2017, 06:32 PM
Stringer confirmed today that the focus for him is to return against GWS. He ran 10K yesterday and pulled up well today
Adams a slight chance to return before the end of the season

Can you imagine 'if' we make finals...

Tom Boyd, Stringer, Adams, Morris & Dunkley could be back with the week off before the finals start. Queue the outcry!!!

bornadog
30-07-2017, 06:37 PM
Can you imagine 'if' we make finals...

Tom Boyd, Stringer, Adams, Morris & Dunkley could be back with the week off before the finals start. Queue the outcry!!!

Yep a lot still sooking that we had the opportunity to bring back 4 players last year, but hey so did everyone else.

bulldogtragic
30-07-2017, 06:38 PM
Yep a lot still sooking that we had the opportunity to bring back 4 players last year, but hey so did everyone else.

No we are cheats. Read the script...

Go_Dogs
30-07-2017, 06:43 PM
No we are cheats. Read the script...

How the AFL gave us a week off and no one else will forever be a mystery.

bornadog
30-07-2017, 06:50 PM
Can we play Redpath and Cloke in the same team?

chef
30-07-2017, 06:54 PM

No. One or the other for me.

Doc26
30-07-2017, 06:56 PM

Could get away with it against the Lions with their tall KPDs in McStay, Andrews and Gardiner but false economy for the following week against the Giants who are far more mobile in defence. I'd default for a settled line up going into the Giants game the following week. So a no for me and retain Travis, with Jake the only likely inclusion for the Giants game.

azabob
30-07-2017, 07:48 PM
No change.

Topdog
30-07-2017, 07:57 PM
No change.

soupman
30-07-2017, 08:18 PM
I'd bring Redpath in for Cloke.

Cloke needs to kill more contests or stick more tackles for mine. Redpath does go missing for large periods but does have a knack for taking his opportunities on goal.

boydogs
30-07-2017, 08:22 PM
Cloke competed well and attracted attention to bring the smalls into the game, stiff on Redpath though for a questionable suspension whilst standing up for his team mate to cost him his spot on the side. Same for Honey who was a late withdrawal

comrade
30-07-2017, 08:36 PM
Cloke can't seem to make position in enough contests at the highest level. You'd probably give him another week given he's been out for so long but it's stiff on Redpath who played his best game last week.

Definitely need to keep Webb in.

azabob
30-07-2017, 08:40 PM
Hopefully Young isn't injured. I am also worried about him being so slight week in week out may test him.

hujsh
30-07-2017, 08:59 PM
How the AFL gave us a week off and no one else will forever be a mystery.

Both ethically and logistically.

bornadog
30-07-2017, 09:11 PM
Hopefully Young isn't injured. I am also worried about him being so slight week in week out may test him.

He looked a bit proppy going off in that third term

jeemak
30-07-2017, 09:16 PM
I'd like to see Cloke and Red play together, but not at the expense of anyone who played today.

So unless there's a forced change, no change for mine.

MrMahatma
31-07-2017, 12:37 AM
I don't know anything about forward running patterns and things like that, but I do know that the forward line clicked better today than it has in a while. No offence to Red, but why change that? Surely chemistry and overall forward output is the result of the guys who played. Keep playing them.

strebla
31-07-2017, 12:55 AM
Ha hahahahahahaa that was bought up at work today by a hawks fans. How dare we take advantage of he rules and win the flag.

jeemak
31-07-2017, 12:57 AM
Ha hahahahahahaa that was bought up at work today by a hawks fans. How dare we take advantage of he rules and win the flag.

Context to the power of sick.

jeemak
31-07-2017, 01:00 AM
I don't know anything about forward running patterns and things like that, but I do know that the forward line clicked better today than it has in a while. No offence to Red, but why change that? Surely chemistry and overall forward output is the result of the guys who played. Keep playing them.

The way the game works now is it has just as much to do with what happens in the first and second lines of defence. We got that right, all of a sudden we had space in the forward line because opposition numbers didn't get the chance to get back. It's not a forward personnel thing mainly.

westbulldog
31-07-2017, 02:36 AM
Today's game was our best of the year. No change.

LostDoggy
31-07-2017, 06:44 AM
With a Brisbane trip and back to back 6 day breaks coming up, I wonder if a player or 2 may be left out this week to refresh. Suckling, Picken, JJ, Bont, Dahl, Macrae and Hunter have played every game this year, Wood has missed 1. Wouldn't surprise if 1 or 2 of these are very sore and would benefit from a week to freshen up.

SlimPickens
31-07-2017, 08:40 AM
With a Brisbane trip and back to back 6 day breaks coming up, I wonder if a player or 2 may be left out this week to refresh. Suckling, Picken, JJ, Bont, Dahl, Macrae and Hunter have played every game this year, Wood has missed 1. Wouldn't surprise if 1 or 2 of these are very sore and would benefit from a week to freshen up.

I don't think we're in a position to be resting players, regardless of the opponent we must win. They can have a week off between r23 and the first week of finals.

always right
31-07-2017, 09:47 AM
Only one potential change barring injury.....Redpath for Cloke. Not expecting that to happen though judging by Bevo's presser where he suggested it would be hard to drop anyone on yesterday's performance. Honeychurch probably deserves to come back in but Webb was serviceable yesterday and his kicking is a weapon.

Ozza
31-07-2017, 10:37 AM
Seeing as we have come off Cairns travel, and then are travelling again to Brisbane, and a 6 day break - it is very reasonable to have this in consideration.

Lewis Young has been terrific to start his career - but you'd have to think the travel, 6 day break and that he came off with some knee soreness late in the game - we'd have to consider giving him a week off and bringing him back for the GWS big forwards.

Prefer Red to Cloke - but its a hard one. Cloke had some pretty ordinary efforts, and some poor kicks inside 50 when he should have given the hands to the running player or just simply kicked it to our advantage. However, he did battle on ok when he was needed in the ruck. Don't really like dropping someone after one game.

Will be interesting to see how the short break/travel influences selection.

Ozza
31-07-2017, 10:39 AM
Only one potential change barring injury.....Redpath for Cloke. Not expecting that to happen though judging by Bevo's presser where he suggested it would be hard to drop anyone on yesterday's performance. Honeychurch probably deserves to come back in but Webb was serviceable yesterday and his kicking is a weapon.

Webb's skill level is fantastic. How was the way he one-grabbed that footy on the members side flank in the 3rd quarter.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-07-2017, 11:15 AM
Webb's skill level is fantastic. How was the way he one-grabbed that footy on the members side flank in the 3rd quarter.

Hope he plays for the rest of the year.

Still think we're playing him out of position as a HFF only. I'd like to see him as a winger or HBF at times.

G-Mo77
31-07-2017, 11:52 AM
Sweet Lew went of injured late in the game so hope he's good to go up North.

Honeychurch, Redpath and Boyd probably the only ones in the mix.

Bulldog Joe
31-07-2017, 01:48 PM
A rest for Young would not go astray.

Tough to play the next 2 off 2 6 day breaks including a second interstate trip in 3 weeks.

bornadog
31-07-2017, 03:33 PM
A rest for Young would not go astray.

Tough to play the next 2 off 2 6 day breaks including a second interstate trip in 3 weeks.

Who comes in?

Ozza
31-07-2017, 03:41 PM
Who comes in?

If Young needs a rest, then its Roberts in. You would think Roberts would be a good match up for Schache, and Cordy goes to Hipwood.

Bulldog Joe
31-07-2017, 03:48 PM
If Young needs a rest, then its Roberts in. You would think Roberts would be a good match up for Schache, and Cordy goes to Hipwood.

Yes.
I would bring Roberts in and rest Young.

The Pie Man
31-07-2017, 04:19 PM
Based on the VFL game, I wouldn't have thought Fletch was a promotion candidate. Hoping Young will get up.

bornadog
31-07-2017, 04:23 PM
Based on the VFL game, I wouldn't have thought Fletch was a promotion candidate. Hoping Young will get up.

Even my wife who knows nothing about Footy, said on Saturday, Roberts looks like he is lost out there not knowing what to do. His confidence is so low.

On the other hand, Collins looked like he had a slight ankle injury, although he came back on.

G-Mo77
31-07-2017, 05:01 PM
Even my wife who knows nothing about Footy, said on Saturday, Roberts looks like he is lost out there not knowing what to do. His confidence is so low.

On the other hand, Collins looked like he had a slight ankle injury, although he came back on.

Yeah Roberts was lost as was every other defender who got caught out with a strong wind. While I am defending his game on Saturday I don't think he'll come in. Bevo said Lew should be ok so hopefully he'll play.

Mofra
31-07-2017, 05:05 PM
That would be amazing

hujsh
31-07-2017, 06:51 PM

Having 2015 flashbacks at the mention of this

GVGjr
31-07-2017, 07:40 PM

The issue is that he could potentially be asked to back up again with 6 days for GWS. Roberts for Lewis Young is a reasonable option to keep Young fresh for the balance of the season. I wouldn't read too much into the Williamstown game

Bullies
02-08-2017, 08:59 PM
Having 2015 flashbacks at the mention of thisby all accounts Brisbane are treating this as their "Grand Final"

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-08-2017, 09:07 PM
by all accounts Brisbane are treating this as their "Grand Final"

I thought as much by their team selection last week. They were resting young guys on the back of missing Zorko - and therefore conceding they were going to be up against it in Perth.
We're going to need to come out full of vim and vigour right from the get go.
If we even entertain the notion, for even a second, that this is 4 points in the bag, we're going to get a rude shock.

bornadog
02-08-2017, 09:12 PM
I thought as much by their team selection last week. They were resting young guys on the back of missing Zorko - and therefore conceding they were going to be up against it in Perth.
We're going to need to come out full of vim and vigour right from the get go.
If we even entertain the notion, for even a second, that this is 4 points in the bag, we're going to get a rude shock.

Will you be there with your son?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-08-2017, 09:51 PM
Will you be there with your son?

That was the plan. Its looking a bit shaky now. My wife may have to work.
He's not to pleased, nor am I, but I've tried to soften the blow by promising him a trip to Melbourne next year, just me and him, if it transpires that we can't go this Saturday.

MrMahatma
03-08-2017, 02:05 AM
I'll be there. Bring it on!

Bad memories of recent form up here though. Loses to GC (pre-season) and Lions in recent time mean I'm not getting cocky to Lions fans.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-08-2017, 12:06 PM
I'll be there. Bring it on!

Bad memories of recent form up here though. Loses to GC (pre-season) and Lions in recent time mean I'm not getting cocky to Lions fans.

Like a Ducati at the lights next to a revving Honda, you don't have to prove a thing.

Bureau says fine and 25deg in Brisbane on Sat. Perhaps another shootout.

The Pie Man
03-08-2017, 02:35 PM
Unless someone is sore/injured that we're not aware of, it's probably unchanged.

Thought of resting Murphy for the trip (Redpath in) but what if it gets tight and we need that leadership? If Murph doesn't play, that's a young side.

Axe Man
03-08-2017, 04:01 PM
Unless someone is sore/injured that we're not aware of, it's probably unchanged.

Thought of resting Murphy for the trip (Redpath in) but what if it gets tight and we need that leadership? If Murph doesn't play, that's a young side.

Bob's already missed 5 games this year and was looking better last week. I think he needs continuity now, not a rest.

LostDoggy
03-08-2017, 04:28 PM
Would be very handy to have this match done and dusted in the last quarter with another 6 day break coming up. But I guess we do need percentage also so won't really matter.. Hopefully it doesn't get too warm!

bornadog
03-08-2017, 04:31 PM
Would be very handy to have this match done and dusted in the last quarter with another 6 day break coming up. But I guess we do need percentage also so won't really matter.. Hopefully it doesn't get too warm!

Forecast 23 and sunny

ratsmac
03-08-2017, 07:23 PM
I'd love a percentage booster and a real bruise free game. An easy one for the heart palpitations you know. But I'm not banking on it. Brisbane in Brisbane always worry me

Rocket Science
03-08-2017, 07:26 PM
Bah.

Dickson out with a quad. Murph the travelling emergency.

Clay and Redders in.

bornadog
03-08-2017, 07:31 PM
Bah.

Dickson out with a quad. Murph the travelling emergency.

Clay and Redders in.

will be interesting with Redpath and Cloke. At least we will have a tall target when one is called in for 2nd ruck duties

ratsmac
03-08-2017, 07:38 PM
Dickson quad, bloody hell. The poor bloke can't string 3 games in a row.

Rocket Science
03-08-2017, 07:46 PM
Really hoping Dicko's back for next week's tilt vs GWS - perhaps that's why they're being cautious.

Eastdog
03-08-2017, 07:48 PM
Dickson quad, bloody hell. The poor bloke can't string 3 games in a row.

Another injury :( was very good last Sunday.

The forward line looks not too bad with Clay and Redders coming in. Hope Jake can get a lot of marks and kick some goals on Saturday.

GVGjr
03-08-2017, 07:57 PM
Really hoping Dicko's back for next week's tilt vs GWS - perhaps that's why they're being cautious.

Same here but are quad injuries ever one week? Genuine question

bulldogtragic
03-08-2017, 08:00 PM
I guess the question, 'Can Cloke & Redders play in the same side?' Has been answered.

Can they gel well first game up? Maybe not. Surely this is a two or three game trial.

Rocket Science
03-08-2017, 08:28 PM
Imagine we've considered this and have contingencies but curious how we'll employ Cloke/Redders - and potentially Clay as well -
without hampering our forward pressure ... they've got some mobile, rangy backs.

Remi Moses
03-08-2017, 08:44 PM
Not sure I like Cloke and Redpath in the one team . Not enough forward pressure , but fingers crossed I'm wrong

bornadog
03-08-2017, 09:09 PM
Imagine we've considered this and have contingencies but curious how we'll employ Cloke/Redders - and potentially Clay as well -
without hampering our forward pressure ... they've got some mobile, rangy backs.

I really don't like it when Roughy goes to the bench and Cloke or Redpath to the ruck, leaving a short forward line. Hopefully we will be able to work it to our advantage now that they are both playing.

kruder
03-08-2017, 11:02 PM

Maybe its a corked quad? Did anyone notice him come off early last week?

My feeling is that on a 6 day back up 2 weeks in a row, Dickson( maybe 50/50 this week), Murphy and Stringer will be handy additions against the Giants.

bornadog
03-08-2017, 11:21 PM
Honeychurch must be kicking himself being ill last week, now he has to fight his way back in.

westdog54
03-08-2017, 11:43 PM
I guess the question, 'Can Cloke & Redders play in the same side?' Has been answered.

Can they gel well first game up? Maybe not. Surely this is a two or three game trial.

I stand to be corrected but didn't they play together against Geelong?

mjp
03-08-2017, 11:45 PM

By the time we play the Giants, it will be 2-weeks!

LostDoggy
04-08-2017, 12:09 AM
I stand to be corrected but didn't they play together against Geelong?

Yep and they may as well not have... Both were dropped the following week.

Dickson with another injury is really really annoying.

kruder
04-08-2017, 12:10 AM
Can Clay Smith tag? I'm pretty sure he is a good runner beep wise just don't like him in the forward line with the two big fellas around.

lemmon
04-08-2017, 12:42 AM
Can Clay Smith tag? I'm pretty sure he is a good runner beep wise just don't like him in the forward line with the two big fellas around.

He's been playing a lot of midfield minutes back at Footscray. Wouldn't surprise me if he spends a fair bit of time around the stoppages

merantau
04-08-2017, 07:09 AM
Not sure I like Cloke and Redpath in the one team . Not enough forward pressure , but fingers crossed I'm wrong

I know how to apply forward pressure. Have a a couple of big guys marking inside 50 and kicking goals! That's real forward pressure!

GVGjr
04-08-2017, 07:25 AM
Honeychurch must be kicking himself being ill last week, now he has to fight his way back in.

Bitten by a spider I believe.

Bulldog Revolution
04-08-2017, 07:33 AM

Seriously? Thats not a metaphor for something else is it??

westdog54
04-08-2017, 07:47 AM

That's a list for another day: injuries attributed to animals

bornadog
04-08-2017, 10:23 AM

You think they may be a tad slow :D

bornadog
04-08-2017, 12:34 PM
Bev Weekly press conference

LB: Marcus (Adams) out having a bit of run, so encouraging signs he's getting back to full fitness. Still a little while away from playing.

LB: Mitch has been in and out of hospital, quite unwell and is down on energy. He hasn't been at the club.

LB: Mitch Honeychurch is quite ill; unfortunately he was going really well. Lukas took opportunity, hopefully has another good game

LB: Bont plays both roles extremely well, the important thing for us is he has that versatility. It's a different approach week to week.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGWP0phUwAAgXEP.jpgLB: Can you build on that offensive potency? This game will be different to last week, we gotta find new stimulus emotionally.

LB: Got to continue to find stimulus to support way you're playing. It's another game where history doesn't mean anything.

LB: Take two with Jack & Trav, they'll work well with the 16 other players. They'll be expected to be productive defensively.

LB: Bob) He's not omitted, decided to give him this week off but if he's needed he will play. Went with what his status is, not why.

LB: Bob was very good last week. We really wanted him to play, but with back to back six breaks & residual soreness - hasn't quite come up.

The Pie Man
04-08-2017, 02:50 PM
Bev Weekly press conference

[
LB: Bob) He's not omitted, decided to give him this week off but if he's needed he will play. Went with what his status is, not why.

LB: Bob was very good last week. We really wanted him to play, but with back to back six breaks & residual soreness - hasn't quite come up.

[/LIST]

Read the AFL website coverage of this, apparently Bevo said 'it's a shame we need to provide explanations these days' when asked about Bob.

Not a massive fan of that comment - pretty sure many Dogs fans were seeking clarity on the Bob situation.

Axe Man
04-08-2017, 03:53 PM
'Not omitted': Bob's road less travelled (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-08-04/not-omitted-bobs-road-less-travelled)

A combination of two six-day breaks and body management were the catalyst for Western Bulldogs captain Robert Murphy being listed as a 'travelling emergency' for Saturday's clash with the Brisbane Lions, says coach Luke Beveridge.

Murphy has played the past three games but some lingering pain from a mid-season cleanout on his reconstructed knee, coupled with short turnarounds between last Sunday's win over Essendon and next Friday's clash with Greater Western Sydney, gave the club the chance to rest him.

The 35-year-old, who joined in a light training session on Friday morning, will join the team on the flight to Brisbane later that day, and will be the player on standby if one of several sore teammates don't come up.

"He's definitely not omitted but we've decided that we might as well give him this week off, and go into next Friday feeling fresh," Beveridge said.

"As much as we want him to play this week, he hasn't quite come up as 'cherry ripe' as we'd like.

"He's got a bit of residual soreness from that knee procedure (he underwent) a little bit earlier in the year.

"So as far as taking someone up to Brisbane, there is still a chance he might play, because we've still got a couple of boys who are a little bit sore, but generally they're pretty right (to go).

"If we need him, he'll play.”

Also contributing to Murphy's week off is the club's need to manage the game time of several players returning from suspension and coming off the injury list.

Inclusions for the Gabba clash, Jack Redpath and Clay Smith, both missed last week through bans at AFL and VFL level respectively, while midfielder Josh Dunkley will play his first game in three months in the VFL after shoulder surgery.

Draftees Patrick Lipinski and Fergus Greene will line up for their second state league match since returning from injury layoffs.

"We've got three players coming back at VFL level who are on limited game time," Beveridge said.

"We've had two players in recent times out with suspension, Jack Redpath and Clay Smith - who are now fresh.

"We've got a VFL bye next week, we've got two six-day breaks at AFL level, so with Bob we really wanted to play this week, but we figured there might be a chance he needed to miss one of these two (games) because of a short turnaround."

Redpath's return to the senior side will see him partnered with fellow key forward Travis Cloke for the first time since the round nine loss to Geelong.

"It's take two with (them playing together)," Beveridge said.

"They'll be expected to be as productive defensively as (offensively), but their games won't be measured or assessed on how many times they hit the scoreboard, it will be how much they contribute our total score.

"It will definitely be an improvement on the last outing."

kruder
04-08-2017, 04:49 PM
You think they may be a tad slow :D

The turning circle on those three is frightening, imagine them all trying to turn at the same time:D Im keen to have a permanent tall forward so happy to see how they go but just wasn't factoring Smith into the equation. Bevo is big on flexibility I think its time to experiment with Smith...

bornadog
04-08-2017, 05:24 PM
The turning circle on those three is frightening, imagine them all trying to turn at the same time:D Im keen to have a permanent tall forward so happy to see how they go but just wasn't factoring Smith into the equation. Bevo is big on flexibility I think its time to experiment with Smith...

Smith has not been impressive at all this year, and seems to be even slower than last year.

G-Mo77
04-08-2017, 05:32 PM
Smith has not been impressive at all this year, and seems to be even slower than last year.

One of many of our Premiership team who have struggled this season. Biggs was written off by quite a few and has been quite good after a few stints at VFL. Just seems like a like for like selection, Dickson (FP, HFF) for Smith, same position. If Mitch was good to go it probably would have been him. Clay's form in the VFL was selection worthy up until his suspension so probably earned a nod.

GVGjr
04-08-2017, 08:16 PM

Mentioned at the player sponsors room on match day. I took it as being accurate

bornadog
04-08-2017, 08:28 PM
Mentioned at the player sponsors room on match day. I took it as being accurate
See injury thread for article

mjp
05-08-2017, 12:21 AM
I know how to apply forward pressure. Have a a couple of big guys marking inside 50 and kicking goals! That's real forward pressure!

Agree. But when was the last time any team did this successfully?

Even Hawthorn with Buddy and Roughy send one or the other high for long periods of time...Cloke and Redpath are the same player - just don't see how they both play in one forward line (and we also win the game).

boydogs
05-08-2017, 02:00 AM
Read the AFL website coverage of this, apparently Bevo said 'it's a shame we need to provide explanations these days' when asked about Bob.

Not a massive fan of that comment - pretty sure many Dogs fans were seeking clarity on the Bob situation.

Felt the same but then he spent the next 15 minutes talking about how far almost every player on the injury list is away from playing

Rocco Jones
05-08-2017, 08:58 AM
A factor in playing Red and Cloke together is that so many of our depth players are out. Sets a lower benchmark for spot 22. Fwiw I think Clay is about as mobile as them.

dog town
05-08-2017, 09:05 AM
Agree. But when was the last time any team did this successfully?

Even Hawthorn with Buddy and Roughy send one or the other high for long periods of time...Cloke and Redpath are the same player - just don't see how they both play in one forward line (and we also win the game). Exactly. Why are we even attempting this? We just found form by going with our most mobile set up of the year. You still need some height to prevent intercept marking and bring the ball to ground so you can set up your press but this is too much. We don't need two really big cumbersome guys especially with the way we play. I am assuming it's just a lack of alternatives.

Rocco Jones
05-08-2017, 11:19 AM
Exactly. Why are we even attempting this? We just found form by going with our most mobile set up of the year. You still need some height to prevent intercept marking and bring the ball to ground so you can set up your press but this is too much. We don't need two really big cumbersome guys especially with the way we play. I am assuming it's just a lack of alternatives.

I think it's the lack of alternatives. Dunkley and Jong are our 2nd ruck/contested small options. Stringer can go pseudo tall at times and is a target, as is Dickson.

One factor to consider is just how much time on ground they will spend together up forward.

Roughy struggles to get through massive chunks in the ruck, so RedOke will spend at least 20% TOG offering ruck support you'd think.

On top of that they will probably have about 15% game time on the bench each.

So I think we will only see them up forward together for about half the game.

Rocco Jones
05-08-2017, 11:22 AM
Bob will be back next week. Stringer and Dunkley both chances too, as well as Dickson if the quad isn't bad. Might be a one time special.

The Adelaide Connection
05-08-2017, 02:04 PM
Saw someone post on FB that AFL nation is reporting that JJ is out. Can anyone confirm?

bornadog
05-08-2017, 03:34 PM
Saw someone post on FB that AFL nation is reporting that JJ is out. Can anyone confirm?

Maybe Murp is playing after all.

Hotdog60
05-08-2017, 04:46 PM
No changes on the AFL website

Brisbane Lions v Western Bulldogs at the Gabba, 4.35pm AEST

NO LATE CHANGES

FINAL INTERCHANGES
Brisbane Lions: Mitch Wallis, Clay Smith, Shane Biggs, Caleb Daniel
Western Bulldogs: Hugh McCluggage, Cedric Cox, Ryan Lester, Rhys Mathieson

I like how they got the teams around the wrong way

Rocket Science
05-08-2017, 05:40 PM