PDA

View Full Version : Bankers And Anchors - Round 20, 2017 vs Brisbane Lions

Eastdog
03-06-2017, 09:53 PM
This is the round 20, 2017 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Brisbane Lions is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Optional: New addition to the Bankers and Anchors Banchors 3 players we thought who were in the middle in how they went in the game neither a Banker or Anchor.

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
05-08-2017, 07:34 PM
3 to Bank, 3 to Anch

bulldogtragic
05-08-2017, 08:25 PM
B

Redders/Cloke combo - I liked it. If we have quicker agile types round them, it will be better again.
Top 8 for the first time, in what seems like a long time.
Rockliff. 2 goals and mid 20's disposals. Will look better in our jumper next year.

A

Goal kicking again. Again. Again. Again. Again.
Wood's hammy. Enough injuries.
Letting them back in when a big win was on the cards.

AndrewP6
05-08-2017, 08:28 PM
B
Top 8 for the first time, in what seems like a long time.

Last week! :D

bulldogtragic
05-08-2017, 08:29 PM
Last week! :D

A weeks a long time in football!! :D I think I meant finishing the round in the 8.

Topdog
05-08-2017, 08:41 PM
B

Big Red - Took a heap of important marks and kept getting into great spots
Bont - Superstar
McLean - Great in close and has really stepped up this season.

A

Big Red - Goalkicking
Bont - Goalkicking
The team as a whole for that 3rd quarter

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-08-2017, 09:00 PM
Bankers
Macrae we know he is Mr Consistency when it comes to effort, work rate and the tough work but his disposals were damaging today. It elevates his performance.

Big Reds marking

Mclean's composure, run and creativity.

Anchors
Big Red and Bonts goalkicking. Singlehandedly kept Brisbane in it which gave a young side the belief they had a big chance.

Wood's hammy..could not have pinged at a worse time for us.

Eastdog
05-08-2017, 09:09 PM
Bankers

- Bont - just a star

- Redpath - give us a lot in the forward line. Is a great target up there.

- Macrae - Very good today again. He has had a good year.

Anchors

- Wood injury - so frustrating is an important part of our defence.

- Our goalkicking - still needs fixing. Bont missed a couple which was frustrating.

- The 3rd quarter - dissapointing we let them back in it. Started a bit late in the 2nd quarter.

merantau
05-08-2017, 09:12 PM
Bankers
1. Bontempelli. Did some amazing things when the whips were cracking.
2. Lachie Hunter was terrific for the entire game
3. Travis Cloke and Jack Redpath were very active forwards. Get the goal kicking right and they become potent forwards.
Anchors
1. Easton Wood's injury
2. Goal kicking
3. Lynch. He confused Clay Smith and Jack Redpath! How does he keep his job?

Eastdog
05-08-2017, 09:14 PM
Bankers
1. Bontempelli. Did some amazing things when the whips were cracking.
2. Lachie Hunter was terrific for the entire game
3. Travis Cloke and Jack Redpath were very active forwards. Get the goal kicking right and they become potent forwards.
Anchors
1. Easton Wood's injury
2. Goal kicking
3. Lynch. He confused Clay Smith and Jack Redpath! How does he keep his job?

Lachie's nearly Mark of the year that would have been a huge banker.

Ozza
05-08-2017, 09:40 PM
Bankers:

Bont - Of course his goal kicking is frustrating - but you can take it to the bank (pun intended) that when we absolutely need it - he will do what needs to be done. How was that contest in the middle of the ground - he got spoiled from behind and most players would have gone to ground - but he gathered it, and managed to handball while being tackled in such a way that Macrae didn't break stride before hitting up Redpath for the eventual goal. Brilliant.

Macrae - Has gone to another level since about half time in the Carlton game. Went at 84% again today, took contested marks again, think he had a dozen score involvements. Starting to use his 191cm frame a bit too.

McLean - such a classy player. Just really clean, and good speed leaving the stoppages.

Anchors:

Webb - just couldn't get involved enough. And although he should never have ended up competing one on one deep in D50 - the effort v Bastinac was disasterous.
Smith - thankfully his set shot goal kicking still stands up. Not many other aspects of his game are standing up to the standards he set at the end of last year. A mystery what has happened to him.
Suckling - I don't want to be seen to be Sucker-bashing - and his last quarter was reasonable - but some very poor defensive efforts today. And a terrible effort when he grabbed the ball on the broadcast side wing and wasn't strong enough in the tackle to hold the ball for a fraction and get it to his team mates advantage. Those scenarios are really bad for him.

Banchor - Bailey Williams. He's the future, and I like what he brings. Just has those 2-3 shockers per game at this point. I guess most players do - Biggs used to have 2 shockers a game, now he's super reliable - Williams should get there also.

bornadog
05-08-2017, 10:17 PM
Bankers

1. Hunter and Macrae seemed to be everywhere today

2. The Bont - should have had 5 goals, but he was unstoppable today, Lions had no matchup for him.

3. Cloke and Redpath took 16 marks between them - when was the last time two key forwards did that.

Anchors

1. Goal kicking has been atrocious this year

2. Umpires - 6 free kicks in first half and 3 in last half??

3. Webb - no good enough

macca
05-08-2017, 10:34 PM
Banker
Bonts- his last quarter hand pass to a macrae in the centre square was sublime
Reds marking, and Cloke providing a contest
Biggs- was reliable and had a good game

Anchor:
Goal kicking - can we have a game where we kick more goals than points ? . Redders needs to nail those goals 30-40m out
I get nervous when we have a shot on goal
Letting rich , bastinac and peaty Taylor run free. Why do some players play out of their skin when they play again us? Walker had a good game and took some important marks
Can we have enough slow players in our team ? Suckling , smith and Webb, just got out run today
We let them back in during 3rd quarter, a brisbane side with 12 months more experience would have kept us out of the game. Even with 1.30 left in the last we should have kept possession

boydogs
05-08-2017, 11:38 PM
Banchor - Bailey Williams. He's the future, and I like what he brings. Just has those 2-3 shockers per game at this point. I guess most players do - Biggs used to have 2 shockers a game, now he's super reliable - Williams should get there also.

He's got a touch of the Sam Darley's about him - neat player, great kick, but doesn't have that desperation in his game

boydogs
05-08-2017, 11:43 PM
Bankers
McLean's dash through congestion set us up more than once. Loved his dive through the legs as well. He has gone from a classy finisher to one of our best mids
Macrae showed more forward craft today, hitting forward line targets and taking marks
Hunter was everywhere as usual, today he did really well using his pace to get us out of trouble

Banchor
Bonts was a good target up forward and played well in the middle, just missed some easy shots that made a 9/10 game into a 7/10 game

Anchors
Webb & Smith non factors, though props to Clay for kicking straight when he got his chance
JJ's withdrawal & Wood's injury
Going to sleep for 2 quarters and almost costing us the season

westbulldog
06-08-2017, 12:34 AM
Bankers
Jack Macrae - unspectacular but consistently excellent.
Redpath - like what he brings as a forward in traditional style.
Biggs - reliable and composed defender playing very well at the moment.

Anchors
Wood's injury.
14 or so players were pathetic in the 3rd quarter - do that next week and we will be torched.
Dwayne Russell - the worst commentator to ever hold a microphone and he hates our Club.

Go_Dogs
06-08-2017, 09:20 AM
He's got a touch of the Sam Darley's about him - neat player, great kick, but doesn't have that desperation in his game

Some of his work in the air has plenty of desperation about it.

Go_Dogs
06-08-2017, 09:25 AM
B:
Macrae - the definition of consistency, yet still improving
Bont - it's not long now for his 30+, 5 goal game
Cloke and Red - will be interesting to see how they go next week, but that was a step in the right direction for them playing in the same side

A:
Goal kicking let us down and nearly cost us the game
The depth of our forward entries and how we set up. If we don't lower the eyes and hit a leading player, we sometimes go too shallow with our entry which allows a quick team like Brisbane plenty of opportunity to punish. I may be way off the mark, but if we could get the ball deeper at times I feel we'd set the ground up better and our forward half wouldn't be a trampoline.
Injury to Wood, terrible timing.

comrade
06-08-2017, 09:34 AM
Suckling - I don't want to be seen to be Sucker-bashing - and his last quarter was reasonable - but some very poor defensive efforts today. And a terrible effort when he grabbed the ball on the broadcast side wing and wasn't strong enough in the tackle to hold the ball for a fraction and get it to his team mates advantage. Those scenarios are really bad for him.

He creates these scenarios multiple times every game and it's why I can't rate him. I can just see him being a huge liability in a cut throat final.

What was he attempting on the goal line against Rockliff where he simultaneously lost body position and impeded his own teammate at the same time, leading to an embarrassingly easy goal.

ratsmac
06-08-2017, 10:27 AM
Bankers

1. Winning in general but winning interstate. Both of those have eluded us for much of the season. Winning form is good form.

2. Lachie Hunter. He, like a lot of our players, had a real quiet patch this year but Lachie has turned his season around. He is starting to get the numbers he was getting last year which shows that his work rate and concentration levels have lifted. He works hard to provide an option for his team mates.

3. Marks inside 50. This is an area that we have been shocking at this year. We had 19 yesterday, 16 against Essendon and 19 against the Suns. They are above average numbers. Adelaide have the highest average of marks inside 50 of 14.9 this year. If we are marking the ball inside 50 we are a better chance of winning the game. We just need to learn how to convert them into goals (read Anchors).

Anchors

1. Converting set shots and shots in general. Missed shots on goal almost cost us again. The GWS game was in my mind watching the game yesterday seeing us blow opportunity after opportunity. The aim to football is to score goals and whoever scores the most wins, simple. Why are we so bad at goal scoring ffs.

2. Webb. I'm a huge fan but he was terrible. Those 2 contests with Bastinac just weren't good enough. One had zero awareness of where his opponent was and the other he let Bastinac take front position with ease. He couldn't get into the game either. 6 disposals doesn't cut the mustard for a player who gets 30+ week in week out at Footscray. I had him as my predicted BOG with a break out game, I could not have been more wrong. Probably worst on ground tbh.

3. 2nd half of the 2nd quarter and entire 3rd quarter. Insipid. A top 8 team would of had a match winning lead against us. I'll put it down to travelling and warmer conditions than we are used to just to keep me sane I think.

4. Easton Wood's hammy. Hopefully it's only minor but it looked sore when he done it. He has had problems with his hamstrings his whole career so let's hope he knows the rehab well and gets back sooner rather than later.

Remi Moses
06-08-2017, 12:37 PM
B - The usual suspects Bont, Macrae ,Continually step up . Great leaders
- Redpath showed some great signs
- Hard to get a win in this comp
A- Half through the second to 3/4 time was abysmal .
- The injuries are just seriously frustrating beyond comprehension
- Really disappointed in Lucas Webb's game , thought he made positive strides last week, but some of those efforts weren't good enough

Sedat
06-08-2017, 11:25 PM
He creates these scenarios multiple times every game and it's why I can't rate him. I can just see him being a huge liability in a cut throat final.
He's also just as liable to kick a monster 60m clutch goal in the 4th qtr of knife edge interstate PF like he did in 2015 against Freo.

He's the ultimate Banchor.

always right
07-08-2017, 10:52 AM
Don't think Suckling was quite as bad as many believe. Typical game where he mixes good with a couple of horror moments. He didn't have the worst moment of the game though. That's reserved for Cordy's turnover in the last when he kicked to Caleb in a dangerous part of the ground where he was amongst three Brisbane players.....only to end up with Brisbane scoring. Massive brain fade for Cordy who otherwise was very good again.

bulldogtragic
07-08-2017, 11:03 AM
He's also just as liable to kick a monster 60m clutch goal in the 4th qtr of knife edge interstate PF like he did in 2015 against Freo.

He's the ultimate Banchor.

When he retires, I hope they add this award to the Charlie Sutton Medal Night: The Matthew Suckling Banchor Award