PDA

View Full Version : Bankers And Anchors - Round 23, 2017 vs Hawthorn

Eastdog
03-06-2017, 10:01 PM
This is the round 23, 2017 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Hawthorn is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Optional: New addition to the Bankers and Anchors Banchors 3 players we thought who were in the middle in how they went in the game neither a Banker or Anchor.

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
25-08-2017, 10:55 PM
Bump.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2017, 11:30 PM
B

Lipinski - There's something exciting to work with. Some goal kicking practice too.
Bailey Dale - Our new Bob perhaps.
Boyd & Bob - Club Legends.
Pick 8 most likely.

A

Same old rubbish.
Not winning tonight and possibly defending the premiership. It's dead.
No defensive set up. Also letting Gunston run amok. What's up Bevo?

always right
25-08-2017, 11:39 PM
Bankers
Boyd going out as clearly our best player tonight.
Murph hitting targets like he has all his career.
Bailey Dale....not his best night but his finishing is sublime.

Banchors
Lapinski looked at home out there but needs to tidy up the finishing.
Bailey Williams does so many good things but never looks like kicking the goal.

Anchors
Bont, Bont, Bont...sigh
Roughy and Campbell. How many times did they give away dumb free kicks in the ruck?
Our coaches. Not their greatest night the way we set up, particularly our centre bounce setup. Hawks constantly had defenders pushing up to the contest without an opponent.

kruder
26-08-2017, 12:17 AM
Banker

There has been a lot said about Murph but Boyd is a player I have grown to love. It took nearly 14 years but his performance tonight just goes to show what an impact he made in 15 and 16. Part of the reason our defence has been so poor this season is that we haven't been able mark in the back half, Boyd took 12 marks tonight hit targets and defended well one on one. One of the best things about the premiership was the fact he and Morris got to taste the ultimate. Thanks Matty.

Anchor
The most frustrating season I can remember. I think the Essendon game was the only game I enjoyed for the year.
Jordan Roughead enough said.
How many goals have we given up by going backwards in the last month?
Trading Hamling

Remi Moses
26-08-2017, 12:57 AM
Bankers - the two old blokes Murph and Keith
- Lipinski looked a likely type
- thank christ the seasons over
Anchors - The lack of intensity is just so obvious
- The forward half debacle
- The season as a whole . Just not enough of an even performance . Very disappointing

Remi Moses
26-08-2017, 12:59 AM
In fairness Hamling asked to be traded back to WA . Let's not rewrite history, he wanted home for compassionate reasons .

bornadog
26-08-2017, 01:02 AM
Trading Hamling

Hamling wanted to go home, he said so (privately) mid year. We didn't want to lose him, but he had made a decision based on family.

Edit - sorry Remi, you posted while I was typing,

Eastdog
26-08-2017, 01:14 AM
Bankers:

- Matthew Boyd - Great last game. We will miss him

- Robert Murphy - good game tonight as well another will miss

- Toby McLean - most improved player this year

Banchor:

- Agree with AR on Lipinkski being a banchor tonight.

Anchors:

- Forward efficiency - Again frustrating tonight. We just couldn't hit the lead.

- Our defence at times has let us down this year as last year this was a strong area for us and a huge part of our flag success in 2016.

- Intensity not there enough this season.

Happy Days
26-08-2017, 01:27 AM
In fairness Hamling asked to be traded back to WA . Let's not rewrite history, he wanted home for compassionate reasons .

Hamling was a big loss. He's been tremendous this year for Freo, would be near a top-5 finish in their B&F if not higher.

Remi Moses
26-08-2017, 01:35 AM
Hamling was a big loss. He's been tremendous this year for Freo, would be near a top-5 finish in their B&F if not higher.

Definitely a loss for us , but we reluctantly traded him.

boydogs
26-08-2017, 01:51 AM
Bankers

The retiring players being desperate for a win. Their intensity was obvious and stood out like the proverbial when compared to the rest of our players this week and in prior weeks
Suckling did well on several occasions to get us out of a tight spot, only needs an inch of room to get a kick in
Macrae capped off a great year, the player who showed the most endeavour all season

Banchor

Lipinski looking at home but missing shots at goal

Anchor

Bont looks like he needs new hips or something
Looking like witches hats when the opposition rebounds out of our forward 50
Roughead largely uncompetitive and a non factor, even Dahlhaus was knocking him over

kruder
26-08-2017, 10:33 AM
Definitely a loss for us , but we reluctantly traded him.

Money talks we undervalued him no doubt

comrade
26-08-2017, 11:11 AM
Bankers:

Boyd & Boydy both kicking goals in their last game.
McLean proving he's one of the most talented players on our entire list.
Set shot kicking was better.

Anchors:

Lack of forward pressure inside our 50. Hawthorn defenders did as they pleased.
Jordan Roughead. You are 200cm and 100kg, yet get pushed around like you're an undersized first year rookie.
Whoever was in charge of our stoppage set ups needs a rocket. Some of the easy exits for Hawthorn were comical last night.

Adios season 2017. Don't let the door hit you on the **** on the way out.

Ozza
26-08-2017, 11:24 AM
Just on Bont...I saw him at a corporate/family day thing last Sunday and had a good chat to him. He was very very sore. When he knelt down for a photo with my son, I thought I was going to have to help him get up. The way he has I looked the last couple of weeks - body-wise- i think his body will appreciate the break after shouldering a very heavy load this season.

comrade
26-08-2017, 11:27 AM
Just on Bont...I saw him at a corporate/family day thing last Sunday and had a good chat to him. He was very very sore. When he knelt down for a photo with my son, I thought I was going to have to help him get up. The way he has I looked the last couple of weeks - body-wise- i think his body will appreciate the break after shouldering a very heavy load this season.

Yeah, he's clearly not anything close to his best physically so it's hard to judge him too harshly. We need to manage him very, very carefully to ensure this generational talent gets the most out of himself. Given our recent track record, I have my concerns.

Rocket Science
26-08-2017, 12:00 PM
Perhaps we can start with that by not throwing him into the freaking ruck.

merantau
26-08-2017, 12:14 PM
Bankers
Matty Boyd and Bob. Players who gave their all right to the end. Thanks for the memories.
2. McLean and Macrae - worked hard all night.
3. Lachie Hunter - versatile player. Bit of a whipping boy for some but I'm a fan.
Bachor - Lipinski dropped the chance of a dream career start and then missed another 2 but will be a player.

Anchors
1. Game plan ????
2. Our rucks gave away stupid frees, dropped marks and were ineffective
3. Lewis Young has gone from chocolates to boiled lollies quick time but he will be a player next year.

bulldogtragic
26-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Perhaps we can start with that by not throwing him into the freaking ruck.

Whoever thought to do that, needs a personal review by Peter Gordon directly. It's madness.

bornadog
26-08-2017, 02:04 PM
Bankers

* Matty Boyd, best on ground for us, looked like the AA HBF of previous years
* Dale's goal on the run from 50 and his snap from the pocket on his wrong foot
* Picken's forward play - 3 goals , should have been at least 4 if not 5.

Anchors

* MC for picking Young the last two weeks - 18 year old kid up against the monsters. Roberts languishing in the reserves, could have played at least minum better than Young.

* Mclean and Dahl's wayward kicking. eg. Storming home in the last 6 minutes, game up for grabs with 10 points in it, Mclean looks up Bont on his own and kicks a wayward kick allowing Hawks to spoil the kick. Also earlier on, Mclean running into an open goal, less than 10 metres out and sprays the kick. He did kick one beautiful goal on the run in the last.

* JJ gifting Roughead a goal from the kick out in the 1st.

Note Umpire: the ball travelled less than 10 metres so it was play on, but no doubt Roughead woud have kicked it anyway.