PDA

View Full Version : Three things I have learned-round 12 edition v the Swans

Twodogs
08-06-2017, 10:46 AM
Okelely dokeley. Now that is over tell us three things you've learned.

westbulldog
08-06-2017, 11:09 PM
1. We had 16 ruck hit outs to 65.......English is not ready, although a good prospect.
2. Disappointing that nobody backed up JJ getting pushed around.
3. The axe needs to be wielded.

bulldogtragic
08-06-2017, 11:17 PM
1. New worst loss in the Bevo Era. I was/am shocked a little by how bad that was. That was a genuine 80-100 point loss if they kicked straight.
2. Matt Boyd deserves 300 games for his contribution to the club. He doesn't deserve to be played again this year though.
3. If this continues, because of the year, at best we will struggle to make top 6. At worst...

The Bulldogs Bite
08-06-2017, 11:22 PM
1. Something smells; we're more than just an out of form team.

2. English shouldn't have played but I already knew that.

3. JJ was spooked; doesn't like physical attention.

KT31
08-06-2017, 11:26 PM
1. We had 16 ruck hit outs to 65.......English is not ready, although a good prospect.
2. Disappointing that nobody backed up JJ getting pushed around.
3. The axe needs to be wielded.

I'm more disappointed he himself seemed to accept it without a whimper, against North last year Bont had a lot more dished up to him and he finished the game up BOG.
Certainly not a performance or indicative of a $700K player.

kruder
08-06-2017, 11:29 PM
1. Something smells; we're more than just an out of form team.

2. English shouldn't have played but I already knew that.

3. JJ was spooked; doesn't like physical attention.

Talk about smelly, just something I've noticed on Social Media could be wrong but I have not seen JJ and Stringer together for awhile. I

SonofScray
08-06-2017, 11:33 PM
1. We aren't as robust physically as I thought. Turned our toes up tonight for the first time in a long time. A real shame, as it was something you just couldn't accuse this group of in recent history, but that mud sticks.

2. Bont officially has the yips and may have shagged the official's wives judging by how harshly his games are adjudicated. Footy is too easy for him, so they've agreed to remove the rules that state he can have prior opportunity, and is not allowed to be held without possession.

3. The next month of footy determines if we make finals or not.

kruder
08-06-2017, 11:39 PM
1 The Bont is officially in his first form slump of his bulldog career
2 We lack leadership when the chips are down.
3 Only a few players could be considered to have improved this year

always right
09-06-2017, 12:35 AM
Bevo has flaws.
Exhibit A: The decision to play English in those conditions against that team. Mind boggling.
Exhibit B: The decision to bring Boyd straight back into the seniors when his form prior to being injured was so poor.
Exhibit C: Third quarter and we start to fight back. Reid outmarks Wood twice while Roberts stands Sinclair. Fightback snuffed out. Matchups needed to be the reverse....Sinclair simply isn't an aerial threat.
Exhibit D: When was the last time we won centre clearances? Opposition mids waltz out of the middle against our midfield set up.

Bulldog4life
09-06-2017, 10:19 AM
1. We are an average team this year who are battling with a heap of teams just to make the 8.

2. We should not have changed our game plan from last year. We are the Men of Mayhem no more.

3. The amount of times Sydney beat us out of the centre square after a ball up was obscene

bulldogsthru&thru
09-06-2017, 10:47 AM
1. We are in a premiership hangover. The players just don't have the same hunger or drive. The two things that built our flag last season. This has led to us being second to the ball all season.The absolute smashing in the inside 50s was damning last night.

2. Bev just cannot ignore the ruck. Absolutely smashed in the hitouts and it was telling.

3. The AFEL is losing more and more credibility each week. I'm not just talking about the ridiculous deliberate calls and the sudden re-appearance of the harsh treatment of the rule. Its about how the game was generally umpired last night. Directly after the sooking of the swans after round 2 there was something a bit fishy with the officiating last night. It had absolutely nothing to do with the result but after Adelaide's sook last year that resulted in nice treatment the following week, its becoming a bit of a joke. Week after week im losing a little more faith in the AFEL in its attempts to chase the almighty dollar

3.1 Moz is the absolute heart and soul of this footy club. We are really going to miss him when he retires. He fights for every contest, every loose ball, every 1%er and sets us up down back. Huge shoes to fill.

3.2 As others have said, something smells this season. Something just isn't right. Last night almost felt like the dam wall bursting from all the cracks throughout the season. We are lucky to be 6-5 and if the performances of the first 11 games of football continue we will miss the 8. Our response to the pysical tactics against JJ were pathetic. As was JJ's himself. Just copping it with no reaction. There was no fight at all in the group. Something's up. Is it something more than a flag hangover? Did the falg just get to their heads? I'm not sure. But even Bont looks like he doesn't give a dam sometimes.

3.2.1 JJ take what we have offered you. You showed last night you're not worth the big bucks. Tell your manager to pull his head in

bornadog
09-06-2017, 10:48 AM
1. We need a bigger Key Defensive player to help out. Adams is too short for the monster key players, and Roberts hasn't improved at all. We can't rely on poor old Wood having to leap up and try and cover the likes of Reid. Morris is way past being a KPP, infact he never was one at 191cm, however, he is a general in the backline and was missed.

2. I learnt that JJ is a whimp

3. We didn't lose because of umpires, but they listen to whinging clubs like the Swans and ignore the frees we should have got. Just *!*!*!*!ing umpire the game and don't make it up as you go along.

Mantis
09-06-2017, 10:50 AM
2. Bev just cannot ignore the ruck. Absolutely smashed in the hitouts and it was telling.

What's the solution?

bornadog
09-06-2017, 10:52 AM
What's the solution?

The only other thing is perhaps Campbell instead of English should have played. No doubt a good learning encounter for English, but gee that was a crucial game and should not have played Roughead also smashed last night.

I don't think Campbell is the answer, but maybe a better option.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-06-2017, 11:00 AM
What's the solution?

I didn't see the game to see why the hitouts were so bad. I only saw the last qtr where we weren't even bothering to go up for the contest at centre bounces. We were a little hamstrung with the injury to Adams, but moving Wood forward and Roughy into defence didn't help at all. Midfielders in the ruck should not happen anymore. It doesn't work.

English is the long-term solution but he is nowhere near ready. What happened to Roughy? Just another troop out of form? T Boyd is more important to the structure of this team than i realised.

Mantis
09-06-2017, 11:13 AM
I didn't see the game to see why the hitouts were so bad. I only saw the last qtr where we weren't even bothering to go up for the contest at centre bounces. We were a little hamstrung with the injury to Adams, but moving Wood forward and Roughy into defence didn't help at all. Midfielders in the ruck should not happen anymore. It doesn't work.

English is the long-term solution but he is nowhere near ready. What happened to Roughy? Just another troop out of form? T Boyd is more important to the structure of this team than i realised.

Roughy was horrible.. and played the last qtr & 1/2 in defence as we were getting smashed down there with no Adams, Roberts being poorly matched up (and he isn't much good anyway) and our smalls unable to defend against taller opponents.

English is miles off.

Campbell isn't up to it either.

The cupboard is bare in the ruck, but of more concern is what happened when the ball hit the ground.. Sydney (like other teams) just walked the ball out of clearance situations.

bornadog
09-06-2017, 11:15 AM
The cupboard is bare in the ruck, but of more concern is what happened when the ball hit the ground.. Sydney (like other teams) just walked the ball out of clearance situations.

Really believe Honeychurch deserved a game and should have played instead of English. He has been in great form at VFL level. Cloke could have done the second ruck work.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-06-2017, 11:17 AM
Really believe Honeychurch deserved a game and should have played instead of English. He has been in great form at VFL level. Cloke could have done the second ruck work.

I was surprised the MC went with English over HC. Particularly with the conditions. Perhaps with Boyd being injured it forced our hand a little.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-06-2017, 11:18 AM
Roughy was horrible.. and played the last qtr & 1/2 in defence as we were getting smashed down there with no Adams, Roberts being poorly matched up (and he isn't much good anyway) and our smalls unable to defend against taller opponents.

English is miles off.

Campbell isn't up to it either.

I listened to the first 5 minutes on the radio and honestly wondered if we had 18 players out there.

Ozza
09-06-2017, 11:21 AM
1. I need to accept that Matthew Boyd is probably gone now as an AFL footballer.

2. The people that are pro-Cloke need to accept that he is going just as bad (if not worse) than he was last year at Collingwood - and shouldn't be played anymore.

3. JJ is incredibly important to the side, we just couldn't function well enough without him getting involved. His first time getting a really hard tag - I'll back him to work through it if it is coming for him on a regular basis.

bornadog
09-06-2017, 11:46 AM
3. JJ is incredibly important to the side, we just couldn't function well enough without him getting involved. His first time getting a really hard tag - I'll back him to work through it if it is coming for him on a regular basis.

It is all well and good to get a hard tag and be beaten, but the Sydney players were constantly bumping into him, ruffling his hair at the boundary line then another running into him. How about getting angry and bit and not just copping it up the clacker.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-06-2017, 12:04 PM
We've spent 41.3% of game time in front this season. 15th in the comp. Only Carlton, Fremantle and Brisbane are worse. That's pretty telling

Ozza
09-06-2017, 12:17 PM
It is all well and good to get a hard tag and be beaten, but the Sydney players were constantly bumping into him, ruffling his hair at the boundary line then another running into him. How about getting angry and bit and not just copping it up the clacker.

Its a fine line. We as supporters like to see players belt back in to the opposition etc - but the other way of looking at it is that, is that if he turns it into a scuffle - everyone then turns to "Oh, he's off his game, he just wants to shove and wrestle now - they've gotten under his skin". I'd prefer to see his team mates blocking for him and helping him out. As I've said - getting a hard tag and treatment like that is new for JJ, let's see how he responds. I remember Bonti getting his first tag against Scott Thompson and not going well with it - but then responding the next time around and being best on ground.

Doc26
09-06-2017, 01:02 PM
Bevo has flaws.
Exhibit A: The decision to play English in those conditions against that team. Mind boggling.
Exhibit B: The decision to bring Boyd straight back into the seniors when his form prior to being injured was so poor.
Exhibit C: Third quarter and we start to fight back. Reid outmarks Wood twice while Roberts stands Sinclair. Fightback snuffed out. Matchups needed to be the reverse....Sinclair simply isn't an aerial threat.
Exhibit D: When was the last time we won centre clearances? Opposition mids waltz out of the middle against our midfield set up.

With the departure of Brett Montgomery late last season, does Beveridge have enough smarts around him?

Rocket Science
09-06-2017, 02:04 PM
Yes Boydy's been exposed this year - haven't a few - but in his/Bevo's defence the coach probably felt he had little choice than to select him with so much backline experience out in Murph/Morris.

The paradox is, Boyd's best utilised as a keep-it-simple cog with a full defensive complement around him but at this stage if Murph & Morris are available he may be surplus to requirements.

Danny the snakeman
09-06-2017, 02:10 PM
I listened to the first 5 minutes on the radio and honestly wondered if we had 18 players out there.

I had to check my tv wasn't on slow motion.

Flamethrower
09-06-2017, 05:11 PM
No Tom Boyd, no Bulldogs. Amazing how poor we are without Tom mixing it up at the stoppages. Reading the Murdoch trash media today, some media types need to pull their head in.

Bulldog4life
09-06-2017, 06:23 PM
JJ is a backman. Niggle back son. Backmen have been doing it for years. You have to get in first.

bornadog
09-06-2017, 06:30 PM
With the departure of Brett Montgomery late last season, does Beveridge have enough smarts around him?

I think we need to change up for next year and bring in some fresh ideas. These guys have been at the club from the Macca days, so at least 5 years.

Bulldog4life
09-06-2017, 06:34 PM
I think we need to change up for next year and bring in some fresh ideas. These guys have been at the club from the Macca days, so at least 5 years.

I agree. Problem is Bevo is very loyal to his assistants. Can't see him getting rid of any. Chris Grant would have to be the one. Who would you move on BAD?

GVGjr
09-06-2017, 08:35 PM
What's the solution?

Last year we needed to ether trade for or recruit a more senior football ready player.

GVGjr
09-06-2017, 08:41 PM
1. We need a bigger Key Defensive player to help out. Adams is too short for the monster key players, and Roberts hasn't improved at all. We can't rely on poor old Wood having to leap up and try and cover the likes of Reid. Morris is way past being a KPP, infact he never was one at 191cm, however, he is a general in the backline and was missed.

I can't believe you are again diminishing the efforts of Morris playing bigger players and are now saying that is your view of his entire career.

I mentioned last year during the trade period that with the loss of Hamling and with Adams indicating he wanted to go home and the fact that we had chased Hurley that we needed to recruit at least one key defender so I agree we are down on options.

SonofScray
09-06-2017, 08:58 PM
I can't believe you are again diminishing the efforts of Morris playing bigger players and are now saying that is your view of his entire career.

I mentioned last year during the trade period that with the loss of Hamling and with Adams indicating he wanted to go home and the fact that we had chased Hurley that we needed to recruit at least one key defender so I agree we are down on options.

Collins development is vital. If he flops, we are really up shit creek.

GVGjr
09-06-2017, 09:07 PM
Collins development is vital. If he flops, we are really up shit creek.

And it's a couple of years away from making that call. He's younger than English

We need to find a key defender this off season. By the way it's speculated that Adams has a season ending injury.

SonofScray
09-06-2017, 09:14 PM
And it's a couple of years away from making that call. He's younger than English

We need to find a key defender this off season. By the way it's speculated that Adams has a season ending injury.
I saw a comment on Twitter re: injury that didn't look promising at all. Season over by the looks of it and a real risk of career long issues.

Dry Rot
09-06-2017, 09:53 PM
1. I hate the Swans song more than ever

2. We need to pay Stringer a lot more now, midway through the season

3. This is not the same team I saw at Spotless in the PF. Something is really wrong with our clearances and coal face work

bornadog
09-06-2017, 10:03 PM
Last year we needed to ether trade for or recruit a more senior football ready player.

Too late. What do we do now?

Morris is one of our greatest defenders of all time, yet coach after coach kill the bloke and force him to play on players way bigger than he is. eg Rocket played him on Buddy in the first half of the 2008 qualifying and he got murdered.

I feel sorry for Morris, playing on guys bigger than him.

AndrewP6
10-06-2017, 12:29 AM

Commentators mentioned possibility of the Lisfranc injury, bad news if correct.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-06-2017, 02:18 PM
Commentators mentioned possibility of the Lisfranc injury, bad news if correct.

Is that the injury that Daniel Cross had and deliberately jumped off a table to snap the tendon? Did Libba have this with his foot problem last year?
They say the Lisfranc injury can end footy careers.
Doc your other post about Bevo missing Monty and his game nous struck a note. Monty was very intense in his job and in instructing players.

I learnt we have at least temporarily lost our mojo and that that beautiful post premiership feeling can be like a honeymoon: you think you have entered earthly heaven but you and humanity ensure it isn't.

AndrewP6
10-06-2017, 03:19 PM
Is that the injury that Daniel Cross had and deliberately jumped off a table to snap the tendon? Did Libba have this with his foot problem last year?
Doc your other post about Bevo missing Monty and his game nous struck a note. Monty was very intense in his job and in instructing players.

I learnt we have at least temporarily lost our mojo and that that beautiful post premiership feeling can be like a honeymoon: you think you have entered earthly heaven but you and humanity ensure it isn't.

Cross injury was plantar fasciitis I think.

Ozza
13-06-2017, 06:48 PM

Isn't the plantar fasciitis story of jumping of a table about Robert Harvey?

BornInDroopSt'54
14-06-2017, 03:25 PM
Isn't the plantar fasciitis story of jumping of a table about Robert Harvey?

Just checked Ozza and you're right, it was Rob Harvey.

Twodogs
16-06-2017, 11:41 AM
Someone get the man a table.