PDA

View Full Version : Matty Boyd - Can He Reach Some Games Records?

bulldogtragic
15-06-2017, 09:17 PM
Matty hasn't been selected this week. After this round there are 10 more H&A games for him to be selected, plus how ever many finals. Will he break some of the records near him in games? He's on 290 games currently.

- His 290 games already equals the most games played by a rookie. One more game to 291 games and he sits above Dean Cox who played 290.
- 300 games at our club is an amazing club, one he deserves to be in. That requires 10 more games this year.

I don't think he plays on next year, fwiw. Hence why the question is about this year.

1eyedog
15-06-2017, 09:41 PM
Champ of the club but he wont get 300 this year.

1eyedog
15-06-2017, 09:45 PM
How can you nurse a guy terribly out of form across 10 games when the future of the club are tearing it up in the VFL?

bulldogtragic
15-06-2017, 09:49 PM
How can you nurse a guy terribly out of form across 10 games when the future of the club are tearing it up in the VFL?

I tend to agree, although I wonder if he's got any credits in the bank with the MC if he can play some passable footy at VFL. Especially using the hard, finals experienced player argument. At least another one game to take the record, stand alone, of most games by a rookie.

boydogs
15-06-2017, 10:39 PM
Might get another go later in the year but 300 would be in doubt now

bulldogtragic
15-06-2017, 10:59 PM
Might get another go later in the year but 300 would be in doubt now

Do you think he'd do a Dougie Hawkins and go another season elsewhere (assuming someone took him on) just to reach a milestone?

KT31
15-06-2017, 11:13 PM
Do you think he'd do a Dougie Hawkins and go another season elsewhere (assuming someone took him on) just to reach a milestone?

On his form and in today's climate doubt he would be wanted by another club.

bornadog
15-06-2017, 11:16 PM

and he will be 36 next year. I think he has hit the wall.

Club comes first, so he should not be gifted games.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2017, 11:16 PM

Minson was allegedly offered a rookie contract by Collingwood. So who knows? I don't know if Matty is focused on records like this, pretty much the biggest in the game, but if a team needed a mature leader, a guy who sets standards and who knows Rocket Eade really well, maybe GCS offer him a rookie contract for a year for a variety of reasons.

aker39
15-06-2017, 11:34 PM
and he will be 36 next year. I think he has hit the wall.

Club comes first, so he should not be gifted games.

He should be given at least 1 more game.

bornadog
15-06-2017, 11:40 PM

If his form warrants it he should have 10 more games.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2017, 11:54 PM

There's some room for practical sentimentality. We've lost every single game after playing in Cairns. I'd like to almost swap a group between games. Maybe he plays in Cairns in conditions he knows, if the forms still behind, then Williams, Webb, Lynch etc can come in on the flat track of Etihad, fresh and ready to go.

boydogs
16-06-2017, 01:25 AM

I don't think so. You see it more and more these days, Petrie & Mitchell last year who were with their previous clubs for many years did it but Boyd is just that bit older

1eyedog
16-06-2017, 07:55 AM
I tend to agree, although I wonder if he's got any credits in the bank with the MC if he can play some passable footy at VFL. Especially using the hard, finals experienced player argument. At least another one game to take the record, stand alone, of most games by a rookie.

I'd like nothing more to see him play 300 but I can't see him going back to the VFL and playing well enough to get in before the others in there now. I'm ok for him to break the rookie record and the best time for him to do that is either while Murph is out simply because there is a spot or at the end of the season if it doesn't matter if we win or lose heading into the finals. He deserves 291 but I'm not up for playing him to 300 on current form.

He's been written off before and is a determined bugger. Wouldn't be surprised if was able to give it one last push. He needs to do it though, not the MC.

merantau
16-06-2017, 12:09 PM
I don't think he's going to make 300 games which is a great shame as he has all the hallmarks of a 300 gamer plus some. And the plus some? Absolute hard core focus, determination, willingness to work and learn, dedication to his team mates, loyalty, unswerving courage and the list goes on. I would be rapt to see the cards fall his way and for him to go out in glory with another flag. Wouldn't that be something!

westdog54
16-06-2017, 12:57 PM
I don't think he's going to make 300 games which is a great shame as he has all the hallmarks of a 300 gamer plus some. And the plus some? Absolute hard core focus, determination, willingness to work and learn, dedication to his team mates, loyalty, unswerving courage and the list goes on. I would be rapt to see the cards fall his way and for him to go out in glory with another flag. Wouldn't that be something!

Sadly, I don't think he'll make 300 either. Which is a crying shame, because I don't think any bulldog has matched him for professionalism in my lifetime.

Surely he will make it back for one match for the Rookie Record.

soupman
16-06-2017, 05:21 PM
You would think he'll surpass the 290, although sharing a record with Dean Cox isn't exactly a bad thing.

Considering last year we rested him regularly even with excellent form I would be surprised if he plays 300 though unless he features in 3/4 finals.

Smads57
16-06-2017, 06:03 PM
I'm wondering how more content he would be if he can't get to 300, having played in last year's premiership with the Doggies.

I tend to think also he will struggle to get to 300 on current form, but he should take pride in knowing that we love what he has done for our club over the years and that he represents true Bulldog grit regardless of the number of games he gets too.

Remi Moses
16-06-2017, 10:11 PM
I'm sure playing in a flag is Boyd's crowning achievement .
If he gets there, great .
Just reckon if a younger player stands up in his spot he's going to struggle to get back in

Twodogs
17-06-2017, 01:12 AM
It isn't that important to me. You have to finish on a certain number of games that becomes your career tally of AFL matches (mine is zero) whether it's 290 or 301 doesn't really make that much difference for mine.

The Underdog
17-06-2017, 09:48 AM
I'm pretty sure if you'd asked Matt Boyd at the start of 2002 whether he'd be content with an AFL career of 290 games, 3 x B & F, 3 x All Australian, club captaincy for 3 years and a premiership player, he would have taken that in a heartbeat. Not reaching a random multiple of ten won't reduce what he's been over his career.

Twodogs
17-06-2017, 02:44 PM
I'm pretty sure if you'd asked Matt Boyd at the start of 2002 whether he'd be content with an AFL career of 290 games, 3 x B & F, 3 x All Australian, club captaincy for 3 years and a premiership player, he would have taken that in a heartbeat. Not reaching a random multiple of ten won't reduce what he's been over his career.

Yep. That's what I meant too. Keithy can be proud of what he has acheived and him reaching a numerical statistic will make no difference at all to his contribution he makes and the legacy he leaves to our footy club.

bornadog
27-06-2017, 10:31 AM
Dumped Boyd has no regrets over playing on
(http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-27/dumped-boyd-has-no-regrets-over-playing-on)

WESTERN Bulldogs veteran Matthew Boyd says he has no regrets about playing on this season despite being dropped to the VFL.

The 34-year-old tossed up whether to play on in 2017, and has since battled injuries and form after being an All Australian last season.

The defensive playmaker has remained with Footscray in the VFL since being dropped for the round 13 clash with Melbourne, but Boyd says he hasn't given up on returning to the senior side.

He racked up 31 disposals and nine tackles to be one of Footscray's best on the weekend, so is in the mix for a senior return..

"There's no regrets whatsoever from my perspective for playing on," Boyd told RSN radio on Tuesday.

"Initially it was a bit of a challenge (playing in the VFL), just being able to process that news and do it quickly enough to get you back on the park.

"It had been 13 or 14 years since I played VFL footy, so it's been a long time.
"My eyes were open to the fact that I could play VFL footy, I could have some injury concerns, and miss periods of the season as an ageing athlete.

"I couldn't not go on after last year, (because you) don't give up while you've got something to give, and I've definitely got something to give."

Now on 290 games, Boyd insists his incentive to saddle up for a 15th AFL season wasn't to reach the magical 300-match mark.

Boyd will need to play every remaining game of the home and away season, plus a final to reach the milestone.

If history is anything to go by, Luke Beveridge will only pick him on merit, after the premiership coach left retired Dog Will Minson stranded on 191 games at the end of last season.

"I had a chat to 'Bevo', and I said, 'Don't play me just to get to 300 games, because I don't want to be a burden on the footy club', Boyd said.

"Things would have to go extraordinarily well from here on in for me to get to 300, but it's not a focus."

bornadog
27-06-2017, 10:34 AM
"I had a chat to 'Bevo', and I said, 'Don't play me just to get to 300 games, because I don't want to be a burden on the footy club', Boyd said.

This is why I like Matty Boyd, so selfless, such a clubman.

Remi Moses
27-06-2017, 10:34 AM
What a classy person he is . True pro

always right
27-06-2017, 11:10 AM
Shame he's fallen away this quickly but he will be remembered as a great clubman and leader in the tough times.....and a premiership player in an AA season. A real pro.

KT31
27-06-2017, 02:24 PM
This is why I like Matty Boyd, so selfless, such a clubman.

Never seizes to amaze me, Matty (aka in our house 'The Pelicans Own') is a genuine selfless star and It's been our privelidge to have him at our club.

bulldogtragic
27-06-2017, 02:31 PM
One. I hope he at least gets one more game to get the rookie record and a send off from us all.
Two. I'd have no problem with him chasing a rookie spot somewhere else if they're looking for a depth player and strong leader.
Three. I hope he recaptures his form and fights like hell every week to keep it and gets to 300.

ratsmac
27-06-2017, 04:23 PM
One. I hope he at least gets one more game to get the rookie record and a send off from us all.
Two. I'd have no problem with him chasing a rookie spot somewhere else if they're looking for a depth player and strong leader.
Three. I hope he recaptures his form and fights like hell every week to keep it and gets to 300.

Yeah if Matty gets to 300 from here he'd be playing pretty good footy and we would be in the finals so your point 3 would be a really good outcome.

ledge
27-06-2017, 04:44 PM
Going by his VFL game on the weekend he should be back in this week but not as a backman , he starred on the ball !
Maybe we need to let him loose one more time with the way our mids are struggling eg Libba and Jong out injured.

S Coast Simon
27-06-2017, 05:12 PM
Put him back in. You can't tell me there's no room for sentiment in footy these days. Look at the hawks they are broken from there favourite sons being moved on. There is only a couple of blokes that deserve a little latitude and this tough nut is definitely one of them. We need more blokes that put their body on the line each and every week. I will be dirty if he doesn't make 300. Partly because it would mean we are playing great footy to get him there. They are human after all and I think a lot of people forget this.

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-06-2017, 05:34 PM
Put him back in. You can't tell me there's no room for sentiment in footy these days. Look at the hawks they are broken from there favourite sons being moved on. There is only a couple of blokes that deserve a little latitude and this tough nut is definitely one of them. We need more blokes that put their body on the line each and every week. I will be dirty if he doesn't make 300. Partly because it would mean we are playing great footy to get him there. They are human after all and I think a lot of people forget this.
Your sentiments are exactly how I feel. I find it hard to reconcile with the fact that someone like Suckling retains his spot at the expense of Matthew Boyd who has been such a magnificent servant of our Club. He must be doing it pretty tough at the moment. I also believe that if you are willing to retain our three veterans in Murph, Morris and Boyd that they are worthy of being played , if fit and available. The Club will be faced to make the hard call at the end of the season.

aker39
27-06-2017, 06:09 PM
I heard his interview this morning. He is a true champion of the club.

bornadog
27-06-2017, 06:10 PM
I always believe in best 22, if Boyd is the best option he gets a game.

However, he has not played well this year at all. Perhaps he has regained form at VFL level.

merantau
27-06-2017, 06:50 PM
Matthew Boyd - what an absolute champ. I would love to see him back in form and back on the big stage.

josie
27-06-2017, 07:29 PM
RWB to the core. What great leadership he shows. Will be helping the young ones in vfl grow their games, very vocal and calming influence. Pretty sure he will be promoted and not adverse to midfield role either.

azabob
27-06-2017, 08:16 PM
I heard his interview this morning. He is a true champion of the club.

The inner sanctum regardless of the player is must listen to radio.

always right
28-06-2017, 01:17 PM
We should play our best team. If he's in our best he plays......sentiment comes in when finals are out of the question.

boydogs
03-07-2017, 11:38 PM
Going by his VFL game on the weekend he should be back in this week but not as a backman , he starred on the ball !
Maybe we need to let him loose one more time with the way our mids are struggling eg Libba and Jong out injured.

I would bring him in to the midfield then. Yeah he will butcher it 1-2 times a game, like Jong and Stevens with their hospital handballs, but we are desperately lacking hardness around the ball. We miss Crameri, Dunkley, Jong and Smith

azabob
04-07-2017, 08:24 AM
Boyd is stuck in no mans land. If finals continue to drift further and further away we need to play Webb, Williams & Lynch to see if they have a future at our club. But if we start winning and he's not part of the 22 I can't see us changing the 22 unless an injury occurs.

If round 22 comes and finals is out of the question hopefully he can play one final game with Murphy and Morris.

bornadog
06-07-2017, 09:33 PM
Matty hasn't been selected this week. After this round there are 10 more H&A games for him to be selected, plus how ever many finals. Will he break some of the records near him in games? He's on 290 games currently.

- His 290 games already equals the most games played by a rookie. One more game to 291 games and he sits above Dean Cox who played 290.
- 300 games at our club is an amazing club, one he deserves to be in. That requires 10 more games this year.

I don't think he plays on next year, fwiw. Hence why the question is about this year.

291 coming up.

bulldogtragic
06-07-2017, 11:26 PM
291 coming up.

The highest games played by a rookie ever. Bravo Matty B!!

macca
08-07-2017, 12:47 AM
Well done. Boyd, tough as nails. You were good tonight had that hardness down back. The last quarter touched and then tackle on betts was Super. I hope you can get to 300 games