PDA

View Full Version : Operation: Re-Sign Bailey Dale

bulldogtragic
25-06-2017, 08:52 PM
The kid has been a bright light in an otherwise mediocre year to date. With a decent run at this year, 7 games so far, his averages per game are (rounded):

Disposals: 18
Marks: 3
Clearances: 2
Inside 50's: 3
Goal Assists: 1
Shots: 1 (3.4 should be the other way around with the goal paid as behind that should've been reviewed in Perth)
Tackles: 2.5

Those are good numbers for a kid whose game tally stood at 14 at the begining of the year, and as an outside player. Last night I noticed just how excellent his hands are in controlling the ball in tight. First for his goals, but in Sucklings snap goal in the last where he was able to grab the ball backhanded at full pace, control it well enough to collect it and dish for the goal assist was not something I've seen too much of.

With more experience and strength he's going to keep improving, and we need his attributes. I know I'm a big fan of the kid, but for me I'd like to see him signed up very quickly. The CBA is done, and he's shown he's worth a spot on the list. Not to mention he's being mentioned by media folks as a very talented kid. Get it done JMac.

lemmon
25-06-2017, 10:02 PM
He's a jet. There was a piece of ball handling on the wing and his clever little crumb and goal that make me think he might be in the most talented few players on the list.

I was pretty firm in thinking Webb would still be the best of that draft crop at the start of the year...I might have been wrong.

azabob
25-06-2017, 10:19 PM
He has always been clean and very light on his feet. He is now starting to get more of the footy so it's now more obvious. His goals have always had a touch of class about them.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
25-06-2017, 10:25 PM
The Kid

josie
25-06-2017, 10:51 PM
Agree. One of those players that seems to glide across the turf. One of my faves from the younger brigade.

westdog54
25-06-2017, 11:04 PM
My knock on him had always been that he didn't get enough of the ball. When he was getting it, he was using it well and looked a smooth mover.

Now that he's racking up big numbers there's not much standing in his way.

He's a player all right.

jeemak
26-06-2017, 12:04 AM
He's not even 21 years old yet.

Let's apply the average output of anyone who's played two and a half season ever, and think about how it applies to Dale.

If we're doing over players this early we'll be forever rebuilding.

ratsmac
26-06-2017, 12:36 AM
I'm sure we would be working on a contract at the moment. He has certainly shown enough to be given another couple of years at least.

He has come along nicely especially considering how light he was when he arrived. He seriously looked like he was 14 years old. He is still quite skinny but you can see he has put on muscle. I have noticed that he is quite strong around the hips and can twist out of tackles. He knows where the goals are too. Yep, sign him up.

bornadog
26-06-2017, 06:19 PM
Western Bulldogs youngster Bailey Dale wants to stay at Whitten Oval (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/western-bulldogs-youngster-bailey-dale-wants-to-stay-at-whitten-oval-20170626-gwyrmi.html?platform=hootsuite)

Promising Bulldogs youngster Bailey Dale says he wants to remain at the club beyond this season, with the out-of-contract forward motivated to emulate the premiership success he witnessed on the sidelines last year.

The 20-year-old was one of the Bulldogs' best in their thrilling one-point win over North Melbourne on Saturday night, racking up 18 disposals and kicking two goals.

In a season where coach Luke Beveridge admits the reigning premiers have "stagnated", Dale has been one of the few Dogs to show obvious improvement.

He has played in six of the Dogs' last seven matches, including a breakout game against St Kilda in round 10, when he kicked a goal and had 27 disposals.

Dale struggled for opportunity last season, missing out on the Bulldogs' historic premiership and playing only four senior games.

But even though he could seek greater opportunities at another club, like Nathan Hrovat and Koby Stevens did at the end of last year, Dale said he wants to stay at Whitten Oval.

"Yeah that's the plan, definitely," he said after Saturday night's win.

"I'm not too sure [about contract negotiations], my manager's sorting that out, but hopefully something gets done soon and I can continue playing good footy."

The agile forward said he was pleased to finally get an extended run in the senior team and prove himself at AFL level.

"It's been good to get that continuity and to play consistent footy, which I haven't been able to do in my last two years," he said.

"But now I'm playing a few more games and getting that confidence to really grow my game in the seniors and earn my spot."

Dale said seeing his teammates experience premiership success last September, acted as a driving force for his rapid improvement.

"It certainly does [motivate you]. Obviously everyone wants to play in an AFL premiership and unfortunately I wasn't in the team at the right time to play last year," he said.

"But hopefully we can do it again this year and I can be [in the team] when it happens."

There were fears that Tom Boyd's hefty $6 million contract would make it difficult for the Bulldogs to keep their talented young list together, but so far this has not been the case.

All-Australian pair Jake Stringer and Marcus Bontempelli are locked away until the end of 2018 and 2019 respectively, while this year has seen premiership heroes Fletcher Roberts and Clay Smith recommit to the club.

Besides Dale, the other two noteworthy youngsters yet to re-sign at the Bulldogs are Lukas Webb and Mitch Honeychurch.

Both have struggled to cement their spot in Beveridge's side and could attract offers from rival clubs.

But with the salary cap set to leap 20 per cent this year through the AFL's new pay deal, the Bulldogs will have more money to entice the talented duo to stay put at the kennel.

GVGjr
26-06-2017, 06:43 PM
Based on a conversation I had on Saturday I believe negotiations are close. It wouldn't surpise me to hear this gets done in the next 2 weeks. There is definitely a spot for him if he continues to develop.

bulldogtragic
26-06-2017, 06:54 PM
Based on a conversation I had on Saturday I believe negotiations are close. It wouldn't surpise me to hear this gets done in the next 2 weeks. There is definitely a spot for him if he continues to develop.

So you're saying rack another one up for BT? High five! :D

GVGjr
26-06-2017, 07:04 PM
So you're saying rack another one up for BT? High five! :D

Yep :)
I was told another club or two might have got into his managers ear but that we should be confident.
The one thing about our success last year is it will make a few players impatient if they think they can get a more regular game elsewhere. Dale needs to just have a look at how Jong's concerns on getting regular game were answered this year. Until his injury he had racked up a pretty good season. No reason why Bailey Dale shouldn't back himself to command a regular spot with us.

always right
26-06-2017, 07:30 PM
Three words when I think of Bailey.......keeps his feet.

Remi Moses
26-06-2017, 10:20 PM
Great poise and skill
Getting more ball now as well . Need to re-sign

boydogs
26-06-2017, 10:51 PM
Improving rapidly, and is a type we need

Twodogs
27-06-2017, 12:28 AM
Three words when I think of Bailey.......keeps his feet.

It's always been important, one of the first pieces of advice I got (and one of the best) was "you ain't much good to anyone laying on the ground", but it's just so much more important today. The pace the game is played at if you are knocked over you can be out of the next couple of contests. Bailey stays on his feet and he thinks fast. He's going to be pretty big too going by his frame.

azabob
17-08-2017, 02:22 PM
Operation complete.

Signed till end of 2019.

bulldogtragic
17-08-2017, 02:27 PM
Great result for the club. Must have been what Bob said, his retirement was needed to give Bailey a pay rise. :D

Twodogs
17-08-2017, 03:09 PM
Great result for the club. Must have been what Bob said, his retirement was needed to give Bailey a pay rise. :D

Actually it was to free up the #2. Bailey plays for free, nobody has told him AFL footballers get payed yet.:)

It's all Tom Boyd's fault with his million dollar contract taking up 100% of the salary cap. We've had to back load a lot of contracts.

Twodogs
17-08-2017, 03:11 PM
Anyway great news that Bailey has signed a new contract.

jeemak
17-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Excellent news. He's come along really well and has a lot of improvement left.

With Boyd's contract, aren't we at the stage now where it tapers off anyway, having been front loaded?

bornadog
17-08-2017, 03:59 PM
Great stuff for the young fella.

G-Mo77
17-08-2017, 04:45 PM
Wonderful news! Operation over.

bulldogtragic
17-08-2017, 04:49 PM
Excellent news. He's come along really well and has a lot of improvement left.

With Boyd's contract, aren't we at the stage now where it tapers off anyway, having been front loaded?

That's my understanding too.

Remi Moses
17-08-2017, 04:57 PM
Great news. Most improved player this year, probably alongside Toby McLean

Mofra
17-08-2017, 05:05 PM
Really glad we signed him

Remi Moses
17-08-2017, 05:09 PM
Hmmm Boyd contract strikes :eek:

KT31
17-08-2017, 05:33 PM
Great news.

josie
17-08-2017, 06:17 PM
Ripper news...a touch of the bob about our bails...

Go_Dogs
17-08-2017, 07:43 PM
Been a big fan since the TAC games he played in his draft year and has developed well this year.

Now a best 22 player and one who has scope to improve another level too. Well done Bailey.

Smads57
17-08-2017, 10:45 PM
Agree with comments above around this being a good signing for the club. Great news.

ratsmac
17-08-2017, 11:13 PM
Noice.

Now for a breakout game against Port where he kicks 6 and has 30 possies

The Bulldogs Bite
17-08-2017, 11:40 PM
Been a big fan since the TAC games he played in his draft year and has developed well this year.

Now a best 22 player and one who has scope to improve another level too. Well done Bailey.

Yep - remember you claiming him way back.

Good spot - looks quality. Excited to see him next year with another pre-season under his belt, improved endurance/strength and confidence.

Twodogs
18-08-2017, 12:13 AM
Bailey could be our long term replacement for Murph-not that there will ever be another .murph-but Bailey gas a similar build and vision with the ball in his hands, he sums a situation up really quickly and goes with his first option these days. When he first started he would often try and second guess himself and end up holding onto the ball too long. When he learns to get his kicking under control he will be a real gun.

Eastdog
18-08-2017, 11:34 AM
Great news. Been very good this year Bailey a big improver. Keen to see him improve even more over the coming years.

EasternWest
18-08-2017, 09:13 PM
Actually it was to free up the #2. Bailey plays for free, nobody has told him AFL footballers get payed yet.:)

It's all Tom Boyd's fault with his million dollar contract taking up 100% of the salary cap. We've had to back load a lot of contracts.

Paid. Twodogs I am disappoint.

Had a good year. Seems to be a lot stronger physically.

Bloody Tom Boyd, squeezing kids out 😂.

bulldogtragic
18-08-2017, 09:20 PM

Bloody Tom Boyd, squeezing kids out ��.

Are those Barrett's tears upon another signing in your post?

Twodogs
18-08-2017, 09:43 PM

Bloody Tom Boyd, squeezing kids out ��.

Bloody Tom Boyd's million dollar contract affecting my ability to use the language properly. They didn't think about that when they were throwing money around like confetti.

EasternWest
18-08-2017, 10:41 PM
Are those Barrett's tears upon another signing in your post?

Bloody Tom Boyd's million dollar contract affecting my ability to use the language properly. They didn't think about that when they were throwing money around like confetti.

Lol. You guys.

KT31
19-08-2017, 04:11 PM
Worth every cent spent on him so far today.

ledge
19-08-2017, 07:05 PM
Maybe his head age is catching up with his body.

Eastdog
19-08-2017, 08:50 PM
Was great today. What a great signing.

Go_Dogs
19-08-2017, 09:01 PM
Showed more forward nous today than our forwards do. He's probably another bloke we need 3 of as while his goal smarts are important, we need his speed and ball use up the field too.

LostDoggy
19-08-2017, 09:35 PM
Agreed, Bailey had a great game today and kicked well at goal. Well done Bailey!!

lemmon
19-08-2017, 09:46 PM
I've said for a while that I see him as the natural successor to Dickson. He's a natual goal kicker and an awkward matchup, I'd like to see him spend more time in the forward 50

Hotdog60
19-08-2017, 10:27 PM
Bailey needs to get in Jack's ear and convince him it's alright to have a shot for goal.

always right
21-08-2017, 06:24 PM
Bailey needs to get in Jack's ear and convince him it's alright to have a shot for goal.

Except for the fact Bailey Dale can kick 50 meters. He's become our most reliable shot at goal.

Hotdog60
21-08-2017, 06:25 PM
Except for the fact, Bailey Dale can Mick 50 meters. He's become our most reliable shot at goal.

True, but Jack won't shoot from 10 metres out.:)

bornadog
21-08-2017, 06:41 PM

He did it again on Saturday. Instead of having a shot tried to centre the ball. I was so frustrated with him.

His lack of goals is holding him back from being regarded as an elite player. He had 41 disposals at an efficiency rate of 81%, that is actually phenomenal.

Sedat
21-08-2017, 07:26 PM
The irony of Jack kicking the most important goal in the club's history is not lost on me.

Hotdog60
21-08-2017, 10:09 PM
The irony of Jack kicking the most important goal in the club's history is not lost on me.

Very true, but I held my breath while he was shooting.
It must all go down to confidence.

Happy Days
21-08-2017, 10:43 PM

Tom Boyd would like a word. Jack's was massive but the whole western suburbs erupted for Tom's.

Sedat
21-08-2017, 10:48 PM
Tom Boyd would like a word. Jack's was massive but the whole western suburbs erupted for Tom's.
There might not have been any Tom Boyd GF heroics without Jack's goal in the PF.

westdog54
21-08-2017, 11:04 PM
There might not have been any Tom Boyd GF heroics without Jack's goal in the PF.

Gotta agree with this. That goal was about as clutch as it gets.

Happy Days
21-08-2017, 11:13 PM

Gotta agree with this. That goal was about as clutch as it gets.

Best debate ever?

Mantis
22-08-2017, 09:33 AM
He did it again on Saturday. Instead of having a shot tried to centre the ball. I was so frustrated with him.

His lack of goals is holding him back from being regarded as an elite player. He had 41 disposals at an efficiency rate of 81%, that is actually phenomenal.

41 touches, 7 inside 50's... but just 1 goal assist and 0.0. Going forward he needs to impact the score board a lot more.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2017, 10:43 PM
A nice silver lining to a crap year. That a boy Bailey. 17 goals in 15 games this year.*

Go_Dogs
26-08-2017, 12:29 AM
A nice silver lining to a crap year. That a boy Bailey. 17 goals in 15 games this year.*

If he can develop his contested game a little more, he's going to be some player. Has a knack for finding space and opportunity up front which is a big commodity.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-08-2017, 12:57 AM
Great second half of the year - I was most excited for his development this year and he delivered. Pity about 90% of the rest of the list.

Dale can be a special player.

DOG GOD
26-08-2017, 11:27 AM
Very impressed with young Bailey. He moves like silk, is good below his knees, pretty good mark, and good shot on goal. Can we clone him to fill multiple roles?

comrade
26-08-2017, 11:29 AM
Very impressed with young Bailey. He moves like silk, is good below his knees, pretty good mark, and good shot on goal. Can we clone him to fill multiple roles?

That finish on the run was elite. I'm excited to see how he performs with another pre-season in the gym.

Ozza
26-08-2017, 11:31 AM
That finish on the run was elite. I'm excited to see how he performs with another pre-season in the gym.

Yep. I know the players all like to look up and survey their options inside 50 and have a pass-first mentality - but I have to say I quite enjoy that Bailey doesn't really even look, just a step or two and tees off....as he should with that finishing class.

comrade
26-08-2017, 11:36 AM
Yep. I know the players all like to look up and survey their options inside 50 and have a pass-first mentality - but I have to say I quite enjoy that Bailey doesn't really even look, just a step or two and tees off....as he should with that finishing class.

It's been evident since day one that he is very good around goals. He kicked plenty at Footscray but couldn't quite put it together at AFL level. Now that the penny has dropped and he realises he belongs, the finishing has come with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Williams undergoes a similar progression next year.

DOG GOD
26-08-2017, 11:45 AM

Very much so, and I agree, another preseason in the gym could give him qualities of a Fyfe type. A players that can break the lines, and has polish on the run. He's certainly got the skill level and marking ability to become an elite player in the competition, and most importantly to us, a goal kicker.

DOG GOD
26-08-2017, 11:48 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Williams undergoes a similar progression next year. Williams has attributes too, but sometimes can be like a deer in headlights when quickly confronted by the opposition. Hopefully another preseason will build that upper body up even more, and becoming a regular in the 22 will give him that more confident approach to trust his instincts.

josie
26-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Loved Bailey Dale since I saw him in vfl. Funny how the silky players or players with special attributes stick out like sore thumbs even in early games in vfl or preseason matches (Dale, Daniel, R.Smith). So happy the mc gave him a decent run in the seniors, albeit mostly through lack of depth this year. I think Dale is our new Bob.

Hoping Roarke Smith can recover well from his 2 knee recos 'coz I think he has some qualities we are sadly lacking (speed, marking ability, can make bone crunching tackles and fearless).

bornadog
26-08-2017, 01:49 PM
Williams has attributes too, but sometimes can be like a deer in headlights when quickly confronted by the opposition. Hopefully another preseason will build that upper body up even more, and becoming a regular in the 22 will give him that more confident approach to trust his instincts.

We easily forget that Williams is still 19 years old and will be better in the next few years. Dale needs to get into the Gym and make those tackles stick, but as others have said, his goal kicking ability is fantastic to see.

bulldogtragic
26-08-2017, 01:53 PM
We easily forget that Williams is still 19 years old and will be better in the next few years. Dale needs to get into the Gym and make those tackles stick, but as others have said, his goal kicking ability is fantastic to see.

And long range goal kicking. Bailey Williams is 0.6 from long range, Suckling would be less than 50/50 this season proper long range. I think we need Bailey Dale running past at 50 or set shots around 50. He's far more reliable based on this season.

BornInDroopSt'54
22-02-2023, 03:23 PM
Zero Hanger's take on Dale this season:

Bailey Dale ($561,100) - 2%
The sling-shotting Bulldogs backman is the eighth most expensive defender heading into the 2023 season off the back of his 101.9 average from last year.

Dale will again be Luke Beveridge's go-to man to run the ball out of the backline and will likely take a majority of the Dogs' kick-ins this year, particularly with fellow defender Caleb Daniel flagged for a potential move into the midfield.

Should Daniel split his time between the back third and the middle, Dale is likely to benefit most from a SuperCoach perspective, with more of the ball in his hands to relieve their last line.