PDA

View Full Version : Bankers And Anchors - Round 15, 2017 vs West Coast

Eastdog
23-05-2017, 09:17 PM
This is the round 15, 2017 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against West Coast is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Optional: New addition to the Bankers and Anchors Banchors 3 players we thought who were in the middle in how they went in the game neither a Banker or Anchor.

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
01-07-2017, 04:37 PM
Bump

EasternWest
01-07-2017, 04:44 PM
Anchor: Matt Suckling. I never want to see you in our colours again. You're a god-damn double agent and I'm glad you missed out on the GF last year. Your efforts are among the most putrid, disgusting I have ever seen. You're the only Bulldogs player ever that I can say in all honesty I detest. Please never play for us again.

bulldogtragic
01-07-2017, 05:27 PM
B

A fight back that will wallpaper over a few cracks
WCE being as inaccurate as us at goal

A

Being a forward with the delivery they get, week in and week out. It's horrible.
Missing east targets by foot, JJ I'm looking at you, you little Freo Docker you.
Honeychurch. I've seen enough now, and so have the other scouts. Thanks for your service, application and commitment.

Remi Moses
01-07-2017, 06:05 PM
B- Showed some fight , but where was it in the putrid first three .

A- See above .The first three. Effort intent was appalling
Cluband I mean everybody, is too happy with themselves
- Why on earth did we not put any clamps on Gaff,he murdered us

always right
01-07-2017, 07:00 PM
B:
Cordy was just about the only bloke to show any commitment and aggression. Liked his game.
Great last quarter. Where was that effort in the previous three quarters against a depleted Eagles?
Thank you to this group for the 2016 premiership. It's just sad that we have failed to fire a shot at any stage of this season. So so disappointing.

A:
Congrats to the clubs whinging about the free kick differential. You've won this battle.
Stringer, Suckling and Dickson....thank you for your lack of a contribution today. You could not have been more ineffectual.
Sad to see the greatest defender to have played for our club finish this way. Thank you Dale Morris.

EasternWest
01-07-2017, 07:57 PM
Agree with you comment on Cordy AR. He will be a fine player.

Eastdog
01-07-2017, 09:27 PM
Bankers

Dahl - great player

Hunter - thought he was alright

The final quarter effort very good

Anchors

Our forward line output - not up to scratch

The first 3 quarters quite ordinary

Suckling - makes way to many turnovers

Mantis
01-07-2017, 10:36 PM
Bankers

Dahl - great player

Based on today's game?

Almost the worst game of his career, fumbled almost every touch and his kicking was on a different level bad.

He had a shocker!

AndrewP6
01-07-2017, 10:38 PM
Bankers

Dahl - great player

Not today, he was awful.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-07-2017, 10:56 PM
Not today, he was awful.

Agree. What's most peculiar is you can't get a bead on who's in form within our team from week to week. Just when you think you're getting a guy showing a baseline of acceptable form, they drop away the next week.

It must be frustrating as hell for the match committee trying to guess if a player's form is going to hold.

Dahl is usually one of the warriors you reckon is going to be good for -at worst- an acceptable performance week in week out. Today he dropped below that line.

Maybe its a function of frustration from not being sure whether the guy next to you in the trench is going to give his all that is behind the inconsistency?

Macrae, his field kicking issues aside, is probably the one who has exhibited the most consistently acceptable form week to week so far this year.

hujsh
01-07-2017, 11:43 PM
Agree. What's most peculiar is you can't get a bead on who's in form within our team from week to week. Just when you think you're getting a guy showing a baseline of acceptable form, they drop away the next week.

It must be frustrating as hell for the match committee trying to guess if a player's form is going to hold.

Dahl is usually one of the warriors you reckon is going to be good for -at worst- an acceptable performance week in week out. Today he dropped below that line.

Maybe its a function of frustration from not being sure whether the guy next to you in the trench is going to give his all that is behind the inconsistency?

Macrae, his field kicking issues aside, is probably the one who has exhibited the most consistently acceptable form week to week so far this year.

And his kicking was as bad as it's been today too

merantau
01-07-2017, 11:52 PM
Bankers

1.Zaine Cordy was very good today. Used the ball well.
2. Lachie Hunter put in four quarters
3. Bailey Dale keeps his spot.

Anchors

I might as well put this on the clipboard and just paste it in each week.
1. Kicking for goal. When we need a team lifting goal everyone gets a touch of the Liam Joneses.
2. Our field kicking and delivery inside 50
3 Our clearances We are being smashed.

always right
02-07-2017, 12:08 AM
Today we saw why Dahl is rarely tagged. We all have the greatest admiration for his desperation and never say die attitude but he simply doesn't hurt sides with his disposal.

He reminds of the little kid playing junior footy who just keeps the ball going his team's way but little of it results in anything. The number of times he simply throws it onto his boot, even when in space, is frustrating. He's not our biggest problem but his disposal is the reason he will only be a very good player but never a great one. His ball handling and decision making today is as bad as I've seen it.

Mind you, if Stringer only had Dahl's heart.

bornadog
02-07-2017, 12:22 AM
Bankers

1. Some good defending from Biggs, really tried hard to repel the WC attack.

2. Shocking game from Stringer but the one act that stole the ball in front of goal was quick thinking.

3. Caleb Daniel and Hunter, one of the few mids that gave 4 quarters.

Anchors

1. Stringer, Dickson 3 disposals between them at half time.

2. Bailey Dale - great game but Anchor for running into an open goal and missing

3. Match Committee for picking the wrong team today.

Scorlibo
02-07-2017, 02:20 AM
Bankers

1. Youth. Sometimes it's easy to forget how young some of these guys still are - Dale, Daniel, McLean and Cordy have all shown visible improvement in their games in the last month and are clearly comfortable within the AFL team in only their 3rd year in the system.

2. Campbell was good again, although he didn't reach the heights of last week's game. It will be a big win for us going forward this year if he can hold this form.

3. We are playing nowhere near our potential but still able to be competitive, there are a lot of gains to be made if players like Stringer, Dickson, Libba, M. Boyd and Picken can regain form.

Anchors

1. Wallis playing forward while we are getting smashed at the stoppages.

2. Lack of forward momentum. Not enough players are thinking about how best to engineer the next goal, they seem to be a little bit too satisfied with the safe option. Put that together with players not taking enough care with their disposal and this is classic team of individuals stuff. Time for some honest discussions to be had about what kind of team we want to be.

3. Watched the GWS vs Cats game today and I reckon we might have gone chasing the wrong Giants No. 1 draft pick a couple of years ago. Jono Patton is developing into a beast of a player, wouldn't mind having him in the RW&B.

lemmon
02-07-2017, 08:26 AM
3. Watched the GWS vs Cats game today and I reckon we might have gone chasing the wrong Giants No. 1 draft pick a couple of years ago. Jono Patton is developing into a beast of a player, wouldn't mind having him in the RW&B.

We'd have turned him into a ruckman. Who knows what our version can do when he spends so little time close to goal.

ratsmac
02-07-2017, 10:01 AM
Bankers

1. The improvement in Bailey Dale. He will be alright. He has to settle and nail those easy goals when the opportunity comes though. Someone mentioned in another thread how he keeps his feet and it's one thing I noticed during the game. It's a great trait of his. He kept his feet against Petrie I think it was and set up a goal.

2. Cordy played a great game. He has a real competitive edge that wins him a lot of contests. His game is coming along nicely and just in time too with some older players nearing the end.

3. Last quarter. It was polar opposite to the other 3 quarters. We had our chances to steal one.

Anchors

1. All the passengers that are horribly out of form. We can't afford to carry one player let alone 10. It's an un-Beveridge like team a the minute with players all over the ground losing their position. Watching the game yesterday it's amazing to think that this team won the premiership last season. Its time for some big names to have a run at Footscray to find some touch.

2. Clearance numbers. We are in desperate need of another quality mid that can win a clearance. We owned this stat last year. The mojo between our mids has gone. Losing Libba to form, Jong to an ACL and Wallis is still battling to make up lost ground has probably hurt us in this area. Koby Stevens might be handy right now.

3. a) The media beat up about the Bulldogs getting favour from the umpires. b) The umpires listening to the outside noise and not umpiring the game as to what is actually happening out on the ground. The blatant free kicks that were called play on was borderline cheating. That non advantage call where we goaled is mystifying. If there were ever a textbook play on to advantage situation, that would be the example they put on a DVD and send out to the clubs. I would love to hear how the umpire can justify that call that probably cost us the 4 points in the end. Umpire 31 would be lucky if he paid 1 free kick to us even though there were many right in front of him #cheat

4. Sorry a 4th has to be had. Our forward line is a rabble. Whoever is our forward coach needs to be stood down until he can learn how to implement a working forward system. As goes for the mid coach for forward entries. Deplorable. If the teaching is sound then the players aren't listening so something or someone has to change.

always right
02-07-2017, 11:11 AM
Bankers

1. The improvement in Bailey Dale. He will be alright. He has to settle and nail those easy goals when the opportunity comes though. Someone mentioned in another thread how he keeps his feet and it's one thing I noticed during the game. It's a great trait of his. He kept his feet against Petrie I think it was and set up a goal.

2. Cordy played a great game. He has a real competitive edge that wins him a lot of contests. His game is coming along nicely and just in time too with some older players nearing the end.

3. Last quarter. It was polar opposite to the other 3 quarters. We had our chances to steal one.

Anchors

4. Sorry a 4th has to be had. Our forward line is a rabble. Whoever is our forward coach needs to be stood down until he can learn how to implement a working forward system. As goes for the mid coach for forward entries. Deplorable. If the teaching is sound then the players aren't listening so something or someone has to change.

Don't disagree but would you like to be a forward in our team the way it's delivered? Yesterday was comical.

ratsmac
02-07-2017, 11:35 AM
Don't disagree but would you like to be a forward in our team the way it's delivered? Yesterday was comical.
Definitely not. There is no cohesion between the mids and forwards what so ever. The mids either fluff around with slow plays and unnecessary switching that the forwards don't know when or where to lead. When there is a moment to lead the forward doesn't because they're probably knackered from leading too early and/or the opposition have blocked all space to lead into so the mids just bomb it in and hope for a mark or spillage goal. Most of it comes down to skill and disposal efficiency. Our ball skills are no where near the level they need to be.

merantau
02-07-2017, 11:41 AM
Simon Beasley would win our goal kicking if he was in the team this year. He'd kick about 18 goals and 4 behinds provided he played the full 22 games. Tragic.

Mantis
02-07-2017, 05:43 PM
3. Match Committee for picking the wrong team today.

Really? What should we have done differently?

In the MC thread for the WC game you stated post the North match:

"I wouldn't be dropping anyone else from last night as it was a real team effort." (After saying you would only look at replacing Cordy & Picken who looked sore)

So what is it?

bornadog
02-07-2017, 06:29 PM
Really? What should we have done differently?

In the MC thread for the WC game you stated post the North match:

"I wouldn't be dropping anyone else from last night as it was a real team effort." (After saying you would only look at replacing Cordy & Picken who looked sore)

So what is it?

Are you stalking my posts, as you have done some detective work checking what I write. I am allowed to change my mind aren't I. :confused:

I think the match committee erred in having Roughead at fullback and playing Dickson who has had a very poor season to date.

Redpath should never ever play second ruck again.

Mantis
03-07-2017, 09:58 AM
Are you stalking my posts, as you have done some detective work checking what I write. I am allowed to change my mind aren't I. :confused:

I think the match committee erred in having Roughead at fullback and playing Dickson who has had a very poor season to date.

Redpath should never ever play second ruck again.

If I stalked your posts it would need to be my full time job!

I was just interested in what you believed should have been done differently given your comments about the poor MC dedcisions so was extremely surprised to find that it was nothing.

Agree that Roughead shouldn't be playing in defence, he was useless there in the B-Mac days and hasn't gotten any better. Why on earth we re-signed Roberts for 2 years and then play a ruckman in front of him is beyond me.. Roberts is extremely limited, but if we see a future in him, which we obviously do he needs to play, it's not like he is 19 or 20.. He is a mature player now.

In the post I referenced you made mention that Dickson was out of form and probably needed to be dropped, but also mentioned he would be needed later in the year so should stay in.. So which one was it?

Ozza
03-07-2017, 10:12 AM
Bankers:

Redpath - Our one forward who leads and marks....fancy that producing a few goals!!
Cordy - Turning into a reliable defender, has really good instincts
The 2016 Premiership DVD, which brightens up a poor day.

Anchors:

Roughead - absolute horror day. 2 plays in particular that I'd highlight. 1st one - scores 20-22, we have the Eagles hemmed down at half back and they are struggling to move the ball forward, the zone is working - and then Roughead loses McGovern, no less, in the centre of the ground where they hit him up - the chain is broken and they get out the back for an easy goal.
The 2nd, is when he takes a nice mark in D50, switches and misses Biggs by 10 metres and it goes out of bounds - I can cop a skill error - but he fails to get to the throw in - the Eagles take it out of the ruck, handball to a somehow unmarked Karpany for an easy goal.

Morris - he just couldn't keep up early in the game. Whichever player he went to, goaled. I'm hoping that his interrupted season is the reason for his loss of form, but fear that we might be seeing the beginning of the end.

A collective banker to the inside mids, who couldn't get control of an Eagles midfield without NicNat and Priddis. Was a really pathetic effort.

bornadog
03-07-2017, 01:18 PM
In the post I referenced you made mention that Dickson was out of form and probably needed to be dropped, but also mentioned he would be needed later in the year so should stay in.. So which one was it?

Dickson needs to find form at VFL level and hopefully he will be back in a month to help us win the final games of the year.

comrade
03-07-2017, 02:24 PM
Bankers:

Redpath - Our one forward who leads and marks....fancy that producing a few goals!!
Cordy - Turning into a reliable defender, has really good instincts
The 2016 Premiership DVD, which brightens up a poor day.

Anchors:

Roughead - absolute horror day. 2 plays in particular that I'd highlight. 1st one - scores 20-22, we have the Eagles hemmed down at half back and they are struggling to move the ball forward, the zone is working - and then Roughead loses McGovern, no less, in the centre of the ground where they hit him up - the chain is broken and they get out the back for an easy goal.
The 2nd, is when he takes a nice mark in D50, switches and misses Biggs by 10 metres and it goes out of bounds - I can cop a skill error - but he fails to get to the throw in - the Eagles take it out of the ruck, handball to a somehow unmarked Karpany for an easy goal.

Morris - he just couldn't keep up early in the game. Whichever player he went to, goaled. I'm hoping that his interrupted season is the reason for his loss of form, but fear that we might be seeing the beginning of the end.

A collective banker to the inside mids, who couldn't get control of an Eagles midfield without NicNat and Priddis. Was a really pathetic effort.

That turnover and non effort in the ruck was appalling by Roughy. He then got shrugged off in a tackle later in the game that coughed up another easy goal. One of the worst individual games by a Bulldog in recent years.

Why are we persisting with him at full back with a fit Roberts in the VFL? It is utter madness.

bornadog
03-07-2017, 02:35 PM
That turnover and non effort in the ruck was appalling by Roughy. He then got shrugged off in a tackle later in the game that coughed up another easy goal. One of the worst individual games by a Bulldog in recent years.

Why are we persisting with him at full back with a fit Roberts in the VFL? It is utter madness.

Similarly we persist on putting Morris on taller blokes. Darling spoil which was deemed chopping and Darling goals. Morris should also have killed the ball in the dying moments when the ball ended up in a ball up and WC goaled from the stoppage.

All these small things add up to a 7 point loss.