PDA

View Full Version : Who has been our most intimidating player over the years?

BulldogBelle
14-01-2008, 02:13 PM
There have a been a few intimidating type players over the years at our club – who was the one that you think was feared the most by opposition supporters?

I think Rick Kennedy gets my vote here, just his presence was enough to scare a few – he really just threw himself into any altercation sometimes usually without thinking, Kennedy definitely had the white line fever element about him. Really nice person off the field and savage on field.

Sockeye Salmon
14-01-2008, 02:26 PM
There have a been a few intimidating type players over the years at our club – who was the one that you think was feared the most by opposition supporters?

I think Rick Kennedy gets my vote here, just his presence was enough to scare a few – he really just threw himself into any altercation sometimes usually without thinking, Kennedy definitely had the white line fever element about him. Really nice person off the field and savage on field.

On 'Jack Dyer's Hard Men of Footy', a one-off show from (more than) a few years back, Tony Lockett was being interviewed about his toughest opponents. His comment was "when Ricky Kennedy's eyes start rolling back into his head you knew you were in trouble".

It sort of lost it's impact, though, when the accompanying footage was of Lockett sitting on top of Kennedy belting the living suitcase out of him.

Bulldog Revolution
14-01-2008, 06:09 PM
I agree with BBelle, Kennedy was the most intimidating on field presence I can remember.

As a boy I remember standing at the Barkly st end and seeing Lockett and Kennedy go at it in the goal square. I remember being very scared of both men.

LostDoggy
14-01-2008, 06:17 PM
On 'Jack Dyer's Hard Men of Footy', a one-off show from (more than) a few years back, Tony Lockett was being interviewed about his toughest opponents. His comment was "when Ricky Kennedy's eyes start rolling back into his head you knew you were in trouble".

It sort of lost it's impact, though, when the accompanying footage was of Lockett sitting on top of Kennedy belting the living suitcase out of him.

It was a real square up for the all the knees that Kennedy dropped into him when Plugger was a youngster. Kennedy never tried that rubbish with him again.

I never saw him play but EJ must have been clearly the most intimidating player to ever pull on the red,white and blue.

Libba had a number of players bluffed, Kretuik stood a lot taller than his height and Southern's appearance scared a few foes.

bornadog
14-01-2008, 06:56 PM
I agree Kennedy was the most inimidating.

One that surprised me was Libba from 1997. I couldn't believe how much opposition supporters spoke about him and how opposition players were really worried about him. He was intimidating in a different way. I guess he was a tough little nuggest for his size.

LostDoggy
15-01-2008, 09:31 AM
EJ by a mile.

Then followed by Sutton, Sandilands, Kennedy, Southern and possibly Minson

Rocket Science
15-01-2008, 10:26 AM
With the exception being a certain sleeper-hold on Sumich and a glorified 'welcome-to-the-big-time-young-feller' tickle for Gardiner, Danny Southern looked hard as nails, but while always a trier and not afraid to get his nose dirty was more of a nice bloke than a mongrel and wasn't really the sort of bloke to go throwing his weight around.

Steve MacPerson anyone? Anyone crossing a line with a teammate always booked an immediate appointment with Supa...Jeez I miss him.

Also, Jock Edmond wasn't exactly a textbook enforcer-type but if having a dirty day or feeling aggrieved would occasionally develop that look in his eye and go sniping. Ask Russell Morris :D

We're decidely light on intimidators in the post E.J. era.

Minson has that capacity, but he's a little reckless with it and needs to choose his spots for full effect methinks.

Sockeye Salmon
15-01-2008, 10:48 AM
I never really rated Steve Kernahan. The main reason was thay Kennedy would always give him one to the back of the head early on and that was Kernahan sorted for the day. He always managed to get a couple of cheap goals when the game was over but Tits had his measure.

Cyberdoggie
15-01-2008, 12:07 PM

must of caught him by surprise, or lockett fooled him into coming in for a close attack.
I think you'd need to keep your distance on plugger, having him sit on you probably isn't the best method.

LostDoggy
15-01-2008, 01:35 PM
With the exception being a certain sleeper-hold on Sumich and a glorified 'welcome-to-the-big-time-young-feller' tickle for Gardiner, Danny Southern looked hard as nails, but while always a trier and not afraid to get his nose dirty was more of a nice bloke than a mongrel and wasn't really the sort of bloke to go throwing his weight around.

Steve MacPerson anyone? Anyone crossing a line with a teammate always booked an immediate appointment with Supa...Jeez I miss him.

Also, Jock Edmond wasn't exactly a textbook enforcer-type but if having a dirty day or feeling aggrieved would occasionally develop that look in his eye and go sniping. Ask Russell Morris :D

We're decidely light on intimidators in the post E.J. era.

Minson has that capacity, but he's a little reckless with it and needs to choose his spots for full effect methinks.

Spot on about MacPherson and Edmond. MacPherson on Lewis was as tough as duel as you could hope to see.

LostDoggy
15-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Mark West was intimidating for the short period he played. He could deliver a great shirt front

Mofra
15-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Other who haven't been mentioned:
- Keenan Reynolds could hold his own against anyone, big boy. For a long time only Dunstall could bench press more, supposedly both records held for a couple of years after both were gone
- Galaxy flew the flag abit in his time
- Our own Rikki-Lake doesn't cop much niggle from opposition forwards, one of the few backman to demand respect for his presence
- Have heard players talk about Mitch Hahn in hushed tones as well

Was a massive Kennedy fan as a kid so he gets my overall nod, as I never saw Whitten & Co play.