PDA

View Full Version : So.

Twodogs
08-07-2017, 02:04 AM
My son's birthday is coming up and a while ago he said he wanted to go to the Adelaide game for his present. Come Tuesday we still hadn't actually organised anything like tickets or transport or anything so I aid to him "mate I'm sorry but I can't see how we are going to the footy in Friday night. We haven't got tickets to get into the ground for one thing" but he said he didn't care he still wanted to go to Adelaide. Even if we just stood outside the ground watching on the big screen he just wanted to go. So we booked tickets to Adelaide on the overnight bus on Wednesday night.

We rock up to the ground (it's a great venue, easily the best in the AFL) have a couple of laps around the ground and then head over to Hungry Jacks before we went to find a pub close to the ground to watch. While we were sitting in HJ's ( in our bulldog gear) an Adelaide supporter comes over and asks if we were right for tickets. We said we weren't so he handed us two crows memberships and took us into the ground with him.

I may have said some harsh things about Adelaide in the past but i have totally changed my opinion. And Adelaide Oval is almost perfect for watching the game. Even standing on the hill behind the goals you can see what's happening in the goal square at the other end of the ground. That's amazing because I've never been to a ground where you can do that.

Anyway, Adelaide us a great place. Friendly locals and a terrific footy ground.

AndrewP6
08-07-2017, 02:08 AM
Great to hear you had a good experience. Completely at odds with every experience I've had there, but anyhoo....

Twodogs
08-07-2017, 02:20 AM
Great to hear you had a good experience. Completely at odds with every experience I've had there, but anyhoo....

Me too Andrew. Footy Park was an awful, awful place to watch football at. But this trip has been so positive (except for the result) that I wanted to mention it.

jeemak
08-07-2017, 02:38 AM
I'm sorry the team put in a worrying effort, glad you had an opportunity to have a great time with your son Carl.

Best story to come out of the night so far.

westdog54
08-07-2017, 03:21 AM
Me too Andrew. Footy Park was an awful, awful place to watch football at. But this trip has been so positive (except for the result) that I wanted to mention it.

Maybe its a football park thing, and Adelaide Oval has an air of dignity to it.

Or maybe Adelaide supporters have grown up.

Scraggers
09-07-2017, 12:57 AM
Happy Birthday to mini-Twodogs (does that make him Onedogs??)

Doc26
09-07-2017, 01:40 AM
Commitment is super impressive off the back of the abysmal West Coast performance. I still have the sads from that week's showing.
I tip my hat to both of you.

1eyedog
09-07-2017, 01:54 AM

Definitely the former.

The Adelaide Connection
09-07-2017, 02:23 AM
Adelaide really does get a harsh wrap. I worked at AAMI for several years and am a regular at AO and there is nothing I have seen from the crowd (in terms of type or frequency) that you don't see from every other ground in Australia. Glad you had a great experience (aside the result).

Just as aside, if you ever find yourself on a bus to Adelaide without tickets to a sold out game hit me up. Perhaps we need a weekly who has spare/needs extra tickets thread akin the GF one.

Twodogs
09-07-2017, 03:47 AM

Definitely the former.

Footy Park just wasn't a good place to watch footy. It reminded me a lit of Waverly Park with the concrete and seating bays and atmosphere whereas AO is a great venue-they have certainly learned from the mistakes that Etihad made and have given it a more homely feel with the hill. Definitely a case of boiled lollies to chocolates.

Happy Birthday to mini-Twodogs (does that make him Onedogs??)

He's busily trying to earn the nickname if that helps. ;) He seems pretty committed to that goal at the moment.

Commitment is super impressive off the back of the abysmal West Coast performance. I still have the sads from that week's showing.
I tip my hat to both of you.

You just never know. We might have seen something special from the boys and if we'd missed I wouldn't have been popular.

Adelaide really does get a harsh wrap. I worked at AAMI for several years and am a regular at AO and there is nothing I have seen from the crowd (in terms of type or frequency) that you don't see from every other ground in Australia. Glad you had a great experience (aside the result).

Just as aside, if you ever find yourself on a bus to Adelaide without tickets to a sold out game hit me up. Perhaps we need a weekly who has spare/needs extra tickets thread akin the GF one.

Cheers mate.

How's this? We bought a serve of chips at a seafood place called Pauls seafood (I think) and sit out the front to eat them and just as we are finishing the chef comes out with another serve and pours it in the container! " enjoy boys" he says.

bornadog
09-07-2017, 10:40 AM
Other than the Footy TD, sounds like you had a good trip with your son.

Twodogs
09-07-2017, 02:37 PM
Other than the Footy TD, sounds like you had a good trip with your son.

Great time. We were supposed to go back yesterday but we've booked the departure date back twice already. ATM we are booked in for the Monday night trip back but who knows. :cool:

ledge
09-07-2017, 05:28 PM
I like Adelaide I have a few relations there and the beaches are so clean, its a bit of a time warp of about 10 years but very friendly and scenic place.

always right
09-07-2017, 05:51 PM
Travelled with the whole family to see us play The Power last year. No issues with their supporters and reckon it's the best ground to watch football in the AFL.

Went to the Cairns match the previous year and we're travelling to Brisbane in August this year hoping to keep our winning record intact.......although I'm not confident the way this year is turning out.

Twodogs
09-07-2017, 08:11 PM
I like Adelaide I have a few relations there and the beaches are so clean, its a bit of a time warp of about 10 years but very friendly and scenic place.

It's a lot like Melbourne used to be before we managed to *!*!*!*! the place up knocking down or building on top of all the heritage buildings and making it look like a monstrosity.

Twodogs
09-07-2017, 09:47 PM
They have proper fish and chips in Adelaide. None of your grilled fish nonsense. Dip it in batter and fry it until you can't tell what sort of fish it is. That's proper fish and chips. Much less expensive than Melbourne too. Fish is only 5 bucks, 2.50 minimum of chips.

westdog54
10-07-2017, 08:11 AM
They have proper fish and chips in Adelaide. None of your grilled fish nonsense. Dip it in batter and fry it until you can't tell what sort of fish it is. That's proper fish and chips. Much less expensive than Melbourne too. Fish is only 5 bucks, 2.50 minimum of chips.

$5 for fish is about ball-park once you get 20kms away from the city. $2.50 for chips is quite low.

If you're fond of Fish n Chips I've got some travel advice for you: Never, ever, ever go to Sydney. They have no clue what they're doing.

Ozza
10-07-2017, 09:53 AM
I am in Adelaide regularly for work, occasionally get to a game at Adelaide Oval, and also go to the Adelaide Test every year. I think its a great city. They do food, drink and sport brilliantly well - so they are alright with me. Always found the people to be great, and its easy to get around.

Twodogs
10-07-2017, 10:56 AM
$5 for fish is about ball-park once you get 20kms away from the city. $2.50 for chips is quite low.

If you're fond of Fish n Chips I've got some travel advice for you: Never, ever, ever go to Sydney. They have no clue what they're doing.

Whenever I feel like going to Sydney I go to Hobart instead. The landscape and bay is exactly the same but people are so much nicer.

Cyberdoggie
10-07-2017, 12:30 PM

Yeah, who needs to know what fish or other sea creature type creation is in your fish anyway I say! :)

Just as long as it's not butterfish!.........

craigsahibee
10-07-2017, 03:57 PM
Sounds like a great experience.

What is this game and result you are all talking about?

According to my recollection the last 7 days have been like Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday - day, Richmond lost, Carlton Lost, back to work Monday.

Have I missed something?

Twodogs
10-07-2017, 04:02 PM
Sounds like a great experience.

What is this game and result you are all talking about?

According to my recollection the last 7 days have been like Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday - day, Richmond lost, Carlton Lost, back to work Monday.

Have I missed something?

Yep. We only lose when there is a 'Y' in the days name.

craigsahibee
10-07-2017, 04:22 PM
Yep. We only lose when there is a 'Y' in the days name.

Looking forward to the next Satdee Night game then.

Twodogs
10-07-2017, 04:28 PM
Looking forward to the next Satdee Night game then.

Saterdee night alllllready old, walking into Sunday and I find...

craigsahibee
10-07-2017, 04:58 PM
Saterdee night alllllready old, walking into Sunday and I find...

All our Mids are cold and our key forwards kick behinds

Twodogs
10-07-2017, 05:46 PM
All our Mids are cold and our key forwards kick behinds

Very good. Very, very good.

Twodogs
11-07-2017, 09:20 PM
It's funny but as we walked towards the Mall we were going to Macca's but when we got there we decided that it was too packed and went to HJ's instead. If we hadn't gone to HJ's we wouldn't have met the guy who had two tickets suddenly available because his girlfriend (I assume) dropped out right on game time and went home.

So, if Macca's hadn't been so packed we probably wouldn't have met our new temporary friend and would have been consigned to watching the game on the big screen outside. Life is weird sometimes.

bornadog
11-07-2017, 09:43 PM
It's funny but as we walked towards the Mall we were going to Macca's but when we got there we decided that it was too packed and went to HJ's instead. If we hadn't gone to HJ's we wouldn't have met the guy who had two tickets suddenly available because his girlfriend (I assume) dropped out right on game time and went home.

So, if Macca's hadn't been so packed we probably wouldn't have met our new temporary friend and would have been consigned to watching the game on the big screen outside. Life is weird sometimes.

On to Sydney now to watch the Gunners :)

Throughandthrough
11-07-2017, 11:50 PM
Adelaide Oval is an excellent venue

My Footy experience Friday night

1> My car got sideswiped by a bus in the Centre of the City (minimal damage)
2> Had to pull over and change a flat tyre, from the bingle, right in the CBD, so i could get to the footy. Parked in a safe spot, right in front of a sex shop, wearing bulldogs gear changing the %^%^* tyre in pissing rain while drunk locals offered me advice
3> Got to the Footy, got to seat with a minute to spare (yay)
4>Footy match was boring
5>Told the missus about the bingle (error) which meant she spent the first half texting me wanting all the info, wanting me to ring the cops, and generally being sh(tty with me for damaging her new car
6> Got rained on

josie
12-07-2017, 01:16 AM
So, T&T, you had a good time? I too went to match. Peeved oppo fans left in rain like Geelong. Presume reason is to ensure heritage scoreboard is kept. No excuse in Geelong. Rest of my weekend was beaut though, even with the drizzle. Love their farmers market on Sunday morning and the trail walks in Lofty Ranges so close to cbd. Thought the first half was ok and at least we were dour however agree last half was boring or rather embarrassing. I strangely felt quite peaceful after 3rd quarter thinking at least we are likely to see some of the kids having a run. That and hoping we use rest of year as prep for next year. Oh, and remembering 1/10/16 still brings a smile...

LostDoggy
12-07-2017, 06:53 AM

I love when fate comes into it. It was meant to be and glad you both had a great time. Special times with family are to be treasured. HJ's is better anyway!

Twodogs
13-07-2017, 03:06 AM
Adelaide Oval is an excellent venue

My Footy experience Friday night

1> My car got sideswiped by a bus in the Centre of the City (minimal damage)
2> Had to pull over and change a flat tyre, from the bingle, right in the CBD, so i could get to the footy. Parked in a safe spot, right in front of a sex shop, wearing bulldogs gear changing the %^%^* tyre in pissing rain while drunk locals offered me advice
3> Got to the Footy, got to seat with a minute to spare (yay)
4>Footy match was boring
5>Told the missus about the bingle (error) which meant she spent the first half texting me wanting all the info, wanting me to ring the cops, and generally being sh(tty with me for damaging her new car
6> Got rained on

Was it that downpour about an hour before the game? We got caught in that and that was pretty heavy. It lasted until we reached the ground too.

So, T&T, you had a good time? I too went to match. Peeved oppo fans left in rain like Geelong. Presume reason is to ensure heritage scoreboard is kept. No excuse in Geelong. Rest of my weekend was beaut though, even with the drizzle. Love their farmers market on Sunday morning and the trail walks in Lofty Ranges so close to cbd. Thought the first half was ok and at least we were dour however agree last half was boring or rather embarrassing. I strangely felt quite peaceful after 3rd quarter thinking at least we are likely to see some of the kids having a run. That and hoping we use rest of year as prep for next year. Oh, and remembering 1/10/16 still brings a smile...

It was quite nice up on the hill. Even in the rain.

I love when fate comes into it. It was meant to be and glad you both had a great time. Special times with family are to be treasured. HJ's is better anyway!

For sure.