PDA

View Full Version : Overs/Par/Unders

Rocco Jones
08-07-2017, 12:10 PM
In terms of expectations, I am classifying players as either performing over, under or on par for the season. The unders aren't an out and out criticism, could be injury or whatever. More an analysis on why we are where we are.

So many senior players in the unders section. A couple of positive with kids mainly in the overs. Ignoring the purely developmental guys in the VFL, it's 14 unders to 7 overs. Again, the overs aren't really stars, just developing.

Overs
Macrae- consistent performer
Cordy- love his attitude
Campbell
McLean- is quickly turning into a legit inside mid
Lipsinki- promising start
Dale- really positive
Young- promising start
Daniel
Redpath
English

Par
Suckling- I think he is average, so par
Bob- only injuries have stopped him from being overs, really good comeback
Wallis- brave comeback but looking liited
Bont- it's a high standard
Dahl- was overs until last fortnight
Wood
Roberts
Webb- needs a real go
Dunkley- going well before injury
Biggs
Adams- injured but looked quality before it.
Hamilton
Prudden
Greene
Collins
Williams- needs a crack at it
Lynch
NMM
Jong
Tweedie

Unders
M.Boyd-feel bad
Hunter
Crameri- struggled then injured
Stringer
Cloke
C.Smith
T.Boyd- once again not a criticism, just a raw analysis
Libba- poster child of this category
Honeychurch
Roughy
Dickson- really struggling
R.Smith- poor fella
Morris- hate having him here
JJ
Picken

Sedat
08-07-2017, 12:17 PM
Some generous assessments there Rocco. I'd have Macrae, Campbell, Daniel and Redpath in the PAR category. And I'd have Bont, Dahl, Wood, Robert and Biggs in the UNDERS category.

Really only Cordy, Dale and McLean have shown any discernible improvement of the non draftees. That is an indictment on the playing group at large.

Rocco Jones
08-07-2017, 12:21 PM
Some generous assessments there Rocco. I'd have Macrae, Campbell, Daniel and Redpath in the PAR category. And I'd have Bont, Dahl, Wood, Robert and Biggs in the UNDERS category.

Really only Cordy, Dale and McLean have shown any discernible improvement of the non draftees. That is an indictment on the playing group at large.

I guess the other element is if I took out 'par' as an option, I would have nearly all of them as 'unders'.

always right
08-07-2017, 12:50 PM
Lin Jong must be borderline overs. I have him, McLean, Dale and Cordy as the only improver son last year. Whilst you could argue Jong had a pretty good season last year, I think there are areas of his game he has improved markedly including decision making.

Rocco Jones
08-07-2017, 12:51 PM
My point is the clear unders. They are pretty much all first 22 types and a lot are really valuable.

always right
08-07-2017, 01:01 PM
My point is the clear unders. They are pretty much all first 22 types and a lot are really valuable.

No-one would disagree with you. You can add Bevo and his coaching group.

jeemak
08-07-2017, 01:06 PM

I think we need to reassess their value. Just because they played out of their skins at the end of last year doesn't mean they can do it again.

merantau
08-07-2017, 02:10 PM
Thanks Rocco. I am substantially in agreement with your analysis and therein, to a large extent, lies the story of our season to date.

The bulldog tragician
08-07-2017, 03:25 PM

I think Macrae's year has seen him grow further so I wouldn't agree that he shouldn't be an Over. To produce so consistently in a side that's struggling is even more of a feat. In our wins, strong running and repeat efforts from him late in the game have been crucial.

Bont's year has been a puzzle. When he fires, we fire. He was enormous in the first half but his drop off in the second (can't tell from to why and where he was playing, and it would be too much to expect ch 7 to enlighten us) was in parallel with our drop off.

bornadog
08-07-2017, 03:46 PM
Bont's year has been a puzzle. When he fires, we fire. He was enormous in the first half but his drop off in the second (can't tell from to why and where he was playing, and it would be too much to expect ch 7 to enlighten us) was in parallel with our drop off.

I can't put my finger on it but from the start of the season Bont seems like he struggles to run. It looks like he has gained weight which has effected his running style. I don't know if he still has a hip issue after the prelim last year? Anyone else notice he moves differently?

AndrewP6
08-07-2017, 09:58 PM
I can't put my finger on it but from the start of the season Bont seems like he struggles to run. It looks like he has gained weight which has effected his running style. I don't know if he still has a hip issue after the prelim last year? Anyone else notice he moves differently?

Have thought all year he hasn't moved well.

The Doctor
08-07-2017, 10:32 PM
I think Rocco is too generous on a few. I see it like this (excluding 1st year players)

Overs

Macrae
Dale

Par

Cordy
Campbell
McLean
Daniel
Redpath
Suckling
Bob
Wallis
Dahl
Roberts
Dunkley
Adams
Williams
Jong

Unders

Bont
Biggs
Wood
Webb
Hamilton
Prudden
Collins
Lynch
M.Boyd
Hunter
JJ
Stringer
Cloke
C.Smith
T.Boyd
Honeychurch
Roughy
R.Smith
Morris
Picken

Double Bogeys

Libba
Dickson
Crameri

DOG GOD
08-07-2017, 10:39 PM
I'd drop Macrae to the par list and agree with everything else Doc. JJ very close to double bogey

Doc26
08-07-2017, 10:50 PM
Surprised you would give Easton a Par score. He's not intercepting nor taking the game on anywhere near like he did in 2016. In my view he's as much a barometer of our 2017 season as any.

lemmon
09-07-2017, 10:56 AM
Surprised you would give Easton a Par score. He's not intercepting nor taking the game on anywhere near like he did in 2016. In my view he's as much a barometer of our 2017 season as any.

And I wonder how much of that is due to him having to play taller? He's being played pretty consistently on the second or third tall forward this year, it doesn't leave him much freedom to zone.

bornadog
09-07-2017, 11:03 AM
And I wonder how much of that is due to him having to play taller? He's being played pretty consistently on the second or third tall forward this year, it doesn't leave him much freedom to zone.

Which is one of the issues in our backline.