PDA

View Full Version : JJ Signs deal for 5 years

bornadog
10-07-2017, 06:37 PM
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Photo%20Galleries/2017%20-%20Galleries/2017%20AFL%20Team%20Photo%20Day/485524-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Western Bulldogs defender Jason Johannisen has recommitted to the Club for the next five seasons.

Johannisen, who was out of contract at the end of the 2017 season, has agreed to terms on a deal which will keep him at Victoria University Whitten Oval until at least the end of the 2022 season.

Western Bulldogs List Manager Jason McCartney said that the Club was pleased to see the 24-year-old extend his stay at the kennel.

“Jason is not only a key member of our playing group but a quality individual who is a big part of the future of the Western Bulldogs,” McCartney said.

“To reach the heights he has after coming off the rookie list is a credit to not only his talent and work ethic, but at just 24, we think there’s also still plenty of improvement in him.

“We’ve seen ‘JJ’ grow in leaps and bounds over the past few years, and we’re looking forward to watching him continue to develop as a player and a person at our football club.”

Johannisen was taken with the 39th pick of 2010 AFL Rookie Draft and made his debut against North Melbourne in Round 19, 2012, playing 27 games over the next three seasons.

Under Luke Beveridge, the South African born Johannisen began to flourish as one of the League’s most dangerous attacking half-backs, and was awarded the Norm Smith Medal for his best on ground performance in the 2016 AFL Grand Final.

The Western Australian is the latest in a long line of players to commit to the Club long term, with Johannisen joining Kieran Collins, Lewis Young, Patrick Lipinski, Clay Smith, Marcus Adams, Tim English, Bailey Williams and Fletcher Roberts to have re-signed in 2017.

Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-07-10/johannisen-recommits-to-the-bulldogs)

Twodogs
10-07-2017, 06:40 PM
From westernbulldogs.com

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-07-10/johannisen-recommits-to-the-bulldogs

The Doctor
10-07-2017, 06:44 PM
fantastic. well done

bulldogtragic
10-07-2017, 06:44 PM
I wonder what the $$$ are.

Bulldog4life
10-07-2017, 06:50 PM
Very happy

anfo27
10-07-2017, 06:51 PM

Have a guess BT. I'll go 5 years for $3 million

AndrewP6
10-07-2017, 06:54 PM
Just saw this. Terrific news!!

bulldogtragic
10-07-2017, 06:56 PM
Have a guess BT. I'll go 5 years for $3 million

I'd be happy with that.

jeemak
10-07-2017, 07:00 PM
I think they're likely to be on original terms offered. This is fantastic news and just what the Dr ordered.

Scraggers
10-07-2017, 07:02 PM
Very happy !!

Twodogs
10-07-2017, 07:07 PM
Now let's come and kill us some Carlton. A real bulldog team effort of manic pressure. For four quarters this week.

Grantysghost
10-07-2017, 07:08 PM
650k approx per year according to John Ralph. So probably 600.

GVGjr
10-07-2017, 07:09 PM

Reported as an average of 650K

ledge
10-07-2017, 07:12 PM
Who cares ! But I guess now the Media will start speculating and watch Barrett say we will go broke and it will rip the club apart etc etc

dadsgirl16
10-07-2017, 07:13 PM
Yep good news

bulldogtragic
10-07-2017, 07:14 PM
Who cares ! But I guess now the Media will start speculating and watch Barrett say we will go broke and it will rip the club apart etc etc

I care.

kruder
10-07-2017, 07:17 PM
I had a feeling it was coming :) We need some positive news and now time to play a debutant this week. Everyone needs to remember JJ's first 2 months was excellent many players on our list have struggled all year.

comrade
10-07-2017, 07:18 PM

If it's $650K per year, Barrett won't be speculating about anything. That's a fair price and I'd imagine it's unders compared to what his manager was hoping to squeeze out of the market.

ledge
10-07-2017, 07:31 PM
I care.

Why ? We have no control over it. It is what it is , its not our business.
Quite funny how going back no one cared who got what as long as the players stayed now we have been manipulated by the media speculation in the last few years about how much money etc etc , boils down to the club offered what they thought was reasonable and the player signed.
I hate how the media makes a story out of a story , these journalists are sports journos not money managers , stick to the sport not personal stuff. Just say he signed for 5 years and leave it at that . The AFLs job to watch wages not their business or ours.
I certainly wouldn't want my wage all over the papers .. Attracts robbers etc.
we have become " nosey parkers" :-)

Eastdog
10-07-2017, 07:33 PM
Yes!! Great news. JJ resigns now for him to have a great game on Sunday and we have a good win hopefully.

Eastdog
10-07-2017, 07:36 PM
Now let's come and kill us some Carlton. A real bulldog team effort of manic pressure. For four quarters this week.

Yep hoping that happens on Sunday.

Bulldog Revolution
10-07-2017, 07:51 PM
Brilliant news

boydogs
10-07-2017, 07:57 PM
Hooray! Some good news finally!

Hopefully this can be a turning point for us

ratsmac
10-07-2017, 07:59 PM
Great stuff JJ. Now get back to playing bloody good footy.

Eastdog
10-07-2017, 08:20 PM
Great stuff JJ. Now get back to playing bloody good footy.

His form has not been great recently so hopefully now he gets it back.

angelopetraglia
10-07-2017, 08:25 PM
Sensational news. Some people have short memories. He is a unique player. Nearly impossible to replace.

In the prelim he was instrumental in the crucial play of the game in the last quarter with the line bursting speed that resulted in a team lifting euphoric goal. When no one could find any space in the GF he kept running and creating. Without JJ we don't win the Premiership.

bulldogtragic
10-07-2017, 09:02 PM
So if we believe the media, now JJ is staying, Jake Stringer must be leaving then.

whythelongface
10-07-2017, 09:21 PM
Fantastic news. Well done on getting the deal done.

ledge
10-07-2017, 09:32 PM
So if we believe the media, now JJ is staying, Jake Stringer must be leaving then.

If anyone believes the media they need their head read.
I think they put 100 stories out to make you read them and only one is right.
All about click bait they get paid for how many read the stories , wrong or right doesn't come into it , have you ever seen an AFL journalist apologise for a wrong story ??
They are too busy gloating over the one they got right and forget the rest.

bornadog
10-07-2017, 09:47 PM
Quite funny how going back no one cared who got what as long as the players stayed now we have been manipulated by the media speculation in the last few years about how much money etc etc , boils down to the club offered what they thought was reasonable and the player signed.
I hate how the media makes a story out of a story , these journalists are sports journos not money managers , stick to the sport not personal stuff. Just say he signed for 5 years and leave it at that . The AFLs job to watch wages not their business or ours.

Completely agree, why should we worry about their salary.

bulldogtragic
10-07-2017, 09:55 PM
Completely agree, why should we worry about their salary.

So if we took Trav Cloke on his $600,000 salary at Collingwood you would've been fine?
Taking on Suckling at $600,000 maybe, would've been fine?

To make an informed decision about the worth of a contract, one needs to understands numbers right? By this line of thinking paying him $1,000,000 and celebrate in his re-signing. Knowing the dollar cost of a long contract in an environment of limited salary cap seems important enough a thing to know, or have interest in.

bornadog
10-07-2017, 10:05 PM
So if we took Trav Cloke on his $600,000 salary at Collingwood you would've been fine?
Taking on Suckling at $600,000 maybe, would've been fine?

To make an informed decision about the worth of a contract, one needs to understands numbers right? By this line of thinking paying him $1,000,000 and celebrate in his re-signing. Knowing the dollar cost of a long contract in an environment of limited salary cap seems important enough a thing to know, or have interest in.

The club is not that stupid, and it is not my problem. They can manage the salary cap and dish out what they feel each player is worth. Once it is all done, then I have don't have an issue.

The media are the ones banging on about guys like Tom Boyd and it just gets tiresome.

If you enjoy playing with the dollars, then have fun. :D

bulldogtragic
10-07-2017, 10:07 PM
The club is not that stupid, and it is not my problem. They can manage the salary cap and dish out what they feel each player is worth. Once it is all done, then I have don't have an issue.

The media are the ones banging on about guys like Tom Boyd and it just gets tiresome.

After I win Oz Lotto, I will. But I thought you were our resident numbers man? :D

ledge
10-07-2017, 10:44 PM

And look what its done to Tom Boyd . We the public should have no knowledge of what players earn or are speculated to earn we are fans of the game not the wage they earn or their private lives.
Let the clubs do the wheeling and dealing in private, all we need to know is who we have on our list and how to win a flag with it .
I'm totally against invading people's lives. Back in the Lou Richards writing days they talked about the game and kept it at that. That's our business and it's all it should be.
Media is a disgrace nowadays in their reporting and player spying and speculation , just report what's true. Not make up rubbish. They are reporters not the story makers. It's become about them and who can speculate the best.

Ozza
10-07-2017, 10:56 PM
In a sport where there is a salary cap, and a clubs ability to bring in players from other clubs is impacted by how much they are paying current players - then of course it has to be a talking point. It is a professional sport - and in every professional sport in the world, like it or not - players contracts become public. If anything, the wages of AFL players are less public than most other sports and it is only really the notable contracts that get made public.

By notable - I mean like when a player moves clubs, or when a player drags out their contract talks with their existing club.

In an ideal world for the footballers - their salaries wouldn't be made public. But this is the reality of professional sport.

Twodogs
10-07-2017, 11:28 PM
If it's $650K per year, Barrett won't be speculating about anything. That's a fair price and I'd imagine it's unders compared to what his manager was hoping to squeeze out of the market.

I wonder if his manager is still on board?

Well said ledge. According to the meeja the bad news is JJ wasn't going to sign and then, when he does sign, it's even worse news!

Yep. Jake must be going.

KT31
10-07-2017, 11:44 PM
Great news, now he might start concentrating on football.

Twodogs
11-07-2017, 12:00 AM
Great news, now he might start concentrating on football.

It'd be nice if his teamates stuck their bibs in from time to time and knocked the next *!*!*!*! who gets in JJ's face into the middle of next *!*!*!*!ing week.

jeemak
11-07-2017, 01:23 AM
As a paying member of our club I'm glad when responsible media tells me how it is spending the money I and my fellow members are contributing.

It's dreadfully important to me that I understand that my club is not pissing money up against the wall on players they shouldn't, or doing the opposite with others who deserve to be treated well.

The key for lay folk like us is to find trusted media and sources of information and trust them, and shun not-trusted media. I don't get pissed off about how our players are portrayed in the media (apart from live calls - I go apeshit over those) and pay attention to trusted sources, like what we get here.

As an aside, the players sign a playing and social contract when they sign up with us. They can't have the privilege of being an AFL footballer without accepting the shortfalls. The latter and its issues are clearly defined, they sign up to the associated pain.

1eyedog
11-07-2017, 02:19 AM
Excellent, excellent news. Very relieved. I wonder how much the downturn in form contributed to the re-signing and whether suitors cooled because of it.

I'm sure I have no idea what you're on about J, or maybe I do? It's hard to say.

jeemak
11-07-2017, 02:24 AM
Me J? Or JJ?

ledge
11-07-2017, 05:04 AM
In a sport where there is a salary cap, and a clubs ability to bring in players from other clubs is impacted by how much they are paying current players - then of course it has to be a talking point. It is a professional sport - and in every professional sport in the world, like it or not - players contracts become public. If anything, the wages of AFL players are less public than most other sports and it is only really the notable contracts that get made public.

By notable - I mean like when a player moves clubs, or when a player drags out their contract talks with their existing club.

In an ideal world for the footballers - their salaries wouldn't be made public. But this is the reality of professional sport.

i believe the new EBA encompasses players wages being made public. Apparently BB in the USA has this clause.
I am totally against it due to the criminal world knowing who they could target and the pressures that come with it. Eg The gutter media (Barrett) causing mental issues to young guns. I don't care how much money your paid it doesn't compensate or fix it.

Twodogs
11-07-2017, 06:46 AM
i believe the new EBA encompasses players wages being made public. Apparently BB in the USA has this clause.
I am totally against it due to the criminal world knowing who they could target and the pressures that come with it. Eg The gutter media (Barrett) causing mental issues to young guns. I don't care how much money your paid it doesn't compensate or fix it.

People already know AFL players get a fair whack. I don't think publishing how much they get exposes them to any more chance of being robbed.

I don't want to know because it's none of my business how much a player earns and its incredibly crass taking about how much money people make.

azabob
11-07-2017, 08:07 AM
It'd be nice if his teamates stuck their bibs in from time to time and knocked the next *!*!*!*! who gets in JJ's face into the middle of next *!*!*!*!ing week.

Isn't this why Easton Wood is suspended this week?

Mantis
11-07-2017, 12:30 PM
Good news.

As pointed out he's a unique player and vital to our on-going success.. Going through a difficult period, but he will come out the other side and be better for the experience.

ledge
11-07-2017, 03:55 PM
I would just like to point out that he has shown true loyalty , a five year deal at the age of 24? Means he didn't want to go anywhere and appreciated the time and money spent on him and showing faith in him being a rookie.
Remember Wood and him have been on the list a while before they came good. The club should be congratulated on seeing the talent and being patient to reap the rewards and both players recognise this too.

Ozza
11-07-2017, 04:02 PM
Yep. JJ is a Bulldog for life. Let's get right behind him.

LostDoggy
11-07-2017, 11:27 PM
The JJ deal seemed to be precarious for as long time. A short time ago it was announced that Chris Grant was getting involved and voila a 5 year deal. What a champion Bulldog Chris Grant has been.

1eyedog
13-07-2017, 11:30 AM
Needs to come to the party again though, plenty of very good players out there would be happy to come for 650k a year over five years.

Twodogs
13-07-2017, 01:12 PM
The JJ deal seemed to be precarious for as long time. A short time ago it was announced that Chris Grant was getting involved and voila a 5 year deal. What a champion Bulldog Chris Grant has been.

Chris is a true bulldog chanpion, we are lucky to have him. Praise be to Chooka Merrington and pick 105 at the 1989 ND.

I wonder if he is too old to pull on the jumper again? Chris, that is, not Chooka, although Chooka wasn't a bad fullback back in the days of Hudson*and McKenna and Wade. We could do with a player like Chris Grant a sort of combination of Marcus Adams with Bob Murphy's footskills and Easton Wood's leadership and courage, let's face it every team in the history of the game could have found a spot for Chris Grant.

*was it Gary Merrington who took on Peter Hudson and was running the ball out of defense one day at Whitten oval. He tried to take a bounce anbounced back over his head into he arms of the trailing Huddo who then turned around and kicked a goal?

Bulldog Joe
13-07-2017, 03:00 PM
Chris is a true bulldog chanpion, we are lucky to have him. Praise be to Chooka Merrington and pick 105 at the 1989 ND.

I wonder if he is too old to pull on the jumper again? Chris, that is, not Chooka, although Chooka wasn't a bad fullback back in the days of Hudson*and McKenna and Wade. We could do with a player like Chris Grant a sort of combination of Marcus Adams with Bob Murphy's footskills and Easton Wood's leadership and courage, let's face it every team in the history of the game could have found a spot for Chris Grant.

*was it Gary Merrington who took on Peter Hudson and was running the ball out of defense one day at Whitten oval. He tried to take a bounce anbounced back over his head into he arms of the trailing Huddo who then turned around and kicked a goal?

That was Peter Welsh.

Twodogs
13-07-2017, 05:23 PM
That was Peter Welsh.

Cheers BJ. It was bloody funny I remember that.

Doc26
13-07-2017, 06:45 PM
Needs to come to the party again though, plenty of very good players out there would be happy to come for 650k a year over five years.

Needed a 'pick me up' last night and threw on (again) the prelim against GWS. A great antidote but more than this a great reminder of how damaging and valuable to us JJ is when he has his mojo. Forgot how good some of his pin point passing can be.

Scraggers
26-07-2017, 03:13 PM
LINK (https://thewest.com.au/sport/western-bulldogs-speedster-jason-johannisen-never-gave-serious-thought-to-returning-to-wa-ng-b88548612z)

Good article about JJ re-signing.