PDA

View Full Version : From the Past - Carlton

bornadog
14-07-2017, 01:57 PM
We have had some good memories playing Carlton as well as some shockers.

Anyone remember this game. It ended up in a draw and got us in the top 5 for a finals birth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6J_QLKp6uE

What are some favourite clashes with Carlton.

bornadog
14-07-2017, 02:11 PM
25 years later… (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-07-14/25-years-later)

Danny De-Re snagged four goals in the win over Carlton back in Round 7, 1992.
The Western Bulldogs will face Carlton at the MCG for the first time in 10 years on Sunday and it is fitting that they will be doing so, as 2017 marks 25 years since the two sides first met for premiership points on the hallowed turf at Yarra Park.

Going into the clash in Round 7, 1992, the Bulldogs headed the ladder with four wins, but the Blues, third, also had four wins to their name and, boasting a star-studded line-up that included names such as Stephen Kernaghan, Craig Bradley, Greg Williams, Justin Madden and Stephen Silvagni.

The Dogs were building a formidable side of their own under coach Terry Wheeler, with players such as Doug Hawkins, Chris Grant and Simon Atkins very much at their peak and 22-year-old ruckman Scott Wynd on his way to the 1992 Brownlow Medal.

Footscray started the match strongly and a five goal to two opening quarter saw the Dogs ahead by 21 points at the first break, but Carlton fought back strongly in the second term, narrowing the gap to just eight points at the long break.

It was in the 'premiership' third quarter that the Bulldogs stamped their authority on the match. With Wynd and centre-half back Peter Foster, controlling the air in defence, Footscray held the Blues to a solitary goal, while adding 5.9 to blow the margin out to 40 points at the last change, one which could have been much greater but for inaccuracy in front of goal.

Footscray went on with the job in the final quarter, adding five goals to three to finish 56 points clear and maintain top place on the ladder. The Dogs had winners all over the ground, with small forward Steve Kolyniuk playing a starring role, kicking 6.4 in his 49th match.

Danny De-Re also snagged four, while 'engine room' players Simon Atkins and Steve 'Super' MacPherson set up many attacking forays, each collecting 28 touches. A couple of other still-familiar surnames also stood out, with Mitch Wallis's father Steve having 28 possessions and Tom Liberatore's dad Tony picking up 18, each of them kicking a goal.

Footscray's 56-point final margin was the club's second-highest on record against Carlton at the time, and the win established the team's bona fides as a contender in 1992, coming against quality opposition. The Dogs spent the rest of the season engaging with the Cats in a battle for top spot, Geelong eventually claiming the minor premiership on percentage.

The Cats proved to be Footscray's nemesis in the finals, ending the Dogs' premiership campaign in the preliminary final, but the 1992 season established beyond doubt that the Bulldogs were an integral part of the League, having staved off extinction only three year earlier.

With names such as Grant, Atkins, Wynd and Wallis - along with Rohan Smith (playing his first senior season) and Scott West (named as emergency several times that season before debuting in 1993) - on board, the Bulldogs' 1992 season set the club up for a sustained period of unprecedented competitiveness and success that continues to this day.

Twodogs
14-07-2017, 04:44 PM
The home game in 1983 was a classic. Jim Edmond kicked a bag on Curly Austin which was a fair effort. Round one 1985 was the first time I can remember beating Carlton at Princes Park, I can still see a Carlton player fumble the ball in a tackle and Neil Cordy scooping it up and kicking the first goal of the season.

bornadog
14-07-2017, 04:46 PM
The home game in 1983 was a classic. Jim Edmond kicked a bag on Curly Austin which was a fair effort. Round one 1985 was the first time I can remember beating Carlton at Princes Park, I can still see a Carlton player fumble the ball in a tackle and Neil Cordy scooping it up and kicking the first goal of the season.

Yep the start of a very good year, and should have gone all the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFHZvqIR1Bs

bornadog
14-07-2017, 04:51 PM
Of course we can't forget John Georgiades effort at Princes Park in round 1 1989, kicking 8, the third highest for a debutant ever.

bornadog
14-07-2017, 05:14 PM
Sorry for all the posts, but Carlton is one of my most hated clubs and I like watching the old games where we smashed them.

Here is another good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkyZVlr_uZE

bornadog
14-07-2017, 05:25 PM
On a very cold and miserable day at the Western Oval, Carlton failed completely to adapt to the slippery conditions. With one minute to go, the Blues were on 0-10 (10) and a last-minute goal from a free kick, averted only the second goalless VFL/AFL score in seventy years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXow_agQDEM

Twodogs
14-07-2017, 05:26 PM
Sorry for all the posts, but Carlton is one of my most hated clubs and I like watching the old games where we smashed them.

Here is another good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkyZVlr_uZE

I love watching the Pieman. How good was it when he was 'on' and everytime the ball went into the forward line you'd think "where's Beazer?"

bornadog
14-07-2017, 05:30 PM
I love watching the Pieman. How good was it when he was 'on' and everytime the ball went into the forward line you'd think "where's Beazer?"

I was so excited getting the Pieman and having KT at CHF for many years to come - sadly it didn't happen.

Twodogs
14-07-2017, 05:33 PM
I was so excited getting the Pieman and having KT at CHF for many years to come - sadly it didn't happen.

Then we thought we'd found a replacement when we signed Steven Hargrave from WA but then he did his knee in his first preseason.

Remi Moses
14-07-2017, 08:04 PM
We've only played them once a year for the last 15 years .
Shocking loss our last game against them at the G in 07 .

Eastdog
14-07-2017, 08:18 PM
Great stuff BAD. Being born in the late 80s it's great to get some insight into our history against them in and around that time.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-07-2017, 08:23 PM
On a very cold and miserable day at the Western Oval, Carlton failed completely to adapt to the slippery conditions. With one minute to go, the Blues were on 0-10 (10) and a last-minute goal from a free kick, averted only the second goalless VFL/AFL score in seventy years.

It was Mark Arceri from memory who kicked their lone goal.

Eastdog
14-07-2017, 08:29 PM
8.9.57 to 1.10.16

Looking it up there was 16,000 odd at Western Oval that day on a Sunday afternoon.

Remi Moses
14-07-2017, 08:34 PM
Carlton goal to Arceri was a charity free . Great seeing that old crim Elliott in the Whitten stand watching caaaarlton get creamed

bornadog
14-07-2017, 08:48 PM
8.9.57 to 1.10.16

Looking it up there was 16,000 odd at Western Oval that day on a Sunday afternoon.

It was pouring rain, so not many there - I was there :)

Eastdog
14-07-2017, 09:01 PM

The old school style. Love it! So was there reserved seating in the Whitten Stand. A few weeks back at the VFL was great sitting up there and I was thinking it was a cold Saturday afternoon that's what it was like back then.

Twodogs
14-07-2017, 09:09 PM

One of the few games of the 70s/80s/90s era that I missed. I don't know where I was but I must have been in a ad state if I missed the footy especially a game at Whitten oval.

The old school style. Love it! So was there reserved seating in the Whitten Stand. A few weeks back at the VFL was great sitting up there and I was thinking it was a cold Saturday afternoon that's what it was like back then.

There were two grandstands and a seating area that wasn't very big in front of one of them. It really was mostly standing room at Whitten oval. And the Can Bar.

Eastdog
14-07-2017, 09:13 PM
One of the few games of the 70s/80s/90s era that I missed. I don't know where I was but I must have been in a ad state if I missed the footy especially a game at Whitten oval.

There were two grandstands and a seating area that wasn't very big in front of one of them. It really was mostly standing room at Whitten oval. And the Can Bar.

The John Gent Stand the other one I believe. Yeah the old suburban grounds a lot I think did mainly just have standing room.

Twodogs
14-07-2017, 11:04 PM
The John Gent Stand the other one I believe. Yeah the old suburban grounds a lot I think did mainly just have standing room.

There was the John Gent stand p, the EJ Whitten stand on one side of the ground and on the other side was the rather grandiosely named EJ Smith stand given that it wasn't a grandstand and you couldn't sit in it. Well you could of you wanted to but you wouldn't have seen much of the game.

The Doctor
14-07-2017, 11:45 PM

Anyone remember this game. It ended up in a draw and got us in the top 5 for a finals birth.

I was there. My first ever VFL game.What an exciting match it was with Quinlan on fire, Templeton, Dempsey, Stoneham et al
That was a bloody good team in the making.

Twodogs
15-07-2017, 12:21 AM
I was there. My first ever VFL game.What an exciting match it was with Quinlan on fire, Templeton, Dempsey, Stoneham et al
That was a bloody good team in the making.

It's a shame we never gave it the chance to get fully made, there was quality coming onto our list at a rate of knots but we couldn't get rid of it fast enough. All those future Brownlow medalists, all those past Brownlow medalists, all those future champions and B&Fs and grand finalists and premiership players big Vee wearers who all went to other clubs. What a crying shame.

jeemak
15-07-2017, 12:39 AM
In 1992 we did the Blues at the G, then went to Princess Park and they did us by 83 pts and there was a massive blue as well.

For Christmas that year I got the Diamond Dogs video, and my Bro got the Gathering Storm video. Because he was older I had to watch the latter way too many times!

merantau
15-07-2017, 04:30 AM

1976?

GVGjr
15-07-2017, 07:27 AM
8.9.57 to 1.10.16

I don't there was that many. I think a lot of crowd numbers were just guessed.
Poring rain, cold and a dreadful game I remember being looking to leave the game at 3 quarter time but I just had to stay to see if we could keep them goaless. For Arceri to be given a soft free kick given the conditions and then kick the heavy ball for a good goal all things considered it confirmed to me at the time that many wishes were not being answered.

The best part of it was the jam doughnut on the way to the car :)

GVGjr
15-07-2017, 07:33 AM
Does anyone remember the game against Carlton at Princess Park where Scott Wynd got injured early and Barry Standfield had to ruck for the balance of the game? Standfield was BOG and put in a very determined effort getting us home for a win.

Twodogs
15-07-2017, 09:03 AM
Does anyone remember the game against Carlton at Princess Park where Scott Wynd got injured early and Barry Standfield had to ruck for the balance of the game? Standfield was BOG and put in a very determined effort getting us home for a win.

Sure do. Got there a bit late, missed the bounce and Scot Wynd is laying in the centre circle twitching from the contact. I will never forget it. I thought Scott was dead.

The Doctor
15-07-2017, 02:22 PM
It's a shame we never gave it the chance to get fully made, there was quality coming onto our list at a rate of knots but we couldn't get rid of it fast enough. All those future Brownlow medalists, all those past Brownlow medalists, all those future champions and B&Fs and grand finalists and premiership players big Vee wearers who all went to other clubs. What a crying shame.

I reckon our line up for the 1976 final round game against Carlton would have looked something like this

B: Wheeler, Sandilands, Hampshire
HB: Salmon, Welsh, Power
C: Jennings, Stoneham, Abbey
HF: Newland, Quinlan, Dunstan
F: Morrison, Templeton, Low
R: Dempsey, Featherby, Huppatz
19th: Kelly
20th: Blair

I'm quite hazy on a few of the positions. I distinctly remember Bluey Hampshire playing BP on the resting ruckman and continually and illegally impeding Mike Fitzpatrick when he was making a lead. Quinlan went berserk in the first half. Might have kicked 5 to half time from CHF. Templeton vs Southby, the young Kelvin kicked 3. He got 82 I think for the year. Featherby and Dunstan kicked 3 each.

We got out to a 33 point lead from memory deep into the 3rd. We had to draw to make the finals. Carlton were on top of the ladder. We got the draw in a crazy finish with the Blues peppering the goals late in the final 1/4 including 1 or 2 posters.

Missing that day were; Ted Whitten Jnr, Dennis Collins, Richard Murrie, Jeff Gieshen and Ross Gallagher, John Reid, Alby Smedts

I loved that side and hated our admin for clearing most of them. That team had the potential to get us back to the top. Quinlan & Templeton in the key forward positions and still young & Dempsey in the ruck FFS

The bulldog tragician
15-07-2017, 03:39 PM
What about Bob's first game at Princes Park? We were rank underdogs with a host of injuries, and it was the upset of the season..until we played the undefeated Bombres the following week...mmm...how did that end up again??

Maybe you have to be a certain age to appreciate just how good it used to be to defeat Carlton. With their blue blood supporters and arrogance, always buying themselves premierships and a host of presidents who could have ended up in jail...I'm getting fired up just thinking about it!

Twodogs
15-07-2017, 03:45 PM
Theres the team with some bonus match stats from AFL tables.

Footscray Match Statistics [Season][Game by Game]
# Player KI MK HB DI GL BH HO TK RB IF CL CG FF FA BR CP UP CM MI 1% BO GA %P
30 Abbey, Ross 10 4 3 13 2 1
16 Blair, Dennis 1 1 1
24 Dempsey, Gary 12 6 5 17 8 4 1
32 Dunstan, Ian 19 9 8 27 3 2 2
5 Featherby, Peter 22 5 6 28 3 2 3 1
1 Hampshire, Ian 8 7 4 12 8 3 3
7 Huppatz, Ray 22 7 1 23 1 3
25 Jennings, Geoff 12 2 12 24 3
11 Kelly, Mick 1 1
28 Low, Ian 13 4 3 16 1 1 4
8 Morrison, Ian 7 3 7 1 4 2 1
6 Newland, Ken 5 2 4 9 1 1
21 Power, Stephen 9 1 1 10 2
2 Quinlan, Bernie 10 5 2 12 3 2 1 2 2
18 Salmon, Ian 8 4 2 10 1 2 3
9 Sandilands, Laurie 15 5 15 2
3 Stoneham, Alan 19 3 12 31 1 1
31 Templeton, Kelvin 5 2 5 3 1 1 1
4 Welsh, Peter 10 6 6 16 2 1
35 Wheeler, Terry 6 3 3 9 2 4
Rushed 2

You're correct it was a mighty team. It's like the three teams that came in finally caught a few breaks in the early to mid 70s with an influx of quality players coming to each club. North won a couple of flags and made 5 consecutive Grand Finals.

Hawthorn parlayed there bit of luck from a a few premierships into an empire into a Monolithic machine.

We pissed our chance against the wall. We made 2 Elimanation Finals. Wowee.

Eastdog
15-07-2017, 03:52 PM
It would of been great to have been around to watch guys like Doug Hawkins in their prime, KT kicking bags of goals, watching Beaser in the 80s but it's great to hear from woofers reminiscing about it all good and bad times.

Twodogs
15-07-2017, 04:00 PM
What about Bob's first game at Princes Park? We were rank underdogs with a host of injuries, and it was the upset of the season..until we played the undefeated Bombres the following week...mmm...how did that end up again??

Maybe you have to be a certain age to appreciate just how good it used to be to defeat Carlton. With their blue blood supporters and arrogance, always buying themselves premierships and a host of presidents who could have ended up in jail...I'm getting fired up just thinking about it!

My favourite Home and Away game of all time. It felt even better than breaking Essendon's a fortnight later because we rained on the parade that was supposed to take place the week after between the unbeaten Essendon and Carlton who hadn't lost for fourteen weeks (just as soon as they'd knocked us over).

merantau
15-07-2017, 05:50 PM
Carlton goal to Arceri was a charity free . Great seeing that old crim Elliott in the Whitten stand watching caaaarlton get creamed

Absolute charity. I was standing at the Geelong Rd end so had a very clear view. Freezing cold day, lots of icy rain and a driving wind from down south off the Ross Ice Shelf. I miss those days. You really felt alive in those conditions. It was sort of affirming to be experincing similar conditions to the players.

bornadog
15-07-2017, 05:57 PM

Wallet used the super flood that day to win that one. It was a great day. I walked into work where most of the senior managers were Carlton supporters, and they were all still seething over the loss. They said we were cheats for flooding so much. :D

The bulldog tragician
15-07-2017, 06:07 PM
Wallet used the super flood that day to win that one. It was a great day. I walked into work where most of the senior managers were Carlton supporters, and they were all still seething over the loss. They said we were cheats for flooding so much. :D

Even better!!!

Twodogs
15-07-2017, 06:50 PM
I have a photo of Bubba Smith and Trent Barlett walking off the ground after that game. Bubba is kissing the bulldog on his jumper and the Carlton supporters are going off tap at them. I love that picture.

W W Biscuit
16-07-2017, 12:00 AM
Going strictly from memory here - but one of my favourites was, I think, Round 5, 1990, ANZAC Day at Princes Park. We were emerging as a decent team, after a disastrous 1989 and the near-merger. We had some hot young talent already debuted that year - including Leon Cameron and Chris Grant. I can't remember if Cameron played that day, but I can certainly recall Granty. I have vivid memories of the ball being bombed into our forward line, and the great man turning two Carlton defenders inside out before casually slotting a major. One of them was David Rhys-Jones, I think. I went ballistic and we all thought, "Yep, we've found ourselves a player here."

bornadog
16-07-2017, 12:10 AM
Going strictly from memory here - but one of my favourites was, I think, Round 5, 1990, ANZAC Day at Princes Park. We were emerging as a decent team, after a disastrous 1989 and the near-merger. We had some hot young talent already debuted that year - including Leon Cameron and Chris Grant. I can't remember if Cameron played that day, but I can certainly recall Granty. I have vivid memories of the ball being bombed into our forward line, and the great man turning two Carlton defenders inside out before casually slotting a major. One of them was David Rhys-Jones, I think. I went ballistic and we all thought, "Yep, we've found ourselves a player here."

I remember that day very well, great day watching Grant.

GVGjr
16-07-2017, 07:33 AM
I can recall a game at PP where a young Chris Grant was being roughed up by David Rhys-Jones. Glenn 'Galaxy' Coleman wasn't going to let that happen and kept coming closer to goal to make sure Rhys-Jones got shoved and bumped into.

Bulldog4life
16-07-2017, 11:04 AM

That is my favourite CARTON game BAD. Freezing cold but it was worth it. Standing on the Douggie Hawkins wing. I still reckon that wasn't a free at the end against Super even though it was on the other side of the ground.:) God I still remember how cold those beers felt in my hand even today.

The bulldog tragician
16-07-2017, 12:53 PM
I can recall a game at PP where a young Chris Grant was being roughed up by David Rhys-Jones. Glenn 'Galaxy' Coleman wasn't going to let that happen and kept coming closer to goal to make sure Rhys-Jones got shoved and bumped into.

I've heard a story along the lines that Rhys Jones attacked Granty at the first bounce, snarling threats and insults and promising broken bones and Chris just smiled is country boy smile and said: Yeah, they told me you'd say things like that to me - and was not ruffled at all.

Twodogs
16-07-2017, 12:55 PM
I wasn't there on the day but a friend once told me she was so wasted that she rolled into a ball and fell asleep at the foot of the advertising hoardings at the Barkly St end at that game.

Twodogs
16-07-2017, 01:04 PM
I've heard a story along the lines that Rhys Jones attacked Granty at the first bounce, snarling threats and insults and promising broken bones and Chris just smiled is country boy smile and said: Yeah, they told me you'd say things like that to me - and was not ruffled at all.

Chris could arc up. He wasn't all sweetness and light and soft edges. It took a bit but if you poked his bear he could be an angry man with a lot of sharp edges. I was watching a game once and my dad said "quick Chris Grant right elbow" and I just saw the impact. It wasn't an elbow (he would never be so crude) it was the point of the shoulder and it split its target right down the middle. Deposited him in the middle of next week, I can't remember who it was he hit but it was up in Sydney and whoever it was had hit one of our guys earlier.

merantau
16-07-2017, 08:14 PM
That is my favourite CARTON game BAD. Freezing cold but it was worth it. Standing on the Douggie Hawkins wing. I still reckon that wasn't a free at the end against Super even though it was on the other side of the ground.:) God I still remember how cold those beers felt in my hand even today.

I loved footy in those days. Some of the best contests ever were played in atrocious conditions. Remember how Libber launched his career after getting a run in the wet? He just loved the wet.

Bulldog4life
16-07-2017, 08:57 PM
I loved footy in those days. Some of the best contests ever were played in atrocious conditions. Remember how Libber launched his career after getting a run in the wet? He just loved the wet.

Yes he tells the story the more it rained on the day of the game the happier he would be.

Ozza
17-07-2017, 03:12 PM
Definitely remember the 'one team, one goal' game v Carlton in '91. Sitting in the Whitten Stand as an 8 year old. I remember it as being Chris Grant's first game back after he'd missed 6-7 weeks with glandular fever I think - and he kicked 3 goals and handled the ball in the wet as easily as the Hawk.