PDA

View Full Version : Hargrave's future?

Dry Rot
14-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Will Hargrave fit into a backline of Morris Harris Gilbee Everitt Williams and Callan/McDougall/Griffin/Addison?

If not, does he have the smarts to play in the HF line?

Sockeye Salmon
14-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Most of the time we play with a 7 man backline anyway.

Hargrave can play tall(ish) or small, kicks well, can attack or defend. Not having to play on guys 2 inches and 10kg's bigger than him will help.

They'll be a spot for him.

westdog54
14-01-2008, 04:51 PM
The beauty of having Hargrave/Everitt/Griffen/McDougall in the same team is the versatility aspect, you could move Hargrave/Everitt to the wing, Griffen into the midfield, Doogs into the forward line depending on the match-up (he couldn't be your key forward), Callan and Addison may play tagging roles, long story short, there will be room for everyone somewhere depending on the match-ups

hujsh
14-01-2008, 05:55 PM
The beauty of having Hargrave/Everitt/Griffen/McDougall in the same team is the versatility aspect, you could move Hargrave/Everitt to the wing, Griffen into the midfield, Doogs into the forward line depending on the match-up (he couldn't be your key forward), Callan and Addison may play tagging roles, long story short, there will be room for everyone somewhere depending on the match-ups

Exactly. We can't just have 6-7 backmen that must play in that spot, we need to get the right match-ups and right balance of tall/short and attacking/defensive

LostDoggy
14-01-2008, 05:56 PM
As far as I am concerned Hargrave replaces McMahon as the attacking and running defender. He is very much in our best 18 players so is under no risk to hold a spot.

LostDoggy
14-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Will Hargrave fit into a backline of Morris Harris Gilbee Everitt Williams and Callan/McDougall/Griffin/Addison?

If not, does he have the smarts to play in the HF line?

I think he can play as a forward but he might not be as effective. His strengths are his quickness, long kicking, reading the play and ability to work off his opponent. He might need to be trained how to play as a forward. I know Campbell is the forward coach but I do think we miss not having a genuine key forward in that position to teach the players. If I was Campbell I would be keen to get him as a forward but I guess Dean would want him as well.

LostDoggy
15-01-2008, 01:05 PM
Most of the time we play with a 7 man backline anyway.Hargrave can play tall(ish) or small, kicks well, can attack or defend. Not having to play on guys 2 inches and 10kg's bigger than him will help.

They'll be a spot for him.

Asking for trouble playing a 7 man backline. Im a big fan of the John Worsfold 'one on one' no matter what style.

Sockeye Salmon
15-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Asking for trouble playing a 7 man backline. Im a big fan of the John Worsfold 'one on one' no matter what style.

Welcome to 1978.

Even West Coast have 15 blokes in the defensive 50 when they need to.

mjp
15-01-2008, 04:08 PM

Go and watch the tape of the 2006 Grand Final.

LostDoggy
15-01-2008, 05:44 PM
I'd like Shaggy to play further up the field on the wing. He has the build for a wingman as well as some extra height thrown in which would give him an advantage overhead.
He could also assist in the forward line or back line when required.
He is one of the guys who doesnt mind the rough stuff and I reckon Rocket doesnt mind that, so I cant see him not having a spot.

LostDoggy
15-01-2008, 07:17 PM
I'd like Shaggy to play further up the field on the wing. He has the build for a wingman as well as some extra height thrown in which would give him an advantage overhead.
He is one of the guys who doesnt mind the rough stuff and I reckon Rocket doesnt mind that, so I cant see him not having a spot.
It has to be worth considering, He has plenty of pace and is a long kick so the ball will get to the forwards quickly which cannot be a bad thing.

LostDoggy
15-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Welcome to 1978.

Even West Coast have 15 blokes in the defensive 50 when they need to.

Exactly. You just backed up my point. Worsfold doesnt let players run free. Everyone is man on man. If you start dropping loose players into backlines then the opposition will do it to you. The ball will rebound to easily. It all about pressure!

LostDoggy
15-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Go and watch the tape of the 2006 Grand Final.

My point exactly. Man on man footy

hujsh
15-01-2008, 11:07 PM

Do you believe we have the individuals capable of this?

LostDoggy
15-01-2008, 11:49 PM
Do you believe we have the individuals capable of this?

Of course. Comes down to the coach and the game plan

GVGjr
16-01-2008, 08:19 AM
Exactly. You just backed up my point. Worsfold doesnt let players run free. Everyone is man on man. If you start dropping loose players into backlines then the opposition will do it to you. The ball will rebound to easily. It all about pressure!

I don't think I quite get this. You say Worsfold is a man on man coach and yet you also say if you start dropping players back then he will do the same to you. Do you mean he will send a player forward which negates the loose man?

Slightly off the subject, the thing I like about West Coast is the amount of tough and hard players they have in the team without losing the run. Guys like Hurn have been introduced and haven't missed a beat.

LostDoggy
16-01-2008, 10:14 AM
I don't think I quite get this. You say Worsfold is a man on man coach and yet you also say if you start dropping players back then he will do the same to you. Do you mean he will send a player forward which negates the loose man?

Slightly off the subject, the thing I like about West Coast is the amount of tough and hard players they have in the team without losing the run. Guys like Hurn have been introduced and haven't missed a beat.

Worsfold always plays man on man. If the opposition put 14 players in defence, they would all have a direct opponent.

When i said the opposition would drop a player in the backline, i wasnt referring to Worsfold. More like every other coach.

And yes, guys like Hurn, Waters, Selwood etc play tough and hard. Woodhouse is a very good recruiter. The West Coast always seem to be able to get muscle on kids quickly.

Bulldog Revolution
16-01-2008, 01:24 PM

Thats the thing about WC that is so impressive, considering all their injuries in the finals this year their group performed very, very well, and guys like Hurn, Rosa, Priddis, BJones, Waters, Lecras etc just continue to step up

They have it all over us in spades in toughness and hard running - and thats not a comment that pleases me.

GVGjr
16-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Thats the thing about WC that is so impressive, considering all their injuries in the finals this year their group performed very, very well, and guys like Hurn, Rosa, Priddis, BJones, Waters, Lecras etc just continue to step up

They have it all over us in spades in toughness and hard running - and thats not a comment that pleases me.

Add to that the recruitment of Masten and Ebert and they have added another two hard at it types.

LostDoggy
16-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Plus they have Sam Butler returning from long term injury. That kid can play

Dogs 24/7
16-01-2008, 08:02 PM

I would give it a go.Give him a few opportunities at least.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-01-2008, 08:24 PM
His spot is in no danger, IMO.

Tall, quick, kicks well - esp. for goal & can play all over the ground. He can play a negating role on both bigger/smaller types whilst also being capable of runing the lines and kicking long.

He's not the best player on our list, but he's handy. If he could play as a wingman or at the least as the third tall in defence, he'd be a better player. He's always had to battle above his weight, against Lloyd/Lucas etc.

LostDoggy
16-01-2008, 09:50 PM
His spot is in no danger, IMO.

Tall, quick, kicks well - esp. for goal & can play all over the ground. He can play a negating role on both bigger/smaller types whilst also being capable of runing the lines and kicking long.

He's not the best player on our list, but he's handy. If he could play as a wingman or at the least as the third tall in defence, he'd be a better player. He's always had to battle above his weight, against Lloyd/Lucas etc.

He is a better than average player as far as I can see. I like the way he pushes forward but the real question remains where to play him.