PDA

View Full Version : Who should be Captain for 2018?

bornadog
01-08-2017, 11:04 AM
Whether Bob retires or not (I think he will), who should be captain next year?

Do we stick with Easton Wood or do we look at someone else like the Bont, or even Mitch Wallis?

bulldogtragic
01-08-2017, 11:04 AM
Bonts. Bonts. Bonts.

azabob
01-08-2017, 11:15 AM
Great thread BAD. At the end of last year I was strongly of the view Wood should have been captain for 2017.

As 2017 has progressed it is down to two - Wood or Bontempelli.

The big question is, still realatively young is Bontempelli ready for the top job full time?

bulldogtragic
01-08-2017, 11:21 AM
Great thread BAD. At the end of last year I was strongly of the view Wood should have been captain for 2017.

The big question is, still realatively young is Bontempelli ready for the top job full time?

I think so. Like Wayne Carey, I think the captaincy at a relatively young age will see Bonts raise his game to a new higher level. When we need something special from a player, it's usually him now. I want a captain that wants the captaincy (which he does), and can inspire his team mates to lift again in critical moments. He's the perfect 'lead by example' type, a great media performer, a great club ambassador, a future Brownlow medallist and hopefully upon getting the captaincy signs a 10 year extension deal.

bornadog
01-08-2017, 11:26 AM

I would love to see the Bont as captain, but is it a kick in the guts to the guy who lead us to a premiership?

bulldogtragic
01-08-2017, 11:32 AM
I would love to see the Bont as captain, but is it a kick in the guts to the guy who lead us to a premiership?

No. Easton's brother is a military man. In that sense, you need a lieutenant at the officer rank. But equally important is a Sergeant. We need leaders at all levels and being strong VC and leading the defence unit to someone so far on par with EJ Whitten, isn't disrespectful.

Ozza
01-08-2017, 11:43 AM
I think Wood should be captain again next year, with Bontempelli as his Vice Captain.

Being captain of an AFL club is a big responsibility, it is one that I'm sure the Bont is mature enough to handle - but not something I see any need to rush him into without there being a great need to yet.

Bontempelli has a long time ahead of him in the game, and he is such an important player - that I would prefer to preserve him a bit mentally - in the interests of his longevity. Chances are, with Wood's tendency to get injured - that Bont will step up to be captain several times throughout a season anyway, which helps him to build that experience.

I look at Cotchin and Watson, who were both elevated to Captains at a young age - and both have said that on reflection, they would have been better prepared for it had they been a couple of years older.

Not being Captain right now, isn't going to make Bont stand up any less in the big moments. He already grabs games by the proverbial scruff of the neck anyway. He's only 21, the professionalism, scrutiny and responsibility involved is much greater than when Wayne Carey was a 21 y.o captain (25 years ago). And he has a premiership captain to be an understudy to for at least the next couple of years.

I think the model of Wood captain, Bont VC - with a handover occurring when Wood is still playing - could be a real strength for the future.

LostDoggy
01-08-2017, 12:04 PM
Perfectly put Ozza, Easton Wood without a doubt.

Mofra
01-08-2017, 12:21 PM
Woody, easily.

always right
01-08-2017, 12:29 PM
Another vote for Easton Wood who has proven himself to be a capable and suitable captain.

I understand the push for Bont but I don't agree with some that his game will necessarily be taken to another level with the added responsibility. He's already a leader in our club and I would prefer he continues to concentrate on his game. There is actually the risk that his game could be impacted by the additional responsibility.

I'd be all for his appointment if there was no-one else but that's not the case. Easton Wood is an outstanding and inspirational leader.

Topdog
01-08-2017, 12:35 PM
Easton Wood if he wants it. Bont as vice if he wants it

ratsmac
01-08-2017, 01:01 PM
Wood seems the wise choice. He has showed that the responsibility of the captaincy doesn't weigh him down and in turn effecting his on field performance.

Bont would be the other choice but there is still plenty of time for the champ to take the captaincy when the time is right.

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-08-2017, 01:11 PM

I would stick with Wood who turned out to be an excellent Captain taking over from Murph in our Premiership win. I think it would also boost his onfield performances given the fact that he has been below his best in 2017. The Bont's time will come as he appeals as our future leader for a long time.

AndrewP6
01-08-2017, 03:00 PM
Wood by miles. As good as he is, it's too soon for Bont - he's still 21. Plenty of time for him

westbulldog
01-08-2017, 04:47 PM
Bob if he doesn't retire otherwise Easton Wood the on-field premiership captain.

Danny the snakeman
01-08-2017, 04:55 PM
Our Premiership captain should regain the captaincy.

chef
01-08-2017, 04:57 PM
Easily Wood. Right man for the job.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-08-2017, 05:19 PM
Wood for mine.

LostDoggy
01-08-2017, 05:56 PM
Another vote for Wood, he did a fantastic job last year and deserves another go.

Bonti is still only 21, let's let him work on his game for a few more years and give him the captaincy when he's 25 or so and a duel premiership player.

The Doctor
01-08-2017, 08:00 PM
Easton Wood by the length of the Pacific Highway

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-08-2017, 09:26 PM
Wood for the next stint.
Bont to get the nod down the track on the back of singing a kong term deal.
I'm guessing his agent is going to angle for his moment in the spotlight, so I envisage that being dragged right out in the spotlight of 2019.
We don't need speculation on our captain's future during that time, so Wood til at least then is my preference to lead.

ledge
01-08-2017, 10:05 PM
We have a lot of leaders I believe Wallis would make a good one. He has been a leader all his life.

lemmon
01-08-2017, 10:37 PM
I wanted Wood this year, I want him next year.

He seems to lift his game with the extra responsibility and as good as Bont is, I don't want to overburden him as a 22 year old.

FrediKanoute
01-08-2017, 10:59 PM
Playing devil's advocate here, Bont and Wood are the 2 standouts, but lets say that either of these 2 are unavailable for any reason, who is the next tier of leaders? Who when Wood retires is going to step into the VC/DVC role?

I think this in some ways is what we are really lacking - guys who want to be leaders and who are stepping into leadership roles at the club.

bornadog
01-08-2017, 11:02 PM
Playing devil's advocate here, Bont and Wood are the 2 standouts, but lets say that either of these 2 are unavailable for any reason, who is the next tier of leaders? Who when Wood retires is going to step into the VC/DVC role?

I think this in some ways is what we are really lacking - guys who want to be leaders and who are stepping into leadership roles at the club.

Wallis and Roughead were once seen as possible future captains.

I also think Macrae may be able to step in if needed.

Sedat
01-08-2017, 11:06 PM
Wood is a magnificent leader and would be my choice for 2018

whythelongface
01-08-2017, 11:27 PM
Easton was sensational last year and deserves the gig once Bob retires.

soupman
02-08-2017, 12:57 AM
For me Easton Wood moved into that captain role last year and despite not officially holding the title I still think of him as our main leader even with Bob back. I would therefore like to see him take the title properly.

Bont will get it in time, but there is still no need for him to take the position and seeing as when he gets it it'll be his until retirement then I think there is no rush.

boydogs
02-08-2017, 01:26 AM
Once upon a time I would have said Wood was too injury prone. Not sure now. Bont still young so Wallis would be my next choice

Bullies
02-08-2017, 08:25 AM
Bont for me. Just like North did with Carey. He is a once in a lifetime player. He will lift the team just as Carey did at North.

Some people are born to lead and the Bont seems like he would excel with the responsibility and even go to another level.

Bulldog4life
02-08-2017, 10:07 AM
Maybe we will take a leaf out of Melbourne's book and have joint captaincy. Wood and the Bont. I also wouldn't leave out Wallis in the discussion for captaincy either.

bornadog
02-08-2017, 10:14 AM
Maybe we will take a leaf out of Melbourne's book and have joint captaincy. Wood and the Bont. I also wouldn't leave out Wallis in the discussion for captaincy either.

I really hate the concept of co captains.

Bulldog4life
02-08-2017, 10:17 AM
I really hate the concept of co captains.

The idea with Melbourne's set up is to have one established player in Jones with a young player in Viney. Eventually passing the captaincy to Viney on his own. I don't mind this situation but like you do not like the model Sydney had.

bornadog
02-08-2017, 10:28 AM
The idea with Melbourne's set up is to have one established player in Jones with a young player in Viney. Eventually passing the captaincy to Viney on his own. I don't mind this situation but like you do not like the model Sydney had.

That is why you have a captain and vice captain.

Mantis
02-08-2017, 11:34 AM
Wood fits the mould, but do we add the extra responsibility of captaincy when the focus should be getting back to playing consistently good footy? His performances in 2017 have been seriously underwhelming when compared to previous years, no doubt not help by off-season surgery.

In saying that the Bont is the player we look to when a game needs to be won.. will being captain help or hinder this?

comrade
02-08-2017, 01:54 PM
I'm in the Bont camp, and also think we should elevate Cordy into the leadership group.

bulldogtragic
02-08-2017, 01:59 PM
I'm in the Bont camp, and also think we should elevate Cordy into the leadership group.

Agree all around, and on the Cordy call. Zaine was in the Geelong Falcons leadership group in his senior year, and through that was more exposed to BMac who was spending time with the squad in his down time. BMac rated him as a player, and through dealing with him rated him as a young leader.

We have lots to choose from. When Tom Boyd is ready for it, I reckon he'd be a great person in the leadership group.

Happy Days
02-08-2017, 02:38 PM
I don't really know why we took it off Wood to be honest.

Mantis
02-08-2017, 03:11 PM
I don't really know why we took it off Wood to be honest.

It wasn't his to begin with.. he just took loan of the title.

GVGjr
02-08-2017, 07:42 PM
I think it has to be Wood and Bont can easily wait another season or two.

While Bontempelli is a terrific person and player I hope we resist the temptation of just giving it to the best player on the list and make sure they are the best person for the job.

I still can't believe we had some at the club pushing Cooney for the role a few years back. Thankfully commonsense prevailed.

Smads57
02-08-2017, 07:58 PM
Wood for me

ledge
02-08-2017, 08:20 PM
Murphy hasn't actually retired yet , but if for some reason he did get another year would we keep him as captain?

comrade
02-08-2017, 08:25 PM
I still can't believe we had some at the club pushing Cooney for the role a few years back. Thankfully commonsense prevailed.

Would have been a disaster.

Bullies
02-08-2017, 08:52 PM
Murphy hasn't actually retired yet , but if for some reason he did get another year would we keep him as captain?Cooked and I think Murph knows it