PDA

View Full Version : 3 things you've learned-round 20 v Brisbane.

Twodogs
05-08-2017, 03:04 PM
The best things always come in threes. Tell us the best things you learned today.

GVGjr
05-08-2017, 07:34 PM
3 things :) 3 things specific to today's game

bulldogtragic
05-08-2017, 08:18 PM
1. We haven't lost when playing Lewis Young. 4-0
2. Our good is great. The rest is awful and non competitive. Important 3 weeks and what we decide to bring.
3. We can play two KPFs. Probably not Smith though.

4. According to Durwayne, our streak of 4 wins is the longest streak of any club this year. (Just need to turn 4 into 11)

bornadog
05-08-2017, 10:29 PM
1. We turn it on when we want to.

2. Goal kicking hasn't improved

3. Gabba a bit of a bogey ground no matter how good/bad Lions are.

boydogs
05-08-2017, 10:38 PM
4. According to Durwayne, our streak of 4 wins is the longest streak of any club this year. (Just need to turn 4 into 11)

Think he meant the longest current streak. Adelaide started the year 6-0

Topdog
05-08-2017, 10:39 PM

Yes he said longest current streak.

bulldogtragic
05-08-2017, 10:46 PM

Yes he said longest current streak.

I'd say I should listen more closely to him. But I won't. The few brain cells I have left won't survive it. I almost felt like he was unhappy about us winning, or that was my perception anyhoo.

Topdog
05-08-2017, 11:53 PM
I'd say I should listen more closely to him. But I won't. The few brain cells I have left won't survive it. I almost felt like he was unhappy about us winning, or that was my perception anyhoo.

No he definitely was upset that we won. Didn't even try and hide that

westbulldog
06-08-2017, 12:44 AM
Dwayne officially hates our guts and Lynch thinks Clay Smith is Redpath ffs.
Webb is no good down back, looked lost.
McLean and Macrae are the hardest and most consistent workers in the team week in week out at the moment.

jeemak
06-08-2017, 01:15 AM
You could actually hear the glee in the voices of the commentary team when we stopped playing football for two quarters.

1. Our players have a clear concentration deficiency when shooting for goal. It's mental and not a technique issue in most instances across most players

2. Conserving energy even against the worst teams by and large is an idea fraught with danger irrespective of what is coming up in terms of important games. We clearly didn't work both ways seemingly by design in the middle quarters and it nearly cost us - but we got away with it

3. Jacko and Bont are our most reliable players. Different but the same

merantau
06-08-2017, 09:25 AM
I don't know what is going on with our goal kicking. I only know it's terrible. I know this though. When you are kicking for goal you need a disciplined mind. The state of the game, your last miss, the oppositions sledging - whatever. Nothing should impinge on the act. The simple act of letting the ball drop nice and straight on to ypur instep and then timing your foot to make sweet contact with a powerful follow through. It's a "stay in the moment exercise". The moment you let thoughts like "What if I kick/don't kick this?" enter your head you are diminishing your focus on the task at hand.
Goal kicking is one aspect of the game that has NOT improved.

Topdog
06-08-2017, 10:08 AM
I don't know what is going on with our goal kicking. I only know it's terrible. I know this though. When you are kicking for goal you need a disciplined mind. The state of the game, your last miss, the oppositions sledging - whatever. Nothing should impinge on the act. The simple act of letting the ball drop nice and straight on to ypur instep and then timing your foot to make sweet contact with a powerful follow through. It's a "stay in the moment exercise". The moment you let thoughts like "What if I kick/don't kick this?" enter your head you are diminishing your focus on the task at hand.

It's interesting though that when the game was on the line our goalkicking was pretty spot on.

6.3 in the last

ledge
06-08-2017, 11:03 AM
1 why would you have two ex Brisbane champions in the commentary ( special comments) Lynch and Brown you know what you will get.
2 Zorko is like a pimple on my bum, an annoying little prick.
3.The Bonts kicking for goal is all that stops him being the complete superstar , he won us that game but his misses kept them in the game.

Remi Moses
06-08-2017, 12:28 PM
1. Can we at least get some equilibrium with perhaps Johnno in the box . Bris vegas love inn
2. Bris Vegas are ahead of Carlton ,GC , and Norf in their rebuild .
3. We need to be more consistent in our effort and concentration if we're to play in September.That effort from halfway through the second to 3 quarter time was unacceptable.

Go_Dogs
06-08-2017, 12:57 PM
1. We can play a tall forward line (at times, against certain opponents at curtains grounds?)
2. Our young defenders need some experience to assist them, but are a very capable group who can build into a formidable unit in time
3. If we don't get our structure nearly 100% right, teams with speed will score heavily against us - they don't need to be great football sides, just quick.

Twodogs
06-08-2017, 02:00 PM

I agree it's a mindset but I'd argue the ideal state would be a relaxed mind. The first thing a player should do as part of his routine is take a deep breath, relax and stand nice and still for a second. Just forget about everything else except the ball and himself.

The bulldog tragician
06-08-2017, 08:48 PM
Last year Bont kicked a lot of clutch goals. It's hard to know what's going wrong but with three posters it's at least comforting that he is not spraying wildly ( first shot a very dishonourable exception)

Eastdog
06-08-2017, 08:54 PM
Last year Bont kicked a lot of clutch goals. It's hard to know what's going wrong but with three posters it's at least comforting that he is not spraying wildly ( first shot a very dishonourable exception)

He will get it back very soon starting hopefully this Friday.

ratsmac
07-08-2017, 12:07 AM
1. If Redpath and Bontempelli had of kicked straight I would have longer nails. We left the door ajar and Brisbane almost barged in.
2. We get beaten in contested marking way to often. Brisbane stifled a lot of our offensive thrust by out marking us.
3. Dwayne Russell is the worst commentator ever. And not because he hates us. It's the boring mono toned way he calls the game. I actually look forward to hearing McAvaney.

Mantis
07-08-2017, 10:09 AM
1/ If you give a sucker an even break they take it.
2/ Toby McLean might just be the quickish inside/outside midfielder we have been looking for.
3/ However old Murf looks and plays he is still an important player.

always right
07-08-2017, 10:38 AM
3. If we don't get our structure nearly 100% right, teams with speed will score heavily against us - they don't need to be great football sides, just quick.

This.......it was very noticeable at the ground that Brisbane were so much quicker than us and made a conscious effort to spread the ball wide and then get us out the back.

Hipwood had a mare and may have been the difference between them winning and losing. Thank god for Bont and Macrae.

It was apparent to me that Brisbane could not give a toss about AFL. Forget the official crowd of 16,000...nowhere near it.

Flamethrower
07-08-2017, 01:08 PM
This.......it was very noticeable at the ground that Brisbane were so much quicker than us and made a conscious effort to spread the ball wide and then get us out the back.

Hipwood had a mare and may have been the difference between them winning and losing. Thank god for Bont and Macrae.

It was apparent to me that Brisbane could not give a toss about AFL. Forget the official crowd of 16,000...nowhere near it.

Agree with your last point - South East Queenslanders only care about one team - the Broncos.

The AFL should relocate the Lions to Tasmania (splitting games between Hobart & Launceston) and make the Suns an all Queensland team (eg Queensland Cyclones), playing at the Gabba, Metricon and Cairns.

Twodogs
07-08-2017, 10:38 PM
Agree with your last point - South East Queenslanders only care about one team - the Broncos.

The AFL should relocate the Lions to Tasmania (splitting games between Hobart & Launceston) and make the Suns an all Queensland team (eg Queensland Cyclones), playing at the Gabba, Metricon and Cairns.

Tassie does deserve it's own team. It's great that they get some AFL games but they should have their own team. That's not a bad idea at all.

whythelongface
07-08-2017, 11:02 PM
1. that we can be bloody ordinary at times but somehow remain in flag contention
2. Murf can play on next year should he wish to.
3. The 2014 draft continues to be a very good draft for us.