PDA

View Full Version : Rocket's Contract has been terminated

bornadog
08-08-2017, 10:17 AM
Most likely he won't coach for the rest of the season, but not confirmed

bulldogtragic
08-08-2017, 10:34 AM
Most likely he won't coach for the rest of the week, but not confirmed

The joint is a rabble. Hopefully lots of good players want to exit too, and nominate us.

Hopefully to Rockets sake, he finds another footy job somewhere else.

Remi Moses
08-08-2017, 10:35 AM
Like Rocket , but he'd jumped the shark when he took that job .
Looked washed up after he coached us

macca
08-08-2017, 10:55 AM
What a rabble that place must be. I thought it was ambitious of him to take that job given he had a director of coaching role at the pies at the time, It seemed to be a very comfortable role. I hope he finds something where he can be valued .

Perfect time to raid their list. There might be a few disgruntled players, anyone worthwhile picking up ?

Twodogs
08-08-2017, 11:30 AM
Dean Soloman to take over until the end of the season.

Twodogs
08-08-2017, 11:31 AM
What a rabble that place must be. I thought it was ambitious of him to take that job given he had a director of coaching role at the pies at the time, It seemed to be a very comfortable role. I hope he finds something where he can be valued .

Perfect time to raid their list. There might be a few disgruntled players, anyone worthwhile picking up ?

Peter Wright would be handy.

Remi Moses
08-08-2017, 11:32 AM
Complete calamity, it gets leaked before the announcement.

Topdog
08-08-2017, 11:40 AM
Why on Earth is May staying??

merantau
08-08-2017, 12:33 PM
The AFL needs to bite the bullet and forget about a second team in Qld. Aren't there a lot of retirees and tourists on the GC? Retirees already have teams be they AFL or NRL. Tourists? I wouldn't think going to the footy is high on their 'to do' lists! And besides that clubs need members not 'oncers'.
Gold Coast have been a bit of a rabble since the start. Karmichael Hunt? Kicked a goal didn’t he? I think he did once. It got a lot of publicity.
Gary Ablett? Great player but hasn't wanted to be there for a while. I'm not sure about those running the club. Do they know what they're doing?
Tasmanians are football mad and would love to stick it up us mainlanders. They would get right behind the Tassie Devils and their would be packed houses win, lose or draw.
Rocket is a good coach and his record compares well against all coaches who haven't won a flag - if that makes sense. He was certainly good for us.

Rocket Science
08-08-2017, 12:46 PM
It's been suggested the AFEL's largely behind this because they need to "sell hope" in order to sustain their shambolic northern experiment.

I'm sure Rocket's thrilled.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2017, 01:06 PM
And when Ablett demands a trade again... Franchises at the GC die. Just do the humane thing and let it die, and find another franchise elsewhere.

Murphy'sLore
08-08-2017, 01:09 PM
Has there ever been a successful sporting team of any kind based at the Gold Coast?

MrMahatma
08-08-2017, 01:18 PM
Has there ever been a successful sporting team of any kind based at the Gold Coast?

It doesn't help when getting to the game, even from Brisbane, is a serious pain in the backside. They could definitely get more people to the matches if they didn't have to mess around with park and rides etc to get there.

A shame about Rocket, but no surprise. Hopefully he's done what was required - instill a bit of leadership and prepare the next core group for life after Gaz. If he's done that, it's been a success. I'd agree it's time for a change of voice though. I'd expect there to be more than just one head roll though. They need to clear it out. Brisbane have turned it around quickly.

Twodogs
08-08-2017, 01:22 PM
The AFL needs to bite the bullet and forget about a second team in Qld. Aren't there a lot of retirees and tourists on the GC? Retirees already have teams be they AFL or NRL. Tourists? I wouldn't think going to the footy is high on their 'to do' lists! And besides that clubs need members not 'oncers'.
Gold Coast have been a bit of a rabble since the start. Karmichael Hunt? Kicked a goal didn’t he? I think he did once. It got a lot of publicity.
Gary Ablett? Great player but hasn't wanted to be there for a while. I'm not sure about those running the club. Do they know what they're doing?
Tasmanians are football mad and would love to stick it up us mainlanders. They would get right behind the Tassie Devils and their would be packed houses win, lose or draw.
Rocket is a good coach and his record compares well against all coaches who haven't won a flag - if that makes sense. He was certainly good for us.

I kind of feel sorry for Gil. Being left with the task of making Gold Coast work, or even just keeping it feasible, can't be easy. It's like a big dump that Demitriou took in the top draw of his desk as he was walking out the door and the smell just gets worse each time he opens it to look in there.

Can't think of one.

There's been a lot of unsuccessful sporting teams though.

AndrewP6
08-08-2017, 03:18 PM
Feel for Rocket. Hope he can pick up another job in football somewhere.

LostDoggy
08-08-2017, 03:23 PM
I wonder if Rocket would be a good fit in a Director of Coaching type of role with us. He seemed to enjoy our culture when head coach and I could see him being good at a bad cop type role in a manner similar to Montgomery (athogh his role would be different to Montys).

macca
08-08-2017, 03:27 PM
There could be a few vacancies at the pies, that would be ironic ....

Mantis
08-08-2017, 03:55 PM
Hasn't had much of a run of it due to any number of reasons, but in a market that's look for a quick jump up the ladder it was always going to be the way they went.

As others have suggested a footy manager/ director of coaching role is a good fit for a guy with a passion for & intimate knowledge of the game.

Twodogs
08-08-2017, 03:57 PM
I wonder if Rocket would be a good fit in a Director of Coaching type of role with us. He seemed to enjoy our culture when head coach and I could see him being good at a bad cop type role in a manner similar to Montgomery (athogh his role would be different to Montys).

I was wondering that as well. I think in addition to the bad cop role that Bevo needs a sounding board for his ideas and Rocket would be valuable in that role as well. Just someone to say "never tried that before, it could work" or "tried that but it didn't work for me because... maybe if we tried it another way?". Not give Eade the ultimate veto or anything silly like that but more use his experience. We have a very young coaching group. And it could do with a bit of updating.

Murphy'sLore
08-08-2017, 04:37 PM
As long as head office don't try to snaffle Bevo to take over at the Suns.

Nuggety Back Pocket
08-08-2017, 04:56 PM
Rocket's biggest mistake was to forego the plum job of Director of Coaching at Collingwood to become senior coach at the Suns. He did have a terrible run with injuries which didn't help nor did the attitude of Gary Ablett wanting to leave. It begs the question as to whether two Clubs are warranted in Queensland. In comparison to Greater Western Sydney who were given the world by the AFL,
the Gold Coast Suns have been poorly treated.

Bulldog4life
08-08-2017, 06:28 PM

He would have to replace Chris Grant who has that role now. I would stick with Granty

GVGjr
08-08-2017, 07:32 PM
Dean Soloman to take over until the end of the season.

John Barker after that?

GVGjr
08-08-2017, 07:40 PM

No I don't think that's the role for him him now. He probably needs a year away from footy or a year or two in the media.

He's had a very good footy career as a player and a coach but I don't think he offers that much now in a club coaching capacity.
He would be excellent in an AFL Coaches association role.

Twodogs
08-08-2017, 09:10 PM
John Barker after that?

He's the best candidate but Rocket nominated him as his successor. I reckon that might be a problem because Tony Cochrane is such a knobjockey that he will count Rocket's recommendation against him.

Go_Dogs
09-08-2017, 08:21 AM
Unfortunately, this was bound to happen. All the best for the future Rocket, and whilst I understand some of the angst about the team in the GC, I hope they find the right person and show some improvement.

Go_Dogs
04-10-2017, 11:38 PM
Got a text saying Dew has been appointed, can’t see it online yet.

GVGjr
04-10-2017, 11:43 PM
Got a text saying Dew has been appointed, can’t see it online yet.

Yep, it's done according to Sam Landsberger

Twodogs
05-10-2017, 12:25 AM
Stewart Dew a senior coach huh. He's a dual premiership player isn't he? One at Port and one at Hawthorn.

Go_Dogs
05-10-2017, 08:13 AM
Stewart Dew a senior coach huh. He's a dual premiership player isn't he? One at Port and one at Hawthorn.

Yep. He’s been close to a number of roles, so happy to see him get a chance.