PDA

View Full Version : Three things you've learned-round 21 v GWS

Twodogs
11-08-2017, 04:02 PM
Tell us, what are three things you've learned today. Remember you already knew that you hated the plastics with a passion before the game. You may hate them more than you thought but you already hated them.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2017, 11:09 PM
1. We are statistically the worst team in the Comp for goal kicking. Wondering if Lever & Kelly will help one bit or tie up our cap.
2. We need to trade some out if the offers are ok, The names can come in conversation threads in due time.
3. We gave up. I didn't think that was something this group did. Hopefully this is rock bottom with season over.

always right
12-08-2017, 12:10 AM
1. We are statistically the worst team in the Comp for goal kicking. Wondering if Lever & Kelly will help one bit or tie up our cap.
2. We need to trade some out if the offers are ok, The names can come in conversation threads in due time.
3. We gave up. I didn't think that was something this group did. Hopefully this is rock bottom with season over.

As a group there is no way we simply gave up....however there are some individuals whose effort was poor in the second half.

bulldogtragic
12-08-2017, 12:13 AM
As a group there is no way we simply gave up....however there are some individuals whose effort was poor in the second half.

It's a matter of perception. What I saw was us as a team giving up.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-08-2017, 12:22 AM
1. I wasnt confident we'd win, but i didn't think we'd roll over. That hurts.
2. If we're not able to be maniacal at the contest then just what e actly is our tactical plan based around? Its sure as shit not our forward play
3. At what point does Bont get demoralised being the only gamebreaker?

Ozza
12-08-2017, 12:30 AM
1. We played against the 2017 premiers tonight. Just outclassed. They still have Jeremy Cameron and Mummy to come back in at a minimum. Get on.
2. We can't carry Libba again in the side this season unless he is hard tagging someone. Will need a big off-season (in a good way).
3. We had 1 of last years 7 premiership defenders playing. And it showed.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-08-2017, 12:50 AM
1. Bont needs support and fast, otherwise we're gonna burn him out.
2. Williams is best 22 even with our full squad in.
3. We are painfully slow without JJ - we need to fix this.

Nuggety Back Pocket
12-08-2017, 12:58 AM
1. Little point when you lose JJ Wood and Morris from your defence to play Murphy on a wing and leave Fletcher Roberts lamenting in the VFL.
2. We had 30 more forward 50 advances than GWS with such a poor return of 7 goals.
3. Libba Wallis and Picken had 7 kicks between them which simply isn't good enough.

bornadog
12-08-2017, 01:27 AM
1. We played against the 2017 premiers tonight. Just outclassed. They still have Jeremy Cameron and Mummy to come back in at a minimum. Get on.
2. We can't carry Libba again in the side this season unless he is hard tagging someone. Will need a big off-season (in a good way).
3. We had 1 of last years 7 premiership defenders playing. And it showed.

At the stoppages, Libba was trying to stop Shield and when he wasn't there, Hopper. Many times he had his eyes on the man and back to the ball.

Doc26
12-08-2017, 01:42 AM
Toby Greene has lost his right to claim innocence from his latest crude act of putting his foot up, and into the face of his opponent (Dahl) in the act of marking the ball.

Whilst others without such a chequered history of head high hits might be afforded a benefit of doubt he has become such a rescidivist in hitting an opponent in the head that a rough conduct charge on him is reasonable in the circumstance, to push the case that he cannot continue to act so carelessly and crudely.

Of the 44 players out there this evening it wouldn't at all be difficult to guess which one of them was most likely to take an opponent out with a crude act to the head.

I give you Toby Greene, a wonderful player, but loose cannon and health risk to those around him.

His actions have gone beyond being justified in isolation. He needs help, but more importantly his collateral damage require protection from HQ.

merantau
12-08-2017, 02:02 AM
1. We have to win our next two games
2. We know how to shoot ourselves in the foot.
3. We had too many passengers in the second half.

ratsmac
12-08-2017, 10:16 AM
1. Libba is a shadow of himself. I'm not sure what his off field attitude or state of mind is but on field he is becoming a non factor.
2. Wallis needs a rest. He looks slow, really slow. He can't get to enough contests with any energy. Fumbling is not normally his go but it is now. Zero possessions after half time.
3. Lewis Young wanted a the ground to open up and swallow him whole. As far as defending goes handing the opposition 3 gift goals is not great. I feel really sorry for him because we don't have the type of support available he really needs around him on field right now. He has been thrown in the deep end in big time. I loved how he was the first to fly the flag when that dirty little *!*!*!*! kicked Dahl in the face though. Lewis will be a quality player for us for many years I have no doubt. Last night there were moments that wasn't his greatest.

always right
12-08-2017, 10:43 AM
3. Lewis Young wanted a the ground to open up and swallow him whole. As far as defending goes handing the opposition 3 gift goals is not great. I feel really sorry for him because we don't have the type of support available he really needs around him on field right now. He has been thrown in the deep end in big time. I loved how he was the first to fly the flag when that dirty little *!*!*!*! kicked Dahl in the face though. Lewis will be a quality player for us for many years I have no doubt. Last night there were moments that wasn't his greatest.
He's an interesting one is Lewis Young. Good hands, reads the ball well when playing in front, and a lovely kick on both feet. His weaknesses at the moment are hitting targets by hand, decision making with his kicking and his inability to impact marking contests from behind.

Obviously some of this will be addressed with more game time and some serious time in the gym. Last nights performance was always going to come when he played against quality opposition but no-one predicted his rapid improvement in his first season. Last night we erred in not playing Roberts. When Young's game was going pear shaped we had no option but to show faith in the young bloke.

Remi Moses
12-08-2017, 10:49 AM
1. I know I'm banging on about it , but it's totally unacceptable how he's become a hack tagger.
Wanna pull his finger out
2. The goal kicking is just park standard , and the forward line looks like a disorganised rabble
3. Hopefully the club is aggressive in the trade period, as we have glaring issues

Remi Moses
12-08-2017, 10:52 AM
1. Little point when you lose JJ Wood and Morris from your defence to play Murphy on a wing and leave Fletcher Roberts lamenting in the VFL.
2. We had 30 more forward 50 advances than GWS with such a poor return of 7 goals.
3. Libba Wallis and Picken had 7 kicks between them which simply isn't good enough.

Gotta agree, can't work out why Roberts wasn't played. Lewis Young's looked like he needed a spell last week .
It's not as if Fletcher has stunk it up at the lower level either.

always right
12-08-2017, 11:21 AM
Here's a possible team for round one next year assuming we have the same list bar Morris, Murphy and Boyd...and that they are all fit.

Biggs, Cordy, Williams
JJ, Adams, Wood
Hunter, McLean, Dale
Crameri, Boyd, Dickson
Dahl, Redpath, Stringer

Roughy,Bont, Macrae
I/C. Libba, Daniel, Dunkley, Young

That's five changes from last night's team and with exception of JJ does not address our lack of pace and is unlikely to address our poor conversion percentage. How many of the six forwards I've named would you back to kick a clutch goal? I reckon one.....and he is now at the back end of his career and regularly injured.

If I have one criticism of Dalrymple it's been his inability to introduce any speed to our team although a breakthrough year for Lynch would be very handy. Even our best young prospect from last year's draft, Lapinski, is another one-pace player...although he appears to have good foot skills. We really need to find a Dahlhaus type with better foot skills.

lemmon
12-08-2017, 11:26 AM

In the old days, he would've been benched and put the dressing gown on after that first really bad turnover up the middle to Kelly.

Credit to Suckling for getting across and giving him a rev but Patton was in his head after that.

westdog54
12-08-2017, 11:35 AM
1. JJ is expensive, but when he plays, he's worth it.
2. I'm starting to really worry about Libba. Something is not right.
3. We actually are the worst goalkickers in the comp. Literally. Statistically. We're the worst and it just ain't good enough.

Mantis
12-08-2017, 12:15 PM
1/ The Gold Coast Suns have a lot to answer for.
2/ I love everything about the type of person Mitch Wallis is, but we are a better team when he doesn't play.
3/ We get no return on general play dominance.

Ozza
12-08-2017, 12:30 PM
Wallis, Young and McLean were at my sons Auskick this morning. Must be about the last thing they felt like doing this morning - but couldn't have represented themselves and the club much better. Great fellas.

bulldogtragic
12-08-2017, 12:35 PM
Wallis, Young and McLean were at my sons Auskick this morning. Must be about the last thing they felt like doing this morning - but couldn't have represented themselves and the club much better. Great fellas.

Did you thank Young, on behalf of us all, for giving it to Greene after he kicked Dahl in the face?

comrade
12-08-2017, 01:53 PM

Good to hear. Young seems made of the right stuff, didn't back down after having a horror night which is all you can ask for.

ledge
12-08-2017, 02:26 PM
1 GWS have been gifted the best talent in the comp and the football department there have built a great team.
2 We need to fix our delivery and set shots
3 injuries to key positions have hurt us but the kids filling in will learn and only get better.
You learn more from losing than winning, we might not make finals but we will be ok once we clean up around our forward line.

bornadog
12-08-2017, 04:55 PM
1. Once a dirty dog (Greene), always a dirty dog - MRP must come down hard on this or it is open slather to do the same in future.

2. Our midfield was slaughtered - we need to import some pacey mids

3. Forget the lack of goal kicking accuracy, our field kicking and decision making was atrocious.

Flamethrower
12-08-2017, 09:08 PM
1. You can't have your team (especially the backline) devistated by injury and expect to be competitive against the competitions elite.

2. When it came to bold team selections in 2016, everything Bevo touched turned to diamond. This year, it has been more like coal.

3. If Dale Morris returns this week (as has been rumoured) the guy is a freak of nature.

Sedat
13-08-2017, 01:42 AM
1. We're off the pace with the real top end teams in 2017 - only Adelaide and GWS reside in this space
2. The sample size of our forward delivery woes is large enough to label it a genuine crisis and in need of major surgery
3. GWS will not win the flag - conceding 65 I50's against an Adelaide will result in a 10 goal loss. They are also 2 men short carrying Lids and Stevie J and will suffer for this at a crucial stage in the finals

Ozza
14-08-2017, 11:37 AM
1. We're off the pace with the real top end teams in 2017 - only Adelaide and GWS reside in this space
2. The sample size of our forward delivery woes is large enough to label it a genuine crisis and in need of major surgery
3. GWS will not win the flag - conceding 65 I50's against an Adelaide will result in a 10 goal loss. They are also 2 men short carrying Lids and Stevie J and will suffer for this at a crucial stage in the finals

Adelaide play a very different style to us so I don't really think its comparable. The 65 inside 50s don't mean much when so many of them are repeat entries with 30 players inside 50.

I think GWS are really building at the moment - they're finally starting to get their best team together, and once Cameron and Mumford are back - it is probably Johnson and Simpson (arguably their bottom 2 from Friday night) who miss.

Adelaide have been the best side for the season, but there is still a question mark over them in finals against the best.
Whereas the Giants belted Sydney and played very well vs us in the prelim.

Twodogs
14-08-2017, 12:22 PM
Adelaide play a very different style to us so I don't really think its comparable. The 65 inside 50s don't mean much when so many of them are repeat entries with 30 players inside 50.

I think GWS are really building at the moment - they're finally starting to get their best team together, and once Cameron and Mumford are back - it is probably Johnson and Simpson (arguably their bottom 2 from Friday night) who miss.

Adelaide have been the best side for the season, but there is still a question mark over them in finals against the best.

Yep, I think GWS are building nicely to the pointy end of the season and players like Mzungu give the team an edge they were missing previously. Even last year they were still a bunch of pampered show ponies who weren't prepared to go hard enough when it came down to it in the preliminary final. Now it looks like the penny has dropped for them. This might be there year. I worry about Leon Camerin though, a lot of the time he looks like a supporter who has found his way into the coaching box (a bit like Chris Scott) and seems to get caught up in reacting to incidents in the field instead of retaining a cool mind.

Mofra
14-08-2017, 01:23 PM
2/ I love everything about the type of person Mitch Wallis is, but we are a better team when he doesn't play.
Sadly we were talking about this on Friday night - can we play Libba and Wallis in the same team? I'm not convinced, Wallis looked slow and his disposal does not make up for the lack of legspeed.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-08-2017, 01:33 PM
Sadly we were talking about this on Friday night - can we play Libba and Wallis in the same team? I'm not convinced, Wallis looked slow and his disposal does not make up for the lack of legspeed.

Never had clean hands either.

Enormous respect to him for getting back after his horrific injury, but he isn't best 22.

jeemak
14-08-2017, 03:16 PM
Never had clean hands either.

Enormous respect to him for getting back after his horrific injury, but he isn't best 22.

I disagree regarding his hands in close, I think they're excellent.

Wallis has had a big workload this year since returning. He'll be better after another preseason.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-08-2017, 04:17 PM
I disagree regarding his hands in close, I think they're excellent.

Wallis has had a big workload this year since returning. He'll be better after another preseason.

Fumbles more than any of our other mids IMO.

Sedat
14-08-2017, 04:48 PM

I don't reckon Leon Cameron and the GWS MC has the stones to drop Stevie J for the finals, and they are clearly going to give Deledio game time in the seniors. That leaves two players out of 22 providing negligible output in finals - that won't cut it in a PF against an Adelaide or Sydney. It didn't cut it in last year's PF.

Ozza
14-08-2017, 05:16 PM
I don't reckon Leon Cameron and the GWS MC has the stones to drop Stevie J for the finals, and they are clearly going to give Deledio game time in the seniors. That leaves two players out of 22 providing negligible output in finals - that won't cut it in a PF against an Adelaide or Sydney. It didn't cut it in last year's PF.

The Stevie J case will be interesting.

Deledio will be valuable for them in the finals. He's now had two games back from a long spell - I'd expect he will be in good nick for finals - and we know he is an excellent player when fit. If he stays fit - Deledio could be a real wildcard for them as a small forward with his experience, and kicking & speed attributes.

AndrewP6
14-08-2017, 05:19 PM
I've learnt that you can kick someone in the face and expect to only receive a fine.

bornadog
14-08-2017, 05:56 PM
I've learnt that you can kick someone in the face and expect to only receive a fine.

or you can push someone in the chest and get three weeks when they dive on the ground.

Twodogs
15-08-2017, 08:53 PM
The Stevie J case will be interesting.

Deledio will be valuable for them in the finals. He's now had two games back from a long spell - I'd expect he will be in good nick for finals - and we know he is an excellent player when fit. If he stays fit - Deledio could be a real wildcard for them as a small forward with his experience, and kicking & speed attributes.

A bit like us bringing Clay Smith in last year.

I didn't know that.

or you can push someone in the chest and get three weeks when they dive on the ground.

But I always knew that was going to happen.