PDA

View Full Version : Training - 16/1

GVGjr
16-01-2008, 01:18 PM
I went along to training today.

The session was a fairly light one that consisted mainly of running and ball handling drills. Only a few minutes were dedicated to physical contests.

For the rehab guys
Jarrod Grant mainly worked out on the other side of the ground with running and just a bit of ball work. Hill ran a lot of laps and later on did some work kicking the ball to Minson. Hills kicking didn't have a lot of penetration with it. More on that a bit later
Gia and Lynch were walking laps and then spent time on the exercise bikes. Gia later did a bit of kicking and didn't have a brace on or strapping which indicates he is progressing well. Minson ran laps and looks in great condition. Lake did a combination of walking and running.
Lynch moved onto some boxing drills.
Skipper jogged laps and didn't do much else.
Ward did a number of boxing drills and push ups
Williams appeared onto the ground late in the session but didn't do and running. I didn't see Ray at all.

The main group
As Ernie has mentioned, Everitt has a very different look about his and looks to have added some size and strength. He moved very well throughout the session.
Morris is noticeably bigger. When I first got there I thought he was Mitch Hahn for a split second. I hope he hasn't lost a yard in pace.
I have been to a number of training sessions and I'd have to say todays was the best I had seen Adam Cooney move. He was often up the front of the group in the drills and he looked very quick. The blond locks were gone as well.
Cross, West, Aker, Eagleton and Boyd all ran hard.
I talked to Rob Murphys mother and father and they commented that Murph can't believe how far ahead in fitness terms he is when compared to the same time 12 months ago. From my perspective he did look to be in tip top condition.
McDougall looks a bit bigger in the legs, Addison was running very well and Stack seemed to be at home kicking goals on the run.
Boumann is a tall midfielder at the moment. He is more at home running with the ball than taking a mark.
Griffen doesn't look as big as last season but did everything right. Hargrave just went about his business. Murphs parents made some nice comments about him both as a person and as a player.

It's a bit hard to keep on top of things as they had 3 groups going in different sections of the ground.

One of the more interesting drills was when Hill was kicking the ball to Minson. Barnes was standing behind Minson with one of those big foam sticks. Every time Minson went for a mark JB would give him a whack and I do mean every time.
Early in this drill Minson held his marks but eventually he started spilling them more frequently. He seemed to be getting a little frustrated.

Not much else to tell but ask away if you like.

Mantis
16-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the report.

Good to hear Cooney moving well. As with others I'm very keen to watch him 'explode' this year.

LostDoggy
16-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Im keen to watch Cooney 'explode' aswell. It would be great to see. But a good preseason will be wasted if he doesnt improve his hands below his knees. Im sure he will be working on this

The Underdog
16-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the report GVG.
Great to hear Cooney and Murph look good.
Like the Minson marking drill. He's going to have to cope with worse than that if he plays FF.
Fingers crossed I'll get to see them for myself on Saturday.

GVGjr
16-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the report GVG.
Great to hear Cooney and Murph look good.
Like the Minson marking drill. He's going to have to cope with worse than that if he plays FF.
Fingers crossed I'll get to see them for myself on Saturday.

I'd be surprised if that particular marking drill with Minson and Barnes was on show on Saturday but like you I will keep an eye out for it. :)

The Underdog
16-01-2008, 02:23 PM
I'd be surprised if that particular marking drill with Minson and Barnes was on show on Saturday but like you I will keep an eye out for it. :)

If I get a leave pass I'll bring my own foam sticks for "Will-Wacking".
All the kids can have a go. At least until Will gets angry. You wouldn't like Will when he's angry....:mad:

Templeton31
16-01-2008, 03:51 PM
cracking report GVG. I like the way you referred to Lake without blinking an eye! :)

Its interesting that Rocket says that the group has a lot less in the recovery/injured brigade yet there seems to be just as many players walking laps and not partaking in the main session as last year. I guess the ones in recovery are mostly younger and not with as serious injuries as Hahn, Murph, Walsh & Darce last year....

GVGjr
16-01-2008, 05:50 PM
cracking report GVG. I like the way you referred to Lake without blinking an eye! :)

I actually had to force myself to remember it :)

Its interesting that Rocket says that the group has a lot less in the recovery/injured brigade yet there seems to be just as many players walking laps and not partaking in the main session as last year. I guess the ones in recovery are mostly younger and not with as serious injuries as Hahn, Murph, Walsh & Darce last year....

It is a hell of a lot better injury wise than 12 months ago. All of the rehab group looked in good shape. I wonder about Williams and Ray if today was scheduled as more of a gym session for them but I didn't see Ray at all. It wasn't easy identifying the players today but I don't think I missed him.

Dogs 24/7
16-01-2008, 08:07 PM
One of the more interesting drills was when Hill was kicking the ball to Minson. Barnes was standing behind Minson with one of those big foam sticks. Every time Minson went for a mark JB would give him a whack and I do mean every time.
Early in this drill Minson held his marks but eventually he started spilling them more frequently. He seemed to be getting a little frustrated.

Not much else to tell but ask away if you like.

Thanks for the update. Its great that a few from the site get there and provide updates for everyone.Like a lot of people this goes towards my footy fix.

That is an funny training drill that you detailed.Has any one else seen a drill like that ? Barnes might have used that at Essendon.Was he trying to knock one of his arms ?

Anything else on Gia or Brian Lake?

The Bulldogs Bite
16-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the report.

It'll be interesting to see what players step up. Every year there's a couple that manage to cut out a position in the side for themselves. Last year Everitt & Williams did well, whilst Harbrow did OK too. Just on that - how is Harbrow looking? Haven't heard much of him this summer. I'll be watching the progress of Harbrow, Stack & Lynch closely. I don't think Hill's ready yet, and Lynch for that matter isn't too - but he did show positive signs in '07. Stack & Harbrow seem a little more developed, and having done pretty well last year (Harbrow), I'll be curious to see how he follows it up.

From those that have been down a few times, do any players look likely to improve and become a solid contributor? Eg. Addison/Harbrow/McDougall/Wight/Callan?

I wouldn't mind seeing an Addison/Callan type step up and fill a void in the back half, or midfield. We need another lockdown type player and these two are probably the only other two on our list capable of providing us with such a role.

BulldogBelle
16-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the report GVG, well written and very imformative.

LostDoggy
16-01-2008, 09:48 PM
I went along to training as well but the names didn't flow as well as GVGjr's report.
I would have liked to have seen more for the draftees but with the first two picks injured it was a struggle. Someone pointed out Easton Wood to me but he was just walking around and didn't train. That Harry White is quite a small lad. He needs a daily feed of KFC but he is quick and kicks the ball OK.
I dont think I can add much more to what has already written but if anyone has a question I will see what I can do.

LostDoggy
16-01-2008, 10:22 PM
I have been to a number of training sessions and I'd have to say todays was the best I had seen Adam Cooney move. He was often up the front of the group in the drills and he looked very quick.

Great summary mate, yeah Cooney is absolutely killing it at training so I am told. An interesting conversation with a mate over at the club about Coons in that he ( Coons) wanted this preseason to be his best to date no niggling injuries and has been doing everything to get the best out of himself. Expect a big season from our No1 draft pick.

I couldnt make it there today so have to say mate this training report is marvellous keep up the good work always enjoy reading your informed posts.

You didn't mention Westy and Johnno were they out there today?

GVGjr
16-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Great summary mate, yeah Cooney is absolutely killing it at training so I am told. An interesting conversation with a mate over at the club about Coons in that he ( Coons) wanted this preseason to be his best to date no niggling injuries and has been doing everything to get the best out of himself. Expect a big season from our No1 draft pick.

I couldnt make it there today so have to say mate this training report is marvellous keep up the good work always enjoy reading your informed posts.

You didn't mention Westy and Johnno were they out there today?

I did mention West but after a check I did miss Johnson. He was doing his normal things.

Seeing Cooney really working his backside off was quite a sight, Normally this time of the year he is being managed with a different programme.

LostDoggy
16-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Seeing Cooney really working his backside off was quite a sight, Normally this time of the year he is being managed with a different programme.

Well that is right and he feels in himself that he is going to have a big year the Bulldog folk reckon this will be his break out year and his confidence is at an all time high. From what I see and hear he is moving along very nicely.

LostDoggy
16-01-2008, 10:58 PM
My father went as well and was told to watch from the top of the Gent stand. Apparently there is as much bird poo there as there is in Nauru.
He said he went behind the goals at one end pretty easily and others followed him.

GVGjr
16-01-2008, 11:15 PM
My father went as well and was told watch for the top of the Gent stand. Apparently as much bird poo there as in Nauru.
He said he went behind the goals at one end pretty easily and others followed him.

It's filthy. In serious need of a working bee to clean it up.

LostDoggy
16-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks mate great report.

When is training next?

GVGjr
16-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Thanks mate great report.

When is training next?

One of the guys mentioned Friday.

Raw Toast
17-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Great report GvGjr - really enjoying reading all the reports from Ernie and now you,
must get down there myself soon.

Was Hill intentionally lobbing the ball up in the air to Minson, or was Minson leading for it?

If Barnes needs a rest from wacking Will they could get Tits Kennedy to help :)

LostDoggy
17-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Thank you for the report. You didn't mention O'Shea at all and I'd like to know how he is going.

GVGjr
17-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Was Hill intentionally lobbing the ball up in the air to Minson, or was Minson leading for it?

If Barnes needs a rest from wacking Will they could get Tits Kennedy to help :)

Hill was to run with the ball and kick it towards Minson. It was probably kicked high for the exercise but the kicks seemed to lack strength.

FWIW, Barnes seems to conduct himself seriously through the sessions