PDA

View Full Version : If Geelong play GWS in the Prelim final this year will it be at the Cattery?

Topdog
29-08-2017, 10:39 AM
I'm kind of hoping for things to play out in such a manner that the AFL is forced to make a decision on this.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-08-2017, 10:47 AM
It'll be at the G. AFL won't have a prelim at the cattery. There'll be a fair crowd of neutrals, MCC members for their last game of the year and then of course the corporates and sponsors. MCG for sure in my opinion.

jeemak
29-08-2017, 10:51 AM
Whichever is deemed more favourable to GWS.............

Twodogs
29-08-2017, 11:45 AM
They will think of a BS reason to have it at Spotless.

bornadog
29-08-2017, 03:19 PM
It'll be at the G. AFL won't have a prelim at the cattery. There'll be a fair crowd of neutrals, MCC members for their last game of the year and then of course the corporates and sponsors. MCG for sure in my opinion.

Based on that, last year it should have been at ANZ stadium to allow more people to have an opportunity to watch it.

jeemak
29-08-2017, 03:20 PM
Based on that, last year it should have been at ANZ stadium to allow more people to have an opportunity to watch it.

I don't think Spotless was actually filled last year!

bornadog
29-08-2017, 03:26 PM
I don't think Spotless was actually filled last year!

It wasn't but what happens is people get scared off because they think they can't get tickets. On Friday there were reports Etihad was virtually sold out, yet the attendance was $48k plus.

For bigger stadiums, people think, differently - anyway that is my theory.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-08-2017, 03:34 PM

True. But being Sydney, the interest just isn't as strong as it is in Melbourne.

bornadog
29-08-2017, 03:43 PM
True. But being Sydney, the interest just isn't as strong as it is in Melbourne.

Maybe more would have flown up from Melbourne.

My point is the AFL have double standards and do things to suit themselves, not fans.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-08-2017, 03:48 PM

My point is the AFL have double standards and do things to suit themselves, not fans.

What was their rationale to have our 2015 final against adelaide at the G? For the fans? That's what their message was. I'm not so sure

Twodogs
29-08-2017, 03:51 PM
It wasn't but what happens is people get scared off because they think they can't get tickets. On Friday there were reports Etihad was virtually sold out, yet the attendance was $48k plus.

For bigger stadiums, people think, differently - anyway that is my theory.

I tend to agree. The AFL went all out to put people off attending last year's prelim because they thought a smaller crowd would advantage GWS. Fortunately a lot of bulldog supporters refused to be put off and went anyway!

bornadog
29-08-2017, 03:55 PM
What was their rationale to have our 2015 final against adelaide at the G? For the fans? That's what their message was. I'm not so sure

Pretty sure the club wanted to play at the "G" - Bevo said we need to learn to play there. Also, more money for AFL if played at bigger ground. Geelong could have pushed playing Tigers down at Geelong.

jeemak
29-08-2017, 04:02 PM

They openly stated more fans would have the opportunity to attend the game, and they were right. They just apply that principle when it suits them.

jeemak
29-08-2017, 04:02 PM
Pretty sure the club wanted to play at the "G" - Bevo said we need to learn to play there. Also, more money for AFL if played at bigger ground. Geelong could have pushed playing Tigers down at Geelong.

For what purpose?

They'd never get it across the line and it would act as a distraction.

bornadog
29-08-2017, 04:07 PM
For what purpose?

They'd never get it across the line and it would act as a distraction.

I am just pointing out like you, the AFL make up the rules as they go along. Other clubs can have home finals so why can't Geelong push for one? Purpose = home ground advantage, but yes would be stupid to ignore playing at the G in front of a massive crowd.

Topdog
29-08-2017, 05:09 PM

Also why i started this thread :D

Topdog
29-08-2017, 05:10 PM
I am just pointing out like you, the AFL make up the rules as they go along. Other clubs can have home finals so why can't Geelong push for one? Purpose = home ground advantage, but yes would be stupid to ignore playing at the G in front of a massive crowd.

For the Richmond game that was no chance as will easily get 70k. Im not so sure they will get a big crowd vs GWS.

bornadog
29-08-2017, 06:24 PM
For the Richmond game that was no chance as will easily get 70k. Im not so sure they will get a big crowd vs GWS.

Could get 50k for prelim, lot of neutrals will go

Flamethrower
29-08-2017, 06:56 PM
Preliminary Final weekend is the people's Grand Final weekend, as so few can get tickets the week after unless they are on a first name basis with Gil, Kerry or Rupert (or prepared to sell their house for a scalped ticket).

The winner of the Geelong v Richmond "Feline Distemper Cup" will host a prelim at the MCG, while the winner of the Adelaide v GWS "Fat Rat's Clacker Cup" will host a prelim at either Adelaide Oval or Spotless (unless the Swans play the Giants, then it could be moved at the cow paddock next door).

Twodogs
29-08-2017, 07:22 PM
Preliminary Final weekend is the people's Grand Final weekend, as so few can get tickets the week after unless they are on a first name basis with Gil, Kerry or Rupert (or prepared to sell their house for a scalped ticket).

The winner of the Geelong v Richmond "Feline Distemper Cup" will host a prelim at the MCG, while the winner of the Adelaide v GWS "Fat Rat's Clacker Cup" will host a prelim at either Adelaide Oval or Spotless (unless the Swans play the Giants, then it could be moved at the cow paddock next door).

Beautiful use of the language.;)

jeemak
29-08-2017, 08:38 PM
Better footy for sure on prelim weekend in most cases.

Dry Rot
29-08-2017, 10:11 PM
I tend to agree. The AFL went all out to put people off attending last year's prelim because they thought a smaller crowd would advantage GWS. Fortunately a lot of bulldog supporters refused to be put off and went anyway!

A contrary view.

ANZ/Homebush is a shit of a ground, where neither the Giants nor the swans play anymore.

It was the Giants' PF and therefore should be at their ground, which is a ripper ground to watch footy.

But of course, 2 things were unexpected - almost half the crowd were Doggies fans, and we won.

Twodogs
29-08-2017, 10:44 PM
A contrary view.

ANZ/Homebush is a shit of a ground, where neither the Giants nor the swans play anymore.

It was the Giants' PF and therefore should be at their ground, which is a ripper ground to watch footy.

But of course, 2 things were unexpected - almost half the crowd were Doggies fans, and we won.

In the end it turned out to be a red letter day in our history. They ended up doing us a favour.

I often wonder what the blokes who founded the club back in 1887 or 1883 or 1878 or whenever would have thought of the fact that we travelled to WA and NSW in a four week period to win a flag. I wonder if they experimented with different ways of doing the annual up to Ballarat in the VFA days?

jeemak
29-08-2017, 11:02 PM
Interestingly, the SCG is probably the ground where AFL preliminary finals should be played - even if it's an all Sydney affair - if you listen to Sydney Swans management. That was their hubris infused take on things a couple of months ago, they may have softened that stance from recent reports.

The bulldog tragician
03-09-2017, 09:08 PM
A contrary view.

Oh, much more than half, surely? I think we made up two thirds of the crowd.