PDA

View Full Version : 2017 AFL Finals

Pages : [1] 2

Eastdog
04-09-2017, 05:13 PM
2017 AFL Finals Week 1 fixture

First Qualifying Final: Adelaide Crows (1) vs GWS Giants (4) 7:50pm AEST Thursday 7 September, Adelaide Oval.

Second Qualifying Final: Geelong Cats (2) vs Richmond Tigers (3) 7:50pm AEST Friday 8 September, MCG.

Second Elimination Final: Sydney Swans (6) vs Essendon Bombers (7) 4:20pm AEST Saturday 9 September, SCG.

First Elimination Final: Port Adelaide Power (5) vs West Coast Eagles (8) 7:50pm AEST Saturday 9 September, Adelaide Oval.

Hotdog60
04-09-2017, 07:09 PM
Who cares ;)

bulldogsthru&thru
04-09-2017, 07:11 PM
Who cares ;)

I know we're coming off the greatest finals series we've all ever been apart of, but this truly is an underwhelming finals lineup. It's hard to be excited by any of it. The most we can hope for is that games go down to the wire.

To be fair this year has big shoes to fill :)

AndrewP6
04-09-2017, 07:24 PM
Week 1 fixture at my house - Thursday: Western Bulldogs vs West Coast Eagles, Domain Stadium, September 8, 2016.

That is all.

ledge
04-09-2017, 07:29 PM
I think they are interesting games , could all go either way, only one you would be most confident with would be the swans.

Flamethrower
04-09-2017, 07:57 PM
Thursday night will be colourful with a splash of red, orange, yellow, charcoal and navy blue. Not much else going for it.

Saturday could be particularly yawn worthy with 2 potential slaughters.

Just have to hope Friday night saves the weekend 2 perennial underachievers battling for the Greg Normal automatic choke award. Will be fun laughing at whichever team chokes best, knowing that a straight sets exit is likely with the hot Swans looming.

bulldogtragic
04-09-2017, 08:34 PM
Whoever wins this week cheated with having a week's break. Not sure I can watch games between 4 cheats and 4 losers this weekend.

boydogs
04-09-2017, 10:54 PM
Adelaide, Sydney & Port easily

Geelong v Richmond should be a good game

Rocket Science
04-09-2017, 11:15 PM
I'd be content with an excruciatingly close GWS loss, a comprehensive Essendon pantsing and for the Tigers to get exposed for the hollow pretenders they are.

Dry Rot
05-09-2017, 12:14 AM
FWIW Bombers seem to match up well vs Swans and should have won earlier this year @ the SCG. Should be good game.

Twodogs
05-09-2017, 04:17 AM
FWIW Bombers seem to match up well vs Swans and should have won earlier this year @ the SCG. Should be good game.

Yep. I hate to say it but Essendon are a sneaky chance.

Webby
05-09-2017, 08:37 AM
Yep. I hate to say it but Essendon are a sneaky chance.

God I hope not! Swans by 50+ points, please! Pretty please!!!

For me, the Tigers are the biggest chance to surprise. I think that on the much wider MCG, they are well suited - whereas Geelong are less comfortable. I think the Tigers will edge it.

Twodogs
05-09-2017, 08:44 AM
Richmond win a final? I'd like to see that! :cool:

bulldogsthru&thru
05-09-2017, 08:54 AM
Whoever wins this week cheated with having a week's break. Not sure I can watch games between 4 cheats and 4 losers this weekend.

What's more i will bloody spew if a team outside the top 4 wins it. It should simply never happen. 4 teams that are making up the numbers have no right in competing for the flag. The top 2 winners from week 1 have a right of passage straight through to the grand final.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2017, 11:00 AM
What's more i will bloody spew if a team outside the top 4 wins it. It should simply never happen. 4 teams that are making up the numbers have no right in competing for the flag. The top 2 winners from week 1 have a right of passage straight through to the grand final.

Especially if it's Geelong. Chris Scott has had a tough time as coach, he deserves it.

Topdog
05-09-2017, 12:46 PM

Sorry what is this based on? Sydney have won the last 7 encounters between the 2 teams.

The game earlier in the season Essendon were coming off the bye, Sydney actually led at the end of every quarter and had 6 more scoring shots. The game should have been over at 3qtr time.

jeemak
07-09-2017, 08:56 PM
They had that little face kicking shit stain on the AFL promo today, followed by Cal Ward telling everyone how close GWS were to winning the prelim in the pre-match.

I want nothing more than for these arse clowns to lose tonight.

Rocket Science
07-09-2017, 09:46 PM
There's only one thing that can make me barrack for Adelaide.

GWS.

Hope the Crows go on with this and utterly humiliate them.

bulldogtragic
07-09-2017, 09:51 PM
They had that little face kicking shit stain on the AFL promo today, followed by Cal Ward telling everyone how close GWS were to winning the prelim in the pre-match.

I want nothing more than for these arse clowns to lose tonight.

Just flicked on, and a shame I missed it. Great scoreboard to date even more. Perhaps those aforementioned arse clowns might check the 2016 season data/results and see who won that prelim and GF.

Ha Ha. Mother*!*!*!*!ers!

Doc26
07-09-2017, 09:56 PM
I'd be content with an excruciatingly close GWS loss, a comprehensive Essendon pantsing and for the Tigers to get exposed for the hollow pretenders they are.

I'm with you with your other results but I'd love to see Geelong go out in straight sets again and continue the mediocre run of finals loses under Chris Scott in recent times. Plus I couldn't another year of smug Geelong media personalities continuing to talk up everything Geelong. Go Tiges.

bornadog
07-09-2017, 09:57 PM
44 points down wow, getting smashed. GWS rattled:D

KT31
07-09-2017, 09:58 PM
44 points down wow, getting smashed

and loving it !!!!

jeemak
07-09-2017, 09:58 PM
Just flicked on, and a shame I missed it. Great scoreboard to date even more. Perhaps those aforementioned arse clowns might check the 2016 season data/results and see who won that prelim and GF.

Ha Ha. Mother*!*!*!*!ers!

When we played these dickheads they've always pretended as if they've won a premiership and a prelim. They've done neither, and we have since they've been in the competition.

They can go and get *!*!*!*!ed. I hate every single one of them, including Leon Cameron.

ratsmac
07-09-2017, 10:00 PM
GWS hahahahahahahahahahaha

bulldogtragic
07-09-2017, 10:01 PM
When we played these dickheads they've always pretended as if they've won a premiership and a prelim. They've done neither, and we have since they've been in the competition.

They can go and get *!*!*!*!ed. I hate every single one of them, including Leon Cameron.

Don't forget the it entitlement mentality. They've done hard for their 1 fan for 5 years. All with only 35 first rounders...

bornadog
07-09-2017, 10:02 PM
Big quarter from GWS, 1 behind :D

The Doctor
Go the Crows. Finish the job!

I hate GWS, that bunch of plastic primadonnas with all their posturing and patheticness. Has Cameron had a kick yet?

I would love nothing more than total humiliation for them and the AFL.

AndrewP6
I wasn't going to watch these finals, but this is great. Just great!

Doc26

I loathe the plastics as well but this doesn't extend to Leon. I've only ever heard him respectful of us in his assessments.

ratsmac
07-09-2017, 10:04 PM
I don't normally drink when I have work the next day but this is to good an opportunity to pass up! Where's those Peroni's!

Rocket Science
07-09-2017, 10:04 PM
Hopefully this is the finals series to teach these entitled turds that if you want to strut about with puffed up pigeon chests you need to have actually accomplished something first.

Go you Crows.

josie
07-09-2017, 10:06 PM
Never thought I'd barrack so hard for the crows. They are an exciting club to watch when on song. Kill the plastics!! Kill, crush, destroy Will Robinson...Oh and while you are at it please please please wipe thugreen's face into the turf to wipe that smug smirk off his annoying thugface. That snap goal by Eddie was just gobsmackingly good. One of my fave non-dogs players.

bornadog
07-09-2017, 10:06 PM
Mumford zero disposals, Toby 4, Deledio 4.

The Doctor
07-09-2017, 10:09 PM
Mumford zero disposals, Turd 4, Deledio 4.

Edited for accuracy ;)

Sedat
07-09-2017, 10:13 PM
GWS have been imposters all season. Tonight is simply affirmation of the reality of their season - that they
were only a handful of arsey wins better than us this season and we were shithouse.

bornadog
07-09-2017, 10:17 PM
GWS have been imposters all season. Tonight is simply affirmation of the reality of their season - that they
were only a handful of arsey wins better than us this season and we were shithouse.

You are right, they won 3 more games than us plus two draws. A few lucky wins like the Collingwood game.

AndrewP6
07-09-2017, 10:19 PM
Cameron done for the night, ice on his leg. If it's a hammy, could be all over for him for the finals. Shame. Bahahahahahaha

bulldogtragic
07-09-2017, 10:20 PM

They've been drinking their own bath water (us too), particularly that it would just happen with so much talent and experienced players to level them out like quality users in Lids & Gryphone... Who are injured shells of their former selves. If the competition can run another good raid or two on them it may shorten their window or disrupt it with hopefully Davis, Shaw, Lids, Mummy, Gryphone retiring or being passed it, and Greene suffering from treatment resistant bubonic plague.

kruder
07-09-2017, 10:21 PM
Its amazing how poor GWS's ball movement is considering the talent they have in the side. I think a lot of us are keen for more outside skill in our own team but method obviously plays a massive role also. One thing I will say about both sides their pressure its not quite at the elite level thats for sure I still think Adelaide are getable in a hot final at the G.

jeemak
07-09-2017, 10:26 PM
I loathe the plastics as well but this doesn't extend to Leon. I've only ever heard him respectful of us in his assessments.

He lost me as he's continually played down how shite Toby Greene is as a person. A man of integrity would call it as it is and try and fix him.

kruder
07-09-2017, 10:27 PM
Jeremy Cameron has been a disappointing player for GWS he escapes criticism thats for sure. I cant remember the last time he has stood up in a big game.

Sedat
07-09-2017, 10:28 PM
Jeremy Cameron has been a disappointing player for GWS he escapes criticism thats for sure. I cant remember the last time he has stood up in a big game.
They actually play better without him

kruder
07-09-2017, 10:29 PM
They actually play better without him

Agree, more disappointing than Jake IMO, yet the media doesn't care about GWS I guess.

jeemak
07-09-2017, 10:29 PM
Its amazing how poor GWS's ball movement is considering the talent they have in the side. I think a lot of us are keen for more outside skill in our own team but method obviously plays a massive role also. One thing I will say about both sides their pressure its not quite at the elite level thats for sure I still think Adelaide are getable in a hot final at the G.

It's why you wouldn't give up a Jacko for a Kelly.

hujsh
07-09-2017, 10:33 PM
I am laughing and laughing and laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGZdPxLcHV8

bulldogtragic
07-09-2017, 10:34 PM
Oh no. I hope the flood gates don't open on GWS.

hujsh
07-09-2017, 10:35 PM

Would the Sydney final last year be the exception? Vaguely remember him doing well

The Doctor
07-09-2017, 10:35 PM
I love it. Give them a sniff then take the hankie away!

Eastdog
07-09-2017, 10:36 PM
The Plastics honestly yes they have had injuries but have been very flakey this year.

bulldogtragic
07-09-2017, 10:37 PM
Would the Sydney final last year be the exception? Vaguely remember him doing well

4 goals in the 3rd quarter from memory.

I'm not sure what happened to the player that burst on the scene nearly winning the comp's leading goal kicker.

Rocket Science
07-09-2017, 10:38 PM
Gee the Giants are pissweak and non committal around the contest.

bornadog
07-09-2017, 10:42 PM

He kicked 4 that night but hardly touched it in the prelim ( 2 kicks 3 disposals. )

bulldogtragic
07-09-2017, 10:47 PM
He kicked 4 that night but hardly touched it in the prelim ( 2 kicks 3 disposals. )

Isn't that 100% more kicks than Gryphone got? :D

jeemak
07-09-2017, 10:54 PM
But Cameron is so confident? How could someone so confident during the rest of the year only deliver form time to time when the whips are cracking (to use a Sedat parlance).....?

comrade
07-09-2017, 10:58 PM
Suck a fat one, you pea hearted plastic scum.

Damn that felt good :D

The Doctor
07-09-2017, 11:04 PM
Patton thinks he is Wayne Carey but he is barely Kingsley Hunter

bulldogtragic
07-09-2017, 11:06 PM

Kingsley Hunter had way better hair. Way.

Doc26
07-09-2017, 11:06 PM
I can smell a priority pick heading GWS's way at season's end.

Rocket Science
07-09-2017, 11:10 PM
It'd be nice if the commentary team could pare back the soft barracking and start calling out the invisible pricks for their collective no show tonight.

Sedat
07-09-2017, 11:10 PM
Kingsley Hunter had way better hair. Way.
Pity he had the eyebrow that looked like it was shaved during a bucks party prank but never grew back

Rocket Science
07-09-2017, 11:15 PM

Quite enjoying the reflexive sook every time a contest doesn't go his way.

bulldogtragic
07-09-2017, 11:17 PM
Pity he had the eyebrow that looked like it was shaved during a bucks party prank but never grew back

How do you think we were able to get him? Big guys with good hair and two good eyes brows just don't get traded by clubs everyday. I can only really of Tom Boyd.

Doc26
07-09-2017, 11:23 PM
I've disliked the Crows for a long time but have they accumulated one impressive list. Losing Dangerfield, and like us, picked off with the expansion teams, losing their Coach in such tragic circumstances, there would be few in the eight more deserving of the flag. Note: That was a lot harder to say than I thought.

The Doctor
07-09-2017, 11:33 PM
I've disliked the Crows for a long time but have they accumulated one impressive list. Losing Dangerfield, and like us, picked off with the expansion teams, losing their Coach in such tragic circumstances, there would be few in the eight more deserving of the flag. Note: That was a lot harder to say than I thought.

Great call Doc!

Twodogs
07-09-2017, 11:50 PM

Kind of like the The Olympics.

KT31
07-09-2017, 11:51 PM
Where the black armbands tonight for Phil Walsh ?

AndrewP6
08-09-2017, 12:14 AM
Where the black armbands tonight for Phil Walsh ?

Sam Jacobs' brother passed away last week.

Dry Rot
08-09-2017, 12:46 AM
Only saw the last quarter, but Davis looked like his confidence was shot.

I rate the Eagles a chance at Adelaide Oval (good record there) and hopefully they will win, so Davis can re-build his confidence against that shithouse CHF Kennedy nest week.

bulldogtragic
08-09-2017, 01:13 AM
Kind of like the The Olympics.

Yeah, except the governing bodies are dodgy, drug cheating is covered up and the host venues are rigged...

jazzadogs
08-09-2017, 01:34 AM
I loved the incredulity of the commentators talking about Mumford's poor game. He has been terribly slow for a while, and apart from his macho physicality which has seen him suspended multiple times, his output does not match his reputation.

Personally, I hope he, Deledio and Stevie J play for a couple more years. #straightsets

Happy Days
08-09-2017, 01:54 PM
Mumford's been disgusting all year, can't believe it took them 25 weeks to pick up on it.

Didn't get to watch the game last night, but geez that's a bad performance on paper from the Poodles (love it). However, now that they're on the other side of the draw to the good sides, I still think they make the GF; only have to get through the not-loser of WC/Port and the Cats.

Remi Moses
08-09-2017, 03:36 PM
Just watched the game , and apparently all is good for the plastics because they won the second half .
Brereton's love for this club is galling . Thought the crows just worked harder and not enough blue collar for the plastic franchise
Happy if the crows get through after the phil Walsh tragedy, and the losses to other clubs .

The bulldog tragician
08-09-2017, 03:38 PM
Not so arrogant now, hey? You could see the petulance grow by the moment. IT JUST ISNT SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE THIS!!

Some vintage Heath Shaw tantrums. And I do believe I saw Jono Patten, who enjoyed mocking an 18 year old, with a quivering lip.*

#straghtsets

*not really but his misery when things didn't go his way was a delight to behold

bulldogsthru&thru
08-09-2017, 03:40 PM
Not so arrogant now, hey? You could see the petulance grow by the moment. IT JUST ISNT SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE THIS!!

Some vintage Heath Shaw tantrums. And I do believe I saw Jono Patten, who enjoyed mocking an 18 year old, with a quivering lip.*

#straghtsets

*not really but his misery when things didn't go his way was a delight to behold

Ah yes, reminds me of one Preliminary Final back in 2016

Topdog
08-09-2017, 04:13 PM
Agree, more disappointing than Jake IMO, yet the media doesn't care about GWS I guess.

Not sure if this is serious but no he has not been as disappointing as Jake, not even close.

Played 2 more games yet kicked 21 more goals and averaged 4 marks a game

bornadog
08-09-2017, 04:32 PM
Terry Wallace just now on SEN, was saying, the GWS team was the worse selected team he has seen. Not enough runners and 9 players over 190cm plus.

Serves them right. :D:D

Rocket Science
08-09-2017, 04:38 PM
Terry Wallace just now on SEN, was saying, the GWS team was the worse selected team he has seen. Not enough runners and 9 players over 190cm plus.

I love how their forecast response to this is to bring in Stevie J.

And if they need more runners, who knows, maybe Gryphon.

Tee hee.

bornadog
08-09-2017, 04:51 PM
I love how their forecast response to this is to bring in Stevie J.

And if they need more runners, who knows, maybe Gryphon.

Tee hee.

Stevie J was cooked two years ago and produces one goal every one season that looks freaky. Gryphon hasn't played for how long? Played a reserves game today and looked like he was hobbling with ankle problems but journos still saying he is an option to come in.

KT31
08-09-2017, 05:00 PM
Stevie J was cooked two years ago and produces one goal every one season that looks freaky. Gryphon hasn't played for how long? Played a reserves game today and looked like he was hobbling with ankle problems but journos still saying he is an option to come in.

Hope they pick him, its already a brilliant prospect but it would be the icing on the cake and make a straight set exit so much more enjoyable .

Topdog
08-09-2017, 05:14 PM

Worst selection in a finals game since Rohan Smith??

The bulldog tragician
08-09-2017, 05:29 PM

Ouch! That really was hubris from Plough to make and persist with that match up

Topdog
08-09-2017, 06:35 PM
Ouch! That really was hubris from Plough to make and persist with that match up
Winning the premiership means i can mention that without breaking down and crying

KT31
08-09-2017, 08:41 PM

It wasn't Smith selection that was the issue, it was Wallet firstly playing him on Robram and then leaving him on him for far too long that was the issue.

Topdog
08-09-2017, 08:48 PM
It wasn't Smith selection that was the issue, it was Wallet firstly playing him on Robram and then leaving him on him for far too long that was the issue.

Yeah i didn't know how to write that succinctly and I'm certainly not suggesting Smith should have been dropped.

EasternWest
08-09-2017, 09:09 PM
Motlop with a blazing display of do not want.

Topdog
08-09-2017, 09:27 PM
Motlop with a blazing display of do not want.

Lol i thought the same during that quarter. So bad in big games

Flamethrower
08-09-2017, 09:28 PM
McInerney at it again paying phantom free kicks.

bornadog
08-09-2017, 09:28 PM
Hoping for a Tigers win tonight

Doc26
08-09-2017, 09:34 PM
Hoping for a Tigers win tonight

Yep and if I was to be brutal, a minor 1 week hamstring twinge to Danger to see the Cats out in straight sets,

bornadog
08-09-2017, 09:37 PM
Yep and if I was to be brutal, a minor 1 week hamstring twinge to Danger to see the Cats out in straight sets,

and Selwood trying to duck his head and doing his ankle again. :D

westdog54
08-09-2017, 09:44 PM
The tigers are on tonight. That last sequence of defensive pressure was beautiful to watch.

And as I speak, some flat out lazy Geelong defending brings Richmond a goal.

EasternWest
08-09-2017, 09:54 PM
Lol i thought the same during that quarter. So bad in big games

All the tools, never read the instructions.

bornadog
08-09-2017, 09:57 PM
Tigers wasteful

westdog54
08-09-2017, 09:58 PM
Where would the Cats be without Danger?

Right place, right time.

Topdog
08-09-2017, 10:48 PM
Looks like a grand final for the tigers supporters

The Bulldogs Bite
08-09-2017, 10:50 PM
Come on Tigers - put these handbaggers to the sword

GVGjr
08-09-2017, 10:56 PM
Cracking contest, good luck to the Tiges

G-Mo77
08-09-2017, 11:05 PM
I think they're in the GF. I can't see GWS, Port or WC come to the MCG and win.

Topdog
08-09-2017, 11:05 PM
Lol at Geelong's last 2 efforts at finals footy

Topdog
08-09-2017, 11:06 PM
My goodness Motlop

KT31
08-09-2017, 11:14 PM
My goodness Motlop

Should get a holiday for the tap to Geelong players nether regions as well.

Remi Moses
08-09-2017, 11:49 PM
Richmonds pressure just overwhelmed Geelong .
Hard to believe they were still in it until half time .
Once again they stink it up in a big final . They just don't bat deep enough for mine

LostDoggy
08-09-2017, 11:51 PM
I'll go against the grain... I'll absolutely hate the next two weeks. Stuff Richmond. Absolutely hate them and I consider hate being a very strong word. Stuff channel 7 completely over dusty and the rest of the flogs. Sydney or Adelaide will beat them and I can't wait for it.

LostDoggy
08-09-2017, 11:53 PM
Can't believe Geelong made the top 4. We have completely wasted this year. Depressing.

Eastdog
09-09-2017, 12:01 AM
Can't believe Geelong made the top 4. We have completely wasted this year. Depressing.

Agree Rooner. It really was a wasted year and a weak premiership defence. We need a solid pre season and get motivated again and really be right back challenging for the cup in 2018.

Eastdog
09-09-2017, 12:03 AM
I think they're in the GF. I can't see GWS, Port or WC come to the MCG and win.

GWS the only likely ones but honestly they haven't impressed that much this year. We should have beaten them in Round 6.

bornadog
09-09-2017, 12:06 AM

and we beat the Tigers

Twodogs
09-09-2017, 12:14 AM
Just watched the game , and apparently all is good for the plastics because they won the second half .
Brereton's love for this club is galling . Thought the crows just worked harder and not enough blue collar for the plastic franchise
Happy if the crows get through after the phil Walsh tragedy, and the losses to other clubs .

Yeah the Crows have comeback after a lot of setbacks. I wouldn't mind seeing them salute.

Terry would know.

Was Libba's match up a problem too? Macleod gave Livba a drubbing.

Eastdog
09-09-2017, 12:24 AM
and we beat the Tigers

Yep by 5 points. We beat the Bombers as well by 30 points this year.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2017, 01:03 AM
For a non Bulldogs finals series, the results have been enjoyable enough thus far.

Sedat
09-09-2017, 01:40 AM
Geelol

Sedat
09-09-2017, 01:43 AM
I'll go into bat for Motlop. He's an easy target but at least he can win the ball and tries to be creative with it - granted it looks horrible when he screws up but he has about 12 teammates who are genuine plonkers who cannot even get the ball.

Sedat
09-09-2017, 01:46 AM
Selwood is a poor man's Libba. Only one of then can come back from a syndesmosis injury and completely dominate in September. The other one can only flop around like a dead fish at the slightest opposition contact.

Go_Dogs
09-09-2017, 02:21 AM
All being at the game tonight did was remind me of when we overwhelmed the Hawks last year - relentless, attacking and took care of the game when the moments presented.

Both the Crows and the Tigers are playing with confidence - not my ideal match up, but based on form throughout the year and game style this week, they would be deserving sides. Wonder if both QF winners will lose again and flip the script like last year...

jazzadogs
09-09-2017, 02:36 AM
Chris Scott now has a 2-7 record in finals since 2012 (not including 2011 where he was handed a premiership side). This includes the Isaac Smiss kick after the siren last year, so could easily be 1-8. It makes me very happy.

Twodogs
09-09-2017, 02:48 AM
All being at the game tonight did was remind me of when we overwhelmed the Hawks last year - relentless, attacking and took care of the game when the moments presented.

Both the Crows and the Tigers are playing with confidence - not my ideal match up, but based on form throughout the year and game style this week, they would be deserving sides. Wonder if both QF winners will lose again and flip the script like last year...

I can't believe I'm saying this but I hope Richmond go all the way. I was at the MCG in 1982 when they last played in a Grand Final. GFs with Richmomd in them are huge. If they make it this year's GF will be fun in the lead up and all.

Topdog
09-09-2017, 08:43 AM
I actually said to my mate last year when he called me on grand final morning that i hope Richmond get there so he can experience the week. Looks like he'll be able to.

KT31
09-09-2017, 08:45 AM
I can't believe I'm saying this but I hope Richmond go all the way. I was at the MCG in 1982 when they last played in a Grand Final. GFs with Richmomd in them are huge. If they make it this year's GF will be fun in the lead up and all.

Not sure i could handle it if I had to watch 'Ferret Face Riewoldt's' smug look when he accepted his medal.

kruder
09-09-2017, 09:23 AM

Yeah I agree the tigers played very similar to us last night, pressure was fantastic and just lacked composure early like we have in many finals. They kicked it too long down the line in the first which doesn't suit their set up but were able to rectify when it counted. I found it funny that Hardwick after the game said we need to celebrate the win going into a prelim doesn't happen often etc very much in the mold of us last year and I think a fair few teams have drawn inspiration. Pressure is still king in finals...

Twodogs
09-09-2017, 10:06 AM
Not sure i could handle it if I had to watch 'Ferret Face Riewoldt's' smug look when he accepted his medal.

We will be fine. They won't win dick.

ledge
09-09-2017, 10:11 AM
Richmond are a mirror image of us last year, they look completely focussed as a team and are playing for each other, they won one more game than us last year which got them top 4.
Dare I say it but I think Essendon isn't far behind in the team aspect but I don't think they have it yet to get past the first week, a little similar to us in 2015.
History says you lose a final before going on to win the flag the next year.
Richmond could be one of the rare ones that doesn't.
It's a strange one as i wouldn't mind the tigers winning it but would also have enjoyed watching them go out in straight sets.
Not sure why I don't rate Adelaide they have a massively good forward line.
Sydney maybe coming from to far back is my only concern with them.
No idea how Geelong got second with a two man team.
If port or west coast get any further than week two I will be amazed.

Topdog
09-09-2017, 10:34 AM
I really can't understand the love for Essendon. They don't play as a team at all, they are incredibly selfish and play like a pack of 12 year olds just having fun. Will get smashed today

Bulldog4life
09-09-2017, 10:37 AM
Lol at Geelong's last 2 efforts at finals footy

Before this game Geelong had only won 2 of the last 8 finals. Keep it up Scotty

ledge
09-09-2017, 11:45 AM
I really can't understand the love for Essendon. They don't play as a team at all, they are incredibly selfish and play like a pack of 12 year olds just having fun. Will get smashed today

I don't love them, they are the team I hate the most but Worsfold has done a good job, I don't think you could have expected anymore than what they have done.
And the quote playing like a bunch of 12 year olds having fun is enormous upside ., if the players are having fun they will do the natural first options , pat each other on the back, encourage and grow in confidence which is what they have.
We enjoyed our football last year and look what happened . We didn't this year and it all fell apart.

The Adelaide Connection
09-09-2017, 01:54 PM
Richmond are a mirror image of us last year, they look completely focussed as a team and are playing for each other, they won one more game than us last year which got them top 4.
Dare I say it but I think Essendon isn't far behind in the team aspect but I don't think they have it yet to get past the first week, a little similar to us in 2015.
History says you lose a final before going on to win the flag the next year.
Richmond could be one of the rare ones that doesn't.
It's a strange one as i wouldn't mind the tigers winning it but would also have enjoyed watching them go out in straight sets.
Not sure why I don't rate Adelaide they have a massively good forward line.
Sydney maybe coming from to far back is my only concern with them.
No idea how Geelong got second with a two man team.
If port or west coast get any further than week two I will be amazed.

Richmond won the same amount of games this year as we did in '16 with a very similar For/Against. Last year 15 wins got you 7th, this year 15 and a half got you top.

FWIW no side this year can win as many games as we did last year (19) and we beat every team aside Geelong. Repeat that back when people try to tell you we 'fluked it'.

bornadog
09-09-2017, 03:28 PM
Richmond won the same amount of games this year as we did in '16 with a very similar For/Against. Last year 15 wins got you 7th, this year 15 and a half got you top.

FWIW no side this year can win as many games as we did last year (19) and we beat every team aside Geelong. Repeat that back when people try to tell you we 'fluked it'.
also the brand of footy we played was exciting compared to the finals so far

Topdog
09-09-2017, 05:09 PM
I don't love them, they are the team I hate the most but Worsfold has done a good job, I don't think you could have expected anymore than what they have done.
And the quote playing like a bunch of 12 year olds having fun is enormous upside ., if the players are having fun they will do the natural first options , pat each other on the back, encourage and grow in confidence which is what they have.
We enjoyed our football last year and look what happened . We didn't this year and it all fell apart.

No it isn't. Playing like you are having fun is important but playing as a team is crucial. They have no defensive side to their game at all and the majority of them are GWS style show ponies.

chef
09-09-2017, 05:24 PM
Daniher is a gun. My favourite non bulldog to watch.

jeemak
09-09-2017, 05:42 PM
It's a real no hope game today.

I hate Sydney for their entitlement and sooking, but really hat Essendon because they're Essendon.

jeemak
09-09-2017, 05:47 PM
Is there anything Luke Parker likes more than Luke Parker?

jeemak
09-09-2017, 06:00 PM
Franklin's a gun.

jeemak
09-09-2017, 06:03 PM
Franklin's a gun...

Rocket Science
09-09-2017, 06:04 PM
Buddy's going to comfortably outscore the Windy Hill filth on his own at this rate.

The Underdog
09-09-2017, 06:05 PM
Buddy's going to comfortably outscore the Windy Hill filth on his own at this rate.

On one leg

bulldogtragic
09-09-2017, 06:05 PM
Franklin's a gun.

Can you imagine if we drafted him in lieu of Gryphone, and then getting to cheer a big forward gun like that in our team colours. He's something else all together. Must be great to be a Sydney fan in that regard.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2017, 06:09 PM
And they've got Tippett on $900,000 large doing nothing out of the team. If they can off load him to free up the cap, they get better again.

Rocket Science
09-09-2017, 06:09 PM
Jeez, it'd be crisp if Sydney punish the cheats by triple figures.

Has all the makings of it.

jeemak
09-09-2017, 06:12 PM
Can you imagine if we drafted him in lieu of Gryphone, and then getting to cheer a big forward gun like that in our team colours. He's something else all together. Must be great to be a Sydney fan in that regard.

Franklin wasn't ever getting drafted to the Bulldogs.

KT31
09-09-2017, 06:12 PM

Not sure about triple figures but its getting ugly.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2017, 06:13 PM
Franklin wasn't ever getting drafted to the Bulldogs.

More so, wouldn't it be nice to have a guy like that, doing stuff like he does, in our colours. Must make footy even sweeter.

The Underdog
09-09-2017, 06:14 PM
Well this is surprisingly enjoyable

bulldogtragic
09-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Jeez, it'd be crisp if Sydney punish the cheats by triple figures.

Has all the makings of it.

Fair call. This is men against toddlers stuff.

Rocket Science
09-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Sydney are very good, but this is nothing short of embarrassing from Essendon. Soft, second rate, shouldn't be there.

KT31
09-09-2017, 06:20 PM
With the crap teams that have been dished up so far this weekend, it is just @!#$ing me off more we threw this season away.

The Underdog
09-09-2017, 06:22 PM
Already having visions of Sydney knocking the cats out in straight sets. That'd be sweet.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2017, 06:26 PM
Have Sydney dropped a contested mark?

I love Goddard is the loose man in defence, but isn't defending the contests. Anyone would think he loves cheap possessions and finger pointing at others to do what he won't.

always right
09-09-2017, 06:51 PM
Watching Sydney demolish the bombers I can't help thinking we would have suffered the same fate had we snuck into the eight.

Rocket Science
09-09-2017, 07:03 PM
They're definitely on a bit of a mission.

We'd have been roadkill if we'd snuck in ... much like the Bombres.

Simple pleasures.

Rocket Science
09-09-2017, 07:08 PM
Godard still determined he's going to point his way out of this.

hujsh
09-09-2017, 07:17 PM

Points finger at Goddard: "Point harder!"

Topdog
09-09-2017, 07:18 PM
Essendon playing like a bunch of 12 year olds again

The Doctor
09-09-2017, 07:22 PM

maybe he should point with both hands. see if that works!

ledge
09-09-2017, 07:25 PM

He did !!

Rocket Science
09-09-2017, 07:30 PM

By crikey he's not about to die wondering.

Give it all you've got Pretzels.

always right
09-09-2017, 07:33 PM
Did I just see a bloke in a dogs jumper in the bombers cheer squad?

jeemak
09-09-2017, 07:33 PM

You're really putting the funny stuff together RS, like it.

bornadog
09-09-2017, 07:37 PM
Titus O'Reily‏ @TitusOReily (https://twitter.com/TitusOReily) 6m6 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/TitusOReily/status/906434750063157248)More

Not since a certain Excel spreadsheet has Essendon lost something so important.

Rocket Science
09-09-2017, 07:39 PM
You're really putting the funny stuff together RS, like it.

I'm here all week. Try the veal.

You're too kind.

Rocket Science
09-09-2017, 07:40 PM
Titus O'Reily‏ @TitusOReily (https://twitter.com/TitusOReily) 6m6 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/TitusOReily/status/906434750063157248)More

Not since a certain Excel spreadsheet has Essendon lost something so important.

Now THAT'S funny.

The Underdog
09-09-2017, 07:45 PM
I'm guessing that the umpires from this game will be taking the rest of the season off. They've been woeful

jeemak
09-09-2017, 07:48 PM
I'm here all week. Try the veal.

You're too kind.

You're reminding me of Rodney Dangerfield arriving at the Club Ball in Caddyshack.

Eastdog
09-09-2017, 07:49 PM
All quite one sided finals so far.

Wonder if tonight's game Power v Eagles will be the close one.

Rocket Science
09-09-2017, 07:56 PM
All quite one sided finals so far.

Wonder if tonight's game Power v Eagles will be the close one.

Seeing the Giants, Cats and Bombers all pantsed has put a welcome spring in my step.

Reckon the Power'll put West Coast to bed.

Sedat
09-09-2017, 08:03 PM
Essendon hasn't won any final since 1968 that hasn't been coached by Sheedy. Love that stat.

Happy Days
09-09-2017, 08:09 PM
That was absolutely awesome. The Dons "redemption" story arc is really one of the most disgusting things ever perpetuated by the AFL media, and I'm glad a bullet has been put in it. Especially with such a piss-weak effort as they put in today.

What was Worsfold thinking playing Ambrose on Franklin?

Sedat
09-09-2017, 08:14 PM
For a finals series not involving the Dogs and where all the games have been boring blowouts, I'm really enjoying it thus far.

Sedat
09-09-2017, 08:15 PM
Pretty underwhelming ending to Goddard's movie

Remi Moses
09-09-2017, 08:41 PM
Massive flop from Essendon. This is what you get giving a side a soft draw
You'd be wetting the bed having to play Sydney in the next few weeks

Remi Moses
09-09-2017, 08:41 PM
Someone explain why Hurley doesn't play on the best forward ?

ratsmac
09-09-2017, 09:12 PM
Essendon hasn't won any final since 1968 that hasn't been coached by Sheedy. Love that stat.

Wow. Are you sure? That sounds to good to be true.

Bulldog4life
09-09-2017, 09:18 PM
You have to hand it to Petrie. Has done a good job for the Cokers when everyone thought he was cooked.

Twodogs
09-09-2017, 10:29 PM
With 14.09 to go in the Elimination Final between Port and West Coast Richo just chimed in with "this feels more like an Elimination Final."

On ya Richo!

Webby
09-09-2017, 10:47 PM
With 14.09 to go in the Elimination Final between Port and West Coast Richo just chimed in with "this feels more like an Elimination Final."

On ya Richo!

FMD.... These blokes get paid well, too..!

We need more non-ex-player commentators and pundits coming through..

The Underdog
09-09-2017, 10:49 PM
Jesus, this is a terrible game. Skills are deplorable. West Coast have completely stopped. Just holding on.

KT31
09-09-2017, 10:50 PM
Port suffering from Bulldogs disease, 17 entries for 1-3.

Twodogs
09-09-2017, 10:57 PM
FMD.... These blokes get paid well, too..!

We need more non-ex-player commentators and pundits coming through..

It's weird. If Ling did it (and continued to bang in about a goal review from the third quarter into the last quarter and display a complete lack of understanding of the relevant rule) I'd be almost beside myself with rage but with Richo I find it endearing.

Twodogs
09-09-2017, 11:00 PM

It was gruesomely familiar.

Twodogs
09-09-2017, 11:02 PM
Jesus, this is a terrible game. Skills are deplorable. West Coast have completely stopped. Just holding on.

It's like an episode of Law and Order SVU. It's really awful to watch but easy to keep up with what's going on.

The Underdog
09-09-2017, 11:19 PM
West Coast refuse to move the ball quickly

The Underdog
09-09-2017, 11:25 PM
That deliberate call a minute and a half out was a disgrace.

ratsmac
09-09-2017, 11:28 PM
Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrk. A bloody draw!

Happy Days
09-09-2017, 11:29 PM
My god these teams are a disgrace. It's like they're allergic to winning important matches. Can't wait to hear tomorrow about the "classic" I had the good fortune of witnessing, instead of doing literally anything else.

Anyone who wants to throw anything of substance into getting Gaff should take a good look at his soccer attempt at a "matchwinner".

Eastdog
09-09-2017, 11:30 PM
Down to extra time now

merantau
09-09-2017, 11:30 PM
Port should win this. I wouldn't mind McGovern and Charlie Dixon in our side.

bornadog
09-09-2017, 11:39 PM
Anyone who wants to throw anything of substance into getting Gaff should take a good look at his soccer attempt at a "matchwinner".

I don't understand why players try to kick an oval ball off the ground

Edit: Except that one from Kenndy :D

Rocket Science
09-09-2017, 11:43 PM

Despite having Dixon up there no less who's otherwise had an influential night.

The Underdog
09-09-2017, 11:44 PM
I don't understand why players try to kick an oval ball off the ground

Edit: Except that one from Kenndy :D

If he had of put any pace on it at all it would have scored

The Underdog
09-09-2017, 11:45 PM
GWS must be loving this. They're a monti next week

bornadog
09-09-2017, 11:45 PM
If he had of put any pace on it at all it would have scored

Should have picked it up

bornadog
09-09-2017, 11:50 PM
Stolen

Rocket Science
09-09-2017, 11:51 PM
A rolled gold Toby McLean special from Shuey there.

Pity, cos I reckon Port are a better bet to send GWS packing in straight sets.

bornadog
09-09-2017, 11:52 PM
A rolled gold Toby McLean special from Shuey there.

Pity, cos I reckon Port are a better bet to send GWS packing in straight sets.

I *!*!*!*!en hate Shuey, always have. Forget Toby, this bloke is the King of doing what he did.

The Underdog
09-09-2017, 11:52 PM
An amazing end to a poor game. It took extra time for any urgency to enter the game. Power would be spewing, they threw that one away.

Sedat
09-09-2017, 11:54 PM
I *!*!*!*!en hate Shuey, always have. Forget Toby, this bloke is the King of doing what he did.
He milked it but it was a really shit tackle by Polec - free there every day of the week.

merantau
09-09-2017, 11:55 PM
12.6 to 10.16 says it all. Port unlucky to lose to a 50/50 free kick though.

Remi Moses
09-09-2017, 11:59 PM
Definite free , but hate how players lower their bodies to earn a free.
West Coast will get flogged next week . Port squandered it
Petrie has been massive for them, and that moron Greg Denham bagged Simpson unmercifully for recruiting him.

Sedat
10-09-2017, 12:01 AM
Petrie has been massive for them, and that moron Greg Denham bagged Simpson unmercifully for recruiting him.
Petrie has been fantastic all season. Was massive tonight and schooled Ryder.

bornadog
Definite free , but hate how players lower their bodies to earn a free.
West Coast will get flogged next week . Port squandered it

Greg is a West Coast supporter

bulldogtragic
Usually that shit is reserved for us. Happy someone else got a dose of it for a change.

Happy Days
10-09-2017, 12:03 AM
Petrie has been fantastic all season. Was massive tonight and schooled Ryder.

His form turnaround has been flummoxingly stunning. Looked the most finished of anyone that has ever played last year, but truthfully has been excellent. Vardy has been pretty good too.

We could probably take something from that.

bornadog
10-09-2017, 12:05 AM
He milked it but it was a really shit tackle by Polec - free there every day of the week.

Rules were changed this year to stop that, it should have been play on.

merantau
10-09-2017, 12:06 AM
Sadly Dixon, with 3.6 played both hero and villain. He definitely willed them back into the game and kept them in it but his missed were costly in the end.
So GWS will win next week and Sydney will smash Geelong.

ratsmac
10-09-2017, 12:09 AM

I thought the umpire took a moment to think about it and then blew the whistle. Shuey played for it for sure but Polec almost took his head off which forced the umpires hand....or whistle.
Correct call IMO

bornadog
10-09-2017, 12:20 AM
I thought the umpire took a moment to think about it and then blew the whistle. Shuey played for it for sure but Polec almost took his head off which forced the umpires hand....or whistle.
Correct call IMO

I agree it was tough on the umpire.

Sedat
10-09-2017, 12:22 AM
Rule is idiotic and unworkable, like most rules in the AFL. How can an umpire not pay it in real time? They see instantaneous arm around the neck and have to pay it. I'm very comfortable with it being paid in that instance, much as I hate the tactic.

bornadog
10-09-2017, 12:23 AM
Rule is idiotic and unworkable, like most rules in the AFL. How can an umpire not pay it in real time? They see instantaneous arm around the neck and have to pay it.

I agree it is hard, and the AFL make it even greyer

EasternWest
10-09-2017, 12:33 AM
His form turnaround has been flummoxingly stunning. Looked the most finished of anyone that has ever played last year, but truthfully has been excellent. Vardy has been pretty good too.

We could probably take something from that.

Message received. Someone call Minson.

Dry Rot
10-09-2017, 12:55 AM

I reckon this game shows the difference between a close game and a good game.

No extra time, but the PF last year at Spotless was a much better game.

westdog54
10-09-2017, 01:33 AM
I just watched the free kick for the first time.

That's a free every day of the week. At no point does he drop his knees. It was a terrible tackle and the right decision was made.

Twodogs
10-09-2017, 01:37 AM
I reckon this game shows the difference between a close game and a good game.

No extra time, but the PF last year at Spotless was a much better game.

Some of the kicking for goal was deplorable

KT31
10-09-2017, 10:04 AM
Free kick everyday of the week, t was a very sloppy tackle.
It was Ports Bulldogesque third quarter that cost them, they dominated and had no impact on the scoreboard.

chef
10-09-2017, 10:59 AM
Was a good tackle for mine but he did the old Selwood/McLean trick. I'd be pretty pissed if i was a Port fan to go out like that.

westdog54
10-09-2017, 11:09 AM

On ya Richo!

I'll play devil's advocate here:

He may have been speaking in comparison to the abysmal contest up in Sydney.

westdog54
10-09-2017, 11:11 AM
Looking back this morning I still don't know how Eric Mackenzie didn't concede a behind at the death.

That was an astounding piece of defence.

KT31
10-09-2017, 11:18 AM
Looking back this morning I still don't know how Eric Mackenzie didn't concede a behind at the death.

That was an astounding piece of defence.

Absolutely brilliant piece of defence, such quick thinking to not concede a point.

mjp
10-09-2017, 01:48 PM
I just watched the free kick for the first time.

That's a free every day of the week. At no point does he drop his knees. It was a terrible tackle and the right decision was made.

He did lift his arm though to force the tackle high. i guess it is a free kick but Shuey contributed to it.

Funny that after what has been such a good season we have seen such a terrible first week of finals games. The only close one was of a very poor standard and it was like soccer in that the clearly better team on the night lost the game!

Flamethrower
10-09-2017, 02:21 PM
Port can hardly complain about the umpiring - they had the rub of the green all night, apart from a free kick against Ryder when umpire 11 turn his back on Port's AA ruckman and then claimed Paddy hadn't nominated. This nominating BS has to go - makes the game a farce.

Port had plenty of chances to ice the game - especially Chokin' Charlie.

macca
10-09-2017, 02:23 PM
Was hoping port was going to win as they would've smashed gws. They wasted sooooo many chances . I hate the ducking into the tackle head high free kick rule. The reply shows shuey turn his head ducked into the tackle, but in real time it was a free kick any day of the week

Nontheless fantastic game to watch 2 teams bungle , fumble and stumble their final chances, really did not care who won either way. The eagles would be exhausted.

Dean cox must be a good ruck coach as how the hell did he manage to turn Vardy and Petrie into decent rucks. They smashed Ryder tonight.

The eagles midfield will be tested next year no priddis(played well tongiht especially with his set shot) or mitchell

Interesting Shuey mentioned in interview set shot goal kicking is something they practice a lot

macca
10-09-2017, 02:29 PM
Was hoping port was going to win as they would've smashed gws. They wasted sooooo many chances having 26 scoring shots to 18 for the Eagles.. I hate the ducking into the tackle head high free kick rule. The replay shows shuey turn his head ducked into the tackle, but in real time it was a free kick any day of the week

Nontheless fantastic game to watch 2 teams bungle , fumble and stumble their final chances, really did not care who won either way. The eagles would be exhausted.

Dean cox must be a good ruck coach as how the hell did he manage to turn Vardy and Petrie into decent rucks. They smashed Ryder tonight.

Topdog
10-09-2017, 02:31 PM

Yeah I thought he was. As in "wow finally we have a game that feels like a final at all" but more so an elimination one as opposed to the witches hats vs Sydney

bornadog
10-09-2017, 06:56 PM
Drops the knees . AFL at the start of the year indicated this is play on.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJWDUkyVYAAZSpD.jpg

comrade
10-09-2017, 07:30 PM
It's a dumb rule. Either you tackle below the neck or you don't.

bornadog
10-09-2017, 07:40 PM

I remember Tony LIberatore explaining his tackling method, and he said he watched the hips. Too many tacklers do tackle incorrectly.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJWUqzAUIAAwVMS.jpg

However, the AFL has once more made a ruling then changing the interpretation. Today they came out and said the decision was correct. Yet at the start of the year it was to be play on.

Is ducking a free kick?

ledge
10-09-2017, 08:59 PM
To be honest I don't see it as he is bending his knees he is just running and the player has got him around the neck and has pulled him back that's why his leg is bent.
Free kick as I see it .

Twodogs
11-09-2017, 08:29 AM

Yeah I thought he was. As in "wow finally we have a game that feels like a final at all" but more so an elimination one as opposed to the witches hats vs Sydney

Yep. Thinking it through I can see what you mean. You guys might be right.

bulldogsthru&thru
11-09-2017, 09:33 AM
So it was definitely the week off that led to Geelong and GWS losing in the prelims last year.....

Topdog
11-09-2017, 09:40 AM
So it was definitely the week off that led to Geelong and GWS losing in the prelims last year.....

Yes, which means that Geelong will definitely win this week against the same team at the same venue where they lost because of the bye

jeemak
11-09-2017, 11:15 AM
If you tackle around the waist and the person you're tackling contorts their body making your tackle slip to below the knees resulting in a trip, should it be holding the ball?

Footballers have been bending their knees manoeuvring in traffic forever, do they all have to run around as upright as they possibly can now, so as to ensure a tackle doesn't slip over the shoulders?

It's a bonkers rule change. If you're going to try and pin the arms by tackling well above the elbow then you risk tackling high, and so be it.

bornadog
11-09-2017, 12:32 PM
If you tackle around the waist and the person you're tackling contorts their body making your tackle slip to below the knees resulting in a trip, should it be holding the ball?

Footballers have been bending their knees maneuvering in traffic forever, do they all have to run around as upright as they possibly can now, so as to ensure a tackle doesn't slip over the shoulders?

It's a bonkers rule change. If you're going to try and pin the arms by tackling well above the elbow then you risk tackling high, and so be it.

I agree, once more a knee jerk reaction without thinking of the consequences of changing a rule.

Ozza
11-09-2017, 12:47 PM
You could argue over the Shuey decision all day - but either way, its very borderline and was paid in real time - not on slow mo replay.

My reaction at the time was that finally the eagles actually had a 50/50 go their way. Port can't be complaining about the umpiring really, they were on the better end of it all night (as were Adelaide at the same venue on Thursday).

I didn't expect they game to be so entertaining - thought it would be the snorefest of the 1st round - but couldn't ask for much more than a kick after the siren in extra time.

Tough to see the Eagles coming up that well after a full on contest with 10 minutes extra time and so many older players having to get themselves up again. Amazing amount of running that Gaff does - how many times was he involved in the back pocket, and then moments later in the eagles forward line.

bornadog
11-09-2017, 01:18 PM
You could argue over the Shuey decision all day - but either way, its very borderline and was paid in real time - not on slow mo replay.

My reaction at the time was that finally the eagles actually had a 50/50 go their way. Port can't be complaining about the umpiring really, they were on the better end of it all night (as were Adelaide at the same venue on Thursday).

I didn't expect they game to be so entertaining - thought it would be the snorefest of the 1st round - but couldn't ask for much more than a kick after the siren in extra time.

Tough to see the Eagles coming up that well after a full on contest with 10 minutes extra time and so many older players having to get themselves up again. Amazing amount of running that Gaff does - how many times was he involved in the back pocket, and then moments later in the eagles forward line.

I can't believe WC are into the second round of finals. They were not impressive all year round.

Topdog
11-09-2017, 02:18 PM
I can't believe WC are into the second round of finals. They were not impressive all year round.

Improved on last year ;)

always right
11-09-2017, 02:25 PM

Footballers have been bending their knees manoeuvring in traffic forever, do they all have to run around as upright as they possibly can now, so as to ensure a tackle doesn't slip over the shoulders?

Disagree. One is trying to escape the tackle whilst the other is trying to create a free kick.

comrade
11-09-2017, 02:32 PM
Disagree. One is trying to escape the tackle whilst the other is trying to create a free kick.

You could argue that Shuey/Selwood/McLean are also trying to escape the tackle. The opposition arm either catches them high or slips over the head entirely, allowing them to get free. Players need to tackle better and not give the opponent an opportunity to escape or draw a free. The rule as it stands is currently unworkable.

Sedat
11-09-2017, 03:42 PM
In a sea of dumb rules the AFL have recently introduced as a response to other issues, this is probably the dumbest. In real time it is absolutely impossible to detect a tackling arm initially starting at the bicep and ending up around the neck. The game is breakneck speed and all the umpire will see is the tackle around the neck.

The only way to stop this scourge of diving/shrugging/arm raising/lowering the body is for the AFL to publicly to name and shame all the players that do it (and there are 50+ players that do it regularly). They should be identified as part of the MRP every Monday and given a formal warning. Do it again and they get a fine. Do it a 3rd time and they get a week. I can't see any other way to stop this scourge.

jeemak
11-09-2017, 04:04 PM
Why don't players tackle around the waist like they used to? Once again, if you go for a high armed tackle you take the risk of slipping high and giving away a free kick.

Shrugging or going lower is a response to a changed tackling strategy, why do we need to change the rules to adapt to a changed tackling strategy?

bornadog
11-09-2017, 04:07 PM
Why don't players tackle around the waist like they used to? Once again, if you go for a high armed tackle you take the risk of slipping high and giving away a free kick.

Shrugging or going lower is a response to a changed tackling strategy, why do we need to change the rules to adapt to a changed tackling strategy?

It was nice to see Selwood, try shrugging the Buddy tackle and do his ankle, then last Friday tried the same and ended up with a whack to the nose. No frees in both incidents.

always right
11-09-2017, 04:16 PM
You could argue that Shuey/Selwood/McLean are also trying to escape the tackle. The opposition arm either catches them high or slips over the head entirely, allowing them to get free. Players need to tackle better and not give the opponent an opportunity to escape or draw a free. The rule as it stands is currently unworkable.

So if they manage to shrug the tackle it's play on and they get the benefit of breaking free. They don't need a free kick.

Ozza
11-09-2017, 04:28 PM

Because if the arms are free, you aren't stopping the player from moving the ball on to their team mate via handball.
There are plenty of situations where players would rather risk giving away a free, than letting the handball get out.

jeemak
11-09-2017, 05:32 PM
Because if the arms are free, you aren't stopping the player from moving the ball on to their team mate via handball.
There are plenty of situations where players would rather risk giving away a free, than letting the handball get out.

Bingo. So if you want to lay the perfect tackle and lock the ball in, you risk giving away a free kick for too high should it slip up above the shoulders. If you want to negate the player but lower the risk of giving away a free kick, you aim lower.

A player lowering their centre of gravity or raising arms when tackled isn't instigating high contact - it's the tackler who's doing that. Lowering your centre of gravity enables you to dispose of the ball more effectively, it also gives you options of going low or high with the handpass in congestion.

Why the AFL gave into the hysteria is beyond me. Now all we have is more hysteria.

Twodogs
11-09-2017, 06:15 PM

I agree, once more a knee jerk reaction without thinking of the consequences of changing a rule.

Let's just ban tackling and give them tackle belts. At least it would be adjudicated correctly.

Improved on last year ;)

That's because we weren't there to take them out. The others ganged up on us to keep us out of the finals because they were scared of us.

Bingo. So if you want to lay the perfect tackle and lock the ball in, you risk giving away a free kick for too high should it slip up above the shoulders. If you want to negate the player but lower the risk of giving away a free kick, you aim lower.

A player lowering their centre of gravity or raising arms when tackled isn't instigating high contact - it's the tackler who's doing that. Lowering your centre of gravity enables you to dispose of the ball more effectively, it also gives you options of going low or high with the handpass in congestion.

Why the AFL gave into the hysteria is beyond me. Now all we have is more hysteria.

The tackler who tackles high wants to do everything (impair disposal and tackle) at the same time but that was never the idea. Is it a little more difficult learning how to pin a tackle around the waste properly too do you think?

Twodogs
11-09-2017, 06:18 PM

In the old days the motion of being swung around was usually sufficient to knock the ball free and get dropping the ball but now players are better at hanging on to it.

ledge
11-09-2017, 06:33 PM
Players are Told to encourage the tackle so it leaves a player over the top to handball to. Thus creating the higher tackle to counter the arms being free.
I believe Geelong started that idea like the Hawks created the Shepherd the man on the mark so the player with the free kick could run past.
It's called evolution and countering opposition tactics.

Ozza
13-09-2017, 01:44 PM
One thing I hate, is this notion of "Oh you've gotta reward the tackler".

I'd prefer the 'benefit of the doubt' going to the bloke who is making the play, rather than often rewarding the player who has been second to the ball.

Eastdog
15-09-2017, 05:15 PM
AFL 2017 Week 2 Semi Finals

Friday September 15 at the MCG (7:50pm)

Second Semi Final: Geelong Cats v Sydney Swans

Saturday September 16 at Spotless Stadium (7:25pm)

First Semi Final: GWS Giants v West Coast

jeemak
15-09-2017, 05:27 PM
One thing I hate, is this notion of "Oh you've gotta reward the tackler".

I'd prefer the 'benefit of the doubt' going to the bloke who is making the play, rather than often rewarding the player who has been second to the ball.

Agree 100%.

bornadog
15-09-2017, 05:29 PM
Very wet here in East Melbourne, have had lightning and thunder and pelting rain. Could make a difference.

kruder
15-09-2017, 08:49 PM
Ahh bummer Ling and Carey are back, have ruined Friday night footy for me this year.

Rocket Science
15-09-2017, 08:53 PM
Straight Sets Cats.

Make it happen Bloods.

Topdog
15-09-2017, 09:12 PM
Ling commentating Dangerfield getting soft frees. Is there anything worse?