PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Trengove-welcome to the Bulldogs.

Pages : [1] 2

jazzadogs
05-09-2017, 11:25 PM
So with it sounding like there's a fair chance we're going to pick up Trengove via free agency, let's have a look at him.

Career to date

Selected with pick 22 in the 2008 National Draft, he will be 27 next year and has 144 goals (22 goals) to his game. He won the Port Adelaide best and fairest playing as a key defender in his third season in 2011, in a year that he had also been promoted to the leadership group. He is 197cm and 97kg which has prompted his use as a makeshift ruckman in recent years, but with the return of Paddy Ryder he has found himself on the outer and pushed to defence.

He has showed a lot of loyalty to Port Adelaide, being one of the players leading the charge to show loyalty in the Primus years. This seems to be the major reason behind his long term big money deal, as the club was desperate to retain it's best players.

He played the first 19 games of this season before being dropped in round 21, averaging 13 disposals (61% efficiency), 3 marks, 1 goal, 3 tackles and 2 clearances. All of these numbers are slightly down from his 2016 season where he played as a ruckman and was therefore more involved in the play.

Role at the Bulldogs

Hopefully his arrival would free up Tom Boyd to play as a permanent forward, potentially with Trengove and Roughead rotating between ruck and full-back. Based on the stats he certainly had his best year when playing in the ruck, but would seem to be fairly equivalent to Roughead in this role. Does he push Roughead from the number one spot? Does he slot into our best backline (Morris, Trengove, Adams; JJ, Cordy, another HBF)?

What does this mean for the players whose role he would be taking - Campbell, Roberts, Collins, Cloke?

Cost

He's a free agent so we shouldn't need to trade (although Port can technically match the offer and then force a trade). There's talk of a four year contract - this seems like overkill to me, but is consistent with our recent approach. A three year deal at 400-450,000 a year would be my goal.

So what are poster's thoughts? Are we happy to be linked with him? Are we happy with the proposed contract length?

Throughandthrough
05-09-2017, 11:30 PM
Definite yes for me

GVGjr
05-09-2017, 11:33 PM
I don't mind us being linked to him. He would fit into the back line pretty well and provide some support in the ruck when needed.

He's got some good qualities and would provide some solid leadership. I talked to Choco Williams once and he thought the world of Trengove.

ledge
05-09-2017, 11:34 PM
If Adams doesn't get injured I can't see Trengrove playing full back, can he be a ruck forward. ? We tend to lack a ruck who can take marks up forward forcing us to turn our tall forward into a ruck.
Be great if he could play CHF or the bloke who can compete or take that mark from our now famous bomb it in as much as possible game.

Doc26
05-09-2017, 11:42 PM
So long as we don't break the bank with it, may be up to 500k per season given latest TPP increase, then yes for me.

I like that it capitalises on Free Agency in a year when we won't be affected by sacrificing any compensation for any of our own FAs.

I like the leadership that he should bring and most importantly the flexibility that he offers as a key position utility type. His age is spot on and given that we were so undersize this season in defence it is an area that he should address for us in some way going into 2018.

jeemak
05-09-2017, 11:45 PM
$450K p.a. over four is a pittance for a versatile tall. I want him because he's better than anyone else we have who can be counted upon to either stay on the park or not retire next year, and if we pitch at $450K p.a. we're not going to get him.

If he's wanting $550K p.a. over four as has been reported then he's probably getting good advice. At that amount we should sign him up.

kruder
05-09-2017, 11:50 PM
$450K p.a. over four is a pittance for a versatile tall. I want him because he's better than anyone else we have who can be counted upon to either stay on the park or not retire next year, and if we pitch at $450K p.a. we're not going to get him.

If he's wanting $550K p.a. over four as has been reported then he's probably getting good advice. At that amount we should sign him up.

4 years for a player coming off a poor year and ending in the reserves? Wow i would love to play in your side.

jazzadogs
05-09-2017, 11:54 PM
https://youtu.be/5qEGHyicHUM

Set shot technique looks poor. He'll fit right in.

KT31
05-09-2017, 11:56 PM
As stated in other threads it a yes from me, I see a fair bit of upside and very little down.
Fills a much needed gap, has been in the leadership group and seems to be of good character and his stint in the ressies this season should only inspire him to give us 100% and prove Port wrong.

bornadog
05-09-2017, 11:58 PM
4 years for a player coming off a poor year and ending in the reserves? Wow i would love to play in your side.

So I take it is another negative for you?

jeemak
05-09-2017, 11:59 PM

Don't get upset with me for what the market determines K.

If I had my way them and all y'all would be on the breadline, but it isn't to be.

GVGjr
06-09-2017, 03:18 AM

How have you determined he's had a poor season?
Also he got dropped very late in the season, plenty of players get dropped for a week or two.

bulldogtragic
06-09-2017, 08:58 AM
Imagine a world where we are fit:

B: Wood Trengrove Morris
HB: JJ Cordy Suckling/Williams/Webb etc

That means Young & Adams could play forward, incidentally where they played their junior footy. Perhaps JMac, Dal & Bevo think we have a really good potential KPF on the list already and we can take out two birds with one stone by getting an experienced KPD for defence and also moving someone forward who they think might bloom there. If this is close to the truth, then it's a good move.

The Doctor
06-09-2017, 09:43 AM
Seems a perfect fit for our defence to me

LostDoggy
06-09-2017, 09:49 AM
I think $450-$500k over 3 yrs is fine.

Would much rather have Trengrove over Schoenmakers which I cannot believe we were chasing him.
Trengrove will help with those really tall forwards who we don't always have someone to match up on.

KT31
06-09-2017, 10:02 AM
I think $450 over 3 yrs is fine.

Would much rather have Trengrove over Schoenmakers which I cannot believe we were chasing him.
Trengrove will help with those really tall forwards who we don't always have someone to match up on.

In todays market I imagine it will be a fair bit more, as we know these blokes don't grow trees.

bornadog
06-09-2017, 10:18 AM
In todays market I imagine it will be a fair bit more, as we know these blokes don't grow trees.

Not sure if his family are farming stock :D

I agree if we can get him for around that $500k mark, he would be a good addition. He is just about to turn 27, so he should be at his peak.

bornadog
06-09-2017, 10:49 AM
Mark Stevens tweet:

Jackson Trengove to the Dogs, odds shortening. Major shock now if not at kennel next year under free agency ...

Mofra
06-09-2017, 10:58 AM
He'll lose 3-4 kgs (back to his pre-2016 weight) and play predominantly back, which I like.

He'll probably be our no 1 defender and will cost us nothing in picks, for me it's a yes. Given we have chased tall backmen the past few trading periods it's clearly a position we need help in and Trengove can take the monsters leaving Zaine to play a legitimate CHB role which means Morris can play mid-sized and if Adams is in the side he can play intercept backman or as a leading forward.

Collins is barely ready, Roberts has gone backwards and Young is incredibly raw so Trengove makes our team better for no cost at the trade table. A no-brainer.

bornadog
06-09-2017, 11:02 AM
He'll lose 3-4 kgs (back to his pre-2016 weight) and play predominantly back, which I like.

He'll probably be our no 1 defender and will cost us nothing in picks, for me it's a yes. Given we have chased tall backmen the past few trading periods it's clearly a position we need help in and Trengove can take the monsters leaving Zaine to play a legitimate CHB role which means Morris can play mid-sized and if Adams is in the side he can play intercept backman or as a leading forward.
Collins is barely ready, Roberts has gone backwards and Young is incredibly raw so Trengove makes our team better for no cost at the trade table. A no-brainer.

Sounds good to me. Do you think we would still chase a ruckman to help out till English is ready?

chef
06-09-2017, 11:04 AM
Would allow Adams to play forward too.

SlimPickens
06-09-2017, 11:09 AM
Would allow Adams to play forward too.

Which gives us some genuine flexibility much like McGovern at west coast.

Topdog
06-09-2017, 11:15 AM
Seems a perfect fit for our defence to me

Yep just a real no nonsense free agent signing for me.

bulldogtragic
06-09-2017, 11:15 AM
Which gives us some genuine flexibility much like McGovern at west coast.

Which in turn allows Adams to go into defence 5 minutes a quarter to cover Trengrove while he rucks (if he's our second ruckman). Which means Tom Boyd gets a lot more time forward.

Trengrove seems to create a domino effect of good things.

bornadog
06-09-2017, 11:28 AM
Which in turn allows Adams to go into defence 5 minutes a quarter to cover Trengrove while he rucks (if he's our second ruckman). Which means Tom Boyd gets a lot more time forward.

So this means, we have given up on Lever, or we still chase him and see Trengrove as a Ruck/defender ?

Doc26
06-09-2017, 11:29 AM

But the downside is that we on Woof are going to completey lose our minds on whether it's Trengrove or Trengove.

bulldogtragic
06-09-2017, 11:29 AM
So this means, we have given up on Lever.

After signing Morris last week, you'd have to think so.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-09-2017, 11:39 AM
If Adams stays fit he'll be one of the most important members of our side, particularly if we (seemingly) land Trengove.

Trengove's not worth 600k IMO and I'd rather 3 years than 4, but I do like that his addition frees up Adams to become our McGovern.

Needs to drop 4-5kgs and become a key defender again though - currently too top heavy/ala ruckman-esque.

ledge
06-09-2017, 11:51 AM
Whats his injury history ? Just curious .
Does he have any and has he had any major ones ?

Doc26
06-09-2017, 12:02 PM

He has had quite a history of injuries from foot, ankle, knee, hamstring, shoulder although I haven't heard of much over the past couple of seasons.

A quote from The Advertiser in 2015:

PORT Adelaide has lost pivotal defender Jackson Trengove for the rest of the pre-season.

The key backman’s wretched run with injury took another turn after he was advised by doctors to have surgery this week on his left shoulder.

And from his Bio:

After arriving at the club at the end of 2008 with severe knee and hamstring injuries, Trengove spent the entirety of 2009 getting his body right.

KT31
06-09-2017, 12:03 PM
If Adams stays fit he'll be one of the most important members of our side, particularly if we (seemingly) land Trengove.

Trengove's not worth 600k IMO and I'd rather 3 years than 4, but I do like that his addition frees up Adams to become our McGovern.

Needs to drop 4-5kgs and become a key defender again though - currently too top heavy/ala ruckman-esque.

Its a big if at the moment, after being on the list now for two years he is running on par with Tom Williams.

bulldogtragic
06-09-2017, 12:06 PM
Its a big if at the moment, after being on the list now for two years he is running on par with Tom Williams.

More like Higgins I reckon. His two preseasons have been great on the track from club updates. Hopefully the club learn from SH, don't say anything about his preseason effort/form.

Axe Man
06-09-2017, 12:10 PM

His season game totals from 2010 to 2017 are: 19, 22, 20, 17, 20, 15, 21, 19*

So he's never missed any major chunks of games since debuting.

ledge
06-09-2017, 12:27 PM
His season game totals from 2010 to 2017 are: 19, 22, 20, 17, 20, 15, 21, 19*

So he's never missed any major chunks of games since debuting.

That's impressive, I am in the for camp.

Guido
06-09-2017, 12:48 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-01/dogs-early-frontrunners-to-lure-port-utility-home

"The leadership group member is on a lucrative contract at Port believed to be worth more than $600,000 a season"

Goes on to say the offers should be mid-500s, which I'd be ok with, but if he's already getting over $600k, there's a 20% increase in the cap coming, there's a typical "overs" element to pry anyone out of a club via FA (and to not make the holding club's decision to equal that offer as a restricted free agent a no brainer), and couple it with our propensity to be the highest bidder when others are also interested, I'm a touch concerned on what the offer may end up being.

Happy to pay a premium in order to save the trade/draft pick(s) cost, but not crazy overs. Tentative yes from me, depending on no silly contract.

Webby
06-09-2017, 12:52 PM
I thought we'd offered $550k for four years. That's a haircut for him over two, but a good fit for him from a security viewpoint.

He's serviceable and durable. Fits the bill. He's also from the same junior club and school as Scotty West. A local kid. Works on many angles.

Guido
06-09-2017, 01:00 PM
I thought we'd offered $550k for four years.
Essentially the equivalent of $450k in today's cap terms - I hope that's right, but again, have this uneasy feeling we might hear some other crazy figures thrown around down the line.

Happy Days
06-09-2017, 01:21 PM
I think that liking this move because it means Adams can go forward is questionable at best, but whatever. I don't wanna bury the guy before he even pulls a jumper on, but I'm not a fan and think he is severely limited as an AFL footballer.

However, seeing as he's tall I'm willing to wait it out and see how it goes. Four years is overs though.

LostDoggy
06-09-2017, 02:41 PM
I think this is a big tick given the gaps filled and depth offered and the low trade cost.

We still need a significant trade or two though. Silky, fast midfielder please.

Mofra
06-09-2017, 02:56 PM
Sounds good to me. Do you think we would still chase a ruckman to help out till English is ready?
For mine the priority is keeping a first round pick this year, but if one is available cheaply than yes I would.

If the Stef Martin - Cox to Lions - Crameri to Pies rumours are true that would be ideal. Martin has at least 2 years left, perhaps 3. He's the perfect age to pick up an AFL standard ruckman.

Otherwise, Baulderstone or someone similar can provide cover for a few years and when English is ready we have a 25-26 year old ruckman perfect to trade 'for more opportunity'.

kruder
06-09-2017, 03:49 PM
So I take it is another negative for you?

4 years is a long time very generous, I like structurally what he can bring but he's a huge risk at 27. I understand you have to pay overs in the FA market but I'm more worried about years than cash. It does make the Roberts 2 year extension even more baffling.

Topdog
06-09-2017, 04:26 PM
4 years is a long time very generous, I like structurally what he can bring but he's a huge risk at 27. I understand you have to pay overs in the FA market but I'm more worried about years than cash. It does make the Roberts 2 year extension even more baffling.

How is 27 a huge risk? At end of 4 years (still a rumour at this stage) he will be 31. Not many retire at 31.

Bulldog Joe
06-09-2017, 04:42 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-01/dogs-early-frontrunners-to-lure-port-utility-home

"The leadership group member is on a lucrative contract at Port believed to be worth more than $600,000 a season"

Goes on to say the offers should be mid-500s, which I'd be ok with, but if he's already getting over $600k, there's a 20% increase in the cap coming, there's a typical "overs" element to pry anyone out of a club via FA (and to not make the holding club's decision to equal that offer as a restricted free agent a no brainer), and couple it with our propensity to be the highest bidder when others are also interested, I'm a touch concerned on what the offer may end up being.

Happy to pay a premium in order to save the trade/draft pick(s) cost, but not crazy overs. Tentative yes from me, depending on no silly contract.

Port were in trouble last year with the cap and tried to offload Hartlett for cap relief.

With Wines and Powell-Pepper they have talent needing/receiving a pay rise as well. I don't think they can pay Trengove anywhere near his last contract.

kruder
06-09-2017, 04:43 PM
How is 27 a huge risk? At end of 4 years (still a rumour at this stage) he will be 31. Not many retire at 31.

Have you looked up his current form? Thats all I can go on I mean who on this blog has watched him really that closely? How many players play well at 31? Is Cloke getting any better?

My Adelaide mate who I rate as astute, reckons he is too slow to play on the key forwards and not tall enough for the ruck, serviceable was his statement. Its just a question does a serviceable player demand a 4 year contract?

The Bulldogs Bite
06-09-2017, 05:24 PM
Have you looked up his current form? Thats all I can go on I mean who on this blog has watched him really that closely? How many players play well at 31? Is Cloke getting any better?

My Adelaide mate who I rate as astute, reckons he is too slow to play on the key forwards and not tall enough for the ruck, serviceable was his statement. Its just a question does a serviceable player demand a 4 year contract?

It's a resounding no from me and your friend's observations are precisely what I share.

Despite having clear limitations as a player, I can see the appeal and agree structurally he can make us a better side, but if we're paying 600K @ 4 years then we're overpaying for a good ordinary player.

Still unsure why we didn't target Frost a couple of years ago - suited us athletically, young and was cheap.

Mofra
06-09-2017, 05:31 PM
Port were in trouble last year with the cap and tried to offload Hartlett for cap relief.

With Wines and Powell-Pepper they have talent needing/receiving a pay rise as well. I don't think they can pay Trengove anywhere near his last contract.
Not to mention Lobbe running around in the SANFL on decent coin for a former VC.

Geelong chased Hartlett hard too IIRC, Harlett said no because he was still under contract with Port.

Twodogs
06-09-2017, 05:52 PM

Not me. People have been talking about him as a potential recruit now for a couple of years so I made a mental note to watch him the next Port game I saw but I never did. I even thought he played and kicked a goal against us in Ballarat until someone on here told me he didn't.

Topdog
06-09-2017, 06:03 PM

No one gets better at 31 but that is completely separate to them playing well at 31, which plenty do.

Too slow to play on key forwards? So are we only talking about Buddy as a key forward?

Yes I've watched him and Port quite a lot this year and he has been better than any KPD at the Bulldogs in 2017.

Got dropped after a hammering vs Adelaide.

whythelongface
06-09-2017, 06:24 PM
I think he will be a good fit for us. He is the type of player that we need and fits into Bevo's criteria of being able to fill a number of roles.

bulldogtragic
06-09-2017, 08:31 PM
I'm trying to over think this by involving JMac & Bevo's ruck philosophies.

We know Bevo is trying forge an advantage for his side by revolutionising the ruck. At times not even have rucks in contests, or running Tom Boyd into the ground, refusing to select Tom Campbell and worse yet rucking Bonts. In an AFL podcast this year Damrymple said they've had chats (Bevo, JMac & Dal) about the ruck position and what the AFEL might do like bringing in the 'last touched' rule and eliminate boundary throw ins. That could render rucks almost redundant, or such a workload that one ruck can do it. Dalrymple also was adamant with time and development Tom Boyd will be an 'elite key forward'. So there's debate about what can be done between these management guys.

The 'new' conventional thinking is one ruckman and a ruck/forward. Tom Boyd being the ruck/forward, despite this distracting him from developing into the 'elite key forward'. English is a super talent with time.

So I wonder if the effort to land Trengove is something of a sweet spot in a venn diagram for the 3 leaders wishes:

(1) We select a first ruck each game, if fit/uninjured,
(2) We don't have a ruck/forward because our really good tall forwards are well, outside Boyd, not existent for this role and recruiting one will cost a heap,
(3) But we have a good supply of tall defenders (Roberts, Collins & Morris re-signing), some who can play forward (Adams, Cordy, Young)
(4) So we go for Trengove as a ruck/defender to fulfill the second ruck duties (at a cost under a ruck/forward)
(5) We use one of Cordy/Adams/Young as tall forwards from game to game
(6) When Trengrove rucks, the above player covers his man
(7) Meaning we keep Tom Boyd up forward to develop into an 'elite key forward' and don't rush English in. We can also see under match pressure whether Adams or Young can develop into key forward

So,

Dalrymple is happy that the talent he still sees in Boyd & English developing
Bevo gets the ultimate flexibility he so desires, across defence, attack and on ball
JMac gets to make an acquisition as a free agent in a year where we have no compo reduction (ie. losing a FA)

Seems all the three leaders get what they want, and they're the same, as I say in a Venn diagram sweet spot. Plus Boyd & English get what they need. So it seems great news all round, except for maybe Campbell or Roughy.

divvydan
06-09-2017, 09:10 PM
With the new CBA passed earlier this year, the ave salary for an AFL player is a little over $370k. This includes a lot of first and second year players on base amounts, so in reality, the ave salary will be closer to something like $450k for players who have played 4+ years. Given that and the fact that you always tend to pay a little more to get a player to move clubs (exceptions like Cloke aside), $550k seems a fairly standard type of salary to be offering under the circumstances.

Throughandthrough
06-09-2017, 09:45 PM
I really rate Trengove. A few years ago all the other Port ruckmen were injured and he single handedly led the ruck for a few weeks, despite being completely undersized he performed like a Lion and smashed in hard all day, and made a real contest.

Throughandthrough
06-09-2017, 09:47 PM

Ive watched him closely, and I rate him.

jazzadogs
06-09-2017, 09:49 PM
I really rate Trengove. A few years ago all the other Port ruckmen were injured and he single handedly led the ruck for a few weeks, despite being completely undersized he performed like a Lion and smashed in hard all day, and made a real contest.

Are we recruiting him as a ruckman or a defender though? My concern is that he's a taller and more aggressive Roberts, but with the same concerns about strength and agility.

And aside from durability I don't know that he's that much better than Rough in the ruck.

GVGjr
06-09-2017, 11:37 PM
Are we recruiting him as a ruckman or a defender though? My concern is that he's a taller and more aggressive Roberts, but with the same concerns about strength and agility.

And aside from durability I don't know that he's that much better than Rough in the ruck.

He's a defender first, ruckman second and the occasional forward. I don't think there are any concerns about his strength in a contest.

I've watched him closely for years and can go back to when he was a bottom ager in the TAC being pitted against the consensus number one pick that year in Matthew Kruezer. Trengove would move to full back or in the ruck to shadow Kreuzer all game and he performed well. He's been a good club man at Port and I think he would fit in easily in our back line. I don't think the Roberts comparison is a good one.

jazzadogs
07-09-2017, 02:11 AM
He's a defender first, ruckman second and the occasional forward. I don't think there are any concerns about his strength in a contest.

I've watched him closely for years and can go back to when he was a bottom ager in the TAC being pitted against the consensus number one pick that year in Matthew Kruezer. Trengove would move to full back or in the ruck to shadow Kreuzer all game and he performed well. He's been a good club man at Port and I think he would fit in easily in our back line. I don't think the Roberts comparison is a good one.

Thanks GVG, my knowledge of him is limited so I am going off glimpses of Port Adelaide games in the past few years. I remember being impressed with him as a ruckman last year, but have no recollection of seeing him defend with any substance.

How would you rank him compared to Roughead in those positions? Is he a significant upgrade?

FWIW I am still in the 'for' camp, especially as a free agency pick-up. Just interested to know exactly what we are picking up.

GVGjr
07-09-2017, 05:36 AM
Thanks GVG, my knowledge of him is limited so I am going off glimpses of Port Adelaide games in the past few years. I remember being impressed with him as a ruckman last year, but have no recollection of seeing him defend with any substance.

How would you rank him compared to Roughead in those positions? Is he a significant upgrade?

FWIW I am still in the 'for' camp, especially as a free agency pick-up. Just interested to know exactly what we are picking up.
He's a better defender and even a better forward than Roughead but Roughy is the better ruckman.

Trengove isn't s star player but he should give us a bit of versatility that we need. Like Roughead he is also a great guy to have at a club.

Who really knows if we will get him but he has already been a polarizing discussion point.

Doc26
07-09-2017, 12:00 PM
He's a better defender and even a better forward than Roughead but Roughy is the better ruckman.

Trengove isn't s star player but he should give us a bit of versatility that we need. Like Roughead he is also a great guy to have at a club.

Who really knows if we will get him but he has already been a polarizing discussion point.

G, it seems, whilst not unanimous, there's a consensus here that Jackson would be a good fit for our need. The key question though being how much it might take to gain his services. Given the market, and no doubt his want to capitalise on his FA status, it may indeed take up to 600k to pry him to us. Whether it's 450k or 600k probably should not be the sticking point, it's whether as a flexible KP player he will fit the need and at his relatively young age I'd say it's worth this price.

bornadog
07-09-2017, 12:15 PM
G, it seems, whilst not unanimous, there's a consensus here that Jackson would be a good fit for our need. The key question though being how much it might take to gain his services. Given the market, and no doubt his want to capitalise on his FA status, it may indeed take up to 600k to pry him to us. Whether it's 450k or 600k probably should not be the sticking point, it's whether as a flexible KP player he will fit the need and at his relatively young age I'd say it's worth this price.

Given the salary cap increase of 20%, $600k is now about right. I think he would fit into the team structure pretty well.

GVGjr
07-09-2017, 01:20 PM

I do get it. It will be over 500k but there will be a point when it could be too much for a non star player

SonofScray
07-09-2017, 02:12 PM
Of the players being linked to us, this one makes the most sense. The safest bet IMO and likely best value. Our backline was decimated this year and still has a way to go before we see it at the level of 15/16 with departures recent and imminent.

Adds another ruck option, fills a key defensive post and offers flexibility up forward if we need to mix things up on the spot. Has the workmanlike nature we appreciate in our players but a better talent base than some of our guys.

Ozza
07-09-2017, 03:14 PM
I do get it. It will be over 500k but there will be a point when it could be too much for a non star player

$500K works out to be roughly 4% of the salary cap, so if he becomes a regular senior player I guess that is probably ok.
I'm not that comfortable with much more than that, especially if you consider it is 4 years. If things don't work out (like Chris Mayne at Collingwood) - it is pretty significant on your books.

The other issue is if Trengove is paid - say - $550-$600K, then how much are the likes of Macrae, Hunter, Dahlhaus, McLean worth? What about Adams if he stays on the park, and Cordy if he continues to progress in the way he has this season?

I do worry about fitting them all in. We are paying Tom Boyd about 7-8% of the cap, we will have to pay Bont at least that as well on his next contract (as we should). We have to be very careful with these decisions when it involves a role player - which is what Trengove is.

I'm happy to have Trengove at the club - but I'm not at all comfortable with the prices being thrown around.

G-Mo77
07-09-2017, 05:00 PM
Ozza from what I have heard and read is that Boyd was seriously front loaded over the last 2 seasons so his salary is probably around the 650k - 750k mark from here on in. Obviously we don't know the exacts of it all but I'm pretty confident it we chopped heaps out of his salary already.

Cap went up as well so this is probably a pretty standard salary now. $500 - $600K sounds about right to get a decent player from an opposition club. I'm comfortable with Trengrove should he cross over and comfortable with the price that is thrown around.

ledge
07-09-2017, 06:00 PM
Ozza from what I have heard and read is that Boyd was seriously front loaded over the last 2 seasons so his salary is probably around the 650k - 750k mark from here on in. Obviously we don't know the exacts of it all but I'm pretty confident it we chopped heaps out of his salary already.

Cap went up as well so this is probably a pretty standard salary now. $500 - $600K sounds about right to get a decent player from an opposition club. I'm comfortable with Trengrove should he cross over and comfortable with the price that is thrown around.

Boyds first year at the club was I believe still in the second year base payment for a top ten draft pick, so we couldn't pay anymore until his second year with us which was last year ?
Funny though how whatever the figure he was on doesn't seem as big as it was at the time of signing with the salary cap going up, most teams have one or two players on huge amounts I would say now .
And remember we could pay 105% of the cap for two years due to only posting 95% the previous years.

Twodogs
07-09-2017, 07:59 PM
Boyds first year at the club was I believe still in the second year base payment for a top ten draft pick, so we couldn't pay anymore until his second year with us which was last year ?
Funny though how whatever the figure he was on doesn't seem as big as it was at the time of signing with the salary cap going up, most teams have one or two players on huge amounts I would say now .
And remember we could pay 105% of the cap for two years due to only posting 95% the previous years.

And we can afford to now as well

Bulldog Revolution
07-09-2017, 09:25 PM
Can Trengrove play?

I know we need a big but can he play is the question?

Doc26
07-09-2017, 09:40 PM
Can Trengrove play?

I know we need a big but can he play is the question?

In summary, he's a handy utility, who competes well but lacks class.

boydogs
07-09-2017, 09:50 PM
The Tom Boyd deal was reported as year 1 200k + $1m to GWS for Griffen's salary, $1.8m year 2, $800k years 3-7

G-Mo77
07-09-2017, 09:53 PM
The Tom Boyd deal was reported as year 1 200k + $1m to GWS for Griffen's salary, $1.8m year 2, $800k years 3-7

Sounds about right. I know it was heavily front loaded.

Twodogs
08-09-2017, 09:46 AM

That's as I remember it.

bulldogtragic
10-09-2017, 12:03 AM
Their season is over too now. So do the medical and talk turkey so we can put attention into bigger things.

Too soon?

Remi Moses
10-09-2017, 12:14 AM
Bit surprised they didn't play him tonight with Jonas and Hombsch out .

ratsmac
10-09-2017, 01:23 AM

Maybe he had already told them I'm taking the Bulldogs offer and they said fine no finals for you then pal

Twodogs
10-09-2017, 01:28 AM

Even if he is halfway out the door anyway they would have played him if they needed him surely? If they didn't play him because he's negotiating/signed with us they've shot themselves on the foot.

jeemak
10-09-2017, 03:28 AM
Maybe he had already told them I'm taking the Bulldogs offer and they said fine no finals for you then pal

It definitely stinks of that.

In all likelihood he's been gone for a while. Each time I watch a Hinkley presser I'm surprised by how simple and basic he is. The concept of a leader leaving would make smoke emit from his tear ducts.

westdog54
10-09-2017, 11:16 AM

Its either that, or I'm wondering why in the Blue hell we're interested.

Even if he is halfway out the door anyway they would have played him if they needed him surely? If they didn't play him because he's negotiating/signed with us they've shot themselves on the foot.

They've definitely cut off their nose to spite their face.

GVGjr
10-09-2017, 11:35 AM
Its either that, or I'm wondering why in the Blue hell we're interested.

His form dropped away late in the season and he couldn't force his way back despite 3 excellent games in the SANFL
He kicked 8 goals in those 3 SANFL games despite spending a fair bit of time in the ruck.

I get why we reportedly have some interest.

Ozza
11-09-2017, 12:59 PM
Doesn't appear that Trengove played for Port in the SANFL semi yesterday.

Edit: Apologies, Just read previous posts....obviously this was known by posters beforehand!!

KT31
12-09-2017, 12:21 AM
Hopefully his trade to us is done and dusted and we can spend the rest of trade week on other issues.

Twodogs
12-09-2017, 12:33 AM
Hopefully his trade to us is done and dusted and we can spend the rest of trade week on other issues.

I think FA deals are announced a few days after the GF, the week before trade week.

Axe Man
12-09-2017, 11:01 AM
Port Adelaide’s Jackson Trengove still has role to play at Power, but may seek bigger role elsewhere (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/port-adelaide/port-adelaides-jackson-trengove-still-has-role-to-play-at-power-but-may-seek-bigger-role-elsewhere/news-story/06949d9037cc32660b4c3ad5030a7f5a)

JACKSON Trengove is this year’s sequel to the Hamish Hartlett chapter at Port Adelaide - and most probably with a different ending.

Trengove, 26, will leave this week’s end-of-season player reviews - as Hartlett did a year ago - knowing he has options elsewhere in the AFL. The most obvious are at the Western Bulldogs and Carlton.

Unlike Hartlett, Trengove does not have a long-term contract to pin to his locker at Alberton. And as a restricted free agent, Trengove will find better opportunities - and more tenure - at a rival AFL club.

Trengove’s manager, Tom Pretoro, told The Advertiser on Monday: “Jackson will get through the review (on Tuesday) and then reassess.”

Trengove remains one of the major focal points of the Power’s dramatic exit from the top-eight final series by the two-point loss to West Coast in extra time of the elimination final at Adelaide Oval on Saturday night.

In question is whether coach Ken Hinkley erred in not having Trengove’s experience and versatility to deal with the Eagles’ attack and defence. He preferred three-game forward Todd Marshall to work a tandem with Charlie Dixon in attack; he backed Tom Clurey and Dougal Howard in defence.

The external expectation - after Trengove was overlooked at selection for the Power’s last four games - is the utility will take up free agency. The compensation draft pick handed by the AFL to Port Adelaide would fall into the second round - and possibly vanish if the Power makes a free-agency play on Brisbane midfielder Tom Rockliff or Geelong forward Steven Motlop.

Hinkley’s senior assistant Matthew Nicks on Monday dismissed the growing criticism of the Power match committee not playing Trengove against the Eagles. He also insisted there is still room for Trengove at Alberton, even if the program appears to have moved to a new generation of players such as Howard, Marshall, Billy Frampton and Jesse Palmer.

“We played our best 22,” said Nicks. “And they have been our best 22 for the past month.”

Nicks did not debate club president David Koch’s post-game remarks that the “jury is out” on Hinkley’s preference for youth in the knock-out final.

“It may have been taken out of context,” Nicks said of Koch’s post-game speech. “His comments on our youth ... externally there will be questions about selection; when you lose games, there always is.”

Nicks accepted Trengove’s right to look at his options beyond Alberton.

“A player has to keep his options open,” Nicks said. “But (Hartlett and Trengove) are two of our leaders - two of our important players in our group.

“We are in the same boat now with Jackson (as with Hartlett last year). Although Jackson was not selected in what we thought was our best 22 (against West Coast), he is still a super important part of our group.

“The way he has handled himself in the past two weeks off field; the way he has gone about his football on-field, we can’t ask for him to have done it in a better manner. And he will continue to be one of our strongest leaders.”

1eyedog
13-09-2017, 11:17 AM
9 News Adelaide reporting Trengrove to Dogs on a 4 year deal.

ledge
13-09-2017, 11:24 AM
He sounds like a good person to have at the club , leader and won't accept being second best.
Sounds like port respect him but didnt show it in the selection table . When you read what the above article says you question why he wasn't picked against WC as a few ex players have.
He has a right to be annoyed . They are contradicting themselves. If he is such a leader why let his contract get to this stage ?

bulldogsthru&thru
13-09-2017, 02:35 PM
9 news reporting we've signed him to a 4 year deal

bulldogtragic
13-09-2017, 02:37 PM

Then welcome aboard Jackson Trevgove! Hope you finish up a multiple time premiership player.

Twodogs
13-09-2017, 03:36 PM

Then welcome aboard Jackson Trevgove! Hope you finish up a multiple time premiership player.

Thread title adjusted accordingly.

bornadog
13-09-2017, 03:37 PM
Thread title adjusted accordingly.

Have you jumped the gun? Trade period doesn't start till October

Bullies
13-09-2017, 03:38 PM
Not sure on this one. We desperately need a big man down back but to give 4 years on good coin to someone who has struggled the past couple of years I am not convinced.

DOG GOD
13-09-2017, 03:42 PM
Does 4 years reek of desperation in the fact that Adams (injury prone), Collins (might not make it) and Roberts (no faith from the MC) can't be relied upon?

bulldogtragic
13-09-2017, 03:46 PM
Does 4 years reek of desperation in the fact that Adams (injury prone), Collins (might not make it) and Roberts (no faith from the MC) can't be relied upon?

I don't think so. He brings a flexibility for the side that makes a lot of things better. He may have lowered his overall price to get the 4th year, so it might be a win-win. It's good to bring in a free agent and use the system for our benefit.

DOG GOD
13-09-2017, 03:51 PM
I agree BT....I'm a fan, and pinch hitters are always a bonus with their versatility. And the fact we got him a a FA is a massive bonus.
Now for Josh Kelly ;)

bulldogtragic
13-09-2017, 03:56 PM
I agree BT....I'm a fan, and pinch hitters are always a bonus with their versatility. And the fact we got him a a FA is a massive bonus.
Now for Josh Kelly ;)

Wouldn't it be a thing of beauty having Bonts & Kelly in the centre square receiving the clearance from Libba, streaming with accurate kicking to Tom Boyd and his merry forwards. Pick 9 and whatever good from Stringer must have us close.

Twodogs
13-09-2017, 04:42 PM
Have you jumped the gun? Trade period doesn't start till October

I may have but FAs and announced before the Trade period. Suckling was announced the Wednesday after he grand final. I'll change it back when he says he isn't coming.:cool:

Wouldn't it be a thing of beauty having Bonts & Kelly in the centre square receiving the clearance from Libba, streaming with accurate kicking to Tom Boyd and his merry forwards. Pick 9 and whatever good from Stringer must have us close.

Back in 5...

Rocket Science
13-09-2017, 04:48 PM
Enthused about Trengove if for no other reason than it'll mitigate having to play others out of position. Perhaps he's no saviour but the positive domino effect augurs well.

Need someone to stand a monster forward? Hi, I'm Jackson and I'm here to help.

Need someone to compete in the ruck for a spell? G'day, you called?

Need a tall to pluck a contested mark up forward? Hey there, it's me again.

Fascinated to see how we juggle him and Roughy in tandem though.

Axe Man
13-09-2017, 04:52 PM
I may have but FAs and announced before the Trade period. Suckling was announced the Wednesday after he grand final. I'll change it back when he says he isn't coming.:cool:

Actually free agency and the trade period overlap:

Friday October 6 - NAB AFL restricted free agency offer and unrestricted free agency period begins

Monday October 9, 9am* - NAB AFL Trade Period begins

Sunday October 15, 5pm - Close of NAB AFL restricted free agency offer and unrestricted free agency period

Wednesday October 18 - NAB AFL restricted free agency matching offer three-day period ends

Thursday October 19, 2pm – NAB AFL Trade Period closes

kruder
13-09-2017, 05:36 PM

4 year deal talk about overs. Flexibility is the the most overrated word at WO.

kruder
13-09-2017, 05:44 PM
Enthused about Trengove if for no other reason than it'll mitigate having to play others out of position. Perhaps he's no saviour but the positive domino effect augurs well.

Need someone to stand a monster forward? Hi, I'm Jackson and I'm here to help.

Need someone to compete in the ruck for a spell? G'day, you called?

Need a tall to pluck a contested mark up forward? Hey there, it's me again.

Fascinated to see how we juggle him and Roughy in tandem though.

Sounds great in theory but I read it more like, he is an ok forward, ok ruckman and ok defender and the sum of all parts is he is just ok.

Twodogs
13-09-2017, 06:30 PM
Actually free agency and the trade period overlap:

Cheers Axe man.

Sounds great in theory but I read it more like, he is an ok forward, ok ruckman and ok defender and the sum of all parts is he is just ok.

That's why he is cheap. If he was a superstar in those positions he'd cost us draft picks or players and more money even if his club let him go. We are getting a professional and reliable player who can play in positions that releases players like Boyd and Roughead to play in positions they are supposed to be playing in.

We just need him to be part of the jigsaw puzzle we are constantly trying to put together.

bulldogtragic
13-09-2017, 07:20 PM
Cheers Axe man.

That's why he is cheap. If he was a superstar in those positions he'd cost us draft picks or players and more money even if his club let him go. We are getting a professional and reliable player who can play in positions that releases players like Boyd and Roughead to play in positions they are supposed to be playing in.

We just need him to be part of the jigsaw puzzle we are constantly trying to put together.

I think our favourite premiership mix examples is Leigh Brown. He was average at North, and was 'reasonable' to 'OK' in the different areas of the ground at Collingwood. They'll be no bronze Leigh Brown statues, but he and 21 of his class mates got a premiership medal with him an important cog. Trengove is a better version of LB who can also competently play in defence on big guys. JT might just be that cog that improves others up a level. This is our man based on where we are now, and where he is now. It may be boom or bust with JT, but to me he's what we need and the money and years seems fair. And to get him as a free agent, keeping our pick 26, makes it even better.

ledge
13-09-2017, 07:35 PM
As they say nowadays , just do your role.

Twodogs
13-09-2017, 08:37 PM
As they say nowadays , just do your role.

Precisely. Help make the 22 better than the sum of its parts, that's all a footballer can do,

Twodogs
13-09-2017, 08:38 PM
I think our favourite premiership mix examples is Leigh Brown. He was average at North, and was 'reasonable' to 'OK' in the different areas of the ground at Collingwood. They'll be no bronze Leigh Brown statues, but he and 21 of his class mates got a premiership medal with him an important cog. Trengove is a better version of LB who can also competently play in defence on big guys. JT might just be that cog that improves others up a level. This is our man based on where we are now, and where he is now. It may be boom or bust with JT, but to me he's what we need and the money and years seems fair. And to get him as a free agent, keeping our pick 26, makes it even better.

Good analogy with Leigh Brown. Teams need all sorts from of players from star to warm bodies that are prepared to do a job.

GVGjr
13-09-2017, 08:40 PM
Good analogy with Leigh Brown. Teams need all sorts from of players from star to warm bodies that are prepared to do a job.

BT got it bang on. I think a lot of people struggle with the concept of a structure player not necessarily being a great player.
If we do land him and use him right he can be an important player for us.

Twodogs
13-09-2017, 08:52 PM
BT got it bang on. I think a lot of people struggle with the concept of a structure player not necessarily being a great player.
If we do land him and use him right he can be an important player for us.

He can be a great structure player. I can see why because 600 k is a lot of money but footy players get payed insane amounts of money these days. I'm not going to second guess the footy economy they play with Monopoly money from what I can make out.

Happy Days
14-09-2017, 12:33 AM

Leigh Brown's impact upon that team is severely overstated. He just happened to play with 2x all-decade midfielders, Alan Didak/Heath Shaw/Dale Thomas/Darren Jolly in their primes, and top 5 key position players at both ends. Not to mention Beams, Sidebottom, and AA defenders in O'Brien and Maxwell. "Doing a job" is a lot easier with this level of talent clearing the way.

jazzadogs
14-09-2017, 01:02 AM
If he is coming can we please, as a forum, spell his name correctly. It's not Trengrove - that's the guy that just got delisted by Melbourne.

It's Trengove.

AndrewP6
14-09-2017, 01:35 AM
If he is coming can we please, as a forum, spell his name correctly. It's not Trengrove - that's the guy that just got delisted by Melbourne.

It's Trengove.
So is the guy that just got delisted at Melbourne. Both are Trengove, Jackson at Port Adelaide, Jack formerly at Melbourne.

The Underdog
14-09-2017, 08:58 AM

We just gave Redpath 2 years and Trengove has 2 more things he can do to an acceptable level. Having someone who can provide cover in 3 areas we're deficient in is probably worth a slight overpay in years.

Throughandthrough
14-09-2017, 10:47 AM
My mail is that the Trengove deal is a lock. Very good mailman, too. Never been wrong before.

Twodogs
14-09-2017, 11:19 AM
Did you have to shout it T&T?

bornadog
14-09-2017, 11:21 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJmxD9VUQAIjB8j.jpg:large

westdog54
14-09-2017, 11:36 AM

Need I remind everyone that Matt Spangher was a premiership player?

We don't need a team of world-beaters if we can build a world-beating team.

Rocket Science
14-09-2017, 01:09 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJmxD9VUQAIjB8j.jpg:large

That reads like a not-so-subtle crack at Hinkley.

Topdog
14-09-2017, 01:17 PM

Fletcher Roberts is and is still a member of the Bulldogs list. Trengove is an upgrade on him

The Underdog
14-09-2017, 01:17 PM

Fletcher Roberts has a premiership medal....Chris Grant does not.

Remi Moses
14-09-2017, 02:12 PM
I'm not massive on his kicking , but he has solid attributes .

Dry Rot
14-09-2017, 02:25 PM
Port fans reckon Trengove is a pretty good club man. That can't hurt, especially now.

ledge
14-09-2017, 05:45 PM
Port fans reckon Trengove is a pretty good club man. That can't hurt, especially now.

One article reads he is a leader and really rated and wanted at the club , if that's true, begs the question why was he dropped and why wasn't he signed earlier ?

Throughandthrough
14-09-2017, 06:10 PM
Trengove has actively campaigned for other Port players to stay at Port in the past when they had other options. And to his credit when dropped to the Magpies he busted his gut and played very well.

Twodogs
14-09-2017, 06:12 PM

It is exactly what we need.

Twodogs
14-09-2017, 06:14 PM
One article reads he is a leader and really rated and wanted at the club , if that's true, begs the question why was he dropped and why wasn't he signed earlier ?

I think it's because Port found out that Jackson or his manager was negotiating with other clubs and threw the toys out of the pram.

bornadog
15-09-2017, 06:27 PM
Channel 7 Adelaide reporting Power free agent Jackson Trengove will join @westernbulldogs on a four year deal.

azabob
15-09-2017, 09:26 PM
Channel 7 Adelaide reporting Power free agent Jackson Trengove will join @westernbulldogs on a four year deal.

Channel 7 a bit behind? Didn't 9 say this a day or so ago?

Rocket Science
23-09-2017, 02:05 PM
Caught an interesting snippet of Trengove's manager Tom Petroro on SEN today.

Unsurprisingly, the script pre-trade period is it's not a fait accompli he's heading to us.

Perhaps it's merely protocols of timing or they're still fine tuning the figures but he indicated Trengove attributes not fulfilling his best footy over the past couple of seasons to being thrown around positionally and not having a chance to settle in a clearly defined role, which is what he's apparently looking for.

If true, given Bevo's flexibility mantra, perhaps it ain't a fait accompli after all.

GVGjr
27-09-2017, 09:18 AM
I've read a couple of reports that indicate Trengove is still on his way to us.
I wonder what role we want him to primarily play? I'd lean towards him being a defender with us but we might get creative.

bornadog
27-09-2017, 10:04 AM
I've read a couple of reports that indicate Trengove is still on his way to us.
I wonder what role we want him to primarily play? I'd lean towards him being a defender with us but we might get creative.

I would like him to be a defender and play on the monsters, and leave him there and don't muck around with the ruck as we have with Boyd. It would be good to have some key position players that are settled in their role.

lemmon
27-09-2017, 12:06 PM
I would like him to be a defender and play on the monsters, and leave him there and don't muck around with the ruck as we have with Boyd. It would be good to have some key position players that are settled in their role.

Agree with that. I think he walks in as the best key defender on our list, provides a nice foil for Adams and lets Morris and Cordy play smaller.

Also gives us some good depth back there with Roberts able to do a job and Collins looking pretty good at VFL level.

I wonder whether it even means we can see how Young goes as a forward? He was drafted as one and I'd really love to see his mitts at centre half forward.

No matter how we play it, I think it's a really good acquisition at the mooted price.

Happy Days
27-09-2017, 01:16 PM
I wonder whether it even means we can see how Young goes as a forward? He was drafted as one and I'd really love to see his mitts at centre half forward.

Not the worst idea. Debut game aside, he's liable to kill himself/get mark of the century taken on him with his unwavering need to play 10m in front of the drop of the ball down back. Leading up at the ball rather than trying to read the play could be the fix.

Mantis
27-09-2017, 01:32 PM
Not the worst idea. Debut game aside, he's liable to kill himself/get mark of the century taken on him with his unwavering need to play 10m in front of the drop of the ball down back. Leading up at the ball rather than trying to read the play could be the fix.

Do you think his positioning (10m in front) is something he instigated or as a result of being instructed to do so?

If the coaches didn't want him to stand there I'm sure they would've done something about it.

1eyedog
27-09-2017, 01:39 PM
Do you think his positioning (10m in front) is something he instigated or as a result of being instructed to do so?

If the coaches didn't want him to stand there I'm sure they would've done something about it.

First year players never get to think for themselves

The Bulldogs Bite
27-09-2017, 01:46 PM
Purely from observation, it looked like Young played his first 2 games primarily on instinct - with obviously some positional guidance.

The games that followed he seemed to be completely reactive and worried more about positioning than anything else, which ironically, he then found himself out of position far too often.

Regardless, whether he plays forward or back in 2018 he's still 3 years off contributing to a finals push.

Happy Days
27-09-2017, 02:09 PM

I think he's been instructed to play from in front but has taken it to an extreme, as a young kid nervous to impress is wont to do. I also don't think his ability to read the play is as good as it looked to be early on. Either way it's definitely something that needs work.

Go_Dogs
27-09-2017, 03:37 PM
I think he's been instructed to play from in front but has taken it to an extreme, as a young kid nervous to impress is wont to do. I also don't think his ability to read the play is as good as it looked to be early on. Either way it's definitely something that needs work.

He's very green, so no surprise there - that he managed to play senior footy at all was a huge surprise.

I'm a fan of trialling hi, forward, depends on whether we prefer Adams or Cordy up front though who both have more runs on the board.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2017, 08:27 PM
Sedat says Port getting Rockliff. So no compo for losing Trengove.

chef
03-10-2017, 08:45 PM

Brisbane should match their $600k offer which would only be a band 2 compo, if it can be pushed to $750-800k they'll end up with band 1.

Go_Dogs
03-10-2017, 08:45 PM

Any chance they match our offer and force a trade?

bulldogtragic
03-10-2017, 08:55 PM

You'd hope not, I think not. It's a big gamble for them, an annoyed player for four years on $600,000 by matching it (apparently). I'm also assuming they need the salary cap to get Rockliff in comfortably with some scope to look at another player. Surely they see it as a net gain (and positive for their club), everyone else would.

GVGjr
03-10-2017, 09:29 PM

The indication is that they need the 600K he was on for other players and his heart is set on returning to Vic...with us :)
This is where we 'could' use pick 26 for them in an effort to get Impey especially if we are only going to use 2 live picks

GVGjr
03-10-2017, 10:23 PM
I hope Trengove comes in and takes a lead role in helping develop Young and/or Collins.

While we need him to perform on the field he can also add a bit with one or two of the youngsters.

Twodogs
03-10-2017, 10:47 PM
I hope Trengove comes in and takes a lead role in helping develop Young and/or Collins.

While we need him to perform on the field he can also add a bit with one or two of the youngsters.

I see his experience and leadership skills as value adds with him. We have a few younger KPs that need a solid citizen type to set an example of how a professional AFL player prepares and recovers. Apart from Dale Morris we don't have a really experienced KP on the list ATM for Cordy, Boyd, Young etc. to look up to.

Dry Rot
04-10-2017, 01:26 AM
I see his experience and leadership skills as value adds with him. We have a few younger KPs that need a solid citizen type to set an example of how a professional AFL player prepares and recovers. Apart from Dale Morris we don't have a really experienced KP on the list ATM for Cordy, Boyd, Young etc. to look up to.

Mr Cloke?

Twodogs
04-10-2017, 03:22 AM
Mr Cloke?

I'm hoping he will be on the list next year. Trav Cloke has one more year of good footy left in him. I'd hate for him to play it in the WRFL.

But I did forget about him.

1eyedog
04-10-2017, 09:01 AM
Tredrea stated that Port would likely assist Trengove to his club of choice. That's how highly they rate him as a person.

Topdog
04-10-2017, 09:14 AM
I read somewhere last week that the deal was only 400k a year

bulldogtragic
04-10-2017, 09:38 AM
I read somewhere last week that the deal was only 400k a year

That's a steal if true.

EasternWest
05-10-2017, 12:39 PM
That's a steal if true.

Agreed. I was always reasonably satisfied with getting him, and at that price is even better.

Ay caramba, I just said 400k a year is cheap. That's nearly 4-8 times many salaries!

bulldogtragic
05-10-2017, 12:46 PM
What are the odds we can get this done tomorrow? That is, Port not matching our offer.

Axe Man
05-10-2017, 01:03 PM
What are the odds we can get this done tomorrow? That is, Port not matching our offer.

Good apparently.

https://s1.postimg.org/84xjagr65r/Capture.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

bulldogtragic
05-10-2017, 01:05 PM
Hopefully port wave him on and off to training he comes.

GVGjr
05-10-2017, 01:49 PM
A good sign for us, his club is being more than fair and reasonable which shows they have plenty of respect for the player. In turn the player seems to be putting a reasonable price on his services.

Jackson Trengove should be a good fit for us

GVGjr
05-10-2017, 01:49 PM

Very good I would say

Remi Moses
05-10-2017, 03:27 PM
A real steal at that price .

1eyedog
05-10-2017, 04:11 PM
Trengove at Whitten Oval today.

GVGjr
05-10-2017, 04:13 PM

We would have to think this will go down early tomorrow. Player and both clubs seem to be respecting each others end game.

1eyedog
05-10-2017, 04:24 PM
We would have to think this will go down early tomorrow. Player and both clubs seem to be respecting each others end game.

I heard Tredrea mention that Port aren't standing in his way.

GVGjr
05-10-2017, 04:27 PM
I heard Tredrea mention that Port aren't standing in his way.

It's refreshing to think clubs can see the bigger picture.

bulldogtragic
05-10-2017, 04:31 PM

Some.

Topdog
05-10-2017, 06:03 PM

It's good but also scares me that we will blink to pick 29 for Stringer

Bulldog4life
05-10-2017, 06:54 PM
It's good but also scares me that we will blink to pick 29 for Stringer

I am the opposite Td.

Doc26
05-10-2017, 06:59 PM

Just heard the same, for a photo shoot supposedly.
Apparently he's off to Bali on hols. tomorrow.

GVGjr
05-10-2017, 07:12 PM
Just heard the same, for a photo shoot supposedly.
Apparently he's off to Bali on hols. tomorrow.

Yep, photo's and online content will make it look like the news is current. Fantastic for the club and the player

bulldogtragic
05-10-2017, 07:26 PM
So we just got the best player in the competition. Whoooo! (Everyone we recruit has to be the best, right?)

Welcome JT.

kruder
05-10-2017, 07:52 PM
Are the wages released for a free agent deal? Keen to know what we paid.

bulldogtragic
05-10-2017, 07:54 PM

I think so, as everyone (AFEL, us, PA) theoretically needs to know the figure to not match. I imagine that will come out.

GVGjr
05-10-2017, 07:56 PM

The media is speculating it's around 450K per season.

kruder
05-10-2017, 07:58 PM

Cool happy with 450k worth getting at that price for sure.

hujsh
06-10-2017, 12:19 AM

Less than speculated and seems a bit of a bargain

jazzadogs
06-10-2017, 01:05 AM
Still not sure 4 years is the right timeframe, but think that security was a big factor in getting the signature so I'll cop it.

Dry Rot
06-10-2017, 01:29 AM
Hope to god we play him in his proper position in the backline taking the gorillas, not the ruck.

hujsh
06-10-2017, 01:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFJ1rt0udso

hujsh
06-10-2017, 01:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qEGHyicHUM

macca
06-10-2017, 03:52 AM
Happy with this pick, his a good moneyball pick, and not expensive.
Some stats here : https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-port-adelaide-power--jackson-trengove

I remember I saw him in a couple of games a few years ago where he was marking everything. Cannot recall which years.
But it could be one of these 2 year: marks and port finishing position on ladder.
2011 - 4.7 Marks, finished second last
2012- 4.2 marks, finished 14th

Interesting he has not been able to replicate these 2 seasons since. Injuries, role change and competition for spots

bulldogtragic
06-10-2017, 10:44 AM
The Western Bulldogs have today lodged the paperwork with the AFL to acquire the services of Port Adelaide utility Jackson Trengove.

Under the rules of Free Agency, Port Adelaide could match the offer made by the Bulldogs, and has three days from the lodgement of the paperwork to make the decision.

Trengove was recruited to the Power from the Calder Cannons with a second round selection (pick 22) in the 2008 NAB AFL Draft.

The 26-year-old has played 153 games for Port (including 19 in 2017), mostly as a key defender, but with an ability to play in the ruck or as a tall forward.

The 197cm, 97kg utility won the Power’s Best and Fairest award in 2011 and was nominated for the NAB Rising Star Award in 2010.

Players are eligible for Free Agency if they have completed at least eight seasons at their club.

(Via our website)

Afl.com.au -

Trengove confirmed his impending departure to the Kennel on Friday when he submitted the official free agency paperwork with the AFL. It is believed the Bulldogs' offer is for four years and worth about $2 million.

The 26-year-old Victorian is a restricted free agent so the Power could match the Bulldogs' offer. However, they are not expected to exercise this right, largely because letting Trengove go will create the salary cap space they need to bring in Tom Rockliff and, most likely, Steven Motlop via free agency.

The Power have three days to make a decision, but could announce they won't block Trengove's path to the Whitten Oval by the end of Friday.

Bulldogs list manager Jason McCartney told AFL.com.au on Friday morning the club was confident Port wouldn't stand in Trengove's way.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-10-2017, 11:08 AM
4 years ~500k. I'm quite happy with that.

Grantysghost
06-10-2017, 11:48 AM
Interview with Jackson on trade radio
https://omny.fm/shows/trade-radio/jackson-trengove-on-nab-afl-trade-radio

bulldogtragic
06-10-2017, 01:27 PM
JACKSON Trengove is excited at the prospect of joining the Western Bulldogs and he's doing his best to convince Port Adelaide teammate Jarman Impey to come along for the ride.

Trengove is on the verge of becoming a Bulldog after the club lodged a free agency offer at League headquarters.

Impey is also considering a move away from Alberton despite being contracted until the end of 2018. AFL.com.au reported last week that the Bulldogs and Hawthorn were among the clubs trying to lure the dashing defender to Victoria.

Trengove told NAB AFL Trade Radio he hoped his long-time friend would remain his teammate at Whitten Oval.

"I'm working on him, boys. He's in a unique situation where he has to make a decision and I can't make it for him," Trengove said of Impey.

"I'd love to make it for him and I know where he'd end up if I was making it but he'll make a decision in the next coming weeks and he'll make the right decision for what's best for him."

Trengove confirmed his impending departure to the Kennel on Friday when he submitted the official free agency paperwork with the AFL. It is believed the Bulldogs' offer is for four years and worth about $2 million.

AFL.com.au reported on September 1 the Bulldogs were the frontrunners to lure Trengove from Port, having overtaken other interested clubs headed by Carlton.

The 26-year-old Victorian is a restricted free agent so the Power could match the Bulldogs' offer. However, they are not expected to exercise this right, largely because letting Trengove go will create the salary cap space they need to bring in Tom Rockliff and, most likely, Steven Motlop via free agency.

The Power have three days to make a decision, but could announce they won't block Trengove's path to the Whitten Oval by the end of Friday.

Bulldogs list manager Jason McCartney told AFL.com.au on Friday morning the club was confident Port wouldn't stand in Trengove's free agency move.

"We're pretty confident, but until it's signed off on you never do know in this game," he said.

"He's got great experience, he's a versatile player having played in all three areas of the ground. He also has great leadership and is extremely competitive. He's a 153-game player and you think of the greats that we've had go out of our club this year in Bob Murphy and Matty Boyd, he fits a nice age profile in our group too."

Webby
06-10-2017, 01:50 PM
Impey would be a great get from a team balance perspective. Some foot speed out of defence would be very handy for us.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-10-2017, 02:11 PM
Jackson Trengove officially a bulldog after Port didn't match our offer. Welcome aboard Jackson.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2017, 02:20 PM
Only a three year deal.

1eyedog
06-10-2017, 02:30 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-10-06/trengove-joins-the-kennel

chef
06-10-2017, 02:31 PM
Jackson Trengove officially a bulldog after Port didn't match our offer. Welcome aboard Jackson.

Is there a link for this?

Edit. Don't worry.

1eyedog
06-10-2017, 02:31 PM
I'm excited.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-10-2017, 02:43 PM
3 years is perfect and it's a pretty sound get if it's around that 450K.

Good interview up on the website - Port are speaking highly of him too.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-10-2017, 02:45 PM
Anyone see Wingards tweet? Wingard to the dogs in 2019 confirmed!

bulldogtragic
06-10-2017, 02:48 PM
Anyone see Wingards tweet? Wingard to the dogs in 2019 confirmed!

Great, huh. I called Wingard as a target a few weeks back. Stuff that, they can have 9 & 11 for Wingard now!

Time to encourage him on Twitter to make it this year.

Ghost Dog
06-10-2017, 03:31 PM
https://youtu.be/5qEGHyicHUM

Set shot technique looks poor. He'll fit right in.

Why an earth isn't Trengove getting picked? He'll tear it up in the centre beside Bont.

Wingard is coming to us??? Really??? Wow!

The Bulldogs Bite
06-10-2017, 03:36 PM
Why an earth isn't he getting picked?

Few reasons.

1.) Port Adelaide are well stocked for key defenders, all of whom are probably more mobile than Trengove.
2.) As a result of the above, Trengove was moved forward. He's not a forward.
3.) He does have some limitations as a player - mobility/agility, pace and skill. None of which are terrible to be fair.

His best position is as a key defender and I would suggest that is what we will be getting him for. Probably will provide the odd chop out in the ruck too where he's serviceable.

Ultimately he's no star but he's aggressive, committed, strong and a leader. I wasn't a fan early days when it was suspected we offered 4 years at 500-600K, but 3 years at 450K is a good result.

Ghost Dog
06-10-2017, 03:39 PM
Few reasons.

1.) Port Adelaide are well stocked for key defenders, all of whom are probably more mobile than Trengove.
3.) He does have some limitations as a player - mobility/agility, pace and skill. None of which are terrible to be fair.

His best position is as a key defender and I would suggest that is what we will be getting him for. Probably will provide the odd chop out in the ruck too where he's serviceable.

Ultimately he's no star but he's aggressive, committed, strong and a leader. I wasn't a fan early days when it was suspected we offered 4 years at 500-600K, but 3 years at 450K is a good result.

Thanks for this TBB
I'm glad we are not paying silly overs for people to join us anymore!

1eyedog
06-10-2017, 03:59 PM
Good, honest citizen perfect role player. Nice to have an experienced big man join us in his mid 20s.

Twodogs
06-10-2017, 04:15 PM
Why an earth isn't Trengove getting picked? He'll tear it up in the centre beside Bont.

Wingard is coming to us??? Really??? Wow!

Few reasons.

I asked a Port supporting mate of mine about Tengrove. His assessment is he has lost a bit of leg speed over the last two years and that was the main reason that Port weren't going to match the offer.

He must have turned into a statue with some of the players were picking ahead of Tengrove toward the end of the season. I still reckon they found out he was talking to us and dropped him out of spite.

ratsmac
06-10-2017, 04:37 PM
Wingard come on down? I can't bring myself to believe that there is anything in that comment. Bulldogs aren't a destination club. :p

BornInDroopSt'54
06-10-2017, 04:41 PM
There's no "I" in "team" and no "r" in "Trengove":)

Mantis
06-10-2017, 05:01 PM
There's no "I" in "team" and no "r" in "Trengove":)

So it's Tengove. ;)

bulldogtragic
06-10-2017, 05:03 PM
So it's Tengove. ;)

Literally laughed out loud. :D

kruder
06-10-2017, 05:21 PM
Only a three year deal.

Perfect 4 years have always been to big of a risk for mine.

Dry Rot
06-10-2017, 05:23 PM
Have been reading a lot of comments by Port fans.

All sad to see him go, all think he is a terrific club man, all wish him the best.

And best of all, a couple reckon he likes some rough stuff and a good fight. Even goes the biff at training!

Twodogs
06-10-2017, 09:56 PM
Have been reading a lot of comments by Port fans.

All sad to see him go, all think he is a terrific club man, all wish him the best.

And best of all, a couple reckon he likes some rough stuff and a good fight. Even goes the biff at training!

Should fit in perfectly at Whitten oval then.

ledge
07-10-2017, 09:47 AM
Now this is a quality recruit, respected by the port fans and members and respects them and the club back.
https://www.facebook.com/jacksontrengove12/posts/1978208082457874

LostDoggy
07-10-2017, 10:00 AM
Great pickup and a sensible contract, very happy that we went early and decisively.
Hopefully our trading continues to be well thought out.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-10-2017, 10:09 AM
Messaged Trengove and said welcome aboard, looking forward to seeing him line up and hoped to see him convince Impey.

He responded that he’s working on it, fingers crossed (Impey), thanks for the message and was looking forward to wearing the red white and blue.

There’s been a huge wave of gratitude from Port particularly regarding his character, he genuinely sounds like a ripping bloke. Think we’ve certainly improved our culture with his addition.

Remi Moses
07-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Just read the responses on FB, and unbelievably there was barely a flog response. Very well respected

comrade
07-10-2017, 10:46 AM
Pretty rare for a supporter base to be sad to see a player go while simultaneously wishing him all the luck in the world at the new club. It's a shame we didn't have him on the list earlier.

GVGjr
07-10-2017, 11:10 AM
Pretty rare for a supporter base to be sad to see a player go while simultaneously wishing him all the luck in the world at the new club. It's a shame we didn't have him on the list earlier.

I'd like to see a few more of our supporters be as generous with their appreciation for departing players.

Topdog
07-10-2017, 11:24 AM
Quality character

bulldogtragic
07-10-2017, 11:46 AM
Messaged Trengove and said welcome aboard, looking forward to seeing him line up and hoped to see him convince Impey.

He responded that he’s working on it, fingers crossed (Impey), thanks for the message and was looking forward to wearing the red white and blue.

There’s been a huge wave of gratitude from Port particularly regarding his character, he genuinely sounds like a ripping bloke. Think we’ve certainly improved our culture with his addition.

Yep. Bevo and playing leaders have drawn a line after the year. Trengove reinforces the rebuilding of our culture which is great, and we can't really put a price on that beyond what his playing contract is.

The Doctor
07-10-2017, 11:55 AM
This is excellent recruiting by the club. Well done!

Looking forward to seeing the big fella in our colours next year and beyond

The Adelaide Connection
07-10-2017, 12:08 PM

That is genuinely the feeling from all Power fans that I know and a few have referenced that he was the first to sign on when the club were at their lowest ebb (with lots of clubs trying to pull him back over the border). I had forgotten how dire their situation was and having a few key players sign on was critical to get some hope back in the joint. If Trengove and Boak left it would have opened the floodgates and probably led to at least another five years of pain on field (not to mention the damage to the already almost insurmountable debt they had accrued at the time).

G-Mo77
07-10-2017, 12:08 PM
I'd like to see a few more of our supporters be as generous with their appreciation for departing players.

I guess it all depends on how you leave. I hold no animosity towards someone like Hamling, Ryan Griffen on the other hand.....

Bulldog4life
07-10-2017, 12:52 PM
Very happy with the signing of Jackson. Always thought he was a good player and now knowing he is a quality person makes it even a better decision. He fits the mould that Bevo likes too having the ability to play in a number of positions too. I love his crunching tackles that I saw in his video too.

Twodogs
07-10-2017, 12:55 PM

There are some you are genuinely sad to see leave. And there are some you offer a lift to the airport to.

ledge
07-10-2017, 02:06 PM
Amazing Port are letting him go .. Some players you can't it can destroy the players loyalty and can bring a club down.
Might be some backlash from port players .. Did anyone see Wingards msge to him about hoping to have a kick with him again soon?
If Impey comes over as well I think it's a testament to just how good a character this guy is.
Our club has done a great job in getting this guy, not just a player but a team builder at the inner sanctum.
I just wish Stringer could see the light with us and come back and also change his culture.

Dry Rot
07-10-2017, 02:46 PM
Check out what his coach thinks of him about 2m 15 sec in

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/video/2017-10-06/2017-bf-ken-hinkley-address

Re his new club, Hinkley says "I hope Jacko kicks arse"

Amazing. Bevo must be rapt to get him.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2017, 02:50 PM

Nice, classy send off. Hinkley clearly loves him. I look forward to JT getting into training ASAP.

GVGjr
07-10-2017, 03:01 PM
It's a tremendous endorsement of his time at Port that the club, fans and players are giving him such a send off. He's obviously not just been a type of player that just clocks on and clocks off and he's helped so many others.

Very dignified way to depart a club where everyone genuinely wishes each other well for the future.

Twodogs
07-10-2017, 04:16 PM

Nice, classy send off. Hinkley clearly loves him. I look forward to JT getting into training ASAP.

It's a tremendous endorsement of his time at Port that the club, fans and players are giving him such a send off. He's obviously not just been a type of player that just clocks on and clocks off and he's helped so many others.

Very dignified way to depart a club where everyone genuinely wishes each other well for the future.

You usually see messages from a player or two keen to see their mate do well at another club but I can't remember almost the whole club expressing their hope that a guy prospers at his new club. He's either a top notch bloke or they know something about his fitness tgat the medical didn't turn up.

ledge
07-10-2017, 08:47 PM
Very strange they are letting him go if he is so good.

Twodogs
07-10-2017, 10:25 PM
Very strange they are letting him go if he is so good.

I like to think it's because he has a new baby and that's the one time in your life that you need to be living 5 minutes travel time from mum and dad.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2017, 10:30 PM
I like to think it's because he has a new baby and that's the one time in your life that you need to be living 5 minutes travel time from mum and dad.

This. His wife has twins to be born shortly too. 3 very young kids and a husband playing professional footy. Easy to see why as a family unit they wanted to be around family.

Good people go with blessings all the time. We all said complimentary things about our premiership full back after he announced he was leaving a couple of weeks after the GF to Freo, for family reasons.

Bulldog Revolution
07-10-2017, 10:49 PM

Thanks DR - it's certainly glowing, he's the first person he acknowledges and thanks

My take is Port think they needed more dynamic key defenders to win it and feel Jacko isn't it

The thing about character is that it's hard to discount - guys with it frequently find a way to rise to levels few felt they could

Trengove is ripe for a change of scenery and we are it!!

Eastdog
08-10-2017, 02:50 PM
Welcome to the Bulldogs Jackson Trengove. Sounds like he is a great guy and a solid player who will help our young defence a lot.

Ghost Dog
08-10-2017, 07:21 PM
Like the beard and the attitude. Welcome fella

ratsmac
08-10-2017, 09:33 PM
This. His wife has twins to be born shortly too. 3 very young kids and a husband playing professional footy. Easy to see why as a family unit they wanted to be around family.

Good people go with blessings all the time. We all said complimentary things about our premiership full back after he announced he was leaving a couple of weeks after the GF to Freo, for family reasons.

Twins hey. 4 year contract, 22 games plus 4 finals each year with 3 premierships to boot (don't want to be greedy). That should be enough to get the father and son across the line. Now they just have to be boys.

bulldogtragic
08-10-2017, 09:48 PM
Twins hey. 4 year contract, 22 games plus 4 finals each year with 3 premierships to boot (don't want to be greedy). That should be enough to get the father and son across the line. Now they just have to be boys.

Only a 3 year contract, but we can extend him to get there! Good thinking! :D

1eyedog
08-10-2017, 10:38 PM

We have an AFLW team

bornadog
09-10-2017, 03:34 AM
I hope we don't use him in the ruck and he stays in the backline to play on the monster forward.

Greystache
16-10-2017, 10:15 PM
Happy with this pick up. Hopefully he can hold down a key defensive role first and foremost, then as a secondary offer some flexibility to other parts of the ground. 3 years isn't a huge investment, and the money isn't massive either, plus being a free agent makes it a good selection. One thing I can't quite follow is why he was left out of the finals team despite being a regular all season, especially as there seems to be no animosity with his departure.

Good luck Jackson.

boydogs
17-10-2017, 01:19 AM
One thing I can't quite follow is why he was left out of the finals team despite being a regular all season, especially as there seems to be no animosity with his departure

Don't think he has the speed of other options at Port

Twodogs
17-10-2017, 01:46 AM
Don't think he has the speed of other options at Port

A mate of mine who follows Port says that he (Trengove that is, not my mate-he was never that quick to start with) has lost a bit of leg speed over the last couple of years. He also says we dodged a bullet with Impey who has trouble with his disposal.

I do think that Port threw a hissy fit and dropped him when they found out that he was touring other clubs facilitys though.

Axe Man
09-02-2018, 06:11 PM
Ex-Power star knew 'the writing was on the wall' (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-09/expower-star-trengoveknew-the-writing-was-on-the-wall)

WESTERN Bulldogs recruit Jackson Trengove knew his nine-year career at Port Adelaide was over when he wasn't selected for the club's elimination final loss to West Coast.

After playing 153 games at the Power since being selected with pick No.22 in the 2008 NAB AFL Draft, the Victorian fell out of favour at the end of last season, so he decided to take up a free agency offer from the Bulldogs.

When Trengove reflects on Port's heartbreaking finals exit last September, the key defender feels he could have made a difference, with Eagles tall forwards Josh Kennedy, Jack Darling and Drew Petrie combing for eight goals in the two-point extra-time loss.

"Towards the end of the year being left out of the side and missing that final was probably my last straw and the writing was on the wall," Trengove told 5AA on Thursday.

"It was pretty difficult sitting in the stands watching that game, and everything that was written about during the week of what might happen, did happen.

"I was thinking I could have played a huge part and probably help the team get a win and get to another final.

"I was playing well enough in the SANFL at that stage to be brought back (into the side), and for whatever reason I wasn't brought back in, and I saw the opportunity to come back home."

Trengove believes his versatility was one of the main reasons the Dogs lured him to Whitten Oval on a three-year deal, as his ability play all over the ground fits with coach Luke Beveridge's flexibility mantra.

"One thing that's been handy in my career is that I've been able to play in numerous positions, and at this stage, I'm not 100 per cent (sure) where I'll fit in at the Doggies," Trengove said.

"It'll probably be playing in all three positions – forward, ruck and down back.

"At some stage I will settle down and play one or two of those positions but at some stage I'll play in all three positions throughout the year."

And life is set to get a whole lot busier for the father of one, with Trengove and his partner expecting twins in the coming weeks.

Daughter of the West
09-02-2018, 07:46 PM
[B][U][URL="http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-09/expower-star-trengoveknew-the-writing-was-on-the-wall"]
And life is set to get a whole lot busier for the father of one, with Trengove and his partner expecting twins in the coming weeks.

Yikes! There won't be a lot of sleep in that household for a while...

Twodogs
10-02-2018, 01:36 AM
I wonder if instead of extra time there had been a replay after that final if Port would have selected Jackson for it?

Remi Moses
10-02-2018, 12:08 PM
Gee he comes across as a ripping good bloke .

Dry Rot
10-02-2018, 05:44 PM

That's what Port guys say about him.

Mofra
12-02-2018, 12:03 PM
Former VC and no Power fan has a bad word to say about him.

Ghost Dog
19-04-2019, 05:47 PM
Go Jackson. Will Minson, Tom Boyd, Mitch Hahn and many other big fellas have had their knockers over the years but proved themselves faithful and valuable servants in their roles at different points in the journey of the club.
The great myth is you have to give your all for the team. Wrong. You have to give your strengths and mitigate your weaknesses. That's why it's a team sport. We need your aggression, hardness, leadership and great ruck work. Be the new people's beard Jackson. Go for it!

S Coast Simon
20-04-2019, 06:50 PM
I say we need the people’s BEARD back in we need his aggression around the ball

The Pie Man
11-12-2019, 11:49 AM
Noted Jackson was dropped from the leadership group for 2020.

Coupled with his late season omission and I'm starting to wonder what's next for our jack of all trades, master of none.

His 1-1 stats once played in defence were seriously impressive, and each game he played 1st ruck he was more than serviceable, but he found his way into the Footscray side come finals time.

Where do we see him?

GVGjr
11-12-2019, 12:48 PM
Noted Jackson was dropped from the leadership group for 2020.

Coupled with his late season omission and I'm starting to wonder what's next for our jack of all trades, master of none.

His 1-1 stats once played in defence were seriously impressive, and each game he played 1st ruck he was more than serviceable, but he found his way into the Footscray side come finals time.

Where do we see him?

I see him in our best 22, he's versatile and a good defender. We started playing better football once he returned to the team

Twodogs
11-12-2019, 01:24 PM
I see him in our best 22, he's versatile and a good defender. We started playing better football once he returned to the team

Yep, we are a better team with Jackson in it.

bulldogtragic
11-12-2019, 01:57 PM
JT is like Caleb Daniel & Marcus Adams. Solid players, but they put in one or two howlers a game that lead to an easy goal to the opposition and let down their overall performance somewhat. I see him in and around our best 22. If he can eliminate the howlers, whilst still putting in good 1-1 performances, he will be a valuable player. As for the leadership group, I don't see an issue. Some people want to be called and be identified a 'leader', while others act like and cry themselves as a 'leader'. JT doesn't need the title, I think he'll be the same steady leader he's been at our club and a strong support to his co-workers.

comrade
11-12-2019, 01:59 PM
Perhaps having Keath, with his intercept ability, it'll give Bevo more confidence to have one dedicated defensive stopper in the back 6, so Trengove becomes an option again.

I would't mind a back 6 of:

Duryea Trengove Crozier
JJ Keath Suckling/Wood

The Bulldogs Bite
11-12-2019, 02:52 PM
I think he's good depth (ruck/KPD) with a preference to having him as a ruck.

Don't see how he plays KPD weekly because there won't always be a suitable opponent. Lynch, Kennedy, Hawkins types yes but there aren't a lot of them and he's not mobile enough to play on Cameron, Hipwood, Daniher etc.

Still should play more games than he doesn't on the balance of injuries / flexibility.

Axe Man
04-12-2020, 03:50 PM
Trengove has retired.

https://i.postimg.cc/Qt3XMYCT/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

GVGjr
04-12-2020, 04:54 PM
I hope someone looks at him for a coaching role. Impressive bloke and a great clubman is JT
I rate him highly

Grantysghost
04-12-2020, 06:05 PM
I hope someone looks at him for a coaching role. Impressive bloke and a great clubman is JT
I rate him highly

He was coaching at Strathmore womens I believe, but wanted to coach at a higher level so hopefully this is something he can do. I was lucky enough to have sponsored Jackson for the last three seasons and can't speak more highly of him. Always generous with his time, free to chat regularly; a real pro.

Well done on a great AFL career.

azabob
04-12-2020, 06:05 PM
I rate him highly

Well we have a spot open with Jordan Russell moving on. I guess JT and Bevo may not be on the best of terms though.

merantau
04-12-2020, 08:49 PM
We made a big mistake by under utilizing him.

Grantysghost
21-12-2020, 04:28 PM
JT has signed on to play up on the Murray at Barooga next season. Pretty sure there's a family connection up there.

bulldogsthru&thru
25-12-2020, 02:24 PM
Jackson gave a bit of a clip to Bevo on FB. Said Bevo refused to play him even though he was "dominating" in practice games and was playing a position of need. Interesting take. Seems Bevo can indeed be stubborn and rigid. I don’t like it

Go_Dogs
26-12-2020, 10:22 AM
Jackson gave a bit of a clip to Bevo on FB. Said Bevo refused to play him even though he was "dominating" in practice games and was playing a position of need. Interesting take. Seems Bevo can indeed be stubborn and rigid. I don’t like it

Most thought it was weird he didn’t get more game time.

We haven’t done ourselves many favours with team selection over the past few years. We haven’t been win now or develop. We’ve been treading water. Need to get it right this year.