PDA

View Full Version : Stringer needs to “really commit” to dogs, says teammate

bornadog
07-09-2017, 11:35 AM
Link (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/jake-stringer-needs-to-give-full-commitment-to-western-bulldogs-mitch-wallis-20170907-gycgkr.html)

https://images.contentful.com/u8w3l566ay8a/2fTecU84gUe0s64i2uY8UM/164966d78671ac91075254a674c9e6bc/GettyImages-805179346.jpg?w=980&h=520&fit=fill&f=faces

Jake Stringer needs to give a "full commitment" to the Western Bulldogs if he wants to stay at the club next season, according to teammate Mitch Wallis.

Stringer still has a year to run on his contract at Whitten Oval but it was reported on Channel Nine's The Footy Show on Thursday night that the premiership star is exploring a trade after falling out with the Bulldogs.

Ahead of arguably the best weekend of footy in the AFL calendar, Sam McClure previews all the action of week one of the finals.
Wallis wants Stringer to stick with the Bulldogs but conceded doubt surrounded his future after agreeing there was a "disconnect" between the 2015 All-Australian forward pocket and the club this year.

"He (Stringer) is working through it, I think he wants to stay a Bulldog, they've given him every opportunity for the last four or five years but it's still up in the air and he still has to really commit to the club because they want a full commitment from him and not one where he's unsure," Wallis told SEN on Thursday.

"He had a couple of injuries late in the year which obviously made it hard for him because he hadn't had a great year form-wise.

His 24 goals from 16 games in the Bulldogs' failed premiership defence was Stringer's lowest output since his 2013 debut season - far down from his career-best 56 majors two years ago.

"I want him to stay, obviously that's the priority, and he's a contracted player but I still think that they have things they have to work through," Wallis said.

lemmon
07-09-2017, 11:49 AM
Far from convincing

bulldogtragic
07-09-2017, 11:52 AM
Gonski

bornadog
07-09-2017, 11:55 AM
Gonski

What do you expect Wallis to say?

He sounded honest to me.

bulldogtragic
07-09-2017, 12:08 PM

He sounded honest to me.

I agree, not sure the reading between my lines is. I think Stringer is gonski.

Topdog
07-09-2017, 12:30 PM

He sounded honest to me.

Usually they say much more positive things. That is a pretty stinging appraisal from Mitch.

Insufficient Intent
07-09-2017, 12:31 PM
I think Mitch spent considerable time crafting that statement and made a good fist of it.

Jake must be going through hell personally; split-ups are never easy, especially where young kids are involved. That problem may dominate his thoughts constantly with the rest of his life back-burnered. Akin, I think to a mental health issue to a degree: I don't mean to be over-simplifying, this is a complex issue.

All the club can do is to assist him in any way possible to making a decision that is his alone and the club accepting that.
Like everyone else, I'd be rapt if he can make a "stay" decision.
Far too many fond memories of a champion player.

Templeton31
07-09-2017, 12:39 PM
Yeh thats a load less positive than I would like. Thats basically saying Jake's not putting in and we've had enough.

azabob
07-09-2017, 12:47 PM
Perfectly set up to give Stringer a lot of hard truths.

Bevo comes in and does what Bevo does best.

Results in Stringer staying and consistently fulfilling his potential for the next 8 years.

bulldogsthru&thru
07-09-2017, 12:54 PM
Perfectly set up to give Stringer a lot of hard truths.

Bevo comes in and does what Bevo does best.

Results in Stringer staying and consistently fulfilling his potential for the next 8 years.

There are rumours going around that its Bevo driving this. He wants him gone.

bornadog
07-09-2017, 01:10 PM
There are rumours going around that its Bevo driving this. He wants him gone.

Where have you read that?

bulldogsthru&thru
07-09-2017, 01:12 PM
Where have you read that?

I was told it. Normally i wouldn't believe any of this sort of thing but the same person told me about this supposed bust up before the story broke. Needless to say i didn't believe them but here we are.

Eastdog
07-09-2017, 01:18 PM
Rumours are just rumours. A lot at the moment is going around right now.

comrade
07-09-2017, 01:21 PM
That's a pretty strong statement by Wallis. I like it.

Put up or move on, Jake. His teammates have obviously had enough of his lack of effort on & off the field.

Twodogs
07-09-2017, 01:29 PM
STEVEN KING: Kingy spoke on behalf of the group during a Leading Teams session. He told Gaz he didn’t work hard enough and while he was playing well, he could be so much better. Gaz didn’t like it. He left the meeting and didn’t speak to Kingy for a little while. In hindsight it clearly was the best thing that could have happened. He took the feedback on-board and used it positively, as it was intended to be, and proved to us that he had what it took. The change in his game was instant. I think Gaz would now look back and thank Kingy and Leading Teams for helping steer him in the right direction and which undoubtedly helped turn him into a legend of the game.

A quote from an article by Paul Chapman about Gary Ablett Jr before GAJ's 300th game. It's talking about the Leading Teams inspired dressing down of GAJ and the aftermath.

Twodogs
07-09-2017, 01:29 PM
STEVEN KING: Kingy spoke on behalf of the group during a Leading Teams session. He told Gaz he didn’t work hard enough and while he was playing well, he could be so much better. Gaz didn’t like it. He left the meeting and didn’t speak to Kingy for a little while. In hindsight it clearly was the best thing that could have happened. He took the feedback on-board and used it positively, as it was intended to be, and proved to us that he had what it took. The change in his game was instant. I think Gaz would now look back and thank Kingy and Leading Teams for helping steer him in the right direction and which undoubtedly helped turn him into a legend of the game.

A quote from an article by Paul Chapman about Gary Ablett Jr before GAJ's 300th game. It's talking about the Leading Teams inspired dressing down of GAJ and the aftermath.

Axe Man
07-09-2017, 01:59 PM
Western Bulldogs trading Jake Stringer would be absolute madness, writes Sam Edmund (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/western-bulldogs-trading-jake-stringer-would-be-absolute-madness-writes-sam-edmund/news-story/be7dacb2fd36bd217ae13e77d2595112)

THIS is the Western Bulldogs’ Steve Johnson moment.

Geelong was a shambles in late 2006 and flicking Johnson was set to be part of a shake-up at the Cattery.

Johnson, like Stringer, was a mercurial, yet slightly wayward young forward.

Johnson, like Stringer, was 23 years old.

Rewind 11 years and ‘Stevie J’ was seen as something of a bad egg. He broke his ankle jumping off a roof trying to get back into a Torquay hotel in 2003.

In late 2006 he was arrested for public drunkenness in Wangaratta, ostracised by the club and not allowed to play seniors until Round 6.

Collingwood were going to trade for Johnson in ‘06 but were put off by the medical report.

But the penny dropped in spectacular fashion and six months later Johnson was a Norm Smith Medallist and premiership player.

Trading Stringer would be pure madness.

We all know why he’s had a tough 12 months. Off the field, as a young father he’s battled personal problems and been forced to deny “bulls ...” rumours.

On it, he’s been bothered by injuries.

But this is an All-Australian forward and No. 5 draft pick history says is yet to reach the peak of his powers.

If the Dogs can’t get around him and make him feel happy again, especially with the man management messiah Luke Beveridge in charge, it’s an indictment on the club.

For the key to the Western Bulldogs replicating Hawthorn in recovering from a 2009-style premiership hangover is keeping its young matchwinning stars together.

There’s no doubt Stringer is one of those.

MrMahatma
07-09-2017, 02:38 PM
Western Bulldogs trading Jake Stringer would be absolute madness, writes Sam Edmund (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/western-bulldogs-trading-jake-stringer-would-be-absolute-madness-writes-sam-edmund/news-story/be7dacb2fd36bd217ae13e77d2595112)

THIS is the Western Bulldogs’ Steve Johnson moment.

Geelong was a shambles in late 2006 and flicking Johnson was set to be part of a shake-up at the Cattery.

Johnson, like Stringer, was a mercurial, yet slightly wayward young forward.

Johnson, like Stringer, was 23 years old.

Rewind 11 years and ‘Stevie J’ was seen as something of a bad egg. He broke his ankle jumping off a roof trying to get back into a Torquay hotel in 2003.

In late 2006 he was arrested for public drunkenness in Wangaratta, ostracised by the club and not allowed to play seniors until Round 6.

Collingwood were going to trade for Johnson in ‘06 but were put off by the medical report.

But the penny dropped in spectacular fashion and six months later Johnson was a Norm Smith Medallist and premiership player.

Trading Stringer would be pure madness.

We all know why he’s had a tough 12 months. Off the field, as a young father he’s battled personal problems and been forced to deny “bulls ...” rumours.

On it, he’s been bothered by injuries.

But this is an All-Australian forward and No. 5 draft pick history says is yet to reach the peak of his powers.

If the Dogs can’t get around him and make him feel happy again, especially with the man management messiah Luke Beveridge in charge, it’s an indictment on the club.

For the key to the Western Bulldogs replicating Hawthorn in recovering from a 2009-style premiership hangover is keeping its young matchwinning stars together.

There’s no doubt Stringer is one of those.

I agree with this fully.

Many of our list were down on last year, and not many of them were battling the personal problems Jake was. He's an out and out superstar in the making, we just need to do everything in our power to help him get there.

Comparisons with other players are great, but I think the real point is that footy clubs are made up of all sorts of blokes and in the end they aren't robots.

LostDoggy
07-09-2017, 04:37 PM
My take from Wallis's comments is that we have offered Stringer a contraction extension to stay at the Kennel beyond 2018, but have possibly included some caveats regarding performance and attitude and the $ figure might be about the same, or even less than what he's currently on. Stringer finds this insulting and doesn't want to commit.

bornadog
07-09-2017, 04:51 PM
From SEN (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/09/07/exit-meeting-home-truths-behind-stringer-bust-up-ox/)

David Schwarz has detailed what occurred in an end of season exit meeting which has led to reports that star forward Jake Stringer has fallen out with the Western Bulldogs and could be set to depart the club.

Last night, Channel Nine’s The Footy Show reported that the 23-year-old is considering his future after becoming unhappy at the Bulldogs.

Schwarz said that Stringer’s yearly season review meeting with Bulldogs coaches and key staff is the reason why he may be wearing different guernsey in 2018.

“Jake Stringer had an exit meeting with the Western Bulldogs and was pretty confident that when he walked in there that there’s been some extenuating circumstances for some of the things that have gone on this year, so he walked in rather confident that things would be alright,” Schwarz explained on SEN’s The Run Home.

“Half way through the meeting things broke down severely, he walked out and was very, very, very annoyed and upset about what was said.

“A lot of home truths were said about his preparation, his training, his rehabilitation, the way he has presented himself to the club – often late, and a myriad of other things.

“No doubt they are a long way apart at the moment, the Western Bulldogs and Jake Stringer."

Schwarz said that there is already one club who is interested in obtaining the 2016 premiership forward’s services.

“North Melbourne (have) a lot of interest towards Jake.”

Stringer has kicked 160 goals in 89 career matches after being selected at pick six in the 2012 draft, but has suffered from a slump in form over the past 12 months and averaged just 1.4 goals per game this season — his lowest output since 2014
Wallis knows this and that is why he says it is up to Stringer.

The thing is if he cracks the shits, does he think it will be any better at another club. The coach will demand the same from him. It comes down to whether you take your football seriously. Talent alone doesn't get you to be elite, you need to work hard at anything, and he will reap the rewards if he does.

ledge
07-09-2017, 05:22 PM
Problem is we have a very young group and winning the flag at 20-24 years of age at a club of our history and being adored by the fans can make you think your king of the mountain, I don't think it's the clubs fault or the players , it's immaturity, lets face it at that age and you win a flag who wasn't out going berserk ?
The club needs to be strong and hopefully these young guys mature and see that it's a decade journey not one year.
I feel sorry for Jake and his family , that's hard stuff to get over, but I'm sure the club would understand all this and it's more the things he can control that he isn't than the uncontrollable they are worried about.
I hope he calms down and realises his full potential is through hard work, desire, hunger and the will to win at any cost.
We all know Jake is a very special player and could be anything if his head is right.
He also needs to realise that what we are asking from him is the same as any other club he goes to will be asking for. I hope we can work this out and he stays.

Eastdog
07-09-2017, 05:26 PM

He sounded honest to me.

Yeah I tend to agree BAD. Stringer certainly has been out of form and I know he has had issues outside of footy to deal which has probably played a role in his form drop but when you are a player at a footy club and you paid you need make the effort and put in 100% for the team each week. Hopefully he knuckles down this pre season and can really apply himself in 2018 as we know he has a heap of talent.

Webby
07-09-2017, 05:38 PM
Not really feeling this one. Seems a stock standard, harsh exit interview was had. Jake's either going to sulk or realise his potential by really seeing what his uber talented body can produce after an enormous pre season.

The initial soul searching and leaning on mates is inevitable. It's the subsequent, longer term reaction that counts. If that is sulking, let's trade him. If it's to go for broke, then great. But someone had to deliver ver a blunt message and it seems we did - which is pleasing.

ledge
07-09-2017, 05:51 PM
To be honest he couldnt be playing golf with a more dedicated bloke than Mitch Wallis .. That's an upside and if he is hanging out with the right players and Mitch told him just buckle down mate ( which it seems has happened) . That's a good thing , now what we want is Jake to train with blokes like Mitch in the off season, keep him focussed and on the straight and narrow. Blow some smoke up his arse , tell him how good he can be but tell him to follow your lead.

comrade
07-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Assuming all this is reasonably accurate, is anyone else concerned at how public this has become so quickly. Was Jake on the phone to journos the minute he stepped out telling them how ****ed off he is. Seems every man and his dog knows what went down in the meeting.

More leaks than the Titanic down at the club at the moment. Where's PG?

Happy Days
07-09-2017, 06:29 PM
Assuming all this is reasonably accurate, is anyone else concerned at how public this has become so quickly. Was Jake on the phone to journos the minute he stepped out telling them how ****ed off he is. Seems every man and his dog knows what went down in the meeting.

Maybe he punted the garbage can that Barrett was hiding in on the way out?

ledge
07-09-2017, 06:32 PM

Journos everywhere especially out the front of clubs doing exit meetings, wouldn't be hard to pick up what's going on.

ledge
07-09-2017, 06:36 PM
Worse case scenario . Stringer goes , it would take an awful lot to get him.
Nth on the radar .. Would we take pick 4 ? Would they offer it ?

Remi Moses
07-09-2017, 06:45 PM
Some of the tripe dished up is just incredible .
There's some friction between McCartney and Darymple according to the grub ( Barrett) amazing what you can glean living in a rubbish bin . Then there's David Schwartz saying Stringer has walked out on the club . Pretty big difference being annoyed at an exit meeting and walking out on the club . Then he said there's outside issues . Have the courage of your convictions and say what they are
That's the issue now there's so much opinion and comment that they just say anything .

ledge
07-09-2017, 07:43 PM
Some of the tripe dished up is just incredible .
There's some friction between McCartney and Darymple according to the grub ( Barrett) amazing what you can glean living in a rubbish bin . Then there's David Schwartz saying Stringer has walked out on the club . Pretty big difference being annoyed at an exit meeting and walking out on the club . Then he said there's outside issues . Have the courage of your convictions and say what they are
That's the issue now there's so much opinion and comment that they just say anything .

They are experts at saying things that are very vague but insinuate things so the social media goes into hysterics.
Jealous of the premiership after all the tripe they laid On us when the Griffen off season walk out happened so it's kind of a revenge thing they have waited to jump on

ledge
07-09-2017, 07:45 PM
I just wish PG would come out and give the loyal fans some sort of optimistic comment instead of letting us get media bashed and leave us all in the lurch, making it worse.

Eastdog
07-09-2017, 07:56 PM
7 sport saying the Cats could be an option for Jake and that he is really on the outer and we are going to put him on the trade table. Once again more rumours to keep us wondering.

bulldogtragic
07-09-2017, 08:06 PM
7 sport saying the Cats could be an option for Jake and that he is really on the outer and we are going to put him on the trade table. Once again more rumours to keep us wondering.

Nothing worthwhile to trade. No salary cap room. I see the fact checker was made redundant, and some time ago.

Flamethrower
07-09-2017, 08:08 PM
Send him to the Gold Coast for Tom Lynch & Peter Wright

GVGjr
07-09-2017, 08:10 PM
Nothing worthwhile to trade. No salary cap room. I see the fact checker was made redundant, and some time ago.

It's not like you to close the door :) I mean this in the nicest possible way but as WOOF's List Manager, you need to get to work.

ledge
07-09-2017, 08:20 PM
Let's face it every club will be linked to Stringer and it wouldn't be right for a club not to ask the question.

ledge
07-09-2017, 08:22 PM
My god I hope he stays just to make all these so called experts walk around with egg on their face for months.

ledge
07-09-2017, 08:23 PM
From dusty to Jake and we know how the dusty thing worked out.
And not one media person admit being wrong about him signed and gone to north.

boydogs
07-09-2017, 08:24 PM
Stringer has kicked 160 goals in 89 career matches after being selected at pick six in the 2012 draft, but has suffered from a slump in form over the past 12 months and averaged just 1.4 goals per game this season — his lowest output since 2014

Stringer was pick 5

There's obviously something to this given Wallis' comments, but not convinced he is definitely going

bornadog
07-09-2017, 08:39 PM

Amazing isn't it. Probably only a couple of people in the meeting yet everyone knows everything.

I go by the old saying believe nothing you read and half of what people tell you

KT31
07-09-2017, 08:39 PM
I just wish PG would come out and give the loyal fans some sort of optimistic comment instead of letting us get media bashed and leave us all in the lurch, making it worse.

I had this chat with a Mate a few weeks back, not really a peep this year and something does really need to be said.

Nuggety Back Pocket
07-09-2017, 08:57 PM
To be honest he couldnt be playing golf with a more dedicated bloke than Mitch Wallis .. That's an upside and if he is hanging out with the right players and Mitch told him just buckle down mate ( which it seems has happened) . That's a good thing , now what we want is Jake to train with blokes like Mitch in the off season, keep him focussed and on the straight and narrow. Blow some smoke up his arse , tell him how good he can be but tell him to follow your lead.

Also shares a house with Caleb Daniel and Josh Prudden so he is surrounded by good people.Jake has struggled for form for the past two years and you would hope that common sense prevails and that he can get back to playing the type of football that would see him return to his best.

jeemak
07-09-2017, 09:04 PM

Bingo.

It could be the apparent three coaching/list management personnel in the meeting just couldn't all keep mum about the meeting's content, or, it could be an extremely one-sided version of events has been aired by Stringer to somebody, and relayed to all and sundry.

In this type of scenario, who has the most to gain from airing this type of information?

The club gets a bit out of it, if they actually want to announce that Stringer is on the market. The player manager gets to create tension in the market and earn a higher commission for a player coming out of contract within 12 months.

Stringer could be the type of guy who lets things out when emotional without thinking of the consequences of doing so in front of people he doesn't really know or shouldn't trust. He could have leaked it himself intentionally.

Which one do you reckon it might be? Oh, and stop picking on the Titanic, it only had one real leak.

bulldogtragic
07-09-2017, 09:21 PM
It's not like you to close the door :) I mean this in the nicest possible way but as WOOF's List Manager, you need to get to work.

There's a heap of different ways to think about this. I mean lots and lots of things to think about. Hopefully he, the club or PG can just stop this wildfire turning into an extreme bushfire for the club and members/fans, and if he goes that could seriously change the club's list management plans and contingencies we had going into the FA window and trade window. I just hope no mistakes are made or opportunities lost if this is actually a thing.

Bulldog Revolution
07-09-2017, 09:21 PM
After the season we had, commentators are going to speculate about our players and list - its the easy story

Im sure we can get on top of a few of these spot fires and get our boys back, fit, and up and running

FrediKanoute
07-09-2017, 09:24 PM
This is an overreaction. Stringer is no the type of player you trade, whether its Bevo driving it or not.

What concerns me is how a guy can walk into an end of season appraisal and have no inkling that his review is going to be negative. As a manager, you are taught/told that if there is bad news the worst thing you can do is unload at a year end appraisal, you have to give a person the opportunity to address the performance issues.

Bevo is no idiot, so either Jake hasn't been listening or the leadership team hasn't been providing accurate feedback. either way is a major breakdown in the manager systems of the club.

I really thought we were past this crap

jeemak
07-09-2017, 09:43 PM
This is an overreaction. Stringer is no the type of player you trade, whether its Bevo driving it or not.

What concerns me is how a guy can walk into an end of season appraisal and have no inkling that his review is going to be negative. As a manager, you are taught/told that if there is bad news the worst thing you can do is unload at a year end appraisal, you have to give a person the opportunity to address the performance issues.

Bevo is no idiot, so either Jake hasn't been listening or the leadership team hasn't been providing accurate feedback. either way is a major breakdown in the manager systems of the club.

I really thought we were past this crap

Perhaps Jake doesn't listen to feedback if it's subtle?

I work with a guy who blatantly argued with a previous boss and I as his colleague, when we gently told him his style in interacting and presenting himself isn't one that screams initiative, inclusiveness and ambition. This is a guy who continually rated himself extremely well in half yearly reviews and full year reviews, irrespective of measurement criteria and his performance.

How surprised was he during a most recent restructure when he didn't get proactively placed in a box in the new org chart? How much did he learn from that situation, versus how much he pissed and moaned about how unfair it was?

Some people have opinions of themselves that will never be matched with compromise or actual output. Let's not pretend Jake couldn't possibly be a candidate for this type of behaviour trait.

FrediKanoute
07-09-2017, 09:49 PM
Perhaps Jake doesn't listen to feedback if it's subtle?

I work with a guy who blatantly argued with a previous boss and I as his colleague, when we gently told him his style in interacting and presenting himself isn't one that screams initiative, inclusiveness and ambition. This is a guy who continually rated himself extremely well in half yearly reviews and full year reviews, irrespective of measurement criteria and his performance.

How surprised was he during a most recent restructure when he didn't get proactively placed in a box in the new org chart? How much did he learn from that situation, versus how much he pissed and moaned about how unfair it was?

Some people have opinions of themselves that will never be matched with compromise or actual output. Let's not pretend Jake couldn't possibly be a candidate for this type of behaviour trait.

Agree. Jake is probably the perfect candidate. That said - if he isn't listening and getting the subtle messages, then why wait till the end of season review? Far better to have that conversation in June or when he was coming back from rehab than at the end of a season when he can do SWA about it!

KT31
07-09-2017, 09:52 PM
Agree. Jake is probably the perfect candidate. That said - if he isn't listening and getting the subtle messages, then why wait till the end of season review? Far better to have that conversation in June or when he was coming back from rehab than at the end of a season when he can do SWA about it!

We don't know they didn't.

soupman
07-09-2017, 10:12 PM
In a way should it all have gone down as suggested then maybe it's a good thing we missed finals.

If we go deep into finals and then this happens, Stringer has 2-3 weeks to calm down, talk to people and make a considered decision. Instead he will get over a month to hear a variety of opinions and influences and hopefully for us decide to stay.

SonofScray
07-09-2017, 11:12 PM
This was probably his first season having to look after himself at home and deal with the mental load of looking after kids solo, cooking his dinner, being prepared etc. when you are a bit of a mess emotionally and ill equipped to deal with some day to day stuff you're not going to perform well at work.

jazzadogs
08-09-2017, 02:19 AM
Let's not beat around the bush. There is no doubt in my mind that Stringer is, intentional or otherwise, the source of the leak. He is the exact sort of guy to walk out of the meeting, hot-headed, and text one of his mates about how the meeting was bullshit, they didn't listen to me, they told me all this stuff I did wrong etc etc. It doesn't take much for that information to spread.

As for his actual reaction and whether or not this was the first time he had heard it, let's not forget that he was dropped last year. I'd be amazed if the feedback given then was any different to the feedback given now. If the issues are related to being late, poor adherence to rehab programs, poor commitment - there is no way that this hasn't been discussed earlier in the year. As jeemak said, it's the ability to respond to that feedback that matters.

At the end of the day, I hope we have the man management capabilities to keep Jake. He is a generational talent and there is next to no chance that we achieve a trade which equals his talent. But if home truths have been delivered and he is still unable to deal with that after calming down, then I think we have failed each other and moving on is the best option.

We need to make sure the reaction is not hysterical, but is well-reasoned and discussed over multiple meetings. The Stevie J example is a good one, and his response is something that I hope Joel Corey can have a chat to Jake about. I hope he stays and fulfils his potential in our colours.

Bullies
08-09-2017, 09:23 AM
The relationship could be beyond repair by all accounts. The club is already looking at the best deal out there and once that happens it is hard to repair. Also if he does play out next year and it is ordinary again we won't be getting a first rounder or a decent player for him. Would love to keep him but not sure the two parties are on the same page. Beveridge might have had enough.

Twodogs
08-09-2017, 09:44 AM
The relationship could be beyond repair by all accounts. The club is already looking at the best deal out there and once that happens it is hard to repair. Also if he does play out next year and it is ordinary again we won't be getting a first rounder or a decent player for him. Would love to keep him but not sure the two parties are on the same page. Beveridge might have had enough.

Where was all this?

dadsgirl16
08-09-2017, 10:34 AM
apparently has nominated Geelong as choice of club..who knows

KT31
08-09-2017, 11:38 AM
apparently has nominated Geelong as choice of club..who knows

Where has this been reported, dg16 ?
If the case it would suggest to me he or manager has been in talks with Geelong previously or for sometime.

Mofra
08-09-2017, 11:50 AM
At the end of the day, I hope we have the man management capabilities to keep Jake. He is a generational talent and there is next to no chance that we achieve a trade which equals his talent. But if home truths have been delivered and he is still unable to deal with that after calming down, then I think we have failed each other and moving on is the best option.

We need to make sure the reaction is not hysterical, but is well-reasoned and discussed over multiple meetings. The Stevie J example is a good one, and his response is something that I hope Joel Corey can have a chat to Jake about. I hope he stays and fulfils his potential in our colours.
Stevie J is a good one, and it's worth noting it was his teammates (rather than coaching staff) that finally got through to him.

Josh Gibson was an unfit party boy early in his career. North trade him for two first rounders, he ends up winning 2 B&Fs in premiership years. I suspect Stringer won't hit his 2015 form again until he's 25 or 26 but if we can convince him to stay it will be worth it longer term.

Hotdog60
08-09-2017, 12:50 PM
It looks like the Saints are putting their 2 cents worth in.

LINK (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-08/incredibly-elite-dog-could-bolster-saints-engine-room)

ledge
08-09-2017, 01:20 PM
It looks like the Saints are putting their 2 cents worth in.

LINK (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-08/incredibly-elite-dog-could-bolster-saints-engine-room)

Generic question , generic answer.

azabob
08-09-2017, 01:23 PM
From what I've read it appears Geelong and North have been discussing Stringer well before this week.

jeemak
08-09-2017, 01:31 PM
Yep, this looks like more of a strategic play rather than a simple falling out. I figure it's on the basis of a higher pay day than what we'd likely offer given we know him warts and all.

bornadog
08-09-2017, 02:40 PM
Yep, this looks like more of a strategic play rather than a simple falling out. I figure it's on the basis of a higher pay day than what we'd likely offer given we know him warts and all.

We need to stitch up The Bont very quickly, otherwise, we will be hearing this shit for all of 2018.

I don't think I will be able to survive. :mad:

bulldogsthru&thru
08-09-2017, 02:45 PM
We need to stitch up The Bont very quickly, otherwise, we will be hearing this shit for all of 2018.

If we ever lost Bont i would become a lumberjack in some far away forest in Alaska just to never hear about AFL again

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-09-2017, 03:13 PM

Maybe I'm being far too cynical but i can't foresee a scenario where Bont's management would want him to sign early. I think as a manager he'd want to leverage the situation as much as possible to ensure a maximum dollar outcome for his client.
I'm dreading season 2019 already for that very reason.

Bulldog4life
08-09-2017, 03:23 PM
If Jake thinks by going to another Club it will be easier for him and he won't be listening to any home truths he is in for a rude shock. Get your act together Jake accept the constructive criticism and pull your finger out. The club is always stronger than the individual.

The bulldog tragician
08-09-2017, 03:25 PM

I can't bear to think about this prospect. To think of the high we were on this time last year. The silence from the club about Jake seems very ominous.

bulldogtragic
08-09-2017, 03:32 PM
I can't bear to think about this prospect. To think of the high we were on this time last year. The silence from the club about Jake seems very ominous.

Yep. These guys said it better than I ever can:

Hello darkness, my old friend. I've come to talk with you again. Because a vision softly creeping, left its seeds while I was sleeping. And the vision that was planted in my brain, still remains. Within the sound of silence.

LostDoggy
08-09-2017, 03:33 PM
Are there any facts in the public domain around any of this speculation?

jeemak
08-09-2017, 03:36 PM

Peter Gordon said the rumours were baseless at this point and all players are under scrutiny presently, on 774 this morning.

What do you want the club to do if it actually wants to trade Jake out if the right deal can be done?

bulldogtragic
08-09-2017, 03:38 PM
Peter Gordon said the rumours were baseless at this point and all players are under scrutiny presently, on 774 this morning.

What do you want the club to do if it actually wants to trade Jake out if the right deal can be done?

"Jake is not only contracted, but he's a required player and has the full support of the board and coaches".

Then trade him.

bornadog
08-09-2017, 03:50 PM
Are there any facts in the public domain around any of this speculation?

Absolute Zero facts. Only Wallis comments above. PG says Wallis' comments could relate to any player.

bulldogtragic
08-09-2017, 03:52 PM
Absolute Zero facts. Only Wallis comments above. PG says Wallis' comments could relate to any player.

Great lawyers response.

WBFC4FFC
08-09-2017, 04:10 PM
From what I've read it appears Geelong and North have been discussing Stringer well before this week.

Doesn't his ex live in Geelong these days? Get her in the western suburbs so it's easier to see the kids.

Twodogs
08-09-2017, 05:05 PM
Great lawyers response.

He's a great lawyer.

The bulldog tragician
08-09-2017, 05:26 PM

I was initially referring to the idea of Bont having a dragged out contract negotiation.

The problem with all these situations is that, as fans, we never get to hear the whole story. We get bits and pieces, things a bloke at the pub heard, 'insights' from footy journos and endless reading of the tea leaves of anything that may have been said e.g. wallis' comments.

If Jake does get traded we will most likely never know whether he was indeed 'unprofessional' in his preparation or what that may have meant. There will be cliches from player and club, but we'll never actually know the extent of the issues, could they have been worked through, was there too much pride at stake for one or another of the parties, and a whole lot of other variables. So I don't have the foggiest if Jake should be traded and what's the right deal if so because we will never have the full facts and real knowledge of what's been going on.

He's an exceptional talent but there have been many exceptional talents who remain frustrating, under achieving and enigmatic and many of them who take a while to grow up. Think Jake might be in latter category so I hope like hell things can work out.

1eyedog
08-09-2017, 06:14 PM
Reports that if Stringer goes we'll re-sign Crammers and if he stays Crammers is gone. It appears one will be used as trade bait and it is unlikely we'll keep them both.

ledge
08-09-2017, 06:53 PM
Reports that if Stringer goes we'll re-sign Crammers and if he stays Crammers is gone. It appears one will be used as trade bait and it is unlikely we'll keep them both.

Ones under contract the other isn't so we would get SFA for Crameri.
I think Crameri was told to look around at his exit meeting going by his comments about his manager looking at options.

HOSE B ROMERO
08-09-2017, 07:03 PM
My labrador Winkie, relayed a message to me that she had heard via Doodle the poodle, that 99 percent of rumours, inuendo and stories are not worthy of cocking your leg at....

HOSE B ROMERO
08-09-2017, 07:12 PM
If Jake comes back playing at 70 per cent of his all Australian season, i would be more than happy. A dozen touches including some 'Stringer magic' moments a week is what drags people off their couch to the footy. He's one of the few players who can do something so outrageous that it makes me laugh out loud in wonderment.

ledge
08-09-2017, 07:28 PM
My labrador Winkie, relayed a message to me that she had heard via Doodle the poodle, that 99 percent of rumours, inuendo and stories are not worthy of cocking your leg at....

I find it hard to believe you have a talking Labrador.

Bullies
08-09-2017, 07:45 PM
Reports that if Stringer goes we'll re-sign Crammers and if he stays Crammers is gone. It appears one will be used as trade bait and it is unlikely we'll keep them both. Crameri has already been told they are happy for him to look elsewhere. He wont change his mind if Jake goes.

The Adelaide Connection
08-09-2017, 09:19 PM
Also shares a house with Caleb Daniel and Josh Prudden so he is surrounded by good people.Jake has struggled for form for the past two years and you would hope that common sense prevails and that he can get back to playing the type of football that would see him return to his best.

Prudden has just been given the chop so it might have moved to two against one.

Doc26
08-09-2017, 09:43 PM
Doesn't his ex live in Geelong these days? Get her in the western suburbs so it's easier to see the kids.

If Jake thinks a de-brief with Bevo is hard work, someone should remind him that going to Geelong also means having to mix with Harry Taylor. Now that would take real commitment.

macca
08-09-2017, 09:54 PM
If Jake thinks a de-brief with Bevo is hard work, someone should remind him that going to Geelong also means having to mix with Harry Taylor. Now that would take real commitment.. Taylor planning and preparations have been known to be meticulous. He keeps a diary of every single player he has played against. His work rate would be collosal compared to stringer. And expect some tough conversations with the coach.

Doc26
08-09-2017, 10:02 PM
. Taylor planning and preparations have been known to be meticulous. He keeps a diary of every single player he has played against. His work rate would be collosal compared to stringer. And expect some tough conversations with the coach.

Maybe but he's an arrogant SOB who found some sick pleasure in sledging Jake on the final siren after our last loss to them down there. Jake didn't take it well.

ledge
11-09-2017, 07:54 PM
Maybe but he's an arrogant SOB who found some sick pleasure in sledging Jake on the final siren after our last loss to them down there. Jake didn't take it well.

Maybe he told him some home truths as well.
Seems Jake doesn't take any criticism well.

Doc26
11-09-2017, 11:04 PM
Maybe he told him some home truths as well.
Seems Jake doesn't take any criticism well.

If memory serves me correctly wasn't it alleged that Jake Stringer who was one of those most vocal against Brendan McCartney's approach with the players? Is this a bit of history repeating?

KT31
12-09-2017, 12:11 AM
If memory serves me correctly wasn't it alleged that Jake Stringer who was one of those most vocal against Brendan McCartney's approach with the players? Is this a bit of history repeating?
Apparently walked into Gordens office and said he was 100% behind the club, from all reports he hasn't backed it up.

Rocket Science
12-09-2017, 02:10 AM
Hardwick said something interesting on Talking Footy tonight while being quizzed about Dustin Martin's ascendency.

He reckoned he can't take much credit because Dusty plays on instinct, but made the point Martin's now "doing the things (off field preparation, looking after himself) I never thought I'd see him do" because he now knows what's required to reach these levels and stay at the top of his game.

Maybe the club should get Dusty and Jake in the same room together.

bornadog
12-09-2017, 01:23 PM
Hardwick said something interesting on Talking Footy tonight while being quizzed about Dustin Martin's ascendency.

He reckoned he can't take much credit because Dusty plays on instinct, but made the point Martin's now "doing the things (off field preparation, looking after himself) I never thought I'd see him do" because he now knows what's required to reach these levels and stay at the top of his game.

Maybe the club should get Dusty and Jake in the same room together.

Dusty did the right thing which has now lead him to earn huge dollars.

What Jake needs to do is knuckle down, become a super star then go for the big dollars. No one is going to give him a 1 milion plus right now. You have to work hard for money like that. Talent alone is not good enough

Mantis
12-09-2017, 03:17 PM
Dusty did the right thing which has now lead him to earn huge dollars.

What Jake needs to do is knuckle down, become a super star then go for the big dollars. No one is going to give him a 1 milion plus right now. You have to work hard for money like that. Talent alone is not good enough

I would think Norf would offer up something close to that, maybe not a mil plus, but something like $4mil over 5 years... they are desperate to bring in a ''name'' player.

bornadog
12-09-2017, 03:23 PM
I would think Norf would offer up something close to that, maybe not a mil plus, but something like $4mil over 5 years... they are desperate to bring in a ''name'' player.

What are they prepared to give back to us? Pick4 swap, plus Goldy?

Bulldog4life
12-09-2017, 07:15 PM
But a full pre-season and I think adding a little bit more responsibility from a leadership point of view will be a good thing as well. Maybe mentor a few kids and tell him that he's responsible for some of the young draftees coming through to set the example, just put him a little bit more in the spotlight with those kind of things.

"And keep having those hard conversations if he doesn't live up to the standards that we're upholding."

The above from the original article which I obtained from the link shows me that Wally, and I presume other players, are happy with the coaches having the hard conversations with Jake. Wally mentions that it would be good for Jake to be given leadership responsibilities and mentoring young players would be good for him. Now this is not from the club but a fellow responsible player. To be given those responsibilities Jake would appear to have to make big changes in his professionalism.

ledge
12-09-2017, 07:30 PM
But a full pre-season and I think adding a little bit more responsibility from a leadership point of view will be a good thing as well. Maybe mentor a few kids and tell him that he's responsible for some of the young draftees coming through to set the example, just put him a little bit more in the spotlight with those kind of things.

"And keep having those hard conversations if he doesn't live up to the standards that we're upholding."

The above from the original article which I obtained from the link shows me that Wally, and I presume other players, are happy with the coaches having the hard conversations with Jake. Wally mentions that it would be good for Jake to be given leadership responsibilities and mentoring young players would be good for him. Now this is not from the club but a fellow responsible player. To be given those responsibilities Jake would appear to have to make big changes in his professionalism.

I guess it means he has the option of staying and the ball is in his court, we hear he wants to stay and we are prepared to keep him if he does what's required .. Just maybe he isn't going anywhere and having a good think about where he wants to be and how to do it, obviously the players want him but only if he shows he can be 100% with us .. That's normal I would say when your on a decent wage.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-09-2017, 10:02 PM
Mark Stevens reporting Jake won't be at Dogs next year and that Richmond are also chasing him.
Break a leg Jake.

ledge
12-09-2017, 11:04 PM
And now it's Richmond, they are just naming every Victorian club .

BornInDroopSt'54
13-09-2017, 10:22 AM
And now it's Richmond, they are just naming every Victorian club .

I so hope you are right Ledge and it's just a case of fake news. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing. Mark Stevens had plenty to report on with Dusty fav. for the awards last night and this weeks finals yet he also 'reported' that Stringer won't be back now and that Richmond had joined North and spew Essendon in soliciting him. He didn't have to say Jake won't be back at the Dogs but he said it with authority. Hopefully he is unprofessional and muck raking.
I agree with GvGjr that the more chasers the better and it pushes Jakes price although I'm unsure how this improves our compensation.

comrade
13-09-2017, 10:24 AM
I so hope you are right Ledge and it's just a case of fake news. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing. Mark Stevens had plenty to report on with Dusty fav. for the awards last night and this weeks finals yet he also 'reported' that Stringer won't be back now and that Richmond had joined North and spew Essendon in soliciting him. He didn't have to say Jake won't be back at the Dogs but he said it with authority. Hopefully he is unprofessional and muck raking.
I agree with GvGjr that the more chasers the better and it pushes Jakes price although I'm unsure how this improves our compensation.

I think you have to prepare yourself for the prospect of seeing Stringer in different colours next year. Where there is this amount of smoke, there is fire.

ledge
13-09-2017, 10:35 AM
I think you have to prepare yourself for the prospect of seeing Stringer in different colours next year. Where there is this amount of smoke, there is fire.

Maybe he is gone but it was the same amount of fire going on with Dusty twice ! Remember his previous contract ?
He shopped around and no one would touch him.
Might be the case here as well.
But I agree if he goes we will move on . We did it with aplomb just two years ago.