PDA

View Full Version : Koch rant at players

Topdog
11-09-2017, 04:41 PM
Absolutely staggering comments by Koch here

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/david-koch-fires-off-at-port-adelaide-after-thrilling-finals-loss/news-story/4f5b0eb1bdacf743b605b96f16007177

PORT Adelaide chairman David Koch has put his AFL club’s players on notice — play for premierships or play somewhere else.
The Power chairman spoke of his blunt warning at a supporters’ function after the Power’s heartbreaking extra-time elimination final loss to West Coast at Adelaide Oval.
Koch addressed the players immediately after Saturday night’s game and told them the club remained committed to ensuring they have the support they need to succeed.
“But while we make that commitment they’ve got to make a commitment to us,” Koch said.
“They’ve got to make a commitment to play to instructions, to play with composure.
“And we don’t want players who are living their dream just by playing AFL footy. “We want players who want to win a premiership.
“If they’re not prepared; if they’re just playing for us because they love to play AFL, they’re not players that we want.
“If they’re not prepared to win a premiership for this club, we basically don’t want them. Let us know and we’ll trade them.
“It’s not a one-off, it’s not a one-out and they’ve got to make the big moments count.” Koch told the audience the team was gutted by the outcome of the match that was decided after the siren by a goal to the Eagles’ Luke Shuey. But he added that coach Ken Hinkley had no sympathy for them and didn’t hold back in his assessment of the performance punctuated by squandered goalscoring opportunities.
After the match, Hinkley staunchly defended his decision to go with a youthful team at the expense of more-experienced campaigners — most notably veteran defender Jackson Trengove.
But Koch wasn’t as emphatic in his support of the bold selection move. “We played a young side tonight; jury’s out whether we should have,” he said. “But let me tell you, they learnt a bloody lot from tonight. “Hopefully it counts for something because we are really hurting.”

Happy Days
11-09-2017, 04:45 PM
"If they're not prepared to win a premiership, we basically don't want them. Let us know and we’ll trade them."

Or: "if they aren't good, we don't want them, and we'll look to trade them for players that are good"

ledge
11-09-2017, 04:50 PM
Stringer won't be going to Port then.

Twodogs
11-09-2017, 04:54 PM
Isn't that Port's credo "we exist to win premierships" I'm sure that I read that somewhere.

bornadog
11-09-2017, 05:21 PM
Stringer won't be going to Port then.

Stringer won't be going anywhere

bornadog
11-09-2017, 05:21 PM
Isn't that Port's credo "we exist to win premierships" I'm sure that I read that somewhere.

Isn't any clubs

Mantis
11-09-2017, 05:32 PM

Just your thoughts or has it been confirmed he is staying?

chef
11-09-2017, 05:45 PM

Sadly it doesnt seem thats the case

bornadog
11-09-2017, 05:49 PM
Just your thoughts or has it been confirmed he is staying?

My thoughts.

I actually hate any discussion confirming he is leaving and what trades we would get, until it is confirmed. I am not basing my thoughts on dumb arse Barrett.

Twodogs
11-09-2017, 06:02 PM
Isn't any clubs

It's part of their motto or whatever you call it at Port. It's not just on the Mission Statement, it's their Raisin D'être.

ledge
11-09-2017, 06:04 PM
My thoughts.

I actually hate any discussion confirming he is leaving and what trades we would get, until it is confirmed. I am not basing my thoughts on dumb arse Barrett.

I have no idea if he is going either , I look at it this way he either takes the exit interview as positive feedback on how to improve and becomes what we know he can be, or he sooks up and leaves.
To be honest what Kosch has said is probably much the same as a lot of what our players would have got at their exit interviews.

Rocket Science
11-09-2017, 06:08 PM
Absolutely staggering comments by Koch here

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/david-koch-fires-off-at-port-adelaide-after-thrilling-finals-loss/news-story/4f5b0eb1bdacf743b605b96f16007177

Extraordinary. I'm sure the players appreciated hearing that from the Chairman.

One wonders if it's a preemptive exhibition of support for the coach who might be in the gun of other board members ...

chef
11-09-2017, 06:20 PM
My thoughts.

Stevo seems certain he's out the door, would he be going this hard on it if he didn't have a fair idea it was happening?

bornadog
11-09-2017, 06:22 PM
Stevo seems certain he's out the door, would he be going this hard on it if he didn't have a fair idea it was happening?

He just believes Barrett is right

ledge
11-09-2017, 06:25 PM
To be fair to Stevo he would be wishing he was staying and would love to report he is staying.
I'm sure it hurts him to report he is out , so I guess it could be true.
Although maybe he was there when stringer walked out upset ., give it a few weeks people calm down and who knows.

chef
11-09-2017, 06:27 PM
He just believes Barrett is right

Serious?

I think he may have his own sources rather than just listening to a fellow journo. I doubt he'd be going this hard if he didn't actually know something.

GVGjr
11-09-2017, 07:51 PM
We can be critical of Kochie's emotional outburst but at the very least he is setting a high standard that says let us know if you just want to draw a wage and don't want to do the required work to be a success then we will see what we can do to help move you on.

I get the sentiment behind his rant but he should of handled it better.

Remi Moses
11-09-2017, 08:05 PM
Koch commenting on selections goes beyond his jurisdiction.
He isn't chairman of selectors or coach .

ledge
11-09-2017, 08:08 PM
We can be critical of Kochie's emotional outburst but at the very least he is setting a high standard that says let us know if you just want to draw a wage and don't want to do the required work to be a success then we will see what we can do to help move you on.

How goods that if your a player from interstate, you have now been given the opportunity to go home.
If I was another AFL club I would getting into home state players they have and saying he has given you a chance to come home !

Go_Dogs
11-09-2017, 08:18 PM
I don't actually mind this - we want to win flags, if you're content just playing and not invested to the required level, you may not be long for the club.

GVGjr
11-09-2017, 08:26 PM
I don't actually mind this - we want to win flags, if you're content just playing and not invested to the required level, you may not be long for the club.

We endured a pretty poor season ourselves and we should be disappointed in the results and while I don't condone Kochie's approach the message to players that just rock up to draw a very good wage isn't a bad one

Topdog
11-09-2017, 08:29 PM

And if you want to do that but not be at a club where your president comes out and criticises you publicly?

Twodogs
11-09-2017, 08:53 PM

It should never had been said in public. I understand he was upset but it was very undisciplined by the chairman. You can't be having a ping at others when you are out of control yourself.

Kochy needs to remember he is a glorified supporter, no more no less. If he got hit by a bus tomorrow Port would still be in the same position it's in now. If anyone needs to take a look at themselves it's him.

bulldogtragic
11-09-2017, 09:04 PM
I'd just ring Chad Wingard's manager and see if he wants out. It seems North did that after hearing about Jake's review. And now its a thing.

In fact, I believe there's a brewing mega trade that's starting with Wingard to dogs, Stringer to North and Port heaps of picks.

Twodogs
11-09-2017, 09:05 PM
Go to it list man.

bulldogtragic
11-09-2017, 09:06 PM
Go to it list man.

You know my source on a few things I say. This comes from that source.

Twodogs
11-09-2017, 10:35 PM
You know my source on a few things I say. This comes from that source.

Good player Wingard but he was quiet the other night. Dunno why I mentioned that.

bulldogtragic
11-09-2017, 10:42 PM
Good player Wingard but he was quiet the other night. Dunno why I mentioned that.

I compared their stats after I got the text message.

One year draft a part, drafted same range, only 9 months age different, average about the same goals per match, both AA forwards. Stringer doesn't really play taller with the extra few cm's, but Wingard gets more of the footy on average. I can see why he's a target to replace Stringer on the comparisons, but with both contracted North (or Saints) will have to heavily invest to push it through.

Twodogs
11-09-2017, 10:56 PM
I compared their stats after I got the text message.

One year draft a part, drafted same range, only 9 months age different, average about the same goals per match, both AA forwards. Stringer doesn't really play taller with the extra few cm's, but Wingard gets more of the footy on average. I can see why he's a target to replace Stringer on the comparisons, but with both contracted North (or Saints) will have to heavily invest to push it through.

That extra year Jake is signed for is worth its weight in cockie poop in this situation.

Mantis
12-09-2017, 12:24 PM
My thoughts.

I won't be basing my thoughts on outlandish comments by dumb arses on here either.

Bulldog4life
12-09-2017, 12:25 PM
I won't be basing my thoughts on outlandish comments by dumb arses on here either.

Care to name them Mantis?:)

Topdog
12-09-2017, 12:39 PM

Do you have a quota of needing to put down someone on woof every 5 posts or something?

bornadog
12-09-2017, 01:17 PM
back to the topic I guess - :rolleyes:

AndrewP6
12-09-2017, 01:35 PM
The sentiment is spot on. The delivery of it, at a function, is extremely poor form. You just don't do that to your own players.

Twodogs
12-09-2017, 02:22 PM
The sentiment is spot on. The delivery of it, at a function, is extremely poor form. You just don't do that to your own players.

Exactly. That sort of message is delivered in private. It's self indulgent and unprofessional blurting it into a microphone in public.

What's he famous for anyway? I dont know much about him. I know he's got a morning show but what's his back story? He looks a bit like a dancer, did he dance? He got famous through Lord of the Dance or that one with the rubbish bin lids didn't he?

Daughter of the West
12-09-2017, 02:36 PM
Exactly. That sort of message is delivered in private. It's self indulgent and unprofessional blurting it into a microphone in public.

What's he famous for anyway? I dont know much about him. I know he's got a morning show but what's his back story? He looks a bit like a dancer, did he dance? He got famous through Lord of the Dance or that one with the rubbish bin lids didn't he?

He's a bean counter by trade.

Never trust a bean counter. I should know, I am one!

Twodogs
12-09-2017, 02:44 PM

That was my next guess!

It wasn't a magician or anything...

jeemak
12-09-2017, 04:08 PM
I'm finding the title of this thread hilarious, when ensuring the 'ch' in Koch's name is pronounced with a firm 'ck'.

Koch ranting takes on additional layers when thought of in this way.

"I was at the footy, and this guy just started Koch ranting at the players".

Anyway, back to work.

Go_Dogs
12-09-2017, 07:33 PM
And if you want to do that but not be at a club where your president comes out and criticises you publicly?

Then play in the SANFL...

In all seriousness, it's not an approach that works for everyone but this is the industry. I'm certain it's not an off the cuff remark and was made with intent - perhaps internal messaging hasn't got the job done so a new approach is required.

jeemak
12-09-2017, 10:03 PM
Then play in the SANFL...

In all seriousness, it's not an approach that works for everyone but this is the industry. I'm certain it's not an off the cuff remark and was made with intent - perhaps internal messaging hasn't got the job done so a new approach is required.

Yes, a Koch rant.

EasternWest
15-09-2017, 09:46 AM

I don't trust you.

Signed,

Union Thug.