PDA

View Full Version : Rookie List Strategy 2018

bulldogtragic
15-09-2017, 01:43 PM
So the options are kids (from JJ to what's his name), unwanted mature players from other kids (ie Adcock) or our delistees (Prudden, Goodes, Hahn etc).

So far we was have opened up just the one spot, by delisting rookie Prudden. Leaving:

Roarke Smith - He's done three years so he needs to be elevated or delisted. He and Bevo want him to play on next year, so I'm guessing he's getting elevated.

Brad Lynch - He's got a 3rd year if he and the club want it.

NMM - He's obviously got another year if he and the club want it.

Tristan Tweedie - He's obviously got another year as a category B rookie.

So, assuming Smith gets elevated and the three boys stay on. We have two rookie list spots, plus any more category B rookies such as international players.

So what to do with our two live picks? If we assume we land Trengove we don't need any more tall defenders. Assuming Cloke retires next year and Stringer is gone, we have Redders & Tom Boyd. So a developing tall forward might be interesting. With Trengove, Roughie, Campbell, Boyd & English we probably have rucks covered too. Maybe a wirey midfielder or flanker?

Or then again with losing Bob & Boyd, should we look at an Adcock type to impose leadership on the group? Or go kids all the way?

bornadog
15-09-2017, 01:54 PM
Personally I like kids that missed getting drafted but also open to a young guy around 21 to 24 that could develop. As for positions, do we draft a ruckman from the state leagues.

lemmon
15-09-2017, 02:46 PM
On NMM, he did some good things in the VFL but do we see him becoming an AFL player?

I like his courage in the air but he's a bit of a tweener and not stacked with attributes.

The Doctor
15-09-2017, 03:16 PM
I wouldn't mind using a rookie pick on a guy like Sambono. Hasn't played a lot of footy but lighting it up in the NT and was lively as an over ager in the u/18's

bornadog
15-09-2017, 04:21 PM
On NMM, he did some good things in the VFL but do we see him becoming an AFL player?

I like his courage in the air but he's a bit of a tweener and not stacked with attributes.

I would keep him, he has impressed with some great contested marking

bornadog
15-09-2017, 04:22 PM
I wouldn't mind using a rookie pick on a guy like Sambono. Hasn't played a lot of footy but lighting it up in the NT and was lively as an over ager in the u/18's

Any more info on him Doc? Size, position you see him playing etc.

chef
15-09-2017, 05:17 PM

I watched Thunder play eveey week through a family connection and I'd be all over this. He's a little gun.

chef
15-09-2017, 05:18 PM
Any more info on him Doc? Size, position you see him playing etc.

Paper thin, but very quick and a great goal sense. Great leap on him too.

bornadog
15-09-2017, 05:25 PM
Paper thin, but very quick and a great goal sense. Great leap on him too.

Is he a midfielder?

chef
15-09-2017, 05:44 PM
Is he a midfielder?

More a forward.

bornadog
15-09-2017, 05:56 PM
More a forward.

Could be our Eddie Betts

GVGjr
15-09-2017, 07:35 PM

I think he is close and he needs another season to see how good he might be.

GVGjr
30-09-2017, 09:28 AM
I still can't work out what approach we should use with our rookie list.
Do we look to add an experienced player, do we look to raid the state leagues for players that could offer us something during the season or do we just add more youngsters that might develop into something special later on?

I tend to think we have enough developing types so I'm leaning towards getting a player that might have previously been on another senior list

ledge
30-09-2017, 10:33 AM
If we have 4 I prefer to go two experienced and two development. Reason being if you lose a player to injury who is one of the key position players I think you need experienced player to come in( no use bringing in a kid with no hardened body he will get smashed and he is too busy learning the game)
I'm not a fan of rookies playing seniors and I believe you are adding two extra senior players to your list if you rookie experience.
So balance it out and take two and two.

Smads57
30-09-2017, 05:43 PM
I'd like to see us have a good look at two experienced rookies from VFL/SANFL/WAFL eg Marcus Adams. There were a couple of able bodied defenders on both Port and Williamstown's VFL teams

Go_Dogs
03-10-2017, 02:41 PM
I still can't work out what approach we should use with our rookie list.
Do we look to add an experienced player, do we look to raid the state leagues for players that could offer us something during the season or do we just add more youngsters that might develop into something special later on?

I tend to think we have enough developing types so I'm leaning towards getting a player that might have previously been on another senior list

Ben Kennedy is rising fast up my list.

GVGjr
03-10-2017, 02:53 PM
Ben Kennedy is rising fast up my list.

He wouldn't be on mine, he's been a disappointment

Go_Dogs
03-10-2017, 03:32 PM
He wouldn't be on mine, he's been a disappointment

Admittedly I haven't followed him very closely, but he was good in 2016 and for whatever reason, didn't get an opportunity this year despite what seems to be some consistent form in the VFL.

What formerly listed players what you be targeting?

GVGjr
03-10-2017, 03:35 PM
Admittedly I haven't followed him very closely, but he was good in 2016 and for whatever reason, didn't get an opportunity this year despite what seems to be some consistent form in the VFL.

What formerly listed players what you be targeting?

I'm not sure, I'd like a ruckman but there will be some players unlucky not to get a spot.

Ozza
04-10-2017, 09:58 AM
I guess we have to assume that we will get a large number of injuries - like every other year - and should ensure that we have some ready to go types on the rookie list.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2017, 10:09 AM
I guess we have to assume that we will get a large number of injuries - like every other year - and should ensure that we have some ready to go types on the rookie list.

Sad, but true. I saw a clip of former Melbourne Trengove, my reading was that he's hoping for a rookie list spot as a mature/ready to go type. I wouldn't main list him, but I'd guess he's better than state league types for a rookie spot.

GVGjr
04-10-2017, 10:25 AM
Sad, but true. I saw a clip of former Melbourne Trengove, my reading was that he's hoping for a rookie list spot as a mature/ready to go type. I wouldn't main list him, but I'd guess he's better than state league types for a rookie spot.

Someone like him would also offer so much for the VFL side and mentor some of the younger players and in the event of injuries could come in an play a role.

Rookie lists should consist of 2 of the better youngsters, an experienced type and a ruckman but that all depends on the state of your list.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2017, 11:40 AM
Someone like him would also offer so much for the VFL side and mentor some of the younger players and in the event of injuries could come in an play a role.

Rookie lists should consist of 2 of the better youngsters, an experienced type and a ruckman but that all depends on the state of your list.

Which category do you put NMM into? Youngster or ruckman? (If he grows a little more, having rucked through the TAC)

GVGjr
04-10-2017, 12:08 PM
Which category do you put NMM into? Youngster or ruckman? (If he grows a little more, having rucked through the TAC)
Youngster, I think he is a chance to make it to a senior spot.
I think he is 194cm which means he could do some support ruck work as a forward. He's put in some decent results as a defender as well. He might be a Jack of all Trades but master on none but I'm hoping for more.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2017, 12:16 PM
So you think a mature, ready to go and a ruckman this rookie draft. I think you'd like a set of Trengove's & what for your ruckman? State league, delistee or another project ruckman?

GVGjr
04-10-2017, 12:29 PM
So you think a mature, ready to go and a ruckman this rookie draft. I think you'd like a set of Trengove's & what for your ruckman? State league, delistee or another project ruckman?

If you assume we have Roughead, Campbell* and English with support from Trengove and Boyd then we have a good balance. NMM might even factor into that if he has a good season. It's certainly better than what we had last year because of 12 months development into English (but he really needs another season) and Trengove's versatility. I put an * next to Campbell because there is some concerns if we can just keep him as a back up to Roughead and as an assurance until English is ready. This is why I think we should look at a state league type ruckman as a rookie to cover Campbell if/when he does get traded.

Twodogs
05-10-2017, 12:39 AM

And there's the romantic notion of the possibility of the two Jacksons playing together in one team at last as well.

GVGjr
10-10-2017, 07:49 PM
If we were looking for a rookie who could play significant football if needed then Nick Suban would be ideal given it doesn't look like Freo will give him a contract.
It's probably not fashionable to have a tagger but Suban could also lock down opponents.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-10-2017, 09:09 PM
If we were looking for a rookie who could play significant football if needed then Nick Suban would be ideal given it doesn't look like Freo will give him a contract.
It's probably not fashionable to have a tagger but Suban could also lock down opponents.

I think 1 rookie list spot should always be for a tried and true player ie. Suban or even Z Clarke.

They would be good insurance options and they would be able to assist in the development of young players - presuming you pick players with good character etc.

As for who ours should be, I'm not sure but we could do worse than Suban. Leaning towards a ruck though - especially if Campbell goes.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2017, 09:17 PM
I think 1 rookie list spot should always be for a tried and true player ie. Suban or even Z Clarke.

They would be good insurance options and they would be able to assist in the development of young players - presuming you pick players with good character etc.

As for who ours should be, I'm not sure but we could do worse than Suban. Leaning towards a ruck though - especially if Campbell goes.

Thinking much the same. If we could land Schache an article today mentioned Campbell might go for a fresh start. In a compartmentalised sense, I'd put Schache in the tall forwards column and remove Campbell from the ruck column. Which in effect means our reserve ruck which Bevo may not rate then sits on the rookie list and not the primary list. I like this balance.

Then add a kid and we have our 4. Then whether there's any Cat B options, and if Dalrymple has interest in them.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2017, 04:29 PM
Campbell possibly going really opens up the debate now. Go for a ruckman on the primary list, or with Bevo and his views, go the rookie list back up option.

With the announcement, im even further in the rookie list option. Completely in, if we land a very tall forward who can at list help a little.

bulldogtragic
21-10-2017, 06:38 PM
What to do now? We landed a couple of big guys who can help out in the ruck. So we probably don't need to go that way. Smith has to go it one way or the other, but can be re-drafted as I understand it (if we don't elevate him).

We will have picks 9 & 27.

I'm happy to pass on rucks, and KPP players with us having good numbers and NMM on the rookie list too. I'm tending to think to grab a young player, hopefully a midfielder or flanker with 9, and then looking at a mature player if there's any about after the DFA period. We've got a very young list, so somebody with some experience and leadership, who can push to get games sounds fine by me also.

hujsh
21-10-2017, 08:02 PM
I'm not convinced that having 3-4 players who can play some time in the ruck is necessarily adequate coverage for what are essentially 2 ruckmen with a history of injuries. English makes three but can he actually play in the ruck at AFL level?

GVGjr
21-10-2017, 08:16 PM
What to do now? We landed a couple of big guys who can help out in the ruck. So we probably don't need to go that way. Smith has to go it one way or the other, but can be re-drafted as I understand it (if we don't elevate him).

We will have picks 9 & 27.

I'm happy to pass on rucks, and KPP players with us having good numbers and NMM on the rookie list too. I'm tending to think to grab a young player, hopefully a midfielder or flanker with 9, and then looking at a mature player if there's any about after the DFA period. We've got a very young list, so somebody with some experience and leadership, who can push to get games sounds fine by me also.

Assuming we have Lynch and NMM I'd be looking at anyone who adds strength to the list. I agree we don't need a ruckman but if a player like Joel Amarty (195cm versatile tall who might be able to be a 2nd ruckman type) was still available I'd consider him as well.

It might be an experienced player or just guys we might be able to make into players. I'm open to suggestions.

Bulldog4life
21-10-2017, 11:12 PM
Whoever we draft on the main list I still would like at least one speedy young player on our rookie. On baller or forward.

boydogs
21-10-2017, 11:43 PM
I'd go for kids with a standout trait but some deficiencies in the Matthew Boyd, JJ, Dahlhaus mould

Go_Dogs
22-10-2017, 08:22 AM
I'd love to see one quick small forward who needs some development and one ready to go player with some versatility - no idea who those players may be at this stage.

The Doctor
22-10-2017, 08:57 AM
Anyone from Footscray worth a spot? Jamieson perhaps?

GVGjr
22-10-2017, 10:05 AM
Anyone from Footscray worth a spot? Jamieson perhaps?

I think there is a couple from Footscray that come into the mix. How many did we use as the 23rd player?

Bulldog4life
22-10-2017, 10:10 AM
I think there is a couple from Footscray that come into the mix. How many did we use as the 23rd player?

Rohan Smith's son had a couple of games as the 23rd player. Any chance as a rookie?

GVGjr
22-10-2017, 11:31 AM
Rohan Smith's son had a couple of games as the 23rd player. Any chance as a rookie?

I think so, there was a couple of other players who's name escapes me as well

Bulldog4life
22-10-2017, 02:41 PM
Not a 23rd player but Billy Gowers might be a chance

G-Mo77
22-10-2017, 04:11 PM
Not a 23rd player but Billy Gowers might be a chance

Like him as well. There was a guy by the name of Shea who played 23rd a few times.

Smads57
23-10-2017, 10:36 PM
I'd plump for Hayes or Gowers if we were going to look for options in the VFL team.

The Doctor
26-10-2017, 10:13 PM
This article mentions us in connection with Tom Lamb.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-26/eagles-could-swoop-again-on-delisted-lamb

my advice is take with grain of salt

bulldogtragic
27-10-2017, 08:46 AM
This article mentions us in connection with Tom Lamb.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-26/eagles-could-swoop-again-on-delisted-lamb

my advice is take with grain of salt

I was going to say in the delisting thread why the hell did WCE take him, and so high. The classic case of being an in between size.

Axe Man
27-10-2017, 05:13 PM
Story on Jack Roughsedge who endured a horror injury but could be worth a punt on the rookie list.

Gun Charger makes light of brutal diagnosis (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-27/gun-charger-makes-light-of-brutal-diagnosis)

GVGjr
27-10-2017, 08:23 PM
Charlie Thompson would be a solid rookie selection. Played really well towards the end of the season.

bulldogtragic
03-11-2017, 08:57 PM
With the forward line changes we've made, I wonder if a move up forward pocket or flank by Lynch would be a worthwhile pursuit. Moreso if we don't land a better forward pocket option in the next month.

LostDoggy
04-11-2017, 10:09 AM
With the forward line changes we've made, I wonder if a move up forward pocket or flank by Lynch would be a worthwhile pursuit. Moreso if we don't land a better forward pocket option in the next month.

Would need to seriously improve the pressure aspect of his game. It's funny how the game has evolved whereby forwards seem to be scrutinised more heavily on the defensive/pressure side of their game while uncontested players tend to find a home on a back flank. Used to be te opposite.

The Doctor
04-11-2017, 12:05 PM
Would need to seriously improve the pressure aspect of his game. It's funny how the game has evolved whereby forwards seem to be scrutinised more heavily on the defensive/pressure side of their game while uncontested players tend to find a home on a back flank. Used to be te opposite.

I think it's bordering on ridiculous. We may as well play a rugby league player or two in the forward line.

jeemak
04-11-2017, 03:19 PM
Now more than ever and particularly with forwards, the emphasis seems to be about what they can’t do rather than what they can.

Axe Man
09-11-2017, 06:56 PM
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but just came across an article from last week linking us with former Melbourne player Dom Barry:

Excitement machine Dom Barry is ready for another crack at the AFL (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/excitement-machine-dom-barry-is-ready-for-another-crack-at-the-afl/news-story/147a2dd8a89cec8095278f7bb8b3d4b6)

DOM Barry has “found’’ himself.

And now the SANFL excitement machine wants to find another AFL club.

Three years after walking out on a promising career at Melbourne, Barry wants back into the big league.

And the 23-year-old midfielder believes he is better prepared mentally to make a good fist of it.

“It would be a huge deal for me to get back into the AFL,’’ said Barry, who shone in his first SANFL season with Glenelg this year.

“I’ve been through a lot since I left Melbourne and have done an incredible amount of work to get back into the position where there is some interest from AFL clubs again.

“This time last year I was living in the remote Aboriginal community of Fregon in the APY Lands, which is 1300km from here.

“At that point I had no aspirations to return to top-level football but ended up coming to Glenelg, knuckling down, doing the hard yards and having a solid season.

“I’ve put my best foot forward to hopefully get drafted and if I do it would mean the world to me and my family here in Adelaide, Alice Springs and the APY Lands.’’

Barry’s remarkable journey began with him splitting his time between Alice Springs and Fregon until he moved to Melbourne at age 14 on a tennis scholarship.

He lasted just one term because of homesickness and relocated to St Patrick’s College in Ballarat to join his older brother and started playing football at the renowned football factory.

His talent saw him join TAC Cup side North Ballarat and he was signed by Greater Western Sydney as a zone selection before being traded to the Demons in 2012 as part of the deal that secured key forward Jesse Hogan.

Barry represented Australia in the 2013 International Rules Series against Ireland before he had made his AFL debut and played five games for Melbourne in 2014 before quitting to return to Central Australia to focus on his family and cultural identity.

“I walked out (of Melbourne) when I was 20 because I wanted to reconnect with my culture and family history in the APY Lands,’’ Barry told The Advertiser.

“I understand that a decision like that can be a bit hard for city people to get their heads around, for me to walk away from a good lifestyle in the AFL, but at that time it was something I really needed to do.

“I managed to find myself in that cultural sense and that’s why I’m in the position I am now.’’

Barry wasn’t completely lost to football.

He combined playing, where he won premierships with NEAFL club NT Thunder and CAFL side Federal, with coaching and working for the SANFL as the match-day co-ordinator for the APY Lands competition.

He also worked on the Federal Government’s remote school attendance strategy, doing bus pick-ups every morning.

His passion for teaching saw him move to Adelaide this year to study at UniSA and he joined Glenelg through his friendship with players Terry Milera and James Sellar.

After impressing in the SANFL with his blistering pace and good skills, left-footer Barry was invited to the test at the SA Draft Combine.

The Bulldogs and Collingwood are understood to have shown the most interest in reigniting his AFL career, most likely as a rookie.

bulldogtragic
09-11-2017, 07:27 PM
Interesting if there's a contest between us. Collingwood have a better RD pick. But could we go pick 82?

bornadog
09-11-2017, 09:51 PM
Pretty sure T&T mentioned Barry as someone we are interested in.

ratsmac
10-11-2017, 12:00 AM
You had me at blistering pace and good skills. Pick 82 sounds good to me.

Twodogs
10-11-2017, 02:11 AM
Yeah. Blistering skills is good.

macca
10-11-2017, 03:52 AM
Youtube highlight Dom barry glenelg, r8 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4kEcXkRaQI

a few kicks he shonked. looks to have pace and break away speed.

I like the tim kelly highlights

https://youtu.be/AIEVy-oy25g

lemmon
10-11-2017, 08:14 AM
Barry sounds like a really good citizen too. That community work has me taking a shine to him.

choconmientay
22-11-2017, 06:51 PM
Patrick Keane: Promoted and retained rookies for clubs, ahead of Friday’s draft. https://t.co/HZOQHHHeaT

As expected, confirmed that B Lynch and NMM are retained on our rookies list.

josie
22-11-2017, 08:45 PM
Don’t Barry video clip - reminds me a bit of JJ. If we do recruit him hope he is as successful for us.

The Adelaide Connection
25-11-2017, 03:25 AM
So who is left? Who do we target on Monday?

Ethan Penrith was a name that was mentioned as a late smokey, looking at his highlight reel I would love to see us target him. Gowers has also been heavily mentioned.

Some other players overlooked that I have heard/seen mentioned are:
Small/Mid Forward- Matthew McGannon, Adam Sambono, Jordan Johnston, David Handley
Mids- Cassidy Parish, Stefan Giro
Tall Forwards- Nathan Krueger (can play Defence), Jordan Butts
Defenders- Ethan Penrith, Angus Styles
Ruck- Ben Miller

Anyone else?

GVGjr
25-11-2017, 06:43 AM
So who is left? Who do we target on Monday?

Ethan Penrith was a name that was mentioned as a late smokey, looking at his highlight reel I would love to see us target him. Gowers has also been heavily mentioned.

Some other players overlooked that I have heard mentioned are:
Small/Mid Forward- Matthew McGannon, Adam Sambono
Mids- Will Walker, Cassidy Parish
Tall Forwards- Nathan Krueger (can play Defence), Jordan Butts
Tall Defenders- Jack Payne
Ruck- Callum Coleman-Jones

Anyone else?

Walker, Coleman-Jones and Jack Payne were selected last night but there are still some very talented players available. Penrith not being selected is a shock

Go_Dogs
25-11-2017, 10:01 AM
More need for speed is on my list.

Would love a genuine small forward.

GVGjr
25-11-2017, 10:31 AM
More need for speed is on my list.

Would love a genuine small forward.

Giro didn't get drafted, he could fit the role

The Adelaide Connection
25-11-2017, 10:54 AM
Walker, Coleman-Jones and Jack Payne were selected last night but there are still some very talented players available. Penrith not being selected is a shock

Ahh, so they were. I guess my 1am eyes didn't check the list quite as closely as it should have. I have edited the post and had a look at the draft machine and edited in a few other names from the late/smokey range. Theextras that may interest are below.

Jordan Johnston (Fwd, 185cm, 77kg)
Clever and creative medium forward who had a taste of the NAB AFL U18 Championships representing Vic Country. Has been impressive for the Rebels at TAC Cup level kicking 20 goals, including six against the Eastern Ranges.

David Handley (Fwd, 183cm, 79kg)
Medium forward with speed off the mark and excellent goal sense. Has good game sense, clean hands, vision and represented Vic Country in the NAB AFL U18 Championships.

Stefan Giro (Mid, 175cm, 72kg)
This midfielder can be relied on to run all day. His ability to cover the ground is probably his best trait, not just in terms of having a stellar tank, but Giro is seriously fast over short distances as well. The left-footer knows how to find the footy and often racks up plenty of disposals.

Angus Styles (Def, 185cm, 72kg)
Versatile type with good speed and agility and has elite endurance which was showcased with his level 15.6 beep test result early in the year. Solid performer for Vic Metro in the NAB AFL U18 Championships and with Sandringham Dragons at TAC Cup level. Ran 6:17 in the 2km time trial at the Combine, proving his excellent aerobic capacity.

GVGjr
25-11-2017, 11:06 AM
TAC, Richmond snared Miller. Sorry.

I might have missed some names being selected but these are some names that might be worth a thought

Stefan Giro
Hayden Schloithe
Hayden McLean
Mitchell Podhajski
Ethan Penrith
Alex Martini
Aiden Domic
Matthew McGannon
Callan England
Joel Amarty

bulldogtragic
25-11-2017, 11:09 AM
Are we assuming we are using 9 and using 27 on Roarke?

GVGjr
25-11-2017, 11:10 AM
Are we assuming we are using 9 and using 27 on Roarke?

That would be my assumption.

The Adelaide Connection
25-11-2017, 11:15 AM
TAC, Richmond snared Miller. Sorry.

I might have missed some names being selected but these are some names that might be worth a thought

Stefan Giro
Hayden Schloithe
Hayden McLean
Mitchell Podhajski
Ethan Penrith
Alex Martini
Aiden Domic
Matthew McGannon
Callan England
Joel Amarty

Gosh, time will tell but Richmond’s draft was seriously on point. Geelong seemed to have a frustratingly good draft with a few serious sliders too.

bulldogtragic
25-11-2017, 11:18 AM
Dalrymple has said that there are several exciting players still on the/his talent list who weren't selected last night.

choconmientay
25-11-2017, 03:16 PM
CT posted 10 to watch for the rookie draft here (http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-25/best-of-the-rest-10-rookie-chances-to-watch)

bulldogtragic
25-11-2017, 04:18 PM
Question on NMM for next year.

WBFC play two KPDs and a Wood generally. Say thats Trengove & Cordy. That leaves potentially Adams, Morris, Collins & Roberts at Footscray.

Do NMM & Young now get trained up as the forwards they were recruited as at Footscray? I can't see a spot down back for NMM to slot into, so I guess he's a pure developing forward now as opposed to the swinging him around that happened a bit this year.

GVGjr
25-11-2017, 04:21 PM
Question on NMM for next year.

WBFC play two KPDs and a Wood generally. Say thats Trengove & Cordy. That leaves potentially Adams, Morris, Collins & Roberts at Footscray.

Do NMM & Young now get trained up as the forwards they were recruited as at Footscray? I can't see a spot down back for NMM to slot into, so I guess he's a pure developing forward now as opposed to the swinging him around that happened a bit this year.

I think Mullenger-McHugh played mainly as a forward but I do recall games where he and Young interchanged between forward and defensive duties. I think they are both suited more as forwards but need to be able to play back when required.

hujsh
25-11-2017, 05:56 PM
As a forward they're competing against Boyd and Schache. You'd hope they'd be good enough to keep NMM out of the side a least.

bulldogtragic
26-11-2017, 02:57 PM
Callum Twomeys best 10 rookies:

Here are 10 prospects who could be in with a chance as rookie selections when the draft starts at about 5pm AEDT on Monday afternoon.

Angus Styles

Midfielder
185cm/76kg
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro
3/5/99

Hard-working midfielder/defender who played some good footy for the Sandringham Dragons and Vic Metro across the year. Styles is an excellent endurance athlete and can do some exciting things when in possession. Is still lightly built, so will take some time, but has a couple of weapons that should appeal to clubs as a rookie.

Trent Mynott

Midfielder
185cm/73kg
Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro
4/10/99

It was a slight surprise Mynott didn't get a spot on a senior list at the national draft, but he was always likely to fit in somewhere towards the back end if he did get a shot. The midfielder can find plenty of the ball, he provides good run and carry and is a smart user of it. At the championships he averaged 19 disposals across three games for Vic Metro, showing he can rack up touches.

Ethan Floyd

Midfielder
179cm/70kg
Geelong Falcons/Vic Country
15/7/99

Was one of the unlucky ones on Friday, after having a handy year for the Falcons at TAC Cup level. Floyd is small, which may have counted against him as clubs made their choices for the national draft, but he uses the ball really nicely on his left foot and can run all day. There's a bit there to work with and he generally makes the right call when he's in possession of the footy.

Adam Sambono

Forward
184cm/69kg
NT Thunder/Allies
24/4/97

Sambono was given permission to play in the under-18 championships this year, despite being 20 years old, because of his late introduction to the national talent pathway. He showed some skills as a light but quick forward who is crafty around goal – and he's shown plenty more of those traits playing in the NEAFL for NT Thunder. He'd be something of a punt, even as a rookie, but will someone take the chance?

Over-age prospect Adam Sambono in action at the Draft Combine. Picture: AFL Photos

David Handley

Forward
181cm/76kg
1/9/99

Handley had a strong season for the Geelong Falcons this year, booting 28 goals in 15 games and being a regular threat. He plays the medium/small forward role well, has turn of speed and very good goal sense that means he doesn't need many chances or opportunities to impact a game.

Noah Answerth

Defender
184cm/79kg
Oakleigh Chargers
6/8/99

Answerth's back fracture in the second round of the TAC Cup season ended his year and ultimately his time on the sidelines was a big factor in him not being chosen. However, there are still some clubs interested in him, and he could be a nice get as a rookie. He plays off half-back but is a versatile prospect and a nice size. A competitor who is tough and can also move into the midfield.

Jackson Edwards

Midfielder
185cm/75kg
Glenelg/South Australia
11/10/99

Is set to join the Crows as a father-son rookie after being overlooked by clubs on Friday. The son of Adelaide premiership star Tyson, Edwards is a solid user of the footy and has played most of his footy this year on the wing. He's still got to develop his body, but there's a bit to work with there and he's also tasted senior footy with Glenelg late in the season.

Nathan Kreuger

Forward/defender
196cm/86kg
South Adelaide/South Australia
25/6/99

The big and strong South Australian prospect has a couple of rough edges to his game, but a club could bring him in as a rookie and harness his great athleticism. For a player of his size, Kreuger is very quick off the mark, he flies for his grabs and is strong overhead, and has also played at times through the midfield despite having a better run at it as a key back or forward.

Hayden McLean

Forward
197cm/93kg
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro
20/1/99

The tall forward started the season slowly but had some better games in the back half of the year that made him a national draft possibility. That didn't happen, but he remains a rookie chance as most of the talls in the pool found homes on Friday. McLean is a leading forward who is a solid kick, and can also pinch-hit in the ruck as well if required.

Cassidy Parish

Midfielder
190cm/87kg
4/5/99

Parish showed his wares across the season for the Falcons and Vic Country as a big, bustling ball-winning midfielder who gets clearances and possessions at will. The younger brother of emerging Bombers midfielder Darcy, Parish is great with his hands at ground level and can feed the ball out to the runners. He's also very big for an onballer, which could appeal to a club looking for depth in that area.

LostDoggy
26-11-2017, 09:33 PM
If he's still available, I reckon Trent Mynott would be a good fit for us. Is really strong overhead also.

The Adelaide Connection
26-11-2017, 10:31 PM
Do we have any scope to take a category B rookie?

bornadog
27-11-2017, 12:37 AM
Do we have any scope to take a category B rookie?

Yes, we had one this year and let him go at end of season, so we may take another for next season

Axe Man
27-11-2017, 10:42 AM
Yes, we had one this year and let him go at end of season, so we may take another for next season

I believe you can have up to 3 category B rookies anyway. Cost is the only constraint.

Remi Moses
27-11-2017, 11:04 AM
Gotta say with the amount of value from the rookie draft I’m shocked this isn’t covered by either fox footy or SEN

Mofra
27-11-2017, 11:34 AM
We have traditionally fared better than most sides have from the rookie draft, I'll be very surprised if we go tall. Medium or small forward type would be preferable from a team balance point of view although the club might have a lot of faith in Lippy & Greene.

Scraggers
27-11-2017, 12:44 PM
Sorry if this is posted elsewhere ... I had a quick search but can't find out how many rookies we will take in today's draft. Anyone help me out?

bulldogtragic
27-11-2017, 12:47 PM
Sorry if this is posted elsewhere ... I had a quick search but can't find out how many rookies we will take in today's draft. Anyone help me out?

9 & 27. Committed 27 to Roarke Smith. So effective just Pick 9.

Scraggers
27-11-2017, 12:47 PM
9 & 27. Committed 27 to Roarke Smith. So effective just Pick 9.

Cheers

LostDoggy
27-11-2017, 12:50 PM
In terms of list balance, we probably need to look at how our Footscray team needs to look like when deciding what kind of a rookie we want to see selected in the draft. Probably overthinking things but for the purposes of discussion, I've had a rough stab at a best 22 and then put the rest into a Footscray team:

BEST 22 (my rough guess):

Morris, Trengove, Wood
Crozier, Adams, Suckling
Hunter, Macrae, JJ
McLean, Boyd, Dale
Dickson, Schache, Picken

Roughead, Bont, Libba
Daniel, Biggs, Dahlhaus, Cordy

This leaves our senior list players at Footscray looking something like:

R.Smith, Roberts, Collins
Williams, Naughton, Richards
Webb, Wallis, English
Lipinski, Young, C.Smith
Greene, Redpath, Honeychurch

Campbell, Jong, Dunkley
Lynch, NMM, Porter, .......

If we look at the Footscray team as depth/developing players putting pressure on the best 22, I reckon it looks fairly well balanced. I would probably like another natural winger, outside runner/half forward.

bornadog
27-11-2017, 05:08 PM
Sam Landsberger: WB: R Smith and Ben Sloan or Billy Gowers

Ozza
27-11-2017, 05:12 PM
I wouldn't be disappointed if we gave Gowers a second crack at AFL footy.

Back ourselves in to improve his kicking, and hopefully an elite environment will bring out the best in him.

The Pedge
27-11-2017, 05:36 PM
Just heard Crameri will be picked up by the Cats. My biggest disappointment with Crameri leaving is that my only inside knowledge at the club is now gone. Shame.

bornadog
27-11-2017, 05:47 PM
Just heard Crameri will be picked up by the Cats. My biggest disappointment with Crameri leaving is that my only inside knowledge at the club is now gone. Shame.

Was he disappointed to not get another contract at the Doggies?

bornadog
27-11-2017, 06:04 PM
Pick 9 Billy Gowers

bornadog
27-11-2017, 06:08 PM
Pick 25: Roarke Smith

bulldogtragic
27-11-2017, 06:10 PM
Not overly excited by Billy. But I hope he proves me wrong and makes this second chance into something big for him and the club.

lemmon
27-11-2017, 06:25 PM
Pretty happy with Billy, might be a potential Mitch Hahn.

Really good athletic prospect, strong above his head and in his attack on the ball. Skills need some work but he comes pretty well-versed in our structures and fills a need up forward.

Twodogs
27-11-2017, 06:37 PM
Billy has the lot but he can't kick. I'm hoping that we are confident that we can fix the problem or it's going to be a long frustrating year watching him bunt the ball all over the place.

LostDoggy
27-11-2017, 06:45 PM
Looking at our picks this year it seems we have placed a high priority on overhead marking and relatively little on kicking skills.

bulldogtragic
27-11-2017, 06:47 PM
Looking at our picks this year it seems we have placed a high priority on overhead marking and relatively little on kicking skills.

Yep. It's a shame we play football, because other the field kicking and kicking at goal, we are all over it.

KT31
27-11-2017, 07:13 PM
Hope I'm proved wrong but I'm a little underwhelmed with both rookie picks.
Interview with Dairymple mentioned still some talent left that had been overlooked in the draft and we re-pick two players who have been onlists for a few years.

Hotdog60
27-11-2017, 08:20 PM
Interview with Dairymple mentioned still some talent left that had been overlooked in the draft and we re-pick two players who have been onlists for a few years.
I think we were being nice to Roarke after the bad run with injuries. If he can't stay on the park it could be curtains at the end of the year. (Do they only get a one year deal??)

azabob
27-11-2017, 08:20 PM
Really happy we picked up Gowers.
There is something about him that I really like.
Granted his goal kicking isn’t his strong suit but his other attributes certainly outweighs this for mine.

From memory it was injuries that cut his time short at Carlton?

GVGjr
27-11-2017, 09:25 PM

Clearly a ruse. I think we've made a decent decision with Smith and I'll give Gowers a chance but I would have preferred some others to him

bulldogtragic
27-11-2017, 09:37 PM
Rookie honour board: M. Boyd, Morris, Dahl, JJ etc.

I don't see our picks today costing the club any money for the engraver to add their names to the board.

But they're ours, so I hope they do well.

LostDoggy
27-11-2017, 09:57 PM
Rookie honour board: M. Boyd, Morris, Dahl, JJ etc.

I don't see our picks today costing the club any money for the engraver to add their names to the board.

But they're ours, so I hope they do well.

Tend to agree. Essendon took Trent Mynott the pick after Gowers. Hope I'm wrong but reckon that'll hurt in a few years time.

comrade
27-11-2017, 10:06 PM
I'm not overly enthused by either pick but I do like the idea of rewarding Footscray players with AFL opportunities. It will only help our VFL side to be known as a breeding ground for AFL players, further attracting good talent looking for a shot at the big time which will only increase the standards across the group.

azabob
27-11-2017, 10:06 PM
Clearly a ruse. I think we've made a decent decision with Smith and I'll give Gowers a chance but I would have preferred some others to him

Pre draft a high profile supporter on twitter said Beveridge wanted Gowers and Dalrymple didn’t.

LostDoggy
27-11-2017, 10:11 PM
I'm not overly enthused by either pick but I do like the idea of rewarding Footscray players with AFL opportunities. It will only help our VFL side to be known as a breeding ground for AFL players, further attracting good talent looking for a shot at the big time which will only increase the standards across the group.

Excellent point.

GVGjr
27-11-2017, 10:12 PM
Pre draft a high profile supporter on twitter said Beveridge wanted Gowers and Dalrymple didn’t.

I'm starting to think some coaches have too much say in recruitment.

bulldogtragic
27-11-2017, 10:14 PM

Dalrymple is an astute recruiter and has a near unparalleled eye for talent.

comrade
27-11-2017, 10:15 PM

Bevo is an astute man manager and has a near unparalleled feel for group dynamics.

Maybe he thought picking Gowers was more of a cultural fit?

G-Mo77
27-11-2017, 10:16 PM
So happy we got Gowers. Great mark, big body and uses it well. I've seen him crunch a few this season. Happy for Roarke as well.

LostDoggy
27-11-2017, 10:17 PM
I'm sure Dal would've stated his case and a collective decision would been made. Maybe Dal had a better man but we'll never know.

bulldogtragic
27-11-2017, 10:23 PM
Bevo is an astute man manager and has a near unparalleled feel for group dynamics.

Why have a recruiter then? Cultural fit doesn't hit targets or register goals. Plenty of players left would have had the same cultural fit. Gowers first and foremost needs to be seen as being able to make the grade as an afl player. Cultural fit or rewarding Footscray players with a limited afl list spot is not to my reckoning a good enough reason to overlook talented kids. Surely our benchmark of entry to the list is potential to make the grade. Averaging 16 touches a game, only in the top 3 votes on three occasions and a goal a game (1.1 behinds a game, so less than 50% accuracy) is somewhat underwhelming for a player in the VFL. If Dalrymple said no and was overturned, it would be disappointing. Since we will never know if it's true, it's a moot point and really not worth this long post...

G-Mo77
27-11-2017, 10:30 PM
Who says any of it is true. Some guy on Twitter says aomerhing and the sky is falling.

The Adelaide Connection
27-11-2017, 10:33 PM
Does anyone feel like we just didn't have enough picks? Three in the main draft and (essentially) one in the Rookie draft really doesn't feel like enough. I know it was called a "weak" draft, but it seems that there was a lot of talent to be taken late (see Geelong/Hawthorn) and even quite a few likely sounding types that were available in the Rookie draft.

I know it is highly speculative and it depends on how individauls/the team are travelling, but next year being the "SUPER draft" how many picks should we be freeing up?

bornadog
27-11-2017, 10:36 PM
Some highlights of Gowers - looks like alot of potential there:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-11-27/rookie-gowers-plucked-from-the-scray

G-Mo77
27-11-2017, 10:41 PM
Does anyone feel like we just didn't have enough picks? Three in the main draft and (essentially) one in the Rookie draft really doesn't feel like enough. I know it was called a "weak" draft, but it seems that there was a lot of talent to be taken late (see Geelong/Hawthorn) and even quite a few likely sounding types that were available in the Rookie draft.

I know it is highly speculative and it depends on how individauls/the team are travelling, but next year being the "SUPER draft" how many picks should we be freeing up?

I would have liked another pick in each draft personally. Then again we got a young kid in Shache.

GVGjr
27-11-2017, 10:41 PM

I'm the same as before the draft, we could have easily used one more mid range draft pick.

It was an even draft not a weak one.

lemmon
27-11-2017, 11:06 PM
I'm the same as before the draft, we could have easily used one more mid range draft pick.

It was an even draft not a weak one.

Especially as we've traded out a pretty good pick for next year.

GVGjr
27-11-2017, 11:13 PM
Especially as we've traded out a pretty good pick for next year.

I think we had to to make sure we got Schache and a 1st round pick and given the players we landed it worked out well.

Just needed that 3rd round pick this year.

Dry Rot
28-11-2017, 12:20 AM
So if Gowers was to force his way into the Dogs AFL side in 2018, what role/position would he be playing?

Remi Moses
28-11-2017, 12:25 AM
Tended to be a lot of recycled players picked up meaning most recruiters thought the young talent pool was empty

Twodogs
28-11-2017, 12:34 AM
So if Gowers was to force his way into the Dogs AFL side in 2018, what role/position would he be playing?

Across half forward I would think. He's a very strong Mark and will take a opposition defender to man him up at least.

mjp
28-11-2017, 12:38 AM
Tended to be a lot of recycled players picked up meaning most recruiters thought the young talent pool was empty

Disagree. Many clubs seem to use the rookie draft to grab 'break glass if emergency' type players who can come in, play for a few weeks if a best 22 player is injured and then be consigned back to the wilderness again...a lot of the time young players either don't have the ability (or the faith of the match committee) to hold the fort for a few weeks.

Once upon a time (see JJ, Dalhaus, Skinner) we were not really one of 'those' clubs and seemed to use the rookie draft to grab planners who had an elite attribute but were far from a finished product...now it seems we are.

Twodogs
28-11-2017, 12:39 AM

So happy we got Gowers. Great mark, big body and uses it well. I've seen him crunch a few this season. Happy for Roarke as well.

I'm sure Dal would've stated his case and a collective decision would been made. Maybe Dal had a better man but we'll never know.

Why have a recruiter then? Cultural fit doesn't hit targets or register goals. Plenty of players left would have had the same cultural fit. Gowers first and foremost needs to be seen as being able to make the grade as an afl player. Cultural fit or rewarding Footscray players with a limited afl list spot is not to my reckoning a good enough reason to overlook talented kids. Surely our benchmark of entry to the list is potential to make the grade. Averaging 16 touches a game, only in the top 3 votes on three occasions and a goal a game (1.1 behinds a game, so less than 50% accuracy) is somewhat underwhelming for a player in the VFL. If Dalrymple said no and was overturned, it would be disappointing. Since we will never know if it's true, it's a moot point and really not worth this long post...

I read through the year that Dalrymple had to hold out for JJ and Dahlhaus when Bmac (I think he was the coach at the time) wanted to get a couple of recycled players into the rookie list.

macca
28-11-2017, 01:31 AM
Grabbing recycle players and missing JJ and Dalhouse would have been a travisty( yes I am being a bit melodramatic). Both these guys have elite attributes. JJ in speed and dalhouse in his agility and ball and goal sense. In darlymple we trust to unearth a rookie gem.

Ozza
28-11-2017, 10:12 AM
Tend to agree. Essendon took Trent Mynott the pick after Gowers. Hope I'm wrong but reckon that'll hurt in a few years time.

Clubs had a combined 78 picks in the draft, and a further 10 in the rookie draft before Mynott was picked up. If the recruiters in the land passed up on him 88 times, its a reasonable indication that he wasn't that highly rated.

LostDoggy
28-11-2017, 10:20 AM
Clubs had a combined 78 picks in the draft, and a further 10 in the rookie draft before Mynott was picked up. If the recruiters in the land passed up on him 88 times, its a reasonable indication that he wasn't that highly rated.

Over 100 looked past Chris Grant, or any of the other low draft/rookie list players over the years that turned out to be good players. Being the 88th guy picked doesn't mean you can't be any good.

Ozza
28-11-2017, 10:54 AM
Over 100 looked past Chris Grant, or any of the other low draft/rookie list players over the years that turned out to be good players. Being the 88th guy picked doesn't mean you can't be any good.

Agree that it doesn't mean he can't be any good. But I think its also fair to say that a fair bit more time and expertise is in the game now, than 20 years ago when Grant was picked up (and Grant was 15 on draft day!).

But we also picked Liam Picken up from a similar scenario as Billy Gowers, and not many on here thought his VFL showings indicated he could make the grade.

Mofra
28-11-2017, 10:59 AM
But we also picked Liam Picken up from a similar scenario as Billy Gowers, and not many on here thought his VFL showings indicated he could make the grade.
Mick Malthouse wanted Picken when Collingwood had the Williamstown alignment but was told no by his recruiters because he was "a bit scrappy".

Scrappy is all the rage now. Gowers could well play games next year given Lippy & Greene aren't ready and Dickson had a mare last year.

Sedat
28-11-2017, 01:39 PM
My Carlton mates were surprised he was delisted at the end of last year as he showed great form for the last 3 months of the season after returning from a lengthy injury lay-off. He's carried that good form through to Footscray in 2017 and is only 21 yo.

Only 10 U18 players were selected yesterday - sounds like, in the eyes of the recruiters, the U18 talent pool was extinguished in the ND on Friday.

bornadog
28-11-2017, 02:14 PM
I read through the year that Dalrymple had to hold out for JJ and Dahlhaus when Bmac (I think he was the coach at the time) wanted to get a couple of recycled players into the rookie list.
JJ and Dahl were chosen under Rocket.

Sedat
28-11-2017, 07:53 PM
It's been pretty lonely being on the Dylan Buckley bandwagon but I reckon he'll do some good things at GWS. He is the type of player whose skill set will thrive at a better team. With Wilson gone and Shaw on his last legs, Buckley is an ideal fit for GWS.

LostDoggy
28-11-2017, 07:58 PM
Billy certainly seems a character. If his phillygowers account on instagram is anything to go by, he'll fit in a treat with Libba, Biggsy and co....

chef
28-11-2017, 08:09 PM
Billy certainly seems a character. If his phillygowers account on instagram is anything to go by, he'll fit in a treat with Libba, Biggsy and co....

Haha yeah i saw him being walked like a dog. Interesting.

Twodogs
28-11-2017, 08:36 PM

Agree that it doesn't mean he can't be any good. But I think its also fair to say that a fair bit more time and expertise is in the game now, than 20 years ago when Grant was picked up (and Grant was 15 on draft day!).

That was a bit different in that he was 15 and we were the only club who knew he existed.

Axe Man
28-11-2017, 08:46 PM
It's been pretty lonely being on the Dylan Buckley bandwagon but I reckon he'll do some good things at GWS. He is the type of player whose skill set will thrive at a better team. With Wilson gone and Shaw on his last legs, Buckley is an ideal fit for GWS.

They have said he was brought in to play a small pressure forward role.

Twodogs
28-11-2017, 08:49 PM
Just had a look at who we took in that draft before Chris. Leon Cameron with our pick 7, John Georgiades with our pick 35, Shannon Corcoran at pick 49 played a few games and Ben Sexton at pick 86. Took some not so well known names too. Robert Bloom, Matthew Queen, Scott Davies and Anthony Reynolds. That's 9 players selected and we took 4 more in the preseason draft. 13 players we added, there must have been more flexible list rules back then.