PDA

View Full Version : Stringer has two choices - nothing to do with choice of clubs.

bornadog
17-09-2017, 05:23 PM
If Stringer is traded or some how ends up staying at our club then he needs to decide yes or no to being an AFL player.

We understand he has issues on and off the field (whatever they may be, I don't want to speculate) and has been asked several times to pull his head in. If he leaves for another club, he is only taking his issues with him and nothing changes, just a different environment and new team mates. That alone will not change him.

In order to be an AFL player, he has responsibilities to the club, to his team mates and coaches and to us supporters. You cannot be an individual in a team sport, you have to follow the club rules on and off the field.

Therefore, Stringers choices are: does he want to play AFL Football or not, because that is what it boils down to.

Rocket Science
17-09-2017, 06:41 PM
It goes without saying any possible suitor will ask of Jake, all the same professional undertakings we're at odds with him over. And just as certainly he and his manager will give all the right assurances. There's no other way for them to play it.

If he falls short of those assurances, you're right, it's square one, unless the plan is to find a new employer with more relaxed standards.

If he wants a career in the game, he HAS to swear black and blue he'll get back on track. Can/will he though? If the answer's yes, why not with the blokes he won a flag with? Unless the individual and collective baggage of frayed patience and relationships just too much.

bulldogtragic
17-09-2017, 06:49 PM
The article from Cooney in the other Stringer thread said he's been told 6 times to improve his professionalism in many areas. And failed to do so obviously 6 times. That explains the frustration in Wallis voice in the radio interview. What point is a 7th sit down to tell him to pull his finger out? It sounds like the coaches and players have been trying everything they can, but nothing has worked. You can't build a premiership dynasty delisting kids giving 100% while 'the package' does what he wants, when he wants just because he wants. Most in the workforce get 3 warnings before being moved on. Jake getting 6 warnings is pretty good going before moving to another employer is raised to be fair to the club. Can Jake undo everything in 2 weeks or so? I don't think so.

Twodogs
17-09-2017, 08:55 PM
If he falls short of those assurances, you're right, it's square one, unless the plan is to find a new employer with more relaxed standards.

I don't know about Jake but that's my new plan!

ledge
17-09-2017, 09:04 PM
I don't know about Jake but that's my new plan!

All looks more relaxed until you start at the new place, better to stay with the devil you know than the devil you don't.

1eyedog
17-09-2017, 11:05 PM
My feeling on all this is that Bevo trusts people and is loyal until the line is crossed. I think he deals in absolutes and when he makes up his mind it would take a mountain of work to change it.

It's pretty clear he's had a gutful of Jake and I'm sure the club has been papering over cracks for a while.

bornadog
17-09-2017, 11:07 PM
My feeling on all this is that Bevo trusts people and is loyal until the line is crossed. I think he deals in absolutes and when he makes up his mind it would take a mountain of work to change it.

Pretty sure I read that somewhere about his days coaching the amateurs. One of his ex players was interviewed and said a similar thing.

1eyedog
17-09-2017, 11:16 PM
Pretty sure I read that somewhere about his days coaching the amateurs. One of his ex players was interviewed and said a similar thing.

Yeah that's the impression I get Mike

bulldogtragic
17-09-2017, 11:23 PM
I heard Bevo at an event a while back. And he talked about the little things...

Coaches, players, administrators need to be doing the small things to be successful.
On the other hand, if they as humans make small mistakes to not over blow them. Deal with them, learn from them and don't repeat them.

It was like someone saying life is black and white, but at the same time that life is shades of grey. Like a Buddhist Monk or Jedi Philosopher. But if Jake's not doing small things and continually repeating mistakes he's been told not to repeat, I can see how some are saying the trust has broken down too far. It doesn't seem like it's from a lack of opportunity or chances from Bevo.

Twodogs
17-09-2017, 11:51 PM
All looks more relaxed until you start at the new place, better to stay with the devil you know than the devil you don't.

Mmm hmmm. Be careful what you wish for because it might come true.

bornadog
19-09-2017, 05:04 PM
“WHAT IT SHOULD BE FOR JAKE IS A MASSIVE WAKE-UP CALL” (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/09/19/what-it-should-be-for-jake-is-a-massive-wake-up-call/)

David Schwarz says Jake Stringer needs to use the news that he is likely to be traded away from the Western Bulldogs as a “wakeup call” to become better.

The 23-year-old today spoke publically for the first time since coach Luke Beveridge confirmed the news, declaring he was "shocked and upset" to be put on the trade table, and never wanted to leave the club.

“What it should be for Jake is a massive wake-up call,” Schwarz said on SEN’s The Run Home.

“For a club who has invested everything into him, he’s a Premiership player, All-Australian from the year before, who is liked by most of his teammates, if they can say to him you’re not longer required that has got to be the biggest wake-up call.

“All of us face that time once or twice, or three times, or even a dozen times in their working life. It hurts, it’s painful, but for those who actually take it in the right way, it makes you want to be a better person, something more than what you have been.”

The former Melbourne Best and Fairest expects Stringer’s next club to be able to get the best out of him, based on his current feelings.

“Has he trained as hard as he could? Probably not. Has he played as well as he could? Probably not, but we can never all play well at the same time,” Schwarz added.

“Did he give one hundred percent all the time? No, he wouldn’t have.
“The next place he goes to will reap the rewards of how he’d be feeling right now.”

ledge
19-09-2017, 06:00 PM
He was very broken today you could hear it in his voice , personally I think he would do anything to be given another chance with us but it sounds like we are either making him wake up and keeping him or we had enough and he is out.
I am hurt as i know he could be anything and probably will be if he goes somewhere else.

GVGjr
19-09-2017, 07:20 PM
He was very broken today you could hear it in his voice , personally I think he would do anything to be given another chance with us but it sounds like we are either making him wake up and keeping him or we had enough and he is out.
I am hurt as i know he could be anything and probably will be if he goes somewhere else.

You've made this comment before, I'm intrigued why do you feel hurt?

Twodogs
19-09-2017, 07:27 PM
“WHAT IT SHOULD BE FOR JAKE IS A MASSIVE WAKE-UP CALL” (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/09/19/what-it-should-be-for-jake-is-a-massive-wake-up-call/)

David Schwarz says Jake Stringer needs to use the news that he is likely to be traded away from the Western Bulldogs as a “wakeup call” to become better.

The 23-year-old today spoke publically for the first time since coach Luke Beveridge confirmed the news, declaring he was "shocked and upset" to be put on the trade table, and never wanted to leave the club.

“What it should be for Jake is a massive wake-up call,” Schwarz said on SEN’s The Run Home.

“For a club who has invested everything into him, he’s a Premiership player, All-Australian from the year before, who is liked by most of his teammates, if they can say to him you’re not longer required that has got to be the biggest wake-up call.

“All of us face that time once or twice, or three times, or even a dozen times in their working life. It hurts, it’s painful, but for those who actually take it in the right way, it makes you want to be a better person, something more than what you have been.”

The former Melbourne Best and Fairest expects Stringer’s next club to be able to get the best out of him, based on his current feelings.

“Has he trained as hard as he could? Probably not. Has he played as well as he could? Probably not, but we can never all play well at the same time,” Schwarz added.

“Did he give one hundred percent all the time? No, he wouldn’t have.
“The next place he goes to will reap the rewards of how he’d be feeling right now.”

Thanks Ox. He's got a marvellous grasp of the bleeding obvious does Theo.

He wouldn't notice if an elephant crawled up his nose. Fair dinkum.

AndrewP6
19-09-2017, 07:47 PM
[B] if they can say to him you’re not longer required that has got to be the biggest wake-up call.

“All of us face that time once or twice, or three times, or even a dozen times in their working life.

Really? A dozen times??? All of us get sacked a dozen times in our working life? I've been a teacher nearly 20 years, and have been told my contract wasn't being renewed once. I stayed at the school.

LostDoggy
19-09-2017, 08:23 PM
Really? A dozen times??? All of us get sacked a dozen times in our working life? I've been a teacher nearly 20 years, and have been told my contract wasn't being renewed once. I stayed at the school.

Try being a casual for an agency.

ledge
19-09-2017, 08:28 PM

I was once , never again, agencies hook you up with the shiftiest work places and you can't say anything or you lose your job. Agencies are a disgrace.

Twodogs
19-09-2017, 08:53 PM

I've done a few different things for work. I've gotten bored with what I was doing a couple of times and upped sticks looking for new challenges and I've fallen out with a few bosses along the way and one of us has told the other to to stick it but even I haven't burned my way through a dozen jobs.

AndrewP6
19-09-2017, 08:57 PM

Not comparable to being employed full time by one single employer.

ledge
19-09-2017, 09:05 PM
I've had 4 fulltime jobs, been retrenched in 3 of them (10, 6 and 12 years) due to privatisation or company relocation, one casual job in between through agency, wouldn't do it again.
Clocked up 9 years in this one, it can see me through to retirement if they don't close.
I have never left a job, Mum told me working in the railways was for life when I started my trade at 15. She lied.

Twodogs
19-09-2017, 11:43 PM
I've had 4 fulltime jobs, been retrenched in 3 of them (10, 6 and 12 years) due to privatisation or company relocation, one casual job in between through agency, wouldn't do it again.
Clocked up 9 years in this one, it can see me through to retirement if they don't close.
I have never left a job, Mum told me working in the railways was for life when I started my trade at 15. She lied.

I worked 14 years in my first proper job the Commonwealth public service. Mum told me a similiar thing "son get your arse in the public service. It's a job for life and you'll never have to work a day in your life" she lied twice!" Then I worked for a while painting houses with my dad then I became a dad myself and I've been bringing up two kids and working in the disability field since.

LostDoggy
20-09-2017, 02:25 AM
When I was younger I did 4 years with two agencies at the same time. Went through 12 jobs easily.

Not many times sacked. Agencies just send you elsewhere.

ledge
20-09-2017, 03:09 AM
I worked 14 years in my first proper job the Commonwealth public service. Mum told me a similiar thing "son get your arse in the public service. It's a job for life and you'll never have to work a day in your life" she lied twice!" Then I worked for a while painting houses with my dad then I became a dad myself and I've been bringing up two kids and working in the disability field since.

So your working in the media now.

Twodogs
20-09-2017, 04:11 AM
So your working in the media now.

No. Just a single dad.

ledge
20-09-2017, 08:06 AM
No. Just a single dad.

Thought you said you were in the disabled field ;-)

Twodogs
20-09-2017, 08:39 AM

That's my job. I've got one of those and two kids to bring up.

The kids are pretty much brought up now. The boy is 19 and his sister is 16, so I've almost finished the raising of them. Best job I ever had was raising the kids. I'm a really lucky dad.

bornadog
20-09-2017, 09:38 AM
This thread has gone way off topic.

bornadog
20-09-2017, 09:45 AM
Bob Murphy says he can’t understand how Stringer didn’t see Western Bulldogs breakup coming (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/bob-murphy-says-he-cant-understand-how-stringer-didnt-see-western-bulldogs-breakup-coming/news-story/9f8b023c598120277479944d80b4879f?utm_content=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=EditorialSF&utm_source=HeraldSun&utm_medium=Twitter)

RETIRED Western Bulldogs captain Bob Murphy says issues between Jake Stringer and the Dogs have been building for two seasons.

Stringer said on Tuesday he left his exit interview after Round 23 confident of his future and was “shocked and upset” when he found out he was being put up for trade.

But Murphy said that didn’t make sense to him after ongoing issues with the hugely talented forward.
“I find that jarring. I can’t quite see how that would possibly be,” he said on SEN.

“I think the inference there is that they pulled their punches in the exit meeting and from what I know of Luke (Beveridge) and the other management team, that doesn’t strike me as accurate.

“A young player who’s been put up for trade there will always be a sense of shock but he would also acknowledge that there’s been frustration for the last couple of years.

“The idea that a player could get to the end of the year and be shocked at where they’re at, that doesn’t (seem right). There’s been a level of frustration for a couple of years and you know after a poor year change can happen

“Having said that I’m still a little bit surprised at how quickly it’s escalated.”

Asked what Stringer had done to lose the faith of the coach, Murphy said there was “a sprinkling of a few things”.
“What I would say is he’s high talent, he’s got huge self belief, but he’s not yet a fanatic for the daily grind.”

Murphy said he hadn’t given up hope Stringer could stay at the kennel but he “couldn’t wear” a suggestion the club’s leaders were to blame for letting the relationship break down.

“If it goes through and Jake ends up being traded elsewhere all of us, particularly the people in positions of leadership this year, will have a sense of disappointing and failure that it hasn’t worked.

“But he’s 22 so I still hold out some hope that it could be patched up, but at the moment it’s very raw.”

bulldogsthru&thru
20-09-2017, 09:57 AM
Murphy is not doubt telling the truth. But i'd prefer he kept his mouth shut as the more the media blames the club for this and the less that it's Jake's fault, the more we get in a trade :D

Rocket Science
20-09-2017, 10:01 AM
Oh good, more fuel for the dumpster fire.

Starting to pine for the days of nice, quiet off-seasons.

Remember those?

Twodogs
20-09-2017, 10:19 AM
This thread has gone way off topic.

Don't ever indicate that my talking about my kids are off topic ever again

bornadog
20-09-2017, 10:21 AM
Don't ever indicate that my talking about my kids are off topic ever again

Wasn't directed at your kids, a general statement.

Twodogs
20-09-2017, 10:22 AM
Wasn't directed at your kids, a general statement.

No worries. We know where we stand?

I can be a little bit unreasonable about my kids.

ledge
20-09-2017, 11:03 AM
Murphy is not doubt telling the truth. But i'd prefer he kept his mouth shut as the more the media blames the club for this and the less that it's Jake's fault, the more we get in a trade :D

Let's remember he isn't at the club anymore and is earning a bit of cash doing interviews, I love his veiw and let's face it we know it's the truth.
We all love Stringers ability and what he is capable of but you still have to pull your weight and jakes interview the other day was a little confusing , one minute he didn't have a clue it was coming, next minute he is saying he could have done a lot of things better.
Interesting comment is its been ongoing for two years.
You have to bring it to a head at some stage and this was the appropriate time it seems.

Twodogs
21-09-2017, 09:50 PM

Oh, I get it! Only took me three days...

Mofra
22-09-2017, 01:26 PM
Let's remember he isn't at the club anymore and is earning a bit of cash doing interviews, I love his veiw and let's face it we know it's the truth.
He is a Bulldogs player until the end of the AFL contract cycle which I believe is 31 October.

Bob should be a voice in the media - even as a neutral I would like his take on the AFL environment. Always seemed genuinely grateful for his career.