PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Prelim revisited

Bulldog Revolution
23-09-2017, 11:21 AM
I'm crook, it's a glorious day outside but for me it's the perfect day to revisit last years prelim

Last year about now I'm rattling up the Hume

I hate to be all Bruce about it (actually I don't 😁) but it was an incredibly special and that prelim at spotless is the single most pulsating game I've ever been to

It's also a way of dealing with this years disappointment

What are your memories of the day? Game?

JJs searing run and kick to Bont for the goal paddle gather and goal still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up

The Doctor
23-09-2017, 11:23 AM
One of the greatest days of my life. The last play of Stringer to Dickson etched in my memory forever.

My kids ringing me at the final siren with messages of congratulations and hysteria and I couldn't speak. Only cried like a baby!

Twodogs
23-09-2017, 11:30 AM
I'm crook, it's a glorious day outside but for me it's the perfect day to revisit last years prelim

Last year about now I'm rattling up the Hume

I hate to be all Bruce about it (actually I don't ��) but it was an incredibly special and that prelim at spotless is the single most pulsating game I've ever been to

It's also a way of dealing with this years disappointment

What are your memories of the day? Game?

JJs searing run and kick to Bont for the goal paddle gather and goal still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up

Jakie to Deadeye, siren! Pandemonium, noise, I'm running through the house screaming "*!*!*!*!ing yes, *!*!*!*!ing yes, *!*!*!*!ING YEEEEEEESSS!!!!!'" Then I'm in the front yard jumping and screaming and bezerking things in my front yard. My son is screaming swear words in pure delight out of the first floor window at the top of his voice.

Then I turn around. My Mexican next door neighbour is standing in his front yard with 8 of his mates watching me. And then at Harvey yelling out of his window. Then at me. Then at Harvey. Then he shrugs his shoulders as if to say "mate, are you alright?" And I think "how can I tell a man who doesn't speak much English what this is all about." And then it occurred to me and I turned around and just said said "football" and he said "ahhh, Mexicans understand football" and we ended up spending the rest of the night dancing with the other neighbours in the street.

bulldogtragic
23-09-2017, 11:46 AM
Long drive. Huge convoy of cars for 900km with scarfs coming from their windows.
Best crowd feeling ever. Tribal X 1000. Can't describe it adequately.
Booing them coming out. (Post knowing GWS officials sooked about us doing it)
Great game.
Giving it Heath Shaw pre-game and all game, from only metres away and getting the middle finger back. He listens to us! & Libba!
Great result.
Hugging dozens of strangers. (I don't hug anyone, ever)
High fiving until my hand was sore.
Back to a hotel 90 minutes away, fully booked by WBFC people.
Long drive home day after.
One of the best days of my life.
Overall, better than the GF day, just.

ledge
23-09-2017, 12:01 PM
To be honest I was in shock couldn't believe it, didn't know what to do celebrate or keep a lid on it , knowing how stressed I would be , dreaming and begging for the next Saturday to be over and wishing the outcome would be ours.

Rocket Science
23-09-2017, 12:06 PM
Zaine's expertly timed knee was a thing of beauty.

There should be a bronze cast of that moment erected next to EJ's statue.

Sedat
23-09-2017, 01:22 PM
1. The entire passage of play leading to Caleb Daniel's goal just before 3/4 time - we don't win without it
2. The Matty Boyd skewiff kick off the ground that lands perfectly in the path of JJ for his run - our very own Scarlett toe poke moment
3. Picko and Libba grunt work to start the passage of play resulting in Macrae's goal
4. Heath Shaw completely cooked by Libba's taunting - 4 goals to Dickson the direct result
5. Patton shitting the bed with an oncoming Easton Wood terrorising him and winning the ground ball

So many wonderful memories.

bornadog
23-09-2017, 02:10 PM
Flew up with my mate early morning and checked into a hotel not far from the airport. Thanks to Aker39, for letting me know the hotel was brand new and had opening specials. We decided to train it into Circular Quay and have a walk around the Opera house and rocks area. The whole area was full of Bulldogs fans, scarves, caps, jumpers etc etc. Every cafe, eatery, people walking around a great site to see in Sydney. Ran into Comrade and not long after ran into Aker39. It was a great start to the day and everyone was excited at the prospect we could be in a GF

After lunch, made our way to the stadium to get a beer and mingle with other supporters. Getting off the train at Homebush, I ran into someone I was catching up with every week in a walking group, with his son. 15,000 plus fans and I run into people I know, such a small world. We decided to hang around together and their seats were near to ours. WE tried a number of venues and couldn't get a beer anywhere, the outside venues didn't anticipate such a big crowd. Decided to go into the ground, still an hour before the game and at last we could get a couple of beers and discuss the up coming game. Standing on the terrace, and Mitch Wallis stops over for a chat. He was nervous as hell and great bloke to talk to.

Game time, and on runs the Plastics to massive boo, wow our fans sounded like the 90,000 Tigers fans.

During the last 10 minutes of the game, I have never been so tense, my legs were sore for days. My mate back in Melbourne was texting me how much was time left for the last 3 minutes of the game. I said to my mate, if this is a draw, I don't know if I can cope with another ten minutes.

When the ball was sailing through the air into the arms of Dickson, and I knew there was only 30 seconds left, that feeling was one of the greatest in my life knowing we were in the grand final. I didn't even see Dickson kick the ball I was jumping so high. The roar of the crowd was so massive and honestly have never heard anything so load. (until the GF)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT0DqIzr8IQ

The next day at the airport for a 9.30 flight caught up with the same guys as we were on the same flight. We talked and talked about the game, and didn't hear there was a gate change and missed our flight. Unfortunately the next available was at 2pm which meant couldn't get to Etihad for the VFL GF.

What a day, one of the greatest ever,

Smads57
23-09-2017, 02:28 PM
As a result of that day and the match, Spotless is now my favourite ground (after the MCG and Etihad...)

Twodogs
23-09-2017, 03:17 PM
Zaine's expertly timed knee was a thing of beauty.

There should be a bronze cast of that moment erected next to EJ's statue.

Zaine is the sort of player at other clubs who would retire with 200 odd games and 3 premierships. I'd look at it and think "really. Zaine Cordy (Ian Aitkin, Ray Jenke) played in 3 premierships? How?"

Now I now how and why.

The bulldog tragician
23-09-2017, 03:20 PM
One day I will be able to remember the sound and feel of the final siren sounding without crying. One day....

Eastdog
23-09-2017, 03:32 PM
What a great game it was. I'll never forget it. Like Twodogs was watching it at home hoping we would prevail and in the end we did. Was in tears at the end of the match being the only Dogs supporter in my family they were all very happy for me. Got texts etc from other family and friends saying congratulations.

I've suggested to do a WOOFcast at some stage of our 2016 finals series the Grand final and prelim certainly would be great to relive again with fellow woofers.

aker39
23-09-2017, 03:57 PM
After working at the MCG the night before and not getting to bed until 1.00am, I was up at 4.30am to get to the airport for a 6.00am flight. We were lucky to check in to our hotel att 8.00am and I had a couple of hours sleep while my sister took my soon for a swim.

Got the train in to Circular Quay and went for a walk around the Rocks and gave the nod to hundreds of Dogs supporters.

Then caught the train to catch up with 15 family members at The Brewery Bar at Novotel Olympic Park. Walking out if the station only positive vibes were around. I had been lucky enough to be in the same precinct when Cathy Freeman won gold and when Australia beat Uruguay to qualify for the World Cup. Great atmosphere with the place packed out with bulldog supporters singing the song many times.

Made our way to the ground and walking in the nerves started to take over, only to be settled by the boos when GWS ran out for their warm up. I knew then that the supporters were going to do everything to help finally kill the preliminary final curse.

Watching Heath Shaw make mistake after mistake was a joy to behold. I will always remember the Daniel and Bont goals but after having seen numerous GF dreams crushed by missed set shots, McCrae's goal will always be the highlight.

To be there and celebrate with my family was the most special moment. And celebrate we did. Back to the Novotel for one big party, watching the Melbourne Storm preliminary final and then a full replay of our game, mingling with former Footscray players who had the biggest grins. Seeing the joy on their faces was another special moment.
Caught the last train from Olympic Park and got to bed at 1.30am before getting up at 4.30am for a 6.00am flight home.

I have said it before, GF day was an awesome day, but nothing will beat PF day 2016.

Eastdog
23-09-2017, 04:04 PM
As a result of that day and the match, Spotless is now my favourite ground (after the MCG and Etihad...)

Yep it holds a special place now Spotless in our clubs history. It was where we made the AFL Grand Final and broke a 55 years drought of not getting there.

Eastdog
23-09-2017, 06:48 PM
I need to get the Bulldog time machine and set it to September 2016 :)

Rocket Science
23-09-2017, 07:50 PM
http://i65.tinypic.com/ngc9l.jpg

Now taking orders ...

Eastdog
23-09-2017, 07:55 PM
Love it RS :D :D

Rocket Science
23-09-2017, 08:28 PM
Love it RS :D :D

;) how many can I put you down for?

Eastdog
23-09-2017, 08:33 PM

Hard to know where I would put in on my wall :)

Twodogs
23-09-2017, 09:26 PM

Now taking orders ...

Remind me never to go into business with you mate. Why would I buy kne when I can print one for free.

Put me down for 5 thanks.

EasternWest
23-09-2017, 09:53 PM

Now taking orders ...

Rocket you are in a league of your own. Outstanding.

I know this will go against the grain but I felt bad for Callan Ward then, and I felt bad for him today.

I mean, I wanted Richmond to win but I still feel a great deal if affection for Ward.

always right
23-09-2017, 10:40 PM
Personally I'm still getting over the disappointment of GWS missing out on another GF opportunity. Really feeling for Patton, Toby, Devon, Rory and Jeremy.

comrade
23-09-2017, 10:56 PM
I just typed out a bunch of stuff that happened that day, but deleted it because it was pretty much just describing how I drank way too much before the game and proceeded to sledge, heckle and verbally abuse every Giants fan and player that crossed my path. I think the highlight may have been asking Craig Lambert where Lachie Whitfield's drug stash was.

It was an epic night.

Dry Rot
23-09-2017, 11:51 PM
Personally I'm still getting over the disappointment of GWS missing out on another GF opportunity. Really feeling for Patton, Toby, Devon, Rory and Jeremy.

At least Jeremy played as well in the year's PF as he did last year.

merantau
24-09-2017, 12:06 AM
It was simply the best game I've ever seen. I was in a bar at Hu'u Beach in east Sumbawa. There were only half a dozen people watching the game none of whom were Dogs supporters. But all wanted us to win.
There were so many great moments in that game.
Daniel's goal at the end of the third so crucial.
When they went 14 points up early in the last my heart began to sink. I thought it would be de ja vu all over again.
But almost immediately Dicko marks, plays on and GOALS!
The run of JJ and Bont's goal were INSANE!
Macrae's goal was such a pressure kick and he NAILED it!
The last few minutes were desperate football.
When Stringer centres the ball and the crowd roar before Dicko marks - that moment will be with me till the day I die. The feeling of joy is beyond the understanding of non- Bulldog people. No one will ever experience such depth of joy. Go Dogs!

Twodogs
24-09-2017, 08:37 AM
Rocket you are in a league of your own. Outstanding.

I know this will go against the grain but I felt bad for Callan Ward then, and I felt bad for him today.

I mean, I wanted Richmond to win but I still feel a great deal if affection for Ward.

Really? My take is he made his bed so he can lie in it. It's not as if he took one big contract and came home after he'd honoured it. He signed another contract to stay. He's proven that money is his God and that he is as big an empty shell as any other person, sorry I meant to say entity, associated with that club.

Callan Ward has no soul.

westdog54
24-09-2017, 09:02 AM
I would love to know what Libba Said to Heath Shaw to rile him up. There was murderous intent in his eyes.

Clay Smith played the game of his life after a personal tragedy.

JJ to the Bont. Say no more.

That frantic last two minutes. Unbelievable.

And then the pass. That beautiful, beautiful pass.

Oh what a night.

josie
24-09-2017, 09:18 AM
Loved reading all these tense yet joyous memories.

Mine similar, went up on Roughy bus. Despondent when 14 points flipping between self pity of losing another prelim to trying to bolster myself with next time we are in a prelim....whilst my friend kept saying hey it's not over yet. All the plays that have been mentioned are so spot on.

Two more late plays that come to mind are wood and Morris's and others desperate attempts to keep ball congested in plastic's backline, geez Morris played that well and put his hands up in air at just the right time to signify he was not tackling high. Another is macleans desperate efforts playing as an inside mid on the wing- thought he was majestic on the day as were quite a few others.

The elation when siren sounded was like no other. SMS from friends, random hugs, lots of joyous tears, getting lost on way back to bus, helping lovely elderly bloke back to the buses once I found my sense of direction only to find he has same birthday as EJ and is a life member (not superstitious however thought is this an omen for a win in the GF?) watching highlights on phone in bus back, no sleep of course.

Then to cap it all off the added buzz of watching our 'Scray boys win the vfl grannie. What a weekend.

Twodogs
24-09-2017, 11:03 AM
I would love to know what Libba Said to Heath Shaw to rile him up. There was murderous intent in his eyes.

Clay Smith played the game of his life after a personal tragedy.

JJ to the Bont. Say no more.

That frantic last two minutes. Unbelievable.

And then the pass. That beautiful, beautiful pass.

Oh what a night.

The world stopped when JJ kicked that ball and then went into that slo-mo car accident thing. At one stage I saw the world in its entirety.

There's an article or even a book in that. Who said what to who and when they said it during the 2017 Prelim Final. I'd love to watch that game with the commentary turned off and the umpires mics turned on. It would give it a great context.

SlimPickens
24-09-2017, 11:13 AM
The world stopped when JJ kicked that ball and then went into that slo-mo car accident thing. At one stage I saw the world in its entirety.

I'm pretty sure the reference is Stringers's pass to Dicko.

Flamethrower
24-09-2017, 11:50 AM
One day I will be able to remember the sound and feel of the final siren sounding without crying. One day....

Good luck with that!

Amazing game, amazing day. A day I never thought would come.

I had been to all 7 losing prelims since '85 like a lot of us on here - going through all the associated emotions with one common outcome - utter devastation.

The game itself was a roller coaster of emotion - early ups when we entered the arena to a heroes welcome and the Orange People to a chorus of bronx cheers, followed by Clay getting us off to a bright start, Easton's hanger and Libba's baiting.

Downs when the tsunami kicked into gear, and Rough going down. Pride when Tommy took on the Mummy and kept us in the game. Hope when an amazing play led to a Caleb snapped goal that kept us close, followed by dread when they kicked away again early in the final term.

The final 20 minutes were amazing with the boys refusing to let the opportunity slip - JJ's courage to gut run when everyone was out on their feet, breaking the game open and leading Bont to a goal of beauty.

Then the surge that led to Jacko's oppotunity, and the goal that suddenly had us in front with the finish line in sight. Could we hold on? Could we erase the ghosts of season's past, or would our history of disappointment come back to haunt us?

Those final minutes were as tense as anything I had ever experienced. Finally we had possession with less than a minute left. Come on guys - ice the clock - get us home.

Dunks goes long down the line - good boy - the ball spills out the back - we get it - getting excited - quick hands, the ball ends up with Jakey, 30 seconds left, Jakey spots Dicko all by himself and delivers a magnificent pass. Dicko marks, 27 seconds left, he has 30 seconds to take his kick - THAT'S IT - IT'S OVER - WE ARE IN THE GRAND FINAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Running around like a lunatic, screaming who know's what, phone going crazy with messages, tear pouring down my face - pround as heck with our boys.

Sorry Swans, you have NO chance next week - we are a team of destiny - the flag will be ours!!!!

A big thank you to those who have posted the videos of the crowd scenes on you tube, which allow me to vividly remember what turned out to be an amazing day.

Twodogs
24-09-2017, 12:42 PM

Bugger me I highlighted the wrong bit. Of well like Lou Reed said Sunday morning and I'm falling.

The world still stopped when JJ passed that ball to the Bont.

aker39
24-09-2017, 01:57 PM
A big thank you to those who have posted the videos of the crowd scenes on you tube, which allow me to vividly remember what turned out to be an amazing day.

I watched quite a few of the videos last night and my favourite is the pubs of Footscray.

Bulldog Revolution
24-09-2017, 01:59 PM
McLean had a fantastic last quarter in the prelim and just like in the grand final Matt Boyd has some decisive touches - he had a clear head in the chaos of both games - side stepping and banging the ball forward

EasternWest
24-09-2017, 11:14 PM
Really? My take is he made his bed so he can lie in it. It's not as if he took one big contract and came home after he'd honoured it. He signed another contract to stay. He's proven that money is his God and that he is as big an empty shell as any other person, sorry I meant to say entity, associated with that club.

Callan Ward has no soul.

Disagree but no point arguing it.

westdog54
25-09-2017, 12:05 AM

No, TD was on the money. JJ's pass to Marcus in a paddock of space to put us in front. Its one of my favourite goals of all time. Only Picken's 2nd in the Granny surpasses it.

Twodogs
25-09-2017, 12:59 AM
Disagree but no point arguing it.

You're not from the west are you? I don't mean to be rude but it's a westy thing. By that I don't mean you aren't entitled to an opinion I mean that Ward turned his back on his people for money and money ain't our God. There are far more important things.

I don't really expect anyone not from the western suburbs to understand, it's pretty insane but it is what it is.

A few days ago GVRjr asked ledge why he was taking the Jake Stringer thing so personally. It's because if you come from Footscray or Yarraville or Sunshine or Braybrook then this club is in your DNA. Our parents loved the club, our grandparents loved the club, we love the club and we make sure our kids love the club. It's what connects us to our extended family, it's our community's proudest possession. We don't barrack for it we live for it, it's part if us. It's the first thing we are taught to love.

That's what Callan Ward abandoned in his rush for cash.

merantau
25-09-2017, 10:55 PM
There is a lot in what you say Twodogs. I felt totally betrayed when one of our own left for money. I'm pretty sure Bill Gunn was his grandfather. Came from Yarraville, Seddon or Spotswood. Only reason he played for South was because he was zoned to them. Bill Gunn's brother, Terry, was the Stadiums referee Terry Reilly, if I'm not mistaken.
No,sorry Callan you are persona non grata as far as I'm concerned too.

Bulldog Revolution
26-09-2017, 10:09 AM
I don't think it's completely a from the west thing

I wasn't born in raised in the west - my dad was - but there's no way I can accept that I love the club any less

I suspect in part it's generational - supporters of my vintage (40s) have still lost a lot of gun players over the years but it's a lot less than those older, and than it could have been

I find our holding of grudges against former players frustrating:

I cease to care about them when they leave - they are irrelevant to me, almost dead, and I don't care what they do or dont do

I'm saddened it got to the stage it did with Griff and I can accept Callan Ward felt he had to take the money - so in part I blame our club in part for those decisions. I can however accept supporters booing them in a prelim ;)

I blame Malthouse for Hardie - I blame NBrown for being NBrown and just wished we hadn't wasted the picks we got

We moved Cooney and Lake on so I can't blame them either

craigsahibee
26-09-2017, 10:50 AM
Just one of the great days ever.

From leaving Whitten Oval on the Bont Express, to Bevo shouting Breakfast in Wodonga to the camaraderie felt in the bar before the game outside Spotless with hundreds of other Bulldog faithful and the sense of calm that overcame me throughout the last quarter. I'm not sure whether it was a sense of pride knowing how great an effort was from the lads to get this far or whether I knew we "had this". For some strange reason, I was never worried during the last quarter. The whole competition had thrown everything they had at us all year and we didn't buckle, never waivered, it was our time. Even as we walked into Spotless and one of the orange clad volunteers asked if I wanted to buy a Premiership Pin to raise cash for the homeless, I casually replied "Nah, I'll get mine next week".

At the time, It was the greatest footy day I had ever had, and to be honest, was only just surpassed the following weekend. September 2016 is the greatest footy story ever told and I feel privileged to be a part of it. For the past heroes of our footy club and the magnificent legion of fans we have, we all got to share in a great time in our lives.

always right
26-09-2017, 11:29 AM
Just one of the great days ever.

From leaving Whitten Oval on the Bont Express, to Bevo shouting Breakfast in Wodonga to the camaraderie felt in the bar before the game outside Spotless with hundreds of other Bulldog faithful and the sense of calm that overcame me throughout the last quarter. I'm not sure whether it was a sense of pride knowing how great an effort was from the lads to get this far or whether I knew we "had this". For some strange reason, I was never worried during the last quarter. The whole competition had thrown everything they had at us all year and we didn't buckle, never waivered, it was our time. Even as we walked into Spotless and one of the orange clad volunteers asked if I wanted to buy a Premiership Pin to raise cash for the homeless, I casually replied "Nah, I'll get mine next week".

At the time, It was the greatest footy day I had ever had, and to be honest, was only just surpassed the following weekend. September 2016 is the greatest footy story ever told and I feel privileged to be a part of it. For the past heroes of our footy club and the magnificent legion of fans we have, we all got to share in a great time in our lives.

Funny how all of my family agree the prelim was better than the GF. Being there was obviously a major factor but it was more about the quality of the game, the passion of the supporters, the emotion once Dickson took that mark, and the relief of finally getting the gorilla off the back. What a time.

PS: We did quite enjoy the grand final.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2017, 11:37 AM
Not sure if it's just me, but until then I'd not travelled much to go to interstate games. But getting the stadium ticket, booking hotel, driving up for 9 hours...

It never crossed my mind that we would lose. I've never felt like this. Not arrogance, probably not confidence, but us losing never occurred to me for a second. I was going up there to see a prelim win and that's how it would be. And we won. It was a foreign feeling. Not sure if others had it too?

always right
26-09-2017, 02:09 PM
Not sure if it's just me, but until then I'd not travelled much to go to interstate games. But getting the stadium ticket, booking hotel, driving up for 9 hours...

It never crossed my mind that we would lose. I've never felt like this. Not arrogance, probably not confidence, but us losing never occurred to me for a second. I was going up there to see a prelim win and that's how it would be. And we won. It was a foreign feeling. Not sure if others had it too?
I had that feeling in the grand final.

Twodogs
26-09-2017, 03:15 PM
I had that feeling in the grand final.

Me too. When I got to the ground and found my seat my mate was already in his. The first thing he said was "we are going to lose aren't we?" But I had been confident all week (I was strangely confident we'd go all the way after we beat West Coast) and said we'd win by 4 goals.

Twodogs
26-09-2017, 03:18 PM

I knew from the moment that I was going to have to watch it on TV that we would win. I just knew it.

Doesn't matter. Now I know what it takes for us to win prelims. I just have to keep away from the ground and watch on TVi.

Daughter of the West
26-09-2017, 03:54 PM
I had joked with hubby before the Hawthorn game that if we won, I'd have to be in Sydney for the prelim. It suddenly dawned on me that Sunday that I actually had to book a flight!

That crowd at Spotless was like nothing I had ever experienced. Just primal.

The moment that stood out for me was Jack Macrae's goal. The sheer emotion that poured out of him when he flung his fist through the air after he nailed it was something else. I was sitting behind the goals down that end and I could feel his energy from the back row.

The siren. My sister dissolving into tears and me just hugging her. The high fives. The lack of voice afterward. Standing on the hallowed turf of Spotless and then making snow angels in the turf. The grass was so soft!

Then finding a pub near Central Station and grabbing well earned parmas for all of our group. Later we noticed that the replay was on, so we went out to the front bar to soak it all up again. Got to three quarter time, and I turned around and realised that the pub was full of fellow supporters! With two minutes to go in the final, the cheeky security guard changed the channel and the whole pub erupted! He had the good sense to change it back quick smart after that. Then all of the fans cheering and high fiving all over again.

The next morning, I caught the plane home, and Smorgo was a couple ahead of me in the queue. I introduced myself, congratulated him and shook his hand. A couple standing in front of me (originally from England I think) asked, "Who is that man? Everybody seems to be very friendly with him!" I explained that he was the former President of the Bulldogs and what had happened the night before. And the smile on Smorgo - like the cat that caught the cream!

I still maintain that that was a better day for me than the grand final. Don't get me wrong, the granny was damn, f-trucking awesome, but there was something about getting the prelim final monkey off our back, against the odds, interstate but feeling like a Bulldogs home game, it was just... relief that an old curse had been broken.

westdog54
29-09-2017, 04:09 AM

There's an article or even a book in that. Who said what to who and when they said it during the 2017 Prelim Final. I'd love to watch that game with the commentary turned off and the umpires mics turned on. It would give it a great context.

I've been watching the prelim final again this morning (I'm on nightshift and its a slow night), and its Clay Smith that Shaw is eyeballing, not Libba.

AndrewP6
29-09-2017, 08:50 PM
End of the Hawthorn game, I said to Mum "Want to go to Sydney?". Mum can't afford membership, so I wanted her to be there as much as possible. Spent an absolute F***load of money to get us up there. Nervous as hell the day of the game, but just went in thinking we would have a crack. Sat in a great spot, right on the wing, behind the Smorgon family, not far from Mark Seymour, ripping seats.

Thought all game "We are in this, they're still fighting". Smorgon's son was getting time updates in the last quarter (I couldn't even hear the radio in my earphones), and he said several times "Two minutes left!" - problem was, he said it for about ten minutes! I seriously thought I was going to keel over. When that final siren went, and the place erupted, what an unbelievable feeling. My family aren't an emotional, hugging sort of family, but I gave mum a huge hug, as well as several complete strangers. There were several GWS fans in the bar behind us, giving us grief when they started to get on top of us. On that final siren, I gave it right back to them, telling them, as they had done to us, to "get on the plane", "Start your holiday now!"... I thought the cops next to me might have a word, but they just stood silently :D I sung that song with everything I had, over and over again. In my lifetime, the Dogs had been at the bottom, near the eight, in the eight, to the prelim, but never in the big one. Always everyone's favourite team, we were down to the final two. I only had one drink that day, due to the horrendous catering at Soulless Stadium, but I felt as high as ever for hours and hours after. We were going to the big dance!!!

Twodogs
29-09-2017, 08:57 PM
End of the Hawthorn game, I said to Mum "Want to go to Sydney?". Mum can't afford membership, so I wanted her to be there as much as possible. Spent an absolute F***load of money to get us up there. Nervous as hell the day of the game, but just went in thinking we would have a crack. Sat in a great spot, right on the wing, behind the Smorgon family, not far from Mark Seymour, ripping seats.

Thought all game "We are in this, they're still fighting". Smorgon's son was getting time updates in the last quarter (I couldn't even hear the radio in my earphones), and he said several times "Two minutes left!" - problem was, he said it for about ten minutes! I seriously thought I was going to keel over. When that final siren went, and the place erupted, what an unbelievable feeling. My family aren't an emotional, hugging sort of family, but I gave mum a huge hug, as well as several complete strangers. There were several GWS fans in the bar behind us, giving us grief when they started to get on top of us. On that final siren, I gave it right back to them, telling them, as they had done to us, to "get on the plane", "Start your holiday now!"... I thought the cops next to me might have a word, but they just stood silently :D I sung that song with everything I had, over and over again. In my lifetime, the Dogs had been at the bottom, near the eight, in the eight, to the prelim, but never in the big one. Always everyone's favourite team, we were down to the final two. I only had one drink that day, due to the horrendous catering at Soulless Stadium, but I felt as high as ever for hours and hours after. We were going to the big dance!!!

It is the best high I have ever had. I chased the Dagon hard when I was a younger man but that night I couldn't stop smiling and my head was pinging until it hurt.