PDA

View Full Version : Other clubs trade activity

Pages : [1] 2

GVGjr
27-09-2017, 11:49 AM
SEN are reporting the following: Talk about fast tracking a clubs fortunes

SEN news breaker Sam McClure (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/09/27/is-this-carlton-s-mega-midfield-plan/) is reporting Carlton is set to conduct a major midfield shake-up in the offseason, in an attempt to beef up their engine room.

The Blues finished 16th this season, winning just six matches, after being victorious seven times in 2016. However, with five NAB Rising Star nominations (Caleb Marchbank, Sam Petrevski-Seton, David Cuningham, Jack Silvagni, Charlie Curnow), Carlton seems to be on the right track.

McClure reckons an aggressive mindset in the trade period could see the Blues’ rebuild fast-tracked.

“Tom Rockliff met with Carlton yesterday, and we believe he will also be meeting with Port Adelaide,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“Carlton is well in front of Port Adelaide in their pursuit of Tom Rockliff. As it stands, with Bryce Gibbs yet to be officially requesting a trade back to the Adelaide Crows, Carlton is desperately trying to increase their midfield depth.

“They want Gibbs and Rockliff playing in the same midfield. They’re also very interested in Matthew Kennedy, who may be forced out of Greater Western Sydney, he has had his injury worries this year but is highly rated internally at the Giants, and externally by other clubs, particularly by Stephen Silvagni.

“Devon Smith is also very much on Carlton’s radar, and with Geelong now turning their attention to Jake Stringer and Gary Ablett, Devon Smith may find his way to Princess Park next season.”

Smith was left out of the Giants’ three finals matches, and concerns still surround the magnitude of his knee ailment, which will come under consideration in the player exchange season.

“There is interest from other clubs into what degree his [Smith’s] knee injury is debilitating,” McClure said.

“He has struggled with his knee and struggled to get up from week to week. He trained fully ahead of the Preliminary Final, but the week before, was really struggling with knee soreness.

“There will be a fair bit of due diligence, particularly from the Carlton footy club, and his medical, to see what kind of knee injury Devon Smith has.”

GVGjr
27-09-2017, 11:51 AM
Rockcliff, Smith and Kennedy along with keep Gibbs to go along with Murphy and Cripps makes them a very strong midfield outfit

Are Carlton helping GWS with their salary cap issues?

ledge
27-09-2017, 12:06 PM
They might be selling the Nth idea back in the 70s.. We are getting all these players next year we want you to be one of the bunch that wins premierships, join the new Carlton era.
Problem is how do they get all these players or did Sam Not think about that ?

Axe Man
27-09-2017, 01:07 PM
They might be selling the Nth idea back in the 70s.. We are getting all these players next year we want you to be one of the bunch that wins premierships, join the new Carlton era.
Problem is how do they get all these players or did Sam Not think about that ?

Rockliff is a free agent and it wouldn't be that difficult for them to package up something for Smith and Kennedy.

KT31
27-09-2017, 02:39 PM
Hope we have made a call to Rockliff's agent.

ledge
27-09-2017, 03:04 PM
Rockliff is a free agent and it wouldn't be that difficult for them to package up something for Smith and Kennedy.

If no other clubs are interested.

Bulldog Revolution
27-09-2017, 08:25 PM
Rockcliff, Smith and Kennedy along with keep Gibbs to go along with Murphy and Cripps makes them a very strong midfield outfit

Are Carlton helping GWS with their salary cap issues?

They are basically paying GWS cash for players by helping them with their salary cap like this

They did the same by taking palmer as part of a package of other parts last year and not giving up much in return

bulldogtragic
27-09-2017, 08:32 PM
They are basically paying GWS cash for players by helping them with their salary cap like this

They did the same by taking palmer as part of a package of other parts last year and not giving up much in return

If it was a problem the AFEL would pretend to care. Someone could do the same with Tippett too. I think clubs should make other clubs accountable for their list management, not bail them out.

ledge
27-09-2017, 08:35 PM
It does affect their salary cap though doesn't it ?

bulldogtragic
27-09-2017, 08:40 PM
It does affect their salary cap though doesn't it ?

Yep. But they have to pay the minimum, so it's nothing to them. They get the desired player, and the cap payments and delisting the likes of Palmer/Gryphone etc just a matter of course.

bornadog
27-09-2017, 11:35 PM
Sam Landsberger reporting Port is interested in Watts.

ledge
27-09-2017, 11:39 PM
Sam Landsberger reporting Port is interested in Watts.

If you want a player who will find space and say kick it to me he is perfect but if you want him to go in and get the hard ball forget it.
Blokes a gun with ball in hand but is soft in my opinion.

Topdog
28-09-2017, 07:43 AM
According to the media Port are leading the race for Motlop, Rocky and Watts

Twodogs
28-09-2017, 08:11 AM

They must be in the window.

ledge
28-09-2017, 08:35 AM

I love the "leading the race" statement, it actually means I ( the reporter) is leading the race to tell you something first.
In fact let's match every club with every player leading up to draft and trade days and we can't go wrong.

GVGjr
28-09-2017, 08:51 AM
I love the "leading the race" statement, it actually means I ( the reporter) is leading the race to tell you something first.
In fact let's match every club with every player leading up to draft and trade days and we can't go wrong.

You're discrediting every news source someone reports on the forum. We get it that you don't rate the speculation.

GVGjr
28-09-2017, 08:52 AM

It would make a huge difference to their list. Motlop and Watts would be huge for their forward line. Rocky top's off their mids.
If they get all 3 they really must rate their chances

ledge
28-09-2017, 09:21 AM
Port are missing something, but can never pin point it , I think it's culture and hardness, when they are in front and running they can beat anyone but once the game means something or it's built up or pressure is on they tend to crumble or find a way to lose.
That soft underbelly seems to always be there.

ledge
28-09-2017, 09:22 AM
You're discrediting every news source someone reports on the forum. We get it that you don't rate the speculation.

Yeah sorry it just seems to have sent me nuts, it's why I started the facts thread.

Bulldog Revolution
28-09-2017, 09:34 AM

Get all of those and they've had a great trade period

bulldogtragic
28-09-2017, 09:43 AM
Get all of those and they've had a great trade period

Id be interested to know if we enquired on all of those, and if they all preferred another club over ours.

Twodogs
28-09-2017, 10:02 AM
Port are missing something, but can never pin point it , I think it's culture and hardness, when they are in front and running they can beat anyone but once the game means something or it's built up or pressure is on they tend to crumble or find a way to lose.
That soft underbelly seems to always be there.

Flat track bullies.

Mofra
28-09-2017, 11:22 AM

Ditto North by taking Ahern last year, former pick 7 on a $300k pa contract extension who hadn't debuted. Got him for a late pick.

Bulldog Revolution
28-09-2017, 04:11 PM
Ditto North by taking Ahern last year, former pick 7 on a $300k pa contract extension who hadn't debuted. Got him for a late pick.

It's not a bad strategy if you are rebuilding but more costly if you aren't

Happy Days
28-09-2017, 04:35 PM

I really liked that trade. Ahern was a jet junior and it's been proven many, many times over that two knee reco's does not end a career, or even hinder it in some cases.

bornadog
28-09-2017, 04:50 PM
Aaron Young (Port), wants to go to Gold Coast

Axe Man
28-09-2017, 05:55 PM
Devon Smith, Matt Kennedy and Nathan Wilson have all requested trades out from GWS. Wilson to WA for family reasons.

Bulldog Revolution
28-09-2017, 06:04 PM
Devon Smith, Matt Kennedy and Nathan Wilson have all requested trades out from GWS. Wilson to WA for family reasons.

Money and opportunity is what they want

Remi Moses
28-09-2017, 09:07 PM
Wilson a good get for freo .

bornadog
28-09-2017, 09:09 PM
Do we want Devon.

GVGjr
28-09-2017, 09:12 PM
AFL Trade Whisperer on Twitter is reporting that there has been a falling out between Watts and Melbourne. Long odds were quoted for him to be there next year

GVGjr
28-09-2017, 09:13 PM
Do we want Devon.

He would be a nice pick up

bulldogtragic
28-09-2017, 09:17 PM
Do we want Devon.

Or Kennedy. I haven't seen too much of him.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2017, 09:18 PM
AFL Trade Whisperer on Twitter is reporting that there has been a falling out between Watts and Melbourne. Long odds were quoted for him to be there next year

I'm happy to chat to him, and see what Melbourne are after.

Go_Dogs
29-09-2017, 10:34 AM
Wonder if Kelly is regretting putting pen to paper now? Could be a giant exodus.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-09-2017, 10:41 AM
Wonder if Kelly is regretting putting pen to paper now? Could be a giant exodus.

Not sure that's really an exodus, nor a surprise for the club. I'd heard early in the year that at least one club was looking at Kennedy. Smith and Wilson too have been long thought to be considering their options going forward.
Kelly knew of this before he re-signed.

Only Wilson's loss could really be seen as a hit to their best 22 right now.

GVGjr
29-09-2017, 10:44 AM

His new contract might have squeezed out at least one player

1eyedog
29-09-2017, 10:54 AM

Apparently they have approached Port.

* edit already been mentioned in previous post.

Twodogs
29-09-2017, 12:15 PM

I said at the time that he had to either be prepared to sell the Giants down the river (I wouldn't have hesitated) or be prepared to go through the farcical existence the Giants will go through until their inevitable relocation to a football state or amalgamation with the Swans (it will be a takeover by the Swans really. The Giants dont have any history or presence that needs remembering, so why would you bother commemorating anything about them?). I even said I was disappointed that he didn't sell the Giants down the river and that he isn't the player I thought he was. He can stay up there and suffer in his jocks.

Bulldog4life
29-09-2017, 12:16 PM
Jon Ralph‏Verified account @RalphyHeraldSun 16h16 hours ago
More
Fremantle's Hayden Crozier not a big name but off to the Dogs. Only 23, kicked 13 goals at half forward this year. Get him for later pick

chef
29-09-2017, 12:26 PM
More
Fremantle's Hayden Crozier not a big name but off to the Dogs. Only 23, kicked 13 goals at half forward this year. Get him for later pick

Worth while gamble.

Twodogs
29-09-2017, 12:35 PM
Worth while gamble.

Given the fact Crozier can kick straight I would argue that it's a gamble.:)

bulldogtragic
29-09-2017, 12:35 PM
More

I guess that our pick 39, less free agency compo probably blowing it out to about pick 43.

Pick 43 for Crozier. That'd be fine by me in addition to Trengove.

GVGjr
29-09-2017, 12:45 PM
Fremantle want a few players heading back their way, Wilson, Matera and have even been sniffing around to see if Hogan is available.
Last year they have acquired Hamling, Hill, McCarthy and Kersten

So the likes of Suban, Crozier and Balic will be looking to return home

Bulldog Revolution
29-09-2017, 12:48 PM
Fremantle want a few players heading back their way, Wilson, Matera and have even been sniffing around to see if Hogan is available.
Last year they have acquired Hamling, Hill, McCarthy and Kersten

So the likes of Suban, Crozier and Balic will be looking to return home

Yes it's a straight forward equation for them

They are starting to do a good job bringing guys back and they have to open up spots in the team and in the list

Crozier could be a good addition for us - ready to go IMO

GVGjr
29-09-2017, 01:01 PM
Yes it's a straight forward equation for them

They are starting to do a good job bringing guys back and they have to open up spots in the team and in the list

Crozier could be a good addition for us - ready to go IMO

He played 19 games for them last year so we would have to think he's going to do something similar with us. Playing as a half forward this year his disposal numbers numbers were understandably a bit down on his 2016 numbers (where he played as a defender/winger) but ironically his best performance was a 20 possession game against us.
Crozier kick 13 goals 17 so had 30 shots at goal. Perhaps playing more games at Etihad and hopefully with a stronger team will improve his conversion numbers. 16 goals 14 would look pretty good for us.
Crozier averaged nearly 4 tackles a game so he gets the need to be defensive minded when playing as a forward.

He's probably not going to set the world on fire for us but be a consistent contributor. I'd say that he's pitted against Clay Smith and Dickson for a spot in our forward line.

bulldogtragic
29-09-2017, 01:30 PM
He played 19 games for them last year so we would have to think he's going to do something similar with us. Playing as a half forward this year his disposal numbers numbers were understandably a bit down on his 2016 numbers (where he played as a defender/winger) but ironically his best performance was a 20 possession game against us.
Crozier kick 13 goals 17 so had 30 shots at goal. Perhaps playing more games at Etihad and hopefully with a stronger team will improve his conversion numbers. 16 goals 14 would look pretty good for us.
Crozier averaged nearly 4 tackles a game so he gets the need to be defensive minded when playing as a forward.

He's probably not going to set the world on fire for us but be a consistent contributor. I'd say that he's pitted against Clay Smith and Dickson for a spot in our forward line.

And the rotating inside midfielder Wallis, Dunkley etc.

I have two questions:

- Dalrymple rates him, where does he think Crozier should be played? (Having played both forward and back flank)
- Where does Bevo think Crozier should be played?

GVGjr
29-09-2017, 01:35 PM
Great questions BT, I think we will have to wait to see how it plays out.
I suspect Dalrymple hasn't followed him much in the last few years and it's more of a J-Mac and Bevo identification. His kicking skills should appeal to Bevo.

bulldogtragic
29-09-2017, 01:39 PM
Great questions BT, I think we will have to wait to see how it plays out.
I suspect Dalrymple hasn't followed him much in the last few years and it's more of a J-Mac and Bevo identification. His kicking skills should appeal to Bevo.

Looking at his goal kicking accuracy, is he better off high half back or wing maybe?

Bulldog4life
29-09-2017, 02:18 PM
Looking at his goal kicking accuracy, is he better off high half back or wing maybe?

He has kicked 44 goals-36 behinds in his career

Twodogs
29-09-2017, 02:27 PM
Can we take/do we need Croozier and Devon Smith? I've seen a few trade equations with Devon Smith in them that I like the look of, which probably means they are hopelessly weighted toward us. But anyway do we need to bring two small defensive forwards on the list?

bulldogtragic
29-09-2017, 02:32 PM

I was going of 13.17 this year as above. The question remains what's the role that's best for him and also the side, being he's played a few different roles.

Bulldog4life
29-09-2017, 02:34 PM
I was going of 13.17 this year as above. The question remains what's the role that's best for him and also the side, being he's played a few different roles.

He fits Bevo's mantra that he can play in more than one position. It will be interesting to see where he lines up initially.

GVGjr
29-09-2017, 03:23 PM
I don't believe there is anything wrong with his kicking but with a slight improvement if would make a lot of difference.
You could be right and he is seen more as a winger or defender for us

There might be a difference with his goal kicking when he is out if space and not a pressured forward.
80 shots in 69 games. He can certainly get into the right spaces.

GVGjr
29-09-2017, 03:24 PM

Yep this year he mainly played forward, previously more in the midfield and across half back

bornadog
29-09-2017, 03:31 PM
Yep this year he mainly played forward, previously more in the midfield and across half back

Bevo probably thinking Dickson replacement.

bornadog
29-09-2017, 03:37 PM
#whispers spotted Aaron Hall around Melbourne today. Meeting w/ MGMT + set to request a return to VIC.

Carlton said to be most keen #AFL

Should we be talking to him?

GVGjr
29-09-2017, 03:38 PM
Bevo probably thinking Dickson replacement.

Dickson or Smith I would have thought.

bulldogtragic
29-09-2017, 04:21 PM
#whispers spotted Aaron Hall around Melbourne today. Meeting w/ MGMT + set to request a return to VIC.

Carlton said to be most keen #AFL

Should we be talking to him?

Right price. Bundle him with Saad.

Rocket Science
29-09-2017, 05:56 PM
There's a little of Giansiracusa's wiliness about Crozier.

bornadog
29-09-2017, 06:18 PM
Does this bloke just make things up?

AFL Trade Whisperer‏ @AFLTradeWhisper
Following
More
#whispers Saints have sounded out the management of Luke Dahlhaus to gauge interest in joining the club in 2018.

And that's not all...#AFL

Twodogs
29-09-2017, 06:24 PM
Does this bloke just make things up?

Obviously he does.

bornadog
29-09-2017, 06:26 PM
Obviously he does.

Wallet had a go at him for getting so many wrong last year. I hope there is no truth in the Dahl one.

bulldogtragic
29-09-2017, 07:33 PM
Wallet had a go at him for getting so many wrong last year. I hope there is no truth in the Dahl one.

Got a heap wrong. I was interested in the account for a little while, but a lot of sometimes very long, complex nothing's. I take no stock in it.

If they want to grossly overpay for Dahl, and he wants out, then we can have a discussion.

Happy Days
29-09-2017, 09:44 PM
I don't love the idea of trading Dahl, but *if* the Saints are interested (they aren't) and if his management has been sounded out (they haven't been) and they offer 7/8 (they wouldn't), then what would we do?

bulldogtragic
29-09-2017, 09:46 PM
I don't love the idea of trading Dahl, but *if* the Saints are interested (they aren't) and if his management has been sounded out (they haven't been) and they offer 7/8 (they wouldn't), then what would we do?

Take it (not that it's on offer).

ledge
29-09-2017, 11:33 PM
Dahl was one of the players who kept it together this year , I don't see why we would trade him.

ledge
29-09-2017, 11:35 PM
Him and libber are great mates and Libber is ( from all reports) coming back bigger and better than ever next year.
Load of rot that whisper I would think.

Sedat
30-09-2017, 12:19 AM
Dahl was one of the players who kept it together this year , I don't see why we would trade him.
He was poor this year IMO. Others were poorer and have hogged the limelight but Dahl was a fair way short of his best in 2017.

GVGjr
02-10-2017, 08:54 AM
Trade Radio (Yes they are back) have mentioned that Sydney have a strong interest in Jack Watts and a 2nd round pick might get it done.
If so I think that means Kurt Tippett would be on the market

Rocket Science
02-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Trade Radio (Yes they are back) have mentioned that Sydney have a strong interest in Jack Watts and a 2nd round pick might get it done. If so I think that means Kurt Tippett would be on the market

7am: The Early Trade with Kane Cornes and Matthew Lloyd
9.30am: Trade Mornings with Dwayne Russell and Adam Cooney
11.30am: Trade News with Matt Thompson
12pm: Agent's Hour with Callum Twomey, Jimmy Bartel and Tristan Foenander
1pm: Trade Feed Hour with Callum Twomey, Jimmy Bartel and Tristan Foenander
2pm: The Late Trade with Damian Barrett and Terry Wallace
5pm: The Late Wrap with Jack Heverin

Eternal respect to anyone who can cop more than 5 minutes of 'Trade Mornings'.

Twodogs
02-10-2017, 10:39 AM
Whi is Jack Heverin? I know all the other names.

GVGjr
02-10-2017, 10:47 AM
Whi is Jack Heverin? I know all the other names.

He's been on EON Sports Radio for a while, He's part of the Croc Media team

Twodogs
02-10-2017, 10:56 AM
He's been on EON Sports Radio for a while, He's part of the Croc Media team

Thanks.

Where has EON sports radio gone? I can't find it on my DAB radio.

GVGjr
02-10-2017, 10:58 AM
Thanks.

Where has EON sports radio gone? I can't find it on my DAB radio.

They went off air in May I think when a liquidator was appointed. Some talk they will come back in the future

Go_Dogs
02-10-2017, 11:04 AM
Hodge to Brisbane to be finalised quickly according to David Noble.

bulldogtragic
02-10-2017, 11:33 AM
Hodge to Brisbane to be finalised quickly according to David Noble.

Good for them.

Axe Man
02-10-2017, 11:35 AM
Heath Shaw has been asked to consider his playing future by GWS.

Edit: Apparently Shaw rumour is untrue however Mumford could retire despite being contracted for next year.

Rocket Science
02-10-2017, 12:03 PM

Edit: Apparently Shaw rumour is untrue however Mumford could retire despite being contracted for next year.

Deeply disappointing if they don't persist with these two for another year.

Then again, it'll be nice not to endure Bruce saying "Mummy" again.

jazzadogs
02-10-2017, 07:33 PM

Within a few hours GWS released a statement that he has signed an extension. Paired with the Dahlhaus rumours is just another reminder not to listen to a word they say.

azabob
02-10-2017, 07:40 PM

Shaw has been asked to try and re-discover his passion and drive for the game.

jazzadogs
02-10-2017, 07:54 PM
Does Paddy Ryder being arrested (with allegations that he struck a police officer) impact Ports strategy at all? With Trengove coming to us I wonder if they would take Campbell as a back up ruck?

bulldogtragic
02-10-2017, 07:57 PM
Does Paddy Ryder being arrested (with allegations that he struck a police officer) impact Ports strategy at all? With Trengove coming to us I wonder if they would take Campbell as a back up ruck?

Can't imagine so. Trengove as a free agent means they'd trade for Campbell. I don't think he's worth all that much, unless we are seriously after Impey in a trade and we can use a lower pick plus Campbell.

jazzadogs
02-10-2017, 10:34 PM
Can't imagine so. Trengove as a free agent means they'd trade for Campbell. I don't think he's worth all that much, unless we are seriously after Impey in a trade and we can use a lower pick plus Campbell.

It wasn't super clear in my initial post, but Campbell being involved in a trade for Impey was what I was alluding to. Well aware that Trengove is a free agent.

The Ryder issue doesn't seem to be getting the coverage that it might deserve. There was a tweet from someone at the pub saying (paraphrase) "I just saw Paddy Ryder punch a cop. He can say goodbye to his career". If the allegations are accurate, what penalty does that carry?

bulldogtragic
02-10-2017, 10:41 PM
It wasn't super clear in my initial post, but Campbell being involved in a trade for Impey was what I was alluding to. Well aware that Trengove is a free agent.

The Ryder issue doesn't seem to be getting the coverage that it might deserve. There was a tweet from someone at the pub saying (paraphrase) "I just saw Paddy Ryder punch a cop. He can say goodbye to his career". If the allegations are accurate, what penalty does that carry?

Slap on the wrist, unless the copper is very badly hurt. The money for good lawyers, the very best criminal defence barristers, character witnesses from all over the country, connections inside over there and so on.

Agree on the Campbell trade. I think he should try elsewhere, especially if he's the steak knives that seals us a deal.

jazzadogs
02-10-2017, 10:45 PM
Slap on the wrist, unless the copper is very badly hurt. The money for good lawyers, the very best criminal defence barristers, character witnesses from all over the country, connections inside over there and so on.

Agree on the Campbell trade. I think he should try elsewhere, especially if he's the steak knives that seals us a deal.

Ah right. I thought it would be a set penalty for any assault of a cop. Good news for Paddy and Port then.

With Trengove arriving, I think he becomes our fourth ruck option (Roughead, English, Boyd and Trengove) meaning that Campbell is absolutely surplus to requirements. I can't really see who would want Campbell though, that's his biggest problem - would the Giants want him with Mumford potentially retiring?

Topdog
02-10-2017, 10:53 PM

On the radio earlier today they were saying Paddy was trying to separate people fighting and wasnt actually fighting or trying to do anything to the police.

bulldogtragic
02-10-2017, 11:03 PM
Ah right. I thought it would be a set penalty for any assault of a cop. Good news for Paddy and Port then.

With Trengove arriving, I think he becomes our fourth ruck option (Roughead, English, Boyd and Trengove) meaning that Campbell is absolutely surplus to requirements. I can't really see who would want Campbell though, that's his biggest problem - would the Giants want him with Mumford potentially retiring?

GWS might, but I can't see us getting anything of substance. But maybe the list spot opening up is enough?

1eyedog
02-10-2017, 11:19 PM

The club should sack him if true.

Twodogs
02-10-2017, 11:31 PM
They went off air in May I think when a liquidator was appointed. Some talk they will come back in the future

Bollocks. They browdcast Five Live from Britain overnights and they had a lot of live EPL.

Sedat
03-10-2017, 12:11 AM

They have Lobbe as the emergency break glass option, who is a better player than Campbell.

Dry Rot
03-10-2017, 12:48 AM
Trade Radio (Yes they are back) have mentioned that Sydney have a strong interest in Jack Watts and a 2nd round pick might get it done.
If so I think that means Kurt Tippett would be on the market

Would we be interested in either of them?

Remi Moses
03-10-2017, 10:42 AM
Other clubs trade activity
Everyone's going to Carlton

ledge
03-10-2017, 11:26 AM
Other clubs trade activity
Everyone's going to Carlton

And Gibbs isn't going anywhere I think they will have about 60 players on the main list by the start of 2018 and no mention of the salary cap, unlike us we lose a captain and a Brownlow medallist and sign one player and Our salary cap is not enough.

Throughandthrough
03-10-2017, 12:13 PM
They have Lobbe as the emergency break glass option, who is a better player than Campbell.

No he isn't. I've watched Lobbe closely three times in the SANFL this year and he was very ordinary (and soft as butter)

And with Ryder possibly unavailable now...

bulldogtragic
03-10-2017, 04:22 PM
Watts likely headed to Sydney
Lever nominates Melbourne
Kane Cornes says if a Melbourne club put a big offer to Rory Sloane, he might take it up
GCS demand a best 22 player for GAJ
Carlton deny interest in Gryphone

Dry Rot
03-10-2017, 04:37 PM
If we should get pick #11 for Stringer, and if the Crows should want two 2017 first rounders for Lever, would you trade our then pick #11 for the Dees 2018 first rounder?

Happy Days
03-10-2017, 04:41 PM
If we should get pick #11 for Stringer, and if the Crows should want two 2017 first rounders for Lever, would you trade our then pick #11 for the Dees 2018 first rounder?

Why would we do that? It's pretty likely they improve on this year's result, where they ended up with pick 10. Seems like a low-reward, high-risk route to take.

Remi Moses
03-10-2017, 04:42 PM
And Gibbs isn't going anywhere I think they will have about 60 players on the main list by the start of 2018 and no mention of the salary cap, unlike us we lose a captain and a Brownlow medallist and sign one player and Our salary cap is not enough.

I'll get it right
Every GWS reserves player is going to Carlton

Axe Man
03-10-2017, 04:44 PM
Lever has formally asked the Crows for a trade to a Melbourne based club, no club nominated as yet.

GVGjr
03-10-2017, 04:44 PM

If you assume the Dees will have a better season next year they would be better offering their 1st pick this year and next.
In your scenario we could be giving up pick 11 this year for pick 14 next year. It's a marginal call with a slight upside given next years draft should have a bit more top end talent. Essendon parting with pick 11 and us not giving something back is very unlikely.

Dry Rot
03-10-2017, 04:45 PM
Why would we do that? It's pretty likely they improve on this year's result, where they ended up with pick 10. Seems like a low-reward, high-risk route to take.

Lets say the Dees finish 6th next year, then we would be trading pick #11 in a poor draft for pick#13 in a hot draft.

GVGjr
03-10-2017, 04:46 PM
Lets say the Dees finish 6th next year, then we would be trading pick #11 in a poor draft for pick#13 in a hot draft.

I don't agree with your poor draft rating. One is regarded as a super draft.

Dry Rot
03-10-2017, 04:46 PM
If you assume the Dees will have a better season next year they would be better offering their 1st pick this year and next.
In your scenario we could be giving up pick 11 this year for pick 14 next year. It's a marginal call with a slight upside given next years draft should have a bit more top end talent. Essendon parting with pick 11 and us not giving something back is very unlikely.

I suppose it is based on a lot better draft next year, and IF the Crows should want two 2017 first round picks.

Just a thought.

Dry Rot
03-10-2017, 04:47 PM
I don't agree with your poor draft rating. One is regarded as a super draft.

OK then an OK draft vs a super draft.

GVGjr
03-10-2017, 04:50 PM
I suppose it is based on a lot better draft next year, and IF the Crows should want two 2017 first round picks.

Just a thought.

If we are only having two live picks this year we could probably run the same scenario with pick 9 instead of 11.
We would essentially be loading up for next year.

Mind you, if the Dees want Lever badly they might as well offer this year and next years pick themselves

Dry Rot
03-10-2017, 04:55 PM
If we are only having two live picks this year we could probably run the same scenario with pick 9 instead of 11.
We would essentially be loading up for next year.

Mind you, if the Dees want Lever badly they might as well offer this year and next years pick themselves

What do the Dees do if the Crows insist on two 2017 first round picks?

GVGjr
03-10-2017, 04:57 PM
What do the Dees do if the Crows insist on two 2017 first round picks?

They won't, they want this years and next. They don't need to make it that much more difficult and they will be looking to get it done

bulldogtragic
03-10-2017, 05:41 PM
Watts likely headed to Sydney
Lever nominates Melbourne
Kane Cornes says if a Melbourne club put a big offer to Rory Sloane, he might take it up
GCS demand a best 22 player for GAJ
Carlton deny interest in Gryphone

Kennedy wants Carlton
Carlton to offer Rockliff a contract
Carlton want Devon Smith

I reckon Schache might be one to watch. The language around him isn't quite as strong as it could be.

GVGjr
03-10-2017, 06:14 PM
You have to admire the dedication of Jack Watts, he probably knows he go but he is saying all the right things in an effort to stay.

Reading between the lines he doesn't appear to fit into the coaches plans for 2018

comrade
03-10-2017, 06:48 PM
Did I read that Rory Sloane was possibly gettable?

bulldogtragic
03-10-2017, 06:56 PM

According to Kane Cornes.

Doc26
03-10-2017, 06:59 PM

No, it's only noise from Trade Radio, who by the end of the trade period will have named every player as a possible trade.

It's only interesting radio if you can acknowledge that it sits in the non fiction fantasy genre with Barrrett playing Voldemort.

Sloane was mentioned simply because he becomes a FA end of next year. It's just filler.

comrade
03-10-2017, 07:24 PM
No, it's only noise from Trade Radio, who by the end of the trade period will have named every player as a possible trade.

It's only interesting radio if you can acknowledge that it sits in the non fiction fantasy genre with Barrrett playing Voldemort.

Sloane was mentioned simply because he becomes a FA end of next year. It's just filler.

I thought so. If he was gettable, you'd hope JMac was throwing the kitchen sink at him.

anfo27
03-10-2017, 07:29 PM

There was a rumour floating around that Rory's wife has gotten a job with channel 7 in Melbourne.

GVGjr
03-10-2017, 07:38 PM
There was a rumour floating around that Rory's wife has gotten a job with channel 7 in Melbourne.

Tim Watson was asked that yesterday and said she had done work with CH7. Didn't quite confirm it or squash it from memory.

Happy Days
03-10-2017, 07:46 PM
If Sloane is gettable then you'd think we'd have to beat the likely Saints offer of 7 & 8. I don't know how we can do that.

Go_Dogs
03-10-2017, 07:59 PM
I thought so. If he was gettable, you'd hope JMac was throwing the kitchen sink at him.

If there's a chance he leaves as a FA next year, then the Crows may consider an offer this year.

I hope we are looking into it - he'd be perfect for us (he'd be perfect for everyone).

Sedat
03-10-2017, 08:20 PM
Rockliff has nominated Port.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2017, 08:25 PM

Port not going to get any compo for Trengove. Unless they play funny buggers with us.

Axe Man
04-10-2017, 10:16 AM
Fremantle could make a play for Geelong free agent Daniel Menzel, while the Lions appear almost certain to add forgotten Port big man Matthew Lobbe to their list.

Stef Martin on the way out if the Lions are chasing Lobbe? Wonder if we are sniffing around there? Haven't heard anything about Martin for a while now after it was rumoured he wanted to return to Victoria.

GVGjr
04-10-2017, 10:26 AM
Stef Martin on the way out if the Lions are chasing Lobbe? Wonder if we are sniffing around there? Haven't heard anything about Martin for a while now after it was rumoured he wanted to return to Victoria.

The were pretty decisive yesterday saying he wouldn't be leaving but you never know.
Would Campbell be a better prospect for the Lions than Lobbe?

Axe Man
04-10-2017, 10:38 AM
The were pretty decisive yesterday saying he wouldn't be leaving but you never know.
Would Campbell be a better prospect for the Lions than Lobbe?

Strange because when the Lions played Archie Smith this year it usually made a big dint in Martin's numbers. Seems to be better off as a sole ruckman with support from a part-timer. Lobbe can't do anything other than ruck so I'm not sure what the Lions plan would be for Martin, Lobbe and Smith?

Rocket Science
04-10-2017, 10:43 AM
There's a suggestion if Lobbe ends up heading north it'll be as a return-favour to Port for ensuring Rockliffe's departure achieves a certain compensation band for Brissy, and may have no bearing on the Martin speculation.

Twodogs
04-10-2017, 10:50 AM
There's a suggestion if Lobbe ends up heading north it'll be as a return-favour to Port for ensuring Rockliffe's departure achieves a certain compensation band for Brissy, and may have no bearing on the Martin speculation.

If the AFL think they are manipulating the band's they will just give Brisbane the lowest.

Rocket Science
04-10-2017, 11:04 AM
If the AFL think they are manipulating the band's they will just give Brisbane the lowest.

And so they should. If Martin stays in Brisbane I'll be fascinated to see how many games Lobbe plays...in the NEAFL.

Throughandthrough
04-10-2017, 11:31 AM
Kane Cornes and Rory Sloane run a business together.

Mofra
04-10-2017, 11:39 AM
Brisbane need all the help they can get and expansion into Queensland is a core AFL strategy. Brisbane will get well looked after. There's a reason the compensation formula is "secret".

anfo27
04-10-2017, 11:44 AM

I've heard Rocky chose Port because in his meeting with SOS it was made clear to him that part of the requirement to play for the blues was having to spend his first year at the Giants.

Twodogs
04-10-2017, 05:23 PM
Brisbane need all the help they can get and expansion into Queensland is a core AFL strategy. Brisbane will get well looked after. There's a reason the compensation formula is "secret".

That's a good point.

I've heard Rocky chose Port because in his meeting with SOS it was made clear to him that part of the requirement to play for the blues was having to spend his first year at the Giants.

Yep failed the selection criteria.

bulldogtragic
05-10-2017, 02:34 PM
St Kilda have contracted Gaffs management. Apparently no desire to return, despite media murmurs.

GVGjr
05-10-2017, 05:51 PM
It's being speculated that Kurt Tippett with follow Stuart Dew up to the Gold Coast. This might open up some opportunities to get some deals done.

It could mean a 3 way trade with Sydney, Essendon and Gold Coast which may then lead back to a deal with us

Remi Moses
05-10-2017, 06:01 PM
Apparently Stkilda have thrown up a five year deal to prise Tomlinson out of gws.
Still contracted for another year

comrade
05-10-2017, 07:33 PM
It's being speculated that Kurt Tippett with follow Stuart Dew up to the Gold Coast. This might open up some opportunities to get some deals done.

It could mean a 3 way trade with Sydney, Essendon and Gold Coast which may then lead back to a deal with us

Why would Dew take Tippett with him?

GVGjr
05-10-2017, 07:59 PM
Why would Dew take Tippett with him?

It doesn't make a lot of sense given GC are OK for ruckman and already have two key forwards. Perhaps its the Scotty Clayton love of athletic players link

kruder
05-10-2017, 08:20 PM
Is it just me or does Essendon need some serious inside mid talent? They got blown out of the water inside and defensively in the final and they are looking to bring in 3 outside players? Its interesting, it will work well during the season but once you get to the finals basketball isn't allowed...

GVGjr
05-10-2017, 08:53 PM
Is it just me or does Essendon need some serious inside mid talent? They got blown out of the water inside and defensively in the final and they are looking to bring in 3 outside players? Its interesting, it will work well during the season but once you get to the finals basketball isn't allowed...

I think so, they've got enough height and just need midfield grunt

Remi Moses
05-10-2017, 10:08 PM

I agree entirely . Would have thought they need more grunt, as Sydney just bullied them

Twodogs
05-10-2017, 10:33 PM

Yep. It's the conundrum we had with Rocket.. Great regular season team that pumped out wins but fell apart in the pressure of finals footy.

Topdog
05-10-2017, 10:56 PM
Yep. It's the conundrum we had with Rocket.. Great regular season team that pumped out wins but fell apart in the pressure of finals footy.
Made 3 prelims and lost one of them by a kick. Hardly falling apart

Twodogs
05-10-2017, 11:34 PM
Made 3 prelims and lost one of them by a kick. Hardly falling apart

But each time we went into a finals series it seemed like we were just further away from being a good finals team. We'd have pretty good seasons in terms of win/loss then the finals would come and we would struggle with the step up in pace and intensity.

It really struck home to me last year just how important the bottom 4 players in your team are when it comes to finals, they don't have to be stars but they have to serve a purpose. You can't afford to carry players in finals and those teams just always seemed to struggle with those last few.

macca
06-10-2017, 03:43 AM
But each time we went into a finals series it seemed like we were just further away from being a good finals team. We'd have pretty good seasons in terms of win/loss then the finals would come and we would struggle with the step up in pace and intensity.

It really struck home to me last year just how important the bottom 4 players in your team are when it comes to finals, they don't have to be stars but they have to serve a purpose. You can't afford to carry players in finals and those teams just always seemed to struggle with those last few.

If Gia nailed that snap on the left foot against geelong we would been in the Grand final
If the umpires werent so biased towards sainters we would have beaten them in the prelim.

Cant recall which years they were... rather not just toooo painful.

We were in the top 3 for contested footy under Eade

bulldogtragic
06-10-2017, 05:10 PM
Freo have agreed to work out terms with Wilson from GWS and Matera from GCS.

On top of the Hill brothers, Wolters and others, they're going to be very quick in terms of leg speed. Matera more than covers Crozier, so you'd think that'd get done easy and cheaply enough.

Grantysghost
06-10-2017, 05:36 PM
Aaron Francis reportly requested trade back to SA. Might be worked into Smith, Saad, Stringer deals.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2017, 05:39 PM
Aaron Francis reportly requested trade back to SA. Might be worked into Smith, Saad, Stringer deals.

Well if he wants PA, Impey may want us, Stringer wants Essendon. That's a great opportunity for Dodoro to stuff everyone around for the whole trade period.

Doc26
06-10-2017, 05:48 PM
Well if he wants PA, Impey may want us, Stringer wants Essendon. That's a great opportunity for Dodoro to stuff everyone around for the whole trade period.

It would open up some broader trade possibilities. It might also explain Dodoro's particular interest in Jake given that he was no doubt aware of the possibility of Francis looking to return home. He did at the time of Francis's recuitment compare him to Jake.

Maybe we can oblige Wingard's desire, sooner rather than later, to join Trengove with a three way deal :cool::p

GVGjr
06-10-2017, 05:51 PM

I think this might be the thing that helps get the deal done, the problem for Dodoro will be accepting that Francis being a former pick 5 (ironically the same pick number we used for Stringer) and a player that hasn't measured up going for about a mid 2nd round pick.

It gives us a lot of ammo to say Dodoro can't be too fussy if Francis is valued about the mid 2nd round when he thinks a premiership and AA player who has also kicked 50 goals in a season should be traded for their pick 28.

The newly rated destination club isn't developing players like they should be.

ratsmac
06-10-2017, 06:07 PM
Haha so true. He'll argue Stringer is mid second round at best while trying to claim a first rounder for their prized top 5 pick Francis. Pick 11 it is then.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2017, 09:16 PM
Balic from Freo passed a Melbourne FC medical today. Freo are going to be flat out!

Go_Dogs
06-10-2017, 11:57 PM
I think this might be the thing that helps get the deal done, the problem for Dodoro will be accepting that Francis being a former pick 5 (ironically the same pick number we used for Stringer) and a player that hasn't measured up going for about a mid 2nd round pick.

It gives us a lot of ammo to say Dodoro can't be too fussy if Francis is valued about the mid 2nd round when he thinks a premiership and AA player who has also kicked 50 goals in a season should be traded for their pick 28.

The newly rated destination club isn't developing players like they should be.

Stringer is worth at least twice what Francis is, so will be interesting to see where the chips fall. Certainly gives us a good indicator of value to use as a point of reference.

GVGjr
07-10-2017, 12:05 AM
Stringer is worth at least twice what Francis is, so will be interesting to see where the chips fall. Certainly gives us a good indicator of value to use as a point of reference.

Based on the way he is valuing Stringer at around pick 28, Francis should be going for a pick in the 50's if not later which of course Dodoro wouldn't allow.

Go_Dogs
07-10-2017, 12:08 AM
Based on the way he is valuing Stringer at around pick 28, Francis should be going for a pick in the 50's if not later which of course Dodoro wouldn't allow.

He'll value Francis as a top 20 selection (as would I if the shoe was on the other foot) so bless Aaron, he's improved our position significantly.

GVGjr
07-10-2017, 12:19 AM
He'll value Francis as a top 20 selection (as would I if the shoe was on the other foot) so bless Aaron, he's improved our position significantly.

I think he has. Dodoro will have a hard time convincing people that Francis is worth anything near Stringer let alone be worth more than him.

GVGjr
08-10-2017, 10:30 AM
Hogan to Fremantle is gaining a lot of momentum today. He is apparently meeting with Fyfe and Lyon and not overly happy with the way Jack Watts is being shopped around.

If true it opens up some possibilities for clubs to get involved.

Go_Dogs
08-10-2017, 10:36 AM
Hogan to Fremantle is gaining a lot of momentum today. He is apparently meeting with Fyfe and Lyon and not overly happy with the way Jack Watts is being shopped around.

Are we at a point now where players run the league?

bulldogtragic
08-10-2017, 10:39 AM

Wow, Hogan, Wilson & Matera. They're going to be stretched to pull all that off, if true.

GVGjr
08-10-2017, 10:39 AM
Are we at a point now where players run the league?

For clubs contracts don't mean much once players decide they want to leave and player managers are great at spinning out reasons to the media why the clubs should help the player along.

It's certainly getting that way and I feel that it needs to be fairer for the clubs.

Remi Moses
08-10-2017, 10:57 AM
There's been murmurings about Hogan for a few years now,and he might get back on compassionate grounds .
I'll be interested how Melbourne handle this, and thinking freo will need to give pick 5 and a future pick .

comrade
08-10-2017, 11:31 AM
I was told a few weeks ago that a well known Melbourne player let slip at a local footy GF (after a few cans) that Hogan was going back to WA this year. Took it with a grain of salt at the time (and still do) but maybe there is something to it.

ledge
08-10-2017, 12:05 PM
For clubs contracts don't mean much once players decide they want to leave and player managers are great at spinning out reasons to the media why the clubs should help the player along.

It's certainly getting that way and I feel that it needs to be fairer for the clubs.

It's a lot like the EPL you have them contracted as insurance to get a better deal when trading them . That's what it comes down to.
It's kind of protection for the player and the club . The player will get offered overs and so will the club to get him out.

chef
08-10-2017, 12:09 PM
Maybe it's time we followed other sports and players should get traded to who ever the clubs want, not who the players want.

Players would probably sook and strike though.

GVGjr
08-10-2017, 12:25 PM
Maybe it's time we followed other sports and players should get traded to who ever the clubs want, not who the players want.

Players would probably sook and strike though.

There is basically 2 clubs in each state so from my perspective players shouldn't be able to nominate clubs to be traded to.
If they want to go home then the club should be able to trade with the club that has the best deal on offer from that state.
If a player wants the security of contracts but then wants to break them then they must lose a bit of control and given something back to the club who has that contract in place.

bornadog
08-10-2017, 04:29 PM
We seemingly started all this breaking contracts business when we got Tommy Boyd. The reasons given like homesick, or my father is dying are all bullshit.

The AFL has to be careful the trend of breaking contracts doesn't become an excuse for a free for all like the EPL. Thank god there is still a salary cap.

bulldogtragic
08-10-2017, 04:31 PM
We seemingly started all this breaking contracts business when we got Tommy Boyd. The reasons given like homesick, or my father is dying are all bullshit.

The AFL has to be careful the trend of breaking contracts doesn't become an excuse for a free for all like the EPL. Thank god there is still a salary cap.

I'd argue GWS started it with Gryphone breaking his contract earlier.

Hogan apparently staying at Melbourne according to Hogan this arvo.

Rocco Jones
08-10-2017, 04:51 PM
It has to be two-way. If players can nominate clubs, then clubs should be able to trade them wherever they like. If a player is good enough/happy to sacrifice something else in their contract than they can opt for a no trade clause.

hujsh
08-10-2017, 05:40 PM
It has to be two-way. If players can nominate clubs, then clubs should be able to trade them wherever they like. If a player is good enough/happy to sacrifice something else in their contract than they can opt for a no trade clause.
I don't like the idea of making players go to other states unwillingly though.

Maybe players can be traded but if it requires them/their family to relocate it needs their permission. If they agree to move to a particular state any club within that state is then fair to deal with.

Rocco Jones
08-10-2017, 05:48 PM

Maybe players can be traded but if it requires them/their family to relocate it needs their permission. If they agree to move to a particular state any club within that state is then fair to deal with.

I guess that's something that can be part of the contract as well. Can be traded to any club within said state. The demanding to be traded to one club thing needs to stop.

bulldogtragic
08-10-2017, 05:59 PM
I guess that's something that can be part of the contract as well. Can be traded to any club within said state. The demanding to be traded to one club thing needs to stop.

I'm not sure that would change that much as I think the SA & WA clubs love it in particular. That is to say, neither team rarely (perhaps never at all) gets in a bidding war with the other. Almost as if they're working it together behind the scenes to ensure the trade value is as cheap as they can get it, there was seemingly no competition for Hamling, Yeo, McCarthy, Bennell etc. Recent prices theyve acquired players for dirt cheap.

I'm not sure what the answer is. But the players seemingly want all the perks of models round the world, but don't want the obligations in the same models to move them.

GVGjr
08-10-2017, 06:11 PM

You've just destroyed the whole draft process :)

That's why I think you can nominate a state not a club if you want to break your contract.

bulldogtragic
08-10-2017, 06:31 PM

That's why I think you can nominate a state not a club if you want to break your contract.

Outside of Victoria, it's in the interests of both clubs to conspire and divvy up talent. They do it already, some quite well. That would potentially put Victorian clubs at a disadvantage in both incoming and outgoing trades.

GVGjr
08-10-2017, 06:42 PM
Outside of Victoria, it's in the interests of both clubs to conspire and divvy up talent. They do it already, some quite well. That would potentially put Victorian clubs at a disadvantage in both incoming and outgoing trades.

If clubs do that then you don't break the contract and keep them but players can't nominate Victoria with the proviso that it has to be Essendon if they want to break their contract. It's Victoria nothing else.

bornadog
08-10-2017, 07:22 PM
You've just destroyed the whole draft process :).

If you don't want the risk of being drafted to another state, don't play AFL - stick to the local state league.

There should be a longer minimum too of leaving a club - once drafted 3 years should be mandatory.

GVGjr
08-10-2017, 07:52 PM
If you don't want the risk of being drafted to another state, don't play AFL - stick to the local state league.

There should be a longer minimum too of leaving a club - once drafted 3 years should be mandatory.

I think for anyone drafted in the first two round that would be a fair approach

hujsh
08-10-2017, 08:22 PM

Yeah I think when you go into the draft you accept that as a reality. When you sign a contract with a club and are a bit older, potentially have a young settled family I see it as a somewhat different situation.

GVGjr
08-10-2017, 09:09 PM
Yeah I think when you go into the draft you accept that as a reality. When you sign a contract with a club and are a bit older, potentially have a young settled family I see it as a somewhat different situation.

Hasn't that been addressed with the FA option after a period of time and loyalty at a club?
I think it's a bit rich for players to want the security of contracts, sometimes long term deals, but also have the ability to pressure clubs into breaking them the moment they can secure more money elsewhere?

That's one of the primary reasons why Lever is coming home but only to Melbourne because they are offering the coin that the Crows can't. The thing is though that Adelaide shouldn't only have one team to deal with because Lever has been in the system just 3 years and he now has the whip hand in the negotiation. It's very lopsided with the players and that isn't right

hujsh
08-10-2017, 11:01 PM
Hasn't that been addressed with the FA option after a period of time and loyalty at a club?
I think it's a bit rich for players to want the security of contracts, sometimes long term deals, but also have the ability to pressure clubs into breaking them the moment they can secure more money elsewhere?

That's one of the primary reasons why Lever is coming home but only to Melbourne because they are offering the coin that the Crows can't. The thing is though that Adelaide shouldn't only have one team to deal with because Lever has been in the system just 3 years and he now has the whip hand in the negotiation. It's very lopsided with the players and that isn't right

I don't see any real relation. In fact I don't see how free agency addresses my point at all. Do you mean because young players can eventually go home because I'm talking about established players being traded across the country and having to drag their family from state to state.

I think a compromise of some sort between the two extremes would be necessary, hence why I suggested state nomination.

GVGjr
08-10-2017, 11:11 PM
I don't see any real relation. In fact I don't see how free agency addresses my point at all. Do you mean because young players can eventually go home because I'm talking about established players being traded across the country and having to drag their family from state to state.

I think a compromise of some sort between the two extremes would be necessary, hence why I suggested state nomination.

I'm looking at the Jackson Trengove example. After 8 years at the club he's been given the chance to look at other clubs

I don't believe players should just be traded to any club but if they have a contract then they shouldn't be able to nominate just one club as their destination. If a player has a contract and wants to go back to WA for example then his current club can sound out the two clubs there. If a deal can't be struck then the player stays.

That's all that I'm saying

hujsh
09-10-2017, 12:01 AM
I'm looking at the Jackson Trengove example. After 8 years at the club he's been given the chance to look at other clubs

I don't believe players should just be traded to any club but if they have a contract then they shouldn't be able to nominate just one club as their destination. If a player has a contract and wants to go back to WA for example then his current club can sound out the two clubs there. If a deal can't be struck then the player stays.

Oh so we're agreeing with each other. Cool

Twodogs
09-10-2017, 04:03 AM

Oh so we're agreeing with each other. Cool

In fact the two of you are in furious agreement.

bulldogtragic
09-10-2017, 11:03 AM
In fact the two of you are in furious agreement.

Agree.

bornadog
09-10-2017, 04:26 PM
Dwayne claiming Watts to nominate Geelong

Remi Moses
09-10-2017, 05:05 PM
I'd heard Cooney reckons his Bombers should get a top 10 for Francis ! Yet he thinks not a top 10 for Stringer .
This idiot is drawing an income talking this drivel

Bulldog Revolution
09-10-2017, 07:22 PM
I'd heard Cooney reckons his Bombers should get a top 10 for Francis ! Yet he thinks not a top 10 for Stringer .
This idiot is drawing an income talking this drivel

He gets paid to talk

He was always going to have a soft spot for read headed south Australians - and Francis is also an ex teammate

Dons paid his superannuation so he feels some positivity towards them but in time when they have none of his former teammates left he will only think of himself as a dog

GVGjr
09-10-2017, 10:24 PM
News about Mitch Honeychurch

GREATER Western Sydney has emerged as a possible suitor for uncontracted Western Bulldog Mitch Honeychurch.

The Bulldogs have held off on making a decision on Honeychurch's future until the end of NAB AFL Trade Period, but the 22-year-old would prefer to make a fresh start at a new club after playing 22 games in four seasons at the Whitten Oval.

Essendon showed some interest in the competitive forward/midfielder earlier this year, but the Bombers will have their hands full this trade period attempting to secure Jake Stringer, Devon Smith and Adam Saad.

The Giants also have higher recruitment priorities, but are understood to be eyeing Honeychurch as a potential acquisition late in the trade period or afterwards if he is delisted by the Bulldogs.

Honeychurch is a hardnosed competitor whose tackling and defensive pressure appeals to the Giants.

Taken at pick No.60 in the 2013 NAB AFL Draft, the Victorian received a NAB AFL Rising Star nomination in 2015. But after playing 11 games that season, including the Bulldogs' elimination final loss to Adelaide, he has played just eight matches since.

In his six senior games in 2017, Honeychurch averaged 14.5 possessions and 5.7 tackles.

His VFL form with Footscray this year was outstanding. He was named in the Bulldogs' best players in six of his eight games and kicked 14 goals.

divvydan
09-10-2017, 10:43 PM
Makes some sense for GWS to look at Honeychurch as an option. For a number of years they've employed a defensively minded small/med forward. Originally it was Palmer, then Sam Reid and more recently de Boer. Additionally, SJ has retired and Smith is leaving, so they're naturally looking for some depth in that small forward role.

ratsmac
09-10-2017, 10:46 PM
News about Mitch Honeychurch

GREATER Western Sydney has emerged as a possible suitor for uncontracted Western Bulldog Mitch Honeychurch.

The Bulldogs have held off on making a decision on Honeychurch's future until the end of NAB AFL Trade Period, but the 22-year-old would prefer to make a fresh start at a new club after playing 22 games in four seasons at the Whitten Oval.

Essendon showed some interest in the competitive forward/midfielder earlier this year, but the Bombers will have their hands full this trade period attempting to secure Jake Stringer, Devon Smith and Adam Saad.

The Giants also have higher recruitment priorities, but are understood to be eyeing Honeychurch as a potential acquisition late in the trade period or afterwards if he is delisted by the Bulldogs.

Honeychurch is a hardnosed competitor whose tackling and defensive pressure appeals to the Giants.

Taken at pick No.60 in the 2013 NAB AFL Draft, the Victorian received a NAB AFL Rising Star nomination in 2015. But after playing 11 games that season, including the Bulldogs' elimination final loss to Adelaide, he has played just eight matches since.

In his six senior games in 2017, Honeychurch averaged 14.5 possessions and 5.7 tackles.

His VFL form with Footscray this year was outstanding. He was named in the Bulldogs' best players in six of his eight games and kicked 14 goals.

Well then, Mitch would have to come into a 3 way deal getting Smith and Stringer to Essendon. Pick 11 to us, Essendon 2nd rounder and Honey to GWS

Dry Rot
10-10-2017, 12:57 AM
I suspect Mitch may play a role in the Freo, GWS, Dogs trades of Mitch, Wilson and Crozier.

Happy Days
10-10-2017, 01:37 AM
I suspect Mitch may play a role in the Freo, GWS, Dogs trades of Mitch, Wilson and Crozier.

HC for Crozier is close enough to right (probably unders from us), but Freo would have to give up a fair bit more to get Wilson - their second at a minimum.

Dry Rot
10-10-2017, 01:50 AM
HC for Crozier is close enough to right (probably unders from us), but Freo would have to give up a fair bit more to get Wilson - their second at a minimum.

Agreed. I didn't put in the actual draft picks. Agree their second at a minimum.

I suppose that would look like:

Dogs lose Honeychurch, gain Crozier

Giants lose Wilson, gain Freo second rounder + Honeychurch

Freo gain Wilson, lose second rounder + Crozier

May need a steak knife in there here and there

ratsmac
10-10-2017, 05:46 AM
Agreed. I didn't put in the actual draft picks. Agree their second at a minimum.

I suppose that would look like:

Dogs lose Honeychurch, gain Crozier

Giants lose Wilson, gain Freo second rounder + Honeychurch

Freo gain Wilson, lose second rounder + Crozier

May need a steak knife in there here and there

Yeah maybe we swap our second rounder with GWS second rounder as well.

Dry Rot
10-10-2017, 11:11 AM
Mumford has retired

Mofra
10-10-2017, 11:14 AM
Does HC actually want to go anywhere, and is any club interested?
I like his attitude and enthusiasm but a player of his height really needs to be a better finisher than he is. Would have had a couple of 2 or 3 goal games this year if his radar was on, not sure it ever will be.

Our third for Crozier seems fair, if it's not needed for other trades I'd throw in our fourth as we're unlikely to use it and Freo will be using quite a few picks this year after losing a number of players.

If we lose Stringer, pick up Crozier, do we look at another mid sizer starved of opportunity? Ben Lennon seems like Stringer with a working zipper on his pants who wouldn't cost much.

Mofra
10-10-2017, 11:16 AM
Mumford has retired
Hmmmm. Leaves them with only three ruck options, two of them very inexperienced (that includes Flynn who is rated highly but yet to debut).

mjp
10-10-2017, 11:37 AM
I don't think Freo have a second round pick - I guess they will be trying to get one for Balic from Melbourne to then use for Wilson?

I would think the Giants want a top 20 for Wilson but I am not sure they will get it.

Happy Days
10-10-2017, 12:13 PM
Hmmmm. Leaves them with only three ruck options, two of them very inexperienced (that includes Flynn who is rated highly but yet to debut).

His body retired at the start of the year, must have taken his brain until now to realise.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2017, 01:10 PM
Port just lodged Rockliff paperwork.

Rocket Science
10-10-2017, 01:59 PM
Day two and trade radio already defaulting to talking about how there are no trades to talk about.

Wheeee.

ledge
10-10-2017, 03:01 PM
Day two and trade radio already defaulting to talking about how there are no trades to talk about.

Wheeee.

That's hilarious we all know it goes a week to long.
They all sit around trying to make all the other teams sweat, wait until the last minute then See if they can get better deals.

Murphy'sLore
10-10-2017, 03:06 PM
Seriously, what is the point of dragging this out for two weeks when most work gets done in the last hour? Waste of everybody's time, if there was an earlier deadline, deals would be done more quickly, simple as that.

Also I hate this sick anxiety about what may or may not happen lasting for a whole fortnight :(

GVGjr
10-10-2017, 03:18 PM
Seriously, what is the point of dragging this out for two weeks when most work gets done in the last hour? Waste of everybody's time, if there was an earlier deadline, deals would be done more quickly, simple as that.

Also I hate this sick anxiety about what may or may not happen lasting for a whole fortnight :(

It's a couple of day too long. I'd think next Tuesday should be the last day.

Ghost Dog
10-10-2017, 04:08 PM
Is it just me or is this not the most boring trade period for a long time....

bulldogsthru&thru
10-10-2017, 04:10 PM
Is it just me or is this not the most boring trade period for a long time....

2014 was extremely boring until.......

The Doctor
10-10-2017, 04:17 PM
When I listen to the List Manager I am very grateful to the Football Gods that he is not our list manager

Happy Days
10-10-2017, 04:23 PM
When I listen to the List Manager I am very grateful to the Football Gods that he is not our list manager

Remember when Richmond had 5 picks inside 20 and only one of them ended up being even remotely good?

He's become that wanker at your footy club that gives himself his own nickname.

GVGjr
10-10-2017, 04:23 PM

Hasn't he done well positioning himself in the media as an expert on the draft and list management before it became fashionable? I quite like Wallace but like you I don't rate him that highly in the list management area.

Rocket Science
10-10-2017, 05:14 PM
Remember when Richmond had 5 picks inside 20 and only one of them ended up being even remotely good?

He's become that wanker at your footy club that gives himself his own nickname.

Amusingly, while speaking with Don Scott - YEP Don Scott - last week for a hot take on the Kennett development, Scott had a derisive crack at Wallace for introducing himself as 'Plough'.

"You're in trouble Terry if you start referring to your nickname!"

azabob
10-10-2017, 09:13 PM
Mumford has retired

I don’t think he actually has yet.

Remi Moses
10-10-2017, 09:53 PM
Amusingly, while speaking with Don Scott - YEP Don Scott - last week for a hot take on the Kennett development, Scott had a derisive crack at Wallace for introducing himself as 'Plough'.

"You're in trouble Terry if you start referring to your nickname!"

Couldn't have agreed more with Scott on what he said about Kennett

hujsh
11-10-2017, 02:39 PM
Trade tracker resorting to Brendan Fevola news now.

It's a bleak time of year

Ghost Dog
11-10-2017, 02:51 PM

Come on, give a bloke a chance to pay off his gambling debts and maintenance payments will ya?

Rocket Science
11-10-2017, 03:04 PM

Don't forget the Bartel out of retirement bombshell too.

comrade
11-10-2017, 06:45 PM
Come on, give a bloke a chance to pay off his gambling debts and maintenance payments will ya?

Isn't that what Essendon are trying to do for Jake? ;)

Ghost Dog
11-10-2017, 08:21 PM
Isn't that what Essendon are trying to do for Jake? ;)

Haha well played sir. Yes I can imagine Essendon will quietly clean up a few messes if Jake gets there.

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 08:54 AM
There is some speculation that Stef Martin is available for the right offer.
Could that potentially provide a home for Tom Campbell?

1eyedog
12-10-2017, 09:57 AM
There is some speculation that Stef Martin is available for the right offer.
Could that potentially provide a home for Tom Campbell?

If we could get Stef Martin it pretty much shores up our key defensive posts for the next couple of years and provides the flexibility of actually playing them there for large chunks of the year to assist development i.e. Boyd, Roughie if we are so inclined.

Roughie's marking has really come on the last two years as he gains strength I'm open to him playing forward.

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 10:00 AM
If we could get Stef Martin it pretty much shores up our key defensive posts for the next couple of years and provides the flexibility of actually playing them there for large chunks of the year to assist development i.e. Boyd, Roughie if we are so inclined.

Roughie's marking has really come on the last two years as he gains strength I'm open to him playing forward.

Roughie is a terrible kick for goal though. If he was just a bit better kick I think he could be used forward more.

1eyedog
12-10-2017, 10:12 AM
Roughie is a terrible kick for goal though. If he was just a bit better kick I think he could be used forward more.

I agree it needs some work but he kicked some critical goals for us in the finals last year. With Trengove coming in and if we did land Martin where do you see Roughie playing next year?

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 10:24 AM
I agree it needs some work but he kicked some critical goals for us in the finals last year. With Trengove coming in and if we did land Martin where do you see Roughie playing next year?

As much as I like Roughead I'd struggle to find a spot for him in that scenario.
Martin can ruck more game time than Roughead and seems to thrive on it. Boyd would play forward more if Martin was the #1 ruckman so is there really a spot for Roughead in the forward line?

hujsh
12-10-2017, 10:50 AM
Roughead can take some good marks, yes but has he shown many signs of possessing any real forward craft?

Just seems a bit Minson 2.0.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-10-2017, 11:26 AM
Could Roughead play FF or CHF and provide ruck relief (if we got Martin)?

He does leap at the ball and take a good mark. Rarely ever out-marked - which is arguably more important. Obviously questions over his ability to apply pressure.

Today's game is as much about bringing the ball to the ground to create opportunities for your smalls/lock the ball in your forward half, as it is actually taking the grab.

Roughy was poor this year but I am not writing him off just yet. As a forward, he would be better than Minson.

westdog54
12-10-2017, 11:35 AM
Lever trade complete:

Melbourne gets Lever, Pick 35 and Adelaide's 3rd Round 2018 Pick
Adelaide gets Pick 10, Plus Melbourne's 1st and 4th round 2018 picks.

I think Melbourne have done reasonably well. Moreso if they play finals next year and push down their draft position.

Mantis
12-10-2017, 11:35 AM
Could Roughead play FF or CHF and provide ruck relief (if we got Martin)?

He does leap at the ball and take a good mark. Rarely ever out-marked - which is arguably more important. Obviously questions over his ability to apply pressure.

Today's game is as much about bringing the ball to the ground to create opportunities for your smalls/lock the ball in your forward half, as it is actually taking the grab.

Roughy was poor this year but I am not writing him off just yet. As a forward, he would be better than Minson.

What do you do with Boyd?

The Bulldogs Bite
12-10-2017, 11:46 AM
What do you do with Boyd?

I think Boyd has to be our FF/CHF next year - so in this scenario I would be playing both as forwards which on paper looks troublesome given their exposed form/mobility, but if we surround them with high pressure players (Dahlhaus, Crozier, Dickson/Clay if fit) it could work.

If we don't surround them with high pressure players or Dickson/Clay churn out another year like 2017, then we cannot play two talls in our forward half.

Boyd and Roughy won't 'scare' opposition but if they can bring their best then they simply won't be out-marked and they will be predictable to our teammates, bringing the ball to the ground for the smalls. It highlights how important it is for us to recruit high pressure smalls, or get Clay/Dickson fit again.

One of our biggest issues is that we have been so easily out-marked or intercepted, and thus rebounded against. Redpath is aggressive but he's routinely out-marked by quality opponents. Even Cloke is too often out-marked. I'd have Boyd/Roughy far ahead of Redpath/Cloke and it helps that both are flexible in that they can play multiple positions on the ground.

craigsahibee
12-10-2017, 11:53 AM
Devon Smith to Essendon for Pick 11.

Jake would be a bit confused right now. If we stick to our guns someone else in Melbourne has to woo Jake. Kangaroos a possibility? Cashed up and have that Top 10 pick that we crave.

DOG GOD
12-10-2017, 12:03 PM
Kangas are like the trade minnows...normally pay overs for players, so I'm still hopeful now that bombers are gone that north will feel the pressure to nap stringer and part with pick 4 ;) cmon north, I know you want too.

LostDoggy
12-10-2017, 02:54 PM
Kangas are like the trade minnows...normally pay overs for players, so I'm still hopeful now that bombers are gone that north will feel the pressure to nap stringer and part with pick 4 ;) cmon north, I know you want too.There's no way North straight trade 4 for Stringer, but he must be very tempting for them from a marketing/selling hope point of view, and they'd have plenty of salary cap space. I wonder what we'd be prepared to offer along with Stringer to get 4?

Happy Days
12-10-2017, 03:01 PM
There's no way North straight trade 4 for Stringer, but he must be very tempting for them from a marketing/selling hope point of view, and they'd have plenty of salary cap space. I wonder what we'd be prepared to offer along with Stringer to get 4?

I'd give them 26 as well.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-10-2017, 03:08 PM
There's no way North straight trade 4 for Stringer, but he must be very tempting for them from a marketing/selling hope point of view, and they'd have plenty of salary cap space. I wonder what we'd be prepared to offer along with Stringer to get 4?

Maybe North, presuming they have interest try and trade down and then come to us with a deal?

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 03:17 PM
I'd give them 26 as well.

So Pick 27 and Stringer for pick 4? That would value Jake at pick 11 and I don't think North would pay it especially when Essendon have rejected it.

From a points perspective Picks 9, 27 and Stringer for picks 4, 22 and 45 values Stringer about pick 15. Perhaps something they would consider

Happy Days
12-10-2017, 03:43 PM
So Pick 27 and Stringer for pick 4? That would value Jake at pick 11 and I don't think North would pay it especially when Essendon have rejected it.

From a points perspective Picks 9, 27 and Stringer for picks 4, 22 and 45 values Stringer about pick 15. Perhaps something they would consider

I don't think they'd do it either, but I also don't think that we are as definite in offloading him as it is being made to seem. I see no reason why we have to accept anything less than a great deal for us.

Does the valuation of picks using the points system really hold any weight when the picks aren't being used for points? I personally don't think so. I also don't see why Essendon rejecting a particular deal has any bearing on North's decision making.

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 03:55 PM
I don't think they'd do it either, but I also don't think that we are as definite in offloading him as it is being made to seem. I see no reason why we have to accept anything less than a great deal for us.

Does the valuation of picks using the points system really hold any weight when the picks aren't being used for points? I personally don't think so. I also don't see why Essendon rejecting a particular deal has any bearing on North's decision making.

If you can move up the order and have confidence in your recruiting manager then it probably helps but the real benefit is around giving you currency to get another deal done.

You're right sometimes the DVI points are just a bit of footy voodoo

Re North, I think they would like to think they got a better deal than what Essendon rejected but that's just me speculating.

LostDoggy
12-10-2017, 04:03 PM
I reckon Stringer is more attractive to North than Essendon on 3 fronts; they are more in need of forwardline firepower than Essendon, they are more in need of a 'big fish' for marketing reasons and their salary cap would presumably more easily fit in a high paid player.

For these reasons I reckon a deal that equates to somewhere around pick 11 should reasonably be more saleable to North than to Essendon.

Topdog
12-10-2017, 04:18 PM
North don't seem to care about Stringer. No idea why keep talking about them

Happy Days
12-10-2017, 05:32 PM
North don't seem to care about Stringer. No idea why keep talking about them

Probably speaks to our opinion of them.

Remi Moses
13-10-2017, 10:21 AM
Thought the dees bit off a bit to much in the Lever deal , and Essendon got the better of the Smith Deal .
Impey's a bit meh for me .

Topdog
13-10-2017, 10:43 AM
North rep on SEN this morning mentioned that North were looking to strengthen their midfield about 48 times in a 10 minute interview.

I guess we now know why we have heard nothing about Stringer to North

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 03:39 PM
Motlop to Power, 4 years as a FA

BornInDroopSt'54
13-10-2017, 03:43 PM
North rep on SEN this morning mentioned that North were looking to strengthen their midfield about 48 times in a 10 minute interview.

Yet Essendon have told Stringer to get fit over summer so he can play midfield.
Talk about the Dogs and Bevo miscalculating interest in him and now having to take him back is misguided I reckon. It could could be that Bevo and us read the tea leaves ages ago and as a last but well thought out resort, decided to put him on the open market as the ultimate wake up call.
Sure they may have hoped to get good value for him but they must have very seriously considered that we would not get a suitable offer and that would stay with us. The must have calculated that that this would serve as the ultimate wake up call for Jake: nobody wants his troubles so he must have a change of life.
Bevo and the club must have seen this coming. Wake up Jake.

Remi Moses
13-10-2017, 03:48 PM
Motlop to Power, 4 years as a FA

Very inconsistent player. Port making a splash this trade period

Doc26
13-10-2017, 04:42 PM

Funny, heard that interview as well.

It was like the poor guy couldn't find anything creative to say other than "midfield".
It was reminiscent of that motley crue trying to mount a coup for the Richmond board last year when their only response seemed to be "Neil Balme".

macca
14-10-2017, 01:41 AM
Very inconsistent player. Port making a splash this trade period

They are having a crack as they believe their premiership window is open. If they could kick straight they would have beaten WC.

They have a young developing backline that held up reasonably well this year.

Their forward line is a good mix, with wingard, s.gray, r.gray and power forward Dixon

All Australian Ryder.

Its their mids that really lack some class and poise. Good strong body mids with wines, powell-pepper and ebert.

These are all good trades to bring in these types. The question is will they be able to get more consistency from Motlop?

Watts is a waste of talent. Maybe Hinkley can change that around

Remi Moses
14-10-2017, 10:44 AM
They're an older side as well . Need to get there in the next two years,and are in a position Norf were in

ledge
14-10-2017, 11:24 AM
They are having a crack as they believe their premiership window is open. If they could kick straight they would have beaten WC.

Their forward line is a good mix, with wingard, s.gray, r.gray and power forward Dixon

All Australian Ryder.

Its their mids that really lack some class and poise. Good strong body mids with wines, powell-pepper and ebert.

These are all good trades to bring in these types. The question is will they be able to get more consistency from Motlop?

Ryder might not be there next year as the courts don't take well to police assaults ( if true)
Surprised they didn't keep Trengove just in case.

ratsmac
14-10-2017, 11:51 AM

All Australian Ryder.

They are certainly going for broke it would seem. It's probably a flag or bust isn't it.

The "premiership window" is turning out to be a furphy with the last two winners. Us and the tigers just took the chance when it popped up. The premiership window mentality is a trap. This year make the finals, hopefully win one. Next year a prelim, stuff that, make the finals and try win the flag seems the way to go. That's where list management is the key to always being there abouts like Sydney. You gotta be in it to win it. I think Port will be well placed with these moves to make a tilt for the flag next year.

Ghost Dog
14-10-2017, 01:16 PM
Ryder might not be there next year as the courts don't take well to police assaults ( if true)

Good point.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2017, 01:19 PM
Wasn't there 10 suns players on the table.

1. Ablett
2. Saad
3. Matera
4. Hall?
5. Thompson?
6. McKenzie?

Anything worth sling for?

Topdog
14-10-2017, 01:59 PM

Has he been accused of police assault? Story was that he was trying to break things up

Grantysghost
14-10-2017, 04:10 PM
Geelong will be compensated with pick 19 (end of first rd) for Motlop.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2017, 04:11 PM
Geelong will be compensated with pick 19 (end of first rd) for Motlop.

Official?

Grantysghost
14-10-2017, 04:19 PM
Official?

Patrick Keane from AFL tweeted it so yep.

https://twitter.com/AFL_PKeane/status/919048335918473217