PDA

View Full Version : The Marcus Bontempelli Appreciation thread

hujsh
30-09-2017, 01:06 PM
So with everything that's happened around another individual that shall not be named I've been thinking a bit about just how lucky we are with Marcus. A year younger than the other one, ambassador for The Line of his own initiative, jumped ahead of more mature players in the leadership group order to the point that it's tempting to make him captain, an incredible consistent and influential player and he seems to do a very good job of handling the pressure and the fame side of the game.

He basically ticks all the boxes of what you want an AFL player to be. Does he have any faults? Is he perfect?

Let's take some time this Grand Final day to appreciate our Marcus Picken Bontempelli

Bulldog4life
30-09-2017, 01:24 PM
Good post Hjush. When feeling down just think of the Bont. A star on and off the field. We are very lucky to have the Bont. Thank you Simon Dal.

ledge
30-09-2017, 01:27 PM
So with everything that's happened around another individual that shall not be named I've been thinking a bit about just how lucky we are with Marcus. A year younger than the other one, ambassador for The Line of his own initiative, jumped ahead of more mature players in the leadership group order to the point that it's tempting to make him captain, an incredible consistent and influential player and he seems to do a very good job of handling the pressure and the fame side of the game.

He basically ticks all the boxes of what you want an AFL player to be. Does he have any faults? Is he perfect?

Let's take some time this Grand Final day to appreciate our Marcus Picken Bontempelli

In answering your two questions, no and yes in that order.

Twodogs
30-09-2017, 01:41 PM
He's already the best I have seen wear our jumper. I can't think of any who were as good as Marcus is at his age though. He will be one of the best mids ever and with his strength overhead and ground skills he will be close to the most dangerous forward in the competition when he goes forward.

I am 100% confident that when he retires he will be considered the greatest player of all time.

ledge
30-09-2017, 01:43 PM
He's already the best I have seen wear our jumper. I can't think of any who were as good as Marcus is at his age though.

I am 100% confident that when he retires he will be considered the greatest player of all time.

You never saw C Grant K Templeton and the hawk at his age ?
Big call

WBFC4FFC
30-09-2017, 02:09 PM

Just needs to be more accurate on Set-Shots. The same weakness at present to Turtle but I am being picky!

The bulldog tragician
30-09-2017, 02:12 PM
All hail The Bont! Just a fabulous role model as well as a magnificent player.

I think our club has been blessed in recent times with people of outstanding character. Bob, Easton, Boyd, Cross, Jonno and Grant have always made us proud off the field as well as on.

Twodogs
30-09-2017, 06:58 PM
You never saw C Grant K Templeton and the hawk at his age ?
Big call

I saw all their careers from start to finish, other than missing KT's first few games. I was standing alongside the goal umpire as he signalled the goal Chris Grant kicked with his first kick in AFL footy. Bont's milestones and stats to this stage of his career are eerily similiar to EJ's.

ledge
30-09-2017, 07:09 PM
I saw all their careers from start to finish, other than missing KT's first few games. I was standing alongside the goal umpire as he signalled the goal Chris Grant kicked with his first kick in AFL footy. Bont's milestones and stats to this stage of his career are eerily similiar to EJ's.
I still think Chris was better in his first few years, remember he was younger and kicked over 50 goals in his first season, skinny and just all class , nothing against Bont he is amazing but Chris was doing it at a younger age.
Also had the big hard (punch you in the head) full backs on him in that era. Playing as a full forward unbelievable.

Eastdog
30-09-2017, 07:23 PM
Great player and person Marcus is. Been a tough 2017 for him but still so important every game and polled well in the Brownlow our highest with 13 votes. Got his signature on my footy at the family day at Whitten Oval in February.

cinder
30-09-2017, 07:41 PM
Likewise. With all the Stringer crap it’s the players with their heads down doing the right thing that are often not acknowledged. Marcus is one of those, in addition to being an outstanding young man, player & leader.

Twodogs
30-09-2017, 09:07 PM
I still think Chris was better in his first few years, remember he was younger and kicked over 50 goals in his first season, skinny and just all class , nothing against Bont he is amazing but Chris was doing it at a younger age.
Also had the big hard (punch you in the head) full backs on him in that era. Playing as a full forward unbelievable.

Yeah true. A 50 goal season as a 17 yo is pretty good but Chris had Glen Coleman standing next to him looking for an excuse to punch someone back. Bont does it all by himself mostly.

Twodogs
01-10-2017, 04:03 PM
God I love the Bont. I wish we had two of him.

SlimPickens
01-10-2017, 04:13 PM
God I love the Bont. I wish we had two of him.

I wish he could kick straight

The bulldog tragician
01-10-2017, 05:00 PM

He can. Last year was an aberration. Before then he frequently nailed clutch goals.

Twodogs
01-10-2017, 05:08 PM

He will. I'd like to be as certain of winning tattslotto as I am that Marcus Bontompelli will be one if the best kicks in the comp over the next couple of years.

Twodogs
18-11-2019, 07:55 PM
Oh dear!!!!! An old tweet from Dan Lonergan surfaced on Twitter today...

Daniel Lonergan
@daniellonergan
ยท Nov 20, 2013
Bulldogs and Simon dalrymple can't afford to take a risk with bontempelli. Pick the next best. Aish.

I hate to take a pong at a bloke for expressing an opinion but thank Christ he wasn't our recruiter!

AshMac
19-11-2019, 09:24 AM

I hate to take a pong at a bloke for expressing an opinion but thank Christ he wasn't our recruiter!

This thread is ageing very very well!

Axe Man
19-11-2019, 10:03 AM
He will. I'd like to be as certain of winning tattslotto as I am that Marcus Bontompelli will be one if the best kicks in the comp over the next couple of years.

Still as certain his goal kicking will come good 2D?

Twodogs
19-11-2019, 10:51 AM
Still as certain his goal kicking will come good 2D?

Oh yeah. The Bont will make a point of it.

merantau
21-11-2019, 07:38 AM
"Bulldogs Premiership Captain, Marcus Bontempelli ..." I like the sound of that.

Twodogs
21-11-2019, 12:44 PM
"Bulldogs Premiership Captain, Marcus Bontempelli ..." I like the sound of that.

There was once a time when I would have happily gone with "Marcus Bontempelli, premiership player" but now we have got one, I want more and "the Bont, Western Bulldogs premiership captain" does sound good.

westdog54
23-11-2019, 11:33 AM

He'll never, ever live that one down.

Happy Days
24-11-2019, 07:13 PM

If the opinion was based in anything other than his belief that "the Bulldogs if given two possible options will always pick the worse one" then maybe you could forgive him somewhat.

Twodogs
24-11-2019, 07:52 PM
If the opinion was based in anything other than his belief that "the Bulldogs if given two possible options will always pick the worse one" then maybe you could forgive him somewhat.

TBH Dan used to give me the shits with his constant criticism of the club on 774 ABC. I was glad to see the back of him.

jeemak
24-11-2019, 09:36 PM
TBH Dan used to give me the shits with his constant criticism of the club on 774 ABC. I was glad to see the back of him.

He was definitely a glass half empty cat on the radio and within his written articles.

bornadog
25-11-2019, 03:00 PM
Happy 24th Birthday Marcus Bontempelli

V/@AFL players with 3 B&Fs before turning 24

Dick Reynolds
Des Fothergill
Ron Clegg
John Kennedy
Kevin Murray
Bob Skilton
John Murphy
Leigh Matthews
Glen Jakovich
James Hird
Scott West
Nick Riewoldt
MARCUS BONTEMPELLI

Grantysghost
13-08-2021, 02:16 PM
Doesn't get more appreciative than this. Ella J (Johnno's daughter) a part of this tribute to the Bont.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSALb3QZ9WU

jeemak
14-08-2021, 09:32 AM
I haven't tasted vanilla for a while, thanks for posting.

Grantysghost
14-08-2021, 09:56 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/nZymwrrw9PjDa/giphy.gif
I haven't tasted vanilla for a while, thanks for posting.

jazzadogs
14-08-2021, 01:10 PM
It would be the perfect backing track for an AFL PlayStation game. They all sound the same.

Ella has a great voice though.

bornadog
30-09-2021, 03:51 PM
Enjoy the best of Bont 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFnLlSMeHl8

bornadog
24-11-2021, 04:39 PM
Bont did all of this before his 26th birthday....

4 x best & fairest

7x top 3 best & fairest

4 x All-Australian

1x AFLPA MVP

Premiership player

Happy birthday, young king

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FE6bSkNVEAQMUZu?format=jpg&name=large

azabob
24-11-2021, 05:57 PM
Tick tock, Dogs, Tick tock, lets not waste this mans ability.

GVGjr
24-11-2021, 06:00 PM
Tick tock, Dogs, Tick tock, lets not waste this mans ability.

Spot on. Our time is now.

bornadog
01-06-2022, 11:17 AM
Anyone watch Marcus interviewed by his cousin Nick Del Santo on Fox Footy?

Talked about,

2016 Grandfinal and how young they were, 2021 Grandfinal and the 3rd quarter, 2017 let down amongst other things.

Watch the interview here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1140510/face-to-face-marcus-bontempelli?videoId=1140510&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1654047041001)

BornInDroopSt'54
04-06-2022, 08:13 PM
A team of 22 Marcus Bontempellis would beat any team ever,
although v 22 Whittens, I'd like yo see that!.

bornadog
30-03-2023, 11:42 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FsYtJa4aUAAQL3d?format=jpg&name=medium

Happy Days
30-03-2023, 11:44 AM
It’s somehow weird and yet perfectly in character for him to get the most tattoo-ey tattoo that there is.

bornadog
30-03-2023, 11:48 AM
It’s somehow weird and yet perfectly in character for him to get the most tattoo-ey tattoo that there is.

As long as it isn't a stringer tatt

Sedat
30-03-2023, 11:48 AM
You should never put stickers on a Ferrari

EasternWest
30-03-2023, 11:51 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FsYtJa4aUAAQL3d?format=jpg&name=medium

Thanks I hate it.

You should never put stickers on a Ferrari

What if it's a Ferrari sticker on a Ferrari?

Jasper
30-03-2023, 11:54 AM
As long as it isn't a stringer tatt

I saw this the other day on Twitter and I wondered how long it would take you to report it.
Thoughts on this by Marcus Bornadog?

bornadog
30-03-2023, 11:58 AM
I saw this the other day on Twitter and I wondered how long it would take you to report it.
Thoughts on this by Marcus Bornadog?

Not sure what you want me to say

Jasper
30-03-2023, 12:11 PM
Not sure what you want me to say

It okay if you dont want to share your views on it. I find it surprising and out of character from Marcus but its a young mans world now.

Grantysghost
30-03-2023, 12:17 PM
I've got the full shot :

https://hips.hearstapps.com/ghk.h-cdn.co/assets/16/30/480x240/landscape-1469743884-bad-tattoo-index.jpg

bornadog
30-03-2023, 12:24 PM
It okay if you dont want to share your views on it. I find it surprising and out of character from Marcus but its a young mans world now.

I hate tatts , but it's not my body. He can do what he wants.

Here is my last tatt :D

https://odditymall.com/includes/content/upload/no-ragrets-temporary-tattoo-2663.jpg

Jasper
30-03-2023, 12:27 PM
So there it is, bornadog hates fats and tatts.

bornadog
30-03-2023, 12:31 PM
So there it is, bornadog hates fats and tatts.

strange post.

Jasper
30-03-2023, 12:33 PM
strange post.

Sorry it was an attempt at some levity.

EasternWest
30-03-2023, 01:42 PM
Sorry it was an attempt at some levity.

I chuckled.

chef
30-03-2023, 02:46 PM
Sorry BAD I laughed too.

I also have a few tatts so Im not sure if its much of an issue nowadays.

hujsh
30-03-2023, 02:56 PM
Anyone else think he is absolutely the best pick as captain?

bornadog
30-03-2023, 02:57 PM
Sorry BAD I laughed too.

I also have a few tatts so I am not sure if its much of an issue nowadays.

Mate it is ok to laugh. Jasper didn't have an emoji and I am sensitive to some posters.

Anyhow, as I said I don't care if anyone has tatts.

Quick story - during the 2021 GF, my daughter came over to watch with me (she missed 2016 due to being overseas). When we were winning we made a pack that we would get Bulldogs logo tatts if we won.

bornadog
30-03-2023, 02:58 PM
Anyone else think he may not be the best pick as captain?

He is so impressive when he talks and leads by example on field. Personally he is a great Captain.

EasternWest
30-03-2023, 03:02 PM

No. And because woof says I can't just say "no", definitely not.

GVGjr
30-03-2023, 03:11 PM
He's an outstanding captain and so articulate when he fronts the media and supporters. More worrying to me is chasm between him and any one of the other players from a captain or leadership perspective.

Mantis
30-03-2023, 03:32 PM
He's an outstanding captain and so articulate when he fronts the media and supporters. More worrying to me is chasm between him and any one of the other players from a captain or leadership perspective.

Agree with this.

We've had a merry-go -round underneath him in terms of the leadership group and his recent deputies haven't exactly been outstanding candidates for any number of reasons.

Jasper
30-03-2023, 03:34 PM
Sorry BAD I laughed too.

I also have a few tatts so Im not sure if its much of an issue nowadays.

Im sure a few wins will bring out his more placid and fun loving side.
Just as well I didnt go with with my original thought of Hates Tatts and Fats but loves his Stats. ;)
(Note to self - use emojis)

I will take a wider berth now Bornadog until Im out of the some posters group.

GVGjr
30-03-2023, 03:40 PM
Agree with this.

We've had a merry-go -round underneath him in terms of the leadership group and his recent deputies haven't exactly been outstanding candidates for any number of reasons.

That's so true. The leadership group should be where we developed some others but we can't say we've seen any genuine candidates emerge.
JT, Dunks, JJ, Wally and Hunter have all cycled in an out quickly for various reasons and we might need to be chips in on Naughton now.

EasternWest
30-03-2023, 03:58 PM
I will take a wider berth now Bornadog.

What is this a joke within a joke? Is it jokeception?

soupman
30-03-2023, 04:07 PM
Quick story - during the 2021 GF, my daughter came over to watch with me (she missed 2016 due to being overseas). When we were winning we made a pack that we would get Bulldogs logo tatts if we won.

Me and my sisters had a Premiership tattoo pact that we discovered after 2016 none of us intended to follow through on.

bornadog
30-03-2023, 04:27 PM
Me and my sisters had a Premiership tattoo pact that we discovered after 2016 none of us intended to follow through on.

Not sure if I would have. Daughter has tattoos already.

Axe Man
30-03-2023, 04:41 PM
Not sure if I would have. Daughter has tattoos already.

Get the logo on your face BAD so we can identify you at games.

bornadog
30-03-2023, 06:43 PM
Get the logo on your face BAD so we can identify you at games.
Ok win 5 premierships ina row and I will consider it ����

EasternWest
30-03-2023, 09:07 PM

Bont could do nothing for the rest of this game and this question has been put to bed.

Bad boy hujsh. Bad boy.

hujsh
30-03-2023, 11:00 PM

Can someone ban this dumb idiot troll?

hujsh
30-03-2023, 11:05 PM
Bont could do nothing for the rest of this game and this question has been put to bed.

Bad boy hujsh. Bad boy.

He did everything I wanted to see. Physical early, strong in the contest but most importantly with real intent to defend whenever he could.

I got very annoyed at one point in the Saints game when I saw him (much like the rest of the team) drifting along when zoning, kind of guarding a pointless piece of space about 5-10 metres away from the man on the mark. I thought maybe we needed someone willing to set the example for the mids.

No doubt he set the tone with defensive efforts as a mid today. Was also good to see him there for Jamarra at the interview there at the end. I'm glad I was corrected and take full credit for spurring that response.

Prince Imperial
31-03-2023, 01:18 AM
Just a little thing, but at half time in the VFL, Marcus walked around the ground with Jamarra. Don't know what was said but it was great solidarity from our captain that helped settle Jamarra and get his mind right for the AFL match.

Hotdog60
31-03-2023, 07:48 AM
Tatts look great if you're a Collingwood supporter. :)

Not my thing but each to their own.

1eyedog
31-03-2023, 08:00 AM
Good tattoo shame thread ;) I'll be be wearing long sleeves at the annual WOOF gala dinner at the EJ Whitten social club.

lemmon
31-03-2023, 08:02 AM
Just a little thing, but at half time in the VFL, Marcus walked around the ground with Jamarra. Don't know what was said but it was great solidarity from our captain that helped settle Jamarra and get his mind right for the AFL match.

Marra was also interviewed on TV post game and Bont was standing with him. Marra got a bit emotional and Bont took the cue to jump in, said Marra was like a little brother to him.

Special connection between those two.

Happy Days
31-03-2023, 08:04 AM
Can someone ban this dumb idiot troll?

Wait that was a real post?

EasternWest
31-03-2023, 08:33 AM

Let's say it was even if it wasn't so we can continue to posterise hujsh.

hujsh
31-03-2023, 10:42 AM

It's actually fake news, the original post clearly says he's the best captain then everyone else edited the quote as a joke.

You might see my post has been edited but that's because I noticed a small grammatical error that wasn't appropriate in the Marcus Bontempelli Appreciation thread (which I started lest we forget).

Axe Man
31-03-2023, 12:31 PM
Barrett is on board:

IF ...
all the great midfielders are lined up on the wall and I've got one pick ...

THEN ...
I'm still taking Bont. As I would have for every season since 2015. He's still the best. There was no way he was walking off Marvel Stadium on Thursday night without the W.

Hotdog60
08-06-2023, 06:58 AM
I was thinking this morning and wondering if at some stage we should move The Bont behind the ball.
Before you come back with you don't move your best centre clearance player out of the middle here's my reasoning.
Marcus who is constantly being locked down by the opposition I think is starting to take a toll on his body.
As with previous seasons he looks great until he get a injury look at the hip and this year I think the knee is now a problem.
My thought process is this, to give Marcus a bit more longevity in the game may be half back wouldn't be so bad and we can exploit his skill from there and let him be the tackler instead of him being tackled.
Utilize his fantastic skills and vision to set us up. Think of some of his raking left foot passes into the forward line only coming off half back to set us up.
He's a smart footballer with good vision and he may have more time to use those skills. I'm not saying do it now but in the near future we will need to find a replacement in the middle so another good reason to draft a skilled mid for the future.
I think Marcus has been carrying limiting niggles for the last 3 or 4 seasons and since that tackle 3 weeks ago he hasn't been the same.

hujsh
08-06-2023, 09:35 AM
Well... Boyd did it. In a more high profile case Hodge did it. It's a maybe for me.

macca
12-06-2023, 11:00 AM
We should be rotating him out of the middle. Maybe Macrae or Smith have more CBA .
We are 1 big body mid short this season with Dunks out

His body is taking a battering in the middle , it is time the rest of the team share the workload

JanLorMill
12-06-2023, 11:07 AM
We should be rotating him out of the middle. Maybe Macrae or Smith have more CBA .
We are 1 big body mid short this season with Dunks out

His body is taking a battering in the middle , it is time the rest of the team share the workload
Bont is almost carrying the side at the moment. We want to win he needs to be in the action. If he isn’t fit then our chance diminish greatly.

macca
12-06-2023, 12:05 PM
Bont is almost carrying the side at the moment. We want to win he needs to be in the action. If he isn’t fit then our chance diminish greatly.

We are sounding like a Carlton now, beat Cripps beat carlton. Its only so long his body is going to withstand this. See Crisp's diminishing output this year.

Time to cut deep and starting find the players to rejuvenate the list in all positions.

josie
12-06-2023, 01:24 PM
We would be a bottom 4 side without Libba and Bont. That’s sad. Club has had years to address this. Elevating McComb is not the answer. I know we’ve been hamstrung by having draft picks gobbled up Marra and Darcy but that does not explain our stagnation.

I like the suggestion of moving Bont and giving his body a break. If it means we lose a few more games so be it.

1eyedog
12-06-2023, 10:58 PM
We are sounding like a Carlton now, beat Cripps beat carlton. Its only so long his body is going to withstand this. See Crisp's diminishing output this year.

Time to cut deep and starting find the players to rejuvenate the list in all positions.

Crisp? Jack Crisp? He's been pretty good this year Collingwood are sharing the load more though.

bornadog
31-08-2023, 12:08 AM
100+ AFL Coaches Votes in a season (began 2006):

3x - MARCUS BONTEMPELLI (2019, 2021, 2023)
2x - Gary Ablett Jnr, Patrick Dangerfield
1x - 11 players
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4xiOTFa0AAuL1Z?format=webp&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4xfjDMbEAA7tj6?format=webp&name=medium

bornadog
31-08-2023, 12:12 AM
5 times AA

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1696846426117115905/OIDPrSFj?format=webp&name=medium

comrade
31-08-2023, 09:00 AM
Absolutely blessed the day he walked through the door. Once in a lifetime player.

GVGjr
31-08-2023, 09:09 AM
Absolutely blessed the day he walked through the door. Once in a lifetime player.

No arguments there, the added advantage is the way he conducts himself off field and the way he presents in front of the media.
I don't think I've seen a more natural media performer than Bont when compared to all other Bulldog players unless you go back to Whitten.

EasternWest
31-08-2023, 09:37 AM
5 times AA

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1696846426117115905/OIDPrSFj?format=webp&name=medium

When we're married this will be the backdrop at the altar.

Sedat
31-08-2023, 10:05 AM
Yep. It would be a travesty if he ended up a 1 premiership player when he retires. We have absolute rolled gold we can build around for the next 5 years minimum, and we have to make it count.

Rocket Science
31-08-2023, 02:00 PM
Aye, there's nothing this feller deserves more than team success, he's just scooping up individual accolades for fun these days.

The flawless way he leads us demands the club be nothing short of relentless in helping him achieve it while we enjoy the privilege of his company.

angelopetraglia
31-08-2023, 02:02 PM
I love Bont.

bornadog
31-08-2023, 02:11 PM
I think he is now the best Bulldog of all time. (sorry Chris Grant)

I don't think I have ever seen a player influence a game as much as the Bont does.

EasternWest
31-08-2023, 02:36 PM
Aye, there's nothing this feller deserves more than team success, he's just scooping up individual accolades for fun these days.

The flawless way he leads us demands the club be nothing short of relentless in helping him achieve it while we enjoy the privilege of his company.

This is Bont's world. We just live in it.

Mantis
31-08-2023, 07:47 PM

I’m going to challenge this.

I rate Bont the best player I’ve seen in our jumper, but given our indifferent form over the past 2 years there is a part of his game I’m not comfortable with.

When the opposition has the ball he never gets to a man and is always finger pointing. If his teammates covered for him, like teammates of the very best players do at opposing clubs I wouldn’t be concerned, but we absolutely ****ing suck in this area and I wish he led by example in this part of the game, like he does in almost all others.

jazzadogs
31-08-2023, 08:39 PM

I rate Bont the best player I’ve seen in our jumper, but given our indifferent form over the past 2 years there is a part of his game I’m not comfortable with.

When the opposition has the ball he never gets to a man and is always finger pointing. If his teammates covered for him, like teammates of the very best players do at opposing clubs I wouldn’t be concerned, but we absolutely ****ing suck in this area and I wish he led by example in this part of the game, like he does in almost all others.

Isn't our game plan to guard space rather than a man? Isn't he directing his teammates to their spots in the zone and the 'grass' they are meant to be protecting?

Grantysghost
31-08-2023, 08:53 PM

Whens the last time players grabbed a man? It's all zoning off and working off the position of your team mate. Sadly I think the opposite can be useful especially when there are run ons.

Grantysghost
31-08-2023, 08:54 PM
Isn't our game plan to guard space rather than a man? Isn't he directing his teammates to their spots in the zone and the 'grass' they are meant to be protecting?

What JD said.

jazzadogs
31-08-2023, 08:59 PM
What JD said.

To be clear I'm not saying I LIKE it, but I think he's being a good captain by following instructions. If he was the one player who broke the zone and took a man would that be better or worse?

Grantysghost
01-09-2023, 08:07 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/c18s8H4t/Screenshot-20230901-190600.png (https://postimg.cc/F1NtMhSh)

angelopetraglia
01-09-2023, 08:20 PM
There should be a love button.

Grantysghost
01-09-2023, 08:53 PM
There should be a love button.

Look I really just post the photos, I mean of course I'm flattered and all, a like will do though.

Scorlibo
02-09-2023, 01:23 AM
Bont's AFLPA win after having already won it in 2021, and won an AFLCA award in 2019, got me thinking about the records for players winning either a Brownlow, AFLPA or AFLCA award in separate years. Ie. in how many distinct years has a player been judged the best in the competition by at least one of the coaches, players or umpires. Bont is one of only five players with three or more years:

Ablett - 5 (2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013)
Judd - 4 (2004, 2006, 2010, 2011)
Fyfe - 3 (2014, 2015, 2019)
Williams - 3 (1985, 1986, 1994)
Bontempelli - 3 (2019, 2021, 2023)

Fair company.

Mantis
02-09-2023, 07:54 AM

Yet none of them work hard enough, including him, to shut down the space.

Our work without the ball is extremely bad, like in the bottom 2-3 teams in the comp… and unfortunately our captain doesn’t set an amazing example in this area.

hujsh
02-09-2023, 10:57 AM

Our work without the ball is extremely bad, like in the bottom 2-3 teams in the comp? and unfortunately our captain doesn?t set an amazing example in this area.

I was annoyed enough by this in round 2 to question if he should be the captain. Standing 5m away from the man on the mark isn't exactly the best job you can do guarding space. Maybe that going too far but we never really did improve in that area and it doesn't seem like we have anyone really setting a standard there.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-09-2023, 12:02 PM

Our work without the ball is extremely bad, like in the bottom 2-3 teams in the comp? and unfortunately our captain doesn?t set an amazing example in this area.

It's like there's zero co-ordination amongst the players in this regard. Too many times you'd see 3, 4 or even 5 players jogging in the same area inside defensive 50, only for the opposition to find an unmanned player on his own.

So many of our issues come down to effort. If we had consistent and reliable effort from 90% of the group we'd be a much much better side straight away.

Rocco Jones
02-09-2023, 12:16 PM

Our work without the ball is extremely bad, like in the bottom 2-3 teams in the comp… and unfortunately our captain doesn’t set an amazing example in this area.

I definitely hear you and 100% agree re: the team but (idk if this is contrary to what you are saying anyway) I wonder how much is about effort and how much is about instruction.

Being worst 2-3 without the ball is no exaggeration at all. Basically we lost to Eagles. No other side would have been so loose with Tim Kelly. One dangerous mid in an other very meh mid team.

angelopetraglia
04-09-2023, 02:25 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F5JobIAbUAAo8RF?format=jpg&name=large

jazzadogs
04-09-2023, 05:47 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F5JobIAbUAAo8RF?format=jpg&name=large

Wouldn't it be lovely to win a flag with him in the rw&b Zak? You know it makes sense.

Grantysghost
04-09-2023, 06:07 PM
Wouldn't it be lovely to win a flag with him in the rw&b Zak? You know it makes sense.

Bailey Smith likes Port Adelaide right?